Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 351661 times)

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #1140 on: February 14, 2017, 06:50:36 PM »
http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=14620&d=287747&f=MO

4 Arid Mesa
1 Mountain
10 Plains
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
3 Ajani Vengeant
3 Anger of the Gods
4 Blood Moon
4 Chalice of the Void
2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
4 Ensnaring Bridge
4 Lightning Helix
1 Nahiri, the Harbinger
4 Peace of Mind
4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Wall of Omens

Sideboard:
1 Anger of the Gods
4 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Nevermore
3 Rest in Peace
2 Spellskite
3 Stony Silence
1 Wear // Tear

saw todd stevens and a few others also playing this (or similar) prison decks on camera this year, and there are a few people that play it in my local meta. and that dude won a gp with skred the other month  :o
◕‿◕

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #1141 on: February 15, 2017, 02:06:50 AM »
Kara, why r u playing crumbling vestige over aether hub?
◕‿◕

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1142 on: February 15, 2017, 03:50:53 AM »
Kara, why r u playing crumbling vestige over aether hub?

It hasn't been printed at common. (Playing Pauper these days.)

As for why I'm running those instead of more Blossoming Sands, I don't run very many spells in white and prefer to get an Armadillo Cloak or Ethereal Armor down a turn sooner.

@ Joe - Skred rules, go fjord [sic] it!

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1143 on: February 17, 2017, 02:17:51 PM »
Magic Digital Next  :lol :lol :lol

spoiler (click to show/hide)
As an MTG Salafist, am I going to have to pretend that MODO was ever a good client now?
[close]

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1144 on: February 17, 2017, 06:25:43 PM »
People are praying that's only a mock-up, because otherwise :lol
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1145 on: February 18, 2017, 03:08:00 AM »
It comes out this year, so, I guess it could change drastically still, but I can't see how it looks much different than that. :lol

I'm just glad that the lesson Wizzos took from the explosion of Hearthstone is that the new digital incarnation of the game needs flashy effects for combat damage with a less informative view of the board.

Syph

« Reply #1146 on: February 18, 2017, 03:19:18 AM »
XO

« Reply #1147 on: February 18, 2017, 07:37:54 AM »
It's a mockup for investors and for E3 promo materials. You can absolutely bet v5 or whatever exact platform they're talking about at E3 is going to be flashy as fuck though. No way is Cocks gonna let them push out another slightly colored in Excel spreadsheet.

Kara

« Reply #1148 on: February 19, 2017, 12:31:21 AM »
I took the Aether Revolt customer survey. Highlights:

1. Rating the functional reprint of Atog as the best card they asked me to evaluate, but making sure I marked it down for its shitty name and creature type. Hopefully they get the hint on this one.
2. When asked what I liked least about the set, I went on a #ThursdayNiteRant about new artifact subtypes not just being good, but obviously pushed, while the last "enchantment" set had bestow, a godawful mechanic that was nerfed for dubious reasons, and its best enchantment being a creature that was already an enchantment to begin with.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1149 on: February 20, 2017, 03:02:08 PM »
New art from the upcoming set of Waifu: The Gathering.

YAAAASS QUEEN! :lawd

Also, there's gonna be a bunch of gods (possible trigger warning for Kara).
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1150 on: February 20, 2017, 06:23:29 PM »
I like that the trajectory of full art lands has gone from "reason to buy packs of a comedy set that isn't constructed legal if you're not a casual" to "special bonus for a plane where lands were a strong mechanical component" to "another quasi chase rare to sell packs of a set that looks to be Theros 2.0 - Electrickery Boogaloo". :lol

Stoic Angel (1) being reprinted in Modern Masters 2017 and (2) used on the pack packaging is :lol :lol :lol too.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1151 on: February 21, 2017, 09:55:14 AM »
People are guessing that the the blue wizard on the MM17 packaging is new Snapcaster art, and Griselbrand is a fine reprint target too, but Domri Rade and Stoic Angel as part of the "face" of the set is wtf.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1152 on: February 21, 2017, 12:07:24 PM »
Big Grisel is way overvalued on MODO, so I got no qualms with a reprint despite loathing that card. Paper players don't get that literally the only way to get cards into the ecosystem is via drafting, and if a set wasn't great for drafting its secondary market prices are absurd. (It's also, not coincidentally, why these reprint sets have to be great drafts, which is something else people complain about.)

