Author Topic: One Piece Thread: The best comic you haven't read  (Read 425287 times)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: One Piece Thread: The best comic you haven't read
« Reply #3240 on: March 24, 2022, 11:41:02 PM »
YESSSSSSS!!!

daemon

« Reply #3241 on: March 25, 2022, 05:37:20 AM »
Absolutely fantastic

For those who want to read it

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/1496/one-piece-chapter-1044

Beezy

« Reply #3242 on: March 25, 2022, 06:58:52 AM »
 :lol :lol :lol

One Piece really is the best

daemon

« Reply #3243 on: March 31, 2022, 08:05:32 PM »
New chapter out on the same website.

Oda is a fucking master of his craft.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3244 on: March 31, 2022, 08:19:31 PM »
My god that was excellent.  Laughed out loud multiple times. 

daemon

« Reply #3245 on: April 07, 2022, 08:47:02 AM »
If Enel could see this chapter...

daemon

« Reply #3246 on: April 07, 2022, 07:33:47 PM »
Annddd it's out on TCBscans.

Himu

« Reply #3247 on: April 27, 2022, 04:53:13 PM »
Wano is the best arc, gear 5 is a genius power up, and the emotional high of this too much. You just know Luffy is going to get a spirit bomb boost by seeing the townspeople's lanterns. "I hope I get to live to see next year!" :tocry So many excellent stories here too like Hiyori and Sengoku, the samurai willing to bet it all as our rubber man fills panels with joy. This is peak One Piece and the fact it connects with one of my favorite arcs in Sky Piea is the icing on the cake.

The Joyboy reveal was so legit I started the manga over from scratch to re-read, something I've not done in a decade plus. I'm almost at Arlong Park but the adventure has been full of memories. I can't believe I've been reading this since I was 18. Time sure flies.

Episode 1015 was also legit af. First time watching the anime since Mareinford.

My favorite part of Joyboy is how utterly subversive it is. Luffy is literally getting ass whooped and dying here and yet he can't stop laughing and by extension neither can we. I'm a very big fan. It's extremely fresh and just ballsy. Seeing it animated will be a true treat.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 05:01:35 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #3248 on: May 13, 2022, 01:50:22 AM »
 :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice

Wano makes me want to take on the impossible task of going back and watching all of One Piece. I switched to the manga during Thriller Bark. :lol

daemon

« Reply #3249 on: June 15, 2022, 05:56:29 PM »
So... 4 weeks of break after this issue (rest Oda, you're the GOAT)... we enter... THE FINAL SAGA. Actually mad to read it's the last saga. Mind you this could take legit 5-10 years but still, crazy.

Beezy

« Reply #3250 on: June 19, 2022, 04:58:41 AM »
What the hell has Buggy been up to?!

Bebpo

« Reply #3251 on: July 01, 2022, 02:16:59 PM »
I kept asking if Wano was over. And now that it is, and I finished up what I was reading, going to catch up on post-pandemic One Piece. Been kind of weird after like 20 years of reading OP weekly to be missing it the last few years, but wanted to find a good jumping back point. Excited to read the rest of the arc.

Since it's been 2.5 years, just gonna start at the beginning of Wano and re-read to where I left off. Looks like it's chapter 904.

Also so used to reading fan-translations all these years, but it looks like the best way to read now is the official Viz/Jump stuff. Will see how it compares.

Bebpo

« Reply #3252 on: July 03, 2022, 08:51:00 PM »
So I started reading catchup just now and I gotta say going from the pirate site scans to the official Viz ones...the scan quality is a big step down and I feel like the translation is worse than I remember mangastream's translation being? These days are most people reading One Piece through the official English Viz chapters?

I'm using the $2/month digital vault sub. I read if I buy the digital volumes they're at least at a higher resolution. Debating whether it's worth it. I think while I catch up to where I was I'll just deal with the lower quality.

daemon

« Reply #3253 on: July 31, 2022, 08:28:02 PM »
Oda keeps proving us that he's got this all under control.

