Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 349030 times)

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #1680 on: July 31, 2018, 01:47:16 AM »
It's almost like maybe they should just make good cards instead of worrying about how cards fit into the "story" and whether they're on theme or not.  :idont

I don't think they could release sets like Core Set 2019 all the time but it's really refreshing to have a space again that isn't suffocated by story-driven design, cards with more text than Wikipedia articles, and mechanics that have to be learned so you can play with 5 to 15 cards for a draft / Type 2 season that you'll never touch again after.

Speaking of suffocating design, in Mark's article this week he wrote that they flat out won't print tribal lords if the tribe can't support an EDH deck. :doge

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1681 on: July 31, 2018, 01:49:09 AM »
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-r-b-vengevine

After Walking Ballista rotates out I think I'm going to play this deck. It's so sweet when it goes off. :lawd

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #1682 on: July 31, 2018, 01:58:27 AM »
4x Rustwing Falcon
3x Oakenform
1x Knight's Pledge
1x Marauder's Axe

Draft software is too easy

Kara

« Reply #1683 on: July 31, 2018, 03:44:19 AM »
In this draft I tried to force red / white but there was so much red removal that I got pushed out of red early in pack 1 by the AI so I switched over to black and towards the end of pack 2 I picked up a late Ghastbark Twins (:doge). Then I opened pack 3 and there was a Vivien Reid so I snatched it and forced green for the rest of the pack to end up with a Junk deck (it even has 2 Vampire Sovereigns for that Siege Rhino #aesthetic!) that is literally junk. I've never had to struggle for playables like this outside of sealed. :lol

Luckily for me Vivien Reid is yet another planeswalker card that grants free wins. :mueller

spoiler (click to show/hide)
In case you think I'm going soft on my #brand, this deck has a Luminous Bonds, a Take Vengeance, a Strangling Spore, a Nightmare's Thirst, a Lich's Caress, and a MURDER. 8)
[close]

Kara

« Reply #1684 on: July 31, 2018, 12:34:56 PM »
OMFG CHAOS DRAFTS ARE COMING TO MODO :gddr5

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1685 on: July 31, 2018, 12:57:21 PM »
o shit, time to remember what my MODO login information is! :hyper
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1686 on: July 31, 2018, 08:12:05 PM »

oh no baby, what is you doing?  :doge
©@©™

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #1687 on: July 31, 2018, 10:59:17 PM »
love it Joe. you're doing god's work.
◕‿◕

Kara

« Reply #1688 on: July 31, 2018, 11:22:21 PM »
You can't play 2 copies of Submerged Boneyard in your Yidris deck, Joe, but it is still a draft build of the deck.

Kara

« Reply #1689 on: August 01, 2018, 03:34:28 AM »
Joe, if you have beef with all the copies of Duress you see in limited then I have beef with all of the copies of Fountain of Renewal I'm seeing. It's not nearly as bad a card but the cases where it's legitimately powerful are very rare and usually involve decks that only have green or red removal but no fatties and can't deal with the turn 2 Ajani's Pridemate that gets thicc or an army of Regal Bloodlord bat tokens. If you absolutely have to have a card like this in your deck Vampire Neonate is so much better because it can actually block 1 and 2 drops.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1690 on: August 01, 2018, 11:18:29 PM »
B/R Vengevine is catching on in the MSMM (Mainstream Magic Media), Kara. I'm glad I heard it here first from one of the top Magic thinkfluencers. :rejoice

http://www.starcitygames.com/articles/37519_A-Guide-To-BR-Vengevine.html
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1691 on: August 02, 2018, 12:00:41 AM »
Used Frilled Sea Serpent to deal exactly lethal, while at 1 hp with 0 cards left in my library (playing against Millstone).  8)
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1692 on: August 02, 2018, 03:22:16 AM »
I got rekt so bad, brehs. :mjcry

My opponent was on blue / black / white control but never played anything white which should have alerted me to something but it didn't register. I was on blue / black control and had the game mostly under control until this sequence happened.

Before running out a Demon of Catastrophes I cast Mind Rot when my opponent had 3 cards in hand; they had used Cancel to counter a creature spell so I figured I'd try to bait out another. My opponent goes in the tank for awhile and then discards 2 cards that aren't counters. I have a Salvager of Secrets in hand so to be mana efficient I cast it targeting the Mind Rot.

