Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 349611 times)

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #1380 on: April 27, 2017, 02:00:55 AM »
Spergs that play modo 18 hours a day

:preach

I like to picture them as all occupying the same Jeskai monastery doing tai chi bullshit surrounded by treasure chests. :whoo

« Reply #1381 on: April 27, 2017, 06:44:36 AM »
Stop trying to remake Type 2 happen. It's not going to happen.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1382 on: April 27, 2017, 02:09:47 PM »
On a serious note, I hope that the banning methodology used in January is never used again in Type 2.

If the format is bad enough that you have to ban, just ban the fucking stupid cards like Marvel instead of trying to keep archetypes alive with neutering bans (guess what the #3 deck was on MODO? Copy Cat Marvel), and don't preemptively ban cards like Reflector--you never know what stupid combo your development team missed in the new set. Type 2 isn't Modern and that's OK.

On a design note, much has been made about the removal crisis but I think the more important lesson is that it would be wise to lay off flickering for a long time. With the way creatures are made now the mechanic generates too much value and it creates too many possibilty storms to navigate for balancing purposes. And let's be honest, flickering that doesn't last until the beginning of the end step has minimal contribution to the game as an intellectual entertainment medium.

And for the love of Urza, figure out a way to punish greedy mana bases that you can live with. The game is choking on this issue in multiple formats.

WotC has a long history of banning the enablers instead of the true offending cards, tho, soooooo...
yar

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1383 on: April 27, 2017, 02:19:46 PM »
It's funny that Saheeli Rai was supposed to the be the face of Kaladesh, but she had no story impact and everyone just forgot she existed until Copy Cat (including Wizards, lul) because Wizards has to push the Gatewatch non-stop. At least they admitted that it has become a problem, and they're gonna slow their roll in future sets.
©@©™

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1384 on: April 27, 2017, 06:53:15 PM »
WotC has a long history of banning the enablers instead of the true offending cards, tho, soooooo...

Thankfully it doesn't have to happen often in the format, but I feel like they got it right the last time (2011).

2004 and 2005 were a disaster and in line with your analysis (for all its problems Clamp was a kind of cycling on PED with a dash of Urza's block death triggers for entertainment value, Affinity had lands that produced +2 mana with no substantial trade-off).

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Urza's Type 2 was too early in the format to really analyze as a procedural failing.
[close]

This round though, it's 2004 again but with micromanagement of the metagame on top of that. That can work (Modern), but rotating formats really aren't the place for it.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 06:59:26 PM by Kara »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1385 on: April 27, 2017, 07:43:05 PM »
I feel like they have a tendency to err on the side of pushing shit for the wrong reasons (flavor! fun!) instead of interesting interactions or, you know, making a better game. Batterskull, the delve cards, and Emrakul all reek of "let's play with our shiny new toys with no regard for how this might play out!"

The Saheeli-Guardian interaction was just them being asleep at the wheel, but that's troubling anyway.

WHATEVER THO. I don't play the game anymore so I don't know why I keep up with this crap, other than wanting to hate MaRo as much as possible.

JTMS should never have been banned in any format. THAT CARD IS TOTALLY FAIR, SHUT UP.
[close]
yar

Kara

« Reply #1386 on: April 27, 2017, 09:27:05 PM »
:lol Your love of that card came to mind when I brought up that season.

If you really want to hone your Mark hate I recommend his podcast. Not only does he have an obnoxious voice but you really get a feel for how truly uncritical of himself he is.

