Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 349927 times)

tehjaybo

• Kentucky-Bore's Last Hope
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #540 on: July 17, 2009, 11:47:34 AM »
Magic
Composite (as of 2009-07-13)
1564 rating   40 matches   11 events   
    195586  All   90525  North America   81678  United States   917  US-Kentucky   278  Lexington, KY

Constructed (as of 2009-07-13)
1547 rating   25 matches   7 events   
    130996  All   58794  North America   53200  United States   688  US-Kentucky   194  Lexington, KY

Limited (as of 2009-07-13)
1581 rating   15 matches   4 events   
    111121  All   50766  North America   45482  United States   549  US-Kentucky   170  Lexington, KY

Total (as of 2009-07-13)
1539 rating   40 matches   11 events   
    203597  All   92934  North America   83854  United States   934  US-Kentucky   282  Lexington, KY   

:-\  I play too much casual magic.
HURR

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #541 on: July 17, 2009, 04:03:44 PM »
You son of a bitch I JUST filed my card away in the garage. Next time I'm out there I'll grab my number.

tehjaybo

« Reply #542 on: July 17, 2009, 04:06:55 PM »
You son of a bitch I JUST filed my card away in the garage. Next time I'm out there I'll grab my number.

haha...  if you call the store you usually play at, they should have it filed.
HURR

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #543 on: July 17, 2009, 04:15:04 PM »
I haven't played under my DCI# in probably half a decade.  :-\

tehjaybo

« Reply #544 on: July 17, 2009, 04:15:55 PM »
 :lol Ouch.  Well I guess not then, eh? 

Also, anyone else going to a release party tonight? 
HURR

Saint Cornelius

• Always rockin' the sawed-off wisdom.
« Reply #545 on: July 17, 2009, 04:29:38 PM »
Also, anyone else going to a release party tonight? 

Probably but I'm so tired from last night... I think I'm going to take a nap
dap

tehjaybo

« Reply #546 on: July 18, 2009, 12:01:20 AM »
So instead of playing my UB mill deck, LIKE I SHOULD HAVE BECAUSE IT WAS BADASS TONIGHT, I played my RGB Jund deck, which got utterly fucked in the asshole.

Then, for draft, I drafted RG sligh beat, which is getting owned because I either draw a shit ton of land, or only three when my good stuff takes 4 to 6.

Fml :-/
HURR

jiji

« Reply #547 on: July 21, 2009, 02:38:25 PM »
I have rejoined the ranks of nerdlingers. 8)  I last played Magic back in 1995, not long after Ice Age came out.  Over the weekend I bought the blue and red M10 precons and some boosters.  I came out with some nice rares, like a couple of Birds of Paradise and a Ball Lightning.  I really don't want to buy in too much beyond what I have, 'cause I plan on playing casually only, but we'll see how well that goes.  :-\  I played a few games with a friend over the weekend.  The precons are really well-constructed and fun to use as they are. And M10 as a whole feels really comfortable to come home to, as compared to how esoteric the expansions seem to get.
OTL

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #548 on: July 21, 2009, 03:22:01 PM »
My RDW beat my nemesis (the guy who said he would be surprised if ever I beat him at the game of Magic: the Gathering) last night pretty handily. Had him drawing and discarding (due to having nothing but a Megrim on the board) pretty efficiently. I need to dump the Crack the Earths for something better and the Shard Volleys have gotta get switched out for Bolts. the Flame Rifts are getting switched out for Hellspark Elementals or more Keldon Marauders. I also NEED MORE BROWBEAT IN MAH LIFE. This Thursday, I will order some cards, vaporize some weed, and pass the fuck out.
UK

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #549 on: July 21, 2009, 05:02:47 PM »
And M10 as a whole feels really comfortable to come home to, as compared to how esoteric the expansions seem to get.

Yeah, I totally agree. Shit was getting positively Pokemon-esque for a minute there.
dap

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #550 on: August 03, 2009, 02:41:06 PM »
I will be going to the San Antonio PTQ if anyone cares.

tehjaybo

« Reply #551 on: August 03, 2009, 02:56:44 PM »
Really?  That does interest me.  I've always wanted to go to a PTQ, but I know I'd get annihilated.

Also, since this thread hasn't been up here in a while, what is everyone playing at the moment? 