My opponent draws a card and doesn't play anything. This also should have alerted me to something being wrong but again it didn't register.

Excitedly I windmill slam Mind Rot on my turn with the expectation of clearing out my opponent's hand and casting an ez Demon of Catastrophes. Then my opponent flashes in Chromium, the Mutable. :mindblown

With Mind Rot still on the stack my opponent discards their other card in hand to activate Chromium, the Mutable's hexproof ability. I have an Essence Scatter in hand instead of a Strangling Spores or Nightmare's Thirst. All I can do is cast a puny Demon of Catastrophes and pass the turn back.

When you give offense to heaven, to whom can you pray? :goty2

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1693 on: August 02, 2018, 09:10:58 AM »
Chromium is the most unbeatable cards in this set. Unless you're palming Murder + Nightmare's Thirst or equivalent, you're about to get taken to Poundtown.  :'(
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1694 on: August 02, 2018, 09:16:53 PM »
I've totally forgotten how to draft Dominaria, I'm just looking at these cards like "what are these? which of these are even good?" After going 1-3 with some B/W Meh Stuff, I activated my troll powers and built this Mono U deck around Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive where all my creatures are 1/1, 1/3, or 2/1's. :lol If I don't find Tetsuko or if she dies, then I'm just dead I guess, but so far so good after my first match.  :teehee

©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1695 on: August 02, 2018, 09:30:45 PM »

gg
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1696 on: August 03, 2018, 12:35:16 AM »
I see a Divest in the graveyard!!!!! :lol

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1697 on: August 03, 2018, 01:54:51 AM »
It's back to Dominaria again?

FFS, Ixalan hasn't been on draft for like ever.

Kara

« Reply #1698 on: August 03, 2018, 02:08:08 AM »
Tired: Turn one Thoughtseize.
Wired: Turn one Divest.

Trolling in a game where you can't chat. :lawd
[close]

Kara

« Reply #1699 on: August 03, 2018, 02:11:25 AM »
It's back to Dominaria again?

FFS, Ixalan hasn't been on draft for like ever.

Triple Ixalan is one of the most hated draft formats in the last 5+ years; I doubt they're going to have it in heavy rotation.

Being able to draft blue / green Merfolk. :lawd
[close]

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1700 on: August 06, 2018, 01:14:03 PM »
©ZH

Kara

« Reply #1701 on: August 09, 2018, 05:10:09 AM »
Think I'm done with Arena for awhile. I tried to cast a kicked copy of Fight with Fire targeting 8 creatures (with 10 total toughness) and the game not only made it impossible for me to tell what I was targeting but it automatically assigned the damage in an inefficient manner so I didn't kill all of the targets despite that being the efficient allocation of the damage. MACHINE LEARNING

MODO might be a glacial piece of software, but it can at least handle assigning numbers to multiple targets. :doge

I did get to play a nonsense 4 color deck with 3 copies of Navigator's Compass though. My opponent had the saddest Chainer's Torment I've ever seen. :lol

Kara

« Reply #1702 on: August 09, 2018, 07:24:02 PM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1703 on: August 09, 2018, 08:53:30 PM »
There was some grumbling when it was first revealed, even though it was widely thought to be unplayable in Standard. The grumbling got quite a bit louder after a couple of pros tried to break it at the PT last weekend and it's spiked up to almost half the price of a box. :lol
©@©™

Raist

« Reply #1704 on: August 10, 2018, 04:07:39 AM »
Singleton is back :rejoice

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1705 on: August 10, 2018, 09:35:43 AM »
U/W control probably gonna get BETTER after rotation when most of the good aggro shit rotates, GOOD JORB WOTC
yar

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #1706 on: August 10, 2018, 03:55:03 PM »
Once you start going infinite with gems in competitive draft, Arena gets pretty stale.