For example, in his episode about the game Wizards makes for the Japanese market (Duel Masters?) he talks about how "creating" it really gave him an appreciation for how the mana system is handled at a resource level in Magic. Probably one of the most fundamental qualities of the game (if not the most) and at one time he felt he was beyond it. And of course he doesn't connect this sequence of events to any of his other mistakes of hubris because he's Mark fucking Rosewater.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1387 on: April 27, 2017, 09:47:12 PM »
I listened to the first 4-5 of them and rapidly came to the conclusion that I would end myself if I kept it up, so I guess we know I'm not a real nihilist.
yar

Kara

« Reply #1388 on: April 28, 2017, 05:34:21 PM »
I probably wouldn't listen to them if they weren't also strong chain hadith about Richard Garfield (the most gracious, the most merciful). e.g. I didn't know that he designed Cursed Scroll specifically to introduce bluffing to the game until it came up during a tangent in his Urza's Destiny series.

On this subject (I swear I'll stop soon), something I learned from the show is that MaRo legit hates the creature type hound (which is used instead of dog due to its association with D&D) but is always overruled by the team when he puts it up for votes (yes, plural, he cares this much about it). Well guess what happened in the Amonkhet rules update? Jackal Pup has been issued errata making it creature type jackal because now jackals are back in the game as a creature type after Hurr Jackal was made a hound so many years ago.

Kara

« Reply #1389 on: April 28, 2017, 05:37:11 PM »
This bit in the rules update was hilarious:

When we decided that the extra words in "whenever you cycle or discard" helped to point newer players to the cycling deck, we realized that some might think that these extra words got you two triggers for cycling a card and one for discarding a card in other ways. That would be crazy good. I added this rule to assure you that it's not quite that good.

Make your game more complicated from a rules perspective to placate idiotic and forgetful players, brehs.

Kara

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1391 on: April 30, 2017, 05:15:42 PM »
3cmc for a 5/5 with a drawback, wtf? Why doesn't it deal 3 damage to your opponent and make them discard a card when it ETB instead?
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1392 on: May 01, 2017, 11:38:48 AM »
So, I went to my LGS for FNM last week. I was all set to play a little Storm, bring the drizzle on some unwitting victims. I set down for my first match and my opponent plays a Canopy Vista. Okay, kinda weird, must be a budget brew. I play a Steam Vent and cast Serum Visions. My opponent is like "uhhhhh.....I'm playing Standard". I check the pairings, and yep, I accidentally got registered in the Standard event. Oh well, even though I don't play Standard much, I keep a Mono Red Aggro deck to play for funsies at FNM and Game Days. I just bought a few Soul-Scar Mages and Insult // Injury to play it in, so I asked my opponent to hang on a minute while I jammed them in there and then proceeded to go 3-1 for the evening. I lost to Mardu Vehicles, but I feasted on a couple of GW/Bant Midrange decks a U/W As Foretold Control deck.

My current decklist:

4x Soul-Scar Mage
4x Falkenrath Gorger
2x Kari Zev, Skyship Raider
4x Sin Prodder
4x Hanweir Garrison
2x Goblin Dark-Dwellers

4x Shock
4x Incendiary Flow
3x Harnessed Lightning
1x Insult // Injury

2x Chandra, Torch of Defiance

21x Mountain
2x Looming Spires
2x Hanweir Battlements

The singleton Insult // Injury was good. Sometimes it's kinda of just a win-more card, but sometimes you can score a big hit out of nowhere, and then clean up the board later for a follow-up hit. Probably gonna cut the Chandras since she sucks against Heart of Kiran, replace her with Hazoret, play the 4/3 2cmc Minotaur and the new exert Goblin Heelcutter, cut some lands, etc. I might run Lupine Prototype for maximum lulz. Lupine + Hazoret + dump your hand =  let's go boys! :lawd

After FNM was over, I did a Amonket draft. Really like the format so far, it seems fun. Lots of good synergies. Exert and Embalm are powerful, cycling is great. Cartouches are as fun to cast as they are to say. I went 3-0 with a G/W deck. I didn't get to use Cradle of the Accursed, but it seems like a great card to prevent flood. Greater Sandwurm is bae.

