Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 350341 times)

tehjaybo

• Kentucky-Bore's Last Hope
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #840 on: April 16, 2010, 04:21:08 PM »
Same.  The store owner's kid at the store that we played at is one of them.  He's some little annoying 14-15 year old kid running around trying to act cool for all the older kids that are there.  He uses the store's cards to build his decks, meaning he can pretty much build whatever he wants.  If he wins, the store doesn't have to pay any prizes out, so that kind of sucks, but whatever.  If he wasn't so fucking annoying I wouldn't mind nearly as much.  The only times I get any joy are when his dad yells at him for stuff infront of everyone and he starts to cry.

I actually need to go back to that shop...  I need to pick up some comics.  sigh.  I may just put in orders at the local place, if they're even still open.
HURR

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #841 on: April 16, 2010, 04:52:49 PM »
I'm going.  We have a pretty good local playgroup at the local nerd shop- nice mix of cool dudes of varying ages and seriousness about the game.  I'm the oldest of the serious players so I get to yell "get off my lawn" when I lose, fun times.
yar

Saint Cornelius

• Always rockin' the sawed-off wisdom.
« Reply #842 on: April 19, 2010, 01:49:48 PM »
I had a pretty good weekend at the prerelease! For the first time since M10, I actually placed high enough to get some boosters.

Saturday's pool started out kind of dismal. Hardly any Eldrazi to work with, but I pulled a Sarkhan the Mad and decided to build an aggro-as-fuck deck around red & black. With only one exception, every time I brought Sarkhan out, I won the game. Nothing like turning a shitty creature into a 5/5 flyer, then swinging with it the following turn followed by direct damage to your opponent with Sarkhan's -4 ability. I ended up going 5-3 and bringing home 3 boosters for my trouble.

Sunday's pool had a LOT of Eldrazi to choose from, like It That Betrays and an Eldrazi Temple. My first build was a green / white deck with plenty defenders and mana ramping, but after showing the guy who beat my ass in the first game my pool, he couldn't believe I wasn't playing the Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief I pulled. So after that game I changed to running green / black and things worked out alright. Went 3-3 and got 1 booster out of it.

I do like this Eldrazi set more than I thought I would.
dap

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #843 on: April 19, 2010, 07:42:30 PM »
I pulled a Gideon and decided to play white right then.  Bad choice!  My green was a way better compliment to my red- 2 of the 2/2 for 2 that poops out a spawn token, 2 of the 3/3 for 4 that poops out 2 spawn tokens and a rampant growth for 3 that poops out a spawn token.  Also a Gelatinous Genesis, which I cast for six once after I fixed my deck after round 2.  I still ended up going 2 and 2 and dropping so I could draft.  I won the draft going red/green with the fat 7/7 tramply green death worm that gives you 7 life when it comes into play and 3 freaking heat rays.  BOOM.  Yo dude dead, dog. 

Rares-
Gideon
Gelatinous Genesis
Realms Uncharted (aka Lands Ungiven)
Khalni Hydra (yeah right, I'm gonna cast an eight green mana spell in limited)
Consume the Meek
Nomad Gathering (whatever the white rebound thing is that craps out a bunch of Kor Soldiers)
Angelheart Vial
Guul Draz Assassin
Tuktuk the Explorer (dude was AWESOME all day)
Surrakar Spellblade

No Wall of Omens all day long!  Booo.  In limited I think the best archetypes to play are red/green ramp to Eldrazis (the 8/8 for 8 is common and abundant and really good) and blue/white levelers.  Venerated Teacher is pretty sick.
yar

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #844 on: April 19, 2010, 07:52:59 PM »
Khalni Hydra (yeah right, I'm gonna cast an eight green mana spell in limited)ty sick.

