Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3608602 times)

archie4208

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #29220 on: March 08, 2017, 03:44:13 PM »
Hollow Knight is a top tier Metroidvania.  It is easily my second favorite game in the genre behind Super Metroid.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #29221 on: March 09, 2017, 08:52:15 AM »
I find it funny that Zelda, one of the absolute best games this gen, is locked away behind two pieces of decrepit hardware that very few people own. :lol

I'm a bit sad I played Zelda before Horizon. Literally everyone I know who's played both are unanimous that Zelda outclasses it in nearly every way, even if Horizon has better combat and graaafx.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #29222 on: March 09, 2017, 12:19:57 PM »
Shadowman

I forgot that you can't fully map controls to a modern controller, might just play this on a n64 emu with a high res texture mod.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29223 on: March 09, 2017, 01:34:59 PM »
No games matter until I beat Zelda. I purposefully avoided Horizon Zero Dawn and Nier so I wouldn't be distracted from Breath of the Wild. What an incredible game.

That's how things are for me right now, too.  I wanted to finish Nier Automata before Zelda, but I got hooked on Zelda after trying it out and it's all I've played ever since.  Haven't turned my PS4 on in a week.  Might try some Nier again this weekend though. 
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #29224 on: March 09, 2017, 01:44:03 PM »
I'm a bit sad I played Zelda before Horizon. Literally everyone I know who's played both are unanimous that Zelda outclasses it in nearly every way, even if Horizon has better combat and graaafx.

Pretty different kind of games.  I'm not feeling Horizon, but from what I understand it's basically MGS, Ghost Recon type stealth-action game.  Zelda is SkyrimxMinecraftxZelda.

No games matter until I beat Zelda. I purposefully avoided Horizon Zero Dawn and Nier so I wouldn't be distracted from Breath of the Wild. What an incredible game.

That's how things are for me right now, too.  I wanted to finish Nier Automata before Zelda, but I got hooked on Zelda after trying it out and it's all I've played ever since.  Haven't turned my PS4 on in a week.  Might try some Nier again this weekend though.

Yeah, I'm just playing Zelda and SRW V.  Nier/FFXIV Heavensward/RE7/Gravity Rush are waiting until Zelda is done.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29225 on: March 09, 2017, 02:40:19 PM »
Bepbo did you even get out of the first area in Horizon yet?

What do you mean MGS/Ghost Recon gameplay? Its nothing like that?

The combat against the machines is one of the things it absolutaly shines in, next to the story, but its very action-y and you need to be prepared and switch strategy's constantly
What

Bebpo

« Reply #29226 on: March 09, 2017, 02:45:15 PM »
I've only played the intro.  I'm sure it's great, but I'm playing Zelda and other stuff so I'll get to it later on.  My friend whose pretty far in told me that the closest comparison is The Phantom Pain with Dinos (in a positive way since TPP is a very good game).

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29227 on: March 09, 2017, 02:50:35 PM »
Wow sounds like Horizon is pretty shit. Sorry MMaRsu
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29228 on: March 09, 2017, 02:51:32 PM »
Well..yes MGSV gameplay is very good, but the story is complete shit. If you like scifi stories like perhaps SOMA then I can tell you this one is amazing. The intro is cool and all with the tribal stuff but the actual story behind the world itself is just so damn interesting.

Also there really is nothing like fighting these crazy huge ass machines. I dunno, its hard to describe lol. Its pretty elaborate.

In that regard I wouldnt compare it to MGSV at all, unless you count the few bandit camps there are.

Dont worry Demi I know you are only joking lol. This game is THE shit, you can say that tho. Actually im pretty meh on Zelda. Framedrops, no proper dungeons, Skyrim-lite esque Zelda isnt really what I'm looking for in my Zelda games. I'm sure its fun to play but eh.
What

Bebpo

« Reply #29229 on: March 09, 2017, 02:58:51 PM »
Well, yeah I'm just talking about gameplay in the MGSV comparison.  You also fight giant mecha dinos in TPP ;P

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29230 on: March 09, 2017, 09:25:57 PM »
I find it funny that Zelda, one of the absolute best games this gen, is locked away behind two pieces of decrepit hardware that very few people own. :lol

Even so, the idea that Guerrilla Games made something that is competitive or comparable to Nintendo's A-game for fun is as newsworthy as it gets in games. Stunning.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #29231 on: March 10, 2017, 02:49:10 AM »
I don't get the comparisons of HZD with TPP or Far Cry. Other than on some extremely superficial level.