Yawgmoth's Win on a body is due for a reprint but it's one of those cards Wizzos hates soooo I wouldn't hold my breath.

BTW, here's the full art of your Lili post from yesterday. YAAAASS QUEEN! indeed. :bow :bow2

« Reply #1153 on: February 21, 2017, 12:14:14 PM »
Comeeee on Lili of the Veil. Wouldn't even be that great in this environment, what with all the tokens and vehicles running about.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1154 on: February 21, 2017, 12:57:31 PM »
Lily of the Veil is probably gonna be in MM17, is my guess. They are so uptight about Standard reprints right now, I don't see anyway LotV is in Ankhmorpork.
©@©™

« Reply #1155 on: February 21, 2017, 08:12:42 PM »
Yeah, no doubt. But Lili would've been sorta actively bad in this environment with tokens and Madness.

Kara

« Reply #1156 on: February 21, 2017, 08:52:00 PM »
Without core sets (RIP) can they even reprint PW cards outside Masters series, Commander / whatever other casual shite there is, and duel decks anymore?

It seems like it would be one of those flavor inconsistencies that they "mysteriously" care about that "mysteriously" also benefits the secondary market and Type 2 players.

Use rarity to control complexity brehs.

« Reply #1157 on: February 21, 2017, 09:28:36 PM »
They can. Lili was supposed to have been printed again, but monoblack was too strong at the time so they emergency replaced her with the crappy version.

The longer they stick with the Jacetice League, the longer they're going to have to reprint PWers. There is only so much design space they can burn through with 78 different Jaces/Nissas, etc.

Kara

« Reply #1158 on: February 22, 2017, 02:20:43 AM »
There are plenty of banal utility functions they can slap on "new" planeswalker cards and pretend like they're demonstrative of the character's growth; I thought they would have run out of stupid Timmy creatures years ago and yet here we are.

Kara

« Reply #1159 on: February 23, 2017, 12:11:56 AM »
Wizzos cancelled their phantom Mirage-Tempest Type 2 tournament because MODO is a hunk of junk that prints money in spite of itself. :snoop

There were some truly awful decks in there, but having to play Prosperous Bloom under rules where death was a state-based effect was amusing enough for me to be interested. Plus white weenies with shadow were an option.

Kara

« Reply #1160 on: February 25, 2017, 02:05:32 AM »
Night Market Lookout crewing Sky Skiff and being untapped by Mobile Garrison. :delicious

Getting rekt by Shock. :goty
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1161 on: February 25, 2017, 02:07:45 AM »
ban Shock

Wizzos cancelled their phantom Mirage-Tempest Type 2 tournament because MODO is a hunk of junk that prints money in spite of itself. :snoop

There were some truly awful decks in there, but having to play Prosperous Bloom under rules where death was a state-based effect was amusing enough for me to be interested. Plus white weenies with shadow were an option.

I played Suicide Black back then, good times.

Until your opponent sideboarded in Light of Day. Save me, Nevinyrral's Disk! :fbm
[close]
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 02:13:27 AM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1162 on: February 25, 2017, 04:51:29 AM »
Hatred was a rad card, and they don't make 'em like Unholy Strength or Bad Moon anymore. And of course there's shadow. (On a tangent, when I watch the latest version of Death's Shadow in Modern I get a serious Suicide Black vibe, though of course it's described as Jund midrange instead.)

