Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 346575 times)

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #1620 on: July 20, 2018, 01:18:46 AM »
Just 3-0'd a league with this bad boy and nabbed a qualifying point I'll never use. 8)

Reassembling Skeleton with Brawl-Bash Ogre was a house. :bow2

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1621 on: July 20, 2018, 01:34:36 AM »

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #1622 on: July 20, 2018, 04:01:18 AM »
Hey brehwalkers, remember my "Why did you counter this?" running gag? It's back, in Core Set 2019 form.

(Image removed from quote.)

Essence Scatter trades up SO MUCH why why why why why.

If you land a Child of night turn 2 and enchant it with Oakenform turn 3, you have pretty much won already.

Kara

« Reply #1623 on: July 20, 2018, 11:10:54 AM »
They had a Titanic Growth and a Rabid Bite in hand.

Also that's a statistically unlikely sequence of play when I've shown a Mountain and a Swamp on my first 2 turns.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1624 on: July 20, 2018, 03:06:33 PM »
5 minutes into the Arena stress test and it's already crashed with a "Waiting for Server" error.

We did it, fams. :rejoice
©@©™

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1626 on: July 20, 2018, 11:47:38 PM »

Drafting Control in Core 2019 is fun, can't wait to Cancel a Child of Night.  :hyper :hyper :hyper
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1627 on: July 21, 2018, 12:14:57 AM »
This Control player was having less fun than me, unfortunately.

Welcome to Canceltown, Fucko.  :aah

BTW, I Switcheroo'd one of my Wall of Mists for a Guttersnipe. Not the pinnacle of value, I'll admit, but this was after he Canelled a Shock that I cast on his Guttersnipe so I was beginning to think it was his only wincon.  :trumps
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1628 on: July 21, 2018, 12:16:57 AM »
You have to respect mythic commons like Child of Night, Joe. Counter it with Bone to Ash or don't even bother. :wag

I really like the set too. Wizards said Dominaria was a nostalgia set (and it was) but this actually feels like a set I would have drafted 18 years ago whereas Dominaria feels like a set that from a parallel universe where Dr. Garfield had kept working on Magic instead of leaving us to endure the reign of Mark, Tyrant of Orazca Renton.

People really seem to undervalue the signpost uncommons though? I just drafted black / white lifegain and I got passed 2 Regal Bloodlords AND a late Poison Tip Archer.

Trying to decide if I should splash the Poison Tip Archer; I already have a lot of spells with double pips but it's such a good card and it pairs well with my existing gameplan.
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1629 on: July 21, 2018, 12:40:50 AM »
OMG, the greatest Switcheroo ever cast! :lol

Sorry for spamming up the thread, but I had to share this one. With the last Wish Counter left on my Luminous Bonded Djinn of Wishes and staring down lethal, I top-decked Switcheroo and traded my Djinn for his Sparktongue Dragon. My opponent had no cards in hand, so it was all-expenses paid trip to Canceltown for him.
:aah
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1630 on: July 21, 2018, 01:34:39 AM »
Don't gotta apologize, breh, it's not that active a thread. :)

The thread mascot Sparktongue Dragon doin' werk for a Borean. :bow2

Fired up Arena (to discover I can't draft?). I never knew a British woman narrating a Magic tutorial was my fetish, but dang it's my fetish. :o

Orcish Artillery :heartbeat :heartbeat :heartbeat

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1631 on: July 21, 2018, 01:50:15 AM »
Ended up going 6-3, lost to Child of Night.  :maf

Also...

:thinking
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1632 on: July 21, 2018, 04:01:02 AM »
No shame in losing to the mythic common of the set, Joe.

Chris Clay is streaming Arena and he called the 22 / 26 land thing a myth. :o

Also they apparently factor the strength of your deck into your matchmaking. I guess that explains why I get to pubstomp with my vampire tribal deck. :'(

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1633 on: July 21, 2018, 04:20:44 AM »
Of course it's a myth. Shuffling is fucking broken. I lost count of how many times I get a hand of 7 with just one (or even no) lands, mulligan, then get 5 lands and some shit.
The rate at which it happens defies the laws of probability.

Also, great idea to have a stress test.

"Guys, we're getting reports that the game is crashing/freezing all the fucking time, for no reason. What do?"
"Dunno man, can't figure it"
"Any ideas? Guys?"
"Stress test?"
"YAY STRESS TEST"

Kara

« Reply #1634 on: July 21, 2018, 01:20:56 PM »
Defiance of probability can get much, much worse. Like on MODO, for example. :doge

Because I can't draft Core Set 2019 on Arena even though I have over 2000 gems (???) I did an Hour of Devastation draft and got to build a blue red spells deck that's ackshually a Fraying Sanity deck.

