Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1830831 times)

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Re: so, Obama is president
« Reply #900 on: February 06, 2009, 10:16:30 PM »
You're just unbelievable.
püp

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #901 on: February 06, 2009, 10:16:56 PM »
I don't know anything about the auto mfgs but my company sent a few servicemen and linemen to work on that ice storm.  They get such benefits like double time, $54 per meal (if they don't spend it all, they can just pocket it), and man, after finding out some of their yearly incomes, I thought about switching professions.  Some higher end union labor employees can make $150,000/yr
🍆🍆

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #902 on: February 06, 2009, 10:18:50 PM »
Come on man, it's apples and oranges here ... You're talking about companies that have to pay for R&D, marketing, lawyers, and countless other hidden expenses from governmental regulations that these "make up" jobs don't even have to incur.

I was also being generous with crediting this plan for "saving" or creating 3 million jobs .. since it's not a number that will be 100% certifiable anyways ... nor do we truly know the final cost of this as gross  government overruns are the standard course for all of this kind of stuff. This plan could end up 20-30 percent more than they are currently stating today.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #903 on: February 06, 2009, 10:22:49 PM »
Thanks to infrastructure improvement, businesses are going to have to eat a lot of money moving underground cables, piping, etc. to any new right-of-ways.  That or pass the costs onto consumers, whatever businesses can get away with.

Unless that is Obama's plan: to stimulate the economy by creating new contractor firms to be able to do all this stuff
🍆🍆

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #904 on: February 06, 2009, 10:26:06 PM »
Come on man, it's apples and oranges here ... You're talking about companies that have to pay for R&D, marketing, lawyers, and countless other hidden expenses from governmental regulations that these "make up" jobs don't even have to incur.

why don't they have to incur them?  as far as I can see, there's no reason a job shouldn't have the same expenses associated with it whether it's being done in the private or public sector.  obviously, things like marketing carry a somewhat different meaning, but they're still there in some sense.

anyway, my point was just that dividing numbers by other numbers isn't necessarily going to yield meaningful results.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 10:33:34 PM by recursivelyenumerable »
QED

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #905 on: February 06, 2009, 10:59:49 PM »
You're talking about companies that have to pay for R&D, marketing, lawyers, and countless other hidden expenses

Which should account for more than half that cost. I'm pretty sure he was just trying to prove a comparable average. It's definately eye opening considering the average.
©ZH

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #906 on: February 06, 2009, 11:22:56 PM »
I'm pretty sure he was just trying to prove a comparable average.

mostly I was just trying to "prove" that costs / # jobs = misleading
QED

Beardo

« Reply #907 on: February 07, 2009, 12:32:16 AM »
Only the American government could figure out how to make each job saved/created cost 250,000 dollars.

well, looking at the wikipedia entry for Ford for example, their costs per employee per 3 years appear to be 175.178B / 245k * 3 = $2.14 million / job.
Microsoft = 42.74B / 89,809 * 3 = $1.43M/job

but carry on

But if ford fails the american people dont foot the bill...

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #908 on: February 07, 2009, 12:39:04 AM »
mmkay
QED

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #909 on: February 07, 2009, 01:38:44 AM »
bububut COPS!

and EDUCATIONATORS!

Thank gawd for them especially. They were the only sector (besides healthcare) to add jobs. At that rate we'll be out of this thing in no time - like 30 years maybe. Hell, why don't we all become teachers? Y'all down? I hear the pensions are great (if you plan on retiring in the next 3 months before they all implode).

Yes We Can!

Lordy lordy, butthurt past the point of coherence.  Not that he had terribly far to go.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Before you accuse everyone else of being a crybaby for pointing at you and laughing, sd, understand that's as subtle and effective a reversal as Synbios executing a judo throw.
[close]

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
Re: You weren't around to see what happened to FoC, were you?
« Reply #910 on: February 07, 2009, 01:50:47 AM »
Every private job has a salary paid for by money taken away from customers.

But only because the customer can afford it. And never through force or threats (like taxes).

If Republicans can advocate letting the rich keep more of their money as a way of creating wealth when pretty much most evidence shows that they just sock it away somewhere, then by gawd I can advocate taking that money and using it to employ people instead.

What you are saying is that it is okay to take money from the people who create it and give it to people need it. Redistribution of wealth here we come.

