Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 346007 times)

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #480 on: June 19, 2009, 06:13:18 PM »
When did they remove Lightning Bolt from the game? Haven't played in years.
CBG

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #481 on: June 20, 2009, 01:55:16 AM »
5th Edition

tehjaybo

• Kentucky-Bore's Last Hope
« Reply #482 on: June 22, 2009, 12:01:13 PM »
EDIT: Just kidding.  It took the code now.  Yay!

:bow Free foil planeswalkers :bow2

« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 12:07:33 PM by tehjaybo »
HURR

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #483 on: June 22, 2009, 12:25:18 PM »
eh I got the game on XBLA. If some of you Borritos want a play through and I'm online message me or something.

How is it? i have 800 points in limbo. If enough people here would buy it, I'd jump in.
©ZH

tehjaybo

« Reply #484 on: June 22, 2009, 12:32:46 PM »
eh I got the game on XBLA. If some of you Borritos want a play through and I'm online message me or something.

How is it? i have 800 points in limbo. If enough people here would buy it, I'd jump in.

I'm enjoying it so far.  It's fairly simplified though.  A distinguished mentally-challenged monkey could play it, but you know the saying about monkeys, typewriters, and Shakespeare. 

Limited customization on decks is going to lead to cookie-cutter playstyles on XBL, which is going to lead to shit for originality, because there's going to be one deck type that everyone plays with exactly the same cards.  If you have been to a T2 tournament recently, you know exactly what this feels like.  Only when you play IRL, you have to buy the cards.  On the XBLA game, you just play a little longer, get some unlockables, and put them in your deck.

That being said, I'll probably be playing it when I get home.  I haven't activated my Gold account yet, but if someone wants to play, I might.  I'm gonna try to beat single player first though so I can  get all the unlockable cards.  But, I would like some two-headed ogre play.  Especially since I've been swinging for around 25-30 a turn with the deck I'm playing.  Green fatties yay.  A 12/12 bear is nothing to laugh about.
HURR

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
« Reply #485 on: June 22, 2009, 01:18:02 PM »

I'm enjoying it so far.  It's fairly simplified though.  A distinguished mentally-challenged monkey could play it, but you know the saying about monkeys, typewriters, and Shakespeare. 

Limited customization on decks is going to lead to cookie-cutter playstyles on XBL, which is going to lead to shit for originality, because there's going to be one deck type that everyone plays with exactly the same cards.  If you have been to a T2 tournament recently, you know exactly what this feels like.  Only when you play IRL, you have to buy the cards.  On the XBLA game, you just play a little longer, get some unlockables, and put them in your deck.

That being said, I'll probably be playing it when I get home.  I haven't activated my Gold account yet, but if someone wants to play, I might.  I'm gonna try to beat single player first though so I can  get all the unlockable cards.  But, I would like some two-headed ogre play.  Especially since I've been swinging for around 25-30 a turn with the deck I'm playing.  Green fatties yay.  A 12/12 bear is nothing to laugh about.

Yea, jaybo hit it on the head. Yea that green deck is nasty with the fatties. I hit with a 26/26 Grizzly Bears one game. Got an achievement for it too :)
XDF

tehjaybo

« Reply #486 on: June 22, 2009, 03:29:18 PM »

Yea, jaybo hit it on the head. Yea that green deck is nasty with the fatties. I hit with a 26/26 Grizzly Bears one game. Got an achievement for it too :)

I was playing one game against Jace with the green deck, and had ten lands out.  I used the card that gave a 2/2 wolf token for every forest you control, and then next turn double-overran.  Not to mention the two 5/4 wurms with the +1/+1 for every forest you control enchantments on them.  Let me do some quick calculations.

2 5/4 wurms with +10/+10
10 2/2 Wolf tokens

Everything gets +6/+6 and trample until end of turn

Swing out.

That's 42 DMG with just the two wurms, iirc.

80 with just the wolves.

That's 122 damage, trampling. 

