Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption screens, and trailer!  (Read 181776 times)

Mupepe

• Icon
Re: Red Dead Redemption screens, and trailer!
« Reply #1200 on: June 16, 2010, 03:24:50 PM »
Got into Mexico last night :hyper

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1201 on: June 16, 2010, 06:32:31 PM »
Got into Mexico last night :hyper
¡Bienvenido a la Land of Moral Ambiguity!

All the choices about who to help and whether or not you really want to finish the mission become a tad more painful south of the border.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sadly, I'm not talking about Marsten's penis and some kind of in-game "hot coffee" scenario.
[close]

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1202 on: June 17, 2010, 04:56:15 PM »
played some with infectegib this afternoon, that was probably the worst i've ever done at the gang matches :lol

those guys we were playing against were really good, though, one of them had his golden guns
sup

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #1203 on: June 17, 2010, 04:58:41 PM »
Eel, how long is the total play-through if I do a reasonable amount of side missions?

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1204 on: June 17, 2010, 05:00:23 PM »
it really is next to impossible to get the [Wild Bunch] title in public sessions, though

i only got up to about $3500 before other players starting showing up, and between worrying about them and the mexican army i just cashed it in and tried to fend off other players as much as possible so infectedgib could hit his mark of $7500

he was so close, too :(
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1205 on: June 17, 2010, 05:01:54 PM »
Eel, how long is the total play-through if I do a reasonable amount of side missions?

i did all the side missions, a little bit (very little) of the ambient challenges, and the main missions, and i got 30 hours out of it

just blowing through the main and the sides i'd guess around 20, maybe 25 hours?
sup

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #1206 on: June 17, 2010, 05:04:17 PM »
I did a shitload of side missions and level up quests and I finished at 31:24:54 according to the rockstar website.

If I strictly stuck to the main path I probably could easily cut that in half if not a bit more.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1207 on: June 17, 2010, 05:05:15 PM »
it really is next to impossible to get the [Wild Bunch] title in public sessions, though

i only got up to about $3500 before other players starting showing up, and between worrying about them and the mexican army i just cashed it in and tried to fend off other players as much as possible so infectedgib could hit his mark of $7500

Im keen to go for those Outlaw challenges too, next time were on together lets do it in private free roam

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1208 on: June 17, 2010, 05:06:32 PM »
it's not likely anyone will just stick to the main quest, just in travelling from mission to mission you're gonna hit a bunch of random events that will sidetrack you
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1209 on: June 17, 2010, 05:08:37 PM »

Im keen to go for those Outlaw challenges too, next time were on together lets do it in private free roam

yeah, infected said he has a friend who wants to get them so if we can all get together in private free roam and cover all 4 sides of the presidio we whould be able to handle it no problem

the more the merrier, it'll take longer (they only send so many lawmen/military after you at one time), but more people = better coverage
sup

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1210 on: June 17, 2010, 05:09:42 PM »
it's not likely anyone will just stick to the main quest, just in travelling from mission to mission you're gonna hit a bunch of random events that will sidetrack you

Technically you could just run away from those also. Later in the game once my honor and fame were up, I mostly ignored them. But I'm mainly just talking about the theoretical time limit. I enjoyed all of that shit. Although I've sent the game back I honestly could have still spent time in the game doing stuff or loading up an old game and doing some of the stuff I missed out on. My point being that its such a rich and wonderful world, its honestly to your benefit to spend as much time as possible in it, rather than rushing through it.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1211 on: June 17, 2010, 05:13:15 PM »
yeah, i suppose i did lose track of time more than i was aware while playing, so you're probably right on your length estimation (and about wanting to just hang around in the game world)

i miss those filthy whores trying to lure me into roadside bandit attacks while i'm in multiplayer :(

sup

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1212 on: June 17, 2010, 08:43:57 PM »
I got 100% in single player in around 35 hours I think.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1213 on: June 17, 2010, 10:19:19 PM »
I've been doing tons of the side missions. Ignoring them messes with my immersion, since I'm playing Marston-as-hero. I want to help everyone I can, and the game keeps tossing them at me. Last night I was dealing with the Stranger quest which ends in El Sepulcro, couldn't sleep until I'd got some satisfaction with the girl's pimp.