I've got two main Standard decks right now.  U/B Mill, feat Sanity Grindings for 20+ consistently + Twincast, and RGB Jund deck with Bloodbraids and Broodmates and Blitz Hellons, oh my!
HURR

tehjaybo

« Reply #552 on: August 03, 2009, 02:58:52 PM »
Also, fun story.  BillyOfCourse and I went to Dayton, OH on Saturday, and we thought it wouldn't be a full day if we didn't buy some cards.  We got three fat packs, four boosters, and a white 2010 precon. 

We pulled 3 dual lands, 5 Great Stable Stags, Honor of the pure, and three more pages of rares, including a foil Open The Vaults. 

FTW.

But I STILL have yet to pull a Ball Lightning...  even though we've bought a booster box and 6+ fat packs from 2010.   :-\
HURR

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #553 on: August 03, 2009, 03:12:53 PM »
I'll trade you a ball for any dual land other than the Red-Black or Green-White one.

I'm gonna get creamed at the PTQ, but I really want to just go and have fun.

I'm going to be playing my warp world deck.

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #554 on: August 03, 2009, 03:13:17 PM »
Also, since this thread hasn't been up here in a while, what is everyone playing at the moment? 

Shitloads of 2010.
dap

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #555 on: August 03, 2009, 03:14:07 PM »

I grabbed a Warp World while drafting last Friday. I'd love to know how you're going to use it!
dap

tehjaybo

« Reply #556 on: August 03, 2009, 03:18:19 PM »
I'll trade you a ball for any dual land other than the Red-Black or Green-White one.

I'm gonna get creamed at the PTQ, but I really want to just go and have fun.

If you've got an excess of Black-Reds, we're trading for them. 
HURR

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #557 on: August 03, 2009, 03:19:54 PM »
Yeah I have two extra. I'll trade you two for two green red duals. Or Black-blues.

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #558 on: August 03, 2009, 03:23:49 PM »

I grabbed a Warp World while drafting last Friday. I'd love to know how you're going to use it!

BIRDS OF PARADISE

4 Farhaven Elf
4 Bloodbraid Elf
4 Murderous Redcap
4 Siege-Gang
1 Broodmate Dragon
1 Hellkite Overlord
4 Bogardan Hellkite
2 Mulldrifter

4 Warp World
4 Trace of Abundence
4 Fertile Ground

21 Land

The idea is that everything other than warp world is a permanent. When you warp on turn 4 or 5 you have at least 8 permanents to your opponents 4-5. And on top of that you will be able to put most of your stuff out after the warp.

On top of that the deck is built so that your cards have come into play abilities such as the bogarden hellkite and redcaps. So after you warp you should be able to clear the board.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 03:27:49 PM by demi »

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #559 on: August 03, 2009, 03:26:49 PM »
Someone add birds of paradise to that list. I forgot them.

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #560 on: August 03, 2009, 03:35:19 PM »
That sounds interesting...
dap

tehjaybo

« Reply #561 on: August 03, 2009, 03:50:36 PM »
FoC, I think we have two Blue-Black duals up for trade.  What would get you to throw in a BL or two?

EDIT: Also, Lorwyn Reflecting Pools.  Billy doesn't want the Ball Lightnings, but I do...   :teehee
HURR

tehjaybo

« Reply #562 on: August 03, 2009, 04:04:53 PM »
Also, people need to post their DCI numbers, or at least their ranking in their area.  I'm interested here.
HURR

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #563 on: August 03, 2009, 04:09:27 PM »
FoC, I think we have two Blue-Black duals up for trade.  What would get you to throw in a BL or two?

EDIT: Also, Lorwyn Reflecting Pools.  Billy doesn't want the Ball Lightnings, but I do...   :teehee

I only have one ball lightening.

How many relentless rats do you have?
Do you have any volcanic fallouts for trade?
Path to Exiles?

tehjaybo

« Reply #564 on: August 03, 2009, 04:11:38 PM »

I only have one ball lightening.

How many relentless rats do you have?
Do you have any volcanic fallouts for trade?
Path to Exiles?

Most of the stuff I'll have to go through our boxes once I actually get home.  I do know that we don't have any Paths, though.
HURR

tehjaybo

« Reply #565 on: August 03, 2009, 09:12:22 PM »
we do indeed have two blue/black duals for trade.
HURR

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #566 on: August 03, 2009, 11:16:45 PM »
Do you any of you have any goofball multiplayer styles of play worth sharing? I just started playing what I guess is called "Mini-Masters"... a fun way to play around with the boosters instead of just cracking 'em open.