I don't think my opponent understood that drawing a card with no cards in library was a state-based effect. :lol

[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1635 on: July 21, 2018, 04:58:02 PM »
Of course it's a myth. Shuffling is fucking broken. I lost count of how many times I get a hand of 7 with just one (or even no) lands, mulligan, then get 5 lands and some shit.
The rate at which it happens defies the laws of probability.

Also, great idea to have a stress test.

"Guys, we're getting reports that the game is crashing/freezing all the fucking time, for no reason. What do?"
"Dunno man, can't figure it"
"Any ideas? Guys?"
"Stress test?"
"YAY STRESS TEST"

This was after I'd just easily won Game 1. :trumps
©@©™

Raist

« Reply #1636 on: July 21, 2018, 06:34:30 PM »
Well at least you got a warning. The worst is for the game to freeze, takes 5 tries to load back up properly, and then somehow you're back on the home screen with a loss.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1637 on: July 21, 2018, 06:45:16 PM »

:bobby
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1638 on: July 21, 2018, 07:42:20 PM »
Casting the Refuse half of Refuse // Cooperate for exactly lethal on a Lurching Rotbeast cast from the yard via Abandoned Sarcophagus. :lawd

Kara

« Reply #1639 on: July 22, 2018, 12:47:15 AM »
Won a game where my opponent went turn 3 Psychic Corrosion, turn 5 Patient Rebuilding and I finished with 3 cards in library. :anhuld

I had 2 Meteor Golems in a big mana deck and somehow they both managed to duck the slaughter. ngl, it was a pretty exciting.
[close]

Raist

« Reply #1640 on: July 22, 2018, 12:24:42 PM »
I hope they bring back singleton because any other mode (other than Drafts but they cost an arm and a leg) are :snore

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1641 on: July 22, 2018, 02:52:45 PM »
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1642 on: July 22, 2018, 09:46:06 PM »
Getting carried by the Regal Bloodlord, Epicure of Blood, Ajani's Welcome wombo combo. :lawd

Also Vivien for reasons.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1643 on: July 24, 2018, 02:17:44 AM »
Interesting, I'll have to try that next time I draft black / white. (I didn't really like it even though I had 2 Regal Bloodlords and a Leonin Warleader in mine.)

My big mana deck ended up going 2-1, losing the rubber game in the finals. :'(

I know I talked shit on Exclusion Mage for not being Man-o'-War but I won 3 games off a timely bounce. People don't seem to play around it, which is fair enough since it's uncommon.

If you draft any kind of ramp green deck, don't be shy about filling out your 40 with cards like Centaur Courser or Thornhide Wolves. The wolves in particular did a lot of work for me (they tend to come down when both sides are exhausted and it can't be answered).

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1644 on: July 24, 2018, 03:08:12 PM »
This guy is my hero. :lawd

I'm not even a fan of the Sarkhan tech, but this guy pulled it off. It wasn't at a major event but it wasn't an 8-man IQ either; apparently 168 people were signed up. God knows how he beat Hollow One with this deck, just hope they didn't have it I guess.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1645 on: July 25, 2018, 03:36:42 AM »
The pilot supposedly played Burn 3 or 4 times and Classics usually run ~7 rounds so they didn't have to dodge very much. 4x Dragon's Claw against 4/7 burn opponents. :lol

I drafted a white / green deck in Core Set 2019 that isn't all in on enchantments even though I picked up 2x Satyr Enchanters. (Drawing cards off Luminous Bonds. :hyper) My first match went pretty well and I think there's something to the "go wide, but have green beef to back you up" style of the deck, especially if you can land a Vine Mare... though the same could be said of all green decks with Vine Mare.

It might just be the MODO metagame right now but green has been very open on a regular basis. In this draft I got a mid-pack Dryad Greenseeker and a mid-pack Gift of Paradise. ???