To me it's basically TW3 with combat that is actually a lot closer to a souls-like game, in terms of depth and difficulty. Heavy emphasis on dodging, and most mechanical enemies will fuck you up real quick, so they're like mini-bosses in a sense. You can't spam shit like in TW3 either.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #29232 on: March 10, 2017, 09:46:09 AM »
It has "emergent gameplay", hence the Far Cry comparisons. As the Idle Thumbs people would put it: "the grenade rolled down the hill". Use game systems besides combat to succeed, or have them screw you in unpredictable ways that you then react to. You can't do as much in Far Cry 2 (or FC3, where they took the AAA sandpaper to everything and made stealth OP), but in spirit it's the same kind of play. Use the environment rather than a weapon. Try to manipulate the AI into killing themselves. Lure them near an explosive, a cliff, or into tall grass (then set it on fire). That kind of stuff.

edit:
The most recent Idle Thumbs goes into this in great detail. It's basically all about the game and how it's Far Cry 2 (or III, rather).
https://www.idlethumbs.net/idlethumbs/episodes/the-stupidity-and-the-grandeur
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 04:23:31 PM by Rufus »

Syph

« Reply #29233 on: March 12, 2017, 12:31:51 AM »
Anyone with a PS4 needs to try Disc Jam
It's free this month with PS+ and it's highly addicting, especially if you play doubles with friends.

XO

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #29234 on: March 12, 2017, 04:43:03 AM »
Ho shit, that's Windjammers 2017

Syph

« Reply #29235 on: March 12, 2017, 07:18:31 AM »
Ho shit, that's Windjammers 2017
My buddy who told me about Disc Jam said literally the same thing after playing Windjammers with his buddy last weekend haha
XO

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29236 on: March 12, 2017, 01:39:18 PM »
Im more excited for the real windjammers port
What

archie4208

« Reply #29237 on: March 12, 2017, 04:27:16 PM »
Odin Sphere Leifthrasir is :zzz

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #29238 on: March 12, 2017, 04:57:29 PM »
Can enemies still interrupt your combos at any time?

etiolate

« Reply #29239 on: March 13, 2017, 01:32:40 AM »
Started playing Grim Dawn. Level 22, but already worrying about my build being too boring.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29240 on: March 13, 2017, 09:39:28 AM »
Now that I unlocked the fast travel I've been running around doing sidequests in Nier Automata. I LOVE THIS FUCKING GAME
^_^

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #29241 on: March 14, 2017, 03:51:55 AM »
Been playing Monkey Island 2 SE on 360 because it was free recently. I cant stand the updated graphics and the old UI with a joypad really blows ass, so the game is pretty unfun. The humor is also pretty dated unfortunately. And WTF is with the puzzles? I could get down with esoteric point and click stuff when I was a kid, but this shit would take months to figure out. Close the door and put the bucket of mud above it before the guy walks in?! I wouldve ever have got that.

Gonna demo this turd with a FAQ for gamerscore then delete :piss Gonna rock Rayman Origins after that

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29242 on: March 14, 2017, 05:02:37 AM »
Playing games you hate for a gamerscore

Kek

What

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29243 on: March 14, 2017, 10:14:00 AM »
I thought you could switch to the old graphics?
pcp

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #29244 on: March 14, 2017, 03:11:18 PM »
Playing games you hate for a gamerscore

Kek

It's a tried and true tradition of an achievement whore. I'm also ocd about deleting games I haven't 100%'ed

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #29245 on: March 14, 2017, 03:15:31 PM »

You can, and the old graphics are fine, but the old graphics reverts the game to the original UI. Meaning you need to drag a cursor down to select an action, then click on whatever in the game. Real clunky with a controller. New UI  let's you highlight an object in the world and bring up an option wheel

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29246 on: March 14, 2017, 08:44:40 PM »
Been playing Monkey Island 2 SE on 360 because it was free recently. I cant stand the updated graphics and the old UI with a joypad really blows ass, so the game is pretty unfun. The humor is also pretty dated unfortunately. And WTF is with the puzzles? I could get down with esoteric point and click stuff when I was a kid, but this shit would take months to figure out. Close the door and put the bucket of mud above it before the guy walks in?! I wouldve ever have got that.