The last person I played was running a monogreen deck with some Eldrazi, and you can believe that he got that Khalni Hydra out both games  :'(
dap

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #845 on: April 20, 2010, 12:39:59 AM »
How the fuck did he put together a mono green deck with six packs?  Dude probably traded with someone else at his table.
yar

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #846 on: April 20, 2010, 12:55:53 PM »
How the fuck did he put together a mono green deck with six packs?  Dude probably traded with someone else at his table.

Actually there were a couple of monocolored decks making the rounds... his monogreen, a vicious ass monoblack... I heard that the winner of the whole event won with a fucking monoBLUE deck. It's possible!
dap

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #847 on: April 20, 2010, 02:32:25 PM »
Possible I guess, but not likely.  I mean, you're getting 84 cards out of six packs not counting basic lands.  Assuming a ROUGHLY equal split between five colors that's about 16-17 (and less in this set with the colorless Eldrazi spells) per color, so for him to get 20ish GOOD green cards is a stretch.  I would try and sit next to the people who had all the mono-colored decks next time and make sure there's no shenanigans going on.
yar

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #848 on: April 23, 2010, 06:43:09 PM »
I'm not too much of a fan of draft in general, but I went  to the midnight launch event last night (and stayed until 4AM w/ 2 rounds to go when I dropped at 2-1) and had a lot of fun with this set. It's REALLY wacky and different in limited than anything I've ever drafted before-the Eldrazi and their spawn, the levelers, the totem armors-there's a lot of very interesting "what is best to do here" considerations, and a lot of different ways to draft.

Only real complaint is that each round went completely to time. It's a very slow format, so if you are planning on a four-round event, you're likely going to be in the venue for a good five hours. It's fun, just bring a snack and a water bottle.  :P

Didn't pull anything good but I only run one T2 deck now anyway (Open the Vaults) and would have just traded anything awesome for more Legacy cards. Legacy is $$$$$ but as a constructed format it's SO much better than Standard it's not even funny. 

hex

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #849 on: October 26, 2012, 09:15:09 AM »
Bump from hell.

I've been pissing around with Magic cards for at least 15 hours in the past week. Tuning up my decks and playing heaps of crazy multiplayer with "the boys".

Man I love this game.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #850 on: October 26, 2012, 12:23:06 PM »
fuck is Ball Lightning even playable these days? I cant even tell anymore. Building decks out of old cards is serial busihness
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 12:33:25 PM by The Sceneman »

« Reply #851 on: October 26, 2012, 03:43:01 PM »
Just as a worthless contribution, I'm an oddball in that I like playing Magic, but I hate building decks.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #852 on: October 30, 2012, 11:22:41 PM »
fuck I just discovered the EDH format this week. Soooooo much fun.

Made a very nasty Black/Red deck with Kaervek the Merciless as commander. Was quite effective but not enough synergy with the cards. Having a Pandemonium on the board with Kaervek was insane though.

Working on a Black/Blue/White EDH deck now with Zur the Enchanter as commander. It's got the potential to set up some crazy combos and locks.

Do you play EDH, Creepy Old Guy?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 11:29:15 PM by The Sceneman »

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #853 on: October 30, 2012, 11:25:29 PM »
Just as a worthless contribution, I'm an oddball in that I like playing Magic, but I hate building decks.

I was the same, but recently I've had a moment of clarity and I'm finding deck building a lot easier and fun. I've been collecting MTG for 20 years so all my card knowledge is coming home to roost now. So horny to draft some Return to Ravnica.

Thinking about getting DotP 2013 on XBL for a cheap preview of some new cards. (havent bought any new cards since Wordwake).

And shit, last draft I went to I drafted Jace: the Mind Sculptor. Its now worth $75 :O
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 11:27:02 PM by The Sceneman »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #854 on: October 30, 2012, 11:35:11 PM »
fuck I just discovered the EDH format this week. Soooooo much fun.

Made a very nasty Black/Red deck with Kaervek the Merciless as commander. Was quite effective but not enough synergy with the cards. Having a Pandemonium on the board with Kaervek was insane though.