Casting turn 2 Dryad Greenseeker against the only black / green deck in existence that has no targeted removal besides Nightmare's Thirst. :lawd
[close]

Kara

« Reply #1646 on: July 25, 2018, 01:02:04 PM »
 :oreilly :dayum :picard :goty :foxx

:pacspit :pacspit EDH :pacspit :pacspit

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1647 on: July 25, 2018, 01:18:04 PM »
The Commander design team has been raiding Maro's Unset folder again.
©@©™

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #1648 on: July 25, 2018, 07:24:16 PM »
NVM. RTFC/i haven't been paying attention to mtg lately lmao.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 07:42:12 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

thisismyusername

« Reply #1649 on: July 25, 2018, 07:44:16 PM »
The art is pretty, though. :yeshrug

Kara

« Reply #1650 on: July 25, 2018, 07:53:38 PM »
The art is pretty, though. :yeshrug

His Swamp in Dominaria is one of my favorite basics in a long time.

Field of Ruin is #iconic too.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1651 on: July 25, 2018, 07:58:18 PM »
Don't hate the painter, hate the game. :pacspit
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1652 on: July 25, 2018, 08:39:16 PM »
Don't hate the painter, hate the game. :pacspit

Says the guy who's never lost to Imperial Painter. :pitbull

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1653 on: July 25, 2018, 09:24:09 PM »
No, but to bring the discussion back around, I did lose to Painter's Servant in an EDH game once.

I just want to play my 12/12 mana dorks, but there's always gotta be some asshole that Show and Tell's in a T2 Omniscience and combos off.  :-\
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1654 on: July 25, 2018, 11:15:17 PM »
Don't let your friends mainboard Duress in draft.  :usacry

I've seen this twice, just today. Look, I'm the king of playing marginal cards because you drafted wrong and didn't have enough playables, but have you considered running an extra basic land? It was even worse in the other game, I had a T1 Novice Knight and was going to curve into a T2 Knight's Pledge and my opponent hit it with a Duress. This made me sad because I felt like this guy was gonna get the wrong idea and think that Duress was a good card, but fortunately the MTG Arena troll engine activated and drew me another Knight's Pledge, so hopefully that guy learned his lesson.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1655 on: July 26, 2018, 01:17:04 AM »
*extremely pro player voice* Hour of Devastation draft is one of the best draft formats of all time.

Triple Amonkhet :noah :noah :noah
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1656 on: July 26, 2018, 03:05:31 PM »
After several garbage fire M19 drafts yesterday, I did a HOU draft to try and get my mojo back and went 7-1 with Mummies. Then did a M19 draft and built a nice R/W Go Wide deck (that's the one above where I also pulled Palladia-Mors as my P3P1). Feels good to get a bomb mythic, after going like 3 drafts in a row where my most playable rares were Lilliana's Contract or One With the Machine (not saying those cards are bad, but not exactly windmill slam first picks).
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 03:12:44 PM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1657 on: July 26, 2018, 04:13:41 PM »
Red / white go wide is perhaps not the consensus best deck but lots of people are saying it is.

I'm kind of chalking that up to Angel of the Dawn legitimately being a mythic common though. :doge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1658 on: July 26, 2018, 04:32:26 PM »
It's like, what should I play this turn, a creature that doubles as a pump spell or a pump spell that doubles as a creature (Heroic Reinforcements)?
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1659 on: July 27, 2018, 01:40:31 AM »
It's like, what should I play this turn, a creature that doubles as a pump spell or a pump spell that doubles as a creature (Heroic Reinforcements)?

I played an absolute mess of a black / white deck in Arena draft (even I thought it had too much removal and too few playables) and the lone Angel of the Dawn in it won 2 too many games for me. :doge

Then I pub stomped in the brewer's challenge with black / white knights. Turn 3 History of Benalia backed up with turn 5 Fatal Push. :whew

Kara

« Reply #1660 on: July 27, 2018, 01:43:29 AM »
 ::)

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1661 on: July 27, 2018, 06:07:12 PM »
I've been Duress'd four times today. Kara, help. :mjcry

Twice in one game. I was playing R/B Sac and I had two Act of Treasons in my hand and the Sac Orc and I'm feeling pretty smug, and then I get double Duressed and they take both of them. So I just played Bone Dragon and attacked with it 4 times and won the game.
©@©™

thisismyusername

« Reply #1662 on: July 27, 2018, 06:53:32 PM »
::)

(Image removed from quote.)

3 for a 1/3.

VALUE!

I also miss the days when all cards got flavor text.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1663 on: July 27, 2018, 07:23:15 PM »
I also miss the days when all cards got flavor text.

©@©™

thisismyusername

« Reply #1664 on: July 28, 2018, 09:26:18 AM »

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Oh the places trolling you go!