Gonna demo this turd with a FAQ for gamerscore then delete :piss Gonna rock Rayman Origins after that

I'm glad to read this post. I was JUST thinking about firing this up, but I'm going to kill it before gaining a single Achievement so I can focus on something more fun.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #29247 on: March 16, 2017, 06:30:56 AM »
soda dungeon :uguu

Bebpo

« Reply #29248 on: March 16, 2017, 01:07:01 PM »

You can, and the old graphics are fine, but the old graphics reverts the game to the original UI. Meaning you need to drag a cursor down to select an action, then click on whatever in the game. Real clunky with a controller. New UI  let's you highlight an object in the world and bring up an option wheel

Makes sense, but yeah sounds rough on a controller.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #29249 on: March 16, 2017, 01:09:32 PM »
Those old graphic adventures games for the most part had insanely stupid puzzle solutions. The nostalgia for them often overlooks this.

They need a version of InvisiClues

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #29250 on: March 16, 2017, 01:58:28 PM »
At the very least, something to highlight interactive spots and items. Even if you persist in solving the puzzles without a guide, you will inevitably miss something and only notice when you're desperate enough to rub every item on every surface.

Final Fantasy III (DS)
I've gotten surprisingly far considering how monotonous this game is. Watching or listening to something on the side is mandatory, though I would try without to see if it's even worth your time (it's not, unless nostalgia). I have now reached a point of what I assume is a back to back boss fight (Doga and Unei) at the end of a tedious cave and got my ass beat pretty bad. I can't be fucked to so much as walk back to it, much less grind beforehand. Feels like I got close to the end (fourth fang, presumably about to unlock the final non-hidden jobs), but I hear it only gets more punishing, which in this case means nothing I can begin to imagine is worth trudging through.

Also, this earlier iteration of the job system is meh. At the time it must have been amazing to switch paradigms every once in a while, but with combat this simple it's not enough to break up the monotony. They even felt the need to hamper you with an adjustment period where your stats are lowered every time you switch. Very annoying, considering you often find equipment in out of the way treasure chests that is for jobs you might not be using at the time.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29251 on: March 16, 2017, 03:03:24 PM »
the original version didn't have the stat downgrades. you got points after every battle, and you had to spend those points each time you wanted to switch jobs. the higher the job level, the more points you had to spend. that was the only punishment for switching, and even then it was really easy to have a ton of points. made the game soooo much faster and more fun.
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #29252 on: March 16, 2017, 03:40:27 PM »
Those old graphic adventures games for the most part had insanely stupid puzzle solutions. The nostalgia for them often overlooks this.

:maf

Some of them did for sure, but a lot of them just made you think outside the box.  Most puzzles in games these days are fairly braindead.  I'd rather play something smarter than me and rely on faqs to get through then play something dumber than me that doesn't make me think or get stuck.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 03:56:44 PM by Bebpo »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #29253 on: March 16, 2017, 03:56:13 PM »
the original version didn't have the stat downgrades. you got points after every battle, and you had to spend those points each time you wanted to switch jobs. the higher the job level, the more points you had to spend. that was the only punishment for switching, and even then it was really easy to have a ton of points. made the game soooo much faster and more fun.
Guess I played the wrong version then. :shaq2

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #29254 on: March 16, 2017, 04:13:46 PM »

:maf

Some of them did for sure, but a lot of them just made you think outside the box.  Most puzzles in games these days are fairly braindead.  I'd rather play something smarter than me and rely on faqs to get through then play something dumber than me that doesn't make me think or get stuck.

I enjoy them quite a bit but I can legit say none of them were smarter than me. Some had good senses of humor. Some had fun universes. Some had good art. Most of them were burdened by a few absolutely stupid puzzles that required ridiculous leaps of logic. I love Grim Fandango. One of my favorite games of all time. It still had some dumb puzzles.

I preferred Infocom games from back in the day over the graphic adventure games. And even they fell into occasionally dumb puzzles. Although generally speaking the logic was sounder in them.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 05:48:15 PM by Stoney Mason »

« Reply #29255 on: March 16, 2017, 11:51:06 PM »
FF3DS is pretty trash. Famicom version is still the best way to play that game, it doesn't have the arbitrary difficulty raising of bosses attacking multiple times in a row, and is much faster paced without the forced story too.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #29256 on: March 17, 2017, 12:02:17 AM »
I was going to check for translations at Romhacking, but apparently they have server issues right now. That site is/was an institution. Hope everything's fine. :c
update:
The patient is alive, however RHDN will remain in the ICU for awhile and cannot accept any visitors.