Can't freaking wait to see the next arc

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3254 on: August 04, 2022, 11:28:00 PM »
It's really starting to feel like the end  :cry

Like I'm sure it will still be another decade before it finishes, but we are in the end game now. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3255 on: August 23, 2022, 08:02:49 PM »

Hyped to start the new arc this week.

Beezy

« Reply #3256 on: August 23, 2022, 08:51:08 PM »
Oda said this is the final arc, right? I wonder how many years it will go on for.

daemon

« Reply #3257 on: August 23, 2022, 09:19:01 PM »
Oda said this is the final arc, right? I wonder how many years it will go on for.

saga, not arc.

Pretty much the race for the One Piece saga

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3258 on: August 26, 2022, 03:02:32 PM »
Buggy :dead

Himu

« Reply #3259 on: September 03, 2022, 02:03:29 AM »
As much as I loved Wano, the ending was the first time in the series I think Oda legitimately slipped. The ending was rushed, half baked, he failed to fulfill his promises to the readers, and it had actual bad writing.  Wano slipped from one of my favorite arcs to a mid-tier arc. Also the art has utterly decreased in quality on top of the writing. Since this is the last arc/saga of One Piece I hope that he doesn't rush it too much because it's pretty clear he is at this point, and I don't blame him, but please don't ruin your legacy Oda. I can only hope Wano's quality was a one off.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yamato going from "let me be a Strawhat!" for TWO YEARS to suddenly,"nah lol I will tour Wano- I talk to Luffy about it" an island she was stuck on her WHOLE LIFE when her entire dream was to leave for sea was absolute horse shit writing. On top of that she just TELLS you and doesn't SHOW you. WHAT WAS THE POINT OF YAMATO?? She can't be the stereotypical princess character because that is Momo in this case.

What was the point of all that Zoro backstory teasing and build up for Wano only to not even brush on it? Zoro literally got the sword of Ryuma and was going to have a whole ass storyline for it and see Ryuma's grave and we didn't even see it despite over 10 years of promises?
[close]

Legitimately bad.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 02:14:30 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #3260 on: January 02, 2023, 10:23:01 PM »
Man, I passed chapter 1,000 last night in my Wano catchup and the banquet stuff is great and really popping off. This arc is way more exciting than Dressrosa was. In fact, I'd say this is the best arc post-timeskip so far.

But also might be the difference between reading weekly and reading all at once. In these action climax chapters, so little happens each chapter because it's a lot of dramatic hits and poses and yelling, so I could see how the pace may have been rough at the time. There's like 20 different characters having fights at the same time at this part  :lol

Was getting through like a few chapters a night for the last month, but now blowing through it pretty quick cause it's exciting. Probably will finish reading Wano this week and maybe get caught up.

Also I saw some clips of the Wano anime and damn, I remember One Piece being all zero budget Toei stills and now it looks all nice like real non-shounen anime? Might check out the anime version of a few of these chapters when I'm caught up.

My only complaint, which still might get remedied by the end is that I feel like given the backstory that it should be the 9 Samurai that defeat Kaido, not Luffy and friends. I get why that would be a problem since it's shounen and there are power levels and Luffy needs to defeat an emperor by this point to show he's at that endgame power level, but just in terms of narrative satisfaction I feel like the samurai coming back and getting their revenge is more how it should be. The one scene where they appear behind Kaido at the banquet and then all stab into him knocking him off the balcony was FUCK AWESOME.

Lots of good moments in this. It does feel like Kaido is ridiculously OP though in terms of how little damage anything does. Like he'll take a hit and it'll be a dramatic moment, but it doesn't seem to have any lasting effect by the next few pages when he's back on his bullshit. I guess that's his invincible power, but it does make it a bit annoying that there's all these chapters of people doing damage on him but it feels kind of a waste if they aren't doing anything lasting.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 10:28:33 PM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #3261 on: January 06, 2023, 01:28:07 AM »
Wano goes on and on and on, damn.