Working on a Black/Blue/White EDH deck now with Zur the Enchanter as commander. It's got the potential to set up some crazy combos and locks.

Do you play EDH, Creepy Old Guy?

I do.  I have a bunch of blue EDH caliber cards.  I also like doing cube drafts; I'm in the process of putting together a peasant (common/uncommons only) cube.  It's a hell of a lot of fun.

I'm kind of almost worthless to talk to about Magic, though- I play the game super competitively (even EDH, where most of my games end with me generating an infinite amount of mana through Palinchron shenanigans, then making all of my opponents draw a billion cards each) so unless you're following the pro tour/grand prix then you'll probably find me really obnoxious. :P  I'm not what one would term a "casual gamer"
yar

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #855 on: October 30, 2012, 11:39:01 PM »
yeah fair enough! My playgroup is super casual and we typically just like wacky multiplayer shenanigans with big zany fatties and the like.

I would like to try competitive magic out someday though. I've never played in a standard tournament but I'd like to do so once I'm earning again and I can buy myself a decent deck for standard.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #856 on: November 08, 2012, 12:03:31 AM »
bought some packs of Ravnica today. Got some doodoo rares. Boo.

Gonna have to hit up FNM booster drafts to get some cards I want plus step my limited game up as well as get PLANESWALKER POINTS.

WHY did they have to add Gamerscore and achievements to sanctioned MTG play? I'm gonna be hooked now.

I also chatted to some dudes hanging out in the card shop and I realized why this hobby is so maligned.

Freyj

« Reply #857 on: November 08, 2012, 12:26:14 AM »
Cross-posting: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 is $5 on Steam for the next 18 or so hours.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #858 on: November 08, 2012, 12:30:33 AM »
It's pretty good, I bought it on Xbox last week. Even got a voucher to print out and scored this sweet promo card from my local store:

you get a different promo card depending on what platform you bought the game on I think.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #859 on: November 09, 2012, 12:58:08 AM »
O_o;;

That would be some serious shit, if not dealt with quickly.

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #860 on: November 09, 2012, 01:52:21 AM »
I've TWICE had somebody CHANNEL into a LIGHTNING GREAVES and an EMRAKUL, THE AEONS TORN against me.

The twist: he did it on his first turn of the game.

The bigger twist: He lost both games!!!

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Both times he was on the draw.

The first time, I bolted his ass in response to him casting Emrakul.  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

The second time, a year or so later, on my first turn I played a Dark Ritual into an ENSNARING BRIDGE! At some point he gets out an OATH OF DRUIDS. On my third turn I get a Phyrexian Arena. 16 turns later, He was chump blocking my Jitted-up NANTUKO SHADE EVERY TURN WITH AN EMRAKUL THAT DIED EVERY TURN! ONLY TO BE BROUGHT BACK EVERY TURN BY OATH OF DRUIDS! ONLY TO DIE AGAIN MUAHAHA! 15 EMRAKULS WERE KILLED THIS WAY!

MOST PEOPLE DON'T KILL 15 EMRAKULS OVER THEIR WHOLE FUCKING MAGIC CAREER, MUCH LESS IN ONE SITTING, EVEN FEWER IN ONE SET, KILLING 15 EMRAKULS IN ONE GAME IS NOTHING SHORT OF LEGEND MATERIAL!

:rofl :rofl :rofl  :rofl  :rofl  :rofl  :rofl  :rofl  :rofl  :rofl  :rofl

I also Unmade 2 Ulamogs and 2 Kozileks during that game too.

ALL HAIL PHREXIAN ARENA.

[close]
UK

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #861 on: November 11, 2012, 09:10:01 PM »
Phyrexian Arena is the shit, I always pull it out first thing in my Zur the Enchanter EDH deck. Nothing beats drawing more shit :rock

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #862 on: November 13, 2012, 07:29:01 AM »
been running shit online in DotP 2013. I unlocked all the cards for the Goblin deck then tuned out all the garbage. Haven't lost yet in 1v1 as I just steamroll and no other deck can match its pace. Always wanted a Goblin deck IRL but never got around to trading for/building one.