Kara

« Reply #1707 on: August 11, 2018, 02:13:52 PM »
There was some grumbling when it was first revealed, even though it was widely thought to be unplayable in Standard. The grumbling got quite a bit louder after a couple of pros tried to break it at the PT last weekend and it's spiked up to almost half the price of a box. :lol

The card created this weird situation where (for once) testing on Arena was better than testing on MODO because getting a copy of it on Arena is as easy as burning a mythic wild card whereas on MODO it's only available in treasure chests and speculation has been ridiculous. If Wizards had any history of showing foresight one might think that was evidence of MODO being doomed, but it's really just because they're still bumbling their way through selling a product after 20 years. :doge

Kara

« Reply #1708 on: August 11, 2018, 02:15:13 PM »
Actually casting the lone copy of Compelling Argument on your opponent in your bad blue / red spells deck that's only there to delve up Cryptic Serpent when their Approach of the Second Sun is fourth from the top after being cast once already. :lawd

Kara

« Reply #1709 on: August 11, 2018, 02:35:49 PM »

:lol Skip to 1:10:40.

The punt at the end of that game... been there my dude. :fbm
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 02:40:36 PM by Kara »

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #1710 on: August 11, 2018, 07:15:25 PM »

Kara

« Reply #1711 on: August 12, 2018, 03:34:37 AM »
Extremely cold take: Gideon of the Trials is :yuck ::)

Tonight I cast him on 2 life with a Seraph of the Suns on defense and ticked him up to an absurd number waiting for my opponent to assemble an impressive air force to get him off the board and nullify the emblem. When they were finally able to alpha strike and kill him I just cracked back for lethal with that same Seraph of the Suns by casting 2 copies of Supernatural Stamina on it. (Stamina is another card you have to wonder if anyone ever played with before releasing it to the public.)

Kara

« Reply #1712 on: August 12, 2018, 04:33:25 PM »
Went 7-1 with this dumb thing. (Only taking a loss to a sweet Liliana, Death's Majesty deck.)

The meta for Amonkhet draft on Arena is really weird and not at all like it was when it was on MODO. I don't think I had a single game end before turn 6. :doge

Kara

« Reply #1713 on: August 13, 2018, 12:16:34 PM »
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1267317

Blue / red Prison finished second in the Modern Challenge this weekend. :lawd

It was a Modern MOCS weekend. :larry
[close]

Kara

« Reply #1714 on: August 14, 2018, 02:18:12 AM »
There's a Pauper Gauntlet on MODO this week and I thought it would be on #brand of me to participate. I was given Inside Out Combo by RNGesus which is a deck that swings for lethal in 1 attack using Tireless Tribe, Inside Out, and Shadow Rift after loading up a hand with Gush, Brainstorm, et cetera.

:snob

I can't believe I've never played this dumb deck before even though I more or less own it in paper. It has: (1) an Odyssey block discard outlet that lets me relive my old PTQ grinder days, (2) Shadow the GOAT creature mechanic, (3) every blue cantrip ever, and (4) Brainstorm shuffling to keep my Type 1.5 game sharp in the unlikely event that I ever return to that format.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1715 on: August 14, 2018, 10:41:28 AM »
I should get into Pauper. I put together Affinity in paper when a local store was trying to start a weekly Pauper event, but they never could get it off the ground.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1716 on: August 15, 2018, 01:22:52 AM »
Pauper Affinity is a cool / fun deck that you're going to lose to mana screw and Gorilla Shaman a lot while playing with, but losing to very specific sideboard cards is part of the Pauper's retro "charm." At least Gorilla Shaman is a real card, unlike Standard Bearer. :'(

Ghitu Lavarunner (a.k.a. Goblin Guide) pushed Pauper Burn into tier 1 after it languished in tier 2 forever; you probably have most of that deck already if you want to lose to Luminescent Rain instead of Gorilla Shaman.

I really liked Inside Out Combo. Probably going to build it in paper even though I don't think there's a local shop that runs events for it.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #1717 on: August 15, 2018, 02:12:03 AM »
Pauper is like playing intro decks competitively.

Kara

« Reply #1718 on: August 15, 2018, 02:38:12 AM »
Intro decks have payoffs, nice try troll. :hhh

Kara

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1720 on: August 17, 2018, 12:45:46 PM »
Recent Decks Using Enchanted Evening

No decks found.

