Author Topic: So evidently the new 360 dashboard launches wednesday....  (Read 21109 times)

Greatness Gone

Re: So evidently the new 360 dashboard launches wednesday....
« Reply #300 on: November 19, 2008, 11:28:09 PM »
Installed Mirror's Edge. Basically no difference in loading times so far.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #301 on: November 19, 2008, 11:41:24 PM »
how long do installs take? I dont have time to read this thread

I suppose I should just go turn on my xbox

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #302 on: November 19, 2008, 11:43:34 PM »
and that Hercules looks mad sweet

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #303 on: November 19, 2008, 11:43:38 PM »
About as long as it takes for a good wank
fat

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #304 on: November 19, 2008, 11:44:11 PM »
so it varies huh

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #305 on: November 19, 2008, 11:44:24 PM »
For sure
fat

cool breeze

« Reply #306 on: November 20, 2008, 12:00:35 AM »
Banjo was really quick.  Faster than most optional or mandatory PS3 installs and this was 6+ gigs.

I'm not even joking...wow, that's really sad.  How the fuck does that happen? ridiculous
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 12:02:24 AM by swaggaz »

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #307 on: November 20, 2008, 12:10:34 AM »
Netflix streaming is my favorite part, hands down. Sure, my selection is largely restricted to things like Hercules, Xena, SeaQuest, Sliders, but there's some good stuff there too!
o_0

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #308 on: November 20, 2008, 12:14:35 AM »
alright made my faget avatar, it sort of looks like me

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #309 on: November 20, 2008, 12:15:42 AM »
mine is pretty close to me, cept I dont have a jacket that nice. I should get one. Then next halloween I can just go as myself and say im dressed as my Xbox Avatar :(
o_0

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #310 on: November 20, 2008, 12:22:17 AM »
haha, now console gamers can experience the NIGHT OF INSTALLS PC gamers enjoy every time they get a new rig. Never gonna play em but OMG GAMES

:lol i've done this so often.
vjj

siamesedreamer

« Reply #311 on: November 20, 2008, 01:28:42 AM »
The party system works really well.

Man, I just can't get over how awesome this new set up is.

:bow MS :bow2

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #312 on: November 20, 2008, 03:24:17 AM »
I hope that by the next update they allow you to download the full X360 games to your HDD a week before a game comes out so you don't have to sit and wait 10 minutes for it to install once you get it.  Obviously, you would get a code from wherever you pre-order the game.  Might be too much to ask with the fear of piracy but if it's doing a disk check, it should be fine I guess.

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #313 on: November 20, 2008, 04:08:53 AM »
mine is pretty close to me, cept I dont have a jacket that nice. I should get one. Then next halloween I can just go as myself and say im dressed as my Xbox Avatar :(

:rofl

Make sure to take pics.

originalz

• Z!?
« Reply #314 on: November 20, 2008, 05:14:33 AM »
Based on some research I've done, it appears that that other people are experiencing the no visual problem.  The common factor is that they all have Samsung TVs, including myself.

This is...annoying...

originalz

• Z!?
« Reply #315 on: November 20, 2008, 06:19:21 AM »
I hooked my TV up to my SDTV.

NETFLIX IS NOT IP LOCKED!!!  The online site is, but you can use a proxy.  It'll stream to the 360 no problem.

This is absolutely awesome, so many movies and TV shows I can watch now!

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #316 on: November 20, 2008, 06:21:58 AM »
yeah, many uk gaffers did the same.

btw instead of switching tvs, why didn't you switch cables?

dark1x

« Reply #317 on: November 20, 2008, 08:04:13 AM »
Absolutely love the new interface.  Everything feels so much quicker.  It actually makes me want to purchase more games on the 360 over any other platform simply due to the experience of using the console.  The old dashboard was so slow and clunky in comparison.  Even the avatar system isn't that bad.  It's actually far more useful than the Miis ever could be simply because the 360 is so much more "connected".

Now I just need to find a 120gb drive.  With the rate at which they are disappearing, I hope Microsoft has a larger drive in the wings.  My 20gb drive just isn't going to cut it.

I still can't believe that my launch 360 actually made it this far...

Banjo was really quick.  Faster than most optional or mandatory PS3 installs and this was 6+ gigs.

