Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4169293 times)

Himu

Re: The Movie News Topic
« Reply #18720 on: February 14, 2014, 08:02:44 PM »
Superfriends kicked ass.
IYKYK

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #18721 on: February 14, 2014, 08:04:23 PM »
Fuck that nicca John Starks. Htown tore you apart.

why you gotta go there  :gloomy
AMC

Himu

« Reply #18722 on: February 14, 2014, 08:05:19 PM »
I still don't get how Wonder Woman is a hard sell? A warrior from the Amazon who kicks ass. Set it only in the Amazon, and have a large female cast. Men will watch it because tits and ass and action. Women will watch it because hey there's a woman kicking ass on screen.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #18723 on: February 14, 2014, 08:09:08 PM »
I don't see why that's so hard, especially with the technology we have now, which could make Wonder Woman larger than the rest of the cast.
IYKYK

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #18724 on: February 14, 2014, 08:11:08 PM »
Once MOS2 or whatever the fuck it ends up being comes out nerds will understand why a WW movie would bomb, no one wants to see a female action movie specially if there isn't nudity involved.
Drunk

Himu

« Reply #18725 on: February 14, 2014, 08:12:28 PM »
I was suggesting the LOTR perspective shot tricks.
IYKYK

Diunx

« Reply #18726 on: February 14, 2014, 08:23:35 PM »
I had one of those too :tocry

spoiler (click to show/hide)
found it in a dumpster in miami :neogaf
[close]
Drunk

Himu

« Reply #18727 on: February 14, 2014, 08:25:02 PM »
Once MOS2 or whatever the fuck it ends up being comes out nerds will understand why a WW movie would bomb, no one wants to see a female action movie specially if there isn't nudity involved.

Just a really bad post.

These are all critically acclaimed and did well at the box office in their respective countries.

After this list, I'm convinced: Angelina Jolie as Wonder Woman please.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #18728 on: February 14, 2014, 08:39:24 PM »
It is.

But :tocry
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #18729 on: February 14, 2014, 08:42:28 PM »
Yeah, I was going to bring up TR hence the Angelina Jolie thing. Also, is Hunger Games really low budget?
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18730 on: February 14, 2014, 09:05:02 PM »
Resident Evils as well.

I think you have to view a WW as amortized as part of a billion dollar project for a DC cinematic universe.  They do a WW movie so that they can make a shit load of money off of a Justice League trilogy. 

cool breeze

« Reply #18731 on: February 14, 2014, 09:06:09 PM »
you could probably use resident evil or underworld as examples.  I don't know much about either franchise, but from what I can tell they're led by women, cheap, and each have like half a dozen sequels so are somewhat successful.

I think for a wonder woman movie to get made you need a big director or some big draw to make it less risky (in the eyes of the studio).  either way the soonest a woman woman movie can happen now is like 2018 with how wb/dc are playing it.

Himu

« Reply #18732 on: February 14, 2014, 09:07:25 PM »
Resident Evils as well.

I think you have to view a WW as amortized as part of a billion dollar project for a DC cinematic universe.  They do a WW movie so that they can make a shit load of money off of a Justice League trilogy.

Agreed
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18733 on: February 14, 2014, 09:40:17 PM »

:lawd :whew
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18734 on: February 14, 2014, 09:44:08 PM »
She basically was Wonder Woman. :lol
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18735 on: February 14, 2014, 09:46:33 PM »
She would have been a pretty awesome Wonder Woman back in the day. 

Can you imagine if Sam Raimi had directed a Lucy Lawless Wonder Woman movie in the 90's?

:lawd
©@©™

cool breeze

« Reply #18736 on: February 14, 2014, 10:02:10 PM »
yeah, I'd prefer an action-comedy wonder woman movie over a seriouser thor, which is what I imagine it would be today.

or maybe wb/dc will move away from the serious thing.  man of steel was made before avengers, and the movie is being rewritten by not-david goyer.  it's kinda happening with amazing spider-man.

Tasty

« Reply #18737 on: February 14, 2014, 11:57:17 PM »
From what I understood he was kicked off that project, he didn't leave it.