Eat your heart out, Jace.
HURR

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #487 on: June 22, 2009, 03:34:31 PM »
Man that situation desperately cries out for a Fog. Or Evacuation.

Ganhyun

« Reply #488 on: June 22, 2009, 03:35:22 PM »

I was playing one game against Jace with the green deck, and had ten lands out.  I used the card that gave a 2/2 wolf token for every forest you control, and then next turn double-overran.  Not to mention the two 5/4 wurms with the +1/+1 for every forest you control enchantments on them.  Let me do some quick calculations.

2 5/4 wurms with +10/+10
10 2/2 Wolf tokens

Swing out.

80 with just the wolves.

Yea, my games never really lasted that long. Usually if I had 6-7 mana out the game was nearly over or over in the next 2-3 turns.  Although I will say that the second time through against the green deck you play with at the start is a bitch for me for some reason. The guy plays a land and monster every fracken turn.
XDF

Ganhyun

« Reply #489 on: June 22, 2009, 03:35:56 PM »
Man that situation desperately cries out for a Fog. Or Evacuation.

LOL. It does. I Know white gets Holy Day.
XDF

tehjaybo

« Reply #490 on: June 22, 2009, 03:37:43 PM »

2 5/4 wurms with +10/+10
10 2/2 Wolf tokens

Swing out.

80 with just the wolves.

Yea, my games never really lasted that long. Usually if I had 6-7 mana out the game was nearly over or over in the next 2-3 turns.  Although I will say that the second time through against the green deck you play with at the start is a bitch for me for some reason. The guy plays a land and monster every fracken turn.

At that point, I was just going for the achievement of getting 30+ life.  I had the artifact out where I gained one life for every green spell.  But yeah, the white deck pissed me off, because I'd swing, holy day.  Swing, holy day.  Sweet jesus, he can't have three....   Swing, HOLY FUCKING DAY.  Goddamn.
HURR

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #491 on: June 22, 2009, 04:02:25 PM »
lol elspeth kicking the turbo-fog  :lol

I haven't picked up the xbla version of the game yet, mainly because I have a hard time playing with decks that look even worse than my draft decks (much less my 5cc standard deck). I'm not saying they should have made decks with more rares or better cards, but decks that were better constructed with efficiency and curve in mind than what they are running with.
hex

tehjaybo

« Reply #492 on: June 22, 2009, 04:04:35 PM »
What I want, more than anything...  is a MTG game where you have basic cards from every set, with the possibility of unlocking everything else in that set by playing through it.  I want to play with any deck I put together. 

It'd be broken, yeah.  Hella broken.  But so much fun.
HURR

Ganhyun

« Reply #493 on: June 22, 2009, 04:16:04 PM »
What I want, more than anything...  is a MTG game where you have basic cards from every set, with the possibility of unlocking everything else in that set by playing through it.  I want to play with any deck I put together. 

It'd be broken, yeah.  Hella broken.  But so much fun.

I heard that originally something like that was to be an option for online play, but that they removed it to keep the game more easily accessible.

But honestly, I wonder how many people had to go and lookup how to do the 1 turn challenges.*

*I had to lookup one because I was overlooking something. :(
XDF

tehjaybo

« Reply #494 on: June 22, 2009, 04:30:35 PM »
I've only done the first one so far.  I stared at it for about five minutes before trying it, but I got it right on the first go.  I'm just kinda lazy when it comes to challenges.  I may go in and do them tonight.  But I think I'm going to just do single player first.  I have yet to lose a match.
HURR

Ganhyun

« Reply #495 on: June 22, 2009, 05:16:26 PM »
I've only done the first one so far.  I stared at it for about five minutes before trying it, but I got it right on the first go.  I'm just kinda lazy when it comes to challenges.  I may go in and do them tonight.  But I think I'm going to just do single player first.  I have yet to lose a match.