©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1393 on: May 01, 2017, 11:51:22 AM »
So, I went to my LGS for FNM last week. I was all set to play a little Storm, bring the drizzle on some unwitting victims. I set down for my first match and my opponent plays a Canopy Vista. Okay, kinda weird, must be a budget brew. I play a Steam Vent and cast Serum Visions. My opponent is like "uhhhhh.....I'm playing Standard". I check the pairings, and yep, I accidentally got registered in the Standard event.

:lol :lol :lol

Speaking of Standard and the good old days of Black, aside from the planeswalker card I'm liking this: http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=113153

RE: Cartouches, if you can pair them with a Trial it's p. sick. I'm finally playing a "I suck at drafts" league on MODO for triple Amonkhet and my deck has 2 Cartouches of Knowledge and a Trial of Ambition. It rules.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1394 on: May 01, 2017, 11:54:52 AM »
If there's a half-way decent red aggro deck in Standard, the best time to play it is RIGHT AFTER rotation, because people get caught up with stupid ideas and will play inefficient shit. Everyone goes through a couple weeks of "maybe I won't net-deck" until they realize they are, in fact, garbage at deck building. Nothing punishes those stupid decks better than mono red aggro.
yar

Kara

« Reply #1395 on: May 01, 2017, 08:56:57 PM »
From MaRo's latest article:

When embalm became a mechanic, we changed [Embalmer's Tools] to embalm any creature card in your graveyard. I believe that version got killed in development, as embalming any creature was much more abusable than just allowing you to embalm creatures we designed for you to embalm.

Design literally handed off a permanent, colorless, Past in Flames for creatures to development. :neogaf

Magic, as it turns out, has a lot of math in it. Richard Garfield was a math professor, after all. Interestingly, one of my jobs as a Magic designer has been trying to reduce the impact of math on the players. I'm not talking about reducing the math that can be opted into (if you want to run spreadsheets to optimize your land mix, have a great time), but rather the math required to simply play the game.

F U C K  O F F
[close]

Kara

« Reply #1396 on: May 02, 2017, 02:07:12 AM »
My current deck in league:

In my pod I got passed not one, but two Rags // Riches (everyone must've known I'm deep in the Pauper game) and that card is :noah.

Grim Strider is a solid card if you're not sitting on hella combat tricks and can hit Hellbent / heckbent fast enough. To riff on a meme I hate about everything being Time Walk (except for actual Time Walk a card no one has ever cast), it's practically a Tarmogoyf.

Merciless Javelineer + Ahn-Crop Crasher + Emberhorn Minotaur is a filthy alpha strike that's more or less unblockable with a cards in hand.

Enigma Drake is routinely a 4/4 for 3.

Embalm is for cowards, Exert is for warriors.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1397 on: May 02, 2017, 10:00:15 AM »
Hi-res images of the new set if you actually want to see the art:
http://imgur.com/a/m9YQ1

©@©™

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #1398 on: May 03, 2017, 07:36:07 AM »
New set is pretty sweet. Not sure I love the draft format. Drafting aggressive decks seems the way to go though. My favourite synergy was getting some minotaur sure shots and pathmaker initiates going in the late game. Phew. Got a few turn 5kills the other night. Also had Hazoret, Glorybringer and Archfiend of Ifnir in my deck. V gross. My first sealed deck was great too, and I did all the things LSV said not to: ran 3 inciter, 3 cartouche of zeal and a green cartouche with 16 land and beat faces splashing black for neheb, to support the bloodrage brawlers and sure shots.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 07:40:20 AM by naff »
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #1399 on: May 03, 2017, 05:47:31 PM »
bloodrage brawler looks like he's scooting along on a segway

◕‿◕

Kara

« Reply #1400 on: May 03, 2017, 06:14:06 PM »
New set is pretty sweet. Not sure I love the draft format. Drafting aggressive decks seems the way to go though.

Your room to be cute is very small, no matter what you pack around it, yeah.