So I just grabbed a pre-patched rom off the old ostrich afterlife, the other age old institution that hopefully never disappears.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 12:12:05 PM by Rufus »

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #29257 on: March 20, 2017, 02:18:55 AM »
That explains why the site wasn't loading. Goddamn it I wanted to play Dragon Force II
reckt

FatalT

« Reply #29258 on: March 20, 2017, 03:20:36 AM »
Haven't posted in forever because Tapatalk FUBAR'd and there's no mobile version and I'll be damned if I'm pinch-zooming on every damn post.

I've been playing the shit out of Ghost Recon: Wildlands on PS4 though. That game is everything I wanted from a multiplayer Metal Gear Solid V.

Fifstar

« Reply #29259 on: March 20, 2017, 07:23:07 AM »
Been playing Dragon's Dogma. Great fucking game. Did we have a thread for it?
Gulp

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #29260 on: March 20, 2017, 01:36:17 PM »
Playing Clicker Heroes on the PS4...is this the depth of degeneracy or is it possible to go deeper? Benji, please respond.
©@©™

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29261 on: March 20, 2017, 01:41:45 PM »
Been playing Dragon's Dogma. Great fucking game. Did we have a thread for it?

Probably - everyone ignored it cause it wasnt on PC at the time. But superior gamers like myself had an amazing time with it.
fat

FatalT

« Reply #29262 on: March 21, 2017, 12:13:48 AM »
Playing Clicker Heroes on the PS4...is this the depth of degeneracy or is it possible to go deeper? Benji, please respond.

Not gonna lie I played that on my phone. A lot. Too much. It was bad. Playing it on a console though? You're in too deep.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #29263 on: March 21, 2017, 05:17:55 AM »
I have like, two different dumb :uguu clickers on muh pc that I just check in on every so often. Am I a shit?
Hi

« Reply #29264 on: March 21, 2017, 11:25:39 PM »
ff9

why doesn't this game get talked about as much as the others?

Freyj

« Reply #29265 on: March 22, 2017, 01:12:14 AM »
9 is or was the new cool one to like best.

Really though that ATB speed is so slow it's unplayable.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29266 on: March 22, 2017, 04:59:45 AM »
ff9

why doesn't this game get talked about as much as the others?

People with OCD hate it because they can't rapidly make choices. 9 is great.
fat

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #29267 on: March 22, 2017, 05:52:31 AM »
Trying to figure out a good game to play after Dishonored 2. Which was really good. Tried getting into Batman Arkham Knight again, but the car stuff really blows.

Bebpo

« Reply #29268 on: March 25, 2017, 03:32:24 AM »
Nightcry: Project Scissors - Snipsnipsnipsnip, I totally forgot Clock Tower 1 was originally a point n' click adventure game with escape sections.  Last CT I played was CT3 on PS2 which played more like Resident Evil/SH.  This is basically CT1 in 3d.  Super jank, controls pretty much suck, but once you get the hang of it it's sorta of nostalgic-y PS1-horror days fun.  Will stick with it for a little.

Bebpo

« Reply #29269 on: March 26, 2017, 03:35:21 AM »
Finished Scene 1 in Nightcry with the first character.  Game is soooooooooooooooo nostalgic 1999 DC/PS1 j-horror.  The english VA is amazing.  It's RE1 levels of camp.  This has already given me my $12 worth of entertainment.  Controls are amazingly terrible though.

archie4208

« Reply #29270 on: March 26, 2017, 09:26:40 AM »
I beat RE7.

7/10 game.  The early and middle sections when you're wandering around the house are great, but it goes downhill after you hit the ship.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29271 on: March 26, 2017, 10:17:37 AM »
I've been playing the Onimusha Series! I never owned Dawn of Dreams (4), so I bought that on eBay.

Onimusha 1 (Genma Onimusha Xbox version): Good, standard gameplay. The Xbox inclusions don't really make it a must-have, so the PS2 version is perfectly fine.

Onimusha 2 (Samurai's Destiny): Good, introduces multiple characters and a form of branching gameplay. Basically you have to suck up to the other characters to be their friend, and the one with the worst betrays you cause he's mad jelly.

Onimusha 3 (Demon Siege): Good, though the change from Jean Reno to [generic american voice] is funny. It's clear the inclusion of Jean Reno was a moneyhat of some kind, his entire character and arc just doesn't really work. He also has a big nose.

Onimusha 4 (Dawn of Dreams): Very jarring gameplay, different from the initial three. You get multiple characters that allow you to access each stages pathways, so it allows you to re-tread levels to unlock items and such. 2 disc game. Has lots of equipment to unlock and level up. Very overwhelming after playing the first three. Still a good game.

