Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4170723 times)

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #37320 on: July 03, 2020, 10:20:50 PM »
which is the one which opens with him as a doll in a scrapyard or something like that

Tektonic

• OG Cracker
« Reply #37321 on: July 03, 2020, 10:30:50 PM »
which is the one which opens with him as a doll in a scrapyard or something like that

that's Tim Thomerson in Albert Pyun's Dollman... https://tubitv.com/movies/464276/dollman

Sman

« Reply #37322 on: July 04, 2020, 05:35:07 PM »
I've just watched the director's cut of Doctor Sleep.

It was ok. Long (3 hours!). Kinda super-hero-ish in a way. More like nice-to-have-a-follow-up-but-not-quite-as-good-as-the-original kind of movie. Not particularly scary though.

It's well-shot, the recreation of some of the original sets (or were they real locations?) is nice, some of the old characters played by new actors more hit or miss though.

I thought the third act was a bit disappointing. I like the idea of returning to that hotel, with some extra character development, but I didn't think the payoff was really there. Especially with the main villain.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #37323 on: July 04, 2020, 06:07:02 PM »

that's Tim Thomerson in Albert Pyun's Dollman... https://tubitv.com/movies/464276/dollman

yeah there are holes in my brain

Tektonic

• OG Cracker
« Reply #37324 on: July 04, 2020, 11:12:53 PM »

yeah there are holes in my brain

especially when you watch these types of movies ;)

Bebpo

« Reply #37325 on: July 06, 2020, 12:05:47 AM »
Hamilton was great. Lived up to expectations. Will check out the soundtrack for In The Heights soon.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #37326 on: July 06, 2020, 01:32:28 AM »
Before We Vanish was just the right combination of off kilter humor, japanese absurdity, and existential noodling :delicious
每天生气

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37327 on: July 06, 2020, 09:11:48 AM »
Before We Vanish was just the right combination of off kilter humor, japanese absurdity, and existential noodling :delicious

Yep, it's a Kiyoshi Kurosawa movie. :preach
dog

Leadbelly

« Reply #37328 on: July 06, 2020, 08:00:30 PM »
I recently came across these reunite videos. Some of them are great.

Like this one. There is one for the Goonies as well.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37330 on: July 07, 2020, 09:20:01 AM »
Jared Leto tho :fbm
dog

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #37331 on: July 07, 2020, 11:36:10 AM »
Oh well. At least it will look cool in IMAX again I suppose.

Tasty

Tasty

« Reply #37333 on: July 07, 2020, 01:17:21 PM »
Ban Nintex if this is an old rumor that got re-dredged

Tasty

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37335 on: July 07, 2020, 02:04:39 PM »
https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1280409068893425665

:thinking

I feel like I read this rumor 1.5-2 years ago

Some people were saying that the Jared Leto rumors have been around for a while, but the other stuff came out recently.
dog

Akala

• Easy Victor

Tasty

« Reply #37337 on: July 07, 2020, 02:17:50 PM »
https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1280409068893425665

:thinking

I feel like I read this rumor 1.5-2 years ago

Some people were saying that the Jared Leto rumors have been around for a while, but the other stuff came out recently.

But there's nothing else to the story then, other than maybe there's a script that exists, and is done, and people like it? Seems pretty vapor-y to me... 👀

Tasty

« Reply #37338 on: July 07, 2020, 02:19:25 PM »
https://twitter.com/pleasedtomeetya/status/1280566202503495681

Still waiting on dat Disney confirmirmation 👀

Weird they'd just let some Twitter rando break it on a Tuesday morning 👀 👀 👀 👀

spoiler (click to show/hide)
BAN NINTEX
[close]

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37339 on: July 07, 2020, 02:34:36 PM »

Hopefully they can match the awesome atmosphere and soundtrack with a much better movie this time.
It is probably the best music video ever made though  :doge
🤴

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37340 on: July 08, 2020, 02:51:32 AM »
Highlander reboot looks dope:

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #37341 on: July 08, 2020, 06:52:27 PM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #37342 on: July 08, 2020, 06:58:05 PM »
Big deal, these guys made a movie during quarantine too.