Some of the challenges are evil I tell you. Evil. If I hadn't of had a friend who did similar stuff in some cases I mighta been stumped on a few.
XDF

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #496 on: June 30, 2009, 04:13:19 AM »
eh? the challenges were fucking cake. Ive done all but one, most on the 1st try. I guess I have played the cardboard game for 14 years or so...

Im stuck on the one where youre playing the mono-blue deck. Cant figure out how to get that last point of damage in!

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #497 on: June 30, 2009, 04:38:20 AM »
Baneslayer Angel  

Creature - Angel   3WW
Flying, first strike, lifelink, protection from Demons and from Dragons
Some angels protect the meek and innocent. Others seek out and smite evil wherever it lurks.
Illus. Greg Staples #4/249   5/5

Captain of the Watch

Creature - Human Soldier 4WW   
Vigilance
Other Soldier creatures you control get +1/+1 and have vigilance.
When Captain of the Watch enters the battlefield, put three 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield.
Illus. Greg Staples #6/249   3/3

Hive Mind

Enchantment   6U
Whenever a player casts an instant or sorcery spell, each other player copies that spell. Each of those players may choose new targets for his or her copy.
"All consciousness is one, separated only by a thin veil of the physical." -Jace Beleren
Illus. Steve Argyle   

Elvish Archdruid

Creature - Elf Druid   1GG   
Other Elf creatures you control get +1/+1.
T: Add G to your mana pool for each Elf you control.
Illus. Karl Kopinski       2/2

Great Sable Stag

Creature - Elk   1GG
Great Sable Stag can't be countered.
Protection from blue and from black (This creature can't be blocked, targeted, dealt damage, or enchanted by anything blue or black.)
Ineffable and incorruptible.
Illus. Matt Cavotta   3/3

Protean Hydra

Creature - Hydra    XG
Protean Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
If damage would be dealt to Protean Hydra, prevent that damage and remove that many +1/+1 counters from it.
Whenever a +1/+1 counter is removed from Protean Hydra, put two +1/+1 counters on it at the beginning of the end step.
Illus. Jim Murray   0/0

WHAAAA
UK

Veidt

« Reply #498 on: June 30, 2009, 04:42:24 AM »
I can't understand this thread, for the life of me. This might sound like a distinguished mentally-challenged question, but what exactly is Magic: The Gathering? Sounds like a card game of some sort.

T234

« Reply #499 on: June 30, 2009, 04:50:54 AM »
It's complicated. Fragamemnon Formerly of Free Shoes University or Tehjaybo of the School of Undercosted Blue Spells will fill some blanks.

EDIT: And I forgot Scenester of The Tropical Island of Kiwi.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 04:53:31 AM by T234 »
UK

Veidt

« Reply #500 on: June 30, 2009, 04:52:14 AM »
Ok. :lol

I really have no idea what it is tho.

T234

« Reply #501 on: June 30, 2009, 04:55:49 AM »
It is complicated and we just discovered weed vaporization a week ago. That BTW, IS GLORIOUS
UK

Veidt

« Reply #502 on: June 30, 2009, 05:04:42 AM »
Sounds awesome. :lol

Ganhyun

« Reply #503 on: June 30, 2009, 11:38:49 AM »
Its pretty much a card game. Although there is an XBLA version thats much simpler as well.
XDF

tehjaybo

« Reply #504 on: June 30, 2009, 11:56:33 AM »
It's complicated.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Magic: The Gathering is a card game where the two (or more) players play as opposing wizards, and their decks of cards are considered their mind, from which they pull spells and creatures that they may use against the other player in order to reduce their life total to zero, make them run out of cards in their deck, or another alternate win strategy.  It is a strategy game, and a pretty fun one at that. 

Here's a few good links that explain the basis.  I'd link videos, but I'm at work and they've got it locked down tighter than Auschwitz in here.
http://www.howtodothings.com/hobbies/a3413-how-to-play-magic-the-gathering.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_2090329_play-magic-gathering.html

Official rulebooks:
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Article.aspx?x=magic/rules
HURR

tehjaybo

« Reply #505 on: June 30, 2009, 12:06:08 PM »
eh? the challenges were fucking cake. Ive done all but one, most on the 1st try. I guess I have played the cardboard game for 14 years or so...

