Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption screens, and trailer!  (Read 181761 times)

Himu

Re: Red Dead Redemption screens, and trailer!
« Reply #1560 on: August 20, 2010, 02:46:13 AM »
:rofl

The other day I was running my stallion at TOP SPEED around the MacFarlene Ranch and and suddenly John was in a house and I couldn't get out :rofl
IYKYK

drew

• sy
« Reply #1561 on: August 20, 2010, 08:54:01 AM »
you don't even know what the top speed is, yet

hint: gold is good

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1562 on: August 20, 2010, 12:29:03 PM »
:rofl

The other day I was running my stallion at TOP SPEED around the MacFarlene Ranch and and suddenly John was in a house and I couldn't get out :rofl

Yeah, the physics are fun. Tonight, while clearing a gang hideout, I disarmed a guy, shot him again and he flew through to the other side of the wall, on the awning. He had no way to get down, and nothing to do while he was out there. Lonely AI creature, so sad.  :'(

Himu

« Reply #1563 on: August 20, 2010, 12:34:38 PM »
:lol
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1564 on: August 21, 2010, 01:04:18 PM »
A good night this evening in RDR. Scenester needs to change his name to Chief Eight Beers, and I will become the shaman, Old Man.

Lots of n00bs tonight; easy hunting for a fogey with my attenuated reflexes. There was one kids I killed about a dozen times, he seemed to have the headshot thing DOWN PAT, but he liked to run. Running was the only mode of locomotion this guy knew. So he was visible all over the map. I wonder if anyone will ever tell him.

Did a gang hideout, had a guy ride in and NOT SHOOT ME, so we cleaned house on three gang hideouts, didn't use any mics, and when it was done, we'd just jump up and down to show our distinguished gentlemanly love for the game.

I've been encountering more of these guys who are super good at headshots, but otherwise playing for crap. RDR must have a similar control scheme to something else they play... GTA IV?

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1565 on: August 22, 2010, 05:55:23 PM »
"Chief Eight Beers"  :lol I like it!

Yeah me and Chronovore played all weekend, I was often drunk, though. Still, I was barely coherent enough for us to boost some multiplayer achievements.

I tried to help out with some advanced co-op missions, everything was running smoothly until our team-mate, who can be accurately described as a "distinguished mentally-challenged stoner" decided it would be hilarious to team kill us all with dynamite. I say we stick to private co-op from now on  :( Advanced isnt too tough as I can take my level 50 arsenal into the fray (Mauser and Buffalo FTW), so I'll be able to help you gold all of those no sweat brother.

In return it would be cool if we can jump into some "private" Shootouts and let me shoot you in the head with sniper rifles a few times, so that I may pass into legend sooner.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1566 on: August 22, 2010, 06:15:27 PM »
also thread title should be changed. The game has been out for ages.

How about "Red Dead Megathread". It rhymes.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1567 on: August 22, 2010, 06:43:15 PM »
How about "Red Dead Redeemed" since all the goddamned analysts thought it /might/ sell one million. Maybe two?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1568 on: August 22, 2010, 06:44:04 PM »
BTW, played WAY too much of this this weekend, and went to bed seeing visions of Armadillo and Las Hermanas on my way to sleep.  :-\

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1569 on: August 22, 2010, 10:36:01 PM »
lol, that happened to me when I played 15 hours of multi over 2 days when I had a cold.

to quote Detroit rapper Esham: "I close my eyes and see visions of niccas bustin' guns"

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1570 on: August 23, 2010, 06:28:17 PM »
lol, RDR keeps distracting me from everything else!

I'm a bit worried about October, tons of sweet crap is coming out and I'm going to be a dirty poor design student  :'(
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 06:37:20 PM by The Sceneman »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1571 on: August 23, 2010, 06:57:16 PM »
Don't worry, Scenester! You'll still be wrapping up Legend-5 for RDR, a game you already own! Gotta get that Zdonk!

I played some late night last night. I think I was up against Germans, French, and A-rabs. I actually won a few rounds!
:rock Amurican Cowboy Advantage :rock

Slime, what did you think of Mexico compared to the previous missions?

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1572 on: August 23, 2010, 07:00:19 PM »
Sadly, youre right  :'(

I've got an awful feeling that I'll probably get to Legend 5 just by playing all the DLC that they are planning on releasing.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1573 on: August 24, 2010, 06:24:26 PM »
Played some more multi last night, got the double barrel shotgun and bolt action rifle in gold now.

