Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1830958 times)

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
Re: so, Obama is president
« Reply #480 on: January 28, 2009, 06:58:33 PM »
IT? Ah didn't know that. Accounting isn't kicking my ass but it's boring me to sleep; I feel like switching, but at the same time if I finish/get my degree I'll have a job out the gate. Then I can do what I want to do (mba, maybe law school)
Yeah. AIS the Accounting/Information Systems major. How many accounting classes have you taken? All you seem to take is endless African American studies classes .

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #481 on: January 28, 2009, 07:00:16 PM »
I took like three! I'd go crazy if all I did was take business classes

I've taken like 6-7 accounting class. I only need a few more but jeez...

Cheebs

« Reply #482 on: January 28, 2009, 07:02:57 PM »
I took like three! I'd go crazy if all I did was take business classes

I've taken like 6-7 accounting class. I only need a few more but jeez...
Why the hell would you take 3 african american studies classes. It isn't even a requirement!  :lol You should have taken some politics classes.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #483 on: January 28, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
I'm pretty scared shitless for my future.  My interests and goals in terms of careers all end up in some pretty shitty money makers unless I get lucky.  English major...where does that lead?  Teaching?  I don't know, I can't see myself really doing anything with it (editor?  critic?  meh).  When I switch to Music Business at Belmont...well, it's a shrinking industry.  I think my best bet is Music Business with an emphasis on Production with a minor in New Media Journalism, so at least by the time I graduate I can have some sort of idea of what direction I want to go in terms of grad school/interning.
püp

siamesedreamer

« Reply #484 on: January 28, 2009, 07:05:41 PM »
There's nothing in the bill that should give anyone confidence it will help.

Its crap any way you look at it. But, I suspect we'll have a bit of a run in the markets for a few months. Doesn't change the fundamentals.

bud

• a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage
« Reply #485 on: January 28, 2009, 07:05:58 PM »
no offence, man, but the classes you're taking are good for nothing.

i was honestly laughing when you posted what classes you were taking. smh
zzz

Cheebs

« Reply #486 on: January 28, 2009, 07:08:53 PM »
I am in my last year right now, I honestly don't even want to think about it. At least I am in a business major and accounting and IT are stable type of jobs. But still.  :-\

To get back on track though, what do the GOP think they'll gain from this? Do they honestly think the economy will continue to fall all the way until Obama's re-election? Hell, if that happens we'll officially be in a depression. No way it will go on that long. And the very second the slightest uptick begins to happen you know Obama and his political team will swoop on in and begin to fairly or unfairly credit this bill till it is hammered home. I can't see how this will work out, there is no way the economy will fall for another 4 years.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #487 on: January 28, 2009, 07:08:59 PM »
You're spending thousands of dollars on music business? smh, I bet most music industry agents have no education in that field.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #488 on: January 28, 2009, 07:09:49 PM »
no offence, man, but the classes you're taking are good for nothing.

i was honestly laughing when you posted what classes you were taking. smh

Mine?  Yeah, I know.  But I'm taking those for a reason.  I actually ended up dropping that music course for something in my major, a Literature class.

I'm taking such broad, diversity-like credits because they're the easiest to transfer to the school I want without having to be a second-year freshman.  If I were making insane headway into my English major, none of them would transfer over since I'm switching to a different major.

This also isn't factoring the credit I'll get with my AP scores, which for some reason didn't get sent to my current school (Kent) but found their way to Belmont.

You're spending thousands of dollars on music business? smh, I bet most music industry agents have no education in that field.

This is my main concern.  If I get down there and feel as if I could be getting that sort of education...well, myself, I would drop that.  But luckily, I've read so many great things about Belmont's music program in terms of post-grad opportunities that I feel regardless, I'll be happy with the outcome.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 07:12:40 PM by BrandNew »
püp

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #489 on: January 28, 2009, 07:12:15 PM »
Wanting for a country to have a stockpile of weapons is a bit different than wanting an economy to prosper and people to get jobs, even with political motivation for both.
If the repubs were successful in blocking this, then there could be more time spent planning it through and cutting out the pork but it would still allow most of the politicians to save face.  If something this controversial gets passed and it doesn't have a large tangible effect in 4 years, or even 2 years, then the democratic congress is screwed.  We realistically might start to come out of the recession by the next presidential primaries.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #490 on: January 28, 2009, 07:16:41 PM »
http://www.buzzflash.com/articles/alerts/567

wtf @ comments?  I used to read this site.  when did it become Free Republic Blue Version?
QED

Cheebs

« Reply #491 on: January 28, 2009, 07:18:36 PM »
Hahaha ending the fillibuster.  :lol That'd be political suicide to try to do.

siamesedreamer

« Reply #492 on: January 28, 2009, 07:25:21 PM »
The risk isn't that it will continue to fall (which it will). Its that when it bottoms out it remains flat.