Each player opens two booster packs. Add three of each color land to it, and that's it! You play with what you got. For spice, each player can throw in a booster pack for the winner to keep.

It's goofy but it's a nice change o' pace.  :P
dap

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #567 on: August 03, 2009, 11:25:15 PM »
Do you any of you have any goofball multiplayer styles of play worth sharing? I just started playing what I guess is called "Mini-Masters"... a fun way to play around with the boosters instead of just cracking 'em open.

Each player opens two booster packs. Add three of each color land to it, and that's it! You play with what you got. For spice, each player can throw in a booster pack for the winner to keep.

read about EDH

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #568 on: August 04, 2009, 12:26:47 AM »
EDH?
dap

Kara

« Reply #569 on: August 04, 2009, 02:01:00 AM »
Mental Magic is where it's at.

Scorned Egotist you are a land.

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #570 on: August 04, 2009, 10:04:10 AM »
Official Elder Dragon Highlander (EDH) Rules

Deck Construction Rules
Players must choose a legendary creature as the "General" for their deck. Explain
The General's mana cost defines what colour of mana symbols may appear on cards in the deck. Details
An Example of what cards are/aren't allowed in a three colour deck.

A deck may not generate mana outside its colours.
Anything which would generate mana of an illegal colour generates colourless mana instead.

An EDH deck must contain exactly 100 cards, including the General.
With the exception of basic lands, no two cards in the deck may have the same english name.
EDH is played with vintage legal cards, with two exceptions:
cards are legal as of their set's prerelease
Shahrazad is legal for play in EDH

Play rules
Generals begin the game in Exile.
Being a General is not a characteristic[MTG CR201], it is a property of the card.
As such, "Generalness" cannot be copied or overwritten by continuous effects, and does not change with control of the card.

Examples: A Body Double copying a General in a graveyard is not a General. A General which is affected by Cytoshape, or is face down, is still a General.

Combat Damage dealt by a General to a player is called General Damage. If, at any point, a player has been dealt 21 points of General Damage by the same General, they lose the game. Explain

While a General is in exile, it may be played. As an additional cost to play your General this way, you must pay {2} for each previous time you have played it this way.

If a General would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, its owner may exile it instead. (This is a replacement effect: the creature never goes to the graveyard and will not trigger such abilities)

Players begin the game with 40 life.

The first time a player takes a paris mulligan, they draw 7 cards (instead of 6). The second mulligan is to 6, and so forth.

tehjaybo

« Reply #571 on: August 04, 2009, 12:08:26 PM »

We do something with some of our friends where we pull out 12 random stupid good enchantments, then roll a D12 at the beginning of the game, and then roll a D6 to see how many turns the enchantment stays out.  One turn is ticked down for every player turn.  The enchantment counts for everyone as though it were theirs, but can not be removed from the game with any card.  It gets kinda funny. 
Necropotence :drool

And Mental Magic  :-X

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I just suck at it, it's really fun if you can remember older cards.   :-\
[close]
HURR

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #572 on: August 04, 2009, 01:06:46 PM »

Yeah I looked up the site that you're quoting from and... I still don't get it. What is a "general"?

We do something with some of our friends where we pull out 12 random stupid good enchantments, then roll a D12 at the beginning of the game, and then roll a D6 to see how many turns the enchantment stays out.  One turn is ticked down for every player turn.  The enchantment counts for everyone as though it were theirs, but can not be removed from the game with any card.  It gets kinda funny. 

That sounds fun! I'll have to try that sometime.
dap

tehjaybo

« Reply #573 on: August 04, 2009, 03:29:37 PM »
FoC, we have two Blue-Black duals for trade, and 6 Relentless Rats from 2010, maybe more from other sets if I actually look. 

Have any messengers?  I don't think you can PM on here.
HURR

Kara

« Reply #574 on: August 04, 2009, 05:21:50 PM »
And Mental Magic  :-X

I just suck at it, it's really fun if you can remember older cards.   :-\
[close]

We usually played with a laptop and granted everyone 2 "look ups" per game that couldn't last more than 2 minutes.

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #575 on: August 04, 2009, 06:55:24 PM »
FoC, we have two Blue-Black duals for trade, and 6 Relentless Rats from 2010, maybe more from other sets if I actually look. 

Have any messengers?  I don't think you can PM on here.