In my first deck with its cute "win" conditions described itt I had a Cast Out (that I later sold for like 2 bucks because Guardian hadn't been banned yet), 3 of the crappy Pacifism, a Dusk // Dawn and some other situational removal and my deck was competitive in exactly one game (not match, game). In the last block I could get away with absolute nonsense with that kind of backup. :lol

Unrelated: Awhile back they announced one on one EDH was going to be a sanctioned format on MODO. Today they announced the banned list (which I'm not qualified to evaluate), but they also dropped the bombshell that they're going to use that banned list for actual EDH on MODO too. The Lannisters send their regards. :doge

naff

« Reply #1401 on: May 03, 2017, 06:59:49 PM »
the format is way more aggressive and strong at that end than i thought it was going to be. also, i am high picking final reward way more often in future. those goddamn gods keep turning up far too often.

giving you the ability to get qualifier points playing EDH lol. i'll have to check out this ban-list. i only just got into EDH, but i can't believe how dumb this shit will get if it's more competitive and actually helps you advance your magic "career". how many ANT decks can be built before ad naus is $100+? JVP control, temple bell x mind over matter. idk what the other hyper competitive edh builds there are. of course 5c hermit druid is banned out (i assume anyway).

edit: all the tutors will be the biggest gainers i guess. get ur academy rectors/enlightened, worldly, vampiric, demonic, mystical etc tutors now
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #1402 on: May 03, 2017, 07:43:27 PM »
ah, they're friendly leagues. no QPs involved  :-[
◕‿◕

Kara

« Reply #1403 on: May 04, 2017, 02:22:28 AM »
Brian Weissman is on this week's Kitchen Table Magic. What a blast from the past. :heart :heart :heart

https://soundcloud.com/kitchentablemagic/brian-weissman-and-the-most-powerful-deck-in-mtg-history-ep-215

Related: I didn't know he works at Grinding Gear Games; that makes a certain card mildly amusing.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1404 on: May 04, 2017, 11:52:37 PM »
mfw I fog the alpha strike and win on the crack back :hitler

That sure is a lot of nice damage you've got there, be a shame if something were to happen to it. :hitler
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1405 on: May 05, 2017, 02:29:34 AM »
Turn 10: Karakand [3 life]
Karakand casts Ahn-Crop Crasher.
Opponent [12 life] is being attacked by Ahn-Crop Crasher, Cryptic Serpent, Emberhorn Minotaur.
Karakand puts triggered ability from Emberhorn Minotaur onto the stack (Whenever Emberhorn Minotaur attacks and exerts, it gets +1/+1 and gains menace until end of turn.).
Karakand puts triggered ability from Ahn-Crop Crasher onto the stack (Whenever Ahn-Crop Crasher attacks and exerts, target creature can't block this turn.)
Opponent concedes the game.

Kara

« Reply #1406 on: May 05, 2017, 02:37:48 AM »
BTW, I have really warmed to Menace. (I used to dislike it on ideological grounds as it's the current incarnation of Fear which is too flavorful confusing for babies or something.)

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1407 on: May 08, 2017, 02:55:18 PM »
mfw when my opponent resolves a T4 Ulamog  :trumps

Time to sideboard in Kari Zev's Expertise + Fling against Temur Aetherworks.  :rollsafe
©@©™

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1408 on: May 09, 2017, 03:18:28 AM »
Yo dudes.

I've been smashing Standard pretty hard at my LGS with my own version of RW humans. Recently made top 4 at a PPTQ and won a 22 person Standard Showdown on Sunday.