T234

« Reply #863 on: November 13, 2012, 02:49:50 PM »
What all goblins are in DotP?

Lackey?
Piledriver?
Sharpshooter?
Siege Gang?

UK

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #864 on: November 13, 2012, 07:47:38 PM »
Piledriver is the main bomb, Krenko, Mob Boss is another banger. Warren Instigator is killer. Ringleader is very good too. I enjoy Ember Hauler and Goblin Arsonist, and Balloon Brigade was one of my fave cards as a kid.

Most of the goblins in the deck are average, but you can chop and change cards so you can get the mana curve just right so you play something every turn.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #865 on: November 14, 2012, 09:06:25 AM »
:bow

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 09:08:50 AM by The Sceneman »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #866 on: November 14, 2012, 10:27:43 AM »
Pfft.  Let's give props to the real daddy.

yar

T234

« Reply #867 on: November 14, 2012, 11:59:15 AM »
Necropotentence is indeed tha King. Only rivaled by two cards with Yawgmoth written on them. I had somebody Dragonstorm for 26 on me one time with Yawgmoth's Will.
UK

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #868 on: November 26, 2012, 07:35:12 AM »

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #869 on: November 30, 2012, 10:30:42 AM »
had a v. good play session tonight.

Return to Ravnica draft: yeah I drafted overcosted poop and bombed out. Even my Loxodon Smiter couldnt save my dogshit deck

Two games of EDH: I was real stoned and couldnt figure out what was going on. Lost. HARD

One on One Vintage: got my Phyrexian Dreadnought + Stifle combo out and cleaned up. Love that fucken exploit

tehjaybo

« Reply #870 on: March 29, 2014, 02:51:39 AM »
NECRO FROM HELL

Because I just won a Modern format tourney

WITH A MILL DECK.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:patel
[close]
HURR

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #871 on: March 29, 2014, 11:44:20 AM »
WDW

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #872 on: March 29, 2014, 12:27:08 PM »
there is a program called magic workstation which let you play MTG online with other people, i used it a lot back when mirrodin/ravnica/kamigawa were things but honestly after a while i got bored so i quit
<----

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #873 on: March 29, 2014, 01:04:48 PM »
Magoose got bored with a hobby that requires money? Tell me more.
yar

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #874 on: March 29, 2014, 01:09:21 PM »
Magoose got bored with a hobby that requires money? Tell me more.

if you play on magic workstation everybody owns every card in the game, if anything that's what makes it boring as everybody runs an almost exact copy of whatever deck the tournament champ (i think when i stopped it was some dragonstorm deck or something like that?) used you little dipshit :beli

i tried escaping to the extended format to get more variety out of it but then you tend to meet this sort of guy and for the love of god,don't be this guy

« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 01:30:07 PM by magus »
<----

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #875 on: March 29, 2014, 01:36:26 PM »
:rejoice control decks

:piss people playing creatures :piss2
yar

« Reply #876 on: March 29, 2014, 03:36:09 PM »
Jebus, this is a thing here too? I just moved to an area that sucks ass for Magic, but I have a couple of people who like to play EDH. So, now I have a cube I'm building, but fuck spending thousands of bucks on Swords and shit in one go. I'm going to print some proxies and replace those things over time.

tehjaybo

« Reply #877 on: March 29, 2014, 04:30:57 PM »
http://magiccards.info/ is great for printing legit looking proxies.  I usually glued them to basic lands and sleeved them, and it's pretty realistic for casual friendly play.

