Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 347546 times)

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #1440 on: January 21, 2018, 10:28:52 PM »
Ever since Sensei's Divining Top got banned a dull, uninteresting Deathrite Shaman deck (redundant -ed.) called Czech Pile has been a strong presence in the meta. Canadian Threshold was already killed by that fun, balanced, and well-designed card so you might be thinking that the greatest deck ever is even more dead than it already was. Well Czech Pile is a 4 color mess of pure greed, so actually there's a Deathrite Shaman deck out there that's gets rolled by a deck that relies on Threshold / Delve to win games.

What I'm trying to say is: WE BACK BABY. :lawd

R U G B O Y S

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1441 on: January 22, 2018, 01:11:40 AM »
Kara do you also get triggered when people call RUG Temur or is that just me?
yar

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1442 on: January 22, 2018, 01:56:21 AM »
I don't like it, but I understand that newer players are so scrupulously inculcated by Wizards with the color combination branding that they don't even stop and consider that Temur Energy plays nothing like what the Wedge of Temur is supposed to represent.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I also seethe when Junk is called Abzan. >:(
[close]

Kara

« Reply #1443 on: January 26, 2018, 03:45:18 AM »
Sometimes I feel like I'm a caricature of myself.

For example, in my last draft I went:

Pick 1: Ravenous Chupacabra
Pick 2: Waterknot
Pick 3: Moment of Craving

Pick 4: Voracious Vampire
Pick 5: Impale

:doge
[close]

Then promptly proceeded to 0-2 to an opponent that flipped Legion's Landing twice before turn 5 and one that simply had better vampire cards than me that weren't overpriced Kjeldoran Outposts. (Champion of Dusk for 7? I liked this better when Griselbrand was doing it.)

BUT INSTEAD OF DROPPING I stuck it out for my final round. And for my perseverance I was rewarded with Vampiric Tutoring to win with a vampire. 8)

BTW, the correct number of Legion Conquistadores to play is 4+.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1444 on: January 29, 2018, 02:13:11 PM »
At draft last week, I discovered that this is a real Magic card.

©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1445 on: February 02, 2018, 02:51:31 AM »
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/legacy-u-45071

Teferi's Realm, Defense Grid, Meditate?

Spiral Tide is back baby. We fucking did it. 8)
[close]

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1446 on: February 06, 2018, 05:42:50 PM »

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #1447 on: February 06, 2018, 07:38:48 PM »
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/legacy-u-45071

Teferi's Realm, Defense Grid, Meditate?

(Image removed from quote.)

Spiral Tide is back baby. We fucking did it. 8)
[close]

pretty cool. i dont understand why the win cons are only accessible with wish from the sb tho.
◕‿◕

Kara

« Reply #1448 on: February 12, 2018, 11:36:12 AM »
Announcement Date: February 12, 2018

Modern:

Jace, the Mind Sculptor is unbanned.
Bloodbraid Elf is unbanned.

We've been closely monitoring the evolution of the format over the last several years and chosen this as the best time to make a change. This is the right time for several reasons:

[redacted]

4. The reprint of Jace in Masters 25 will provide greater availability for our player base.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1449 on: February 12, 2018, 11:46:07 AM »
Wizards like

:nope Ramunap Ruins

:ohyeah Jace, the Mind Sculptor
©@©™

thisismyusername

« Reply #1450 on: February 13, 2018, 01:15:06 AM »
Gee Wizards, why did you unban [Jace, the Mind Sculpter]?

BECAUSE FUCK YOU GIVE US MONEY!

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #1451 on: February 13, 2018, 01:23:18 AM »
If anyone has any Goblin Lore, congrats, your $0.20 piece of crap is now $14

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1452 on: February 13, 2018, 01:31:48 AM »
From working in the secondary market I can confirm that their evil ploy has worked. For all their talk of maximizing their value blah blah blah Magic players have the fiscal discipline of virginal Navy recruits on shore leave in Bangkok.
yar

naff

« Reply #1453 on: February 13, 2018, 02:45:15 AM »
Can attest. I saw some MP JTMS in stock for 130 usd and nearly bit earlier lmao... "if i cash out some eth i can justify buying these magic cards"  :doge

◕‿◕

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1454 on: February 13, 2018, 10:06:19 AM »
On MTGO, people started buying out all the various printings of JTMS as soon as it got spoiled for M25. The WWK version was going for about $11 at the beginning of the month, jumped to almost $60 now.
yar

Kara

« Reply #1455 on: February 13, 2018, 12:37:54 PM »
For various reasons I started playing Modern in paper last year* and oh boy am I sure stoked to play against perma-PPTQ tier dorks fumbling around with Brainstorm effects and fetchlands like a fish out of water round after round.