I've typed up a deck-tech here: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rw-humanoids/

There's lots of armchair pros in comment sections saying human decks "have to" run Metallic Mimic and Glory-Bound Initiate. I believe they can suck my balls. Both get smoked by Walking Ballista so easy and fuck paying 2 mana for that shit. The Mardu match-up is fun as hell, their board gets outclassed real quick and its hysterical when they fiddle around with their mana cards to resurrect a 3/2 that cant block, and then have to waste Unlicensed Disintegration on your one drops. This list is getting pretty tuned and I do think it's competitive. Haven't tested against Marvel decks or other aggro however
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 03:26:33 AM by The Sceneman »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
yar

naff

« Reply #1410 on: May 11, 2017, 08:03:45 PM »
i dont play on modo anymore, but i like the idea of those gauntlets. i did a few gauntlets from the last ever modern PT and got Jeskai Control 3 times in a row :doge  :'( not a bad deck, just matched up very poorly next to the Eldrazi Menace of which there were multiple copies.... worst gauntlet ever.

i have a couple marvel ists in the works for std atm.

temur aetherworks
4 Aether Hub
4 Botanical Sanctum
2 Cinder Glade
1 Evolving Wilds
4 Forest
2 Island
2 Lumbering Falls
1 Mountain
2 Spirebluff Canal

4 Aetherworks Marvel

4 Attune with Aether
1 Baral's Expertise
1 Bounty of the Luxa

3 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
1 Nissa, Vital Force

4 Harnessed Lightning
1 Sweltering Suns

4 Rogue Refiner
4 Servant of the Conduit
4 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
3 Whirler Virtuoso

4 Woodweaver's Puzzleknot

Sideboard:
1 Bounty of the Luxa
1 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
2 Dispel
2 Glimmer of Genius
2 Magma Spray
1 Manglehorn
2 Negate
1 Prowling Serpopard
3 Tireless Tracker

sultai aetherworks
4 Aether Hub
4 Blooming Marsh
4 Botanical Sanctum
2 Evolving Wilds
3 Forest
1 Island
2 Swamp
4 Aetherworks Marvel
4 Attune with Aether
1 Bounty of the Luxa
1 Demon of Dark Schemes
4 Fatal Push
2 Ishkanah, Grafwidow
3 Liliana, Death's Majesty
4 Rogue Refiner
4 Servant of the Conduit
1 Tireless Tracker
1 Traverse the Ulvenwald
3 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
4 Vessel of Nascency
4 Woodweaver's Puzzleknot

Sideboard:
1 Bounty of the Luxa
1 Bristling Hydra
2 Dispel
2 Dispossess
2 Negate
2 Shielded Aether Thief
2 Tireless Tracker
2 Transgress the Mind
1 World Breaker

played a fairly stock gb constrictor midrange list last weekend. it was OK, 2-2, beat Mardu and UW control, lost to nRG fling whatever and boros exert. both seem like average decks, my deck was also v average, i've updated to a more controlling delirium list, but also working on super low to the ground gb constrictor BUG energy which can compete with the new (best deck in the format possibly) zombies deck.
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #1411 on: May 11, 2017, 08:11:42 PM »
oh yeah, i have a massive boner for Chandra, Torch of Defiance atm. I haven't been playing standard, or red, for a while. But i'm back and oh my, i'm happy to finally be using my copies.

You are my hedron archive, my flame slash, the abbot to my keral keep.  :-*  :heartbeat :uguu
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1412 on: May 11, 2017, 11:17:19 PM »
Drafted a Simic Control deck tonight that used Essence Scatter, Cancel, Haze of Pollen, and Galestrike to stay alive long enough to resolve a Sandwurm Convergence.

I had Cryptic Serpent and Scaled Behemoth as backup win-cons and Bounty of the Luxa, Gift of Paradise, Naga Vitalist, and Weaver of Currents to help ramp into my threats.
©@©™

naff

« Reply #1413 on: May 14, 2017, 08:17:06 PM »
bounty is great, so pretty. went undefeated yesterday with temur aetherworks....
drew twice :doge
[close]

zombies and temur marvel tore up the PT. was predicting zombies to be 1st or 2nd in meta share on day 1, just lost out on that (3rd), but it did end up winning with Gerry Thompson. dude looks like he never stopped raging to linkin park.
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #1414 on: May 14, 2017, 08:21:28 PM »
my first iteration of temur marvel ran two bounty, and three chandra tod main. got the turn 5 hardcast ulamog a couple times: turn 2 servant, t3 bounty, turn 4 chandra, turn 5 ulamog.

