Author Topic: One Piece Thread: The best comic you haven't read  (Read 430792 times)

Himu

Re: One Piece Thread: The best comic you haven't read
« Reply #3360 on: September 02, 2023, 06:22:42 PM »
"it's too long."

If you had gotten into it when it was like at chapter 200 back when it was like 2005 you would have caught up in the 2000's and stayed current by continuously reading it! Delaying reading One Piece makes it even longer the more you don't catch up! :doge

I know people that refused to get into OP around Summit war and the hype was popping off because it was too long. Bro, if you thought it was long in 2010 or 2011 :dead
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 08:58:09 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #3361 on: September 02, 2023, 06:26:13 PM »
It's not even the length thing from the sample of people I know. It's just the art style and the goofy tone turns people off.
I feel like Americans need fantasy stuff to be grimdark like Witcher.

But then again Harry Potter was huge so idk

Himu

« Reply #3362 on: September 02, 2023, 06:36:12 PM »
What Americans don't understand is that the goofy art style creates amazing juxtaposition between the goofy world of One Piece and the beautiful tragedy of the plot and backstories. One Piece has more mature content than something like Naruto or DBZ and I think its hard hitting moments hit harder because of how silly it is. It just surprises you from the first chapter. "Wow, this is a silly and stupid comic. Oh, he lost his arm?!?! I'm hooked." Then there's the story. It's easily the most political shounen. It is full of anti-government sentiment, the world is steeped in politics.

I saw someone compare One Piece with Scrubs: a comedy that really hits whenever it does do drama. It wouldn't be able to do drama so well if it weren't so silly. The silly comedy blindsides you and then oop, Sanji is on a island starving to death as an 8 year old and his rescuer ate his own leg to survive and he did it all with the expectation and hope that his dream will be carried out by Sanji who shared his dream. It wouldn't hit if the story was drama 100% of the time.

Here's my theory: One Piece is a manga and anime. Most manga and anime consumers are WEEBS. Many of whom look down on western art styles. This was especially true back in 2004 when I got into OP because it was western cartoons vs anime back then. So OP, being more cartoony looking turns off American weeb consumers because they like their stuff to look cool and Japanese like Naruto. This is also why America fucks with DBZ but not DB, which is more lighthearted and comedic and cartoony. DBZ is more "realistic" in art style.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 06:40:54 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #3363 on: September 02, 2023, 07:30:22 PM »
These days I'm just telling people it's the Ted Lasso of Shounen anime.

Himu

« Reply #3364 on: September 02, 2023, 07:54:20 PM »
Yeah, to make matters weirder. You've got a dedicated American comic
/cartoon base and they traditionally didn't like manga and the manga people thought they were above American comics. So here comes this japanese manga/anime with a western like art style and it neither audience could get into it because it killed their preexisting narratives. Weebs hated western stuff and American comics people hated anime. Unfortunately OP was caught in the middle.

I think people are less willing to let that bother them these days especially with stuff like MHA.

It's also funny because some of the most passionate OP fans I've seen are traditional American comic book fans. This for instance was on Comics Alliance.

https://comicsalliance.com/one-piece-arlong-park-greatest-comic-book-fight-scene-of-all-time/

IYKYK

daemon

« Reply #3365 on: September 02, 2023, 08:13:56 PM »
why do you guys want to turn OP into the new DBZ?

Not everyone can have the will of D.

Himu

« Reply #3366 on: September 02, 2023, 08:36:23 PM »
Oda is a master storyteller and deserves to have his talent recognized in America. Literally deserves given the sweat, blood, and sacrifices he has done to bring us this masterpiece.
IYKYK

daemon

« Reply #3367 on: September 02, 2023, 08:55:15 PM »
I consider Oda the best fiction author of this century. It's gonna be hard to top someone who does a freaking 30+ years of single work that will persevere in history as the GOAT for a long, long time.

But still, some will not see the beauty of it no matter what.