Now I just need:

25 more Mauser Headshots
30 more Rolling Block Headshots
40 more Carcano Rifle headshots
and 20 more Buffalo Rifle headshots

and then my gold arsenal will be complete!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1574 on: August 24, 2010, 06:28:53 PM »
Got the 25 Dynamite kills 'cheev last night. Considering my mediocre skill level, few things are as fun as throwing explosives into an enclosed area where several people are focused on fine aiming. :lol :lol :lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1575 on: August 25, 2010, 03:28:22 AM »
I switched to Expert aiming options yesterday, played a mess... I don't really notice a lot of difference. It still locks on, still sticks to them a bit. I'd say if the opponents use a "roll" defense at all, there's no noticeable difference. I don't really understand the point...

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1576 on: August 25, 2010, 06:51:04 AM »
unlocked my golden Mauser and Buffalo rifle  :D

Now 12 more headshots with the Rolling Block, 27 with the Carcano.

So friggn close to having every weapon in gold!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1577 on: August 26, 2010, 11:21:15 AM »
I might have B.O. When I entered free roam tonight, there were a half dozen or more guys on, and then BANG, I was alone.

Some nice German joined, posse'd up, and helped me clear gang hideouts. I was playing with headphones tonight, so no microphone. I think because I use the Sarah Grace model in multi, without any voice, and because my profile says "Osaka," he probably thought he was rolling with some loli ~uguu~ schoolgirl. More like LOL~i.

Anyway, Scenester, I cleared the Lawbringer II Challenges, and made level 40 in one clean swoop. So as soon as I'm level 41, I can help you clear the Lawbringer III Challenges. They only open at 41.  :maf

On the bright side of level 40, I now have the BONZO mount. I can ride steak!

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1578 on: August 26, 2010, 04:59:39 PM »
lol, actually I just passed into Legend!

I have unlocked all Golden Guns 100% legit with NO BOOSTING. I am very proud of this achievement. I am a monster with the sniper rifles now (sniping during gold rush matches was good practice lol) so I'll be able to help you dominate some co-op missions. I lost my dream load-out but the gunslinger class has a Carcano Rifle, which is all I need  8)

I also now have 1200/1200 gamerscore. Bring on more DLC!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 05:03:33 PM by The Sceneman »

drew

• sy
« Reply #1579 on: August 26, 2010, 05:36:23 PM »
...and now youll stop playing altogether ::)

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1580 on: August 26, 2010, 05:45:29 PM »
actually, I probably wont! I'm sure I'll still jump on for gang matches in weekends with Chronovore, and I'll get right back into the game proper when they release more stuff to do.

I will be taking a break from Red Dead during the week, though. I've been rinsing it pretty hard.

Please also be aware that there is no achievement for getting golden guns, I did it for fun and becuase I wanted to. (I know I said Im proud of this 'achievement', but there is no xbox achievement tied to it). You can stop playing the "achievement whore" card.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 05:47:31 PM by The Sceneman »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1581 on: August 26, 2010, 07:14:42 PM »
But... but you ARE an Achievement Whore!

Congrats on the 1200/1200 gamerscore. I've been wondering if I'll manage that one myself! I may need to find an underpopulated Free Roam and boost the three-in-a-row FFA/Gang matches with you, because I kick ass at Gold Rush but end up sucking hind tit on Shootout matches.  :lol

I am enjoying anything in Rio Bravo; hatchets favor my gameplay style: creep around on the ground and fire first. I win hatchet fights about 3/4s of the time, but in a gunfight I win 1/4 thanks to my inability to quickly readjust for headshots.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Red Dead Redemption Liars and Cheats DLC - 9/21 details
« Reply #1582 on: August 27, 2010, 02:21:23 PM »
http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/8041/red_dead_redemption_dlc_update_liars_and_cheats_pack_coming_9_21_with_expanded_free_roam_content_&_new_details_on_undead_nightmare_pack.article

Dunno how I feel about this, sounds like it's going to splinter up the Free Roam even further:

We are excited to bring you our next packs, starting with the September 21st 2010 debut of our Free Roam release: the Liars and Cheats Pack, which focuses on expanding the Free Roam multiplayer experience as well as adding new modes to Competitive Multiplayer.