Luckily for everyone there's already a banning precedent in Modern for cards having a deleterious effect on game speed. Surely a company with the integrity of Wizards of the Coast would not exempt their children's mascot from such a policy. :teehee

*Taking bad Type 1.5 decks, putting incomprehensibly worse cards in them, and having them magically become tier 1.5 decks is a weird experience.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1456 on: February 13, 2018, 01:04:19 PM »
Tbh tho I don't think Jace will warp the Modern metagame. Sure, slow it down as people durdle with making brainstorm decisions, it's not gonna break it. Unbanning Rite of Flame and/or Seething Song or all of the artifact lands would lead to a new dominant deck in the format but JTMS? Nah.
yar

naff

« Reply #1457 on: February 13, 2018, 02:52:28 PM »
It depends on your definition of warping the format. Control and U midrange (non U midrange is dead at the tournament level imo) being tier 1 is a pretty huge shift, and will totally warp the meta.
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #1458 on: February 13, 2018, 02:55:16 PM »
It's possible bbe Jund gets better, but my initial impression is it gets crushed by jace.
◕‿◕

Kara

« Reply #1459 on: February 13, 2018, 11:30:20 PM »
I hope you're right Triumph, but I don't think that you are.

On the plus side, maybe some knucklehead will develop a Modern playable RUG shell that uses Bloodbraid Elf to cast Savage Knuckleblade for free. :lawd #FreeRUG

naff

« Reply #1460 on: February 15, 2018, 04:23:40 PM »
I hadn't even thought about savage knuckleblade. I have almost put together a bbe, eternal command deck to play this weekend.

Need a couple more Ancestral Visions tho.

https://deckbox.org/sets/1923650
◕‿◕

Kara

« Reply #1461 on: February 17, 2018, 02:49:47 PM »
Are there Eternal Command decks that don't use Aether Vials? (I'm not super familiar with the archetype, though I do want to try this deck.)

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1462 on: February 17, 2018, 06:01:44 PM »
My friend invited me to FNM and told me he built a jank deck that I had to play. It was U/W Gideon Control (aka U/W Control with ALL THE GIDEONS (okay, not Champion of Justice because that card is just unspeakably bad)).  It's a silly deck, but I actually did pretty okay with it. I went 2-1 and made a Tron player get super salty so pretty successful night I'd say.

Mainboard 4x Spreading Seas :patel
©@©™

naff

« Reply #1463 on: February 17, 2018, 11:23:08 PM »
Are there Eternal Command decks that don't use Aether Vials? (I'm not super familiar with the archetype, though I do want to try this deck.)

I wasn't actually familiar with the archetype when brewing that, but a friend pointed out it was an Eternal Command deck. Looking into it, I havent seen an actual Eternal Command deck w/o Vials. Ima give this a crack though.

Kinda like the new approach to listing a selection of  modo 5-0s. Better than 5 random lists. RIP modo meta analysis tho.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/improving-our-approach-magic-online-data-2018-02-12

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/competitive-modern-constructed-league-2018-02-16
◕‿◕

thisismyusername

naff

« Reply #1465 on: March 19, 2018, 07:15:44 PM »
Tbh tho I don't think Jace will warp the Modern metagame. Sure, slow it down as people durdle with making brainstorm decisions, it's not gonna break it. Unbanning Rite of Flame and/or Seething Song or all of the artifact lands would lead to a new dominant deck in the format but JTMS? Nah.

Seems you were bang on, 8 distinct archetypes at GP Phoenix, 2 running 2 JtMS, 2 running BBE (RG Drazi, Jund). There was an oddly large amount of KCI on camera over the day. All LGSs sold out of KCI  :lol Running a fair amount of disruption, stony silence and a 1-of Eidolon in my board.

