Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1870748 times)

Cheebo

Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #14100 on: September 23, 2011, 03:59:19 PM »
Except Romney has no backbone at all. He makes the wishy-washy Obama look tough by comparison.

Romney will crack to the TeaParty crackpots in Congress at every single opportunity.

You won't be "eh Romney won't be so bad" when he signs every insane whim of the GOP in Congress into law because he no viewpoints of his own. Can you really see him standing up to them? They will walk all over him.

Romeny would be tolerable with a Dem controlled congress like when he was governer of MA but he'll have a GOP house and senate if he wins, ones ruled by the Tea Party.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 04:05:11 PM by Cheebo »
₩‰\

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #14101 on: September 23, 2011, 04:24:38 PM »
Some asshole last night tried to argue with me that the health care bill in 2009 or 10 was never actually presented to congress.

I...what.
püp

drew

• sy
« Reply #14102 on: September 23, 2011, 04:31:38 PM »
they should be worried about the war we're in that never got congressional approval

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #14103 on: September 23, 2011, 05:01:31 PM »
I like how TARP is somehow magically Obama's, even though it was passed in 2008 before he was elected, much less sworn in.  Pretty soon 9/11 will be his fault somehow too.

Well someone is to blame ???
___

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #14104 on: September 23, 2011, 05:22:12 PM »
they should be worried about the war we're in that never got congressional approval

dur hur drew coming in the thread spouting the same moronic shit again
püp

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #14105 on: September 23, 2011, 05:34:43 PM »
LIBYA = VIETNAM DON'T YOU GUYS SEEEEEEEE
yar

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #14107 on: September 23, 2011, 06:14:26 PM »

The war that the US has had almost no hand in after the first couple weeks?

That war?
MMA

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #14108 on: September 23, 2011, 06:23:03 PM »
I like how TARP is somehow magically Obama's, even though it was passed in 2008 before he was elected, much less sworn in.  Pretty soon 9/11 will be his fault somehow too.
They've already changed the article :lol

I talked to someone the other day who assured me that the bailout and the stimulus were voted for at the same time.

The fact that they know TARP and the stimulus are two different things probably puts them above the 50th percentile in terms of political awareness.  Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!

Phoenix Dark

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14110 on: September 23, 2011, 10:56:34 PM »
oh shit

Walker Spokesman Given Immunity In Investigation -- Has No Comment

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker's (R) spokesman, plus two supporters, have now been granted immunity in the ongoing campaign finance investigation of former aides to Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R), from Walker's time as Milwaukee County Executive.
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/09/walker_spokesman_given_immunity_in_investigation_-.php?ref=fpblg
details at the link

hmmm

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #14111 on: September 23, 2011, 11:37:37 PM »
http://gwynnedyer.com/2011/libya-is-force-an-instrument-of-love/

It was the decision by France and Britain to commit their air forces to the defence of the rebels in eastern Libya that saved them from being overrun by Gaddafy’s forces in the early days of the revolt. Other Western countries sent combat aircraft to join them (although the United States drew back after the first few days), and Gaddafy’s army was stopped just short of Benghazi.

lol, drew
MMA

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #14112 on: September 24, 2011, 12:12:58 AM »
ILLEGAL ACT OF WAR

DEPOSE THIS TYRANT
yar

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #14113 on: September 24, 2011, 12:30:30 AM »
Wait, what do you think "drew back" means there, Boogie?

USA: Okay, we dropped a bunch of bombs.  'tis all yours now, Europe!  Have fun for the next six months!
MMA

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #14114 on: September 24, 2011, 12:39:28 AM »
Well, that's definitely not the case.  Do you need me to post links or do you got this?

Naw, go nuts if I'm wrong.  I admit I've taken it somewhat for granted based on what I had read that Europe took point for the majority of the operation after the first few weeks.
MMA

drew

• sy
« Reply #14115 on: September 24, 2011, 11:15:12 AM »

believe me it looks the same way from where i'm sitting :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 11:17:34 AM by drew »

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #14116 on: September 24, 2011, 11:20:06 AM »

believe me it looks the same way from where i'm sitting :)

aww, you changed it.

Was the Kosovo air strike campaign in '99 a "war"?

Was lobbing a few cruise missiles at Sudan and Afghanistan following the 98 embassy bombings a "war"?

