Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 349929 times)

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #600 on: September 01, 2009, 03:25:19 PM »
Yeah the land counts were key (and somewhat implicit) in my earlier remark. I've done a near mono-red (RB, actually) with a huge degree of success build with 23 or so when playing with Demigod of Revenge. Seven lands total is like turn 12 or so at the soonest, maybe a few turns earlier if you get hit with a Path to Exile. Just too slow, and the downside of the taplands-losing a turn of tempo in the early game in a deck that wants to come out of the gates with a smooth curve of creatures fast-is really painful.

I'm out of the game for the moment, having sold off all my Lorwyn/Shadowmoor stuff. Will see if I want to hop back in once Zendikar comes out. Will definitely need to see some decent blue before making that decision, I don't care if twelve year olds don't like permission, I like islands!

Warp world with this land means game over.

Resolved Warp World with any deck built around it is game over. Like any combo deck, you either race it or counter it.
hex

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #601 on: September 01, 2009, 04:29:37 PM »
I've lost a few time swhne I warped.

At the PTQ I warped into one of my two non-basics and he warped into an anthamencer. I was at one life. :(

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #602 on: September 01, 2009, 06:54:10 PM »
Trap cards.  :-\

It's time to duel, Yugi.  :'(

Saint Cornelius

• Always rockin' the sawed-off wisdom.
« Reply #603 on: September 01, 2009, 07:05:27 PM »
Eh, I think those cards that you could play facing the opponent or facing you (not morph cards, those were upside down) were more Yugi-Poke-esque than the trap cards. It don't bother me none.
dap

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #604 on: September 01, 2009, 07:33:24 PM »
Morph rocked you take that back.

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #605 on: September 01, 2009, 10:57:08 PM »

Exalted Angel :rock :rock
hex

tehjaybo

• Kentucky-Bore's Last Hope
« Reply #606 on: September 02, 2009, 12:43:47 AM »

Astral Slide :rock :rock
HURR

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #607 on: September 02, 2009, 01:48:09 PM »

Morph is where you played the cards face down, then you could flip them right side up for a cost, right? I love that shit - I've got a mono-blue wizards control deck that I love!
dap

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #608 on: September 03, 2009, 01:35:33 PM »
meh so cancel is getting printed in zen. garbage.

This, however, is damn nice. Welcome back Harrow! A great early play, you get an extra land drop and they come in untapped so you can still do something else that turn. Fantastic in control decks for obvious reasons but with the (so far) weak mana bases green and control just won't work out I don't think.

hex

tehjaybo

« Reply #609 on: September 03, 2009, 02:58:08 PM »
meh so cancel is getting printed in zen. garbage.

This, however, is damn nice. Welcome back Harrow! A great early play, you get an extra land drop and they come in untapped so you can still do something else that turn. Fantastic in control decks for obvious reasons but with the (so far) weak mana bases green and control just won't work out I don't think.

(Image removed from quote.)

:drool

That goes really well with the blue/green control mill that we're building...  Turn three (or maybe even two  :o), do that to get two untapped islands.  nom nom nom.
HURR

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #610 on: September 03, 2009, 03:31:01 PM »
Just out of curiousity why do you always refer to yourself in magic threads as "we"

Don't you ever build decks by yourself to compete with whoever this other person is?

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #611 on: September 03, 2009, 03:32:00 PM »
Anyone getting Planechase? I'm going to the presale event this weekend just to get the Tezzum promo planecard, but I don't know if I want to shell out lots of money for WotC's answer to Chaos Magic. We'll see once I play it.
dap

tehjaybo

« Reply #612 on: September 03, 2009, 03:39:23 PM »
Just out of curiousity why do you always refer to yourself in magic threads as "we"

Don't you ever build decks by yourself to compete with whoever this other person is?

Billyofcourse, our friend Brandon, and myself all share card pull.  We have a bunch of decks that each person in the group has a say in building.  And no, I don't build decks by myself, because I am not a very good deckbuilder since I prefer to build decks that I like rather than netdecks, and when the new cool netdeck comes out that would do well that uses the cards that are in my deck, WHOOP there they go.  Given, most of the time the big expensive cards aren't mine that I like to use, so I really don't have a say in them being removed from my deck.  Though there was the time I wanted to use the foil Jace that I drafted, but since it matched the set of 2010 Jaces in Billy's deck, I got stuck with the Jace VS Chandra ones..  not that it's a big deal since it's the same card other than art... but eh.  It allows me to play competitive decks.