Think I'm almost done with it. Still great, but yeah this finale is long as fuck. Once Luffy got knocked off at what seemed like the final bit, it was like oh crap this arc is going to go long.

Liked Sanji and Zoro's fights, but thought they ended a bit underwhelming.

Bebpo

« Reply #3262 on: January 07, 2023, 03:27:55 AM »
Finished Wano! Was good! Stuff definitely got rushed and felt underdeveloped like Zoro's bit. But overall was a pretty huge epic action saga. Very satisfying arc.

I do agree with Himu it's a bummer Yamato didn't join. She was fun and the crew could definitely have more women in it. I guess that means this is the final crew since I don't see anyone joining before the ending given that this is the final saga now. Which is fine. Some of the crew still feel pretty underused like Franky and even Brooke these days. More crew members just means more undeveloped team members.

I did not see 5th gear being...that. But that's cool and it fits the tone of Luffy and the manga and is a ton of fun with all the goofy retro comic strip expressions. Really dug that part.

One nitpick I have with the Kaido fight is how many pages total across all the chapters are Kaido and Luffy just wailing on each other? Like the arc could've been a bit shorter without all the pages of them just punching each other back and forth every chapter. It's kind of ridiculous.

Overall I felt like a lot of the fights didn't really have a clever plot way of winning. Like they didn't win because they figured out some strategy. They just kept on punch and kicking for panels until Oda is like ok fight ends on this page and then their final punch or kick wins. That happened with Zoro/Sanji fights and even Luffy's fight in 5th form just went on and on until Oda decided to end it.

I did like the finisher for Law and Kid. The silence room and then knocking her down after trying to knock her out before and failing made sense and was a good finish. Lots of other smaller good fight bits throughout.

I liked the bits where Usopp was fucking with everyone lol. The part where he's taunting from behind Nami and they think she's saying it and the part where Big Mom's haki is knocking people out and he's acting like its his Haki haha. But still, it'd be nice to see Usopp actually win a fight instead of just being humor.

I think everyone got pretty good upgrades, though I don't think Brooke got anything? Chopper did good, Nami and Robin had good scenes.

All in all was very entertaining. Was surprised Izo actually died since no one actually dies and there were like 50 characters that got knocked out in that battle. It's too bad they skipped the fight with Izo and the cool mask guy. Wanted to see the cool mask guy fight.

Will catch up on the rest of the chapters tomorrow. Seems like there hasn't been that many. 13-14 I think? With Wano being 150 chapters long + all the setup arcs like Zou, I can't see the final saga/arc being under 200-300 chapters. So...figure there's at least 5-6 years left. Gonna be a while.

Probably will check out some of the individual anime eps of the best bits of Wano. Pretty curious to see how they animate Gear 5 one they get there.

Bebpo

« Reply #3263 on: January 07, 2023, 03:34:28 AM »
I'm also assuming the final chapter of the series will be Luffy v Shanks in front of the One Piece. Just don't see how else they would end it. And Blackbeard should be the last "real" enemy since they've been setting him up as Not-Luffy since before Skypiea.

Will be interesting to see what they do with all the World Government stuff in the final saga.

Also I gotta wonder how they're going to make Blackbeard a real threat even with his powers after Kaido. Like they made Kaido and Big Mom so absolutely ridiculously overpowered and invincible in both defense ability to soak endless damage and offensive ability...Blackbeard seems like a joke in comparison. Everyone seems like a joke in comparison. Other than Shanks I don't see how any remaining character in the series can be a tougher fight than Kaido. Will be interesting to see how Oda does it.

Bebpo

« Reply #3264 on: January 07, 2023, 03:44:06 PM »
Caught up!

That was great. I forgot how much plot and story movement happens when you're not spending the bulk of the chapters punching each other. So much story in the last 13 chapters since Wano. I definitely prefer this pace. Crazy stuff too.

I do think the power levels have gotten kind of whacky though. Like I don't care if Lucci's gotten stronger/awakened, dude should be getting one shotted by Gear 5 Luffy at this point.