Himu

« Reply #3368 on: September 02, 2023, 09:16:22 PM »
This is why I called Oda a modern day Tolkien. It seems hyperbole but when you put it all together - 30 years of work, GOATed, unique world, tons of lore and adventure - and you realize it really isn't. One Piece could be its own hobby given the amount of details similar to how LOTR is a hobby in itself that you have to peruse and look into (like reading the appendix for extra info).
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3369 on: September 02, 2023, 11:02:53 PM »
might be better one piece never caught on with certain audiences. look what happened with naruto and the audience it attracted. the storyline catered to them and the show became the sasuke and uchiha emo shitfest. the goofy emo clan was the worst part of the show, but the audience ate that garbage up.

I watched the first ep of the live action. I don't like it, I don't hate it. I think the biggest problem is translating luffy into live action, this isn't close to being possible without changing the character completely. out of everyone, luffy seems most out of place. I get the feeling the actor playing luffy only watched the anime dub and based everything off that. luffy needs to be calling people idiots and making fun of them. he's pretty much a good natured psychopath.

that trailer with the japanese dub over didn't seem right, but I'll probably watch that too.

someday I'll read the mangaka, just so I can say the anime is better!

Bebpo

« Reply #3370 on: September 03, 2023, 01:22:22 AM »
Nice long bit of crazy good animation in the latest anime ep. Still has a bit of an issue where it's hard to follow the action, but it's not bad like that first gear 5 ep.

Bebpo

« Reply #3371 on: September 03, 2023, 11:37:47 PM »
Been neat seeing the RT scores keep going up. Audience score crept from 94->95->96% with over 10,000+ reviews (which is about as many as an IP like Obi-Wan after all this time).

I find that interesting because that's the indication that most fans are happy with the adaptation.

Still not fully convinced the OP fanbase is large enough to bring the views needed to get this renewed for S2. Like I mentioned, not a single one of my irl friends has checked this out despite me recommending it. It's too weird and anime-ish so they're not interested in even giving it an ep.

Even the #s Netflix is releasing on Tuesday are just the top10s. Pretty sure it'll have no problem being #1 for this first week since it was #1 in 84 countries the first few days. But can't really tell from that whether the numbers are big big, are just pretty good.

Just like when Sandman came out and was nervous for a few months until it barely got renewed for S2, gonna be a bit nervous about this renewal until there's confirmation or some articles about it being a huge breakout hit for the channel like Wednesday/Witcher were.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #3372 on: September 03, 2023, 11:54:54 PM »
Huh..my mind had me convinced this was the girl in the show

From Stranger Things..

But its a totally different girl haha

What

Himu

« Reply #3373 on: September 04, 2023, 12:51:19 AM »
Been neat seeing the RT scores keep going up. Audience score crept from 94->95->96% with over 10,000+ reviews (which is about as many as an IP like Obi-Wan after all this time).

I find that interesting because that's the indication that most fans are happy with the adaptation.

Still not fully convinced the OP fanbase is large enough to bring the views needed to get this renewed for S2. Like I mentioned, not a single one of my irl friends has checked this out despite me recommending it. It's too weird and anime-ish so they're not interested in even giving it an ep.

Even the #s Netflix is releasing on Tuesday are just the top10s. Pretty sure it'll have no problem being #1 for this first week since it was #1 in 84 countries the first few days. But can't really tell from that whether the numbers are big big, are just pretty good.

Just like when Sandman came out and was nervous for a few months until it barely got renewed for S2, gonna be a bit nervous about this renewal until there's confirmation or some articles about it being a huge breakout hit for the channel like Wednesday/Witcher were.

One Piece has managed to make as much noise as Wednesday and Stranger Things 4. Renewal seems guaranteed but let's not jinx it. To see One Piece make it this far outside of Japan, France, and Brazil is :delicious

« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 12:59:26 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3374 on: September 04, 2023, 01:12:16 AM »
This week has been the best week ever to be a One Piece fan. Apparently the latest anime episode is the highest rated anime ep ever.