Also played Fatal Frame 1 & 2 (Xbox versions):

Fatal Frame is great at atmosphere, but everything else is pretty blah. Fatal Frame 1 is pretty difficult in that there's only so many items in the game, and you can fuck yourself over in the later stages since it gets pretty difficult to fight the ghosts, and if you get hit, practically half your life is gone. I gave up on this.

Fatal Frame 2 is WAY easier compared to the first one. I had a surplus of healing items, and even if you get hit, it takes a sliver of health away.

Both Fatal Frame games have an unlockable ending (though it isn't canon according to the devs) if you complete the game on a harder difficulty.
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29272 on: March 26, 2017, 10:54:19 AM »
they actually have a different ending for each difficulty, but fuck all that. i only beat 1 and that game was hard as shit on the regular difficulty. there are literally no safe areas and enemies will constantly pop up throughout the game. great atmosphere but fuck they needed to ease up and let you freely explore some
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #29273 on: March 26, 2017, 06:11:51 PM »
Oh god RE7 VR sickness now that I got to the fast action combat parts.  Barf 🤢

I think I'm done with VR until the tech improves significantly.

FatalT

« Reply #29274 on: March 26, 2017, 06:26:49 PM »
Oh god RE7 VR sickness now that I got to the fast action combat parts.  Barf 🤢

I think I'm done with VR until the tech improves significantly.

I'm jealous that you're playing it in VR actually. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the game and plan on playing through it a few more times just because it was so immersive and enjoyable. I can't even imagine how much I would flip out if I were playing it in VR!

Bebpo

« Reply #29275 on: March 26, 2017, 06:37:06 PM »
Yeah it's fun for the slow moving adventure parts, definitely adds to the creep factor.  The graphics are terrible though which takes away some of the immersion.  Looks like a PS2 game.  But I got to the part with the enemies in the processing plant and moving around shooting is rough because the disconnect between moving with a controller and seeing the movement in VR. 

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29276 on: March 26, 2017, 11:20:59 PM »
Beat route B and started C/D in Nier Automata. Game keeps upping the ante, though the fight with Hegel in the desert was a pain in the ass. I like how it
spoiler (click to show/hide)
started to tie back to the first game quite a bit towards the end of route B
[close]
^_^

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #29277 on: March 27, 2017, 01:19:59 AM »
Onimusha 1 (Genma Onimusha Xbox version): Good, standard gameplay. The Xbox inclusions don't really make it a must-have, so the PS2 version is perfectly fine.
Really, if the release dates on those two versions were closer together what was the Xbox version probably would have just been some harder "arrange" mode or something. Other than some of the cleaning up of collision stuff which was probably from the extra dev time or going back over the screens to make the tiny cosmetic changes.

The thing I always thought was funny about 3 was all that spent on Jean Reno and they strand him in like the worst parts of the game. I remember him running around lots of stone corridors, while the other dude gets to waste all these demons in sweet fights in cool places.

Bebpo

« Reply #29278 on: March 28, 2017, 03:20:52 AM »
RE7 - As a survival horror hoarder was a little annoying at various parts where it took away all my stuff I'd been saving up.  But I just got past

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The ship and now it gives me ALL MY STUFF BACK + Mia's machingun/remote bombs and stuff and holy crap I have a million things now.  All kinds of weapons, tons of chem fluids, ammo, meds.  After all the weaponless survival horror on the ship, I am ready to BLOW SHIT UP.
[close]

Game is pretty great so far.  Parts of the combat/boss fights remind me of RE4, the atmosphere REmake, and everything else just a mix of Amnesia/Outlast/Classic RE.  Definitely best RE I've played since 4, but not sure how I'd rate it compared to the classics.  Still got a bit to go though, probably finish it next time I play.  Game is really easy to just blow through in long sessions.  Very enthralling and tough to put down.

FStop7

« Reply #29279 on: March 28, 2017, 12:24:04 PM »
Horizon really knows how to do climactic fights.  I picked it back up yesterday after setting it aside right after it launched.  The boss fight at the end of the first Cauldron was so good.  It really shows you the importance of traps, potions, and the Ropecaster.  And the whole sequence looked and sounded incredible.  The dino's angry screeches, the metallic bangs and pops when it breaks free from tethers, trails of embers streaming off of it as it's charging around the room, etc.  I'm so-so on the story and the general open world stuff.  But the big fights?  Amazing.