I'm trying to get out of Mexico. I want to kill bears. I want to be in snow. Instead I'm dicking around in the most morally ambiguous missions to-date.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1214 on: June 18, 2010, 12:53:23 AM »
be sure and buy a newspaper after you "finish" the game
[close]
sup

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1215 on: June 18, 2010, 03:55:27 AM »
[close]
Is that really a spoiler? I waffled over whether or not to click on it, but even the Xbox Insider guys on the tips channel have said:
You may think you've finished, but it's not over until the credits roll!
[close]

Robo

« Reply #1216 on: June 18, 2010, 10:50:28 AM »
Just got the Reyes' Rebels outfit last night... why the hell didn't they let me have this BEFORE I left Mexico?  :(  It's my favorite one so far, but it doesn't look appropriate when running around in the woods.
obo

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1217 on: June 18, 2010, 11:18:24 AM »
[close]
Is that really a spoiler? I waffled over whether or not to click on it, but even the Xbox Insider guys on the tips channel have said:
You may think you've finished, but it's not over until the credits roll!
[close]

well, it's not really a spoiler, but it does let you know what becomes of some of the characters you meet, i was just playing safe i guess

you can do it before or after the credits
sup

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1218 on: June 18, 2010, 11:27:11 AM »
Still haven't done a proper "review" of the game yet but since I'm in the mood I just wanted to say I loved the way they handled Bonnie in the game. Particularly at the end when she meets Martson's wife. Sad and Sweet. Which is not an emotion that a videogame is often able to evoke.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1219 on: June 18, 2010, 11:44:39 AM »
I let a buddy who has fallen on hard times recently borrow my game so MP with you guys isn't gonna happen for a while.  :(
©ZH

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1220 on: June 18, 2010, 12:54:13 PM »
Just got the Reyes' Rebels outfit last night... why the hell didn't they let me have this BEFORE I left Mexico?  :(  It's my favorite one so far, but it doesn't look appropriate when running around in the woods.
I'm only one checklist item away from getting that, and I too just cleared Mexico tonight. I'll have to go back for some things, but I'm kind of glad to be done with it. It's enjoyable helping the Armadillo sheriff and the MacFarlanes, but having to cooperate with anyone in Mexico felt less-than-heroic.

What is a "treasure hunter bounty" and where are they assigned? I've brought back Walton's gang, banditos, and whatever gang is around the MacFarlane Ranch. I don't think I've seen a treasure hunter yet.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1221 on: June 18, 2010, 12:59:52 PM »
What is a "treasure hunter bounty" and where are they assigned? I've brought back Walton's gang, banditos, and whatever gang is around the MacFarlane Ranch. I don't think I've seen a treasure hunter yet.

Use the tracking thing. I think those are the bounties at the MacFarlane Ranch.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1222 on: June 18, 2010, 01:21:29 PM »
Oh, right! Good one, thanks. I'd totally forgotten about that feature.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1223 on: June 19, 2010, 12:35:09 PM »
Played some co-op with Sceneman and Eel today; still waiting to hear if I messed up their run at glory by dying while in their posse.

Played a bit more multiplayer tonight, cleared Survival and Hunter Challenges and am working through level two in Tall Trees.

Um... cougars.
 :omg :dizzy :ninja

Not my favorite animal now. The get up on you, swipe your ass off, pick it up, hold it up for you to see, and say, "See this? This is your ass." I ended up glitching the knife kill by standing on a box at Tanner's Love Shack.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1224 on: June 20, 2010, 04:56:28 AM »
Had some good timing and managed to posse up with Eel. Blew through all the gang hideouts in one go, nabbing the "Have gun, will travel" 'cheev. Encountered a really ill-advised griefer who rolled up on us after Eel had supplied both of us with Buffalo Rifles.

Good times.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1225 on: June 20, 2010, 08:09:53 AM »
Had some good timing and managed to posse up with Eel. Blew through all the gang hideouts in one go, nabbing the "Have gun, will travel" 'cheev. Encountered a really ill-advised griefer who rolled up on us after Eel had supplied both of us with Buffalo Rifles.

