Author Topic: So evidently the new 360 dashboard launches wednesday....  (Read 21107 times)

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
So evidently the new 360 dashboard launches wednesday....
« on: November 17, 2008, 12:07:15 PM »
Is that correct? I just read something off of the official site that says the new dashboard launches Wednesday.

Honestly, as I already said before, it's just way, way too similar (and not as pretty) as the XMB from what I've seen, but I'm not going to shoot it in the foot until I see it for myself.
HLR

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
Re: So evidently the new 360 dashboard launches wednesday....
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 12:10:46 PM »
yeah the 19th

most will like it, I didn't have a problem with the blades but eh.

its much faster, prettier and stuff.
萌え~

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 12:25:35 PM »
yeah the 19th

I like it except for the way the friends list displays.  I keep finding myself hitting the guide button and using the old-style friends list every time.
ど助平

GilloD

• TAKE THE LIFE OF FRED ASTAIRE. MAKE HIM PAY. TRANSFER HIS FAME TO YOU.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 12:28:06 PM »
NETFLIX

Everything else can F off
wha

y2kev

• *your name here* annihilated...
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 12:28:57 PM »
So is the expectation that the leaked dashboard will be able to connect in two days?
haw

dark1x

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 12:29:09 PM »
Is there any way to disable the displaying of avatars?  I think the interface looks great overall, but I really dislike the use of avatars.  I mean, it's not as if the Wii overlays its Mii avatars on top of the system menu...

Still, I'm thrilled to hear that it's so much faster than the old dashboard (especially when it comes to listing objects, which was painfully slow).  The installation feature is coming right before Sonic Unleashed (I know, I know) as well, so that should aid the somewhat lengthy load times (at least I hope so).

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 12:31:07 PM »
yeah the 19th

I like it except for the way the friends list displays.  I keep finding myself hitting the guide button and using the old-style friends list every time.

agreed, i use the friends list in game instead

also i think they removed some sorting options in the game marketplace, thats about all the bad I can think of

萌え~

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 12:40:33 PM »
Not excited for it. The blades were fine, the new avatar stuff reeks of Wii, and the new look reeks of boring Sony presentation style blah.

Whatever, i'll use it cause X360 has the games, but I dont see much that's actually convenient about the layout. The new features on the other hand are nice, but completely seperate of the ugly new iface
o_0

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 12:52:25 PM »
It's like the xmb tilted 90 degrees and really no shame in ripping it off- I like the XMB way better than the old dash.  NXE version is a little more clunky since it uses subfolders and a graphics intensive layout, but it's an improvement.

overall though, netflix + installs = win. 

dark1x

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 12:53:29 PM »
Not excited for it. The blades were fine, the new avatar stuff reeks of Wii, and the new look reeks of boring Sony presentation style blah.
The blades are slow as hell, though.  Trying to use most of its functions results in lots of waiting.  If you want to take a look at demos or XBLA games, for instance, you had to wait for the list to repropagate every single time.  NXE immediately lists all of your content.  There are lots of speed improvements throughout.

As for the style, well, I'm surprised anyone was a fan of the old blades design.  It has that overblown cheap "XP" look with ads pasted everywhere.  The avatar stuff does suck, yes, but everything else seems like a huge improvement to me.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 12:55:23 PM »
I knew where everything was in the old system, the whole 'you had to wait' argument is bullshit. Take some drugs for your ADD and sit down.
o_0

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 01:07:33 PM »
Yep, can't wait until Wednesday, finally a reason to turn my 360 on (since I don't own Fable II as of yet)
HLR

drohne

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 01:11:24 PM »
there's nothing remotely 'sony style' about nxe's hideous candycolored pseudo 3d look -- it's pure microsoft

i'll definitely check out the netflix thing tho

MrAngryFace

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 01:14:47 PM »
nah its all sony sterile looking, blah, at least you sony fans will finally find a reason to stop worshiping that failure of a console
o_0

drohne

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 01:18:31 PM »
i wish it were sterile -- on the contrary it's prolific of hideous rarefied miis who insist on straddling your gui

trh

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 01:21:14 PM »
A new feature that I have not seen mentioned anywhere is the ability to display stuff outside of your screen:

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 01:22:13 PM »
So it's confirmed that you can still use gamerpics rather than those awful nintendo-esque things?
UK

drohne

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 01:23:14 PM »
you have the choice of using either a gamerpic or a portrait of your mii, but you've got to make a mii and it's going to sit on the top layer of your interface

dark1x

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »
I knew where everything was in the old system, the whole 'you had to wait' argument is bullshit. Take some drugs for your ADD and sit down.
It has nothing to do with patience for me.  I simply prefer a smooth, polished interface and the blades could not deliver that. 