Was cool to see Knightfall place, my main is almost exactly the same as Kudva's, even have the 1-of worship in the side... Haven't seen anyone place well with a deck tryna jam both combos, but it has been doing well for me locally.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gppho18/tournament-results
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #1466 on: March 19, 2018, 07:27:42 PM »
JtMS also had a very poor showing at the recent SCG event (apparently. didn't watch, or pay much attention). Assuming "poor" means fine, but not oppressive. A really good 4 drop in a sea of decks that can kill you on turn 3. Non-u mid doing well on the back of piles of generic hand disruption being especially good in such a diverse meta. I really thought UBx midrange would usurp Jund but it is looking like, at least currently, the more proactive 4 drop is winning out.
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1467 on: April 30, 2018, 01:51:37 PM »
So DOM is out and Wizards is handing out more Arena beta keys. Anyone flipping cardboard (virtual or otherwise)?

I've been playing Arena to get my Standard fix, and then playing Modern in paper.

Here's my "real" deck:

https://deckstats.net/decks/67424/979839-mono-white-death-taxes

And here's my trollface le meme deck (I stole the decklist from a guy that actually finished #2 at an IQ with it):

https://deckstats.net/decks/67424/979825-r-w-stuffy-doll

Haven't got a chance to play Stuffy Doll yet, but I'm going to this weekend.  :D
©@©™

thisismyusername

« Reply #1468 on: April 30, 2018, 07:06:39 PM »
I've tried Arena, but the "new player" experience is very deep-end of the pool currently. If I was able to get my sea legs back with other pre-constructed in Matchmaking, I'd play it more.

naff

« Reply #1469 on: April 30, 2018, 07:42:13 PM »
Really? The interface simplifies mtg quite a lot. Just grind a dino stompy deck. Barely requires you do anything except sequence properly and smash face.

Been working on a teshar combo deck for standard. My first draft from a few weeks back, looking to try a jeskai or just boros version too. Problem being i really need the black sac outlet in Defiant Salvager alongside Ravenous Intruder for consistency. Getting together with some players for proxy testing this weekend anyway. Expecting something similar to be the spice at this weekends SCG standard event. Can't imagine it will be great, but Teshar is fucking awesome, and this does allow for fair chance at a turn 4 kill http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/teshars-standard-crew/
◕‿◕

thisismyusername

« Reply #1470 on: April 30, 2018, 08:29:41 PM »
I'm talking decks, not UI. Matchmaking puts you against obvious T1 decks while you own basically no cards. :doge

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1471 on: April 30, 2018, 09:14:23 PM »
I'm talking decks, not UI. Matchmaking puts you against obvious T1 decks while you own basically no cards. :doge

Obligatory "play Eternal" post

http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=45452.msg2388108#msg2388108

To keep it on topic, Dominaria is a pretty well made set from what I can tell.
yar

thisismyusername

« Reply #1472 on: May 01, 2018, 12:13:43 AM »
Oh, I do, occasionally. It's that, Gwent, or Shadowverse if it isn't Fantasy Flights LCG's for me.

archnemesis

« Reply #1473 on: May 01, 2018, 02:25:54 AM »
I used all my Arena wildcards to make a pretty nifty white weenie deck. I can tap my way past most defenders and the WW1 Knight saga is a great finisher. Thankfully my opponents can’t sideboard in any sweepers.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1474 on: May 05, 2018, 05:15:57 AM »
Why the fuck do everyone but me have a Beta key :stahp

archnemesis

« Reply #1475 on: May 05, 2018, 12:54:51 PM »
Draft mode is really fun, even if it is just an AI simulation at this point. My first attempt wasn’t very successful (2-3). I had no prior experience with the Hour of Devestation expansion and I ended up with a mostly black deck with poor synergy.

I really look forward to drafting Dominaria in a few days.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1476 on: May 05, 2018, 03:08:05 PM »
A local shop is trying to start up Paper Pauper, so I put together Affinity. Playing an Affinity deck that actually has cards with the Affinity mechanic. :lawd
©@©™

archnemesis

« Reply #1477 on: May 12, 2018, 09:43:32 AM »
My second draft went a lot better. 7-2 with a UB deck. Phyrexian Scriptures, Rite of Belzenlok, Urguros, and Djinn of the Lamp were the MVPs.

