Author Topic: One Piece Thread: The best comic you haven't read  (Read 426480 times)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: Friday thread of why don't you read One Piece? (Seriously)
« Reply #1080 on: May 26, 2010, 06:18:10 PM »
How can it end in asking "will they survive?" when it's a flash back :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #1081 on: May 26, 2010, 06:24:48 PM »
yeah, someone pointed that out and it's a bit lol

I didn't realize people actually read the comments at the start/end of chapters.  I always ignore them because they seem like the editor throws it in and not the author.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1082 on: May 26, 2010, 06:30:02 PM »
How can it end in asking "will they survive?" when it's a flash back :lol

then we see the dharma hatch on amazon lily and one piece jumps the shark :'(
duc

Himu

« Reply #1083 on: May 31, 2010, 10:49:04 PM »
One Piece anime is showing filler episodes that cover the travels of the Strawhats again.
IYKYK

Crushed

• i am terrified by skellybones
« Reply #1084 on: June 02, 2010, 01:12:39 AM »
Spoiler pics are out. We get to see Dragon's ship (omg so awesome looking) with Dragon and Ivankov on it sailing through the flames.

But there appears to be another Revolutionary at Dragon's side...

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:o  BARTHOLOMEW KUMA  :o
[close]
wtc

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #1085 on: June 02, 2010, 01:18:18 AM »
Spoiler pics are out. We get to see Dragon's ship (omg so awesome looking) with Dragon and Ivankov on it sailing through the flames.

But there appears to be another Revolutionary at Dragon's side...

:o  BARTHOLOMEW KUMA  :o
[close]

Finally confirmed then? Nice

MCD

• Fastest selling shit

Bebpo

« Reply #1087 on: June 02, 2010, 06:24:09 PM »
First chapter in a while I didn't care for. 
20 pages and almost nothing happened.  Not Oda's usual style!
Dragon was cocktease and pointless in this flashback  :(

Next chapter should be the last

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1088 on: June 02, 2010, 08:30:06 PM »
snore
duc

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1089 on: June 02, 2010, 08:45:02 PM »
you snore a lot. But given you're age I'm not surprised.

Any ways about the comic: snore.   

Himu

« Reply #1090 on: June 02, 2010, 10:30:10 PM »
I liked it. We see a glimpse of how Dragon probably made the Revolutionary Army. He took all the people from Grey Terminal and turned them into recruits.

Plus, I wanna know what happens to Sabo.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 10:47:07 PM by Himuro »
IYKYK

treythemovie

« Reply #1091 on: June 03, 2010, 02:59:44 AM »
Next chapter should be the last
No way. We still have to go over the prerequisite "Luffy and Ace growing up" scenes plus whatever horrifying thing happens to poor Sabo next chapter. After all the foreshadowing with the World Nobles for the last few chapters, there is no way they won't do something horrifying.

Anyway, these flashback chapters are alot more interesting if you're reading the fan theories. For example, speech bubbles keep blocking out the Goa King's face, leading some people to predict that he's really the "Corrupt King" guy who joined Blackbeard from Impel Down. That would be pretty badass if it happens, and it'll be a good opponent for Sabo if he ever appears again in the future.

SABO FOR STRAWHAT
[close]
Hancock and Jimbei must be crying in their sleep  :'(
[close]

Himu

« Reply #1092 on: June 03, 2010, 03:09:21 AM »
At this point, I don't think Sabo will die like in standard OP flashbacks. I thought after he got taken away from Luffy/Ace Oda would lower the amount of appearances Sabo has made, but he's becoming even more crucial to the story each new chapter and has gotten almost as much chapter time as Ace and Luffy by himself.

He's important to the story, calling it now. He's not going to die considering the amount of time Oda has spent developing him.

I bet you Sabo will become a slave.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 03:11:15 AM by Himuro »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1093 on: June 03, 2010, 03:13:44 AM »
Anyway, these flashback chapters are alot more interesting if you're reading the fan theories. For example, speech bubbles keep blocking out the Goa King's face, leading some people to predict that he's really the "Corrupt King" guy who joined Blackbeard from Impel Down. That would be pretty badass if it happens, and it'll be a good opponent for Sabo if he ever appears again in the future.[/spoiler]

I've never read that theory so far, but that's interesting as fuck.

What other theories are out there aside from Sabo will become a slave/Goa King = Impel Down prisoner?

IYKYK

treythemovie

« Reply #1094 on: June 03, 2010, 03:38:47 AM »
I've never read that theory so far, but that's interesting as fuck.

What other theories are out there aside from Sabo will become a slave/Goa King = Impel Down prisoner?