Anyone getting Planechase? I'm going to the presale event this weekend just to get the Tezzum promo planecard, but I don't know if I want to shell out lots of money for WotC's answer to Chaos Magic. We'll see once I play it.

If I go to FNM (which I don't know, since it's 45 mins away and I've done it twice already this week), then I may be doing this.  But it's slightly doubtful.
HURR

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #613 on: September 04, 2009, 07:37:53 PM »

Stupid good IMO. Not as good as the return of the new double-strike Goblin Lackey, but really good. Suicide black could be good casual fun (even if doesn't have dark ritual hypnotic specters and sinkholes like my old suicide black deck did back in the day).
hex

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #614 on: September 04, 2009, 07:42:04 PM »
I'm kinda confused as to why one of my local stores is having a Planechase pre-release tonight for $20, yet a different store is having it for $25. I think the more store selling them for $25 is having the extra $5 go towards prizes, but I thought Planechase was all about the casual format.

Huh. I'll probably be out $50 when it's all over with ;)
dap

tehjaybo

« Reply #615 on: September 05, 2009, 07:44:35 AM »
I'm kinda confused as to why one of my local stores is having a Planechase pre-release tonight for $20, yet a different store is having it for $25. I think the more store selling them for $25 is having the extra $5 go towards prizes, but I thought Planechase was all about the casual format.

Some stores just suck less...  :lol

Cosmic Oasis had Standard + Planechase for 24.  I was totally down with that.  Played 5CC Cruel Archangel, did okay, no top 8 though.  Got the zombie Planechase deck, it's pretty fun.  We had a ton of fun with the planechase games.  In the main tournament, I got first place with planechase. 

Packs :rock
HURR

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #616 on: September 05, 2009, 11:35:50 AM »
Planechase is going to be a great casual multiplaer format. I had a blast with the red-white deck.

Lightning Helix :rock

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #617 on: September 05, 2009, 08:28:34 PM »
:omg :omg :omg

Pfft.  Old and busted.  Meet the new hotness:

Can you say double Siege Gang Commander on turn three, boys and girls?  Can you imagine the hole in your opponents' anoos when you do that?  I knew you could, boys and girls!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 10:32:00 AM by The Card Cheat »
yar

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #618 on: September 06, 2009, 10:27:11 AM »
Enemy fetchalnds are "confirmed" as in according to MTG Salvation.

B/G, R/W, and U/R have always been some of my favorite color combos, really happy about this. Balances out with the allied dual lands pretty well.
hex

Kara

« Reply #619 on: September 06, 2009, 08:21:03 PM »
Pfft.  Old and busted.  Meet the new hotness:

Can you say double Siege Gang Commander on turn three, boys and girls?  Can you imagine the hole in your opponents' anoos when you do that?  I knew you could, boys and girls!

Mythic  :-\ :'( :maf ::)

edit: also a 2 drop :-\

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #620 on: September 07, 2009, 04:32:18 AM »
alright, pre-ordered a box of Zendikar. Will open it with 2 friends, 1 gram of speed and at least 40 beers

tehjaybo

« Reply #621 on: September 07, 2009, 05:03:06 PM »
alright, pre-ordered a box of Zendikar. Will open it with 2 friends, 1 gram of speed and at least 40 beers

Same thing, except without the speed or beers.  Probably fritos and Dr Pepper here..  :lol

Oh, and two boxes, I'm pretty sure.
HURR

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #622 on: September 07, 2009, 05:22:26 PM »
Zendikar is going to be nuts. This is going to be such a powerful set.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #623 on: September 07, 2009, 05:24:16 PM »
Yeah, looks like it will be a pretty profitable set to draft too.
yar

tehjaybo

« Reply #624 on: September 08, 2009, 12:58:39 PM »
I've already thrown together my mono-red goblin deck in preparation for Zendikar, complete with the stuff in as placeholders for some of the sweet new goblins they have out. 

Lawdy, I am excited as shit!
HURR

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #625 on: September 08, 2009, 01:04:28 PM »
Good luck getting four Warren Instigators out of two boxes!
yar

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #626 on: September 08, 2009, 01:45:26 PM »
So the store that I played Planechase in on Friday for $20 - all I got was the Planechase set, no promo card or anything (he gave the promo cards to the people who won their matches, which I thought was odd since this was supposed to be all about casual, but whatever). On Saturday I played at a different store for $25... got the promo card AND a M10 booster. The owner was also giving a booster to everyone who won a match.