Messengers? I can get and reply to messages.

Do you have any volcanic fallouts? I'm trying to find something equivalent to the ball lightening.

tehjaybo

« Reply #576 on: August 06, 2009, 11:31:59 AM »

Yeah I looked up the site that you're quoting from and... I still don't get it. What is a "general"?

That sounds fun! I'll have to try that sometime.

I forgot to add, when one enchantment ticks out, you roll the D12 again for a new one.
HURR

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #577 on: August 06, 2009, 09:32:21 PM »
I got your message, but I can't respond. I used to be able to. Not sure what happened. Anyway I'm still up for the trade if you are.

What kind of deck are you building?

billyofcourse

« Reply #578 on: August 07, 2009, 02:49:48 AM »
I got your message, but I can't respond. I used to be able to. Not sure what happened. Anyway I'm still up for the trade if you are.

I think the question would be what kind of decks are tehjaybo, myself, and our friend brandon not building.  We currently have jund/mannequine, sig/jund, sanity grinding/mill, time sieve, cruel control, naya/turbo fog, combo elves, master transmuter, and bant/finest hour. (given a few decks have to have stuff swapped back and forth, but we're taking 8 complete decks with us tomorrow to play.
NOU

tehjaybo

« Reply #579 on: August 07, 2009, 12:22:15 PM »

I think the question would be what kind of decks are tehjaybo, myself, and our friend brandon not building.  We currently have jund/mannequine, sig/jund, sanity grinding/mill, time sieve, cruel control, naya/turbo fog, combo elves, master transmuter, and bant/finest hour. (given a few decks have to have stuff swapped back and forth, but we're taking 8 complete decks with us tomorrow to play.

This. 

We just use more Black/Red duals than we have.  And we have around 10 of the Blue/Black, I think.  My email is tehjaybo@gmail.com and I'm usually on the chat there, if you have Gmail.

Also, nvm on the Ball Lightning.  We pulled one from a pack, and then obtained three foil 2010 ones.  FTW!
HURR

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #580 on: August 07, 2009, 09:38:06 PM »
The second pack of M10 that I opened had a Ball Lightning in it. :D

My friend's first pack had a Baneslayer Angel in it though :lol 
UK

Kara

« Reply #581 on: August 08, 2009, 04:19:37 AM »
WTF Baneslayer is a mythic???

tehjaybo

« Reply #582 on: August 11, 2009, 12:34:04 PM »
WTF Baneslayer is a mythic???

Yarp. 

Also, Maelstrom Archangel + 5C Cruel Control = Swing for 5, free Cruel Ultimatum.  Holy shit, how are you going to recover from that.  We're running that right now, as well as a combo elves deck that sets off turn two on a DECENT AT BEST hand.  Jesus Jones...  So good.
HURR

jiji

« Reply #583 on: August 14, 2009, 02:33:13 PM »
Bought my first singles since getting back in. :hyper

- 2x Indestructibility, Magic 2010
 - 3x Lightning Bolt, Magic 2010
 - 2x Lightwielder Paladin, Magic 2010
 - 3x Razorfoot Griffin, Magic 2010
 - 3x Rhox Pikemaster, Magic 2010
 - 4x White Knight, Magic 2010
 - 4x Serra Angel, Magic 2010
 - 4x Sigiled Paladin, Shards of Alara
OTL

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #584 on: August 14, 2009, 05:22:50 PM »
Glad people are picking up on comboelves. Magic is best when people are keeping aggro honest with hilariously bomby combo decks.
hex

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #585 on: August 14, 2009, 06:34:57 PM »
Bought my first singles since getting back in. :hyper

- 2x Indestructibility, Magic 2010
 - 3x Lightning Bolt, Magic 2010
 - 2x Lightwielder Paladin, Magic 2010
 - 3x Razorfoot Griffin, Magic 2010
 - 3x Rhox Pikemaster, Magic 2010
 - 4x White Knight, Magic 2010
 - 4x Serra Angel, Magic 2010
 - 4x Sigiled Paladin, Shards of Alara

I would have sold you all that for less. :(

Anyone need any singles?