The Liars and Cheats Pack will contain a great range of new highly-requested features to expand the Free Roam world including Multiplayer Poker and Liar’s Dice, as well as a brand new Competitive Multiplayer gameplay mode.  The Liars and Cheats Pack will also include the content previously announced as the Free Roam Pack.  The Free Roam Pack was originally planned as a free download, but due to the platform networks’ restrictions on numbers of free packs we can give away (and our promise to bring you the free Hunting and Trading Outfits Pack – more on that below), we have instead added it to the Liars and Cheats Pack as one Free Roam release boasting the following features and more:

Multiplayer Poker and Liar's Dice Games
One of the most fan-requested features comes to multiplayer.

Multiplayer Horse Races
Ride out against your friends and foes online - with mounted combat guns blazing.

The Explosive Rifle
A devastatingly destructive new weapon with its own new single-player and multiplayer challenges.

7 New Gang Hideouts
Posse up and take on the new Hideouts together to level up quickly.

4 New Hunting Grounds
New Hunting Grounds are now visible on the map for all to see, with some of the most action-packed wildlife hunting yet.

Stronghold Competitive Multiplayer Mode
Teams take turns in attack and defense in multi-tiered Competitive games.

Posse Scoring and Leaderboards
Compare stats with other posses and compete to see who are the kings of the Free Roam frontier.

Plus, 15 additional multiplayer characters from the Red Dead Redemption storyline are being made available as multiplayer characters, and more all-new Achievements and Trophies.

This pack will be released on September 21st worldwide for download on both PlayStation Network ($9.99) and Xbox LIVE (800 Microsoft Points).  Stay tuned for lots more detail on the content in this pack including first screens and more.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 02:23:59 PM by Eel O'Brian »
sup

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1583 on: August 27, 2010, 04:30:01 PM »
I dunno, Legends and Killers sold real well (the lobbies are always pretty full for matches), and this pack offers sooooo much more content so an assload of players are gonna buy it. I think.

Fuck I'm pumped for this. 7 new hideouts! Racing!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1584 on: August 28, 2010, 12:17:55 AM »
7 new hideouts is exciting.

drew

• sy
« Reply #1585 on: August 28, 2010, 01:11:37 PM »
it'll be hard going back to this with reach and dr2 out :/

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1586 on: August 29, 2010, 05:15:06 PM »
I'm not interested in Reach, and DR2 fills a different gaming niche... RDR is good because you can just blob out and play it (even while inebriated). I imagine DR2 is gonna be pretty challenging.

That said I'm going to give RDR a rest for a few weeks. I've been playing it far too much. But I'm gonna be all over this new DLC :hyper

Actually cant wait! Double the gang hideouts, lots of new game types... OMG so pumped.

Eel you better be jumping back on for this shit

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1587 on: August 29, 2010, 05:54:06 PM »
i've been meaning to get back to it, just haven't had the time

then mafia 2 came out so i want to finish that

i even let my xbl sub expire, so i have to re-up that
sup

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1588 on: August 29, 2010, 06:09:20 PM »
you didn't get amongst the awesome free XBL scam a few months back?  :(

Well, hopefully you find the time to jump back in to GOTY soon!

I'm actually very tempted to jump back in and grind for the golden tomahawk in the meantime while waiting for the Liars and Cheats Packs... but no! Must play something else.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #1589 on: September 02, 2010, 03:05:06 AM »
Just got this. Before I go ahead with my plan to be the biggest dickhead in the west, will I miss out on anything by being super dishonorable?
zzzzz

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1590 on: September 02, 2010, 04:53:50 AM »
In singleplayer or multiplayer?

Singleplayer, I think you'll get a discount from merchants after reaching a certain level of either Fame or Honor, and likely people will not say nice stuff to you. There were some approaches by NPCs to give a couple of items and sometimes cash on my honorable playthrough. There may be alternate items for honorless, or maybe it's just a perk for playing clean.

In multiplayer, being a dick in a group is apparently par for the course, but being a dick alone will get some reaction. There is, however, a whole set of Outlaw Challenges for being a dick in Free Roam. Becoming Public Enemy and getting a huge bounty, engaging with PVP while a Public Enemy... there's a lot more encouragement to be a dick in multi than there is in single.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1591 on: September 03, 2010, 01:11:19 PM »
OK, turns out there are perks for being dishonorable.