with everyone boarding dispossess and lost legacy, along with the anguished unmakings and the plethora of decent permission floating around, ive shaved the ramp and turned it into a control/combo list like all the japanese players at the PT.
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1415 on: May 14, 2017, 09:05:11 PM »
My friend loves Black and he's marking out over Zombehs winning the PT.  :mynicca
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1416 on: May 17, 2017, 05:11:37 AM »
Combo winter, brehs

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-online/throwback-standard-gauntlet-2-combo-winter-urza-block-2017-05-04

:lawd

This starts today.

Not sure how I feel about it, TBH. Obviously I'm going to play and I'm looking forward to (possibly) being assigned a deck with multiple copies of Yawgmoth's Win, but the fact that we're mixing Tempest-Urza's decks with Urza's-Masques doesn't sit well with me. It's not possible to replicate a season that was sundered by bannings, but this amalgamation doesn't resemble any point of either season and that sort of defeats the whole purpose of the product; there's already too much mythology about this era.

Related: Thinking about what was good in Mirage-Tempest and Tempest-Urza's (i.e. the same Tempest cards), I think they should have started the gauntlet on 2 ends of a timeline and worked towards a midpoint instead of proceeding in a linear fashion.

I better not get freaking Tinker. I never want to play that deck again.
[close]

Kara

« Reply #1417 on: May 17, 2017, 05:29:28 AM »
Pro Tour Amonkhet ruled, BTW.

1. A monocolor tribal aggro deck with strengths and weaknesses stemming from its single color choice (and lords, and enchantments that are lords 8)) beat out a deck that used a silly mechanic to cheat out Timmy Eldrazi shit to win it all. And, unlike Pro Tour Theros (which also ruled), it wasn't nearly as dependent on a planeswalker as Monoblue Devotion was then.
2. Christian Calcano went BibleThump in his interview after the Swiss on day 2 because he finally made a Pro Tour Top 8, then scrubbed the hell out in his quarterfinal match.
3. Chris Fennell demanded to talk to the head judge after being assessed a slow play warning and subsequently got owned by the head judge. He also scrubbed the hell out in his Top 8 quarterfinal match despite being the 1 seed.
4. Martin Juza-m Djinn cast an 11/4 Enigma Drake.
5. "When's Marvel on?" all up in Twitch chat all day.

Plus this:

You're next, MaRo. :bolo
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 05:44:58 AM by Kara »

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1418 on: May 17, 2017, 05:42:01 AM »
Highlight of the Pro Tour for me was Calcano going 3-0 in a draft with a deck running 6 Slither Blade. Holy shit. I'm also happy only 2 people were playing RW Humans. Means I'm still a rogue deck pilot which I'm pretty into.

I haven't tested against Zombies yet but my deck can probably get through it pretty good. My biggest challenge is trying to beat BG energy. I just need to cross my fingers I rip Dusk to Dawn (which I board in) early and blow them out. Same plan for zombies really. Gonna do some heavy duty testing this Friday for Game Day. I neeeeeeeed to win a ho ass playmat

Kara

« Reply #1419 on: May 17, 2017, 01:02:26 PM »
Drafts at pro tour events get loopy since everyone has to play with bad cards; I heard about Bloodlust Inciter way too much last weekend.

idk if R/W Humans could qualify as a rogue deck at this point in Shadows of Innistrad block's existence, but GLHF this weekend. :)

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1420 on: May 17, 2017, 01:07:40 PM »
Combo winter, brehs

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-online/throwback-standard-gauntlet-2-combo-winter-urza-block-2017-05-04

:lawd

This starts today.