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #586 on: August 31, 2009, 06:04:06 PM »
Did anyone bother to reserve a copy of this "From the Vaults: Exiled"... I dunno, is it a BOOSTER pack or something? 15 cards, all banned or restricted... reprinted, foil style. MSRP = $34. Local stores selling them for over $100 ON THE DAY IT CAME OUT. :(
dap

tehjaybo

« Reply #587 on: August 31, 2009, 08:08:47 PM »
Did anyone bother to reserve a copy of this "From the Vaults: Exiled"... I dunno, is it a BOOSTER pack or something? 15 cards, all banned or restricted... reprinted, foil style. MSRP = $34. Local stores selling them for over $100 ON THE DAY IT CAME OUT. :(

It had been rumored that would happen since it was announced.  I mean, come on.  There were some fuck-awesome cards in that.  Such as my personal all-time favorite, Tinker.  Jesus christ, the chaos I caused with my Tinker deck...  I worked on that bastard for five years perfecting it, only to have BillyOfCourse come and build one in a week or two that put mine to shame.    :-\

ALSO HEY, there was a PTQ this weekend in Cinci.  I don't know if they have multiple PTQs at one time or what, but if so, did anyone go?  How did The Bore represent? 

And I'm still waiting on DCI numbers for you losers!   >:( >:( >:(  Post 'em!

And since my posts aren't anything unless they are broken thoughts spewing from my head before I forget them...  what is everyone running nowadays?  How are you gonna be affected by ZENDIKARRRRR? 

*Cruel Control: We're losing so many things from this deck that we already took it apart.  It broke my damn heart, too.   :'(  Cryptics, Vivids, Reflecting Pools, filter lands...  the land base was completely raped.
*Sygg Jund/Mannequin Jund:  Losing the cards from the namesake, both the Sygg River Cutthroat, and the Makeshift Mannequin.  Not to mention filter lands.  I tried a build without these, it hurt me to play it.
*Mill:  We recently reworked my Mill deck to play slower, but with more control.  The biggest loss it will his will be the Sanity Grindings and Cryptic Commands.  I think that it's possible to make it through, but we'll have to see what happens.
*GB Elves:  I'm not fully sure what is rotating out from this deck, but I know that the GW version is losing some key players, IE Wilt-Leaf Liege. 
*Bant/Finest Hour:  I don't think we're losing much out of this, really.  I can't be sure, because I'm not sitting here looking at a list, but yeah.

Other decks that will be dying a slow, horrible death with Zendikar's release:
*Faeries: I will be so sad to see these go....  No really!  No sarcasm, not here!
:drudge :supergay :supergay :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :supergay :supergay :drudge

:piss :piss :piss GOD FUCKING DAMN FAERIES :piss2 :piss2 :piss2
[close]
*5 Color Control:  I'm intrigued to see what the 5CC players will be switching to.  The Vivid/Pool + Filters land base was what allowed this to happen.

Also: RIP Anathemancer, unless ZEN unleashes the non-basic land HURT.
HURR

tehjaybo

« Reply #588 on: August 31, 2009, 08:11:50 PM »
Also, for anyone from both MagicBore and TheAreaSurroundingKentucky-Bore, the KentuckyBore Magic Crew will be heading to Louisville for the ZENDIKAR prerelease, so if you're thinking about hitting one up, you should go to Louisville, and we can all hang out and do some trading. 

Pictures (and clothing) optional.
HURR

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #589 on: August 31, 2009, 08:22:55 PM »
I went to an Urza's Saga expansion release tournament in Syracuse, NY with 2 friends of mine. Starter deck with 2 boosters. I had a good time.

Good luck.  :)
©ZH

Kara

« Reply #590 on: September 01, 2009, 01:06:41 AM »

Crap I knew I forgot to do something.

Kara

« Reply #591 on: September 01, 2009, 01:13:16 AM »
 :omg :omg :omg

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #592 on: September 01, 2009, 05:16:43 AM »
when do we get the lowdown on Zendikar?

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #593 on: September 01, 2009, 09:45:09 AM »
http://mtgsalvation.com/zendikar-spoiler.html

Blood Extractor - BB
Creature - Vampire Spirit   
Blood Extractor can't block.
Blood Extractor has haste if an opponent has 10 life or less.
Landfall - Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, you may return Blood Abomination from your graveyard onto the battlefield.

OH MY GOD!!!

Lavaball Trap - 6RR
Instant - Trap   
If an opponent had two or more lands enter the battlefield under his or her control this turn, you may pay 3RR rather than pay Lavaball Trap’s casting cost.
Destroy two target lands. Lavaball Trap deals 4 damage to each creature.

