Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4266596 times)

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #3480 on: February 14, 2010, 07:43:38 PM »
Miller's Crossing - I really liked the relatively "light-hearted" approach to the gangster flick - it was serious yet some bits really cracked me up.  I'm slowly working my way through the Coen films and this one really reminded me of No Country where the characters are really interesting and memorable.  Out of the few Coen films I've seen it's me second-fave after No County (tons of their films still to go though).

Equilibrium - I liked it, kept me interested.  Acting was good, and the storyline was pretty good for something that has been covered a lot before.  I just realised I don't recall any blatant CG shots standing out like dog's balls which is pretty cool.  The fight scenes are a bit silly at times but nothing too distracting.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #3482 on: February 14, 2010, 08:46:22 PM »
Miller's Crossing is the closest we'll get to a real film version of Red Harvest.  It was pretty good, but I still think it's one of their weaker movies, due to the casting of Marcia Gay Harden as the female lead.  She has zero chemistry with Gabriel Byrne.

EDIT:

Green Shinobi saying Titanic isn't a melodrama.  :lol
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 08:51:25 PM by Ichirou »
PS4

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #3483 on: February 14, 2010, 08:48:43 PM »
inglourious basterds > pulp fiction.

Oh hell no.

the opening sequence alone blows away everything in pf.

besides, jackie brown > pulp fiction, anyway!

my ranking* would be this: ib > jb > pf > rd > kbvol2 > kbvol1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> rosario dawson's big ass feet >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> death proof

*in memoriam of cheebs

I agree with your ranking, especially putting KB Volume 2 over the first.
🍆🍆

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #3484 on: February 14, 2010, 08:55:29 PM »
Kill Bill 2 is my favorite Tarantino movie. *shrugs*

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #3485 on: February 14, 2010, 08:56:30 PM »
CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEBS
PS4

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3486 on: February 14, 2010, 09:02:25 PM »
Miller's Crossing is the closest we'll get to a real film version of Red Harvest.  It was pretty good, but I still think it's one of their weaker movies, due to the casting of Marcia Gay Harden as the female lead.  She has zero chemistry with Gabriel Byrne.

I know a lot of people put Miller's Crossing really high on their Coen list, but I feel the same way. It had a lot of parts that were really good, but it just didn't click with me like some of the others did.
dog

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #3487 on: February 14, 2010, 09:11:46 PM »
It's weird because it has everything that I usually like in these types of movies, but it also doesn't click with me.  Whereas another mob film of the same basic type, The Untouchables, is one of my all-time favorites.
PS4

Green Shinobi

« Reply #3488 on: February 14, 2010, 09:39:46 PM »
Green Shinobi saying Titanic isn't a melodrama.  :lol

I don't see it. When I think of melodrama, I think of something with simplistic, manipulative, overwrought and exaggerated dramatic effects. Titanic was just a classic love story told against the backdrop of a famous disaster.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #3489 on: February 14, 2010, 09:44:36 PM »
Titanic IS simplistic, manipulative, overwrought, and EXAGGERATED.  You have a 160 IQ - why can't you see that?!  Next you'll say Douglas Sirk's movies weren't melodramas either.
PS4

Green Shinobi

« Reply #3490 on: February 14, 2010, 09:51:44 PM »
It's exaggerated by the nature of its setting, which is an important difference to me. Otherwise, the romance is quite restrained for most of the film.

Either some people's definition of melodrama is way too broad or mine is way too narrow.

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #3491 on: February 14, 2010, 09:52:45 PM »
L.A Confidential rocked.

Green Shinobi

« Reply #3492 on: February 14, 2010, 09:56:29 PM »
L.A Confidential rocked.

Yeah, that movie was really damn good. Amazing cast.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #3493 on: February 15, 2010, 12:13:11 AM »
saw Donnie Darko. Pretty interesting, although I rolled my eyes at some of the parts that are probably championed by hipster losers; same thing I did during Juno.

I actually watched it, then watched it 10min later with my brother.

Green Shinobi

« Reply #3494 on: February 15, 2010, 12:28:16 AM »
So basically you watched it once, waited ten minutes, then got your brother to come watch it with you again?

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #3495 on: February 15, 2010, 12:36:59 AM »
Nah, he wanted to watch it so I decided to watch it with him

better than Avatar, if you're wondering

Green Shinobi

« Reply #3496 on: February 15, 2010, 12:38:55 AM »
Nah, he wanted to watch it so I decided to watch it with him

better than Avatar, if you're wondering

Cool story bro.