The argument that you "knew where everything was" is what I'd say is bullshit.  Is it really that difficult to figure out something new?

you have the choice of using either a gamerpic or a portrait of your mii, but you've got to make a mii and it's going to sit on the top layer of your interface
So there's no way to turn that thing off?  :\  That's far and away the most annoying aspect.

archie4208

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 01:31:50 PM »
[Borys]

:bow System installs and Netflix :bow2

:piss Avatars :piss2

[/Borys]

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 01:35:16 PM »
I wonder if the Live messenger functionality is improved at all.
}Ö{

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 01:37:03 PM »
heres some pics to show the difference between the two friends lists

no I dont think you can change it to show gamerpics instead of avatars
萌え~

siamesedreamer

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 01:41:07 PM »
What's the deal with all the points you've already spent on gamerpics and themes?

Do you just lose them or is there some kind of credit system?

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2008, 01:43:10 PM »
you can use both still
萌え~

cool breeze

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 01:56:46 PM »
Avatars are horrendous; the actual style of the new dash is maybe one notch above the blades, still several notches below something good; the hubbub people are making for this makes 2.40 seem like 2.41; avatars are atrocious

but party system, installs, what looks to be a faster interface, quick launch, Netflix, mini-blades, and other features seem awesome

avatars really are the worst things ever.  It's not even like miis' where you can completely ignore them since they have their own channel, Microsoft saw fit to unleash the rare monstrosities all over the new dash.  and always in that damn pose.

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2008, 03:17:28 PM »
there's nothing remotely 'sony style' about nxe's hideous candycolored pseudo 3d look -- it's pure microsoft

Yes, there is.

Basically they threw out the good, simple design of the XMB and filled it with horrible avatars and some pretty damn bad style.

Instead of moving the stick left to right and up and down to access options/media/games, you move the stick up and down to select what you want to access and left to right to access options/media/games. It's the same damn fucking thing with a big bunch of ugly microsoft shit added that's supposed to appeal (somehow) to casuals.

Again, I'm not going to trash it totally until I see it in action, and I'm not going to deny that it's an improvement over the blades, but to say that the XMB and this new dashboard aren't similar in their basic design is just not correct.
HLR

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2008, 03:43:26 PM »
I'll kinda miss the "carbon" theme.  I hope there are some more simple themes for this.

CurseoftheGods

• just hanging around, being shitty
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2008, 04:00:36 PM »

Yes, there is.

Basically they threw out the good, simple design of the XMB and filled it with horrible avatars and some pretty damn bad style.

Instead of moving the stick left to right and up and down to access options/media/games, you move the stick up and down to select what you want to access and left to right to access options/media/games. It's the same damn fucking thing with a big bunch of ugly microsoft shit added that's supposed to appeal (somehow) to casuals.

Again, I'm not going to trash it totally until I see it in action, and I'm not going to deny that it's an improvement over the blades, but to say that the XMB and this new dashboard aren't similar in their basic design is just not correct.

I agree, but I don't really think it's "sony sterile looking" as MAF put it.

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2008, 04:03:59 PM »

Yes, there is.

I didn't like the style of the XMB initially, but I'll give it one point: the original XMB with background was definitely designed to be used with plasmas. The moving background is much better than the stationary pictures. Now, I prefer the themes, and the XMB themes are much more awesome than either the old or new dashboard because you can make your own. And, for the most part, the Sony ones are free (I think the "premium" themes are from a third party if I'm not mistaken).

Speaking of which, there needs to be an Evilbore XMB theme. I've been wanting one for a while.
HLR

cool breeze

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2008, 04:09:08 PM »
It's really easy to make a theme for the PS3, it's just dragging and dropping pictures and sounds in the places you want them (you have to resize and all that obviously)  Downside is that it will always be the XMB and not a total conversion like it is on the PSP with CFW

MrAngryFace

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2008, 04:20:51 PM »

Yes, there is.

Well I think it is, so shut up.
o_0

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2008, 04:26:05 PM »
look at you guys
getting all excited about a dashboard update
you might as well be SONY FANS!
乱学者

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2008, 04:28:30 PM »
wait for nxe

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2008, 04:30:06 PM »
avatars are only displayed on one channel, My xbox - live/profile section.

cool breeze

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2008, 04:31:46 PM »
New xbox dash really does reek of a ps3 style release.  you've got the rabid fans, the failed promises, dropped features, the hardware crashes, official threads, cheering for features already on other platforms.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2008, 04:43:29 PM »
look at you guys

A dashboard update that has actual use, though. Difference!
fat

Tieno

• Iconz
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2008, 04:43:41 PM »
New xbox dash really does reek of a ps3 style release.  you've got the rabid fans, the failed promises, dropped features, the hardware crashes, official threads, cheering for features already on other platforms.
Except for the delays upon delays.