I am a huge Dave Price fanboy, so I mostly ran Deadguy Red. I kind of like the fact that the Fireblasts in my Type 1.5 Burn deck are the same ones I used back then.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1163 on: February 25, 2017, 12:52:03 PM »
Hatred was a rad card, and they don't make 'em like Unholy Strength or Bad Moon anymore. And of course there's shadow. (On a tangent, when I watch the latest version of Death's Shadow in Modern I get a serious Suicide Black vibe, though of course it's described as Jund midrange instead.)

People were calling it Suicide Zoo online, but I think there was an official or at least semi-official push from either Wizards or SCG to not use the S-word on any streamed tournaments, to avoid triggering people. Although Wiazrds used it here, so maybe that was just a rumor, or maybe they just don't care if people get triggered on MODO (or have access to a functioning product).
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1164 on: February 25, 2017, 05:29:44 PM »
Well, they didn't see an issue in the current block with having a race identify outside the gender binary (which, hey, props for) but making sure that race was black-aligned, participated in unsavory trade (or outright criminality) and handled the tough moral space of being sentient but short-lived by living trite lives of excess (no black mana cliche) so...

« Reply #1165 on: February 25, 2017, 05:50:00 PM »
Fatal Push is better than Path to Exile in like, 9/10 feasible cases in modern. It's basically second only to bolt in terms of removal now.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1166 on: February 26, 2017, 10:14:16 AM »
Well, they didn't see an issue in the current block with having a race identify outside the gender binary (which, hey, props for) but making sure that race was black-aligned, participated in unsavory trade (or outright criminality) and handled the tough moral space of being sentient but short-lived by living trite lives of excess (no black mana cliche) so...

Please, I'm trying to pretend like the sub YA-tier MTG "story" doesn't exist.  :stahp
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1167 on: February 26, 2017, 10:23:44 AM »
Fatal Push is better than Path to Exile in like, 9/10 feasible cases in modern. It's basically second only to bolt in terms of removal now.

You can cast Push on anything it can kill and not feel like it was a bad play (unlike Path where you really hate to remove some creatures from the game with it), but Path will just save your life when you need it to.

I guess the fact that Modern doesn't really have a dominant control deck atm gives Push the edge.

@ Joe, I only know about it for this block because they did one of those D&D supplements set in its plane. :lol
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 10:28:46 AM by Kara »

Kara

« Reply #1168 on: February 26, 2017, 12:39:24 PM »
I was playing against Infect in Pauper--which is miles away from its older siblings in terms of power, but the reason why Invigorate is 50% of the fair cards on the format's banned list (the other is Cranial Plating, which is the price we pay to have the artifact lands be legal)--a deck I have a soft spot for because it makes players who learned to play under certain design regimes cry like babies and is a creature deck that doesn't interact with its cards in play (#FreeShadow), but it absolutely wrecks Bogles because it has the same game plan but doesn't even bother with a pretense of survivability and lol removal in green aggro*.

I ask how the deck has been doing because black has been resurgent (i.e. there be edicts outchea), my opponent says not too bad and I briefly entertain dusting off my own version of the deck to 0-5 a league.

My opponent needs to get in for 3 to kill me and has Rancor on a Glistener. I have an overly enchanted creature and a 0/1 green token in play. My opponent proceeds to cast Apostle's Blessing on their creature naming... protection from green.  :snoop :snoop :snoop

Then I decide, you know what, never mind about throwing away those tickets on a league run. Also, lol Wizards for shitting up the rules by fragmenting enchantments with auras; it sure seems to interact poorly with players' grasp of DEBT and protection.

*♡ Gut Shot ♡♡♡ Phyrexian mana

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1169 on: February 26, 2017, 07:46:45 PM »
I played Modern Bogles at FNM this week, and went 1-3. I was hoping to at least salvage a 2-2 record, but in my final round I got paired up against Turbo Fog.   :umad
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1170 on: February 26, 2017, 10:19:00 PM »
Who trolls the troll decks? 8)

I played a turn 2 bogle this morning and my opponent said, "Have fun? Against Bogles?" then conceded.
[close]

Speaking of Modern, in the finals of the SCG event in Indy this weekend the Ad Nauseum player (who won) cast Angel's Grace to combo off. Prosperous Bloom might be busted in MODO, but its soul still burns.

