Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 346095 times)

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #2820 on: July 15, 2020, 01:53:05 PM »
im interested in what magic raist actually likes. dont think ive ever read a post from them that isn't whinging about some cards or archetype.

Jank :rejoice

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #2821 on: July 23, 2020, 01:16:09 AM »
I think it's called Abzan now.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2822 on: July 23, 2020, 01:07:38 PM »
Wizards out here reprinting Horsemanship cards in 2020. :rejoice

©@©™

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #2823 on: July 23, 2020, 02:35:34 PM »
Mox Opal is in EDH I mean Double Masters, lulz. Way to twist the knife about that bad ban.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2824 on: July 24, 2020, 02:13:02 PM »
Bulk Masters, tbh  :yuck

It’s got a lot of hot mythics, but these rares are pathetic. Crack open a $15 pack, get a Thragtusk and a Salvage Titan.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2825 on: July 24, 2020, 03:32:35 PM »
It looks like a really depressing draft product, and bereft of a conceit that justifies it too like Masters Edition I through IV on MODO. (Fleecing EDH dorks isn't a conceit.)

Mark da god Tedin getting all the noobs mad with his new art for Karn Liberated is pretty ace though. If I hadn't quit constructed Magic altogether* I'd consider buying into Tron to put as many people on tilt as humanly possible.

*I play Brawl solely because it's what my draft group uses to kill time before pods fire.

Jumpstart has been a pleasant surprise, at least. The only true stinker I've encountered is the Phyrexian pack and even then it could be playable with ramp. I almost beat a Teferi's Tutelage last night which is more than I can say about its unwelcome presence in Core Set 2021.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2826 on: July 24, 2020, 10:50:33 PM »
The Phyrexian Swamps are pretty cool tho.  :-[
©@©™

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #2827 on: July 25, 2020, 12:35:02 AM »
With all these reprintings soon my Spanish book promo Mana Crypt will be worth nothing at all, not that I can figure out what it's supposed to be worth atm

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #2828 on: July 25, 2020, 12:42:08 AM »
With all these reprintings soon my Spanish book promo Mana Crypt will be worth nothing at all, not that I can figure out what it's supposed to be worth atm

http://store.legitmtg.com/buylist/magic_singles-promotional_cards-promos_book_inserts/spanish_mana_crypt__book_promo/59035

:yeshrug
yar

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #2829 on: July 25, 2020, 12:46:24 AM »
estoy triste  :fbm

Kara

« Reply #2830 on: July 25, 2020, 01:57:31 PM »
Arixmethes, Slumbering Isle is in this trash set. :paul :rage

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2831 on: July 25, 2020, 02:10:57 PM »
reprinted Oubliette now just phases out a creature as long as it's on the battlefield, how dare they?
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2832 on: July 25, 2020, 02:21:08 PM »
The monetized alter of Stoneforge Mystic looks pretty hot. :money

Kara

« Reply #2833 on: July 25, 2020, 03:36:30 PM »
Today's Pro Tour meta is a disaster and there's no limited content to save us from it, but it's nice to have high level play oriented around the stack.

Also funny to see great players make the correct decision under nü Magic theory when it's very wrong under old (stack) Magic theory.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #2834 on: July 25, 2020, 06:38:39 PM »
Also funny to see great players make the correct decision under nü Magic theory when it's very wrong under old (stack) Magic theory.

What do you mean?

Kara

« Reply #2835 on: July 25, 2020, 06:59:54 PM »
Someone activated Spectral Sailor twice (which makes sense operating on mana utilization theory) and they got hammered by a lethal Explosion in response.

Someone else cast an Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath from their hand to develop their board with 2 pieces of counter magic in hand and they were punished by their opponent casting a Wilderness Reclamation on the following turn with their own counter back up.