Tonight I popped the 'cheev for clearing a $5K+ bounty with a pardon letter, and getting there took me from full Honor to fully negative Honor. There were messages along the way, detailing the results of my diabolical acts:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
  • Townsfolk become increasingly fearful, and can be bribed to overlook minor transgressions.
  • At increasingly negative Honor, they will overlook bigger crimes, eventually only reporting when you openly murder someone.
  • Instead of all towns' merchants offering a discount, the Thieves Landing shops will offer it.
  • At max negative Honor, an undead horse with skull-like markings on its head will become your steed for as long as you stay entirely dishonorable. It's pretty cool.
[close]

...But I think I'm going to revert and play from an earlier savedata file, and keep my Honor high. The whole misadventure was actually not as fun as playing the good guy, which is harder in its own way.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 01:13:05 PM by chronovore »

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1592 on: September 03, 2010, 01:29:32 PM »
that horse kind of sucks (i tried it out), it's the slowest horse in the game

http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Horse
sup

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #1593 on: September 03, 2010, 02:28:19 PM »
 :D
With sales of 6.9m for the recently released Red Dead Redemption, you can bet your horse on the fact that work on the next game in the series is well underway – and MCV was recently told what it’s called.

Speaking to MCV under strict conditions of intoxication, one employee of a services provider currently working on some early technical work for the game casually referred to it as Red Dead Revolution.

Before brushing the comment aside and pretending that nothing had happened.

The name, if correct, certainly sits in with previous treatment of the brand. Those of you with long memories will remember that prior to the official announcement of Red Dead Redemption, many were referring to the game as Red Dead Revolution.

And just prior to the release of the last title, Rockstar released a trailer for the game called – yes, you guessed it – Revolution.
Article continues below

Official confirmation of the name is unlikely to emerge this side of Christmas, so it’s likely to be a long wait to find out how accurate our wine-supping friend has been.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/40737/What-is-the-next-Red-Dead-game-called

:hyper
cat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1594 on: September 03, 2010, 02:48:58 PM »
i hope this eventually gets ported to PC
nat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #1595 on: September 03, 2010, 02:57:16 PM »
Go away,port it yourself.

We need a sequel,not some port.
cat

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #1596 on: September 03, 2010, 03:00:29 PM »

They want it to sell and make money. Not just get downloaded off of piratebay.

:patel

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 03:03:06 PM by Stoney Mason »

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1597 on: September 03, 2010, 03:19:45 PM »
their ports suck shit anyway
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1598 on: September 03, 2010, 03:26:39 PM »
although the mods would be insane
sup

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1599 on: September 04, 2010, 09:24:01 AM »
that horse kind of sucks (i tried it out), it's the slowest horse in the game

http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Horse

I'm going to reload from an earlier, high-honor save point, and pretend that poor Mr. Cowboy was just having bad dreams of mowing down every civilian and lawman in Blackstone and wiping out all the buffalo to no particular end. Bad dreams born from a troubled childhood.

I don't like playing bad guys, despite my infatuation with the GTA series. Even in those games, I rarely do the Rampage activities. Just not my thing, I guess.

Anyone else playing multiplayer this weekend? I'm having trouble staying in sessions due to "connectivity issues."

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1600 on: September 04, 2010, 02:11:16 PM »
Was having trouble even connecting to XBL earlier tonight. That's extra fun when you're on a new 360 and haven't even managed to copy your Download History entirely back into the thing. "Oh, I can't multi in RDR? I'll just play some Carcassonne so I might eventually win one of the games against JonnyRam. Oh, hey, I downloaded the expansions but not the actual game. OK, I'll just... oh, wait. Wheeeee~."

Now it's 3 a.m. and I'm going to bed, but I was finally able to connect to XBL and get in a fairly decent game of Shootout.

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #1601 on: September 04, 2010, 04:17:48 PM »

So there won't be a 360 version of the sequel? :drake
Drunk

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #1602 on: September 04, 2010, 04:25:49 PM »

So there won't be a 360 version of the sequel? :drake

1. Red Dead Redemption (Xbox 360), 945,900
2. Red Dead Redemption (PS3), 567,100

360 can sustain a nice pirate base and still sell software.