WB's gotta be smacking themselves silly after seeing what he did with Avengers.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18738 on: February 15, 2014, 12:00:09 AM »
Maybe smacking themselves silly explains a lot of their actions; self inflicted distinguished mentally-challenged is no laughing matter.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #18739 on: February 15, 2014, 06:31:45 AM »
can I just say that I was personally angry with Hollywood for opening Gina Carano's excellent film Haywire on the exact same day as the last installment of the Underworld franchise.

not just because they were pitting the extremely rare female led action films against each other, but also because they were pitting extremely rare R-rated action films against each other.  If Haywire hadn't tanked she could have been a female Statham by now.  I'd be down for that (and yes, maybe she's not the best actress, but would anyone have objected to her as Wonder Women).

Mupepe

• Icon
Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #18740 on: February 15, 2014, 11:50:03 AM »
The Godfather

Being a child who grew up during 90s parody-mania, it was hard to take this movie seriously seeing it for the first time. I was distracted thinking about which Leslie Nielsen movie or Simpsons episode I remember basically every scene from.
Ha. My wife had the same issue when I got her to watch it a few years ago. The influence of the movie is crazy considering she grew up in El Salvador but still basically knew the entire movie from pop culture references

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #18741 on: February 15, 2014, 06:17:46 PM »
You're Next was really entertaining.
nat

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #18742 on: February 15, 2014, 09:12:41 PM »
Her
Spike's weakest film, imo. It was particularly the screenplay that fell flat, and I suspect it has to do with Spike Jonze being the sole writer this time around. The story is predictable, and strangely nonsensical regarding certain characters' motives. I couldn't help feeling that if you replaced the AI character with a human, this movie would be a very by-the-numbers romance flick. However, it's worth mentioning that Hoyte van Hoytema's cinematography is absolutely eye-popping in this film, as well as the Arcade Fire-arranged soundtrack that often accompanies gorgeous shots of the Los Angeles skyline.
SRY

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #18743 on: February 15, 2014, 09:45:08 PM »
Black Sunday / Mask of Satan - Brooklyn Academy of Music's film group is showing a series of female led revenge films and so I lept at the opportunity to see Mario Bava's first film on the big screen.  The dubbing is hoooooooooorible and the foley effects are kind of weak which leads to several moments of unintentional hilarity but the shots and the atmosphere are quite good still.  There were several scenes where members of the audience would gasp so the film still holds a great deal of power if you can see past the limitations of budget and looping.

tomorrow I get to see Possession on the big screen.

fukkkk yeah.
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #18744 on: February 16, 2014, 07:40:44 PM »
I didn't go see Possession.  Apparently they're showing the American cut which is 45 minutes shorter than the original.

instead i stayed at home and watched a ton of indie horror films trying to find the gems

The Frankenstein Theory - Ever wanted to see a less scary Blair Witch where they hunt for Frankenstein's Monster instead?  A horror blog I follow said this was good.  They were wrong.

Wake Wood - part of a resurgence in "folk horror" (like Wicker Man) which is modern people encountering "old ritual" ways usually in the villages of England.  This is essentially Pet Semetary with a UK twist.  I liked it.  It's less melodramatic than PS though it says the same things about loss and a parents willingness to go to any length for their children.

Simon Killer - I'm on the fence.  It's a nice slow burn look at a sociopath who uses people to get the attention he craves, but that slow burn is so slow. 

Toad Road - hardcore kids in rural PA take drugs, fuck and explore a "bad place" with kind of cosmic horror over tones.  It fits in perfectly with my interests in people encounter something they can't possibly understand and it destroys them, but it was way too much a mumblecore film that seemed to have the horror tacked on rather than actually saying anything.    Update: The actress Sara Anne Jones
died of a drug overdose shortly after the premiere of this film.  This was her first film and in it, she plays the woman who gets "lost" This information coupled with the content of the film really makes it even more powerful.  It's a damn shame.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 08:13:24 PM by Eric P »
Tonya

Rahxephon91

« Reply #18745 on: February 17, 2014, 05:36:58 PM »
So I saw Robocop. It's kind of bad maybe not completely. It feels like it's almost there.