Im stuck on the one where youre playing the mono-blue deck. Cant figure out how to get that last point of damage in!

I've been playing for 10+ years, so most of them weren't bad once I actually sat and thought about it.  Billyofcourse came over and we finished them the other night.  If you can't get the mono-blue one, let me know.

Captain of the Watch

Creature - Human Soldier 4WW   
Vigilance
Other Soldier creatures you control get +1/+1 and have vigilance.
When Captain of the Watch enters the battlefield, put three 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield.
Illus. Greg Staples #6/249   3/3
:drool   Insta-3 2/2's with Vigilance.  Kind of a high cost for much play, but it's definitely interesting.

Hive Mind

Enchantment   6U
Whenever a player casts an instant or sorcery spell, each other player copies that spell. Each of those players may choose new targets for his or her copy.
"All consciousness is one, separated only by a thin veil of the physical." -Jace Beleren
Illus. Steve Argyle   

:lol :lol :lol :lol Mivehind.  They're pulling cards from 4chan now.  AWESOME.  That enchantment would totally make for some fun games though... haha

Protean Hydra

Creature - Hydra    XG
Protean Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
If damage would be dealt to Protean Hydra, prevent that damage and remove that many +1/+1 counters from it.
Whenever a +1/+1 counter is removed from Protean Hydra, put two +1/+1 counters on it at the beginning of the end step.
Illus. Jim Murray   0/0

This makes me feel special in my no-no place.

Elvish Archdruid

Creature - Elf Druid   1GG   
Other Elf creatures you control get +1/+1.
T: Add G to your mana pool for each Elf you control.
Illus. Karl Kopinski       2/2

Welcome back, Priest of Titania!  You seem to have put on some weight...
HURR

Saint Cornelius

• Always rockin' the sawed-off wisdom.
« Reply #506 on: June 30, 2009, 02:21:13 PM »
It is complicated and we just discovered weed vaporization a week ago. That BTW, IS GLORIOUS

M:TG + ganja = pure gaming satisfaction
dap

Veidt

« Reply #507 on: June 30, 2009, 02:23:18 PM »
It's complicated.

Magic: The Gathering is a card game where the two (or more) players play as opposing wizards, and their decks of cards are considered their mind, from which they pull spells and creatures that they may use against the other player in order to reduce their life total to zero, make them run out of cards in their deck, or another alternate win strategy.  It is a strategy game, and a pretty fun one at that. 

Here's a few good links that explain the basis.  I'd link videos, but I'm at work and they've got it locked down tighter than Auschwitz in here.

Official rulebooks:

Well, that's one large world of Magic. I can see why people are so immersed in it.

tehjaybo

« Reply #508 on: June 30, 2009, 02:46:13 PM »
It's complicated.

Official rulebooks:

Well, that's one large world of Magic. I can see why people are so immersed in it.

It's a really fun game.  You should check it out, learn to play.  There are links earlier in the thread about Apprentice and Magic Workstation that let you play online for free.  It's a good, cheap way to start out.
HURR

Veidt

« Reply #509 on: June 30, 2009, 02:49:56 PM »
Sweet, I might actually check it out. Thanks for the info.

P.S.
Your avatar is epic :lol

tehjaybo

« Reply #510 on: June 30, 2009, 03:34:05 PM »
I'm pretty bad ass, I know. 

Waiting to take one with my new .45.  Mmm.
HURR

tehjaybo

« Reply #511 on: July 02, 2009, 02:44:59 AM »

1:41am
Billy
anyways
bed is summoning me.

Jason
good plan

Billy
and since I'll be summoning sick

1:42am
Billy
I won't be able to do anything
until my next turn
which will be sometime tomorrow

Jason
lawl
pz

Billy
god
did I really just say that?