Kara

« Reply #2836 on: July 26, 2020, 10:30:53 PM »
Turn 1 Lodestone Golem in Vintage Cube. :aah

Snap concession in response to a turn 4 Bribery. :aah

Kara

« Reply #2837 on: July 29, 2020, 10:34:57 PM »
 :ohhh

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2838 on: July 30, 2020, 08:26:51 PM »
Abrade and Cast Down downshift to common, it was Pauper Masters all along.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2839 on: July 31, 2020, 04:10:45 AM »
Crib Swap is a nice downshift to common too. Unlike Myr Retriever.  :yuck

I finally saw the monetized alter of Brainstorm and :lol :lol :lol. Love you, Ron Spencer but that is U G L Y.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's kind of impressive that a card as iconic as Brainstorm has exactly one good illustration and it's from a set everyone pretends to hate.
[close]

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2840 on: July 31, 2020, 10:37:19 AM »
A guy I used to work with has a playset of foil Japanese Masques Brainstorms

:lawd
yar

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2841 on: July 31, 2020, 11:53:50 AM »
I like the one that's just some Lightning Bolt art that they added a brain to.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2842 on: July 31, 2020, 08:00:24 PM »
The Chris Rahn one? That has hilarious literalism. He even drew a brain! :lol :lol

Kara

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2844 on: August 03, 2020, 12:12:25 PM »
RIP TefTef
©@©™

thisismyusername

Kara

« Reply #2846 on: August 03, 2020, 03:26:25 PM »
But TIMU, they were keeping Wilderness Reclamation decks in check!

Raist

« Reply #2847 on: August 03, 2020, 03:30:42 PM »
Surely now they'll think twice before printing broken ass cards, right?

:lol
[close]

Also,  :sheik to those of you who whined when I posted this  :-*:

Burning tree emissary is banned, while nonsense like Wilderness Reclamation is OK? All right then :lol

thisismyusername

« Reply #2848 on: August 03, 2020, 04:03:28 PM »
But TIMU, they were keeping Wilderness Reclamation decks in check!

I mean... technically it came out AFTER Wilderness, so... they aren't wrong there... but I don't think that was why everyone was wanting to ban it. :doge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2849 on: August 03, 2020, 04:55:24 PM »
The had to give players time to find answers.
©@©™

Raist

« Reply #2850 on: August 03, 2020, 05:56:29 PM »
We've often heard the feedback that the repetitive play patterns and reduced capability for interaction that Teferi, Time Raveler can create feel oppressive and limiting.

:pika Really unexpected for a card that shuts down instants for the opponent while allowing to play anything at instant speed :pika

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #2851 on: August 03, 2020, 05:57:41 PM »
*sorceries at instant speed

◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #2852 on: August 03, 2020, 05:59:44 PM »
oko has been climbing steadily (people realising how great he is in edh against commanders... and every other creature/artifact) and is now more than t3f  :lol

threw both in a chulane deck recently and i've won a couple games with t3f and oko on board helping keep multiple opponents in check as i built up resources protected by removal, wipes and things with butts bigger than 3.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 06:04:40 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

Kara

« Reply #2853 on: August 03, 2020, 06:11:38 PM »
I read an article awhile back that observed Oko turns a game state from a constructed one to a limited one by invalidating a lot of rules text. Seems logical that it would mess up EDH jerking off using that perspective.

naff

« Reply #2854 on: August 03, 2020, 06:14:05 PM »
That's quite a good way of describing it  :lol
◕‿◕

thisismyusername

« Reply #2855 on: August 03, 2020, 07:36:28 PM »
I'm surprised Commander hasn't banned him. I mean, only Legacy and Vintage haven't yet. Which is a little funny since Vintage banned Lurrus.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

naff

« Reply #2857 on: August 04, 2020, 08:10:57 PM »
I'm surprised Commander hasn't banned him. I mean, only Legacy and Vintage haven't yet. Which is a little funny since Vintage banned Lurrus.

not as powerful in multiplayer, though still very good imo.