I bought the R/G Elemental one and the mono-black Zombie one. Good fun!
dap

tehjaybo

« Reply #627 on: September 08, 2009, 02:55:54 PM »
Good luck getting four Warren Instigators out of two boxes!

We're now talking about three boxes maybe, not to mention all of the trade fodder that comes out of said boxes.

So the store that I played Planechase in on Friday for $20 - all I got was the Planechase set, no promo card or anything (he gave the promo cards to the people who won their matches, which I thought was odd since this was supposed to be all about casual, but whatever). On Saturday I played at a different store for $25... got the promo card AND a M10 booster. The owner was also giving a booster to everyone who won a match.

I bought the R/G Elemental one and the mono-black Zombie one. Good fun!

It really depends on how stores do their payout and promos.  Cosmic Oasis (where msot of KentuckyBore goes) gives a promo just for playing, and usually has a pretty good prize layout.  I think first place for the tuesday night standard is upwards of $50 store credit, which isn't too bad for $5 entry.

I got the zombie planechase deck too.  I'm working on it to make it a really good planechase deck.  :hyper  All kinds of buff zombie zombies, and this little guy for additional fun...

:teehee
HURR

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #628 on: September 08, 2009, 04:09:48 PM »

Some stores just suck less...  :lol

Cosmic Oasis had Standard + Planechase for 24.  I was totally down with that.  Played 5CC Cruel Archangel, did okay, no top 8 though.  Got the zombie Planechase deck, it's pretty fun.  We had a ton of fun with the planechase games.  In the main tournament, I got first place with planechase. 

Packs :rock
Yeah, over my dead Master of Etheriums :lol

I played jaybo and 'em's Jund mannequin, got screwed outta top 8.

Also, WHAT THE FUCK

Nissa Revane   2gg

Planeswalker - Nissa    Mythic Rare
[+1] Search your library for a card named Nissa's Chosen and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.
[+1] You gain 2 life for each Elf you control.
[-7] Search your library for any number of Elf creature cards and put them onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.
Illus. Jaime Jones   
UK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #629 on: September 08, 2009, 04:15:09 PM »
The only slightly balanced thing about her is that she starts out at 2 loyalty.

But STILL.  That's pretty gross.  The card she fetches, by the way, is this guy:

Nissa's Chosen  GG

Creature- Elf Warrior

If Nissa's Chosen would be put into a graveyard from the battlefield, put it on the bottom of its owner's library instead.

2/3 

Pretty gross.
yar

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #630 on: September 08, 2009, 04:20:12 PM »
Elspeth tosses out 1/1s and gets +1 loyalty and she's a total pest to kill because of it. This is even nuttier, but thankfully she dies to bolt/Ajani Helix/etc.

That blue/green fetchland is going to be stupid pricey given that blue silliness and Tarmogoyf  rule the roost in the extended and eternal formats.

hex

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #631 on: September 08, 2009, 04:25:03 PM »
I just kind of wish that they'd have the balls to print useful lands at uncommon.  Assembling a manabase is one of the most cost prohibitive things stopping me from really getting back in the game.  I do like the synergy between the fetch lands and the landfall mechanic, tho- wonder if rampant growth sees print in this set too.  Probably not, as harrow is being reprinted and that would kind of be too many of a similar spell I guess.
yar

tehjaybo

« Reply #632 on: September 09, 2009, 04:48:37 PM »
I just kind of wish that they'd have the balls to print useful lands at uncommon.  Assembling a manabase is one of the most cost prohibitive things stopping me from really getting back in the game.  I do like the synergy between the fetch lands and the landfall mechanic, tho- wonder if rampant growth sees print in this set too.  Probably not, as harrow is being reprinted and that would kind of be too many of a similar spell I guess.

Rampant Growth was in 2010.  Should be legal for quite some time.
HURR

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #633 on: September 09, 2009, 04:52:37 PM »
I was thinking more in terms of block stuff.
yar

tehjaybo

« Reply #634 on: September 09, 2009, 04:57:58 PM »
Yeah, but reprinting the same card two sets in a row seems impractical.  I think it should be good just being in 2010.  It'll see about the same amount of play, I think.
HURR

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #635 on: September 09, 2009, 05:01:05 PM »
Depending on how many awesome landfall cards are in the set, it'll see even MORE play than it currently does.  Jund Mana Ramp decks are looking at this set and drooling, esp. with Harrow being reprinted.  I wonder if it's practical to run Rampant Growth and Harrow in the same deck, tho?  I think maybe 3 of each or 4 and 2.  Running a full four of each seems impractical. 
yar

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #636 on: September 15, 2009, 09:29:24 PM »
Rumors about that there is a mythic rare to be unveiled later this week that is "one of the most broken cards in years".