Kara

« Reply #1665 on: July 28, 2018, 01:31:19 PM »
I've been Duress'd four times today. Kara, help. :mjcry

Short answer: You best start believing in trench tales, Mr. Molotov. You're in one! 🏴‍☠️

Longer answer: The card used to be a lot stronger than it is now (you played it in your main in Odyssey block era Monoblack Control, for example) and I suspect a nontrivial segment of the Arena playerbase are people who played the game once upon a time, but not recently, so it follows that they'd evaluate cards with outdated methodology.

Slate pitch take: In Dominaria draft the early consensus was that Divest was an unplayable card. After it became apparent that running artifact removal in your main even if you had plenty of playables was a good decision its value was revised (heh) to "underrated" from "unplayable."

@TIMU - a 1/3 for 3 is whatever, but commander ninjutsu is groan inducing, especially since we're never going to get the mechanic again in a real set and not because it's a bad mechanic (contra: phasing returning in Commander 2017).

Kara

« Reply #1666 on: July 28, 2018, 10:34:46 PM »
Finally living the dream, brehs. :lawd

This deck has so much trash in it that gets bailed out by Trumpet Blast. :lol
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1667 on: July 29, 2018, 02:40:33 PM »
I'm back up to Limited Tier 4 Gold after falling down to Tier 2 Silver due to some terrible drafting bad pack RNG. :rejoice
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1668 on: July 29, 2018, 03:49:00 PM »
I just drafted a red / white deck with Ajani, Adversary of Tyrants; Lena, Selfless Champion; Angel of the Dawn; 2x Heroic Reinforcements; 2x Militia Buglers; and 2x Pegasus Coursers. Can't wait to go 0-1 drop with this sucker.

Earlier today I got to live the dream and windmill slam Sarkhan's Unsealing on turn 4 and then fire off a stream of red and green fatties every turn after that. :lawd
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1669 on: July 29, 2018, 03:57:29 PM »
I had some guy hit me with a Sarkhan's Unsealing earlier and then T5 drop the 7/3 Hellion on me. :noah
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1670 on: July 29, 2018, 04:11:38 PM »
I just drafted a red / white deck with Ajani, Adversary of Tyrants; Lena, Selfless Champion; Angel of the Dawn; 2x Heroic Reinforcements; 2x Militia Buglers; and 2x Pegasus Coursers. Can't wait to go 0-1 drop with this sucker.

Called it!

Kara

« Reply #1671 on: July 29, 2018, 05:11:29 PM »
Friendship ended with red / white. Now blue / black control is my best friend.

In the game before this I won by casting Skymarch Bloodletter when my opponent was at 1. :D
[close]

Kara

« Reply #1672 on: July 29, 2018, 09:25:55 PM »
This is for you, Joe. :lol

This was game 2 and my opponent was a Sarkhan's Unsealing deck but I have up to 4 counterspells in my deck.
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1673 on: July 29, 2018, 10:13:51 PM »
You should have used the Essence Scatter on his Doomed Dessenter. A rookie mistake.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1674 on: July 29, 2018, 11:26:10 PM »
3-0'd with blue / black control. 8) Going to be able to play in a MOCS at this rate! :yuck

Graveyard Marshall is an amazing card if it sticks around for a turn or more. Open the Graves not as much, but I definitely won games because of it. (Decks can't beat the grind if you drop it.)

On a vaguely related note, I'm starting to see Ben Stark's wisdom in rating Reclamation Sage highly.

My only real sideboard cards were 2x Cancel and 1x Mind Rot. I only brought them in once against the Sarkhan's Unsealing deck and they were both very good there but that's because my opponent got stuck on mana and I went Mind Rot into Psychic Symbiont. :D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 01:05:15 AM by Kara »

Kara

« Reply #1675 on: July 30, 2018, 10:48:42 AM »
Blue / white / green Spirits dominated the MODO Modern Challenge this weekend. 8)

:bow Core Set 2019 :bow2

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1676 on: July 30, 2018, 11:11:34 AM »
It's almost like maybe they should just make good cards instead of worrying about how cards fit into the "story" and whether they're on theme or not.  :idont
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Raist

« Reply #1678 on: July 30, 2018, 12:31:33 PM »
Opponent kicks a Josu Vess  :holeup

My side of the board is empty save for lands  :kobeyuck

Top deck'd a Sweltering Suns  :aah :noah :umad

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1679 on: July 30, 2018, 05:26:18 PM »
my opponent: "I stabilize the board"

me: "Banefire for 8"

:patel
©@©™