Good times.

i hated losing that rifle when i logged off  :gloomy
sup

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1226 on: June 20, 2010, 11:19:25 AM »
Yeah, I logged on a little earlier tonight, and was trying to find the Legendary Wolf for a lvl.2 hunting challenge, and some cocksmith decided it would be more fun to start sniping me while I rode around. If I'd had a longer range weapon, it might have been more fun.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1227 on: June 21, 2010, 10:27:10 AM »
The "Outlaws to the End" DLC pack releases tomorrow for free.  Six co-op missions for 2-4 players.  Thank goodness, even I was starting to get a little tired of Free Roam.

Who's down?  I'm down.  You down?
sup

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1228 on: June 21, 2010, 10:31:12 AM »
I'm down...

... but out of town.

Will play upon my return.
PSP

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1229 on: June 21, 2010, 10:36:29 AM »
Here are the six missions:

Walton’s Gold
Walton’s Gang have taken control of a mining camp rich with gold.  Fight through the camp and load your mine cart with as much gold as you can carry and get out as fast as you can – Walton’s boys have rigged the place to blow!

The River
Ride a raft down river, taking out rebel encampments along the way until you reach the rebel stronghold of Nosalida and a final epic battle for the town’s massive weapons caches. Watch out for Gatling gun-equipped enemy rafts.

Ammunition
The Mexican Army has the town of Tesoro Azul under siege.  Storm the gates under heavy cannon, Gatling gun and sniper fire to destroy the Mexican artillery placements.

The Kidnapped Girl
Another gang has taken over Fort Mercer, and they’re holding a farmer’s daughter hostage. You and your crew will need to charge the fort and eliminate the gang with all firepower necessary – then fend off enemy reinforcements as you transport the girl by stagecoach safely to her home at Ridgewood Farm.

The Escape
You and your teammates must attack and steal a gold coach along with a wagon and a Gatling gun.  Once acquired, you will be sent to turn them in to the American Army and then must clear out remaining resistance in the town of Tumbleweed.  After clearing the town, prepare for an explosive standoff that will take you all the way to Mexico.

The Herd
Cattle rustlers have taken control of Box Canyon.  Fight your way in and wipe out the rustlers, then use teamwork to protect the herd as you lead them home to Armadillo while drawing heavy fire from snipers and reinforcements on horseback.

The River and The Escape sound badass :hyper
sup

Robo

« Reply #1230 on: June 21, 2010, 11:30:10 AM »
I'm most certainly down.
obo

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1231 on: June 21, 2010, 11:33:25 AM »
Sounds awesome. I'll have to get the game back from my friend tomorrow.
©ZH

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1232 on: June 21, 2010, 01:30:19 PM »
I think I fixed my router issues :hyper

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1233 on: June 21, 2010, 03:37:07 PM »
[youtube=560,345]sEInsKJ3xyU[/youtube]
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1234 on: June 21, 2010, 03:51:26 PM »
btw, i think "outlaws to the end" is a pretty stupid name for this dlc, since you're playing the roles of heroes in all the missions

should have saved that for a dlc where you terrorize and rob towns and such
sup

Robo

« Reply #1235 on: June 21, 2010, 04:04:20 PM »
I really hope they give us some DLC in the form of single player story missions somewhere along the line, like The Ballad of Gay Tony, et al.  After wrapping up the SP, I am dying for more story.

Additionally, I'd really want it to be prequel content (like the rise and fall of the original Dutch's Gang sort of stuff) and NOT post-script content, for a variety of reasons.
obo

Robo

« Reply #1236 on: June 21, 2010, 04:12:04 PM »
I just realized how odd it is to want more story in a Rockstar game.  It's not even that the story itself was particularly great (although by videogame standards, it's pretty goddamn good), but they really nailed the characters, the scenarios, and the dialouge.  I want more of that. 
obo

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1237 on: June 21, 2010, 04:19:25 PM »
I wanted to see some of that "early Dutch's Gang" stuff in the game, too.  I wanted to feel hesitant about liking Marston, especially when he told Bonnie "We killed people we didn't like."  I came away thinking