EDH not a real format, confirmed. :rejoice

he says, as he plays 1v1 EDH with worse cards on Arena. :shh
[close]
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1721 on: August 19, 2018, 10:25:21 AM »

Unsleeved Black Lotuses getting riffle shuffled to hell. :lol

"FIREBALL FOR 2, UPSTAIRS!"  :hyper
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1722 on: August 23, 2018, 06:38:55 PM »
Apparently, today was the day for BIG Trumpet Blast playz! I had one guy whose alpha strike fizzled when he cast TB pre-combat, and another guy who correctly cast TB during combat, pumping his vanilla 7/4 that was already being blocked by my 7/7 into a whopping 9/4.  :o I just need someone to try to pump their blockers with a TB now and I can log off happy.
©@©™

Mistress 9

« Reply #1723 on: August 28, 2018, 05:10:58 PM »
Maybe you guys can help me out with something MtG related that might also be kinda fun. There's a brewery that puts out beers that reference something related to a fandom, and if you can guess a promotional code based off references littered in the beer description and label, you get an extra allotment of said beer. This one is very clearly about MtG. Sometimes the code is really obvious, other times its really obscure. There are 3 total promotional codes that can only be used once, and 1 has already been used although they will not say what it is. They will occasionally drop hints on their instagram and so far the only thing they have said is "One has been completed, there are two active codes in very plain sight."

Here is what they posted on instagram. Link here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BnABD87D6Ej/?hl=en&taken-by=bottlelogicbrewing

With a first strike of port and a finishing blow of bourbon, these unique barrels amplify the roasted chocolate core of the base beer and further evoke soft flavors of raisins and preserves. Complex layers of deep port sweetness are fortified by cacao nib additions from Ecuador and Ghana to finish #ResplendentAngel, our Barrel Aged Chocolate Porter!
—
Shuffle through the sale site for all of the critical details (live link in profile) and some hints at the three Easter Egg codes currently in play -- here's the flavor text:
—
•#AcademyOfExploration: Bonus bottle sale is live now! Purchase your guaranteed bottle before 11:59pm on Saturday, September 1st!
—
•Public Sale: 12:00pm this Sunday, September 2nd. $21.95++, limit 3pp.
—
•Pick Up: Saturday, September 8th - Sunday, September 23rd.
—
#BottleLogic #StasisProject2018 #JustAnotherMagicMonday

Eventbrite page link - https://www.eventbrite.com/e/resplendent-angel-2018-bottle-release-tickets-49311138944

Extra text on eventbrite page not on instagram:

We’ve tapped into a deck of rare barrels to age and enchant a brand new Stasis Project!

Here is the beer label:

You can test out the easter egg code you suspect it might be by clicking on the ticket purchase link on the eventbrite page, then by clicking "enter promotional code".

Ive been trying to figure one out since it was announced yesterday. Ive tried everything I can think of from the artists name of Resplendent Angel, its card number in the set, to every angel card I can think of and I still haven't gotten anything. I was thinking that it had to be a "rare" "enchantment" card from the "core" set but I haven't gotten anywhere lol. Curious what you guys can come up with.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 05:16:36 PM by Mistress 9 »

Mistress 9

« Reply #1724 on: August 28, 2018, 05:12:24 PM »
Lemme know you have any questions :)

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1725 on: August 28, 2018, 09:31:13 PM »
Hmm, well I gave it a shot, but I couldn't come up with anything that worked. There's a rare Enchantment called Stasis (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=3948) but I couldn't get anything from that, and there's also a card called Thirst For Knowledge (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=45978) but it also didn't get me anywhere.  Going off of "port", there's a popular card called Rishadan Port, and going off of "academy" there's a pretty famous card called Tolarian Academy.
©@©™

Mistress 9

« Reply #1726 on: August 29, 2018, 02:50:45 PM »
Those were some great suggestions. Shit is hard. I again, tried for a few hours yesterday and still couldn't come up wth anything. They posted the Resplendent Angel card and implied it was basically right in front of everyone, so it had to do something with the card itself. (although I typed in so much in relation to it I can't even imagine what it was)

Apparently all the codes have been found and used as of this morning, so no need to continue looking!