We eating real good

IYKYK

daemon

« Reply #3375 on: September 04, 2023, 05:27:15 AM »
One year later I'm still amazed by this amazing scene. Easily the best use of animation for narrative purposes, and the music couldn't be any more appropriate

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3376 on: September 04, 2023, 06:37:48 PM »
finished episode 3 and it's starting to grow on me. ep 3 is the best so far and usopp is great.

Bebpo

« Reply #3377 on: September 04, 2023, 08:27:44 PM »
I like how they kept the unique laughs in OP Netflix. Everytime Arlong goes "Shahaha" it got me.

Bebpo

« Reply #3378 on: September 05, 2023, 04:22:37 PM »
Numbers are just ok. (*edit* actually, they're more than ok, they're good, just not amazing)
If it doesn’t crater, it should at least get a S2. But needs to take off more to be a big hit and guarantee a few more seasons.

Best look for it is that it did double The Sandman S1 at around the same budget and Sandman barely but still did get a S2 renewal.
Middle look is it’s doing about Witcher S1 #s on a similar budget as well and without a big name hunk star like that.
Bad look is it’s about half the numbers as Wednesday/Stranger Things S4, so it’s definitely not hanging with the big hitters yet.

All in all, not bad, not great. I do worry the OP fanbase is very day1 hardcore so the numbers may not hold but we’ll see.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 05:57:11 PM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #3379 on: September 05, 2023, 06:31:17 PM »
Netflix PR sounds very okay with the #s

I think S2 is gonna happen. Alabasta/Chopper time.

Himu

« Reply #3380 on: September 05, 2023, 06:43:08 PM »
SABLES

:rejoice

I am hyped for Loguetown and Reverse mountain the most actually.

Smoker :rejoice
Dragon :rejoice
The execution :rejoice
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #3381 on: September 05, 2023, 06:46:23 PM »
Netflix Co-CEO Greg Peters speaking to investors today on
@OnePieceAnime
 on $NFLX:

"to be able to deliver it and have it be massively popular and a success around the world is amazing to see"

I mean if the CEO telling investors it's massively popular and a success isn't enough to get a show a S2, idk what is.

Yeah, sounds like it's happening.

Bebpo

« Reply #3382 on: September 05, 2023, 06:55:48 PM »
SABLES

I am hyped for Loguetown and Reverse mountain the most actually.

Smoker :rejoice
Dragon :rejoice
The execution :rejoice

I'm really curious to what a Logia user looks like in live-action.
Also Tashigi's cool. Will be neat to see her and Zoro as well.

Robin and Crocodile castings will sure be interesting.

I think 100% sure Robin is going to be from Spain.
They can pretty much cast whoever they want for Crocodile.

I have a feeling to keep the budget under control they'll still shy away from using known actors for anyone so the budget can go to the set/costumes/CG.

Himu

« Reply #3383 on: September 05, 2023, 07:08:03 PM »
As per Oda, Robin is Russian.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #3384 on: September 06, 2023, 05:48:49 PM »
RT now up to 85% with 43 reviews in. Keeps climbing 1-2% per day. Really impressive. A year from now when it has 100+ reviews, who knows what it'll be.

Bebpo

« Reply #3385 on: September 06, 2023, 11:26:36 PM »
Interesting, I was checking out the JP dub and the script is uhhh pretty different and more like the manga.

Like the issue with the end of Arlong Park being Luffy just says he's going to destroy everything Arlong's built. In the JP Dub he says he's going to destroy everything that's tying Nami down and then starts punching the place apart, which is pretty close to the original.

Now I kinda wish there was also a subtitle track for the JP dub instead of the English subs being CC of the English audio.

Bebpo

« Reply #3386 on: September 07, 2023, 06:19:48 PM »
https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/one-piece-season-2-scripts-finished-1235716528/

Straight from the horse’s mouth: show already exceeded expectations and Netflix is on board with a long term strategy for the live action show.