Um actually you were talking about giving it to people who provide services to society and PROTECT FREEDOMMMMM overseas.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #911 on: February 07, 2009, 01:51:19 AM »
To be fair, as someone with several belts in Judo, I don't think that's even possible.
PSP

Mandark

• Icon
Shhhhhh! That's the point! Stop giving away my punchlines!
« Reply #912 on: February 07, 2009, 02:00:17 AM »
You know, I thought there was an understanding.  In light of the crash, nobody would make blanket statements about the superiority and efficiency of private markets.

No way that stuff can pass the laugh test any more, if it ever did.

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #913 on: February 07, 2009, 02:17:09 AM »
so did the $15k/home subsidy get in?  and who's responsible?  and what forms of torture is he likely to be especially sensitive to?
QED

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #914 on: February 07, 2009, 02:31:31 AM »
They need 60.  With Franken and Ted Kennedy out, they have 57, assuming all the dems go for it.
serge

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #915 on: February 07, 2009, 02:57:36 AM »
If this fails I will flip more than the time the first bailout bill failed.
püp

Mandark

• Icon
The Mossad is no joke, son.
« Reply #916 on: February 07, 2009, 03:58:34 AM »
so did the $15k/home subsidy get in?  and who's responsible?  and what forms of torture is he likely to be especially sensitive to?

Probably; industry lobbies via the GOP and blue dogs; under the fingernails is a really sensitive spot.

When did they stop making Senators actually filibuster when they block cloture?  Used to be considered a somewhat extraordinary tactic but now it's just a given that something needs 60 votes to pass the Senate.

Oh, and have any of the centrist group explained the actual logic behind the cuts they're demanding?  The preliminary list I saw looked dumb.

TVC15

« Reply #917 on: February 07, 2009, 04:02:34 AM »
This seems as good a place to ask as any. Is Mandark actually a member of Mossad, or was that a joke?

Yep.  And I'm a member of Propaganda Due.
serge

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #918 on: February 07, 2009, 04:13:10 AM »
This seems as good a place to ask as any. Is Mandark actually a member of Mossad, or was that a joke?

Actually he's a janitor at Oral Roberts

TVC15

« Reply #919 on: February 07, 2009, 04:17:09 AM »
Man, I can't imagine the torment Oral Roberts went through in elementary and high school due to his name.   I guess he's kinda the one person with which you could have Oral sex without using your mouth.
serge

Mandark

• Icon
Oral Roberts vs. Ball State
« Reply #920 on: February 07, 2009, 04:18:51 AM »
I'm actually director of the Bohemian Grove.

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #921 on: February 07, 2009, 04:57:11 AM »
i'm really, really, really, really unhappy about this situation.
QED

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #922 on: February 07, 2009, 05:01:58 AM »
Nelson/Collins memo on stimulus cuts.

http://theplumline.whorunsgov.com/stimulus-package/latest-cuts-to-the-stim-package-head-start-child-nutrition-food-stamps-public-transit/

Total Reductions: $80 billion

Eliminations:

Head Start, Education for the Disadvantaged, School improvement, Child Nutrition, Firefighters, Transportation Security Administration, Coast Guard, Prisons, COPS Hiring, Violence Against Women, NASA, NSF, Western Area Power Administration, CDC, Food Stamps

Reductions:

Public Transit $3.4 billion, School Construction $60 billion

Increases:

Defense operations and procurement, STAG Grants, Brownfields, Additional transportation funding

What the FUCK, guys?

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #923 on: February 07, 2009, 06:06:46 AM »
i'm sort of agnostic about the whole notion of stimulus.  Keynesian economics never made much sense to me.  my main concern is that if they're going to be spending a ton of money, they spend it on things that are actually worthwhile, not on further propping up excessive house/car/highway construction, financial elites, corporate elites, etc. 
QED

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #924 on: February 07, 2009, 08:30:50 AM »
yar

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #925 on: February 07, 2009, 09:39:27 AM »
Has nobody told the Republicans that tax cuts won't stimulate the economy if none of us have jobs to pay taxes with?
PSP

Beardo

« Reply #926 on: February 07, 2009, 10:26:31 AM »
Has nobody told the Republicans that tax cuts won't stimulate the economy if none of us have jobs to pay taxes with?