Insert joke about split second just being interrupt 2.0 here.
[close]

AND in the final game he tutored for Ad Nauseum with Pauper all-star and retired Time Spiral Type 2 control slayer Mystical Teachings. #CommonDecency :bow2

Kara

« Reply #1171 on: February 27, 2017, 02:00:51 PM »
The Damnation memes are very funny, but I've gotten tired of them.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-preview/took-us-long-enough-2017-02-27

lol Theros causing the 40 dollar Wrath.
[close]

Enemy fetch reprint. *Home Alone voice* for the kids.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/get-ready-dual-2017-02-27

Free Ensnaring Bridge. Free Blood Moon.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1172 on: February 27, 2017, 02:15:19 PM »
I'd love if Blood Moon and Ensnaring Bridge were in this set. It'd be nice to pick up a playset of each for less than a kidney.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1173 on: February 27, 2017, 11:52:28 PM »
Around the time Eighth Edition came out I was good enough at drafting to get 3 / 4 pick from the rares at the LGS draft (I have long since returned to my normal state of "godawful") which meant that I got to rare draft a lot of Blood Moons. (Because that card wasn't very good at the time and PTQ scrubs of that era had no conception whatsoever of eternal formats.)

:esports

Kara

« Reply #1174 on: February 28, 2017, 03:51:19 AM »
Molten Rain is being reprinted in Modern Masters. :lawd

At uncommon. :goty
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1175 on: February 28, 2017, 11:21:50 AM »
Snapcaster reprinted at Mythic. :trollface
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1176 on: February 28, 2017, 11:30:05 AM »
I like how the illustration still looks like a dorky Invitational likeness but it's not a dorky Invitational likeness anymore.

And the new Ranger of Eos went from not looking like one of those to looking like one of those.

Free Anson Maddocks.

Unrelated: dat Woolly Thoctar reprint.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1177 on: February 28, 2017, 03:52:03 PM »
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1178 on: March 01, 2017, 01:00:16 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I've never seen a deck lose to itself more than this deck does.
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1179 on: March 01, 2017, 12:19:36 PM »
Speaking of one-drops and dying to yourself, Death's Shadow reprint. :lawd
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1180 on: March 01, 2017, 12:20:12 PM »
IN: Lili, Abrupt Decay, Death's Shadow (CONSPIRACY!!!!!), Craterhoof Behemoth, Basilisk Collar.

Also nice to see Past in Flames get a reprint as someone who likes that card.

Aside from not seeming to have much Lorwyn or Shadowmoor, his set is p. amazing ngl. Ban MaRo, flashback Sam Stoddard.

Pauper rant: Downshifting Burning-Tree Emissary to common was a bad idea.
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1181 on: March 01, 2017, 01:25:37 PM »
Pauper rant: Downshifting Burning-Tree Emissary to common was a bad idea.
[close]

Mortician Beetle got downshifted too. :lucas
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1182 on: March 01, 2017, 02:04:03 PM »
The Aristocrats!

isn't a very good deck in Pauper
[close]

Kara

« Reply #1183 on: March 02, 2017, 02:28:41 AM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1184 on: March 02, 2017, 10:03:36 AM »
#MagicSoRed
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1185 on: March 02, 2017, 01:33:48 PM »
Cavern of Souls and the Lhurgoyf people actually played. A+ troll with the initial packaging reveal to now, Wizards.