:bow2

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1603 on: September 05, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
Just before XBL became inaccessible for me last night, I was seeing one player repeatedly walking across the same patch of land, the same way when the game is trying to resolve some nasty lag. I got up on top of the roof, the guy came up after me, didn't see me and I unloaded 8 shots into the crown of his head at close range as he continued walking, not shooting. Finally he dies, and a full second later my character dies, announced as killed by the guy I just killed.

I almost messaged the guy to ask if he was using a lagswitch, but now I think this was just a precursor of things turning to utter crap on XBL overall.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1604 on: September 09, 2010, 01:01:24 AM »
My XBL issues have disappeared during the week, so I'm increasingly thinking it is MS itself, prepping for their Fall update. Lame. They likely won't be giving away free games this time.

Pre-emptively: Yeah, yeah: "Cool story, bro."

The other day I had decided to play "one last Free For All" before heading out to work. It turned out to be a Gold Rush at MacFarlane Ranch, which timed-out with me in a three-way tie; it went into overtime with one bag left on the map. There were probably 12 people in the match, three of whom were trying to win, and another four or five were camping and just shooting anyone who got near the bag. I've seen additional bags spawn, but I'm not sure if it's overtime compensation, or just for bags which get lost in water or outside the defined game area... it didn't happen this time. The 10 minute match had over 8 minutes of overtime. It didn't make me late for work, but I didn't arrive as early as I'd hoped. :^/ In the end I lost because I went after the campers, freeing up the bag area.

Freeing up the bag area sounds like a euphemism for wearing boxers.

Anyway: This morning I was in the same "just one more round" situation, Gold Rush in Chuparosa. The middle of the plaza always turns into a Pyrrhic mess with all the inward-facing camping spots, so I was pretty sure things would get ugly and go long. Sure enough, I was in another three-way tie at the end of the countdown, staring out from the hotel into the open plaza. But when the new bags appeared, the collection box was right there in the hotel foyer, and a bag on the upstairs balcony. I kept my head down, scooted up the stairs, briefly outside, grabbed the bag, and quietly back down the stairs for the W. Woooooooooooooooooooooot!

This is definitely my GOTY, probably my 2nd favorite game next to Saints Row/SR2. It's so compelling, and I haven't played this much multiplayer since Doom 2 and Hexen LAN parties.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1605 on: September 09, 2010, 01:07:15 AM »
I'm having a Red Dead hiatus at the moment, but I'm gonna be right back into it when the DLC drops on the 21st.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1606 on: September 09, 2010, 11:58:30 AM »
I'm probably 5 or so sessions away from getting 3 or 4 gold weapons. I'm not going to go all-out like you did; I don't have the patience, and I'm about to max my level. I could bump to Legend 2 really fast if I did co-op missions or gang hideouts, but I want to get a couple gold weapons at least, and that means PVP.

It's nice that I'm pulling off more headshots now, but it's truly ridiculous, this gap in my skill level and the truly dangerous. I see a legend 3 or 4 guy ahead of me, he hasn't noticed, I start to unload in his back. After the very first shot hits, he rolls, does a 180º turn and one-shot headshots me. I can't even get angry, it's such a thing of violent beauty.

Himu

« Reply #1607 on: September 09, 2010, 12:33:09 PM »
Seth  :spin
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1608 on: September 12, 2010, 09:42:20 PM »
Well, I hit level 50... this time legit. I buttonmashed through level 50 when the Free Roam was glitching, assuming I'd never play this much multiplayer. I still suck, but I make up for skill with volume. Hence level 50 was hit with no golden weapons.

AND SO WE GRIND: Now I've got a golden Schofield Revolver and a golden Volcanic Pistol. I'm likely to get a gold Winchester, Double-Action Revolver, and a Semi-Automatic Pistol in the next session or two. After that, I'ma Pass Into Legend in time for the new DLC... the rest of the weapons require like 25 or 30 more headshots, and I just don't have it in me. It's depressing to grind for gold weapons and not get any XP for it.