So we shouldn't cut taxes because some people dont work and they need the money the most?

So instead of rewarding the people with jobs wish should punish people who work and reward those who do not. Yeah that makes sense.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #927 on: February 07, 2009, 10:42:28 AM »

So we shouldn't cut taxes because some people dont work and they need the money the most?

So instead of rewarding the people with jobs wish should punish people who work and reward those who do not. Yeah that makes sense.

Perhaps you don't understand this - but it's not "some" people, it's a lot of people.  And it's mostly lower middle class and impoverished folks, whom if their numbers continue to rise, will be unable to line the pockets of the upper middle class and wealthy.

So - duh! - it is in our best interests to get these folks jobs.
PSP

siamesedreamer

« Reply #928 on: February 07, 2009, 10:48:27 AM »
Who's butthurt? Not me.

This thing was always a done deal. I'm actually kinda pumped because it virtually ensures Obama's tenure will only be one term.

Beardo

« Reply #929 on: February 07, 2009, 10:51:24 AM »

Perhaps you don't understand this - but it's not "some" people, it's a lot of people.  And it's mostly lower middle class and impoverished folks, whom if their numbers continue to rise, will be unable to line the pockets of the upper middle class and wealthy.

Class warfare go!!!

siamesedreamer

« Reply #930 on: February 07, 2009, 11:07:52 AM »
Fannie Mae, the mortgage-finance company under U.S. government control, will loosen rules for homeowners seeking to lower their loan payments by refinancing.

Fannie Mae will drop some credit-score requirements, reduce income-documentation standards and waive the need for appraisals in some cases, according to a notice yesterday to lenders posted on the Washington-based company’s Web site. The changes apply to loans that the company owns or guarantees.

The company, which accounts for more than 40 percent of the $12 trillion in U.S. residential mortgage debt, is seeking to break a “logjam” in refinancing and allow more homeowners to take advantage of near-record low interest rates, according to Brian Faith, a Fannie Mae spokesman. The increased flexibility for consumers isn’t large enough to significantly harm mortgage- bond investors and mortgage insurers, analysts said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aTu9HA5cZgQ4&refer=home

What could go wrong?

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #931 on: February 07, 2009, 11:17:47 AM »
Who's butthurt? Not me.

This thing was always a done deal. I'm actually kinda pumped because it virtually ensures Obama's tenure will only be one term.

Not so fast, my friend!
yar

siamesedreamer

« Reply #932 on: February 07, 2009, 11:20:25 AM »
DIE!!!!!!!!!!!

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #933 on: February 07, 2009, 11:36:27 AM »
If she's your nominee, you're gonna get your asses whupped again 2008 style, at least in the Presidential.  And you know this.  Also, if the economy rebounds even slightly (and since history and logic dictates it will to some extent) it's gonna be tough for you guys.
yar

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
« Reply #934 on: February 07, 2009, 11:48:23 AM »
If she's your nominee, you're gonna get your asses whupped again 2008 style, at least in the Presidential.  And you know this.  Also, if the economy rebounds even slightly (and since history and logic dictates it will to some extent) it's gonna be tough for you guys.
Pretty much. The public rewards (and punishes) their government based on the economy regardless if they deserve it or not, and  if it improves at all then Obama has a 1996 style easy re-election waiting for him.

I honestly can't see how sd sees Obama as some sort of obvious one termer, the only way that is possible is if the economy continues to be in shambles for a whole fucking four more years, which is near impossible.

The fact the economy began to fall apart a year before he got elected and not in the middle of his first time was a miracle for him politically.

Crushed

• i am terrified by skellybones
« Reply #935 on: February 07, 2009, 11:54:59 AM »

Class warfare go!!!

wtc

siamesedreamer

« Reply #936 on: February 07, 2009, 11:59:12 AM »
I honestly think Palin will have a hard time getting past New Hampshire.

And what gives both of you any confidence the economy will be "good" by 2012?