Hold on to your butts we may actually get a live action Water 7/Enies Lobby/Gear 2 in a handful of years.

Who would of thought when I made this thread in 2008 that 15 years later we’d be talking about the live-action version of the series as a success.

Himu

« Reply #3388 on: September 07, 2023, 07:27:49 PM »
via SBS

IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #3389 on: September 07, 2023, 08:27:11 PM »
Is bathing once every 3 days some kind of Japanese thing.

Himu

« Reply #3390 on: September 07, 2023, 09:23:07 PM »
You've lived in Japan, you tell us.

https://medicalchannelasia.com/less-body-odour-in-south-koreans-and-japanese-unlocking-the-secret/

Body odour is a common concern that varies significantly among individuals. Remarkably, South Koreans and Japanese tend to have lesser body odour than people from other regions.

What’s the secret behind this phenomenon? Read on to uncover a fascinating genetic factor that plays a crucial role in this difference.

https://kansaiculture.blogspot.com/2017/07/stinking-gaijin-japan-and-body-odor.html

Stinking Gaijin!; Japan and Body Odor
Summer is here and peak mushi-atsui (humid-heat) season is upon us.
This exacerbates one of the more difficult and socially awkward situations for foreigners; being perceived as “kusai” (stinky, bad-smelling) by Japanese people.

As a traditional monoculture, Japan is very keen to play up the “otherness” of foreigners. Since medieval era sailors visited Japan, there have been many references to the different smell of westerners in history and pop-culture. Notoriously, however, 16th century seamen were not the best ambassadors of fragrance. You see this “unwashed foreigner” trope in many western made movies about old Japan; such as Shogun (a 1975 novel turned 1980 TV series) and The Last Samurai (Tom Cruise film from 2003).
The post-WWII occupation culture popularized the “batta-kusai” image of foreigners, leading Japanese to prejudge westerners as “stinking of butter.” Beef seems to be another dietary staple that Japanese people credit for the foreign stink.

What the fuck.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3391 on: September 08, 2023, 02:55:12 AM »
For those that have watched the Live Action and are interested in getting into One Piece.

First off, this post here was not for you:

"it's too long."

If you had gotten into it when it was like at chapter 200 back when it was like 2005 you would have caught up in the 2000's and stayed current by continuously reading it! Delaying reading One Piece makes it even longer the more you don't catch up! :doge

I know people that refused to get into OP around Summit war and the hype was popping off because it was too long. Bro, if you thought it was long in 2010 or 2011 :dead

Context: This post was for people that said One Piece was too long around 12-13 years ago. A major event happened in One Piece in the late 2000's and early 2010's. This was One Piece at its most popular (until now) and a lot of people then would say it was too long and refused to start it. It's funny because if they didn't start it and felt it was too long then....well...:lol

Anyways, although that post seemed elitist, it really wasn't meant to be in spirit. Let's get to brass tacks:

One Piece is massive. I would be utterly, completely intimidated to even start a 1000+ chapter comic book or 1000+ episode anime. This is the literal equivalent of starting Superman comics from their very beginning and reading every. single. issue. I understand this is a massive undertaking and as your guide I empathize and want to help you get through this the easiest.

It would be fair to say that between the two the manga is far easier to get into and consume than the anime. You can read a manga chapter in a few minutes. An anime episode takes over 24 minutes give or take. Unlike other studios, Toei does not have seasons for the One Piece anime so the OP anime is always behind the manga. It keeps churning. One Piece is so popular that Toei and the tv channel that airs it has an incentive to keep the anime on constantly in its slot. For one, One Piece is so popular that despite the quality degradation over time that people still watch it so Toei has no reason to change the format and One Piece is also so popular that everyone reads the manga anyways. The anime has become, in Japan, essentially marketing for the manga rather than a genuine product for new fans to consume.