Few films have ever offered such insightful analysis of pop culture as Donnie Darko with its Smurfs discussion.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #3497 on: February 15, 2010, 01:09:53 AM »
I would have hated Titanic, but the nuanced, mulit-dimensional Billy Zane won me over.

cool breeze

« Reply #3498 on: February 15, 2010, 01:20:13 AM »
Billy Zane's character development is amazing in Titanic.  You thought it had peaked when he shooting at those two as the boat was going down, but a few scenes later you see him steal a child just to pretend to be the father and gain passage on a boat.  Hell, he manages to top himself again in a later scene when he beats people off the boat. 

Green Shinobi

« Reply #3499 on: February 15, 2010, 01:20:57 AM »
 :lol He's probably the least nuanced character, but he's far from one-dimensional. As one of the best Titanic reviews I've read states:

His portrayal of Cal's passions, greed, selfishness, and yet his genuine desire and concern for Rose is exquisite.

A difficult character to empathize with, Cal nevertheless shares his pains, his schemes and his few joys with us subtly in facial expressions and tangled movements juxtaposed with refinement and ease. Twice, he shields Rose with his coat when she is being exposed to the North Atlantic chill. Perhaps he's just being a gentleman, but it is to HIS lady. If not passionate love, he at least has real consideration for his fiancee: "I know you've been melancholy. I don't pretend to know why." Perhaps it is a purely possessive form of love, but Cal genuinely WANTS an emotional intimacy with Rose: "There's nothing I couldn't give you. There's nothing I'd deny you if you would not deny me. (Pleading) Open your heart to me, Rose."

Stay with that same scene. Rose stares blankly in her dressing mirror, a small music box tinkles away some childish melody. Enter Cal with the Heart of the Ocean. Placing it upon her neck, he sits on the dresser, where he closes the box, oblivious of its presence in the moment. Oh, there's plenty to empathize with there. The most unique and expensive piece of jewelry in man's creation, offered in love, begging for devotion, as that same love and devotion silences the sounds of Rose's dreams.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #3500 on: February 15, 2010, 02:58:34 AM »
Miller's Crossing - I really liked the relatively "light-hearted" approach to the gangster flick - it was serious yet some bits really cracked me up.  I'm slowly working my way through the Coen films and this one really reminded me of No Country where the characters are really interesting and memorable.  Out of the few Coen films I've seen it's me second-fave after No County (tons of their films still to go though).

Such a good movie.

Equilibrium - I liked it, kept me interested.  Acting was good, and the storyline was pretty good for something that has been covered a lot before.  I just realised I don't recall any blatant CG shots standing out like dog's balls which is pretty cool.  The fight scenes are a bit silly at times but nothing too distracting.

Such a shit movie.
SRY

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #3501 on: February 15, 2010, 03:16:47 AM »
As one of the best Titanic reviews I've read states:

Jesus, no wonder you didn't link to it.  It's an angelfire page.  It's pretty nostalgic seeing the colored text on a black background, interspersed with randomly placed pictures.

Anyway, this is obviously another instance of GS taking a stand without thinking too hard about it, then feeling like he has to defend that position.  He obviously cadged the definition of the genre from Wikipedia, so he's got a lot less invested in the question of "is Titanic a melodrama?" than he is in the meta-question of "does GS sometimes make rash declarations, which are kinda dumb in hindsight?"

I say we ease off him and start talking about how awesome L.A. Confidential is.  Which would be very.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #3502 on: February 15, 2010, 03:39:24 AM »
Yes, so many of GS's posts are obviously embarrassing shit that he says on the spur of the moment and then instead of just admitting he's mistaken, he feels obligated to not back down.

"Titanic isn't a melodrama!" is just the most bald-faced, obviously wrong-headed one, but he's made so many even in the short time since I've been back to this forum.
PS4

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #3503 on: February 15, 2010, 04:22:36 AM »
I say we ease off him and start talking about how awesome L.A. Confidential is.  Which would be very.
So awesome.  The only thing that disappointed me was when they let Russel Crowe's character live after being shot at point-blank though.