It looks like each big set is going to have one monster playable Mythic Rare from here on out. That being said, if it means that overall MTGO rare prices continue to plummet in response to the sheer volume of product being opened, it more than makes up for it.

hex

tehjaybo

« Reply #637 on: September 15, 2009, 09:58:29 PM »
If you want overpowered, revisit Warren Instigator. 

Great card, yeah.  But here's what I didn't think of until I was playing with proxies last night.

Double Strike.

Double Strike.

DOUBLE STRIKE.

Why yes, I will swing for two on turn three, Lightning Bolting whatever blockers you have and dropping two Siege Gang Commanders, for a total of 9 creatures to attack you next turn, thank you for asking!
HURR

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #638 on: September 15, 2009, 10:24:50 PM »
Warren Instigator demands that you have an answer to him. I like that as it keeps control decks honest, they can't just take beatings and stall for a sweeper, they have to deal with him right quick.

He's a puny 1/1 creature with no evasion and 2 casting cost, which I'm not too enthused about. I might try playing All In Red ( the new Chandra is wow) in paper during extended season this year and if I do I don't see me playing this guy to be honest.

Sweet god almighty:

http://community.wizards.com/magiconline/blog/2009/09/15/zendikar_spoiler

Nice fat.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 10:27:45 PM by Fragamemnon »
hex

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #639 on: September 15, 2009, 10:29:31 PM »
WTF, creatures are ridiculous now.  With shit like that and Great Sable Stag, there's NO GOOD ARGUMENT against a 2 cc hard counter.
yar

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #640 on: September 15, 2009, 10:33:25 PM »
Sure there is, people are babies and hate having their spells countered.

Which is why I wish they would reprint something like Remand, which is a nice balance between blue power and letting people play their cards.

hex

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #641 on: September 16, 2009, 01:09:59 AM »
The uncommon duals:

Will be useful for limited and block constructed, but I don't see them having an impact on anything else.  Neat that they'd print them at uncommon, I guess, but then again the tri-lands were uncommon too.
yar

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #642 on: September 16, 2009, 04:13:58 PM »
Not too keen on them. Much prefer the rare allied duals from M10 for allied color decks, though these do work better than trilands in a two-color allied deck if you need more fixing due to, say WWW and 1G as part of your curve (this sort of arrangement is what made black/white tokens manabase so touchy, they needed to be able to do turn 2 bitterblossom to turn 3 spectral procession).

real talk: I already miss cryptic command. The new force spike blows for control, though it seems really nice for something like bant aggro or merfolk if the latter is still around after rotation. Will blue get its broken spell? I sure hope so.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 04:15:47 PM by Fragamemnon »
hex

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #643 on: September 16, 2009, 04:21:16 PM »
Well, assuming they stick to the 5 planeswalkers per set rule, I guess the Blue planeswalker could be pretty awesome.  A preview card being shown on daily mtg tomorrow is supposedly "the most broken card printed in years" so take that for what it's worth.

Although, Shards had Nicol Bolas appear in the middle expansion.  So maybe the 3 planeswalkers we've already seen are all we're gonna get.  Who knows. 
yar

tehjaybo

« Reply #644 on: September 16, 2009, 05:36:16 PM »
Well, assuming they stick to the 5 planeswalkers per set rule, I guess the Blue planeswalker could be pretty awesome.  A preview card being shown on daily mtg tomorrow is supposedly "the most broken card printed in years" so take that for what it's worth.

Although, Shards had Nicol Bolas appear in the middle expansion.  So maybe the 3 planeswalkers we've already seen are all we're gonna get.  Who knows. 

I am interested to see what this amazingly broken card is, and I hope it's anything but green.  I have proxied a monored goblin deck that kills turn 5, and a Esper control/mill deck that does okay. 
HURR

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #645 on: September 16, 2009, 08:31:59 PM »
I've been fooling with a naya zoo style deck for standard and monowhite soldiers and monoblack vampires builds for casual play. So far so good with the zoo deck, it plays a bit like its extended brother and has plenty of pep to it. I need to actually test it more against real control though.
hex

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #646 on: September 16, 2009, 11:20:54 PM »
I just can't win a fucking draft on MGTO or IRL to save my life

why do I play this stupid fucking game
dap

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #647 on: September 16, 2009, 11:25:26 PM »
I just can't win a fucking draft on MGTO or IRL to save my life

why do I play this stupid fucking game

http://draft.bestiaire.org/

Practice drafting, dog.
yar

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #648 on: September 17, 2009, 01:02:37 AM »
http://draft.bestiaire.org/

Practice drafting, dog.