But yeah, played some B/U/W turbo mill that we didn't think would do shit, ended up going practically undefeated.  Five rounds, went 2/0 each round except one that I drew in, with one loss because I misunderstood the opponent's deck.  Coulda won (activated both of the two Archive Traps in my hand instead of one), but I thought he had a second Emrakul in deck (since I had hit one with Surgical Extraction as it hit GY), but there was only one.  Real shame I couldn't go completely undefeated, but them's the breaks.  I had a lot of fun either way, might actually start going back to tournaments again. 
HURR

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #878 on: March 29, 2014, 04:46:55 PM »
so what's the top tier deck these days? i searched for a while and read there is some R/G thingie that can lay the beatdown pretty fast thanks to some devotion mechanic or something?
<----

« Reply #879 on: March 29, 2014, 04:57:09 PM »
so what's the top tier deck these days? i searched for a while and read there is some R/G thingie that can lay the beatdown pretty fast thanks to some devotion mechanic or something?

That one is basically a metagame reaction to the two tier 1 decks, mono black devotion and mono blue devotion. Devotion is a stuff happens when you get X amount of Y mana symbols on board mechanic.

tehjaybo

« Reply #880 on: March 29, 2014, 11:02:48 PM »
I made notes of the big decks at the Modern tournament last night, decks were

Affinity
Melira Birthing Pod
Zoo
Living End
Ascension Storm
UW Urzatron
GR Urzatron
GW Aura
Goblins
Faeries
Kiki Birthing Pod
Spinter Twin
RWU Control
Burn
HURR

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #881 on: March 29, 2014, 11:05:41 PM »
Yeah, that's modern for you. I got pissy when they banned Seething Song (had a Storm-Ascension deck) and sold all my shit. I haven't played in about a year and have no real urge to, despite the fact that I basically make my living off of this stuff. Familiarity breeds contempt, etc etc.
yar

tehjaybo

« Reply #882 on: March 30, 2014, 12:15:25 AM »
Apparently Mill has been seeing a little MTGO play or something?  Not sure.  But I think part of the reason it won as well as it did was because of the shock factor.  I had people getting up from rounds to come over and see what the hell was going on.  Talk about an ego boost.
HURR

« Reply #883 on: March 30, 2014, 02:51:12 AM »
Yeah, that's modern for you. I got pissy when they banned Seething Song (had a Storm-Ascension deck) and sold all my shit. I haven't played in about a year and have no real urge to, despite the fact that I basically make my living off of this stuff. Familiarity breeds contempt, etc etc.

You own a shop or something?

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #884 on: March 30, 2014, 06:36:27 AM »

No, but I work for one of if not the largest 3rd party resellers for MTGO, so basically I work for a shop. The game has gotten insanely popular in the last year and a half, and we're doing gangbusters for sales, but our customer base online is... god bless them, they're special.
yar

« Reply #885 on: March 30, 2014, 06:47:49 AM »

No, but I work for one of if not the largest 3rd party resellers for MTGO, so basically I work for a shop. The game has gotten insanely popular in the last year and a half, and we're doing gangbusters for sales, but our customer base online is... god bless them, they're special.

Ah. Academy?

But yeah, when WotC fixes MTGOs shit, I'll be going back there.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #886 on: March 30, 2014, 09:58:07 AM »

Ah. Academy?

But yeah, when WotC fixes MTGOs shit, I'll be going back there.

well i already suggested magic workstation as an alternative to play online but just in case,have you heard of our lord and saviors hex? it's basicaly MTG but with MMO element attached (think commanders that gain power as you play,equipment that give extra abilities to card you own...)

it seems they might finaly be able to go into open beta in a bunch of weeks (after saying on their kickstarter that open beta would happen around september 2013,might i add) creepy here has a closed alpha access since he's a kickstarter backer so maybe he can tell you more than me
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 10:15:39 AM by magus »
<----

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #887 on: March 30, 2014, 11:21:21 AM »
Hex is an unplayable mess right now. As much as I hate the mtgo client, it's at least usable 90% of the time. I use online card game clients for a living, and trust me when I say- Hex is an unusable clusterfuck of epic proportions. I wish I could get my KS money back.
yar