©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #37343 on: July 08, 2020, 06:58:05 PM »
I'm putting together two short films right now and goddamn is it a nightmare, they definitely did it right there. Hats off to them on keeping their heads down and not letting shit, even shit like a global pandemic, distract from their art :salute

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37344 on: July 08, 2020, 08:22:34 PM »
JOKER arrived on Netflix Japan.

It's well-shot, could've been edited a bit more tightly. Pacing felt self-indulgent, prideful of its own cleverness. I don't see it as being pro-incel so much as anti-society. It owes a substantial debt to Taxi Driver, King of Comedy, and any number of unreliable narrator movies. I'm unsure how much of the film is meant to be real, and how much is solely in Arthur Fleck's delusional head.

Phoenix elevates the material, and there are some good bits. Not just good emotional presentation, but he nails the laugh. All the Looney-Tunes chase sequences emphasize the disconnect with consensus reality.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #37345 on: July 09, 2020, 04:17:57 PM »
Wanted to share this as I'm a huge Sakamoto fan and Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence is one of my favorite movies

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/7015-ryuichi-sakamoto-finds-a-melody-for-the-unnameable

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #37346 on: July 10, 2020, 11:53:44 AM »
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/criterion/_/N-1p0i

Barnes & Noble is doing their 50% off Criterion sale this month. I bought War of the Worlds for $20 ($28 on Amazon) and Bruce Lee: His Greatest Hits for $62 ($99 on Amazon).
©@©™

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37347 on: July 10, 2020, 07:16:57 PM »

Got me curious about the movie, will give it a shot.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #37348 on: July 10, 2020, 10:32:00 PM »
Overview of things I watched recently

The Boondock Saints

Had friends who had always recommended this movie to me. Now I know never to trust those people again. Just fucking awful. This wouldn't have been edgy to me in 1999 and in 2020 its downright laughable. Painful waste of two hours. At least I never have to watch the sequel since the original stunk so bad. Felt like Tarantino without wit, style, or charm. Hated it.

ET

Even though I'm old as fuck now, I had never seen ET. Even as a kid I was just never overly into feel good movies like this. All that being said, its not bad for what it is. It's mainly a piece of 80's nostalgia for me but it has an excellent soundtrack. A solid framework of a movie for what it is. I think this is a movie that probably works on you better if you saw it when you were young. Kind of like The Wizard of Oz which I saw as a young kid and always adored. But if you saw Oz as an adult, it probably doesn't hold the same sway. ET feels exactly like that to me.   

John Wick 3

Loved it. Three movies and I've liked all of them. Personally liked this one more than the 2nd one. Probably not as much as the first. But still really enjoyed it and of course the wonderful tone it sets and its awesome action. Amazing that we already got three great Wick movies but only ever got one super good matrix movie.

Hamilton

Loved it. And I'm not generally much of a musical guy but I really like this one. The modern music and style of music helped. Fun, Lively, really good stuff. I could watch it in 10 years and still super enjoy it.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #37349 on: July 10, 2020, 10:45:41 PM »
ET as a feel good movie eh? I'm pretty sure it made me weep the same way The Fox and Hound did. Though it was more triumphant feeling in the end, yes.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #37350 on: July 10, 2020, 10:54:00 PM »
ET as a feel good movie eh? I'm pretty sure it made me weep the same way The Fox and Hound did. Though it was more triumphant feeling in the end, yes

It probably hits harder if you go in blind but due to cultural osmosis, I knew every beat of the plot without having seen it so that dampens the impact somewhat.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37351 on: July 10, 2020, 10:59:56 PM »
The Boondock Saints

Had friends who had always recommended this movie to me. Now I know never to trust those people again. Just fucking awful. This wouldn't have been edgy to me in 1999 and in 2020 its downright laughable. Painful waste of two hours. At least I never have to watch the sequel since the original stunk so bad. Felt like Tarantino without wit, style, or charm. Hated it.

