Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 342917 times)

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #420 on: May 12, 2009, 02:39:54 PM »
Basking Root was the fucking shit. Man I miss U/G Madness...

I don't. Fuck netdecks and everyone playing 'em.

boo hoo, guess you don't like WINNING
yar

Saint Cornelius

• Always rockin' the sawed-off wisdom.
« Reply #421 on: May 12, 2009, 03:02:35 PM »
boo hoo, guess you don't like WINNING

I just think it's stupid that everyone plays the same fucking decks, where's the strategy with that? It's just the luck of the draw at that point.

I guess that's why I like draft so much; even though there are archetypes that people tend to gravitate towards, it's very rare to play against the same decks over and over and over again.
dap

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #422 on: May 12, 2009, 03:13:02 PM »
Yeah, limited is a lot of fun- but I'm a fair to mediocre limited player and a pretty good constructed player.

The problem is that there are only so many effective archetypes out there for decks, and new cards pretty much will get shoehorned into pre-existing archetypes out of habit.  That and wizards sometimes sucks at designing new sets.
yar

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #423 on: May 12, 2009, 03:45:28 PM »
Yeah, limited is a lot of fun- but I'm a fair to mediocre limited player and a pretty good constructed player.

The problem is that there are only so many effective archetypes out there for decks, and new cards pretty much will get shoehorned into pre-existing archetypes out of habit.  That and wizards sometimes sucks at designing new sets.

There's always some rogue decks  in a particular timeframe that do perform well because of what everyone else is playing. Right now, everyone is playing tokens tokens tokens and faeries and five color control are worse than ever,  so there's tons of room for some innovation with a control deck that plays like 8-10 wrath effects and wins with planeswalkers. Not that my standard Tezzerator does this or anything (though boat brew rox me before sideboarding).
hex

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
fat

tehjaybo

• Kentucky-Bore's Last Hope
« Reply #425 on: May 13, 2009, 04:59:14 PM »
I must be behind.  There's going to be a MTG 360 game?

:hyper
HURR

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #426 on: May 13, 2009, 05:12:03 PM »

that hurts, man

jay: yeah but it's kinda shitty. you can't play instants / abilities while damage is on the stack.

tehjaybo

« Reply #427 on: May 13, 2009, 11:22:27 PM »

that hurts, man

jay: yeah but it's kinda shitty. you can't play instants / abilities while damage is on the stack.
  :-\
HURR

billyofcourse

« Reply #428 on: May 15, 2009, 08:33:35 PM »
just spent way too much money...needed a playset of rafiq of the many, and decided to finally bite the bullet and order a playset of birds of paradise....ugh.
NOU

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #429 on: May 15, 2009, 08:36:09 PM »
just spent way too much money...needed a playset of rafiq of the many, and decided to finally bite the bullet and order a playset of birds of paradise....ugh.

gonna play that bant finest hour deck that's been going around?
yar

billyofcourse

« Reply #430 on: May 15, 2009, 09:34:33 PM »

gonna play that bant finest hour deck that's been going around?

actually had that deck mostly built before it kicked some ass this past weekend, tweaking my own by adding in the rafiq's.  Don't even know if this deck will even run the birds or not.  It's untelling.  but yeah, kind of like that deck, but a bit different.

finest hour is beastly, especially with the number of exalted cards I'm running in this deck.

I figured the birds would be a good investment to make anyways, as they're probably always going to be good legal mana acceleration. 
NOU

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #431 on: May 21, 2009, 12:41:15 AM »
been drafting today on mtgo, and in my most recent draft i pulled a sarkhan vol in the first pack.  talk about AUTOMATIC WIN.  and he's gonna fetch me some nice tix after, too.  wish i could get something for this stupid meddling mage, tho.
yar

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #432 on: May 21, 2009, 10:39:14 AM »
My draft deck last night.

I drafted this last night and I want to get you guys' opinion on it.