The best part was reevaluating the commons. Some cards worked a lot better than I expected, and vice versa.

Raist

« Reply #1478 on: May 12, 2018, 01:02:23 PM »
Still no key. Fuck this noise. Imma go play Shandalar :lawd

thisismyusername

« Reply #1479 on: May 12, 2018, 01:26:24 PM »

1) Did you sign-up early?
2) Did you play Magic Arena and log-in to Wizards.com to tie it?
3) Did you/do you have a DCI number to put in?

Any of these would get you in early.

Also if you complained like... 3-4 weeks ago when I got a spare key since I signed up with 2 e-mails, I'd have given you the spare. But I gave it out on 4chan instead. :doge

Raist

« Reply #1480 on: May 12, 2018, 02:08:06 PM »

1) Like, 3 month ago or something.
2) How would I play without a key...? Unless you mean Duels? If so, no.
3) lol no.

Also if you complained like... 3-4 weeks ago when I got a spare key since I signed up with 2 e-mails, I'd have given you the spare.

http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=30371.msg2411686#msg2411686

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #32385 on: 09 April 2018, 22:33:19 »

:bolo

But I gave it out on 4chan

Modsplsban
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 02:13:27 PM by Raist »

archnemesis

« Reply #1481 on: May 12, 2018, 02:56:39 PM »
I didn't sign up early so I guess I got in because of my fondness of the Duels games.

thisismyusername

« Reply #1482 on: May 12, 2018, 05:41:06 PM »

1) Like, 3 month ago or something.
2) How would I play without a key...? Unless you mean Duels? If so, no.
3) lol no.

Also if you complained like... 3-4 weeks ago when I got a spare key since I signed up with 2 e-mails, I'd have given you the spare.

http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=30371.msg2411686#msg2411686

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #32385 on: 09 April 2018, 22:33:19 »

:bolo

But I gave it out on 4chan

Modsplsban

Yeah, I meant Duels. It was one of the Early Access things.

Since you didn't apply early, that explains why. You literally had to sign up in like May or October last year as soon as the site opened to get the keys around this time.

naff

« Reply #1483 on: May 14, 2018, 06:20:26 PM »
Sheeeit, i've got lyk, 20 tokens with access keys on 'em at home. Will post after work.

Not sure if these tokens were only available at the pre-release, or if you can purchase any DOM pack and get one.... Haven't bought any DOM boosters. Fuck standard.
◕‿◕

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1484 on: May 14, 2018, 09:35:08 PM »
Sheeeit, i've got lyk, 20 tokens with access keys on 'em at home. Will post after work.

Not sure if these tokens were only available at the pre-release, or if you can purchase any DOM pack and get one.... Haven't bought any DOM boosters. Fuck standard.

hmu bruh
yar

archnemesis

« Reply #1485 on: May 15, 2018, 03:42:13 AM »
I got a second 7-2 draft victory last night with a UW evasion deck. I’m also doing pretty well in constructed with a mono black deck. Knowing that all my progress will be wiped is liberating and it’s making me experiment more with new deck ideas.

naff

« Reply #1486 on: May 18, 2018, 07:15:08 AM »
 forgot i said id post those codes

in case y'all still lookin

8ju-95a8-fsj
n6c-efs9-78a
p94-mo3q-1ug
5uo-h6oo-t95
juy-1pg3-s9z
s5k-j9rk-438
are-8hd9-tcj
yrb-fmtk-74m
qq5-srad-6qs
xf8-anrr-8e3
caj-zwt3-8cu
6pr-1b35-kz5
[close]

p sure they're all active  :P
◕‿◕

Raist

« Reply #1487 on: May 18, 2018, 07:54:08 AM »
Are these actual beta keys? Or redeemable cards or whatevs?

Raist

« Reply #1488 on: May 18, 2018, 08:14:50 AM »
Holy fuck, they are. I grabbed the second to last one.