Dadan = Jewelry Bonney. This theory mostly hinges on Bonney's weird remarks during the Marineford arc and the fact that Bonney and Dadan's 'second in commands' look near identical. Its a plausible theory since Bonney's aging fruit would allow for such insanity and that its one of the few ways a minor mountain bandit from East Blue could reenter the present-day story (like Dadan will inevitably do). The major hinderence to the theory is the fact that Bonney supposedly comes from South Blue, but this could easily be explained away.

Himu

« Reply #1095 on: June 03, 2010, 03:47:13 AM »

Dadan is not Jewelry Bonney wtf

There's no dialogue to back that up.
IYKYK

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1096 on: June 03, 2010, 11:07:37 AM »
those are pretty awful theories

i hope this flashback subarc ends soon, it is a big ol' red herring
duc

Himu

« Reply #1097 on: June 06, 2010, 11:14:26 PM »
http://www.onepieceofficial.com/videos.aspx?v=5383

ONE PIECE - EP 454 - THE FRIENDS' WHEREABOUTS! A CHEEPER OF GIANT BIRDS AND A PINK SHOWDOWN! (SUB)

Sanji :lol  :lol :lol :lol :lol
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1098 on: June 06, 2010, 11:26:47 PM »

:rofl :rofl
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 11:32:14 PM by Himuro »
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1099 on: June 06, 2010, 11:34:41 PM »
ya that was pretty good.  I kept on thinking that the flower imagery was sanji getting an erection though.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1100 on: June 07, 2010, 12:06:36 AM »
:lol

sanji on evilbore island!
duc

treythemovie

« Reply #1101 on: June 09, 2010, 05:20:13 PM »
New chapter's up! http://mangastream.com/read/one_piece/73205842/1

Sabo  :'(

No way he's really dead. I'm onto your little game, Oda.  :maf
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #1102 on: June 09, 2010, 05:35:40 PM »
Yeah, he'll show up later.

Well, flashback is over.  Break next week.  Then story moves on...

In the GAF thread they noticed Oda did a sneaky little retcon thing with this arc.  Sabo put his symbol (S with a strike through it) on the letter Ace got this chapter and that's how the ASCE tattoo gets on Ace's arm :P

« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 05:42:09 PM by Bebpo »

Himu

« Reply #1103 on: June 09, 2010, 06:38:17 PM »
Luffy had the worst flashback of the crew. wtf.
IYKYK

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1104 on: June 09, 2010, 06:56:47 PM »
yeah, that was the very definition of anti-climactic. i am guessing oda just wants to move things along now
duc

Bebpo

« Reply #1105 on: June 09, 2010, 07:02:17 PM »
Yeah, I agree.  I liked the flashback until the fire, then the wrap up just seemed too quick and uncaring.

I dunno, someone on the gaf thread said maybe the first half of the next chapter will do a better job closing this flashback up and transitioning it into the present.  We'll see.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1106 on: June 09, 2010, 07:47:47 PM »
 :piss sabo :piss2

GilloD

• TAKE THE LIFE OF FRED ASTAIRE. MAKE HIM PAY. TRANSFER HIS FAME TO YOU.
« Reply #1107 on: June 09, 2010, 09:38:49 PM »
I'm up to episode 101! I passed the 100 mark!

Arabasta arc is fine, I'm kind of hating how ADVENTURE IN THE DESERT has turned into 40 EPISODES OF FILLER. So glad Chopper is along, though. I'm like a 12 year old girl when it comes to Chopper. I bought some stupid cell phone charms off the street last weekend. Gayyyyyy.

Anyway, I'm excited to get past Arabasta and really kind of see the Grand Line open up. I hope Ace pops up more often, although he's like stupid-strong, blowing up ships and deflecting bullets and whatever/
wha

GilloD

« Reply #1108 on: June 09, 2010, 09:39:05 PM »
Also, Drum Island was anti climax total
wha

Himu

« Reply #1109 on: June 09, 2010, 09:42:04 PM »
I thought Drum Island ending was alright.

The Alabasta episodes around the 100 mark are indeed filler. There's about 2 or so filler episodes. Also, they sometimes mix filler with canon plots, so you should watch them anyways. Once they're out of the desert though, Alabasta moves at a pretty steady pace.
IYKYK

GilloD

« Reply #1110 on: June 10, 2010, 12:27:08 AM »

The Alabasta episodes around the 100 mark are indeed filler. There's about 2 or so filler episodes. Also, they sometimes mix filler with canon plots, so you should watch them anyways. Once they're out of the desert though, Alabasta moves at a pretty steady pace.

