Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1880540 times)

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #7740 on: February 19, 2010, 04:26:19 PM »
i just found out about xpac.  the cpac youth outreach program

http://www.facebook.com/pages/XPAC/245777089026
Tonya

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #7741 on: February 19, 2010, 04:39:46 PM »

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #7742 on: February 19, 2010, 05:55:34 PM »
:piss xpac :piss2
©ZH

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #7744 on: February 20, 2010, 03:58:40 PM »
Republicans account for 34% of the earmarks (in dollars) for 2009. Overall, earmark spending was slightly up over 2008. Good to see our government tightening the belt during hard times.

The worst was Thad Cochran(R) of Miss. who had 500 million dollars in pork.

http://www.lvrj.com/opinion/oink_-oink-84839177.html

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #7745 on: February 20, 2010, 04:38:43 PM »
Considering that Republicans are more apt to represent sparsely populated states in the Senate, sounds about right.
yar

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7746 on: February 20, 2010, 08:31:51 PM »
Quote from: LVRJ article
Although they represent less than 2 percent of federal government spending each year...

People kvetching about earmarks is a dead giveaway that they're uninformed or unserious about the budget.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #7747 on: February 20, 2010, 08:58:08 PM »
Although they represent less than 2 percent of federal government spending each year...

People kvetching about earmarks is a dead giveaway that they're uninformed or unserious about the budget.

Yup. True believers are all about freezing discretionary spending :rock

*daps ToxicAdam*

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7748 on: February 20, 2010, 08:59:09 PM »
Cry.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7749 on: February 20, 2010, 09:00:27 PM »
 :lol

We need a Reagan deal-with-it emote

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #7750 on: February 20, 2010, 09:54:29 PM »
<Triumph casts *summon FoC*>

Ron Paul wins the CPAC straw poll with 31% to Mittens' 22%.

Of course, the money people in charge of things in the GOP will never let Paul win the nomination.  He should just run as a libertopian.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7751 on: February 20, 2010, 10:17:33 PM »
I wonder what would happen if he somehow, magically won the presidency. No way either party would support some of the stuff he wants to do.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #7752 on: February 20, 2010, 10:23:19 PM »
He wouldn't beat Obama.  Hell, even Mittens probably can't beat Obama, considering how far to the right he's gonna have to pretend to go in order to win the primaries in 2012.  I hope/bet there's a "Tea Party" candidate in 2012.
yar

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7753 on: February 20, 2010, 10:41:07 PM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7754 on: February 20, 2010, 10:43:06 PM »
He wouldn't beat Obama.  Hell, even Mittens probably can't beat Obama, considering how far to the right he's gonna have to pretend to go in order to win the primaries in 2012.  I hope/bet there's a "Tea Party" candidate in 2012.

I know, I was just considering a magical world where Paul somehow won, wondering how government would react.

It'll be funny seeing all the candidates pile on Romney in debates, again. Especially considering health care will have passed and they can throw mud about MA.

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politi
« Reply #7755 on: February 20, 2010, 10:47:34 PM »
My completely uninformed intuition is that Obama will take 2012 handedly. 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7756 on: February 20, 2010, 10:50:07 PM »
"anyone but x" doesn't work too well

ask Kerry, whigz

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7757 on: February 20, 2010, 10:58:24 PM »
I know, I was just considering a magical world where Paul somehow won

You don't even have to wonder about such a thing. Although our country is crazy enough to elect someone like Sarah Palin I would wager.

Phoenix Dark

ToxicAdam

« Reply #7759 on: February 20, 2010, 11:27:49 PM »

Don't tell me 2% ain't shit when 3 extra billion for the Constellation program becomes "too costly" for this administration's budget.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #7760 on: February 21, 2010, 01:23:08 AM »
ask Kerry, whigz
he wasn't an incumbent.

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politi
« Reply #7761 on: February 21, 2010, 03:19:41 AM »
ask Kerry, whigz
he wasn't an incumbent.

That's (kind of) the point.  Anyone running against Obama is more or less going to be running on the "anyone but Obama" platform. 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7762 on: February 21, 2010, 03:23:02 AM »
ask Kerry, whigz
he wasn't an incumbent.

That's (kind of) the point.  Anyone running against Obama is more or less going to be running on the "anyone but Obama" platform. 

this

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #7763 on: February 21, 2010, 03:48:01 AM »
So how does that plan make sense for Republicans/Tea Party candidates if most of the people who regret voting for Obama think that he's too much of a centrist?  Unless you're saying that he wouldn't get past the primaries.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7764 on: February 21, 2010, 03:52:11 AM »
...what?