Land/Mana related

Island X 6
Plains X 5
Swamp X 4
Mana Cylix
Mistvein Borderpost

Creatures
Master of Etherium
Nemesis of Reason
Sphinx of the Steel Wind
Extractor Demon
Esper Stormblade X 2
Glassdust Hulk
Deft Duelist
Ethercaste Knight X 2
Glaze Fiend
Windwright Mage
Sedraxis Alchemist
Esperzoa
Parasitic Strix X 2
Tidehollow Strix
Etherium Abomination

Non Creatures
Dispeller's Capsule
Absorb Vis
Agony Warp
Countersquall

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #433 on: May 21, 2009, 11:48:55 AM »
That's a good esper deck, but it's kind of lacking any way to deal with critters other than agony warp if you don't draw the nuts.
yar

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #434 on: May 21, 2009, 04:18:33 PM »
Nemesis of Reason is absurd in limited. ABSURD.

people don't realize it quite yet, but borderposts+esper stormblade have improved Esper constructed quite a bit. There's a darn decent amount of early pressure in Esper now, no longer are you sitting there with your thumb in your ass for three or four turns with the shard.
hex

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #435 on: May 21, 2009, 04:22:07 PM »
There's weekly alara block constructed pauper tournaments on Saturdays now, too.  I've been playing drafts since yesterday and selling off all my crap for more tix, then drafting again, rinse and repeat.  As long as you draft halfway decently and know how to play, getting into the winnings of a 4-3-2-2 draft is easy as pie, giving you at least 2 more packs for your next draft too.  I wish a bot would buy the meddling mage I opened from the saturday online prerelease, tho.

edit- there's also a bunch of middling to crap rares that are awesome in limited that none of the bots want, either.  my first three picks in my first draft yesterday in the alara reborn pack were bituminous blast, madrush cyclops and blitz hellion.  i've got THREE madrush cyclops just sitting there looking at me in my collection, doing nothing.  he's a beater in limited, fo sho.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 04:25:16 PM by The Card Cheat »
yar

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #436 on: May 26, 2009, 01:28:42 PM »
the new combo swans deck is the most insidious thing ever. It's like playing an extended deck while your opponent is stuck with standard cards, you don't even care what they do on their turn for the most part.  :lol

I am actually thinking about going to five color control-if combo decks are coming back, and aggro decks are still sorta slow, seems like a good place to be.
hex

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #437 on: May 26, 2009, 03:56:34 PM »
The Bant deck could possibly race the Swans deck if you win the roll.  The Bant deck can kill in four or five turns, especially if you're not trying to toss something in the way of that damage.  But then again, I loves me some aggro.

But yeah, that swans combo deck is just gross.  It's going to have a pretty short run in Standard, though, since at the very least Swans will rotate out when Zendikar releases this fall, and maybe sooner if Seismic Assault doesn't see print in Magic 2010 in July.
yar

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #438 on: May 26, 2009, 06:01:37 PM »
There's no way that wizards reprints Seismic Assault at this point. The deck is everything they don't want in Standard-it's basically non-interactive with your opponent unless your opponent plays a narrow range of hate cards against it.

I think this is going to be the first of more than a few cascade-based combo decks in Standard.

BTW, what are you playing for block constructed pauper? I found that Esper is really freaking sick after Alara Reborn in pauper.
hex

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #439 on: May 26, 2009, 06:08:48 PM »
Yup, going Esper aggro initially.  I kind of want to see about doing a slower control esper deck because I really like Soul Manipulation but it doesn't really fit into the aggro deck too well.

I'm also thinking about potentially putting together a Naya Esper hate deck- G/W/R has plenty of good artifact/artifact critter hate in block and I see Esper dominating the format initially.
yar

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #440 on: May 26, 2009, 06:12:30 PM »
I've been challenged to build a suspend deck that can win in a tournament where nothing is banned or restricted.

What are your thoughts on a Necro/Hypergenesis deck?
UK

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #441 on: May 26, 2009, 09:57:52 PM »
a vintage tournament with no ban/restricted list would basically just be everyone mulliganing until they could pull off a first turn mindslaver lock or storm combo for all of your life.