Scorpion Man was dumb. The Sand Pirates were dumber. Hoping it picks up again, but I do like these mini adventures. I just wish they felt more substantial.
wha

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1111 on: June 10, 2010, 12:29:44 AM »
ya you're at a real low point of the Alabasta arch and maybe the anime as a whole.  Alabasta gets fuck awesome in a bit though.

Himu

« Reply #1112 on: June 10, 2010, 02:55:19 PM »
ya you're at a real low point of the Alabasta arch and maybe the anime as a whole.  Alabasta gets fuck awesome in a bit though.

Huh? No way. That's Thriller Bark territory.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1113 on: June 10, 2010, 02:55:44 PM »

Scorpion Man was dumb. The Sand Pirates were dumber. Hoping it picks up again, but I do like these mini adventures. I just wish they felt more substantial.

Those two stories are both filler.
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1114 on: June 10, 2010, 03:15:02 PM »

Huh? No way. That's Thriller Bark territory.

I think the desert filler was worse

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
« Reply #1115 on: June 10, 2010, 03:18:14 PM »
I'm loving the animu filler eps explaining more about the crew.

:bow Strawhat crew :bow2
:)

Himu

« Reply #1116 on: June 10, 2010, 03:22:36 PM »
How? The desert filler is like basically like 2-3 episodes. The desert eps last like 8-9 episodes total. So, of that amount, you've basically got just 2-3 filler episodes and then they reach their destination. How is that worse than Thriller Bark, which overextends itself to be over 50 episodes?
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1117 on: June 10, 2010, 03:24:50 PM »
I didn't think TB was so bad to be honest.  I also think I was a bit One Pieced out by the time I got to the desert eps.

also OMG at Tauntaun's avatar. 

Himu

« Reply #1118 on: June 10, 2010, 03:29:49 PM »
Thriller Bark is definitely the low point of the anime. After that, the pacing of the show has been abysmal, including Impel Down.
IYKYK

treythemovie

« Reply #1119 on: June 10, 2010, 03:33:52 PM »
Luffy had the worst flashback of the crew. wtf.
For its length? Definitely. Just compare it to Robin's flashback which was a similar length. In Robin's flashback, the mysteries behind Robin were finally revealed, tragedies occured, we saw some cool stuff like Akainu and we learned some important shit like the World History or what the buster call was. But in Luffy's flashback we got nothing. There is no mystery to be revealed about Luffy, the story focused on his two supposedly dead brothers, there was no cool interesting shit except for Dragon's brief cameo, and even the tragedies were impactful since we've already done the whole 'World Nobles are douches'/'Luffy's brother dies' plotlines. And to make matters worse, the current-day story is 100x more interesting than this flashback.

I think it would have been better had this flashback happened before Marineford started. At least then its developing a character who was still alive. But done this way and it feels like a lengthy retcon to explain why Ace was so stupid against Akainu. I know the author is trying to use this flashback to set up a future arc and that he feels its necessary information, but it could have been so much more interesting.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1120 on: June 10, 2010, 03:35:53 PM »

I think it would have been better had this flashback happened before Marineford started. At least then its developing a character who was still alive. But done this way and it feels like a lengthy retcon to explain why Ace was so stupid against Akainu.
agreed

Himu

« Reply #1121 on: June 10, 2010, 03:36:18 PM »
Definitely the first flashback in the series I found to be disappointing, even if it was still enjoyable.

It would have been better if we got the flashback between Impel Down and Marineford, I agree.
IYKYK

treythemovie

« Reply #1122 on: June 10, 2010, 03:40:28 PM »
I hope Ace pops up more often, although he's like stupid-strong, blowing up ships and deflecting bullets and whatever/
You should probably stop hoping for that.  :-\

Thriller Bark is definitely the low point of the anime. After that, the pacing of the show has been abysmal, including Impel Down.
No way. The low point of the anime is defintely the filler hell it entered post-G8 and before Water 7  :yuck

Thriller Bark wasn't that bad, its just that the 1 chapter per episode pacing only compounded the slowness at occured in the arc's beginning from the manga. One Piece has been going at this sort of pacing since Skypeia, and moreso, Water 7. Sometimes it works great (Sabaody!) while other times it drags (beginning of Enies Lobby, beginning of Thriller Bark).

Himu

« Reply #1123 on: June 10, 2010, 03:41:26 PM »
The Davy Back Fight was pretty bad in the anime. I loved it in the manga, but in the anime it was horrible. They'd make up new contests that wasn't in the manga for the sake of extending it. It sucked.

Also, I disagree with Water 7. I think as a whole, Water 7 is the height of One Piece anime.