Jason
yes
yes you did
and I might paste it to EB

1:43am
Billy
we shall never speak of this again >_>

Jason
until we speak of it in the MTG thread, that is

Billy
no
lol
never means never
HURR

Ganhyun

« Reply #512 on: July 02, 2009, 04:21:14 PM »

Billy
anyways
bed is summoning me.

Jason
good plan

Billy
and since I'll be summoning sick

Billy
I won't be able to do anything
until my next turn
which will be sometime tomorrow

Jason
lawl
pz

Billy
god
did I really just say that?

Jason
yes
yes you did
and I might paste it to EB

Billy
we shall never speak of this again >_>

Jason
until we speak of it in the MTG thread, that is

Billy
no
lol
never means never

:lol owned.
XDF

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #513 on: July 02, 2009, 05:18:52 PM »
Would have been funnier if he said he was going to tap his dick
fat

tehjaybo

« Reply #514 on: July 02, 2009, 05:24:51 PM »
Just because you want to watch.
HURR

T234

« Reply #515 on: July 02, 2009, 05:27:44 PM »
UK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #516 on: July 02, 2009, 05:28:15 PM »
Just because you want to watch.

Wouldn't you
fat

tehjaybo

« Reply #517 on: July 02, 2009, 05:29:09 PM »
Hushyamouf.
HURR

tehjaybo

« Reply #518 on: July 02, 2009, 05:43:07 PM »
LAWDY LOOK AT THEM SPOILERS. 

Good shit.
HURR

Kara

« Reply #519 on: July 02, 2009, 06:56:04 PM »
Exile still throws me off when I read it. fml

tehjaybo

« Reply #520 on: July 12, 2009, 11:23:07 PM »
2010 prerelease party last night in Richmond.  It went pretty well, with a booster draft.  I drafted a black/white deck that should have been alright, had people not had GODDRAFTS.  One kid (given, he wasn't so good) drafted TWO BoP'S I mean WHAT the fuck?!  And apparently they were passed to him.

Anyway, I got an Abyssal Spectre, a couple 'thopters, holy and unholy strengths, lifelinks, I mean all in all it should have been an okay deck.

I got rocked.

But, I did a little better in standard.  my Mill deck is being tweaked even more, with some of the UUUUU CC cards.  Hit those with Sanity Grinding, and holy shit look out.  It's been going for about 20 quite regularly here lately.  Not to mention the Twincasts that we put in it, AND the four Cryptic Commands that Billyofcourse is letting me use..  It's gone from Merfolk mill to control Mill and I fucking love it.  WHAM BAM THANKYAMAAM.
HURR

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #521 on: July 13, 2009, 01:07:47 PM »

Played in the pre-release sealed constructed tourney over the weekend. It's been a while since I felt like such a dork.
dap

Kara

« Reply #522 on: July 13, 2009, 10:45:53 PM »
Sheeeeee-it 2010 came out already?

T234

« Reply #523 on: July 13, 2009, 11:19:43 PM »
Karakand: As Behind The Times As A Ben Howland Offense
UK

Kara

« Reply #524 on: July 13, 2009, 11:55:30 PM »

T234

« Reply #525 on: July 16, 2009, 04:57:45 PM »
So I made a LD/Sligh deck that I believe could run with just about anything.

Tehjaybo, I do hereby challenge you to a Magic: The Gathering duel!

UK

Ganhyun

« Reply #526 on: July 16, 2009, 05:01:37 PM »
So I made a LD/Sligh deck that I believe could run with just about anything.

Tehjaybo, I do hereby challenge you to a Magic: The Gathering duel!

It's on!

popcorn.gif

XDF

tehjaybo

« Reply #527 on: July 16, 2009, 05:06:04 PM »
What colors is it? 

And I don't know if you wanna run against my RGB Stompy deck.  It's gotten pretty good. 