Green Shinobi

« Reply #3504 on: February 15, 2010, 07:08:33 AM »
Really? I took it from here:

http://anmedia.tripod.com/amm/movie.htm

Regardless, it's one of the most in-depth and well thought out analyses of the film that I've read. I'm not trying to make some appeal to authority by quoting the guy. It's no concern of mine where he chooses to go for his web hosting if he makes good points.

Yes, so many of GS's posts are obviously embarrassing shit that he says on the spur of the moment and then instead of just admitting he's mistaken, he feels obligated to not back down.

"Titanic isn't a melodrama!" is just the most bald-faced, obviously wrong-headed one, but he's made so many even in the short time since I've been back to this forum.

So not only are you completely unable to have a serious debate about anything, but you managed not to pick up on much in the way of real skill in analyzing a story despite all the films you've seen?

Just answer these two questions:

What makes something a melodrama?
Why is Titanic a melodrama?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 07:15:43 AM by Green Shinobi »

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #3505 on: February 15, 2010, 07:20:24 AM »
What makes something a melodrama?
Why is Titanic a melodrama?

I'm not doing your homework for you, dumbass.
PS4

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #3506 on: February 15, 2010, 07:26:53 AM »
Most people consider something that is really cheesy and kitschy emotionally as melodramatic.  In the case of Titanic, it was obvious every second of the film that it valued the emotions of the audience over building up the characterizations.  That's fine, it was still a fun film.  But that's of course not good writing.  I'm guessing that's why you like to rewatch LA Confidential more than Titanic.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #3507 on: February 15, 2010, 07:32:39 AM »
nintenho, why are you giving Shinobi a genuine answer?  When has this guy ever backed down from one of his stupid statements, no matter how repeatedly he gets owned and/or proven wrong?  This is why I refuse to engage him on an intellectual level - there's NOTHING TO ENGAGE.  There've been dozens of pages of Avatar talk, and he has proven to have not a whit of the critical thinking ability required to engage in a mature discussion, to back up his points cogently, or to back off when the evidence is overwhelmingly against him.

"Bubububu I have a 160 IQ! I have a bachelor's degree from one of the top party schools in the US!" ::)
PS4

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #3508 on: February 15, 2010, 07:38:47 AM »
Sooo LA Confidential.  Good movie I think! I haven't actually seen it myself.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #3509 on: February 15, 2010, 07:40:49 AM »
Brian Helgeland script, mayne.  Watch the Payback director's cut to see what else that guy can do.  He's really great at gritty, film noir-influenced stuff.
PS4

Green Shinobi

« Reply #3510 on: February 15, 2010, 07:42:40 AM »
Most people consider something that is really cheesy and kitschy emotionally as melodramatic.  In the case of Titanic, it was obvious every second of the film that it valued the emotions of the audience over building up the characterizations.  That's fine, it was still a fun film.  But that's of course not good writing.  I'm guessing that's why you like to rewatch LA Confidential more than Titanic.

So it depends on someone's judgment on the "cheesiness" level of the film, right? So if someone didn't think it was cheesy at all, it that person could be correct in saying he didn't think it was melodramatic?

Anyway, the characterizations are perfectly fine. Yes, Jack is poor and basically good-spirited. But he also has a lot of insights into life that most people around him lack. He's a little shady on the moral side (witness him stealing some guy's coat), and he's obviously associated with prostitutes in the past. He knows qiute a bit about art beyond just being able to sketch (witness him identify a Monet painting at first glance). He's clearly quite intelligent and cunning, with far more wisdom than his years would suggest. Overall he's developed quite well, not to the level of some great character out of literature, but certainly far more than one-dimensionally.

Also, the script was nominated for the WGA Awards.

Ichirou, all your arguments come down to arguing with this perceived notion of authority that you have because you've watched a lot of films, some of which are rather obscure, and which you can reference at the drop of a hat. But if you take that away, I don't think I've ever seen you make a single serious argument about anything. Willco, despite the fact that he was 100% trolling, made better stronger actual arguments in the Avatar thread than you did.

You're basically Powerslave with some more movies under his belt. That's it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 07:46:23 AM by Green Shinobi »

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #3511 on: February 15, 2010, 07:50:22 AM »
Ichirou, all your arguments come down to arguing with this perceived notion of authority that you have because you've watched a lot of films, some of which are rather obscure, and which you can reference at the drop of a hat. But if you take that away, I don't think I've ever seen you make a single serious argument about anything. Willco, despite the fact that he was 100% trolling, made better stronger actual arguments in the Avatar thread than you did.