Augur of Bolas got down shifted to common... I like that card a lot more than Sea Gate Oracle which sees a lot of play in a tier 1 deck (Murasa Tron) and a tier 1.5 deck on the rise (U/B control), but the former sometimes just needs lands.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1186 on: March 03, 2017, 12:32:00 AM »
My draft deck tonight:

+8 Swamps, 7 Mountains

Battle at the Bridge did a lot of work, I cast it three times and it was blowout city every time (including once in a top-deck situation where I was staring down lethal). And Gifted Aetherborn is a just a straight up asshole.  8)
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1187 on: March 03, 2017, 07:23:42 AM »
You weren't passed the Ballista and the Battle at the Bridge I hope. :lol

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1188 on: March 03, 2017, 02:10:07 PM »
You weren't passed the Ballista and the Battle at the Bridge I hope. :lol

Heh, no those were both Pick 1's. I did get the Freebird Regent fairly deep in a pack, which is a card I really like in limited. Even if you have to cast it for cost, being able to attack next turn with a 10/4 flier is pretty rad.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1189 on: March 03, 2017, 05:56:58 PM »
I draft Chandra's Revolution a lot so the 4 toughness is kind of a turn off, but fatties that can beat are undervalued in the draft environment imo.

Unrelated: Hey, what card should we move to common in that will totally not be a problem with Ponder and Preordain?

[close]

Fucking Miracles, I can never escape you. :goty

Kara

« Reply #1190 on: March 05, 2017, 01:15:48 PM »
I finally got in a run of the Invasion Block draft league on MODO. :preach

While I went 0-3 I never felt like I was getting stomped (unlike limited events that pay out MOCS qualifier points) and as always it was an absolute blast in the hilarious board states and situations that arose during the course of play.

If you never drafted the set irl, I highly recommend giving it a whirl while you can.

Kara

« Reply #1191 on: March 08, 2017, 02:31:31 AM »

:jeanluc Teach your damn kids how to use countermagic, Wizzos.

I wasn't playing Affinity when this happened.
[close]

On a tangential note, I really like this build of Canadian Threshold. Fatal Push has finally liberated us from Goyf, a creature you could never really justify cutting, but stopped loving years ago. Bring on the Mandrills. :rejoice

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1192 on: March 08, 2017, 09:31:16 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

:jeanluc Teach your damn kids how to use countermagic, Wizzos.

Posted to one of my facebook groups this morning

©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1193 on: March 08, 2017, 10:55:04 AM »
But was the Daze paid for with its alternate casting cost? :lol

It's funny how plays in powered eternal formats that aren't ideal but are still often necessary (sometimes you just have to counter that Brainstorm) are what inexperienced players gravitate towards in other formats where it's not necessary.
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1194 on: March 09, 2017, 10:22:45 AM »
Paying $5 for in-print, standard legal uncommons.  :beli
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1195 on: March 09, 2017, 11:25:56 AM »
It's high, but it'll be a $20 uncommon in the future (until it's reprinted at rare in Modern Masters 202X).

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1196 on: March 09, 2017, 11:36:55 AM »
I mean, I still bought them obviously.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1197 on: March 09, 2017, 11:40:48 AM »
I think I paid around $5 per for Chainer's Edict when it was Type 2 legal... now it's that much again because of a buyout in paper despite having long since drifted into irrelevance. :lol

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1198 on: March 09, 2017, 11:47:08 AM »
Some random cards spiked earlier this week because of a glitch in Crystal Commerce. Merchant Scroll was briefly selling for $30.  :holeup
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1199 on: March 09, 2017, 01:30:25 PM »
The game's market is a really bizarre amalgam of the worst aspects of collectibles, commodities, financialization, automation, and monopoly by irrational actors*. On the most recent Card Hoarder podcast an owner was talking about how he had to take an unnecessary loss because a Modern Masters spoiler happened at a weird time and there wasn't someone there to update the bots with this information.

*I don't think it's a coincidence that certain kinds of cards have their value protected more diligently than other cards. Force of Will being made a mythic while Wasteland's secondary market value was annihilated is too consistent with the ideology of R&D to be an accident.

:hans1