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #7765 on: February 21, 2010, 06:40:46 AM »
Obama has 2012 unless there is a catastrophic fuck up between now and then and not in the faux conservative outrage sense of fucking up.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7766 on: February 21, 2010, 12:20:29 PM »
I wonder how conservatives would react if we catch or kill Bin Laden in the next year or so

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #7767 on: February 21, 2010, 12:23:33 PM »
I wonder how conservatives would react if we catch or kill Bin Laden in the next year or so

Probably just praise Patreaus and try not to mention Obama at all.
yar

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7768 on: February 21, 2010, 12:34:45 PM »

Don't tell me 2% ain't shit when 3 extra billion for the Constellation program becomes "too costly" for this administration's budget.

wat

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #7769 on: February 21, 2010, 02:18:30 PM »
wat
nerds are mad that Obama cut NASA funding, perhaps the only thing Bush did that they liked.

not to call ToxicAdam a nerd, its just that nobody outside of the internet really cares (IE, nerdy issue).

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7770 on: February 21, 2010, 02:41:22 PM »
Oh, I know that conservatarian technophiles love stuff that was considered futuristic in the 50's (nuclear power! manned spaceflight!).  It's just a non sequitur in this conversation.

Oblivion

« Reply #7771 on: February 21, 2010, 06:17:14 PM »
Nobody likes Ron Paul, but I think I'd rather have a libertopian like him be in office than a republitard like Palin. At least the former won't attempt to provide a health care solution that involves exorcisms and leeches.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #7772 on: February 21, 2010, 06:20:49 PM »
he won't attempt a health care solution, period

that said, i prefer ron paul's money voodoo to palin's straight-up voodoo
duc

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #7773 on: February 21, 2010, 09:08:04 PM »
the evils of two lessers, if you will.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #7774 on: February 21, 2010, 09:28:33 PM »
Nothing would get done during a Ron Paul presidency; well, there'd be tax cuts for sure, and less foreign entanglements probably.  But any sort of domestic issue he'd be all like "lol Constitution" and veto whatever he didn't like.
yar

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7775 on: February 21, 2010, 10:44:38 PM »
A Ron Paul presidency would involve a bunch of executive orders firing 90% of government workers because he thinks their functions are unconstitutional, followed by a crisis and (successful) impeachment.

Of course, Paul's the only candidate where you'd have to imagine a very different political landscape for him to win.  Palin would need a somewhat dumber, more rightwing country, but it'd still be recognizable as the US, whereas a President Paul fanfic would demand a lot of worldbuilding.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #7776 on: February 21, 2010, 11:56:10 PM »
The Shit Heap is easily the best thread ever in EB history. 

PROOF.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7777 on: February 22, 2010, 12:40:46 AM »
Paul would get kicked out of office one way or another. Hell, the GOP would probably send a bunch of chicks to the oval office and frame him. But no black chicks obviously

ToxicAdam

« Reply #7778 on: February 22, 2010, 01:04:52 AM »
Let's fantasize about a Lyndon Larouche presidency next ...

yawn

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7779 on: February 22, 2010, 01:06:48 AM »
Nuclear attack on Britain obviously

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7780 on: February 22, 2010, 10:18:41 AM »
Of if we want to get really out there, we could game out a Newt victory.  Wokka wokka.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #7781 on: February 22, 2010, 11:03:32 AM »
Seems like Obama is trying some crazy 11th hour plan to save health care reform.

Honestly, while it's not gonna give us the best possible plan, the easiest thing to do at this point is have the House pass the Senate bill and do as much as you can to fix that in reconciliation.  Introducing a completely new plan smacks of insanity at this point, cause you're not gonna get one Republican to vote for it in the Senate.
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #7782 on: February 22, 2010, 11:18:05 AM »
Mandark's not really good at writing his little fan-fics, is he?  Impeachments require a charge.

yar

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7783 on: February 22, 2010, 11:31:44 AM »
Yeah, Congress totally wouldn't draw up impeachment papers when the president started wholly disregarding the laws they passed.  I remember when Andrew Johnson did that, and they all chipped in to buy him a new fruit basket.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #7784 on: February 22, 2010, 11:47:12 AM »
lol @ JD defending Clinton's impeachment...any pretense of him being just another socially disfunctional distinguished mentally-challenged fellow attempting to dress up in "inherent principles" keeps melting away
___

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #7785 on: February 22, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »
lying about a blowjob = impeachable offense
bringing the govt. to a standstill = heroic act of altruism
yar

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7786 on: February 22, 2010, 11:56:31 AM »
The best thing about the Clinton impeachment is that the question which he lied in response to (about his relationship with Lewinsky) was retroactively disallowed, since it was irrelevant.  Using a civil trial to draw out information about a politician's consensual sex life isn't my idea of the proper use of a court.