You're basically Powerslave with some more movies under his belt. That's it.

That's just, like, your opinion, man. :smug

Besides, the only reason I don't make serious arguments is because I've yet to see genuine film discussion since I got back, since you basically take large steaming shits over every film-related thread with your Avatar crap.  You smother the discussion with your verbal feces before it even has a chance to blossom. :(
PS4

Green Shinobi

« Reply #3512 on: February 15, 2010, 07:53:33 AM »
You wouldn't know serious film discussion if it cock-smacked you in the face. Just about every poster in this thread has contributed far more to "serious film discussion" on this forum than you have. All you do is sit back and name-drop stuff like Miracle in Milan.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #3513 on: February 15, 2010, 07:55:00 AM »
Shit, man, no need to act all offended because you didn't know what Miracle in Milan was.  I mean, sure, it's not the last hour of Aliens, but it's still a good movie.
PS4

Green Shinobi

« Reply #3514 on: February 15, 2010, 08:15:48 AM »
Either way, this discussion is ridiculous. It's turned into a troll-fest with personal attacks being thrown around, and why? Because I said that the film that won Best Picture for 1997 deserved its award? Because I don't agree that some other film got robbed? I've even said that I really liked L.A. Confidential, but I thought that Titanic was a more significant achievement in film-making. And really, is that opinion so offensive that it's worth personally attacking someone over?

I encourage you to go look at am nintenho's posts on the subject (and in the Avatar thread) and then your own. am nintenho probably hasn't seen as many films as you, but he knows how to discuss things rationally without dropping insults on everyone who doesn't share his opinion.

Who knows, I might even contribute more to serious film-discussion if I didn't have to respond to troll posts and ad hominems every time I express an unconventional (for the bizarro internet) opinion.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 08:18:21 AM by Green Shinobi »

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #3515 on: February 15, 2010, 08:35:37 AM »
Titanic is not a melodrama!!!!
PS4

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #3516 on: February 15, 2010, 08:48:27 AM »
So it depends on someone's judgment on the "cheesiness" level of the film, right? So if someone didn't think it was cheesy at all, it that person could be correct in saying he didn't think it was melodramatic?
it's obviously subjective how you define something that is cheesy, kitschy, or melodramatic (which I think is all pretty much the same thing) but it's also understood that if you're debating with somebody about it, then you mostly agree on how you define anything subjective.  If not, then what's the point of the debate?\
Anyway, the characterizations are perfectly fine. Yes, Jack is poor and basically good-spirited. But he also has a lot of insights into life that most people around him lack. He's a little shady on the moral side (witness him stealing some guy's coat), and he's obviously associated with prostitutes in the past. He knows qiute a bit about art beyond just being able to sketch (witness him identify a Monet painting at first glance). He's clearly quite intelligent and cunning, with far more wisdom than his years would suggest. Overall he's developed quite well, not to the level of some great character out of literature, but certainly far more than one-dimensionally.
He's so poor and charming that nobody cares though.  The plot doesn't do anything to make you care about this romance going on.  A little poor guy full of spirit tries to get the rich girl who's stuck in a loveless marriage, under the backdrop of a humongous tragedy where thousands of people die.  The movie doesn't do anything to really make you care about that that romance.  There's no point where you're really thinking about whether you really like the protagonist or wondering how they became the way they are or any othher thing that is considered character development.  that's not a problem since it's just a fun spectacle but it wasn't the best movie that year.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 08:55:01 AM by am nintenho »

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #3517 on: February 15, 2010, 10:02:41 AM »
watched Pierre Lu Fou yesterday.  I realized that I had hit "movie nerd" status when I was able to provide a running commentary on the references for the gf to a film I hadn't yet seen.

i think the party scene is amazing, but goddamn there is a LOT of insano Goddard self indulgence though however, I love how abstract a lot of the film is.

Tonya

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #3518 on: February 15, 2010, 10:28:02 AM »
What happened to my friend :-\
PSP

Green Shinobi

« Reply #3519 on: February 15, 2010, 10:30:23 AM »
He's so poor and charming that nobody cares though.  The plot doesn't do anything to make you care about this romance going on.  A little poor guy full of spirit tries to get the rich girl who's stuck in a loveless marriage, under the backdrop of a humongous tragedy where thousands of people die.  The movie doesn't do anything to really make you care about that that romance.  There's no point where you're really thinking about whether you really like the protagonist or wondering how they became the way they are or any othher thing that is considered character development.  that's not a problem since it's just a fun spectacle but it wasn't the best movie that year.