Was enforcing the No-fly zone over Iraq from 1991 to 2003 a "war"?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 11:21:39 AM by Boogie »
MMA

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #14117 on: September 24, 2011, 11:24:12 AM »
http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/23/a-look-at-politifact-grades-of-candidates/

Bachmann :rofl

It's pretty fucked up that any of our candidates and/or elected officials blatantly lie. Like, I feel everyone just says "oh well, that's what politicians do." Why is it basically just accepted?

because:

[youtube=560,345]RuqFkbLkST4[/youtube]
MMA

drew

• sy
« Reply #14118 on: September 24, 2011, 11:36:27 AM »
and then the little speech that followed was full of logical fallacies

Drew, believe me when I say this.  No one is going to touch intervention in Libya because it would take one of the most important Supreme Court cases in decades to figure it all out, which might call in question the legality of the war powers act etc.  It's a non-starter.

i know, i know, it's just frustrating because it's so fucked up and nobody seems to care

aww, you changed it.

:D

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #14119 on: September 24, 2011, 11:44:46 AM »
I think libs are just as frustrated that Cheney is running around...at all- what an asshole.
o_0

Phoenix Dark

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #14121 on: September 24, 2011, 10:41:09 PM »
That's awesome, because the only person in that field who might really be dumber than Perry and Bachmann is in fact Herman Cain. 
yar

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #14122 on: September 24, 2011, 10:47:32 PM »
That's awesome, because the only person in that field who might really be dumber than Perry and Bachmann is in fact Herman Cain. 

no it's not, because the people dumber than perry/bachmann/cain are THE AMERICAN VOTING PUBLIC :'(
duc

MrAngryFace

« Reply #14123 on: September 25, 2011, 01:34:04 PM »

no it's not, because the people dumber than perry/bachmann/cain are THE AMERICAN VOTING PUBLIC :'(
o_0

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #14124 on: September 26, 2011, 08:33:54 AM »
It is truly a great point. Native americans have had it so easy.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #14125 on: September 26, 2011, 11:57:54 AM »
i don't see a problem with this ???
duc

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #14126 on: September 26, 2011, 12:16:28 PM »
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]
Tonya

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #14127 on: September 26, 2011, 12:42:07 PM »
I suppose it would be gauche to point out that the racist Ron Paul newsletters and his supporters' complete lack of concern about them might be just a tiny bit relevant to this?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14128 on: September 26, 2011, 12:45:25 PM »
technically shouldn't the good ole' boy network warrant at least a $1 discount for white males? :smug

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #14129 on: September 26, 2011, 01:14:57 PM »
I wonder if the racial ordering on that sign was picked at random, or whether they were trying to get across a particular message.  I guess we'll never know!

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #14130 on: September 26, 2011, 01:15:52 PM »
 :lol :lol

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #14131 on: September 26, 2011, 01:18:15 PM »
of course they'd list white people first since whitey can actually pay
duc

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #14132 on: September 26, 2011, 01:26:31 PM »
The best outcome woulda been if a bunch of black students just took the pastries and dared them to enforce property rights without a central authority supported by taxation.  Then the college Republicans would have been left stammering about miniarchism and night watchman functions while their strudels and danishes were redistributed to the swarthy proletariat.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #14133 on: September 26, 2011, 01:42:26 PM »
There is no discount. All pastries are the same price. What the minorities and women don't pay, the government subsidizes. The republicans just do this to cause division while laughing all the way to the bank.
©ZH

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14136 on: September 26, 2011, 04:52:22 PM »
David Frum is like my third or fourth favorite Jew  :-[

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #14137 on: September 26, 2011, 05:18:40 PM »

Whatever, despite all his "today's gop is intellectually bankrupt" crap he still jerks off to the Bush tax cuts and thinks taxing the job creators more will destroy society or something.
yar

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #14138 on: September 26, 2011, 05:22:53 PM »

smfh

that dude lives and breathes douche.  yeah he criticizes current repubs, but that's because he wants them to be more like 90's & early 00's repubs :-X
pcp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14139 on: September 26, 2011, 06:44:37 PM »
and he's quite the hardcore pro-Israel type, but I love me some articulate republicans  :-[

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #14140 on: September 26, 2011, 08:30:06 PM »
and he's quite the hardcore pro-Israel type, but I love me some articulate republicans  :-[

That's like saying Obama speaks well or some shit.  It's pointless and kind of insulting.
yar

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #14141 on: September 26, 2011, 08:33:45 PM »

That's like saying Obama speaks well or some shit.  It's pointless and kind of insulting.