The anime used to have 3 chapters in one episode. Even then the pacing could be less than desirable. Then eventually, they transitioned it to 1 chapter an episode and as said, you can read one chapter in a few minutes and an anime episode is a 20 minute commitment so pacing got even worse. Lots of reaction shots and running around. I felt that, even as a massive fan, around 2010 or 2011 the anime became unwatchable and stopped watching it in 2011 or 2012. Then the anime made it less than a full chapter, with 3/4 of a chapter mandate. That's how bad the anime has gotten.

Now, I want this post to be nuanced and say that the anime isn't entirely all bad. I have posted multiple clips from the anime in this thread just in the last page. There's obvious a lot that I love about it. It has great music, sometimes really brings the world of One Piece to life. But after a tightly paced 8 episodes live action adaptation of East Blue I think the anime as your first option is the worst option.

Here's a possible strategy for you:

1. Read the manga. Start with 5 or 10 chapters a day if you like. 5 chapters a day you'll catch up in a year. 10 chapters and you'll catch up in 6 months. Even faster if you read more than that. One other suggestion is listen to One Piece music (seriously it's good and brings the world alive) while reading.

2. Make note of scenes/fights that you really, really like while reading the manga.

3. Look up these scenes on YouTube or watch their episodes.

You essentially get the best of both worlds and get to experience both without having to go through the slog of the 1000 episodes of the anime.

Reasons to read the manga over watching the anime:

1. Better pacing.
2. One Piece is an authors type of story and this is the medium the author and creator put it in.
3. The anime is missing content. Oda puts up things like cover stories. These are stories that tell a story of a previous character or group of characters and what they're up to. This greatly expands the world of One Piece and the anime skips the vast majority of cover stories.
4. The manga has things like SBS which is a reader corner for Oda and his readers where Oda gives important information about the story and world. The anime obviously lacks this.
5. Arguably better art. The art in the manga is incredible.

How to Read the Manga

Viz has an app called Shounen Jump. It is available on phones, tablets (including ipad), and browser. You can just download to your tablet and read that way. Throw some music on, make some tea, make it an experience. Subscriptions to this app are like 2-3 bucks a month and have a huge catalogue of manga and all the chapters available to current. It's a massive steal of a deal. Currently using it to read Naruto, which I never completed.

There are also official colored versions of the manga but these have never been legally released outside of Japan. So you'll have to go the ARRRRR way (which I have a link to privately).

How to Watch the Anime

Crunchyroll and Netflix.

You have lots of options. Perhaps you might not mind the animes pacing and go with that instead. That's fine! But you need to know what you're getting yourself into. One Piece is a massive undertaking. Feel free to join us here and report your progress. You're in good company.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 03:01:16 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3392 on: September 08, 2023, 03:54:52 AM »

Bebpo

« Reply #3393 on: September 09, 2023, 02:51:32 PM »
RT is up another % to 86% now. Wonder if this can get in the 90% with critics by S2.

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Bebpo

« Reply #3395 on: September 10, 2023, 12:53:11 AM »
haha

Bebpo

« Reply #3396 on: September 11, 2023, 06:51:40 PM »
Bumped another % to 87% critics RT.

Tomorrow we get Netflix #s which will show the week 2 hold. It's been hanging in 3rd place in the USA Top10 the last few few days after about a week in #1. Considering USA is the toughest market for One Piece, hanging at 3rd most watched TV show seems like a pretty solid hold.

I think Netflix will announce S2 officially after they see the hold.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3397 on: September 11, 2023, 08:08:58 PM »
I can see why the manga is seen as superior. you're just getting the story without any interruptions, or bullshit to fill in the episode so the storyline stretches out over multiple episodes.

thanks, himu breh

Himu

« Reply #3398 on: September 11, 2023, 08:22:48 PM »
I can see why the manga is seen as superior. you're just getting the story without any interruptions, or bullshit to fill in the episode so the storyline stretches out over multiple episodes.

thanks, himu breh

It's not that the anime is inherently bad, at least at the start, either. It's just an unfortunate situation of corporate greed and profits. The worst thing about One Piece anime is that there's potential for it to be one of the best animes ever.