Also

spoiler (click to show/hide)
RIP Law. For plot reasons, dude is fucked and gonna lose to Blackbeard for sure.

Garp vs Blackbeard is interesting. Still feel like for plot reasons of Blackbeard becoming the final main bad, he's gonna have to take out Garp, but will be interesting to see how it goes.
[close]

Himu

« Reply #3265 on: January 07, 2023, 03:59:05 PM »
Nah, no way it ends with Shanks vs Luffy. Luffy has to destroy Fishman island, and save the world from the WG. One Piece won't end once the crew acquires it.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #3266 on: January 07, 2023, 04:05:41 PM »
Nah, no way it ends with Shanks vs Luffy. Luffy has to destroy Fishman island, and save the world from the WG. One Piece won't end once the crew acquires it.

Maybe there will be some epilogue stuff. But pretty sure the son overcoming the father with Luffy/Shanks will be the final "fight", once he surpasses Shanks it's done.

But maybe all that stuff you mentioned happens before Luffy vs Shanks.

Himu

« Reply #3267 on: January 07, 2023, 09:24:00 PM »
The war has been too hyped up, Imu too hyped up, five elders too hyped up. Luffy literally has a grand fleet. There will be a war that destroys the red line.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #3268 on: January 08, 2023, 12:12:58 AM »
Now that I'm caught up, I'm feeling pretty high on the series. Excited for whenever we get a trailer of the Netflix live-action one. It'll probably be terrible, but still want to see it.

Also want to check out that Red film when it's on streaming. Excited to see Gear 5 animated.
And will try out the OP Odyssey demo on Tuesday. I don't have a lot of faith that it'll be a good rpg, but maybe it'll be a nice surprise.

Since I need to sub to crunchyroll to catch up on Gundam and check out the new Trigun, will just jump around eps for One Piece.

Himu

« Reply #3269 on: January 08, 2023, 12:27:33 AM »
Watch Ep 1015. It's incredible.

What do you think of Gear 5? I think it's genius. You should look up the discussion that happened in OP communities when it first was revealed. It was highly controversial.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #3270 on: January 08, 2023, 01:22:11 PM »
Watch Ep 1015. It's incredible.

What do you think of Gear 5? I think it's genius. You should look up the discussion that happened in OP communities when it first was revealed. It was highly controversial.

Gear 5 is the best thing for Luffy since Gear 2 happened.

Why was it controversial? It makes sense from a plot point (it's a bit of a retcon but feels believable enough about the Zoan fruit) and stylistically it's a perfect fit for Luffy's personality and encompassing the tone of One Piece. I always thought Gear 4 was kind of out of character for Luffy.

Since I took a break for so long from OP, I don't even remember when Awakenings started. They feel like something out of Bleach/Naruto lol. What arc/fight was that introduced in?

Himu

« Reply #3271 on: January 08, 2023, 01:32:59 PM »
I think, and I could be wrong, but the first awakening was versus Doffy at Dressrosa but became more apparent with the fight against Karakuri. Remember how he was able to make things like mochi?

People hated it and accused Luffy of being "special" and the "chosen one" and accused this of ruining One Piece and what made Luffy unique in a genre full of chosen ones. Which is kind of asinine as we've always known he'd become the Pirate King and there have been numerous "chosen one" analogies tied to Luffy such as him being the one destined to destroy Fishman Island or save the slaves from Mariejois. They liked Luffy because he worked hard to get to where he was but couldn't ignore that the only reason Luffy was able to awaken it to begin with was his boundless creativity and hard work, making it two fold. This point is mostly backlash against Naruto because Naruto was a chosen one and had everything handed to him. The fear was that all those years of hard work were negated by this. Fair criticism but I disagreed with it.

People hated it because it was cartoony and not super cool super saiyan shit.

People hated it because it was an "ass pull" and Luffy was too strong and thought he didn't "earn" defeating Kaido, which is preposterous because the mad lad literally died while fighting him.

People hated it because they thought it had no weakness (we now know this to be false as the current arc confirms that it makes him old).