And we revamped my mill deck.  Average Sanity Grinding for 20, not to mention Twincasts.   :o :o :o

If you use Ball Lightnings and Lightning Bolts, :bow

I'm thinking of making red/green sligh with BLs and LBs,  and everything else that I can throw in for hurt.  Brandon made one that has a turn 5 kill with a crap hand.
HURR

T234

« Reply #528 on: July 16, 2009, 05:26:08 PM »
RED DECK WINS! RED DECK WINS!

The deck is really efficient at mana denial too. I don't have bolts, or ball lightnings. I have their little brothers [Shard Volley, Spark Elemental, and only one Keldon Marauders (Higher Damage-Mana ratio than Ball Lightning  but I would run 'em both if I had both), but I want more of those. On the flip, I am packing Pillage, Crack the Earth, Simian Spirit Guide (to enable turn two Stone Rain or Pillage), Seismic Spike, and (soon to be) Strip Mine.] So far it has worked out pretty well. I made a guy with an Isocron Scepter with Orim's chant on it scoop, so it is pretty good at mana denial I think.
UK

tehjaybo

« Reply #529 on: July 16, 2009, 05:27:50 PM »
Ball Lightning http://www.trollandtoad.com/p79956.html
$7.19 ea.

BUY BUY BUY
HURR

T234

« Reply #530 on: July 16, 2009, 05:34:43 PM »
That's more money than I have in my bank account total :(
UK

tehjaybo

« Reply #531 on: July 16, 2009, 05:37:26 PM »
 :-\

Next time you come this way, make sure it's on a Friday.  You can come play Standard in Richmond with me and Billy.  We both have a few extra WHAM BAM standard decks.
HURR

T234

« Reply #532 on: July 16, 2009, 05:40:55 PM »
I'm thinking about making my Esper deck standard legal.

EDIT: Like turn one Salvage Titan, T2: salvage Slasher like.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 05:46:55 PM by T234 »
UK

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #533 on: July 16, 2009, 05:50:27 PM »
all-in red like that T234 is nutty good in extended now, will be even better after the fetchlands rotate.

esper is going to be really strong after the lorwyn stuff rotates. It's done very well in block constructed online since Alara Reborn came out. Personally I'm just playing cheap combo elfball until October. It's really powerful now with the new Priest of Titania-style elf lord.
hex

T234

« Reply #534 on: July 16, 2009, 05:57:42 PM »
Man elfball is hard business to beat. Especially if Overruns are run. Particularly with Hunting Triad and Elvish Promenade.

If you don't draw a Volcanic Fallout or Infest, it's ballgame on turn four with Overrun.
UK

Kara

« Reply #535 on: July 16, 2009, 06:01:24 PM »
RED DECK WINS! RED DECK WINS!

Best card in Magic is Mountain. That's it that's my post.

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #536 on: July 16, 2009, 06:01:32 PM »
Anyone have a midnight madness draft going on this evening? I'm going to attend my local one, play a match or two, maybe pick up a starter deck in hopes I can convince my friends to give it a shot. I miss playing with my buds until the wee hours  :'(
dap

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #537 on: July 17, 2009, 07:17:52 AM »
Just got back from the draft - man I haven't geeked out this hard & this late in a while  :-*

Won two games, lost the third. Brought home two boosters, w00t! Megrim + Burning Inquiry and an Earthquake = that's game, boys. Or should I say, ladies? There were actually a few there playing - total nerdlingers, but not horrifyingly so ;)

dap

tehjaybo

« Reply #538 on: July 17, 2009, 11:44:07 AM »
Billyofcourse is buying a booster box of 2010 today, and we're going to open it before the standard tourney tonight.   :lol  Hoping for Ball Lightnings, Lightning Bolts, RG and UB dual lands, other burn magic, and maybe a playset of new art ponders.  Here's hoping!

Also prolly doing the booster draft tonight after standard.
HURR

tehjaybo

« Reply #539 on: July 17, 2009, 11:46:10 AM »
ALSO:  DCI Memebers!

Post your ranking!

http://webapp.wizards.com/ratings.aspx
HURR