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #888 on: March 30, 2014, 11:52:10 AM »
Hex is an unplayable mess right now. As much as I hate the mtgo client, it's at least usable 90% of the time. I use online card game clients for a living, and trust me when I say- Hex is an unusable clusterfuck of epic proportions. I wish I could get my KS money back.

really? haven't they been working on it for like 5 month already? i've seen some youtube video and it looked allright for most of the part, i even heard they recently added even stuff like draft which kinda implies they are done with the basic at least

i mean it's not like that i don't trust you but i'm really curious about the matter
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 12:18:26 PM by magus »
<----

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #889 on: March 30, 2014, 12:22:19 PM »
I tried to play it a couple months ago and it was shit. Maybe they've fixed it but it's very unintuitive to say the least. Maybe it's just because Hearthstone was so much easier to immediately start playing, but Hex had a very, very steep learning curve, no real intro tutorial at the time, and a lot of shit to keep up with.
yar

« Reply #890 on: March 30, 2014, 01:07:48 PM »
All these knock off TCGs are shite, really. There is always some other off brand that makes waves for a year or so then dies. Netrunner is pretty decent, but it's complex just to be complex. People were already bored with the Hearthstone before the beta was over. Solforge is Tyrone status.

I like MtG and really would spend obscene amounts of cash on MTGO, but they hired good ole boys who learned programming from Dummies books and it show.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #891 on: March 30, 2014, 04:58:08 PM »
Hahahahaha you have no fucking idea

No, I mean seriously

I think they have like a billion designers and like 3 people coding the client, the beta is a clusterfuck of epic proportions and they LIKE some of the dumbest features in it

But, it still runs better than the Hex client somehow
yar

« Reply #892 on: March 31, 2014, 03:06:16 AM »
I liked when the beta would grey out all the cards not currently being selected. That was an awesome feature for a game whose identity is wholly based on COLORS.

That showed me definitively what type of geniuses were hammering away on that thing. Then they set a hard launch date, but nobody was using the beta because of slowdown, then they rescinded the launch date, now they've gone dark on the development again. And the client crashed during their own internal championships, on stream. Pros are writing articles about why they're not switching over.

WotC remains silent.

Worth drinks a little more and more each day

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #893 on: March 31, 2014, 04:37:33 AM »
Hearthstone - babby's first tcg, blizzard managed means that new cards will take forever to come out.
Hex - they might get this working someday, and it'll be good then. Crypto knows how to design cards, sets, and blocks.
Solforge - entertaining drafting, best non mtgo online tcg. Constucted is less good but not bad.
MTGO - refuses to pay market wages for labor, product suffers as a result. Still offers the best constructed and limited TCG experience.

Can't wait for Vintage on MTGO, that is my favorite format by far in paper.
hex

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #894 on: March 31, 2014, 08:15:15 AM »
Sometimes I really feel like MtG succeeds IN SPITE OF the people making it. Although, apparently everyone else loves that spells have been nerfed and creatures buffed, so wtf do I know. Creatures are disgusting and usually only good if they come attached to lands so that they have some marginal value otherwise. And, of course, Snapcaster Mage.
yar

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #895 on: March 31, 2014, 08:16:26 AM »
there was another online TCG that got kickstarted called infinity wars, i played it for a while but quickly got tired as getting new cards by free mean was pretty much impossible (at least when i played, i think they changed the rule for getting the currency used to buy new cards) and your starting option sucks beyond balls so it made for tons of "scrub getting floored" game... even then at the time there was only the first set so there wasn't much variety to your opponent (at the moment they got to 3 sets)

some features

- no mana cards,each turn both players get 1 max mana until they max at 10,what cards can be played is decided by...
- their 3 commander,when you make a deck you decide 3 commander card which you can play at any moment, the commander can also use their triggered ability even before being played which means a lot of deck are usualy based around a specific triggered ability
- turns are played at the same time, when combat comes you decide before who attacks and who blocks,then the first creature you declared as a blocker automaticaly blocks the first creature declared as an attacker and so on... spell cards also happen together with combat,so says if i cast terror on a creature you declared as a blocker the attacker go through
- other than standard damage there is also a morale value that decreases when creature dies so it's totaly possible to end a game with a well timed wrath of god
- there are 7 factions/color unlike MTG standard 5... they are