People hated it because of the tie in to Sky Piea felt, according to them, forced, and that Oda just pull this out of his ass with no build up, no nothing and that One Piece had jumped the shark.

G5 was very controversial and I'm sad you were not here to experience when it first dropped. It split the community in two.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 01:37:54 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

daemon

« Reply #3272 on: January 08, 2023, 05:43:09 PM »
First awakening were technically the zoan guards of Impel Down.

Himu

« Reply #3273 on: January 08, 2023, 07:26:16 PM »
Good correction. You're right.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #3274 on: January 08, 2023, 08:08:58 PM »
I watched episode 1015 in its entirety. It was ok, but if that's peak One Piece anime these days, I'm good. The coloring is really nice looking and some good animation but it's so.freaking.slow. I like that Luffy's theme song when he hits Kaido is still the same song from ep1 OP.

I think, and I could be wrong, but the first awakening was versus Doffy at Dressrosa but became more apparent with the fight against Karakuri. Remember how he was able to make things like mochi?

People hated it and accused Luffy of being "special" and the "chosen one" and accused this of ruining One Piece and what made Luffy unique in a genre full of chosen ones. Which is kind of asinine as we've always known he'd become the Pirate King and there have been numerous "chosen one" analogies tied to Luffy such as him being the one destined to destroy Fishman Island or save the slaves from Mariejois. They liked Luffy because he worked hard to get to where he was but couldn't ignore that the only reason Luffy was able to awaken it to begin with was his boundless creativity and hard work, making it two fold. This point is mostly backlash against Naruto because Naruto was a chosen one and had everything handed to him. The fear was that all those years of hard work were negated by this. Fair criticism but I disagreed with it.

I mean Luffy definitely worked hard but then he died. Also we never saw what his last attack would've done because he got grabbed by CP0.
It also does feel like he used the haki stuff he learned in Wano with Gear 5 because he's punching through people.

With the chosen one thing, at least it's not shoved down the audience's throat that omg he's the chosen one. There are some prophecies but people don't really seem to care about them much. Even Yamato wasn't hyped to see Luffy because of the prophecy, but because she wanted to meet Ace's younger brother.

People hated it because it was cartoony and not super cool super saiyan shit.

lol

People hated it because it was an "ass pull" and Luffy was too strong and thought he didn't "earn" defeating Kaido, which is preposterous because the mad lad literally died while fighting him.

People hated it because they thought it had no weakness (we now know this to be false as the current arc confirms that it makes him old).

I do think Luffy is now ridiculously strong, to the point where it makes the whole crew useless. But this was a problem even pre-timeskip. They always had to find a way each arc to get Luffy out of the fight, because if he was there he's just wreck everyone and end it. I felt like the crew started to catch up, but now he's left them back in the dust again. The bounties reflect that. 3 billion to like 500,000?

The weakness is weird in that basically it's the same as Gear 4 and Chopper's thing. Power up for a limited time and then out of commission for a bit. Just kind of odd.

I like that with Gear 5 and getting to Emperor/Yonkou level, he doesn't really need to worry about the sea anymore since he can run on air. Big Mom could also get out too with her flying and Kaido could fly as a dragon. Feels like anyone at that level needs to be able to not have to worry about the sea.

People hated it because of the tie in to Sky Piea felt, according to them, forced, and that Oda just pull this out of his ass with no build up, no nothing and that One Piece had jumped the shark.

I don't even remember the Skypiea connection. Was Nika the sun god brought up during Skypiea?

Bebpo

« Reply #3275 on: January 08, 2023, 08:19:58 PM »
Oh and I liked the part in Wano where the Dinosaurs do nonsense stuff like Tricera-copter and Pterodactyl head missiles and tell everyone that's what the dinos did and everyone is amazed.