That's a really degenerate format. Get them to play Legacy instead.
hex

T234

« Reply #442 on: May 26, 2009, 10:23:42 PM »
The only decks in the metagame worth freaking out over are reanimator with pretty routine turn 1 Hellkite Overlords that is piloted by a semi-distinguished mentally-challenged fellow, affinity, a beast deck that WILL KILL YOU in like 4-6 turns while pretty easily staying alive in that time, U/R Burn that kills on turn 6 or earlier about 75% of the time, Mono-Blue control, land destruction/burn, and Treefolk That The Only Answer To Is Wrath Or Damnation.

The reason why nobody plays the really old and expensive shit is because we're all sorta poor and only really have of that kinda shit what we came upon in the old days.   
UK

tehjaybo

« Reply #443 on: June 10, 2009, 11:23:39 AM »
Oh what the fuck.

Magic 2010 Rules Changes
Aaron Forsythe and Mark L. Gottlieb
Wednesday, June 10, 2009

As we set out to create the forthcoming Magic 2010 core set—which is a completely new approach to the core set ideal, as announced earlier this year—we opened up everything about how we make Magic cards to scrutiny in an attempt to make that set, and the game as a whole, more accessible.

Every Magic set we release—perhaps each individual card—adds complexity to the game. New terms are introduced, new bits of lingo, new names to memorize, new potential gameplay scenarios that hadn't existed before. This "complexity creep" is all but impossible to stop; it is the nature of a game with ever-expanding content. Just because we can't stop the constant addition, however, doesn't mean that we shouldn't take occasional long hard looks at everything and try to find ways to strip complexity out of the system. As we can't "unprint" cards, the best way to accomplish that goal is through updating the rules—clearing out and cleaning up overly confusing bits.

Magic's rules haven't gone under any radical changes in a decade; the last big shift was attached to the release of the Classic Sixth Edition core set in 1999. With all the re-imagining we put into Magic 2010, we took time to reexamine the rules as well. While the changes we arrived at don't approach the scope of the Sixth Edition rules changes, we did find room for improvement in a few fundamental areas.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg%2Fdaily%2Ffeature%2F42a

Fuck this, on to the rule changes.

1) Simultaneous Mulligans

The Reality: Outside of tournament play, most players do not obey the by-the-book protocol for handling mulligans in which one player resolves all of his or her mulligans before the next player resolves any of his. Instead, players mulligan more or less at the same time.

The Fix: Mulligans will now officially be handled simultaneously. This will significantly cut down on time spent shuffling before each tournament game.

Cool.

2) Terminology Changes

While Magic is full of flavorful and resonant terms (graveyard, library, spell, sorcery, combat, etc.), some of our terminology is generic, vague, and/or misleading. We are making four distinct terminology changes, both in printed card sets going forward and in Oracle, to make the game both clearer and more evocative.

2A) Battlefield

The Reality: Some players are confused by the subtle difference between "play" and "put into play." The name "in-play zone" breaks the metaphor the rest of the game tries to establish.

The Fix: The in-play zone is renamed the "battlefield," which brings it in line with other flavorful zone names like "graveyard" and "library." Permanents now "enter the battlefield" or are "put onto the battlefield" as opposed to "come into play" or "put into play."

2B) Cast, Play, and Activate

The Reality: Again, some players are confused by the subtle difference between "play" and "put into play." The term "cast" was retired from game rules at the time of Classic Sixth Edition for reasons I no longer believe are relevant—to streamline the rules and condense the number of terms down at the cost of flavor. Most players today who played pre-Sixth (and some who didn't!) still use the term "cast." It makes sense for spells to be "cast" as opposed to "played."

The Fix: "Cast" is being reinstated as the verb used when referring to the act of playing spells or types of spells. "Play" is being kept as the verb associated with lands (and with cards of unspecified types). Activated abilities are also no longer "played" but rather "activated."