Lastly: HOLY MACKEREL, the guys in Legends and Killers multiplayer are Not Casual At All. Out of 16 players in a full lobby, they're about 2/3rds Legend, commonly with one or two Legend "5" (Legend 4 Level 50), and everyone else is 2 or 3. It's sick. If I go in there and land above the lowest third for a couple games, my supertuned reflexes usually lead to utter domination in the standard Free For All matches.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1609 on: September 13, 2010, 06:59:11 AM »
:bow bow to my golden guns :bow2

theres some screens for the new DLC and some good Q&As posted here recently: http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption/news well worth a read.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1610 on: September 13, 2010, 11:04:21 AM »
Picked up the golden Double-Action Revolver tonight. Now I see why some people just play Gold Rush to collect headshots. I felt like a dick, but there was a spot in Las Hermanas where two douchebags (en Español: dos douchebaggos) had dropped a total of three bags. I sat in a corner and waited for people to show up. Got 7 or 8 headshots, even as they cottoned to my intent and began rushing my entrenched position.

I'm a long ways away from headshots on everything except the semi-auto pistol. I may do that. But I think it's time to play a different game... at least until the 21st.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1611 on: September 13, 2010, 11:04:59 AM »
Oh, and that's good news, mang. New play modes, new hideouts, a bunch of stuff. I may eventually hit Legend 3...!

GilloD

• TAKE THE LIFE OF FRED ASTAIRE. MAKE HIM PAY. TRANSFER HIS FAME TO YOU.
« Reply #1612 on: September 13, 2010, 07:56:49 PM »
Finally got to play. Everything I dreamed and more. It's weird, it had to be pretty well along in it's dev cycle by the time GTA 4 hit, but it's such a separate game and it really manages to do so many things right that GTA 4 did wrong. The notion that it's "Grand Theft Auto in the Old West" is so far off the mark I can't believe it.

The voice acting is incredible and the facial animations are really wonderful.
wha

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1613 on: September 14, 2010, 03:57:32 AM »
Yeah, the idea that it's GTA Old West is only apparent in a few places. In the GTA III series, as well as BULLY, the Rockstar flourish in characters tends toward the outrageous, and most characters are painted with a more subtle brush than that. Seth and Professor MacDougal are notable exceptions; maybe the Mexican rebel leader as well. They're intended to be comic relief in an otherwise serious story though.

In contrast, GTA IV stepped far away from their history of having all their characters be crazy to trying for that "Oscar-winning story" which, considering the continuity in GTA IV's cheap humor in the shop names and radio DJ banter, made the characters overall feel out of step with the history of the series. Brucie is the main holdout, and I think it's why many gamers like him so much: he feels right for the environment we're expecting.

RDR isn't saddled with a lot of history (neither pun is intended), so it is free to make its own vibe. The environment they've crafted still has some of that humor, but it works as a serious story overall. And, yeah, some of those facial animations are really lovely and subtle.

chronovore

• relapsed dev

cool breeze

« Reply #1615 on: September 14, 2010, 11:04:06 AM »
does anyone want a Golden Guns Weapon Pack code for the 360?

I was checking my old email and I think Amazon gave me two (one in the game box, one through email).

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1616 on: September 14, 2010, 11:23:19 AM »
Amazon is giving away free Legends and Killers if you buy it from them (it's $55 on their site)
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1617 on: September 14, 2010, 11:31:05 AM »
does anyone want a Golden Guns Weapon Pack code for the 360?

I was checking my old email and I think Amazon gave me two (one in the game box, one through email).

If no-one else bites, I'm your huckleberry. I will be playing through again soon.

GilloD

• TAKE THE LIFE OF FRED ASTAIRE. MAKE HIM PAY. TRANSFER HIS FAME TO YOU.
« Reply #1618 on: September 14, 2010, 06:35:04 PM »
Thanks for popping in last night, Chrono. I'm headset-less at the moment, there's one in the mail. Also, my lag as pretty nasty last night. I think it keeps pairing me with USA players, is there a way to pick an XBL 'region'?

Anyway, fun game!
wha

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1619 on: September 15, 2010, 12:44:31 AM »
I've not been able to figure out the matchmaking. I think in our timezone it can be slim pickings during the week.

On the weekends, things seem fairly robust, but it's still easily possible to get stuck in a Gang Match with a bunch of unaffiliated newbies on your team, and a Posse'd Up gang of Legend 3~5 players on the other side. It's inherent with getting stuck in one of those sessions, but it would be nice if these elite players had a way to get re-assigned against each other, and leave us guppies alone.

Also, sorry I shot you in the head so much.