I was hoping they'd do Impel Down similar justice but that wasn't the case. Hopefully they do Marineford justice. Sabondy was great too, I admit.
IYKYK

treythemovie

« Reply #1124 on: June 10, 2010, 03:58:56 PM »
The Davy Back Fight was pretty bad in the anime. I loved it in the manga, but in the anime it was horrible. They'd make up new contests that wasn't in the manga for the sake of extending it. It sucked.

Also, I disagree with Water 7. I think as a whole, Water 7 is the height of One Piece anime.

I was hoping they'd do Impel Down similar justice but that wasn't the case. Hopefully they do Marineford justice. Sabondy was great too, I admit.
Water 7 had some slow episodes but overall it was pretty good. Its the beginning of Enies Lobby, specifically, that was animated and paced poorly.

agreed
Definitely the first flashback in the series I found to be disappointing, even if it was still enjoyable.

It would have been better if we got the flashback between Impel Down and Marineford, I agree.
I hold out a completely hopeless wish that after the anime comes back from its goddamn Clip Show(s), it'll just start doing Luffy's flashback rather than start Marineford, or at least throw it in later when Ace's flashback happens. Its never going to happen, especially because it leaves Luffy with nothing to flashback to post-Marineford, but I still think it would make the arc better.

Sometimes I wonder how Marineford would have went down had the author not been juggling the manga, the anime, the Strong World movie and a new baby all at the same time. Perhaps then it wouldn't have been so bogged down by the short chapters, frequent breaks and the most contentless One Piece chapter ever (the short one with only doublepages).

Himu

« Reply #1125 on: June 10, 2010, 04:01:49 PM »
And despite all of that, Marineford is still better than any arc in Bleach or Naruto. In my opinion, the drama and emotional moments make Sabondy + Impel Down + Marineford into the ultimate One Piece arc. It has the fast island to island pacing of early One Piece while being the most dramatic One Piece has ever been.
IYKYK

treythemovie

« Reply #1126 on: June 10, 2010, 04:05:26 PM »
And despite all of that, Marineford is still better than any arc in Bleach or Naruto. In my opinion, the drama and emotional moments make Sabondy + Impel Down + Marineford into the ultimate One Piece arc. It has the fast island to island pacing of early One Piece while being the most dramatic One Piece has ever been.
Marineford happening at the same time as Bleach's own "war" arc made for some hilarious comparisons. Especially when
both Shanks and Ichigo's dad both showed up suddenly in the same issue. It was like: Here is how you do a last minute save the right way, and here is how you do it the wrong way.
[close]

Himu

« Reply #1127 on: June 12, 2010, 11:47:54 PM »
ONE PIECE - EP 455 - THE FRIENDS' WHEREABOUTS! REVOLUTIONARIES AND THE GORGING FOREST'S TRAP! (SUB)

http://www.onepieceofficial.com/videos.aspx?v=5388
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1128 on: June 13, 2010, 12:42:22 AM »
Holy shit, ROBIN

:bow Robin :bow2
IYKYK

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1129 on: June 13, 2010, 01:48:08 AM »
god the art in that ep was criminally awful
duc

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1130 on: June 13, 2010, 11:29:19 AM »
was it ever.  Still enjoyed BOTH stories though.  fat usopp :bow2

Tauntaun

« Reply #1131 on: June 14, 2010, 12:45:57 PM »
god the art in that ep was criminally awful

Yeah I don't get why that happens.  :maf

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1132 on: June 14, 2010, 12:52:47 PM »
they have like four korean studios drawing the eps, and i think they just send 'em basic storyboards for the filler crap
duc

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1133 on: June 14, 2010, 05:13:34 PM »
At least it's not as bad as naruto right now.  One of the biggest fights in a while and everything looks like shit.

Tauntaun

« Reply #1134 on: June 15, 2010, 03:03:33 PM »
At least it's not as bad as naruto right now.  One of the biggest fights in a while and everything looks like shit.

The manga last week.   :'(

Mommy.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
[close]

GilloD

« Reply #1135 on: June 18, 2010, 04:13:38 AM »
Fuuuuuuuuuu. Onepiecehq.com is busted. Now I can't torrent episodes! And Arabasta was getting fukcing AWESOME. SECRET AGENT SANJI
wha

Himu

« Reply #1136 on: June 18, 2010, 08:41:31 AM »
MR PRINCE :bow2
IYKYK

Tauntaun

« Reply #1137 on: June 18, 2010, 12:46:56 PM »
Week off, ODAAAAAAAAAAAAA!  Give me moar!  :maf

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1138 on: June 18, 2010, 12:49:52 PM »
naruto was good this week Taun

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1139 on: June 23, 2010, 07:13:28 PM »
http://mangastream.com/read/one_piece/72772619/1

this is not the luffy i know and love.

fuck this flashback.