You should have just watched the documentary instead:

dog

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #37352 on: July 11, 2020, 03:36:23 AM »
I remember enjoying Overnight but it is painful to watch.

Tasty

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37354 on: July 11, 2020, 10:09:35 PM »
Overview of things I watched recently

The Boondock Saints

ET

Even though I'm old as fuck now, I had never seen ET. Even as a kid I was just never overly into feel good movies like this. All that being said, its not bad for what it is. It's mainly a piece of 80's nostalgia for me but it has an excellent soundtrack. A solid framework of a movie for what it is. I think this is a movie that probably works on you better if you saw it when you were young. Kind of like The Wizard of Oz which I saw as a young kid and always adored. But if you saw Oz as an adult, it probably doesn't hold the same sway. ET feels exactly like that to me.   

John Wick 3

Loved it. Three movies and I've liked all of them. Personally liked this one more than the 2nd one. Probably not as much as the first. But still really enjoyed it and of course the wonderful tone it sets and its awesome action. Amazing that we already got three great Wick movies but only ever got one super good matrix movie.

Hamilton

Loved it. And I'm not generally much of a musical guy but I really like this one. The modern music and style of music helped. Fun, Lively, really good stuff. I could watch it in 10 years and still super enjoy it.

Boondock Saints is a shitty, style over substance movie.

I might give Wick 3 another watch. I remember feeling like the fight scenes were too long. :lol

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #37355 on: July 12, 2020, 07:38:03 AM »

Watched this today while grinding out quest mode in virtua fighter 5, i really enjoyed it.  Great popcorn flick, action was fun, story was good.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37356 on: July 12, 2020, 07:42:04 PM »

Watched this today while grinding out quest mode in virtua fighter 5, i really enjoyed it.  Great popcorn flick, action was fun, story was good.

Me, too! It was the first legitimately good Netflix-made action film. The others I've seen have all been pretty poor, but I actually hope they do a sequel to this.

Lonewulfeus

« Reply #37357 on: July 12, 2020, 10:14:57 PM »

Me, too! It was the first legitimately good Netflix-made action film. The others I've seen have all been pretty poor, but I actually hope they do a sequel to this.

Did you watch extraction with Chris hemsworth?  I thought the action in that was pretty good too, but this was better for sure.

They left it pretty open to a sequel I think so let’s hope!
[close]

Rahxephon91

« Reply #37358 on: July 13, 2020, 04:33:04 PM »
Watched The Old Guard, thought it was incredibly bad.

Really unexciting and slow ass action scenes outside of the first one.

The new immortal was an awful stereotypical character and the actress was amazingly awful. Yeah her material was bad, but everyone out acted her easily. It was painful to watch Chiwetel Ejiofor  out act this chick.  And honestly her character really highlights how poor the script was. They took the low hanging fruit of having a pov character, but did'nt really want to focus on her. A braver script would have axxed this character and just focused on Charlize. There were some nice human moments such as the French guy explaining why he dosen't have a family and the gay imortals explaining thier love to the shitty uncomfortable soldiers( which ended in a dumb joke). But outside of that it was a real poorly written movie.

Also the directing and music choice felt very ammeter. Bad movie.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37359 on: July 14, 2020, 02:44:42 AM »
Did you watch extraction with Chris hemsworth?  I thought the action in that was pretty good too, but this was better for sure.

They left it pretty open to a sequel I think so let’s hope!
[close]

Nope, not yet! I'll give it a shot with low-expectations in place!

Lonewulfeus

« Reply #37360 on: July 14, 2020, 04:02:43 AM »
I’m easily amused, but I thought extraction was a perfectly serviceable popcorn flick.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #37361 on: July 14, 2020, 04:25:43 AM »
Watched The Old Guard, thought it was incredibly bad.

Really unexciting and slow ass action scenes outside of the first one.