2C) Exile

The Reality: "Removed from the game" is increasingly a misnomer as we design more cards that use the removed-from-the-game zone as a temporary holding cell for cards that are very much still in the game. Like the "in-play zone," the name "removed-from-the-game zone" does a poor job of maintaining the game's fantasy metaphor.

The Fix: The phrase "remove from the game" is being changed to "exile," which is shorter, more flavorful, and not at all misleading about actually being in the game. The zone is now called the "exile zone" and cards in it will be referred to as "exiled cards."

2D) Beginning of the End Step

The Reality: The subtle but important difference between the phrases "at end of turn" and "until end of turn" in our card templates is a constant source of confusion for players. "At end of turn" really means "at the beginning of the end-of-turn step," which is not the actual end of the turn. In fact, it is often strategically correct to take certain actions during the end-of-turn step after "at end of turn" triggers are processed, which many players have trouble wrapping their heads around. Compounding this is the fact that "until end of turn" effects, like that of Giant Growth, last until the actual end of the turn.

The Fix: This one didn't involve the creation of any new terminology. Instead, it involves a minor rules update (changing the name of the "end-of-turn step" to the "end step") and a change in how we are templating cards. We will now refer to the time when such triggers happen as what it actually is: "at the beginning of the end step." Hopefully this will more clearly convey the existence of a window in the turn after these triggers occur during which more spells and abilities can be used. "Until end of turn" will still be used for effects with durations such as Giant Growth.

Okay, I actually like this.  Maybe this won't be so bad!

3) Mana Pools and Mana Burn

3A) Mana Pools Emptying

The Reality: Many players can't clearly distinguish between phases and steps. The fact that mana remains in pools from step to step but not phase to phase is arbitrary. The concept of floating mana from step to step is hard to understand. Mana pools, in general, should be empty most of the time that players pass priority for ease of keeping track of the game state.

The Fix: Mana pools now empty at the end of each step and phase, which means mana can no longer be floated from the upkeep to the draw step, nor from the declare attackers step to the declare blockers step of combat.

3B) Mana Burn Eliminated

The Reality: Many players aren't aware of the existence of mana burn as a game concept. Discovering it exists, especially via an opponent manipulating his own life total for gain, can be jarring. Its existence impacts game play in a negligible way, whereas its existence impacts card design space somewhat significantly.

The Fix: Mana burn is eliminated as a game concept. Mana left unspent at the end of steps or phases will simply vanish, with no accompanying loss of life.

What.
No.
NO.

FUCK THIS NO.

4) Token Ownership

The Reality: The current "token ownership" rule is poorly understood, mainly because it doesn't make a ton of sense. Currently, the owner of a token is "the controller of the effect that put it into play." That means I own the tokens put into play under your control due to my Hunted Dragon or Forbidden Orchard, which allows me to do unintuitive tricks with cards like Brand or Warp World. Few people are aware of this rule, and assume that the owner of the tokens is the player under whose control they entered the battlefield.

The Fix: We are matching most players' expectation by changing the rule such that the owner of a token is, in fact, the player under whose control it entered the battlefield.

FUCK TOKENS WHAT ABOUT MANA BURN?

5) Combat Damage No Longer Uses the Stack

The Reality: The intricate system via which combat is currently handled creates many unintuitive gameplay moments. For starters, "the stack" is a difficult concept, even after all these years, so it is no wonder that many players go about combat without invoking it at all. Second, creatures disappearing after damage has been put on the stack leads to a ton of confusion and disbelief: How is that Mogg Fanatic killing two creatures? How did that creature kill mine but make your Nantuko Husk big enough to survive? How can you Unsummon your creature and have it still deal damage? While many of us may be used to the way things are now, it makes no sense in terms of a game metaphor and only a bit more sense as a rule.

The Fix: As soon as damage is assigned in the combat damage step, it is dealt. There is no time to cast spells and activate abilities in between; the last time to do so prior to damage being dealt is during the declare blockers step.