Mods pls, mod naff. And ban timu.

thisismyusername

« Reply #1489 on: May 18, 2018, 10:24:30 AM »

8ju-95a8-fsj
n6c-efs9-78a
p94-mo3q-1ug
5uo-h6oo-t95
juy-1pg3-s9z
s5k-j9rk-438
are-8hd9-tcj
yrb-fmtk-74m
qq5-srad-6qs
xf8-anrr-8e3
caj-zwt3-8cu
6pr-1b35-kz5
[close]

I'm guessing you live in New Zealand where they're doing that "plz play Arena :(" thing in boosters?

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1490 on: May 18, 2018, 01:39:23 PM »
All gone now, sadly
yar

naff

« Reply #1491 on: May 18, 2018, 05:59:56 PM »

8ju-95a8-fsj
n6c-efs9-78a
p94-mo3q-1ug
5uo-h6oo-t95
juy-1pg3-s9z
s5k-j9rk-438
are-8hd9-tcj
yrb-fmtk-74m
qq5-srad-6qs
xf8-anrr-8e3
caj-zwt3-8cu
6pr-1b35-kz5
[close]

I'm guessing you live in New Zealand where they're doing that "plz play Arena :(" thing in boosters?

yeah
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #1492 on: May 18, 2018, 06:00:11 PM »
All gone now, sadly

:o pm'd just repost what u dont use
◕‿◕

Raist

« Reply #1493 on: May 19, 2018, 04:15:45 PM »
I don't get why this thing doesn't have a friend list to allow for friendly matches. Seems like the most basic of shit.

Kara

« Reply #1494 on: May 22, 2018, 11:17:52 PM »
Some days I come home from work and my brain feels like I took a drill to it but I still want to play Magic because I'm a degenerate. Arena removes sideboarding, having to worry about mulliganing*, and remembering all the steps and phases in a turn**... basically anything that requires the part of my brain that I annihilated for money hours before. It's Magic methadone and I think that's beautiful.

There's also some novelty to playing a constructed format that's sort of Type 2 but really not. Hour of Devastation was a playable card in the meta!

*If you run 22 or 26 lands it is exceedingly unlikely you will get mana screwed because of the way the game is programmed.
**Big ups to the Gideon's Reproach reprint in Dominaria making have to remember that creatures are still attacking and blocking in the end of combat step.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1495 on: May 22, 2018, 11:56:32 PM »
Arena is great, but progression as f2p is slooooooooow in the current economy. I suppose I need to save up and draft.

I lucked out and got two mythic wildcards in my initial opening of packs so I crafted two Hazorets. I've got a mostly functional RDW (minus the Ramunap Ruins and some other weird shit like not having enough uncommon wild cards to make everything I want/need) and it's been mostly good when it doesn't draw worth shit. Is it really worth dropping down to 22 lands?
yar

Kara

« Reply #1496 on: May 23, 2018, 12:23:44 AM »
Long answer: https://mtgarena.community.gl/forums/threads/11044

Short answer: Yes.

I play B/W Vampires (Champion of Dusk is a Yawgmoth's Bargain that swings for 4) and I've never gone below 26 lands. RNG on MODO punishes me all the time and I've had to mulligan maybe twice over 50-60 matches.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 12:29:15 AM by Kara »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1497 on: May 23, 2018, 12:25:19 AM »
I like b/w vamps and if I keep fucking around with the game enough that's probably what I'll sink resources into next.
yar

Kara

« Reply #1498 on: May 23, 2018, 12:35:25 AM »
Speaking of B/W and Gideon's Reproach, I fired up a Dominaria draft tonight and had the opportunity to draft Gideon's Reproach with my first 3 picks in pack 1 so naturally I did.

The bad cards (Compass, Wanderer, Yargle) are there for the incidental historic triggers. In one game I had a board with both Trappers and Paladins and dropped that Compass to win. :aah

Kara

« Reply #1499 on: May 23, 2018, 12:48:06 AM »
I like b/w vamps and if I keep fucking around with the game enough that's probably what I'll sink resources into next.

It's still good but playing against post-Dominaria B/W knights is rough and that's a popular deck in the trench. Knight of Malice can't be dealt with profitably; I had to start running copies of Cast Down to make it a competitive match up.