I'm not even joking...wow, that's really sad.  How the fuck does that happen? ridiculous
There is actually a good reason for it.  PS3 installs have more in line with PC installs in that the installer copies a selected group of files to the hard drive.  The problem is, copying a large number of smaller files takes significantly more time than copying one large file.  This holds quite true on the PC side.  It's simply a limitation of the technology.  The reason games like DMC4 take so much damn time is that Capcom decided to copy over a huge number of small files.  It's the same reason why some PC games take ages to install while others finish quickly.  If you want to experience pain try installing the PC version of Shin Sangoku Musou 5.  >_<

NXE, however, essentially creates a disc image on the hard drive (a single file).  This approach is MUCH faster.

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #318 on: November 20, 2008, 09:08:05 AM »
i have an eclectic mix of movies lined up for instant watch

goin south
the stranger
sleeper
to hell and back
every which way but loose
any which way you can
our man flint
in like flint
duck, you sucker
kelley's heroes
la vie en rose
HELLZ YEAH CLINT EASTWOOD BITCH HIGH FIVES EEL
UK

Draft

« Reply #319 on: November 20, 2008, 09:09:59 AM »
Anyone looking for a new 120gb:

Circuit City is selling them for $99, and they have stacks of $15 off $100 purchases at the registers. Got mine yesterday with a box of Junior Mints for like $90.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #320 on: November 20, 2008, 09:24:47 AM »
Really like the new interface, it's very smooth, things feel more responsive (the blades always felt rife with slowdown, especially when scrolling through lists). Only problem is that, I've noticed when I was looking at my friends list, and viewing the members of a party, then canceling, there were times where the interface locked up for almost a minute.

The avatars are a bit naff, seem very "mii-too" (I'm sure that pun has been made a billion times already)... though my friend made a cool Joker avatar. And some of the features (buck teeth, big lips, hook nose) make it easy to recreate ethnic stereotypes  :P
^_^

patrickula

« Reply #321 on: November 20, 2008, 09:48:50 AM »
I'm impressed, NXE is great.  Good jon MS  :american
The Netflix HD streaming worked really well and while the avatars need more clothes, they aren't that bad and I'm sure they'll encourage more "regular" people to use the system and Live.  The party system is rad and the interface looks alot better, and is much more responsive.  The guide looks great now.
Some things are a bit confusing but it's not bad.
And it installed pretty quickly too.  I need to get a bigger hard drive so I can install some games.
The PS3 is such a joke  :-\

Draft

« Reply #322 on: November 20, 2008, 10:14:47 AM »

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #323 on: November 20, 2008, 12:08:18 PM »
post that in the cigarillo thread, draft.   :lol
pyh

dark1x

« Reply #324 on: November 20, 2008, 12:19:09 PM »
Just got a 120gb HDD for $99 at Best Buy (price matched CC).  Now I can really start enjoying NXE.

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #325 on: November 20, 2008, 07:31:35 PM »
i dont like how half the movies I want to watch "are not streamable on xbox" though
Blame Sony. :(
That's incorrect.  The licensing deal did not include the 360 as a stream able device.

There's a lot being written about the disappearance of Sony films from Xbox's Netflix streaming service, and most of it is wrong.

Several blogs have suggested that Sony pulled movies from Columbia Pictures, owned by Sony, because it has a problem with Microsoft or the Xbox. That isn't the case. It turns out that Netflix simply didn't get a licensing deal done with Sony that included the Xbox or some of Netflix's other distribution partners, according to sources close to the situation. This is a bad goof on Netflix's part.

"This issue is not specific to Xbox or any other individual platform," the company said in an e-mail statement on Wednesday evening. "Sony Pictures is currently in discussions with the relevant parties to resolve certain licensing matters related to the distribution of its motion pictures. Given the ongoing nature of these discussions, we don't think it is appropriate to comment further at this time."

Steve Swasey, Netflix's spokesman, refused to discuss any specific studio licensing deals but did say that titles "come in and out of licensing all the time." He acknowledged that some movies once offered as part of the Netflix streaming service on Xbox aren't there anymore. He said the company hopes it's only temporary.

Netflix has done a great job of moving streaming movies from the Internet to TV sets with the Netflix Player from Roku and by partnering to offer its streaming service via Xbox.

But one of the main complaints I have with the streaming service is that it's still light on titles. If Netflix loses those they already have, they're frustrating customers and hurting themselves. This is the kind of basic blocking and tackling the Netflix guys are typically so good at.

(Note to Netflix CEO Reed Hastings: Don't flub this kind of thing. I'm sure you're aware some of the studios were lukewarm about Xbox offering Netflix and would have preferred to see Microsoft build its own film offering).

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10102728-93.html?tag=newsEditorsPicksArea.0

Saw this as a comment on Engadget:
This is the equivalent of Sony licensing their movies to HBO but saying that DirectTV subscribers are not allowed to view Sony's movies on HBO.
CBG