Fine. But...

Magic 2010
#   Name   Color   Rarity
1   Captain of the Watch    White    R
2   Shivan Dragon    Red    R
3   Earthquake    Red    R
4   Siege-Gang Commander    Red    R
5   Ant Queen    Green    R
6   Djinn of Wishes    Blue    R
7   Guardian Seraph    White    R
8   Fireball    Red    U
9   Royal Assassin    Black    R
10   Serra Angel    White    U

....doesn't make sense to me when Baneslayer Angel is a $25 card.
dap

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #649 on: September 17, 2009, 01:03:31 AM »
You know what's gotten me the furthest in a 2010 draft? A weird combo of Earthquake, Megrim and Burning Inquiry.
dap

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #650 on: September 17, 2009, 01:04:58 AM »

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU
yar

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #651 on: September 17, 2009, 01:07:33 AM »
wow, whoa! :hyper
dap

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #652 on: September 17, 2009, 01:10:23 AM »
Turn one bird/elf.  Turn two play the cobra before land drop, drop a fetchland to get another land.  Play a two drop.  Fucking gross implications.  Works with Rampant Growth and Harrow too.  Jesus Tittyfucking Christ this card is broken in all formats.
yar

billyofcourse

« Reply #653 on: September 17, 2009, 01:19:10 AM »
Turn one bird/elf.  Turn two play the cobra before land drop, drop a fetchland to get another land.  Play a two drop.  Fucking gross implications.  Works with Rampant Growth and Harrow too.  Jesus Tittyfucking Christ this card is broken in all formats.
unbelievably broken.  Seriously...after dropping it turn to in that scenario you have three available mana to spend in addition to the snake you just played.

turn three, 5 to 6 mana depending on if you have another fetch land

NOU

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #654 on: September 17, 2009, 01:20:25 AM »
Turn three Baneslayer Angel. 

TURN THREE BANESLAYER ANGEL.

I mean Jesus Fucking Christ.  Sooooooo broken.
yar

billyofcourse

« Reply #655 on: September 17, 2009, 01:27:34 AM »
Turn three Baneslayer Angel. 

TURN THREE BANESLAYER ANGEL.

I mean Jesus Fucking Christ.  Sooooooo broken.

I lol'd at the turn 3 violent ultimatum, literally blow up everything they've played so far.

ps....use that extra three mana on turn 2 to harrow.....4 more available mana after that that turn.

I'd honestly probably pass on the turn three baneslayer....odds are they by turn three they haven't used any of their creature kill yet, unless it was to get rid of the snake, in which case the baneslayer won't be dropping turn three as it is.  although, if it gets through and doesn't get blown off the board, a turn 3 baneslayer angel could be one of the most horrible things to ever happen to someone.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 01:31:09 AM by billyofcourse »
NOU

tehjaybo

« Reply #656 on: September 17, 2009, 02:01:47 AM »
Everyone better stock up on them creature removal spells.  Looks like the legs are prevailing this set.  Also fuck for the broken card to be green.  Fucking green.
HURR

billyofcourse

« Reply #657 on: September 17, 2009, 02:06:15 AM »
Everyone better stock up on them creature removal spells.  Looks like the legs are prevailing this set.  Also fuck for the broken card to be green.  Fucking green.

btw....I'm building mono green mana ramp elves post rotation lol

....in addition to esper control.
NOU

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #658 on: September 17, 2009, 02:17:43 AM »

b/g ramp control, dude.  Toss down lands to play your spells and keep them lands untapped to counter anything your bitch ass opponent does.

Still wanna see if there's gonna be a blue planeswalker, tho.
yar

billyofcourse

« Reply #659 on: September 17, 2009, 02:22:26 AM »

b/g ramp control, dude.  Toss down lands to play your spells and keep them lands untapped to counter anything your bitch ass opponent does.

Still wanna see if there's gonna be a blue planeswalker, tho.

I'm not thinking so on the blue planeswalker at least not in this set.  Maybe the next one.  If I was going to do blue green ramp control, I'd probably go all out bant so I'd have the option of path and day of judgement as well.
NOU