Not sure how I feel about it, TBH. Obviously I'm going to play and I'm looking forward to (possibly) being assigned a deck with multiple copies of Yawgmoth's Win, but the fact that we're mixing Tempest-Urza's decks with Urza's-Masques doesn't sit well with me. It's not possible to replicate a season that was sundered by bannings, but this amalgamation doesn't resemble any point of either season and that sort of defeats the whole purpose of the product; there's already too much mythology about this era.

Related: Thinking about what was good in Mirage-Tempest and Tempest-Urza's (i.e. the same Tempest cards), I think they should have started the gauntlet on 2 ends of a timeline and worked towards a midpoint instead of proceeding in a linear fashion.

I better not get freaking Tinker. I never want to play that deck again.
[close]

I will keep playing until I get the Academy deck. SO BROKEN. So broken.
yar

Kara

« Reply #1421 on: May 17, 2017, 01:09:23 PM »
I'm in queue right now. Only 4 more players have to join until I can open my deck. :hyper

e: I got Accelerated Blue. Time to play Morphling for the first time without combat damage using the stack. :noah
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 01:18:13 PM by Kara »

Kara

« Reply #1422 on: May 18, 2017, 12:33:14 AM »
About to dive in... but seriously, why the hell are there 2x Submerge in my sideboard? :doge There's one deck with Forests in it and decks are allotted in a random manner. :doge :doge

e: I do appreciate that they gave period specific printings of all the cards this time though. Playing with Ball Lightning in its modern frame was scust.

Kara

« Reply #1423 on: May 18, 2017, 01:26:14 AM »
:drudge NOSTALGIA SHITPOST :drudge

I drew... Jar in my first match. #FairAndBalanced

Game 1:

Karakand chooses to play first.
Karakand skips his draw step.
Karakand plays Island.
Turn 1: Opponent.
Opponent plays City of Brass.
Opponent casts Lotus Petal.
Opponent casts Mana Vault.
Opponent casts Lotus Petal.
Opponent puts triggered ability from City of Brass onto the stack (Whenever City of Brass becomes tapped, it deals 1 damage to you.).
Opponent casts Tinker.
Opponent activates an ability of Memory Jar (Each player exiles all cards from his or her hand face down and draws seven cards. At the beginning...).
Karakand draws seven cards with Memory Jar's ability.
Opponent draws seven cards with Memory Jar's ability.
Opponent casts Dark Ritual.
Opponent casts Memory Jar.
Opponent activates an ability of Memory Jar (Each player exiles all cards from his or her hand face down and draws seven cards. At the beginning...).
Karakand draws seven cards with Memory Jar's ability.
Opponent draws seven cards with Memory Jar's ability.
Opponent puts triggered ability from Memory Jar onto the stack (At the beginning of the next end step, each player discards his or her hand and returns to his or...).
Opponent puts triggered ability from Memory Jar onto the stack (At the beginning of the next end step, each player discards his or her hand and returns to his or...).
Karakand discards Rishadan Port, Island, Annul, Powder Keg, Grim Monolith, Island, Palinchron.
Opponent discards Swamp, Yawgmoth's Will, Yawgmoth's Will, City of Traitors, City of Brass, Tinker, Ancient Tomb, Megrim, Ancient Tomb.
Karakand discards Rishadan Port, Treachery, Grim Monolith, Treachery, Island, Counterspell.
Turn 2: Karakand.
Karakand plays Rishadan Port.
[close]

(For the next 2 turns I kept my opponent locked down on mana with Port while they lost life thanks to City of Brass and the penalty for leaving Mana Vaults tapped. #Value.)

Turn 5: Karakand.
Karakand plays Dust Bowl.
Karakand casts Powder Keg.
Turn 5: Opponent. [Cards in play: City of Brass, Underground River, Underground River, Mana Vault, Mana Vault.]
Opponent plays City of Traitors.
Opponent casts Yawgmoth's Will.
Karakand casts Counterspell targeting Yawgmoth's Will.
Opponent has conceded the game.
[close]

One day it will all be over, and everyone will forget that this was the moment. This is when it turned. And it wasn't the mighty fleet, it wasn't a fancy new weapon. It was an instant named Counterspell, who captured a Jar.