Ross had a bit of a point in some of the things he said to Marston.  John Marston never paid for his past crimes - as a matter of fact, he ended up owning a lovely ranch with lots of land.  What about the men he killed, and all the grieving wives and sons he left behind?  Instead we got a lot of long-winded explanations about how the gang were really a bunch of Robin Hoods (although this directly contradicts with the murderous personalities of the gang members he hunts down) and how he never did any of the worst business himself (again, directly contradicted by the previous quote - and, if you're riding with cutthroats, you're likely to have cut some throats yourself at one point or another).
[close]

I get that he's supposed to be the hero, and that the villains are painted with a cartoonish brush, but I would have liked to have seen a little more "Anti" there, if only in some brief flashbacks.  It's an okay story, but I don't follow along with those who have been fawning all over it on the various message boards.  It's a well-worn tale outside of video games.

But, I am looking for nuance in a Rockstar game...
sup

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1238 on: June 21, 2010, 04:30:27 PM »
I'd like to hear less of the "GUBMENT IS MESSIN WIT US" shit.  Everything else I'd fuck a sheep to get more of.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1239 on: June 21, 2010, 04:38:25 PM »
I thought it was a great story for videogame terms which I judge separately than movie or book terms. (Lets be honest. I judge them in light of them being inferior)

A lot of great characters. And more importantly they got the tone right for a lot of it.

Robo

« Reply #1240 on: June 21, 2010, 04:50:14 PM »
Yeah, they really lost the trail with Marston's back story.  If his Robin Hood-esque take on his past behavior is accurate (and he repeats it so often that he must certainly believe it is, which is the most important thing here), how is this even a redemption story? 

As much as I want to roll with Dutch's Gang, robbing banks and shit, if they make DLC around those early events, it might be nice to portray them in with less (or even opposite) bias; possibly using a different main character on the other side of the law, for instance.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 04:55:12 PM by RoboJ »
obo

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1241 on: June 21, 2010, 04:55:29 PM »
Yeah, they really lost the trail with Marston's back story.  If his Robin Hood-esque take on his past behavior is accurate (and he repeats it so often that he must certainly believe it is), how is this even a redemption story? 

As much as I want to roll with Dutch's Gang, robbing banks and shit, if they make DLC around those early events, it might be nice to portray them in with less (or even opposite) bias; possibly using a different main character on the other side of the law, for instance.
I'd love to either play a straight up outlaw in this setting or play a straight up good guy busting baddies left and right.  I felt they missed a lot with not choosing a side.  Robbing banks and shit would be so so so awesome.  getting shitfaced in brothels and catching std's and shooting cheats would the shiznit.

Robo

« Reply #1242 on: June 21, 2010, 05:05:50 PM »
Yeah, I dunno why they even bothered with the honor system if they were going to make it so it has zero effect on ANYTHING other than shop prices.  The end of the game is humorously ironic if you chose to play through it as a villian.  I doubt that was the intention.
obo

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1243 on: June 21, 2010, 05:08:30 PM »
Yeah, i stopped giving a shit about honor when I realized it only affected shop prices.  I thought it would be like Fable where people were scared and shit and no one would like me so it'd force me to be good.  but no one gives a shit.  They forget about it after a few minutes.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1244 on: June 21, 2010, 05:18:16 PM »
they used to put medicine on the end of a thin glass rod and stick it in your dickhole to treat syphilis

just throwing that out there
sup

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1245 on: June 21, 2010, 05:24:03 PM »
mmmmm  dickholes

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1246 on: June 21, 2010, 06:29:12 PM »
I'd like to hear less of the "GUBMENT IS MESSIN WIT US" shit.  Everything else I'd fuck a sheep to get more of.
I'm reading a brief history of America, and the idea that people there would be near obsessed with big government intervention isn't all that surprising.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1247 on: June 21, 2010, 10:30:40 PM »
This is me, last night:

public free roam; multiplayer; players (1) : chronovore
[old cowboy guy] Hm. No one's here. Guess I'll try and get that Public Enemy 'cheev while no one is online and gunning for me.
BOUNTY: $20, $40, $200, $500, $895
DEAD.
BOUNTY: $20, $40, $160, $300, $500
DEAD.
[old cowboy guy] Fuck!
BOUNTY: $20, $40, $200, $500, $700
DEAD.
[old cowboy guy] Fuckity fuck! I'll play the single player game for a bit then.
[Marsten] Oh, hai. All the Survival challenges I've just finished in multiplayer. PASS.
A NEW BOUNTY HAS BEEN POSTED
[Marsten] Oh, rock out. US$600 alive? BABY, COME TO PAPA.
*rides out to the base, sees a path up the mountain*
[Marsten] I'll just chuck some dynamite down into their camp from the top of the mountain. ...Say, what's this guy doing on the top of the mountain?
BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG
DEAD
[Marsten] Fuck!
*rides again out of Blackwater, warps to base of mountain to get a better approach*
BEAR ATTACK
DEAD
[Marsten] Fuck!
*player goes to bed*

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1248 on: June 21, 2010, 10:38:04 PM »
The co-op free pack adds 100 more points
fat

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1249 on: June 21, 2010, 10:43:09 PM »
yeah I cant wait for that shit, those cheevs will be miiiiine

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1250 on: June 21, 2010, 10:47:55 PM »
new achievements:

Well done 5
Complete a Co-Op mission.

Have posse, will travel 15
Complete all Co-Op missions.

2 guys, 1 Coop 10
Complete a Co-Op mission with just 2 people.

Stake a claim 5
Gold medal any Co-Op mission.

Struck gold 10
Gold medal all Co-Ops missions.

Friends indeed 5
Complete a Co-Op mission without anyone dying.

You rule! 15
Complete all Advanced Co-Op missions.

The mother lode 20
Gold medal all Advanced Co-Op missions.

Dodge this 10
Achieve a kill chain of 10 or more in any Advanced Co-Op mission.

Bulletproof 5
Complete a Co-Op mission without dying.

you get multiplayer XP for doing these missions, so I should rack up plenty while going for all of these. I plan on getting the Level 50 cheev eventually. Going for the 20 missions on the same horse cheev now.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1251 on: June 22, 2010, 12:03:41 AM »
i like that you can actually die instead of just respawning endlessly like the free roam gang hideouts
sup

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1252 on: June 22, 2010, 12:04:42 AM »
Well, I'd be surprised if that changes. I'd like to see that, it would be a neat win condition, but I think they'll stick with respawns.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1253 on: June 22, 2010, 12:18:56 AM »
alright team, we have to get ALL the gold medals. daddy needs his 1100 gamerscore

PS. sorry Eel for acting weird on XBL last night, I had a bad cold and it took me ages to even figure out you were in the same free roam as me  :-\ I could barely talk etc.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1254 on: June 22, 2010, 12:21:26 AM »
i'll have to resist my natural impulse to run or ride my horse smack into the middle of a gang blazing away with the semi-auto shotgun :lol

btw, just leveled up to 35 tonight, permanent high power pistol :hyper
sup

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1255 on: June 22, 2010, 12:53:19 AM »
High-powered pistol: permanent boner.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1256 on: June 22, 2010, 01:08:12 AM »
I just wanna hit level 50 for the damn Buffalo Rifle, Im at 30 now

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1257 on: June 22, 2010, 07:03:11 AM »
I played The Escape just now, and, well, don't get too excited.  It was way easy, even easier than some of the normal gang hideouts.  The only time I was ever in any trouble was when I ran out in front of a cannon like a dumbass.  Seemed like there were very few enemies. Maybe in the advanced version you get the wagon with the gatling gun, but we only got to ride in the gold coach.
sup

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1258 on: June 22, 2010, 07:21:18 AM »
did you check the gold medal criteria? Maybe thats where the challenge lies?

Got my "Spurred to Victory" chev anyhow. Just hit the hay but will check out the co-op missions when I get home tomorrow.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1259 on: June 22, 2010, 07:25:01 AM »
we got the gold medal and it said "silver challenges unlocked"

expert aiming might be the way to go here to make it more fun for everyone, and maybe we just overlooked the gatling gun coach

will play some more at lunch if anyone's on
sup