This was a particularly tricky change to implement, as it had the potential to create bad experiences in situations where double blocking occurs and the defending player has access to a damage prevention ability (or anything similar). If damage was prevented to one creature, the attacker would just kill the other, which is unintuitive. Players expect to be able to use their healing spells to save creatures that are actually going to die. To solve problems like these, during the declare blockers step, if a creature is blocked by multiple creatures, the attacker immediately announces an order in which that attacking creature will be assigning damage to the blockers. When it comes time to actually deal the damage, lethal damage must be assigned to the first blocker before any can be assigned to the second, and so on. Now, in complex combat situations there will be some foreknowledge of which creatures are in the most danger before damage is dealt.

This is not as sweeping as it sounds. In the majority of cases, creatures attack, creatures block, and combat looks the same way it did before—minus the chance for counterintuitive tricks after "damage on." The majority of the explanation below covers multiple blocks.
WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT

6) Deathtouch

The Reality: There are two problems with deathtouch. One, the fact that it is a triggered ability leads to instances where a single creature needs to regenerate twice from a single source with deathtouch, which is unnecessarily hard to intuit. Second, the deathtouch ability as currently worded doesn't work well under the new combat rules. If a creature with deathtouch, like Kederekt Creeper, is double-blocked by two 3/3s, the new rules wouldn't allow the division of damage between the blockers, which kind of defeats the point of the card and fails to live up to expectations of how deathtouch should function.

The Fix: First, deathtouch is becoming a static ability. Creatures dealt damage by a source with deathtouch will be destroyed as a state-based effect at the same time lethal damage would kill them. As a side effect, multiple instances of deathtouch will no longer be cumulative. Second, deathtouch allows a double-blocked creature to ignore the new damage assignment rules and split its damage among any number of creatures it's in combat with however its controller wants to.

7) Lifelink

The Reality: The fact that lifelink is a triggered ability leads to situations where the controller of a blocker with lifelink dies from combat damage before lifelink can grant that player enough life to stay alive. Many players get this interaction wrong; the subtle difference in timing is unfortunate.

The Fix: Lifelink, like deathtouch, is turning into a static ability. If a source with lifelink deals damage, its controller gains that much life as that damage is being dealt. This brings the timing much closer to spells like Consume Spirit and Lightning Helix. As a side effect, multiple instances of lifelink are no longer cumulative.

FUCK THIS GAME THEY TOOK THE STACK OUT OF COMBAT AND NEGATED MANA BURN AND MADE POOLS EMPTY AT THE END OF PHASE.  FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

WHY ARE THEY FUCKING TRYING TO RUIN MY AWESOME GAME GODDAMNIT.
 :usacry :auscry :swisscry :gbcry :cancry :chinacry :japancry :ussrcry :jaybocry
HURR

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
« Reply #444 on: June 10, 2009, 11:31:12 AM »
seriously, WTF!?!?
XDF

tehjaybo

« Reply #445 on: June 10, 2009, 11:35:10 AM »
R.I.P.

:'( :'( :'( :'(
HURR

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #446 on: June 10, 2009, 01:12:37 PM »
I should have been suspicious when it came out that the XBLA game wasn't going to use the stack for combat damage. :duh

They should have fixed regeneration if they were going to do this though, it's an even worse ability now.

OH WELL

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #447 on: June 10, 2009, 02:02:03 PM »
block, resolve damage, then toss to a sac outlet or use an activated ability while still keeping the combat damage on the stack was a needlessly gamey, degenerate design that allowed for all sorts of undercosted creature abuse (tribe-elder, mogg fanatic, now qasali pridemage) that was totally non-intuitive for the newer player.

You can still perform the block and then use the activated ability, you just don't get the two-for-one sort of effect that you do now. I mean, come on, a mogg fanatic shouldn't be able to essentially block and kill a mutavault. That's just dumb, if it wanted to do that it can be a 2 power creature.

The changes to mana burn aren't a big deal either. I mean, it has some impacts in legacy thanks to mana drain now being stricty better in all situations than counterspell but that's about it.