Then again, I don't have JD's magickal Ouija Board which lets him read the intents of the Founding Fathers (among which is that Washington DC shouldn't have any residential areas!).

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7787 on: February 22, 2010, 11:56:41 AM »
Seems like Obama is trying some crazy 11th hour plan to save health care reform.

Honestly, while it's not gonna give us the best possible plan, the easiest thing to do at this point is have the House pass the Senate bill and do as much as you can to fix that in reconciliation.  Introducing a completely new plan smacks of insanity at this point, cause you're not gonna get one Republican to vote for it in the Senate.

Everything Obama is proposing can be done through reconciliation though. On one hand he's showing his plan to the GOP, daring them to oppose it. On the other hand he has the reconciliation side car ready to go, with the threat of a public option; that letter has 20 signees so far and is gaining steam, and I could totally see Obama saying "dudes if you filibuster my harmless bill, a public option will pass. You see what happens, you see what happens?" to them.

But if not one republican would come forward to support the senate bill in the past to, oh I don't know, demand malpractice reform in exchange for a cloture vote, why would any republicans come forward and take any deal from Obama now?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7788 on: February 22, 2010, 12:09:51 PM »
Limiting rate increases is a very good bit of opportunistic politics, in light of the recent hikes and the publicity they got (due in large part to the administration releasing a report about them).

But I think there's been a lot more planning and co-ordination on passing a bill since the Brown election than people think, just like there has been through the whole process.  Senate bill with a reconciliation fix has always been the only plausible path forward as well as Pelosi's preference.  For whatever reasons she hasn't had the votes for it, and you can be sure that at this point she and the WH know who's holding out and what they're holding out for.

So whatever plan the administration unveils is likely geared towards winning over whatever progressives and Blue Dogs are still balking.

PS Half my insights these days being stolen from Jonathan Bernstein.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7789 on: February 22, 2010, 12:22:20 PM »
Obama's plan/proposal scraps the national exchange, giving republicans the state exchanges they want (but with regulation). Meh. But once republicans reject this, the senate should be able to put a national exchange in the reconciliation bill.

proposal is here:
http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/documents/2010/02/the-white-house-health-care-plan.php?page=1&ref=fpblg

Green Shinobi

« Reply #7790 on: February 22, 2010, 01:15:42 PM »
Why are there so many hardcore/distinguished mentally-challenged Republican posters at Politico? It makes no sense.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7791 on: February 22, 2010, 01:34:38 PM »
Citizens detached from reality tend to flock together

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7792 on: February 22, 2010, 01:35:30 PM »
Wait, are you reading the comments section at Politico?

What are the odds a site that popular dealing with politics is going to have good user comments?  It's probably like a slightly more literate version of Youtube in that regard.

Oblivion

« Reply #7793 on: February 22, 2010, 02:26:03 PM »
I dunno exactly how much of a Bush apologist Jaydubya is, but does he think that lying to the American people in order to start a war with another country is something that would have had Madison's seal of approval?

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #7794 on: February 22, 2010, 02:29:03 PM »
I dunno exactly how much of a Bush apologist Jaydubya is, but does he think that lying to the American people in order to start a war with another country is something that would have had Madison's seal of approval?

Barking up the wrong tree here, JD didn't want the Iraq war I'm pretty sure.
yar

Mandark

• Icon
In before "under oath!"
« Reply #7795 on: February 22, 2010, 02:35:20 PM »

JD wasn't strongly anti-war until the Ron Paul campaign.  Up to that point his take was that the Hussein regime's behavior coulda been considered grounds for casus belli, if it really was pursuing WMD in violation of international agreements it had signed.  Plus he argued against drastic cuts in the military budget when I pointed out that our current stockpile of nukes were a good enough deterrent on their own.

He's an OG libertarian, unlike FoC, but he is a dove-come-lately.

Oblivion

« Reply #7796 on: February 22, 2010, 02:39:47 PM »

Yeah, I knew he didn't support every stupid right wing policy, just most of them.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #7797 on: February 22, 2010, 06:10:38 PM »
Downing Street what now?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7798 on: February 22, 2010, 06:12:26 PM »
bubububu clinton, democrats

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #7799 on: February 22, 2010, 06:43:26 PM »
bubububu clinton's penis, democrats

fixt lol
yar