Himu

« Reply #3276 on: January 08, 2023, 08:47:37 PM »
Oh, and people just HATE the idea of Luffy getting a special fruit. They thought what made Luffy special was because he got the most silly, pointless fruit possible and just made it work with his creativity but ina actuality got a fruit that is the fruit of the Sun God. A lot of people hated this aspect. I think that's a fair critique but I like it anyways. I like the theory that Shanks was there to give the fruit to Ace but found a kindred spirit in Luffy and the fruit chose Luffy.

I love the dinosaur aspect of Wano. I loved Wano so much! Shame the way it ended. It tainted the arc for me.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3277 on: January 08, 2023, 09:00:24 PM »
Bebpo there's lots of discussion you need to catch up on. Peep this reddit thread. One piece discussion was LIT last year. I'm so sorry you missed it.

Here's background about Nika and includes the Sky Piea stuff.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/comments/tokct1/the_latest_development_in_ch1044_has_been_planned/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button
IYKYK

daemon

« Reply #3278 on: January 08, 2023, 09:06:03 PM »
I don't even remember the Skypiea connection. Was Nika the sun god brought up during Skypiea?

One of Oda favorite panels is this:

And here we have luffy as Nika

And here we go back to Skypiea. The drums of liberation. And see the specific panel of luffy rejoicing with others.

The only asspull I see that is a bit unlike Oda is Who's Who dropping that lore in the same arc it happened and the gomu gomu importance. If Nika was introduced earlier as a legendary element and who's who just dropped the gomu gomu hint.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #3280 on: February 14, 2023, 09:55:44 PM »
Been watching the One Piece anime each week since I got caught up on the manga. Didn't go back and watch 950 eps or anything. Just started watching from that week and just throw it on for 20 mins a week in the background when I've got time.

I've got to say I don't dislike the OP anime these days. Other than the looong pauses and pans to buy time it's pretty decent. Especially if you don't care about getting to what's happening next. Mostly just looking forward to seeing Gear 5 soon-ish. Seems like there's about 1 piece of really good animation sequence each episode that the time/money goes into.

Himu

« Reply #3281 on: February 15, 2023, 01:00:22 AM »
One Piece anime hasn't been good in over ten years. It's utter crap.
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3282 on: March 22, 2023, 07:27:15 PM »
Holy shit!

Bebpo

« Reply #3283 on: March 28, 2023, 12:12:47 PM »
One Piece Red is out in western release today for $9.99 digital purchase.
But it's dub only wtf. How is the anime industry still a fucking mess in 2023.

Himu

« Reply #3284 on: April 05, 2023, 04:05:06 PM »
This arc is based. :gladbron

I haven't read since January 20 something and got to read like 6-8 chapters in bulk.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #3285 on: June 18, 2023, 02:41:41 AM »

I think it looks...ok? I mean considering everyone, including me, figures it will be terrible since good luck adapting this manga into live-action in any way that works; but it looks...ok?

People are hating on it and comparing it to Bebop, but I think most people who watch anime just don't want to actually see anime in live-action because when people say "it looks like cosplay", I don't even know what that means because unless you're grounding your live-action anime, it's going to look like people dressing up like anime characters.

Like people are talking shit on "anime hair colors" like Zoro's green hair and Nami's orange hair. But like uh, out of all the shit to nitpick, you're going to nitpick a teen girl having orange hair as unrealistic? I see people with orange hair like every week at the mall. Hell I see people with green hair like once a month.

Only actual complaint I have from the trailer is it's not selling me on Luffy's actor. Everyone else looks fine to me, but Luffy seems to mellow. I want a coked up 120% energy laughing all time live-action Luffy. But I guess I can see how a main character acting like that the whole time could be grating in a live action show to some people.

Anyhow, looking forward to giving it a watch. Hope enough people check it out, even to hatewatch it, that it at least gets a S2 since they'd do Baroque Works/Alabasta for probably most/all of the season, which might work better than trying to do an entire arc in a single ep every ep in S1.

Beezy

« Reply #3286 on: June 18, 2023, 08:21:41 PM »
It actually looks like a better adaptation that Bebop to me. The only things from that trailer that bothers me are Luffy's actor, how he speaks, and him calling out his attack.