To be fair, there are anime specials. I have to catch up on them. Netflix has a 3D2Y special apparently.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 08:29:59 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #3399 on: September 12, 2023, 03:25:24 PM »
https://www.netflix.com/tudum/top10/tv

Numbers pretty much held for week 2. This is no JRPG in Japan where week one is frontloaded by the fanbase.

We good. This show is safe. Time for the studios to pay their damn writers/actors so we can get S2 pre-production going.

Also once the strikes end we'll actually get to see the cast/creators talk about S1 since they've had to be media silent. That'll be nice to see them talk about their reactions to the shows success.

Himu

« Reply #3400 on: September 13, 2023, 12:15:50 AM »
Still can't believe this shit.

145 million views with 19 million viewers
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
What

Bebpo

« Reply #3402 on: September 13, 2023, 06:39:34 PM »
Actually they say 12 seasons in the article, but that they've vaguely planned out a 6 season plan with Netflix if they get renewals.
It's pretty clear they're aiming for the timeskip as the initial endgoal. Which makes the most sense. Can always sequel series for the next part.

S2 - Alabasta focus
S3 - Skypiea focus
S4 - Water 7 focus
S5 - Thriller Bark/Saobody focus
S6 - Impel Down/Marineford

It's a very doable structure. Will just need to figure out how to make all the crazy stuff actually work and try to get renewed each season. Just making it to S2 and getting Alabasta live-action is a major win. Even if the show gets canned after that, it'd be a cool novelty.

If they make it to S4 and we get Water 7/Enies Lobby that'd be amazing.

If the show manages to keep being renewed after S4, we should be getting live-action Marineford which would be nuts. Also would be funny because that entire arc would only take like 1-2eps in real time since Netflix One Piece isn't going to have long manga fights.

I think while S3 Skypiea wouldn't blow people's minds necessarily, it's the one arc that could be the most improved in the adaptation, so it'd be pretty exciting to see.

Himu

« Reply #3403 on: September 14, 2023, 02:43:23 AM »
New chapter and the art is back on the ball. Hell yes.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3404 on: September 14, 2023, 04:10:08 PM »
Season 2 renewed!!
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #3405 on: September 14, 2023, 04:20:05 PM »

Time to make Chopper work somehow.

Himu

« Reply #3406 on: September 14, 2023, 04:34:07 PM »
I think it'll be easy to make him work considering they made Buggy work.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #3407 on: September 14, 2023, 04:39:08 PM »
What about Bon Clay? I have no idea how you do all the Okama stuff in One Piece in live-action in a respectful way and Bon Clay is way too important of a character to cut.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3408 on: September 14, 2023, 05:00:08 PM »
netflix loves lgbtq representation. they'll just change things to make the characters acceptable. most of the humor is not in the show anyway. they'll probably give the drag queen/trans people some sappy back story. like how hbo did with the gay dudes in the last of us.

it'll miss the point of the original characters completely, but the alphabet people will eat it up.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3409 on: September 14, 2023, 05:07:10 PM »
looks like hbo already beat netflix to the punch with lgbtq pirates  :doge

never heard of this show before, but it's like all the comedy that was taken out of the one piece live-action got westernized and put into this.

Bebpo

« Reply #3410 on: September 14, 2023, 05:18:33 PM »
One Piece Netflix has plenty of humor, it's just not quippy. They usually don't stop and react to each joke. Funny things just happen and they play it straight. I think that's great.

Like ep3 opens with Zoro going "The toilet is leaking" and Nami is like "err, we don't have a toilet" and Zoro is like "...oh". Stuff like that is funny as hell.

Himu

« Reply #3411 on: September 14, 2023, 05:53:57 PM »
What about Bon Clay? I have no idea how you do all the Okama stuff in One Piece in live-action in a respectful way and Bon Clay is way too important of a character to cut.

These days for whatever reason leftists find one piece to be a valid form of positive representation of LGBTQ despite it being considered stereotypical and offensive ten years ago. Who knows.