JESUS!!

tehjaybo

« Reply #594 on: September 01, 2009, 12:48:52 PM »
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle

Land    Rare
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle enters the battlefield tapped.
Whenever a Mountain enters the battlefield under your control, if you control five other Mountains, Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
{T}: Add {R} to your mana pool.

Hellooooooooooooooooooo mono-red comeback.
HURR

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #595 on: September 01, 2009, 12:59:13 PM »
I *really* do not like taplands in mono-red, and a tapland that needs five other lands in mono-red? Man, if the dude isn't dead by the time you hit six lands playing as mono-red you lose anyway, this thing isn't going to help.

out of the new cards spoiled today the only one I really like is Blood Extractor, but even then BB is a PITA thing to hit. The one B enchantment isn't that bad either, but heaven help me if I ever play a deck with zombies.
hex

tehjaybo

« Reply #596 on: September 01, 2009, 02:28:34 PM »
I *really* do not like taplands in mono-red, and a tapland that needs five other lands in mono-red? Man, if the dude isn't dead by the time you hit six lands playing as mono-red you lose anyway, this thing isn't going to help.

Wat.

Turn one, that is not bad.  Actually, turn two or three that isn't terrible.  So what, you don't get that FIRST TURN LIGHTNING BOLT.  No big.  Unless ZEN brings out some amazing amount of burn, those early game kills with mono-red aren't going to happen anyway.  The beefiest thing in mono-red right now is Ball Lightning, and that's turn 3 minimum currently, not to mention it's a one-time FRAGILE six damage with legs.  Valakut allows not only mana accel, but also spot creature removal for late game, DD to the dome, or if nothing else, an uncounterable source of damage for whatever purpose, given the game goes past turn 5. 

What decks that aren't rotating out with Lolowyn can kill by turn 5?  Unless there's some crazy stuff that I've just completely missed, I don't see it happening.  Even an amazing Jund hand (and I'm talking perfect) lasts until at LEAST turn 5, and that's with filters, pools, and vivids.  5CC takes forever to set up.  Combo elves, while it can set off turn 2 or 3 (rarely) is rotating (Nettle Sentinel, being the mana accel backbone). 

Also, it doesn't require five mountains to be in play.  But IF there are, then boom you get a bonus for playing that land that would be rotting in your hand otherwise. 

With ZENDIKAR, I'm feeling a return to the mono-colored decks.  I'm also feeling a dependency on land.  Whether it be destroying land, or playing land, just by the feel of some of the mechanics (Landfall, ALSO If an opponent had two or more lands enter the battlefield under his or her control this turn, you may pay 3{R}{R} rather than pay Lavaball Trap’s casting cost.), it looks like they're going back to the days where Stone Rain was a bitch of a card.  I feel a bigger dependency on taking out other peoples' land, while keeping your own up as well.

What I'm saying is, I disagree.
HURR

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #597 on: September 01, 2009, 02:42:01 PM »
I think what frag is saying (and I agree with) is that while it's cool and useful, it's not likely to be game changing in any situation I can think of.  Think about it- you have to have five mountains AND the land out in play, and THEN any subsequent mountains you play are lightning bolts in addition.  Even if mono or splash decks make a comeback (a reasonable expectation in all likelihood) you're talking about seeing probably 1/3 of your mana base in play in order to start reaping benefits.  In other words, probably just not practical to be honest.
yar

tehjaybo

« Reply #598 on: September 01, 2009, 03:02:53 PM »
Hmh...  I'm still thinking along the lines of the ridiculous 24-26 land bases, I didn't think about going back to 16-18 lands for mono-colors... My bad.  I see what you're talking about now.  I'll still wait until we get the rest of the spoiler, though, before making a huge decision.  I still think it's a possibility that people may be running 18-21 lands in a mono color deck to 'sploit this Landfall stuff.  There are effects for when lands are played, and a fair amount of them as well.  I think that decks may run land heavy just to go crazy with some of that stuff, and if that's the case, given a land drop isn't missed, it could be potential game finisher, post turn 6, given that it goes on another turn or two, simply because of the extra 6-9 damage. 
HURR

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #599 on: September 01, 2009, 03:20:33 PM »
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle

Land    Rare
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle enters the battlefield tapped.
Whenever a Mountain enters the battlefield under your control, if you control five other Mountains, Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
{T}: Add {R} to your mana pool.

Hellooooooooooooooooooo mono-red comeback.

Warp world with this land means game over.