The new immortal was an awful stereotypical character and the actress was amazingly awful. Yeah her material was bad, but everyone out acted her easily. It was painful to watch Chiwetel Ejiofor  out act this chick.  And honestly her character really highlights how poor the script was. They took the low hanging fruit of having a pov character, but did'nt really want to focus on her. A braver script would have axxed this character and just focused on Charlize. There were some nice human moments such as the French guy explaining why he dosen't have a family and the gay imortals explaining thier love to the shitty uncomfortable soldiers( which ended in a dumb joke). But outside of that it was a real poorly written movie.

Also the directing and music choice felt very ammeter. Bad movie.

Chiwetel Ejiofor is a great actor.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #37362 on: July 14, 2020, 05:26:55 AM »
Oh he’s fantastic. Wish he was in more stuff.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #37363 on: July 14, 2020, 07:33:02 AM »
I’m easily amused, but I thought extraction was a perfectly serviceable popcorn flick.

Hemsworth :whew

It's like watching a caricature of masculinity at this point. Extractions aiight. Netflix most popular movie, covid etc. It's a fine action movie. What you really need to watch though is Blackhat. Gripping, hilarious, Hemsworth at his best imo. One of my favs. So close to being bad, but instead skirts the line perfectly and becomes an almost flawless comedy thriller.
◕‿◕

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37364 on: July 14, 2020, 10:12:07 AM »
The Old Guard was such a mixed bag. It was a decent enough action movie but my god was the script ever bad. And the music was just terrible.
The trailer looks...  :kobeyuck

shosta

« Reply #37365 on: July 18, 2020, 12:10:47 AM »
Palm Springs... solid timeloop romcom
每天生气

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37366 on: July 18, 2020, 02:41:25 AM »
Palm Springs... solid timeloop romcom

How did you watch it?

shosta

« Reply #37367 on: July 18, 2020, 11:31:00 AM »
Hulu!
每天生气

Bebpo

« Reply #37368 on: July 18, 2020, 08:08:50 PM »
I mildly, mildly liked Palm Springs. I'd actually never seen an Andy Samberg movie before though I know who he is and The Lonely Island.

I'm all for time loop films, even more for comedy takes on them. I thought the middle of this was a lot of fun, but I felt the end kind of fizzled out and I don't like the science in the ending.

I know this is all fantasy sci-fi anyhow, but the idea that the only way to break/escape a timeloop is to kill yourself before you can enter the next loop, ok that's fine but you'd be DEAD. Breaking the loop by dying and then you start over in a not-loop beginning just doesn't make any possible sense to me at all and it kinda ruined the ending for me.
[close]

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #37369 on: July 19, 2020, 03:20:36 AM »
Hot Rod is the only good Samberg film

shosta

« Reply #37370 on: July 19, 2020, 08:21:06 PM »
Saw all of Lawrence of Arabia today. It lives up to its reputation.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 08:26:06 PM by shosta »
每天生气

Tasty

« Reply #37371 on: July 19, 2020, 08:32:56 PM »
Damn that's on my shortlist too. Glad to hear it's good.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37372 on: July 19, 2020, 08:34:41 PM »
How have you not seen Lawrence of Arabia?

shosta

« Reply #37373 on: July 19, 2020, 08:35:50 PM »
What kind of dumb fucking pretentious remark is that?
每天生气

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #37374 on: July 19, 2020, 08:36:45 PM »

Can't wait to see this once it hits some normal streaming service.

Tasty

« Reply #37375 on: July 19, 2020, 09:45:02 PM »
We should be happy that Shasta is old enough for his favorite movie to no longer be Rugrats in Paris

Still a classic tho.

Liek if u cry everytiem :'(

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #37376 on: July 19, 2020, 09:51:38 PM »
Too old to have watched that movie. Just the right age to have watched the first one.

This bit:

Stop it
dibbit
You stop it
dibbit
Dibbit

:lol
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 09:59:06 PM by EchoRin »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #37378 on: July 20, 2020, 03:16:27 PM »
 Many months ago, I thought it would be one of the first movies I'd be watching in theaters. :fbm

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #37379 on: July 20, 2020, 03:40:50 PM »
VOD plz :mouf
©@©™