Cheebs

« Reply #937 on: February 07, 2009, 12:02:46 PM »

The fact the economy doesn't tend to fall apart for over 4 years straight?

siamesedreamer

« Reply #938 on: February 07, 2009, 12:11:15 PM »
That's not a very good argument when the comparisons are to 1929 and 1873.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #939 on: February 07, 2009, 12:11:38 PM »

Huckabee won Iowa, lots of fundie dingbats out there.  She'll cake walk to an easy South Carolina win, that's 2 out of the first 4.  You guys are in a pretty terrible position- you have no really credible party leaders/candidates, and your ideas suck.
yar

Beardo

« Reply #940 on: February 07, 2009, 12:12:05 PM »
Palin wont be the nominee

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #941 on: February 07, 2009, 12:14:18 PM »

Probably not, but you guys don't have anyone credible to BE the nominee.  Plus the states that a Dem has won over the past 5 general elections add up to 240something electoral votes, gonna be tough for you wankers to do anything about it.
yar

Beardo

« Reply #942 on: February 07, 2009, 12:24:42 PM »

Probably not, but you guys don't have anyone credible to BE the nominee.  Plus the states that a Dem has won over the past 5 general elections add up to 240something electoral votes, gonna be tough for you wankers to do anything about it.

I really think there is gonna be something akin to a mini 1994 during the next cycle. Especially after this whole stimulus bill debacle.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #943 on: February 07, 2009, 12:25:44 PM »
peggy noonan's wsj meltdown is even etter than sd's!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123388255500354969.html
duc

Cheebs

« Reply #944 on: February 07, 2009, 12:26:10 PM »

I really think there is gonna be something akin to a mini 1994 during the next cycle. Especially after this whole stimulus bill debacle.
Yeah and 1994 didn't stop Clinton from being re-elected now did it?

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #945 on: February 07, 2009, 12:26:37 PM »
Well polling shows that Dems and Independents are siding with the Dems on this 'debacle' and that 80% of Americans expect the bailout to take over a year to show results. So when is this blowback going to happen?

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #946 on: February 07, 2009, 12:29:24 PM »
Well polling shows that Dems and Independents are siding with the Dems on this 'debacle' and that 80% of Americans expect the bailout to take over a year to show results. So when is this blowback going to happen?

After Ronald Reagan rides in on a unicorn and farts rainbows of gold at the Democrats.
yar

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #947 on: February 07, 2009, 12:31:32 PM »
there are many stages to grief, friends, and libertardians still see breath in the corpse of laissez-faire economics. we call this stage "denial". we're getting to "anger" pretty quick, though, so hey: progress!
duc

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #948 on: February 07, 2009, 12:31:39 PM »
Wow sd, only two weeks into his first term and your already convinced he's a one termer.  You're distinguished mentally-challenged.

You do know that public support is fairly high for this, right?  
püp

Beardo

« Reply #949 on: February 07, 2009, 12:31:44 PM »

Is Ross Perot coming back?

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #950 on: February 07, 2009, 12:35:55 PM »

:rofl

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #951 on: February 07, 2009, 12:38:07 PM »

Dur dur dur.

Clinton 49.2% 379 evs
Dole 40.7% 159 evs
Perot 8.4% 0 evs

I think you're thinking of maybe 92.  Either that or you're an idiot.  Or both.  Probably both.
yar

Cheebs

« Reply #952 on: February 07, 2009, 12:38:56 PM »

You are a fucking idiot.

Clinton - 49.24%
Dole - 40.71%
Perot - 8.40%

Give Dole 100% of the Perot voters (which in reality would not have happened, a lot would have not vote and a decent chunk based on polling would vote Clinton) and CLINTON STILL WINS.

Idiot.

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #953 on: February 07, 2009, 12:40:53 PM »
lol

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #954 on: February 07, 2009, 12:41:31 PM »
Even if it was 1992, the point is debatable

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #955 on: February 07, 2009, 12:42:56 PM »
There is no logic in such debate.
püp

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #956 on: February 07, 2009, 12:43:42 PM »
beardo decimated

duc

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #957 on: February 07, 2009, 12:44:17 PM »
beardo decimated

And you KNOW you're talking out of your ass if it's me and fucking CHEEBS doing the decimating.
yar

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #958 on: February 07, 2009, 12:45:28 PM »
We won't be seeing him for a page or two

Cheebs

« Reply #959 on: February 07, 2009, 12:47:02 PM »
And he can't play the "I was talking about 1992!" card either because he brought it up in the context of 1994's impact on Clinton's re-election, he is just stupid.