I disagree with this. I felt a strong connection with Jack. He has a lot of the qualities that I like in a protagonist - intelligence, wit, courage, kindness, humility. He has a lot of insights into life that I may not personally agree with, but that I respect all the same. He also represents a rejection of the ideas that the position you are born into is anything more than luck, that personal worth is defined by monetary worth, and that being a "gentleman" is something you have to be born into. His rejection of those ideas is important because, quite frankly, elitism still exists to this day, though it isn't as prevalent as it was a century ago.

Rose is a girl who wants to reject the values and ideals she's grown up with that she believes to be in error, but she isn't quite sure how to do so. While she starts out as a sheltered, spoiled rich girl, she gains a great deal of personal strength, assertiveness and independent thinking by the end of the film, which happens step by step at several points throughout the film. I thought her character was developed quite well.

Since I liked the characters and felt a connection to them, is it surprising that I also enjoyed the story of their (doomed) romance? Some of the lines were a little cheesy, but seriously, find me a romantic film with no cheesy lines. Hell, find me a real-life romance where no cheesy lines were ever said. To me, it doesn't cross far enough into cheesy territory to count as melodrama. That's just my opinion, but to me, "melodrama" is sort of a dirty word. When I think "melodrama," I think of something that is unable to create dramatic or emotional effect on its own and relies on things like musical cues and overwrought dialogue to achieve these effects. Titanic isn't melodrama to me, but then again, I don't apply the word to every emotional film with the occasional cheesy moment. I reserve it for the most egregious offenders, of which Titanic certainly doesn't qualify in my book.

Furthermore, the film is an outstanding commentary on the nature of hubris. Someone called the film "Romeo and Juliet on a boat." To me, the strongest parallel to the film is The Masque of the Red Death by Edgar Allen Poe. Just as the nobles in that story thought they could escape death by walling up in their castle, so the rich characters in this film think they are protected from death by their money and the glory of human creation. In both stories, they are proved wrong. As I mentioned earlier, the shot where the camera pulls away from the sinking ship to show just how tiny it is in comparison with the huge ocean all around it is an absolutely brilliant shot. The moment towards the end when the deckhand rejects Cal's bribe offer and says "Your money will not save you" is the moment when this theme is fully realized. There are many moments in the final hour where this false reality that the rich have built up for themselves is torn down, such as when Rose's mother refers to having tea in her room once she returns from the deck after the alarm has been sounded, and when she asks if the lifeboats will be seated according to class before being confronted with the fact that more than half the people on the boat with them will die.

Overall, there's a lot in the film that appeals to me. If it doesn't appeal to you, fine. That's why we have opinions, after all.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3520 on: February 15, 2010, 10:32:44 AM »
What happened to my friend :-\

i also have The Haunting In Connecticut at home but haven't had a chance to watch that yet.

Tonya

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #3521 on: February 15, 2010, 10:35:37 AM »
Send it back to Netflix immediately, do not pass go.
PSP

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3522 on: February 15, 2010, 10:39:33 AM »
i've heard that, but i also read a defense of the film somewhere.

i should  probably be nervous that i can no longer find that defense online

Tonya

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #3523 on: February 15, 2010, 10:42:38 AM »
Sounds like some kind of fever dream.
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #3524 on: February 15, 2010, 10:48:47 AM »
Furthermore, the film is an outstanding commentary on the nature of hubris. Someone called the film "Romeo and Juliet on a boat." To me, the strongest parallel to the film is The Masque of the Red Death by Edgar Allen Poe.

[youtube=560,345]qh_IFymXS9o[/youtube]
PSP

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #3525 on: February 15, 2010, 10:54:10 AM »
Furthermore, the film is an outstanding commentary on the nature of hubris. Someone called the film "Romeo and Juliet on a boat." To me, the strongest parallel to the film is The Masque of the Red Death by Edgar Allen Poe.

[youtube=560,345]qh_IFymXS9o[/youtube]

The laughing shark scene was my favorite part of TITANIC: Director's Cut.