chulane itself deserves a ban much more than oko in edh. card is ridiculously busted and i feel bad playing it, i just really wanted to make a goodstuff value town deck that had reasonable answers to everything. well, i achieved it. reminds me of when i first started playing edh and i brought mono white eight and a half tails prison deck focussing on land d and stax effects feat. humility to my (at the time) very casual meta and had to endure constant groans. usually my goodstuff deck is my aggro-midrange saskia, but that's actually just genuinely fair fun (with some infinite combats possibilities, but still have to win via combat). simic in general in edh is busted and a bit boring (kinnan, yarok, golos, chulane, muldrotha, vannifar etc etc).
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #2858 on: August 04, 2020, 08:13:12 PM »
dunno why i qualified "simic is busted" with edh. simic is fucking busted everywhere.
◕‿◕

Kara

« Reply #2859 on: August 04, 2020, 08:21:18 PM »
They've really screwed up with BUG in the Pioneer era, for sure.

naff

« Reply #2860 on: August 04, 2020, 10:06:13 PM »
i've barely played pioneer and have no intention to.

just bought some updates to modern dredge (bloodghast is out! .... for now :'( RIP) and have a jeskai midrange/control list i will play soon. been a long time since i dusted off the modern collection, but surprisingly haven't needed to buy much (avoiding uro and shark typhoon for now). will post lists at some point
◕‿◕

thisismyusername

« Reply #2861 on: August 05, 2020, 12:45:15 AM »

not as powerful in multiplayer, though still very good imo.

chulane itself deserves a ban much more than oko in edh. card is ridiculously busted and i feel bad playing it, i just really wanted to make a goodstuff value town deck that had reasonable answers to everything. well, i achieved it. reminds me of when i first started playing edh and i brought mono white eight and a half tails prison deck focussing on land d and stax effects feat. humility to my (at the time) very casual meta and had to endure constant groans. usually my goodstuff deck is my aggro-midrange saskia, but that's actually just genuinely fair fun (with some infinite combats possibilities, but still have to win via combat). simic in general in edh is busted and a bit boring (kinnan, yarok, golos, chulane, muldrotha, vannifar etc etc).

It's not about the multiplayer, it's about... telling Wizards to stop printing Planeswalkers as Garfield never intended them to be a card-type broken cards.

I guess I could just hawk 4chan's "Traditional Magic" format, but... Wizards going "ok, we fucked up with Planeswalkers. We're memory holing them" like they did their racist cards would be a good first start toward rebalancing the game.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2862 on: August 05, 2020, 08:51:23 AM »
Haven't booted up Arena in a couple of months, but I hopped on last night and to play some Mono Black Aggro in Historic and ended up spending all my gems fishing for Phyrexian Swamps. MTG really is the original gacha game.  :fbm
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2863 on: August 05, 2020, 12:51:17 PM »
Eliminate makes me hopeful that they're taking planeswalker removal seriously at last. Sure, it reinforces the earlier discussed problem (BUG having color pie and / or deep development issues), but that's an easier problem to fix.

Plus the collapse of the story side of the game as of War of the Spark (in conjunction with finally getting a mass media licensing deal) means I don't fret as much about the game being warped to satisfy marketing demands.

Kara

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2865 on: August 07, 2020, 01:29:24 PM »
Make 'em have it. :smug
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2866 on: August 09, 2020, 07:16:36 PM »
Played a sweet Dominaria draft deck that had Juggernaut, Serra Angel, and Icy Manipulator. 8)

Went 5 and X after I lost 2 games due to technical difficulties. :stahp
[close]

Kara

« Reply #2867 on: August 10, 2020, 06:30:40 PM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2868 on: August 10, 2020, 08:00:13 PM »
If they're gonna bring back Hornet Queen, we also need Whip of Erebos.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2869 on: August 10, 2020, 10:42:04 PM »
lol, Approach of the Second Sun got new illustration.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/amonkhet-remastered

Noah getting erased like the history of Amonkhet.

Kara

« Reply #2870 on: August 14, 2020, 01:47:42 AM »
So far Amonkhet Remastered seems more like triple Amonkhet than anything else, which is what I hoped for but resigned myself to not getting. (I assumed it was going to play more like a normal set than either triple Amonkhet or 1x Amonkhet and 2x Hour of Devastation.)