Well for one the actions scenes are all kind of terrible. Really bad shakey cam. There's a part where someone is just walking in alley way that for some reason the movie feels the need to shake even that. It makes pretty much every action scene except the end one pretty terrible. It's amazing that a shootout in a hallway is nigh incomprehensible and also really unexciting.

The movie attempts satire and attacks the easy target of Fox News. It kind of does a good job there, but Fox News is such an easy target. Still some of it's points about how conservative media handles big issues like gun control are cleverly spoofed in the movie, but thats the thing. The movie has some good things, but it never really goes anywhere. It almost actually has something to say about gun violence, but it never goes anywhere with it. Hell, I wouldn't mind if it was as obvious as Elysium was with it's social message. Like there's a good scene early in the movie where a robot guns down a kid because he has a weapon and just reacts instead of thinking. That goes nowhere and instead clings on the over repeating plot point of "Robocop is a human, not a robot".

The 3rd act is kind of lazy. The movie lacks any real villains so in the end the 3rd fact is pretty unsatisfying as it's basically Robocop handling a lose end. Yet there really wasn't much buildup to the movie's conclusion.

It has the robocop theme for a second in the beginning and it basically hums in the movie two times. Then when you think the credits are going to go full blast with it, you get a shitty cover of "I fought the law". Which I think basically sums up the movie somehow.

It's almost good, but never gives you what you want and in the end plays it safe and is a safe Hollywood movie with no bite. It could have, but it lacks any real personality for that to happen. It just kind of goes through the familiar plot points of "Murphy is a human still and ceo is bad". Just really unexciting and it's a shame because it feels like there was something there.

Not the worst remake, but it sure didn't justify itself.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #18746 on: February 17, 2014, 07:29:27 PM »
More films!

In The Dark Half- I really liked this.  It's folk horror but it's also straddling the line between "is this real or is this a psychotic break?" A young girl thinks that her house is being haunted after the death of a young boy in her care.  The father has a vision while hunting that the deer he targets turns to the boy at the last minute.  The father blames himself and the town blames the girl.  The girl blames spirits which telling the father that the boy is stuck between this world and the next and cannot move forward without his father.  It's very lackadaisical and a bit meandering, but I really quite liked it.

Alyce Kills - I REALLY liked this one.  A woman accidentally pushes her friend off the roof and then has a break from reality as she descends into a nihilism brought on by guilt.  IT IS NUTS.  Good acting, good script (though a bit speech-y at times), and a very very very sloppy ending.  Should keep the gore hounds happy (if they can even make it that far, it's catering to a very deliberate demographic).

Dario Argento's Dracula - I made it 20 minutes in before deciding I had other things to do with my life. 

Tonya

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #18747 on: February 18, 2014, 11:56:16 PM »
___

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #18748 on: February 19, 2014, 12:28:18 AM »
kept expecting Will Smith to show up

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #18749 on: February 19, 2014, 01:25:46 AM »
Haven't read a single Guardians of the Galaxy comic but I'm hyped!
WDW

Himu

« Reply #18750 on: February 19, 2014, 01:29:45 AM »

I've never read a single issue of this comic and I loved this trailer. Is the comic this hilarious?
IYKYK

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #18751 on: February 19, 2014, 01:31:32 AM »
Looks sick
zzzzz

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #18752 on: February 19, 2014, 01:58:32 AM »
I never read any Guardians comics but I read a bunch of Infinity Watch stuff with Drax and Gamora back when I used to read comics. Guardians looks really funny.
yar

cool breeze

« Reply #18753 on: February 19, 2014, 02:03:21 AM »
I don't know anything about the guardians of the galaxy comics.  but the trailer looks like a fun, cheesy, space adventure.  looking forward to it.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18754 on: February 19, 2014, 08:01:59 AM »

NOBODY has read the Guardians of the Galaxy. Welcome to the club!