Credit crisises usually take 3-5 years to fully shake out. Just look at all the money being thrown around. Its delusional to think more debt and leverage will fix this problem. There is no free lunch. We'll pay for it some way or another in the form of economically stagnating things like inflation and/or much higher taxes.

And that's completely ignoring the demographic changes that are and will occur for years to come.

My point is that really nothing can be done to "fix" this. They can maybe mitigate some of the bad stuff. But, that risks screwing things up (ie tons more debt). There's just too much stacked against us to warrant belief in a quick turn around or even in the medium term. I wouldn't be surprised if we're into the 2020s before we some good growth again. Hope I'm wrong.  
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 07:27:31 PM by siamesedreamer »

y2kev

• *your name here* annihilated...
« Reply #493 on: January 28, 2009, 07:49:27 PM »
English majors go anywhere they want. I know a friend who was an English major and joined the wall street blitz a few years ago. But now the recruiters are being stingy. Still, you can do a lot. As long as you vary your courseload I guess.
haw

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #494 on: January 28, 2009, 08:18:15 PM »
English majors go anywhere they want. I know a friend who was an English major and joined the wall street blitz a few years ago. But now the recruiters are being stingy. Still, you can do a lot. As long as you vary your courseload I guess.

Intelligent English majors who graduate from good schools.
AMC

Oblivion

« Reply #495 on: January 28, 2009, 08:18:49 PM »
You would think an English degree would be pretty worthless, but I know quite a few people that got some pretty cool jobs with one.

y2kev

• *your name here* annihilated...
« Reply #496 on: January 28, 2009, 08:24:21 PM »
Majors are stupid. Unless you're going to be something highly technical (engineering) something explicitly preprofessional (premed), university should just be used to cultivate critical thinking anyway.
haw

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #497 on: January 28, 2009, 08:57:39 PM »
man was the WSJ always like this or have they just gone coco for coocoo puffs since murdoch happened?

Fill me in -- what's this about Rupert?

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #498 on: January 28, 2009, 09:03:56 PM »
man was the WSJ always like this or have they just gone coco for coocoo puffs since murdoch happened?

Fill me in -- what's this about Rupert?

he bought the WSJ
Tonya

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #499 on: January 28, 2009, 10:06:26 PM »

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #500 on: January 28, 2009, 10:24:32 PM »
oh my
Tonya

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #501 on: January 28, 2009, 10:26:33 PM »
good jon kucinich
PSP

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #502 on: January 28, 2009, 11:12:21 PM »
So the Republicans are basically a joke party at this point.

Kucinich is a democrat
püp

Cheebs

« Reply #503 on: January 28, 2009, 11:31:13 PM »
Obama has been having lengthy meetings with Pres. Carter about the mid-east. Pretty awesome, previous presidents including Clinton shunned Carter.

Former President Jimmy Carter has long been kept on the margins of his party both for the bad memories of his 1980 defeat, and for his increasingly sharp attacks on Israel's occupation of the Palestinian territories and calls to open talks with Hamas.

Carter today lavished praise on President Obama's choice of Middle East envoy in an interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer, and said he'd talked at length with Obama earlier this month about the Middle East, though he gave no indication Obama agreed with his view of the region.

Obama " has taken a strong role already in pursuing peace in the Middle East. And he's -- and he's chosen George Mitchell, the best American alive to undertake this responsibility, to be his representative in -- his envoy to the Mideast. That's a major change," Carter said.

"I have total confidence in him," Carter said of Mitchell.

"What about Hillary Clinton, the secretary of state?" Blitzer asked.

"I think she'll comply with the policies established by the president. As will George Mitchell," Carter replied.

Carter also said he "spent a long time with President Obama" the evening before the five living presidents met at the White House January 7.

As Rosalynn Carter and David Axelrod took notes, they talked policy, he said.