Let's just all celebrate the return of ball lightning. :rock
hex

T234

« Reply #448 on: June 10, 2009, 02:05:55 PM »
:bow Ball Lightning :bow2

UK

Kara

« Reply #449 on: June 10, 2009, 02:18:30 PM »
:bow Red :bow2

tehjaybo

« Reply #450 on: June 10, 2009, 02:19:39 PM »
I'm not gonna lie, I came when I saw Ball Lightning.
HURR

T234

« Reply #451 on: June 10, 2009, 02:47:46 PM »
I think we all did.

And the new bi-lands are ace. I think that they are third only to the alpha-beta bi-lands, and the Ravnica bi-lands.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 02:51:45 PM by T234 »
UK

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #452 on: June 10, 2009, 03:04:28 PM »
I love the new bi-lands.

The new combat damage stack rules are garbage. Less shenanigans means less clever ways to use spells like unsummon.

tehjaybo

« Reply #453 on: June 10, 2009, 03:37:54 PM »
The new combat damage stack rules are garbage. Less shenanigans means less clever ways to use spells like unsummon.

This may be the only time I ever say this, but....

Thank you, FoC. 
HURR

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #454 on: June 10, 2009, 03:59:45 PM »
Taking out mana burn isnt a big deal. It comes up in maybe 1/1000 games.

Kara

« Reply #455 on: June 10, 2009, 04:52:04 PM »
Yeah definitely. I was kinda miffed about it when I heard the rumor months ago but I got over it... especially seeing what else they did.

Playing Magic means being Wizo's bitch.  :whip

tehjaybo

« Reply #456 on: June 10, 2009, 05:13:35 PM »
Billyofcourse and I just thought of something kind of funny.

Goodbye Citadel of Pain.
HURR

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #457 on: June 12, 2009, 05:47:19 PM »
+ +
= infinite turns

Ganhyun

XDF

T234

« Reply #459 on: June 12, 2009, 10:39:36 PM »
REALLY FRAGILE though.

As for me, I recently finally defeated my nemesis. He once said, "I will surprised if you ever beat me at the game of Magic: the Gathering."

Before the first game he was like "I'll take it easy on you".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recap of the game: I won 46-0.

His board consisted of lands and Borderposts.

Mine was 2 Severed Legions, 3 Mourning Thrulls, a Twisted Abomination, and some other stuff I don't care to remember.

His response "I got green-fucked." My response was "Looks like ya got hair-fucked too." (He's bald as a pool ball, and not by choice either.)

He then switched to a Rafiq/Finest Hour/Exalted with all the trimmings deck that I won a game against, but ultimately lost to.

My little Black/White almost-pauper deck with exactly five uncommons in it at the time almost defeated one of the most powerful decks in standard with about 130 fucking dollars worth of cards in it. With infest or drawing one more removal spell, I would've won.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note, The same B/W that I pilot beat an affinity deck with all the trimmings (including using TINKER FOR A GODDAMN DARKSTEEL FORGE AND I STILL WON THE FUCKING GAME AFTER THAT) in a set the other day. 

As you can tell, I play in a pretty hostile magic environment.

UK

Kara

« Reply #460 on: June 13, 2009, 08:08:03 AM »
Severed Legion... that's a name I've not heard in quite some time. :obi-wancry

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #461 on: June 13, 2009, 03:53:04 PM »
I dont think the combo is as fragile as it looks. All you need is one sword of the meek one thopter foundry and the time sieve.

You can tutor the cards using this

And then just sac a sword to get a thopter sword comes back repeat 5 times sac 5 artifacts to take an extra turn rinse wash repeat. Your opponent wont be able to take another turn again.

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #462 on: June 13, 2009, 03:56:14 PM »
oh and

= infinite mana.

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #463 on: June 13, 2009, 04:04:12 PM »
Word on the street is that this deck will be called ROFL-thopter.
lol

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #464 on: June 14, 2009, 05:20:36 AM »
I like the new rule changes, combat damage not using the stack is fantastic news. I have abused the rule myself but it is very degenerate. The Mogg Fanatic 'trick' says it all.