Home, Qore, Haze.
i

Jansen

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2008, 04:44:45 PM »
i don't give a shit about the new GUI (the blades are fine). i just want netflix streaming and installs.

y2kev

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2008, 04:46:35 PM »
I think my drive is about to go....it's stuttering during banjo...i'd install NXE now but I am not sure about bannings. not worth it with it like 24 hours away.
haw

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2008, 04:47:45 PM »
You wont get banned distinguished mentally-challenged fellow
fat

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2008, 04:50:05 PM »
from the email i got:

In participation with this program, you should not move your storage device (hard drive, or memory unit if you do not have a hard drive) to any other console as it will also update that console. If an unregistered console is updated with the NXE update, that console will not be able to connect to Xbox LIVE until the NXE has been officially released on November 19th.

Tieno

• Iconz
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2008, 04:53:54 PM »
Sony fans are the new nintendo fans, while xbox fans try and become the new sony fans.
What are Nintendo fans then?
i

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2008, 04:54:39 PM »
look at you guys

IF YOU WANT TO PERFORM THIS FUNCTION YOU MUST QUIT THE GAME.  

cool breeze

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2008, 04:55:59 PM »
I think my drive is about to go....it's stuttering during banjo...i'd install NXE now but I am not sure about bannings. not worth it with it like 24 hours away.

Banjo makes me 360 so loud.  I went from Banjo XBLA and thinking that was loud, then I started up Banjo Nuts and it was like a jet taking off.  I only have a 20 gig hard drive with 10 gigs free, so I can only do one game at a time, but that's better than nothing.

look at you guys

IF YOU WANT TO PERFORM THIS FUNCTION YOU MUST QUIT THE GAME. 

New xbox dash apparently does that also.  I hate that so much.  At least give me a text only menu to start downloads while I'm in a game.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 04:59:33 PM by swaggaz »

Tieno

• Iconz
i

cool breeze

« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2008, 04:57:53 PM »
Nintendo fans are a mixed breed of Nintendo and Sega fans

cool breeze

« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2008, 04:59:08 PM »
Except for the delays upon delays.

Home, Qore, Haze.

Too early to call since they only had a chance to delay something once so far.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2008, 05:07:05 PM »
Still Nintendo fans

But this time they're armed with NPD figures...and still only first party games, as has been the case since the N64.

CurseoftheGods

• just hanging around, being shitty
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2008, 06:49:29 PM »

Yes, there is.

Well I think it is, so shut up.

Glad to see your replies being as witty as ever.

y2kev

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2008, 06:58:59 PM »
Well, I'll just install it then to prolong my poor box's life.
haw

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2008, 07:46:04 PM »
Nah the blades are sluggish
fat

cool breeze

« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2008, 07:46:56 PM »
All those months ago it just got less slow.  It's still fairly slow, but the new dash seemed to be quick enough.  It's gonna be good to go into my downloaded games and not waiting for the list to load before I can select game.

If you think back to how many problems the 360 had when it first launched it's just amazing with how far the came.  I wish I could revert my 360 to see how it was way back when you couldn't background download and it was super slow.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 07:48:42 PM by swaggaz »

archie4208

« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2008, 07:48:58 PM »
Installed the leaked dash.  Installs are a godsend.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2008, 07:53:25 PM »
i found my list populates quicker on my 120gb drive than it did on my 20gb. cant wait for this new dash though
itm

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2008, 07:55:16 PM »
Looks better than the existing slow ass, cluttered, ad-ridden, hardframed tier based shit looking UI, but then I guess anything that isn't a student Shockwave project does. I really don't understand what in the hell they were thinking with that design. Maybe they were anticipating this excitement over a redesign.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 07:57:03 PM by duckman2000 »

cool breeze

« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2008, 07:59:14 PM »
The concept behind the blades is actually a pretty cool one.  Different pages for the different functions.  Problem is that the execution of it was poor.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2008, 08:00:20 PM »
I don't spend enough time on the dash to give a fuck about Avatars or interfaces either way, and I have my PC hooked up to my TV so Netflix streaming is a big shrug, but game installs = quieter Jetbox and prolonged disc drive life, so thumbs up MS from me.
sup

y2kev

« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2008, 08:10:22 PM »
Why is the text blurry?
haw

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2008, 08:11:32 PM »
budget cpu.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2008, 08:33:48 PM »
it's slow on certain areas like the game library menu when you have more than 10 arcade games or so.

with NXE, it loads everything there in an instant.