Diunx

« Reply #18755 on: February 19, 2014, 09:18:08 AM »
Will be better than the new star wars movies.
Drunk

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #18756 on: February 19, 2014, 11:13:06 AM »

I went into this video not wanting to give a shit but now I'm actually kinda sold on this movie, and it looks like everyone else here is, too. Goddamn, Disney. You're on a roll.
SRY

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #18757 on: February 19, 2014, 01:44:54 PM »
Damn, Marvel is somehow going to pull off a Guardian's of the Galaxy(!) movie while DC is trying to make Superman vs Batman: How is This a Good Idea work
vin

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18758 on: February 19, 2014, 01:51:27 PM »
DC is so scared of another Green Lantern-esque failure that they can't do anything that doesn't have Superman and/or Batman in it. It's stupid, because Marvel shows it's imminently possible to be successful with superheroes that nobody even cares about.
dog

« Reply #18759 on: February 19, 2014, 02:02:52 PM »
Trailer was great. Really curious what Bradley Cooper is doing for Rocket's voice.
野球

Himu

« Reply #18760 on: February 19, 2014, 10:21:31 PM »
DC really needs to take notes.
IYKYK

cool breeze

« Reply #18761 on: February 19, 2014, 10:59:30 PM »
I read the one with the raccoon cause I tend to read comics of upcoming movies to get more familiar with it. It was OK, the trailer looks great, though. And was of the opinion that it was probably going to suck.

The buzz on this movie is insane now, people are talking about it everywhere. Marvel is winning when it comes to promoting their movies, cause Supes/Bat has been a clustefuck of decisions from one end and bitching on the other.

yeah, but batman vs superman is 2+ years away.  that's the only dc film and there's reason to promote it yet.  I mean, in that time marvel is putting out guardians of the galaxy, captain america 2, ant-man, avengers 2, and unannounced movies for 2016...I can't remember what my point was.

tbh I don't think there's any real losing here.  batman vs superman will make a ton of money even if it's (fingers crossed) 2 hours of batman climbing a ladder that superman keeps extending.  but again, that's 2016.  even if wb/dc were stuck with man of steel and the original plan was to release in 2015, they could've had something for late 2014 or an addition movie for 2015.  fox and sony both jumped on this and have sequels for sequels for unreleased movies announced.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18762 on: February 19, 2014, 11:08:38 PM »

i've actually read both incarnations... let's just say i'm happy we're getting the rocket/groot team and not the vance astro team.

[close]

I was a huge fan of Rocket Raccoon's Mignola run. :shrug
[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18763 on: February 19, 2014, 11:11:13 PM »
DC really needs to take notes.

Ironically, there's a school of thought which states that all DC does is take notes on Marvel. Too bad they appear to be the wrong notes.
http://comicsalliance.com/dc-comics-marvel-golden-age-silver-age-comics-history/

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #18764 on: February 19, 2014, 11:39:50 PM »

i've actually read both incarnations... let's just say i'm happy we're getting the rocket/groot team and not the vance astro team.

You are getting Yondo though

[close]
___

Himu

« Reply #18765 on: February 19, 2014, 11:44:09 PM »
Goddamit why didn't they name the Raccoon Rocky?

ROCKY RACCOON

WENT INTO HIS ROOM

ONLY TO FIND GIDEON'S BIBLE
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #18766 on: February 20, 2014, 12:49:56 AM »
I'm holding on for my X-Factor movie.

JAMIE MADROX.

The best Marvel team :rejoice
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #18767 on: February 20, 2014, 01:56:47 AM »
If Marvel really wants to impress me, they'll make a Great Lakes Avengers movie
yar

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #18768 on: February 20, 2014, 02:11:26 AM »
Scott Pilgrim was good.

Is there a reason people are hyped for Guardians of the Galaxy besides the trailer and Chris Pratt?  Sincere question, since I don't follow this stuff closely.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #18769 on: February 20, 2014, 02:24:55 AM »
If Marvel really wants to impress me, they'll make a Great Lakes Avengers movie
If DC really wants to impress me, they'll start with a Justice League Detroit movie to build up hype for a Justice League International movie, and then some Booster Gold and Ted Kord buddy team-up films, or maybe a TV series.