I'm glad certain Hour of Devastation cards actually enhance the aggro in Amonkhet absent the rest of the set. Since I haven't been able to play much in paper in the COVID-19 portion of 2020 I've been working on a hella aggro cube that draws from Amonkhet, Gatecrash, Magic 2012, Tempest, and original Zendikar, but I was worried some of the Hour of Devastation cards I put in would slow it down too much. Now I'm a little rosy about the Rise of the Eldrazi cards I stuck in there. :D

In case you want to know, it's wedge based themes:

Jeskai: tapping and untapping
Temur: landfall and discard
Sultai: can't be blocked or wouldn't want to block
Abzan: allies and level up
Mardu: the aristocrats
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2871 on: August 16, 2020, 12:47:47 PM »
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2872 on: August 27, 2020, 11:52:44 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/ihbnvo/from_the_leaker_of_m21/

Yami: "And now, I play New Stone Rain."

Kaiba: "Hah, you're as pathetic as always, Yugi. Can you not even see what I've played? I control only basic lands, so your New Stone Rain is worthless."

Yami: "Ah, but I'm not targeting YOUR lands, Kaiba. I target my own Darksteel Citadel!"

Kaiba: *shocked*

Yami: "You see, Kaiba, not only does my Darksteel Citadel SURVIVE the New Stone Rain, but now I may place an additional land from my deck onto the battlefield and draw an additional card. ... Ah, just the card I needed, Lightning Bolt. Using the mountain I put on the battlefield, I now play Lightning Bolt, targeting your final blocker!"

Kaiba: "How could I have lost?"

Yami: "Hmm. You played well, Kaiba. But you sacrificed your creatures and your life points. I'm afraid this game ends now. I attack with all of my creatures, bringing your life total to zero!"

:whew
©@©™

naff

« Reply #2873 on: August 27, 2020, 10:59:13 PM »
having 7 lads over for a double mastahs paper draft tomorrow night. fightin' for box toppers :whew
◕‿◕

Raist

« Reply #2874 on: September 02, 2020, 01:30:49 PM »
We D&D now.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/zendikar-rising-mechanics-2020-09-01

An homage to classic adventuring parties, the new party mechanic highlights four specific creature types: Cleric, Rogue, Warrior, and Wizard. The number of creatures in your party is how many of those roles you can fill with a creature you control. Each creature you control can fill a maximum of one role.

Abilities that care about the number of creatures in your party simply look for a number between 0 and 4. You never have to identify which creature is filling which role. Nothing will ask for the Cleric in your party, for example. Those abilities will use that number in various ways. Kabira Outrider uses it to calculate its bonus as its ability resolves. Other cards do . . . you know, other things. You'll see.

Some cards have bonuses if you have a "full party." That means all roles are filled—you control a Cleric, a Rogue, a Warrior, and a Wizard. Remember each of those creatures must be different creatures in case a creature has more than one party-relevant creature type.
Coveted Prize

That doesn't really seem like it will work out very often, outside maaaaybe in limited...?

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #2875 on: September 02, 2020, 01:37:48 PM »
Mutavault makes it pretty easy

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2876 on: September 02, 2020, 01:47:33 PM »
There's a green creature that's all four types. You still have to have at least four creatures in play, though. Maybe worth it though for a card like Coveted Prize that lets you tutor up any card for B and then cast it for free.
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2877 on: September 02, 2020, 02:31:00 PM »
Next year there's an actual D&D themed expansion, too
yar

thisismyusername

« Reply #2878 on: September 02, 2020, 05:49:58 PM »
We D&D now.

Always Have Been.meme

Apparently, the classic frames aren't going to be Premium, so I'm super hype for those.

naff

« Reply #2879 on: September 02, 2020, 09:57:29 PM »
uro has to get banned now with all this standard landfall value.... right?

i'll be giving 4c omnath lotus uro a shot in the meantime. the value is too tempting
◕‿◕