Anyways had a few games of Magic on friday night. My Jund deck is pretty good now, Its either got some serious fatties or a swarm of 1/1s on the table. Wins a lot of games! Mycoloth is a fucking beast

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #465 on: June 14, 2009, 05:22:03 AM »
and yeah yeah I might dig up my old 4th ed Ball Lightning soon. Card is the bomb

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #466 on: June 14, 2009, 05:23:47 AM »
I dont think the combo is as fragile as it looks. All you need is one sword of the meek one thopter foundry and the time sieve.

You can tutor the cards using this
(Image removed from quote.)

And then just sac a sword to get a thopter sword comes back repeat 5 times sac 5 artifacts to take an extra turn rinse wash repeat. Your opponent wont be able to take another turn again.

Its definitely a good combo but once your opponent knows about it... theres aways going to be untapped mana and an artifact kill spell waiting

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #467 on: June 14, 2009, 03:34:55 PM »

Its definitely a good combo but once your opponent knows about it... theres aways going to be untapped mana and a ______ kill spell waiting

Welcome to magic.

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #468 on: June 18, 2009, 05:49:54 PM »
RETURN OF THE KING

I can't believe they would reprint this, but they are. They should reprint Brainstorm, red having bolt back is just unfair.
hex

Kara

« Reply #469 on: June 18, 2009, 06:03:45 PM »
RIP Shock you fucking sucked.

T234

« Reply #470 on: June 18, 2009, 10:45:18 PM »
How the fuck are you supposed to beat ichorid decks?!?!?! That shit is OBSCENE. I actually won a game against ichorid, but I had THE GOD DRAW (10/10 lifelink flyer turn one), and they had the shittiest possible draw.
UK

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #471 on: June 18, 2009, 11:05:56 PM »
How the fuck are you supposed to beat ichorid decks?!?!?! That shit is OBSCENE. I actually won a game against ichorid, but I had THE GOD DRAW (10/10 lifelink flyer turn one), and they had the shittiest possible draw.

Playing in a legacy format without graveyard hate in the sideboard (relic of progenitus works and is cheap) is a terrible idea. Nothing but directed hate will stop recursion tricks like that.
hex

T234

« Reply #472 on: June 18, 2009, 11:31:04 PM »
Duly noted on the Relic of Progenitus front. I already maindeck four Beckon Appartion for the reanimator matchup, and because a 1/1 black/white flyer is great when you already have four Edge of the Dvinity (Holy and Unholy strength to b/w creatures for 1) for Mourning Thrull, but THEY ARE NOT ENOUGH against something like that.
UK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #473 on: June 19, 2009, 12:57:15 AM »
someone buy magic XBLA and boost with me or play co-op (at least i think it has online co-op)
fat

tehjaybo

« Reply #474 on: June 19, 2009, 12:17:57 PM »
someone buy magic XBLA and boost with me or play co-op (at least i think it has online co-op)

I'm buying it as soon as it comes out.  Or is it out?  I heard there's a demo up, but haven't heard about the full version.  If the full version is out, I'll go by gamestop at lunch to get a points card.
HURR

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #475 on: June 19, 2009, 03:29:27 PM »
it's out. i got owned on the first battle. the decks are garbage so bad... lol. all i could do was fucking play lands, while the CPU was placing monsters down each turn. i'm like WTF
fat

tehjaybo

« Reply #476 on: June 19, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
800 points, right?  Buying a card on my way home from work.
HURR

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #477 on: June 19, 2009, 04:08:45 PM »
 :drudgeLighting Bolt :drudge

spoiler (click to show/hide)

??

[close]

Saint Cornelius

• Always rockin' the sawed-off wisdom.
« Reply #478 on: June 19, 2009, 04:43:41 PM »

add me bitch, we'll play tonight.

i don't really know if i like the game very much. not being able to edit these decks kind of blows.
dap

Ganhyun

« Reply #479 on: June 19, 2009, 05:31:02 PM »
eh I got the game on XBLA. If some of you Borritos want a play through and I'm online message me or something.
XDF