"I would say he was most interested in the Middle East because I had been to that region twice in the previous year and had met with some people that others usually don’t meet with as you probably know, Carter said.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0109/Carter_praises_Mitchell_pick_.html?showall

patrickula

« Reply #504 on: January 28, 2009, 11:38:06 PM »
:bow Kucinich

Cheebs

« Reply #505 on: January 28, 2009, 11:46:01 PM »
lol poligaf
Did anyone think of a possible Supersupermajority in the senate? Imagine this.

2010 - Economy is significantly better, Obama and Democrats thanked for saving it by the public, 5 senate seats gained.

2012 - Economy is much better, Al Queda is devastated thanks to effective operations in Afghanistan, overall Obama is very popular. Obama wins reelection by a Reagan 1984 landslide thanks to massive popularity. Helping this is the weak Republican ticket of Sarah Palin & Newt Gingrich. 7 senate seats gained thanks to Obama coattails.

2014 - Country still going strong. 3 senate seats gained.

2016 - Hillary loses nomination to Evan Bayh, who later picks her as VP. Coming off of the strong popularity of the Obama presidency, the Bayh/Clinton ticket wins in a 430-100 landslide. 4 senate seats gained.

That would be a 78 seat Democratic majority  incredibly unlikely but fun to think about.

But what if then...

2018 - Thanks to a recession, no campaign promises fulfilled and an unpopular war over in Africa, the midterms are a slaughter, with 10 senate seats lost.
2020 - President Bayh is incredibly unpopular thanks to a 2019 sex scandal involving on him cheating with a 19 year old intern. Although Kathleen Sebelius makes a very strong primary challenge, Bayh kept the nomination. With the war still active, a botched handling of the recent San Francisco earthquake and the divorce of President Bayh, the Democrats due horribly, with 13 senate seats lost, and the Presidency being lost as well to a charismatic young hispanic who was governor of Texas...

Almost entirely erasing the majority

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #506 on: January 28, 2009, 11:47:54 PM »
Be honest - you wrote that, didn't you, Cheebs?
PSP

siamesedreamer

« Reply #507 on: January 29, 2009, 12:11:18 AM »
I wonder what Kucinich thinks about the Fed's plan to buy 10-year treasuries?

Mandark

• Icon
Ad hominem's got a bad name
« Reply #508 on: January 29, 2009, 12:12:54 AM »
All I see is bitching about the source. Anyone has any counterpoints from the usual suspects then post them. Most of us here are all ears.

And what's Renew America?

Cause the source is the WSJ editorial page (which has a long history history of being intellectually frivolous and safely ignorable) c/ped by you (and yer dumb).

At least the crazy person on the Metro who thinks the government's building a giant space laser let me roll my eyes and didn't bitch that I wasn't engaging his ideas.

edit:  Right now I've got an editorial by Larry Lindsay at the WSJ loaded on my page.  A sidebar helpfully links to other top pieces in their opinion pages today.

"Obama Made a Rash Decision on Gitmo" by John Yoo

"The Obama White House May Be a Crowded Mess" by Karl Rove

"My Bipartisan Stimulus" by Rush Limbaugh
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 12:49:55 AM by Mandark »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #509 on: January 29, 2009, 12:24:38 AM »

That's what got Lincoln and JFK killed smh

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #510 on: January 29, 2009, 12:28:11 AM »

That's what got Lincoln and JFK killed smh

Mel Gibson tried to warn him, but it was too late for Kooch.

siamesedreamer

« Reply #511 on: January 29, 2009, 06:46:20 AM »
What do those three editorials by obviously biased people have to do with an editorial by the paper itself using hard numbers from the bill? Point out where its wrong. I already stated I'm open to other interpretations.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 06:52:18 AM by siamesedreamer »

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
« Reply #512 on: January 29, 2009, 09:57:53 AM »
:)

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #513 on: January 29, 2009, 12:55:51 PM »
What do those three editorials by obviously biased people have to do with an editorial by the paper itself using hard numbers from the bill? Point out where its wrong. I already stated I'm open to other interpretations.

Did you ignore my (heavily flavored by sarcasm) posts?  Most of the things cited in that particular article can be easily related to the economic crisis, minus the renovations to the Smithsonian.  Over the past two days, I've seen several articles that have pointed out legitimate issues with the bill, but again, the article you posted doesn't really point anything especially audacious out.
serge

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #514 on: January 29, 2009, 03:14:16 PM »

Except it's not simply pointing out the universally understood and agreed-upon significance of those numbers.  It's making a series of arguments, some of which are transparently horseshit.