Bebpo

« Reply #3287 on: August 06, 2023, 02:09:31 PM »
Watched the Gear 5 ep today that was hyped up. Film director, more budget than god, shown in theaters

...and it fucking sucked. The direction was TERRIBLE omg. First half was just bad paced exposition and second half was this high speed action nonsense where if you hadn't read the manga you'd barely be able to follow what's going on.

Plus it's not even the fight. They literally blew all the budget and did this for the pre-fight scene. wtf.

Will watch the fight next week, hopefully it's better. But for this part the manga chapter was 100x better than this crap. What a disappointment.

Himu

« Reply #3288 on: August 06, 2023, 02:10:53 PM »
Gear 5 episode sucked balls. Toei fucked it up.
IYKYK

daemon

« Reply #3289 on: August 07, 2023, 05:24:37 AM »
It had some good moments but they overdid the whole Looney Tunes thing with some extreme dragging of some scenes that didn't need it. They should've instead made more original scenes of a toon-like beatdown to fill the run time.

Himu

« Reply #3290 on: August 07, 2023, 09:50:10 AM »
So many problems.

Repeated use of initial awakening laugh for TEN MINUTES STRAIGHT.

A three minute flash back.

Utterly incomprehensible animation.

G5 in the manga? Bolo breath is like one frame.

Someone please, please, please get One Piece off of Toei. PLEASE.

I cannot believe I've been saying,"I can't wait to see this animated" for a year and change and they FUCKED IT UP.
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3291 on: August 07, 2023, 10:47:33 AM »
that was the greatest thing I've ever seen. can't wait for next weeks episode.

luffy in god form seems to be warping reality around him. since his true nature is being silly. you mix that with his rubber powers and you get this extra cartoony world, even kaido was transformed by it.

I'm so happy this isn't just another power up like any other shonen. there is no illusion here either. this is the world as luffy creates it. people are too serious and luffy is not that type of hero.

the next episode will be even better  :rofl

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3292 on: August 07, 2023, 10:56:05 AM »
joyboy is here  :rejoice

I was smiling and laughing through the whole sequence. watching it again now and it's only getting better  :rofl

Himu

« Reply #3293 on: August 07, 2023, 10:58:57 AM »
I'm glad it brought joy. That was something I noted when it was first revealed: how Luffy's power is literally making me laugh out loud. Wasn't sure if it translated to anime watchers but I'm glad it did!
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3294 on: August 07, 2023, 10:41:17 PM »
I tried reading the mangaka and didn't care for it. maybe it was just shitty scans  :doge I couldn't make out what was going on in the action sequences.

someday I'll try buy a physical copy and see if I like it better

Bebpo

« Reply #3295 on: August 07, 2023, 11:34:57 PM »
It's cool, anime and manga both have their own strengths. Goes for almost all manga/anime series.

Himu

« Reply #3296 on: August 13, 2023, 04:02:44 AM »
lmfao this weeks episode was so much better than last weeks

this is perfect :dead
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #3297 on: August 13, 2023, 08:59:51 PM »
Yeah, there was a really cool animation sequence in the 2nd half.

Pacing is still pretty rough. Will make a nice clip thing when the fight's done and someone edits it all together.

Himu

« Reply #3298 on: August 13, 2023, 10:21:03 PM »
I think the pacing was on the ball.

The clap sequence :bow
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #3299 on: August 25, 2023, 12:57:54 PM »
Social media impressions for One Piece Netflix are out. Yeah, social media impressions don't mean shit and are always glowing, but a lot of the same people that didn't like Cowboy Bebop Netflix in the pre-release impressions say that One Piece Netflix is great. Fingers crossed.

To be fair, I think Vincent's casting in Cowboy Bebop and amount of screen time is 75% of what sunk that show. He was absolutely terrible. One Piece casting looks like it won't have a mistake like that, so that's already a big bonus in its favor.

I just hope that One Piece Netflix is good and that it at least gets one more season so they can do a big epic arc like Alabasta/Crocodile over the entire season.

One week to go...