Flame Dawn - kinda looks like a bunch of warhammer 40,000 reject,focusing on punching things really hard with stuff like haste and attack buff,basicaly the red color
Warpath - nature and beastman cards, focus on big/middle creature,mana generation and token making, the green color
Cult of Verore - bunch of cultist and demons, focus on killing things efficently and card that likes to die or when thing die's, basicaly the black color
Descendants of Dragon - feudal japan themed, focus on defense,healing and being a pain in the ass, they usualy try to win using morale damage rather than actual damage, they are more or less the white color
Genesis Industries - focus on robot and mad scientist,this one would be blue but i have an hard time calling it blue,the robot focus mostly on being pumped and supporting each other and +1/+1 counter getting distributed a lot is a recurring theme so rather than says that this is the color blue it probably would be more correct to says it's similiar to ravnica simic faction
Sleepers of Avarach - these guys are zombies,they love being in the graveyard,getting out of the graveyard and occasionaly putting opponent card in the graveyard,they are the laziest bit of the black color
The Exiles - these guys are demons,it's a faction that i don't know much because they added it within the 2 last set but it seems to focus on sacrificing stuff,discarding card and sack effect so i guess the closest would be the rakdos faction?

oh and of course there are factionless card that everybody can play

- lastly every card has animation on it, a fact that they really pushed on their kickstarter, something like 5 whole frame of animation for each card!

« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 08:39:21 AM by magus »
<----

« Reply #896 on: March 31, 2014, 08:27:05 AM »
Sometimes I really feel like MtG succeeds IN SPITE OF the people making it. Although, apparently everyone else loves that spells have been nerfed and creatures buffed, so wtf do I know. Creatures are disgusting and usually only good if they come attached to lands so that they have some marginal value otherwise. And, of course, Snapcaster Mage.

Ahahahahah....this is why fans complain so much. The game really is hands down the best in its class. But outside of the game developers, who have had to create roughly 10000000000010000003 cards over 20 years, they have no idea what the fuck they're doing. They have mathematicians working as marketing folks, graphic designers as web designers, interns as app developers....they're just so ingrained in being a small, buddies club that they don't even know how to get big.

So, we play on because the game is fun, then get pissed when they do some distinguished mentally-challenged shit. Again.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #897 on: March 31, 2014, 08:46:26 AM »
so kinda embarassing to ask but any of you guys ever bothered with yu-gi-oh? konami has released tons of conversion on both the PSP and DS (in fact i'd say they abused it in the same way EA does it with madden) so i know the game pretty well, it's worth it if only for the bits of konami trivia in it

and the occasional vampire koala

<----

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #898 on: March 31, 2014, 03:52:19 PM »
:gurl
yar

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #899 on: March 31, 2014, 05:43:39 PM »
it's a fun game when you get past it's "for kiddie's" premise, there is a lot of card interaction and combo based creature deck are all the rage which make it amazing if you a johnny players, racial deck are all the rage and often follow goofy theme instead of the usual "goblin/elf/zombie" template

for example there is a whole set of mechanic puppet japanese feudal creature that relies on switching your monster around, one of the beat down tribe is based around kaiju like heroes fusing together there is another race based on halloween monster and so on...

if there is a thing that ruin the game is that some card are so good that they more or less pop up in every deck (there is one card that is basicaly like MTG force of will that can be run in every deck that often goes in and out of the ban list) and to be honest some of the tribes just flat out sucks so if you try to have fun spike will come to ruin your game with one of his top tier deck

fucking spike and his control freak tendency >:(
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 05:45:48 PM by magus »
<----