Green Shinobi

« Reply #3526 on: February 15, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »
WTF does a shark have to do with anything?  ???

I miss the old Willco who would try to make a point when he disagreed with something.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3527 on: February 15, 2010, 11:16:54 AM »
I saw Valentine's Day.

I'm usually a sucker for romantic comedies so I figured I would at least enjoy this but holy crap it was bad.  There are so many characters in the movie that only 4 characters get more than like 10 minutes of development time and half of that is just introducing them.  It was super predictable and cliche and just way too ambitious for its own good.  You could tell the movie was relying on its huge cast to draw people in.  

Oh and something that was just offensive: Towards the end when the guy is running to stop the best friend from making a terrible mistake with her horrible boyfriend (damn, that's not familiar, right?), he's running through security and they're taking too long so he runs off without his shoes.  The camera pans to a disabled girl in a wheelchair and she slurs something together along the lines of "Mommy, he forgot his shoes" and some people in the audience started laughing.  I seriously looked at my wife and said "whoa, not fucking funny."

Terrible fucking movie.  Even for a cliche romantic comedy.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3528 on: February 15, 2010, 11:50:36 AM »
:lol

I want to remember enough so that I avoid anything like it ever again.  It the worst stereotype of a shitty romcom.  :'(

Edit: I can at least say I snuck into it and didn't pay for it.  We gave our money to a (relatively) better film :smug
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 11:52:14 AM by Rob Thomas »

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #3529 on: February 15, 2010, 11:56:21 AM »
Was anyone really that surprised? From the marketing, it looked like He's Just Not That Into You: Part 2. All these films suck hairy man balls.
PSP

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3530 on: February 15, 2010, 12:55:51 PM »
I thought it might be like that movie where the Prime Minister of the UK ends up with his maid or whatever, which was kind of cute.  I expected it to be not good, but not the worst movie I've seen in theaters in 8 years!
Yeah, Wrath mentioned it up top too.  Love Actually.

That's what I was hoping for.  And I liked He's Just Not That Into You.  As many flaws as that movie might have, this was 1000000000 times worse.

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #3531 on: February 15, 2010, 01:19:55 PM »
Crazy Heart

The Dude still fuckin' abides.
CBG

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #3532 on: February 15, 2010, 02:49:47 PM »
How would you think Valentine's Day would be anything but fucking terrible? HOW? IT HAS GEORGE LOPEZ
AMC

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3533 on: February 15, 2010, 02:56:11 PM »
I didn't really pay attention to the advertisements but yeah, I pretty much made my opinion when I saw that George Lopez was going to be playing the spic sidekick with wisdom.  Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #3534 on: February 15, 2010, 02:57:33 PM »
The ol' magic spic?
AMC

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3535 on: February 15, 2010, 02:58:17 PM »
Pretty much.  And the sexiest guy in the whole movie was gay.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3536 on: February 15, 2010, 03:10:28 PM »
It's true!

We went in expecting a shitty romcom.  What we didn't expect was the worst fucking romantic comedy ever.  You're sitting up there in your ivory tower passing judgement on us until one day when you watch the movie and you think you know what bad is.  Well, you don't know nothin' yet.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #3537 on: February 15, 2010, 03:18:41 PM »
watched Pierre Lu Fou yesterday.  I realized that I had hit "movie nerd" status when I was able to provide a running commentary on the references for the gf to a film I hadn't yet seen.

i think the party scene is amazing, but goddamn there is a LOT of insano Goddard self indulgence though however, I love how abstract a lot of the film is.

(Image removed from quote.)

a note to everyone, buy the criterion rip of this movie now. it is now oop and will be worth tons in the coming months.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #3538 on: February 15, 2010, 03:41:22 PM »
Sooo LA Confidential.  Good movie I think! I haven't actually seen it myself.

What!?  You totally need to see it.

It's the only movie the last 15 years or so I can think of that goes for a retro noir setting and doesn't feel like a muddled attempt at a genre tribute (like Mulholland Falls and Devil In A Blue Dress), but like its own movie.  It's just very well-crafted and I can't talk about it without completely overselling it and raising unrealistic expectations.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #3539 on: February 15, 2010, 05:15:10 PM »
Over the past decade of Mandark Internet ramblings, most of his posts consist of debating the merits of global warming against ToxicAdam and overselling L.A. Confidential and raising unrealistic expectations.
PSP