NO WAI

triumph just got maur-iced!
duc

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14142 on: September 26, 2011, 08:34:42 PM »
 :lol smh triumph

anyhoo, republicans back down from hostage taking once everyone realizes they have no hostage
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/09/senate-averts-government-shutdown-threat-funds-fema.php?ref=fpblg

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14145 on: September 27, 2011, 09:26:34 PM »
Insurance is one of the biggest scams ever perpetrated against the American public.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 09:59:50 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14146 on: September 27, 2011, 09:44:58 PM »
Insurance companies are jacking prices before the healthcare bill goes into effect - not surprising. Although obviously some of the raise is due to children being added to their parents insurance; Kaiser just released a study showing it had a 1-2% impact on costs.

Also it looks like the SC will decide on the health care law next year. Should be fun!

MrAngryFace

o_0

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14148 on: September 28, 2011, 12:40:33 AM »
ACORN

drew

• sy
« Reply #14149 on: September 28, 2011, 12:52:56 AM »
itt obama try's to act black in front of black audience

[youtube=560,345]HeoOg3Fj0G0[/youtube]

MrAngryFace

« Reply #14150 on: September 28, 2011, 01:13:06 AM »
As a whole the speech was well recieved but he did seem to get off script a little there. I think if anything it made people kind of confused- there is a bit of truth to the idea that democrats can easily be the instruments of their own defeat as they are critical w/consequences, whereas the conservative base will be critical and just make you go away for a while, then you'll come back and write a book.
o_0

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14151 on: September 28, 2011, 01:15:23 AM »
What does "act black" mean?

That wasn't even the most fiery part of the speech.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14152 on: September 28, 2011, 01:17:50 AM »
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 01:21:08 AM by Great Rumbler »
dog

MrAngryFace

« Reply #14153 on: September 28, 2011, 01:19:36 AM »

That wasn't even the most fiery part of the speech.

It's when people do 'that neck thing' ;)
o_0

drew

• sy
« Reply #14154 on: September 28, 2011, 01:24:54 AM »

the conscience decision to drop the g's at the end of words

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14155 on: September 28, 2011, 01:25:44 AM »
So you mean a Southern drawl, which transcends race. fuckouttahere

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14156 on: September 28, 2011, 01:28:24 AM »

the conscience decision to drop the g's at the end of words

Wait...that means I act black every day. :wtf
dog

drew

• sy
« Reply #14157 on: September 28, 2011, 01:38:07 AM »
so you're saying that the president, who did not live in an area of southern dialect in his formative years, speaking to a crowd that lacks any sort of regional binding to it's description or of it's members, spoke in a southern drawl for a bit in a way to connect with the audience.  gee maybe, just maybe there's another group of people apart from southerners who tend to drop their g's (not to mention the waist of their pants!)  a group which is far more likely given the situation.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 01:53:48 AM by drew »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14158 on: September 28, 2011, 01:54:09 AM »
so you're saying that the president, who did not live in an area of southern dialect in his formative years, speaking to a crowd that lacks any sort of regional binding to it's description or of it's members, spoke in a southern drawl for a bit in a way to connect with the audience.  gee maybe, just maybe there's another group of people apart from southerners who tend to drop their g's (not to mention the waist of their pants!)  a group which is far more likely given the situation.

A large portion of the CBC are from southern states. Furthermore the southern drawl within the black community is not restricted by region since many black people have roots/family in the south regardless of where they live - go to any black church and you'll hear it. Not surprisingly, when Obama speaks to largely black audiences he utilizes the speech patterns of a black preacher. As does Bill Clinton and some other democrats who do it effectively.

Guess what, changing tone based on audience isn't a black exclusive thing. Many groups in America speak differently amongst each other.

drew

• sy
« Reply #14159 on: September 28, 2011, 01:54:46 AM »
A large portion of the CBC are from southern states. Furthermore the southern drawl within the black community is not restricted by region since many black people have roots/family in the south regardless of where they live - go to any black church and you'll hear it. Not surprisingly, when Obama speaks to largely black audiences he utilizes the speech patterns of a black preacher. As does Bill Clinton and some other democrats who do it effectively.

Guess what, changing tone based on audience isn't a black exclusive thing. Many groups in America speak differently amongst each other.

as it turns out, some lady named Karen Hunter seems to think that there's something inherently racist with the correct transcribing of that speech:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/associated-press-transcription-obama-cbc-speech-racist-173438340.html

inherently racist? well then that must mean that dropped g's are inherently tied to stereotypical black dialect.  if not, then Mrs. Karen Hunter herself must be a racist for suggesting such a thing! below is a sultry photo of the woman in question.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 02:01:47 AM by drew »