1)  Corporate tax cuts count as stimulus but personal tax cuts don't.

2)  Mass transit doesn't count because it doesn't turn a profit.  Highways do count, even when they bring no revenue.

3)  Buying cars for the federal government is bad because... well, they already spend like a totally big number on it!  With no context of what they're used for, the state of the fleet, etc.

4)  Electric grid funds count.  Making buildings energy-efficient doesn't.

5)  Medicare is something for "people who do nothing".  Aside from the tastelessness in assailing "people who do nothing" in an economy like this, it's factually wrong.  The money goes pretty directly to health care professionals and pharmaceutical companies who are providing a service.

6)  Education apparently provides no returns on investment!  This was maybe my favorite bit.  It's plausible as long as you ignore the common school movement, the high school movement, the GI Bill, just about every international data point (y halo thar Azn tigerz!), and common sense.

But the biggest thing is the general approach.  The author uses absolutely no arguments from economics.  He doesn't explain or even try to contradict the reasoning behind the bill.  No mention of "demand", "business cycle", "employment", Keynes or Friedman or any of that.

He (and let's not get so PC to think the WSJ would have a woman writing an unsigned editorial) never actually makes a case that this will hurt the economy.  He just lists things that money is being spent on and gets outraged, assuming that the reader will share his outrage because all right-thinking people naturally hate teachers unions, tree-huggers, and the dirty poors.

PS Don't pat yourself on the back for "I'm open to other viewpoints."  Falling completely for unmitigated bullshit and letting yourself get talked back to sanity by people willing to do the thinking is not a winning personality trait.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #515 on: January 29, 2009, 04:03:29 PM »
:bow
©ZH

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #516 on: January 29, 2009, 04:22:34 PM »
Can I pat myself on the back if I'm open to all viewpoints?
PSP

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #517 on: January 29, 2009, 04:30:30 PM »
Somebody I work with noticed that the amount we have spent on the bailout and stimulus bill is equal to the entire budget in 1995. :S

Oblivion

« Reply #518 on: January 29, 2009, 04:44:54 PM »
Quick question, guys. At least for those living in Cali, is it looking likely that financial aid for us college students is gonna be drastically reduced? What's the word on the internets?

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #519 on: January 29, 2009, 06:59:17 PM »
Quick question, guys. At least for those living in Cali, is it looking likely that financial aid for us college students is gonna be drastically reduced? What's the word on the internets?
well I know that most schools are coping with their budget cuts by accepting less students this fall.  I don't know what they plan to do to financial aid though.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #520 on: January 29, 2009, 07:01:05 PM »
Not my president.

He just took out a great american hero in Blagojevich. How am I supposed to trust this corrput president? Next thing you know is he'll make marijuana illegal and free health care to all.

:usacry
USA

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #521 on: January 29, 2009, 10:21:00 PM »
SD obliterated

Cheebs

« Reply #522 on: January 29, 2009, 10:50:01 PM »
Apparently Obama is in serious talks to get Republican Senator Judd Gregg to be his new commerce secretary. A senator who is extremely vulnerable in 2010. It's a brilliant political move, the gov. of NH is Democrat. The move would grant Obama the 60 vote filibuster proof senate he needs. Gregg is saying he is "not at liberty to discuss" any possible appointment, which is far from no. Republicans got to be freaking out right about now, if Gregg takes it then their one real ability they had in a pure Democratic government would be gone.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0109/18193.html

Rman

« Reply #523 on: January 29, 2009, 10:52:59 PM »
The GOP bigwigs have probably been feverishly trying to contact the Senator to keep his seat.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #524 on: January 29, 2009, 11:38:33 PM »

Interesting, if only to see what Obama would look like with a high top fade

Seems like a few the tin foil people are still struggling to label Obama.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #525 on: January 29, 2009, 11:39:57 PM »
Can I pat myself on the back if I'm open to all viewpoints?