And they can use Fire to spin-off for Checkmate. Also Secret Six. We can leave Suicide Squad to the upcoming game for now.

Then with the tens of billions in profit we can really do justice for the series of Shadowpact and Doom Patrol films. Can't wait to see Red Jack, the Brotherhood of Dada and The Scissormen on the big screen.

cool breeze

« Reply #18770 on: February 20, 2014, 02:28:43 AM »
Ant-man sounds interesting for being labeled a heist comedy.  I think moving away from the usual comic movie format is a good thing.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #18771 on: February 20, 2014, 02:50:47 AM »
Forgot to mention the Starman film so we can get to The Shade films.
see, the difference between talking about marvel putting second-stringers on the big screen and dc doing it is that there is precedent for marvel doing it, while dc can't even jam half of the justice league into their own movies yet.
It's really kinda crazy that since X-Men kicked this all off we're going to have 8 X-Men/Wolverine films, 6 Spider-Man films plus everything Marvel's done themselves, not to mention two Punisher films and two Ghost Rider films over the same time frame that there's been six Batman and Superman movies combined plus Green Lantern.

Fuck, there was even Daredevil, Elektra and the two Fantastic Four ones (plus that reboot coming).

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #18772 on: February 20, 2014, 02:51:03 AM »
The Worlds End had better fight scenes then most contemporary comic book movies.
Hell, better then most non-Asian martial arts films if I'm being honest.

and there have been in the last decade Warner Bros productions of Hellblazer, The Losers (Vertigo properties, but under the DC umbrella) and Jonah Hex, all potential franchise starters that went nowhere.  Those characters could be considered kinda B-list.  Whiteout was another hugely unprofitable Warner Bros made comic book movie, but DC didn't make the source material.

and Catwomen, there was a (unbelievably shitty) Catwomen movie.

So, Warner/DC has been trying, they really have, to exploit their properties.  They just suck at it.

Himu

« Reply #18773 on: February 20, 2014, 08:19:18 AM »
Guyssssss, Michael B Jordan is playing the HUMAN TORCH. :gladbron :whoo

Black people we finally did it.

Where's wallace?!

In Hollywood, D. In Hollywood. :tocry

I have never seen such a young black actor go to such heights so fast. Mr. Jordan, godspeed.

And during BLACK HISTORY MONTH too! :rejoice

We have our new Will Smith, except he can act!

« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 08:24:47 AM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #18774 on: February 20, 2014, 08:40:26 AM »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #18775 on: February 20, 2014, 08:47:38 AM »
Read the comments on that page.

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #18776 on: February 20, 2014, 08:49:39 AM »
Adoption.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #18777 on: February 20, 2014, 09:16:45 AM »
For the most part, Marvel Ultimate line period  :yuck

And yes, it is cowardly.

I was looking forward to a swi-irlllll after finding Michael is playing Johnny.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #18778 on: February 20, 2014, 09:31:25 AM »
Johnny is pretty much the only one cast that I'm okay with.  Sue should be black and older, Reed should be older and showing people he's down with the swirl, and Ben needs to be a lot older, too.

The casting seems cowardly and cheap on the whole.  Looking at it cynically, I think they want a black Torch for diversity, demographics, and a small bit of controversy, but they're avoiding black Sue cuz they're uncomfortable with a black female main character/a white male-black female relationship/having half the team be non-white. 

I'm an FF fan and I don't really want to see this already.  Ultimate FF :yuck

That's not controversial in casting films, and especially television (see: Scandal). The reverse, black man-white woman, is rarely done because it can be controversial. IIRC Will Smith doesn't kiss his white wife in Hitchcock.

I'm fine with Torch and Grimm. Can't stand Kate Mara, and Mr. Fantastic looks like a goof...but then again he IS Mr. Fantastic...

Himu

« Reply #18779 on: February 20, 2014, 09:45:33 AM »
Man, I wish they'd change comic characters race/gender more often. They're glorified mythology characters anyways.
IYKYK