I appreciate the help!! <3

If they announce what the codes were ill report back and let you know :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 02:56:27 PM by Mistress 9 »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1727 on: September 04, 2018, 10:16:52 AM »
Guild-themed basics from Return to Return to Ravnica:

:whew

Also, Shocklands are back again.
©@©™

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1728 on: September 12, 2018, 05:01:32 PM »
>Putting money into Arena
>Putting money into MODO
>Putting money into Paper
>2XXX

ISHYGDDT.jpg

They will be available on October 3, 2018 only in the "Mythic Edition" set from Hasbro Toy Shop for $249.99.

Wizards/Hasbro are out of their goddamn minds.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1729 on: September 13, 2018, 07:03:50 PM »
It's a month late but here's the deck I played at New Zealand Nationals for a respectable 4-1 in the Standard. I bricked the draft unfortunately (Jason Chung was in my draft pod so gg).

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/keld-red-w-black-splash/

I got so much stick for playing Dismissive Pyromancer but the card is is a house in a midrange matchup. As far as I can tell the only shit matchups are the mirror or vs. stock RB with scrapheaps, hearts of kiran, phoenix etc. Shreds control and midrange

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1730 on: September 14, 2018, 11:22:58 AM »
It's a month late but here's the deck I played at New Zealand Nationals for a respectable 4-1 in the Standard. I bricked the draft unfortunately (Jason Chung was in my draft pod so gg).

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/keld-red-w-black-splash/

I got so much stick for playing Dismissive Pyromancer but the card is is a house in a midrange matchup. As far as I can tell the only shit matchups are the mirror or vs. stock RB with scrapheaps, hearts of kiran, phoenix etc. Shreds control and midrange

Congrats, I guess you showed them not to be so dismissive. ;)

The local magic scene here is looking pretty dire. Both of my LGS's have closed down in the past 3 months. The second one is technically still open, but the guy that's owned it for ~10 years sold it to another guy that only wants to focus on Yugioh and Warhammer. :yuck He's still hosting FNMs, but I predict it'll last less than 6 months in it's current incarnation. Now I have to drive at least 60 miles to get to the next closest store. Which I will do occasionally for events, but the event calendar has been pretty spare this summer. Nothing's happening until the Dallas Open in October. I've been practicing Amulet Titan for that.
©@©™

Raist

« Reply #1731 on: September 19, 2018, 01:03:18 PM »
MTGA will be down 24th-27th. Accounts will be wiped, purchases will be refunded. Open Beta starts.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1732 on: September 19, 2018, 01:11:18 PM »
Bout time. I’ve gotten bored of building decks that are just gonna get wiped eventually.
©@©™

Raist

« Reply #1733 on: September 19, 2018, 02:32:08 PM »
The new set will be available btw. And anything pre-ixalan will be shitcanned.

Oh, and Sealed will be added.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1734 on: September 19, 2018, 02:33:40 PM »
The new set will be available btw. And anything pre-ixalan will be shitcanned.

Oh, and Sealed will be added.

Yeah, I saw where everyone that does an in-store Ravnica Prerelease gets a code for a free Arena sealed event. That's pretty cool.
©@©™

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1735 on: September 19, 2018, 06:02:42 PM »
But have they fixed the uninstaller nuking your entire drive yet?  :doge :girlaff

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1736 on: September 19, 2018, 06:10:15 PM »
Only one way to find out!
©@©™

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #1737 on: September 22, 2018, 05:25:58 AM »
Lets all boycott magic for Gerry

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1738 on: September 22, 2018, 07:57:59 PM »
I bought some magic cards today before I saw this, sorry.  :'(

$28 for a playset of Scapeshift. Less than a year ago this card was pushing $60, it's amazing what falling out the meta and getting a standard reprint at the exact same time will do.
[close]
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 09:30:58 PM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1739 on: September 24, 2018, 04:39:18 AM »
Wizards/Hasbro are out of their goddamn minds.

The rumor is that these were the HasCon 2018 promos that were rendered orphans by it being HasNoCon 2018.

Anyway, monetizing the shitty borderless alter market and ripping off people who play with planeswalkers is about the closest a corporation can come to doing good in society. Rock on, Wizards.