Odd how the same franchise that was considered being insulting to trans people on Something Awful forums in 2011 because of men wearing dresses is now seen as positive LGBTQ representation in 2023.

My question is how are they going to handle Koby as he goes through his transformation with this actor? Apparently Koby's actor is trans. Recast?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 06:09:02 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #3412 on: September 16, 2023, 07:35:57 PM »
I've been going through One Piece Warriors/Musou 4 since it was on sale for $13 and Bork recommended it.

I guess since I've never re-read the manga I've kind of forgotten a lot of the middle of it outside the main spots. Going through this recap of the entire series from Alabasta to Wano start is interesting.

Basically what I got out of it is that if they can pull off Chopper in S2, then everything from S2-S5 is pretty doable in live-action. Skypiea/Water7/Thriller Bark/Sabody are all doable.

But I kind of feel like S6 is an impossible task. One for Marineford which going back through Marineford, holy fuck is that a long arc for a single battle, but there are so many major characters that won't be cut because they are part of the story elsewhere, and the powers are all crazy, I just don't see how the hell you make that into live-action without it being like 90% CG movie.

Then the other issue is I forgot that like the entire fucking crew is missing for a LONG TIME after Sabody. If S5 ends with everyone getting pawed, basically there'd be an entire season missing the whole main crew cast outside Luffy. Which would be incredibly hard to pull off. But I don't see how you also show the other cast members because it's not like they've started their training adventures until after Marineford when they see the 2 year thing. Maybe they'd do mini-stories with each crew just discovering the island they've been sent to.

But yeah, if the show actually survives, I feel like they can breeze through S3-S5, but S6 is going to be HARD.

Also going back through this recap, I kind of feel like all the One Piece stuff I love about the series takes place in East Blue -> Enies Lobby. Everything from Sabody to present is entertaining, but it doesn't have the same impact to me as the big moments like Arlong Park and Enies Lobby.

I think the story world view gets a lot bigger once the worst generation is introduced and it becomes more story/world focused and less tightly focused on the main crew and their bonds.

So if the live action show gets cancelled after S4, I think I'll be ok with that. If they can just get through S4 that'd be enough for me.

Bebpo

« Reply #3413 on: September 19, 2023, 03:54:47 PM »

One Piece held #1 for week 3 globally. About a 45% drop which apparently tracks normal for most big shows to drop around 50% from week 2 -> 3. Good news and someone calculated at the rate of standard weekly drops, S1 should end up around the 28th or 29th most watched Netflix show of all time, which is solid.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #3414 on: September 19, 2023, 04:41:50 PM »
What

Himu

« Reply #3415 on: September 19, 2023, 06:51:34 PM »

One Piece held #1 for week 3 globally. About a 45% drop which apparently tracks normal for most big shows to drop around 50% from week 2 -> 3. Good news and someone calculated at the rate of standard weekly drops, S1 should end up around the 28th or 29th most watched Netflix show of all time, which is solid.

I still can't believe this shit.
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #3416 on: September 20, 2023, 08:22:37 AM »

:lol
What

Himu

« Reply #3417 on: September 20, 2023, 08:38:39 AM »
She's been pushing for Dr Kureha for years.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #3418 on: September 20, 2023, 09:48:48 PM »
Caught up on the last two eps of the anime. The pacing was so horrible. I can't believe that punch took two full eps to connect.

Some really good animation in the final ep. It's a total shame the anime switched at some point to cover 1 chapter per ep. At 2 chapters per ep with animation and art like this, the anime would be good. They should just go back to filler arcs.

Himu

« Reply #3419 on: September 20, 2023, 10:09:29 PM »
With good pacing the anime would be a top 5 anime.

At the very least the anime hit the emotional high of the fight. Last ep was fantastic and made me tear up like how I did with the manga.

Curious to see how the anime wraps the arc up. Wano was my favorite all time arc until that rushed ass ending.
IYKYK