Game 2:

My opponent (on the play) went Swamp, Dark Ritual, Necropotence, then drew 19 cards (but didn't keep a necessary land), fizzled on turn 2 and conceded. :whew

[close]

REAL MAGIC :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice

Kara

« Reply #1424 on: May 19, 2017, 02:33:20 AM »
The final Amonkhet story went up this week. This actually happened in it.

WHY WAS FLING NOT A STORY SPOTLIGHT CARD

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1425 on: May 25, 2017, 01:46:08 PM »

GOAT card. :lawd
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1426 on: January 14, 2018, 04:55:03 PM »

:usacry
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1427 on: January 15, 2018, 11:27:58 AM »
Attune with Aether is banned.
Rogue Refiner is banned.
Rampaging Ferocidon is banned.
Ramunap Ruins is banned.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1428 on: January 15, 2018, 11:48:35 AM »
I bought some Un-stable packs to support Wizards. Though I haven't really touched the game in a year or so. :doge I'm playing Fantasy Flight stuff like Legend of the Five Rings right now.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1429 on: January 15, 2018, 12:47:59 PM »
Burn is a confirmed 9+ on the Storm Scale. Ban Lightning Strike next, just to be sure.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1430 on: January 16, 2018, 12:42:07 AM »
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 12:55:21 AM by Kara »

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1431 on: January 16, 2018, 12:59:48 AM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1432 on: January 16, 2018, 10:11:16 AM »
At least nothing was banned in the Eternal formats, I've given up caring about Standard. Might play some Skred this weekend.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1433 on: January 17, 2018, 12:08:20 AM »

naff

« Reply #1434 on: January 17, 2018, 12:55:56 AM »
Fuck, I haven't played standard in yonks. I just get drunk and play commander with dorks sometimes  now.
◕‿◕

Kara

« Reply #1435 on: January 17, 2018, 03:32:39 AM »
Just 0-2 dropped my first Chris RIX draft. My #brand of picking great removal and going winless was preserved. This time I had Red-Green dinosaurs with:

2x Pounce
1x Mutiny
1x Reckless Rage
1x Bombard
1x Fanatical Firebrand

:'(

In my final game I threw back a 5 land hand because it had nothing to do until turn 4. Unfortunately I don't have the heart of the cards and my next 6 was a 2 lander with 2 Mountains followed by a couple of turns of drawing no additional lands.

Because my opponent was on Green-White dinos I had sideboarded in Hijack. (They could go much bigger than my deck could.) On turn 3 they played Atzocan Seer with no dinosaurs in their graveyard. On my next turn I have to discard so I throw a Thrash of Raptors in the yard and metaphorically knock the top of my deck. On my following turn I draw another Mountain (!!!) and cast Hijack on the Seer, attack with it, then sacrifice it to return the Thrash to my hand. 8)

Then my opponent put me on their next turn.
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1436 on: January 20, 2018, 12:23:55 AM »
I pulled a Kara and drafted removal tribal in my first RIX draft. :lawd

Except I went 3-0. :P

I played against Dinosaurs, Fish, and Pirates. Nice little tribal synergy you've got going there. It's be a shame if all the relevant pieces of it were destroyed and then I just beat you down with a 2/1 conditional flier.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1437 on: January 20, 2018, 08:54:09 PM »

#RESIST
©@©™

naff

« Reply #1438 on: January 20, 2018, 09:49:10 PM »
◕‿◕

Kara

« Reply #1439 on: January 21, 2018, 10:15:09 PM »
I pulled a Kara and drafted removal tribal in my first RIX draft. :lawd

(Image removed from quote.)

Except I went 3-0. :P

Some of us aren't Fate Reforged Game Day champions, OK. :goty2

Grats. :D
[close]