It's actually quite a fun pastime.  In fact, I'll indulge myself:

I think it's pretty well established that Dick Cheney is a shapeshifting alien lizard, but if someone has convincing evidence, I'm willing to consider other extraterrestrial species.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #526 on: January 30, 2009, 12:16:11 AM »
Damn Reptilians!
PSP

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #527 on: January 30, 2009, 12:18:47 AM »
Only in New Hampshire baby.
USA

siamesedreamer

« Reply #528 on: January 30, 2009, 01:07:55 AM »
Lots of words and barely any point. The article showed the enormous wastes in the bill in the name of STIMULUS and that most of the waste is going to DEM constituencies - not that it would hurt the economy (wtf?). Virtually none of it is aimed directly at creating jobs in the short term. Almost all of the spending part could be siphoned off onto other bills. Want to debate more money going into education? That's fine. But, it doesn't belong in this stimulus bill. Want to debate more money going to Medicare and unemployment. Again, that's fine. But, it doesn't belong in this stimulus bill.

I mean, the spending on infrastructure in the bill is beyond pathetic. Send Nancy down here to Atlanta. I can give her enough ideas for improving the traffic that she could spend $150 billion easily. Tons of jobs ready to be had. We could emply them for a decade. But, apperently there were other more important backs that needed to be scratched.

We all know who will be proven right in two years anyway. Four million jobs created...LMFAO. Will y'all have a circle jerk for me then? 

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #529 on: January 30, 2009, 01:18:34 AM »
If that's the plan for a supermajority... so awesome. :hyper
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 01:23:47 AM by ferrarimanf355 »

Mandark

• Icon
Traffic abatement counts. Education doesn't.
« Reply #530 on: January 30, 2009, 01:24:23 AM »
Lots of words and barely any point. The article showed the enormous wastes in the bill in the name of STIMULUS and that most of the waste is going to DEM constituencies - not that it would hurt the economy (wtf?). Virtually none of it is aimed directly at creating jobs in the short term. Almost all of the spending part could be siphoned off onto other bills. Want to debate more money going into education? That's fine. But, it doesn't belong in this stimulus bill. Want to debate more money going to Medicare and unemployment. Again, that's fine. But, it doesn't belong in this stimulus bill.

How is paying people to build schools and teach students not aimed at creating jobs?

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #531 on: January 30, 2009, 01:33:23 AM »
that shit is woman's work.  and everyone knows women don't have real jobs, by definition.
QED

TVC15

« Reply #532 on: January 30, 2009, 01:52:13 AM »
that shit is woman's work.  and everyone knows women don't have real jobs, by definition.

And females are more likely to vote Democrat than Republican.
serge

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #533 on: January 30, 2009, 01:59:07 AM »

Especially not Nancy Pelosi.  She should come down to Atlanta where sd will learn her a thing or two, hur hur hur.

Speaking of sd, looks like I bruised his feelings and he might not be coming back here in a while.  Crying about being unpopular and logging out immediately after posting isn't a good sign.

Sorry buddy, but you were the one who asked for an actual response!  But in case you're still lurking around...

Why should education be off limits in a stimulus bill, but not road-building?  They both require hiring people.  Both are typically funded through their own separate bills.  What's the distinction?  What's your logic?

TVC15

« Reply #534 on: January 30, 2009, 02:03:24 AM »

Why should education be off limits in a stimulus bill, but not road-building?  They both require hiring people.  Both are typically funded through their own separate bills.  What's the distinction?  What's your logic?

Because Bush cut the education budget several times, right?  Or at least proposed it.  I forget. 
serge

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #535 on: January 30, 2009, 02:06:00 AM »
jeez Mandark, slow down son. I'm sure SD is just taking a break

TVC15

« Reply #536 on: January 30, 2009, 02:07:40 AM »
Alternately, the better educated a person is, the more likely they are to vote democrat.

serge

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #537 on: January 30, 2009, 02:10:56 AM »
jeez Mandark, slow down son. I'm sure SD is just taking a break

You don't understand, PD.  I've got to drive away as many posters from this forum as possible by the end of next month (starting with Manabyte) if I want to inherit Willco's fortune.

It's like Brewster's Millions, but with a Jewish cast.

TVC15

« Reply #538 on: January 30, 2009, 02:14:32 AM »
Have you compiled your Nixon-esque enemies list?  Do you know who the next target will be?
serge

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #539 on: January 30, 2009, 02:28:56 AM »
See, I like to think of it as an optimistic, New Year's resolution kinda to-do list, rather than a paranoid, jowly Nixon list.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm gonna take credit for Malek if he ever has the self-discipline to stay away, then probably Green Shinobi or etiolate.  They seem like feasible targets, unlike Cheebs who blithely shrugs off all my abuse.

Nothing personal dodes!
[close]