Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3607030 times)

Bebpo and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #29340 on: April 17, 2017, 09:58:15 PM »
Mario 64 also "tiers" the collecting. I think you only need like 16-20 stars to "beat" Mario 64. And only a few more than that to unlock every "main" world. Collecting more just grants you more paths/"endings".

Basically, the same thing Mario World does with its main and hidden exits. (And Yoshi's Story does something similar in determining what six levels you play IIRC.)

This was something I thought Spyro always did much better than Crash. (Especially the first Crash which has parts you feel like you're brute forcing through*.)

spoiler (click to show/hide)
*Jason Rubin has admitted they didn't really playtest like half that game. I think he mentioned it again last year in the Crash DevsPlay by Double Fine.
[close]
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 10:04:00 PM by benjipwns »

Fifstar

« Reply #29341 on: April 18, 2017, 01:57:34 PM »
As a diehard Mario 64 fan who felt that game defined what 3d gameplay meant, I was always a snob about Banjo-Kazooie from a design perspective. It takes all the wrong lessons from Mario 64.

What wrong lessons did it take?

I think Banjo and a lot of games in the wake of the Mario really thought making a collect-athon was an important part of the experience of those games because you collect 8 coins on a mario 64 level or 70 coins in total. In Mario 64, I never thought about the collection aspect of the game. Yeah there is some of it, but its woven in so nicely it feels super organic and you generally don't feel punished in most situations as you so have so many ways to do what you need to do. It didn't feel that way in so many games that aped mario 64. It often felt frustrating and occasionally punishing at best or worthless at worst.

I only played Mario 64 and Sunshine and never quite understood why the platformers of that era were refered to as collect-athons. The 8 red coin challenges and the 100 coin challenges were also the goals I skipped most of the time time and as you said, you can complete the whole game without them.
Gulp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29342 on: April 18, 2017, 02:16:47 PM »
rare games are called that because most of the objectives have you collecting a ton of stupid junk to win.
pcp

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29343 on: April 18, 2017, 10:45:27 PM »
Yeah, I know someone here will correct me if I'm wrong, but the first level in Banjo Kazooie was a field of notes or something, and it was as fun as the minigame in BULLY where you have to cut the grass, except you have to get 100%.

FatalT

« Reply #29344 on: April 18, 2017, 11:09:21 PM »
That free to play MMO on PS4 called Skyforge is actually pretty entertaining. Apparently when it first released on PC there were a lot of problems like limiting daily XP and things like that but it's fine now. My only complaint is the 3,000,000 credits to unlock a new class but I've maxed out the starter 3 classes and am just blazing through the tutorial/campaign and getting decent credits. Not sure which class to unlock first though, gonna have to read up.

Bebpo

« Reply #29345 on: April 19, 2017, 12:11:38 AM »
So I started up Dark Souls 3 last night for the first time.  I was like "hey, DS is pretty easy these days, so I'm gonna roll a weak ass shitty Cleric build for something different in DS3"
...then DS3 opens with a tough ass boss before there's any items/equipment/levels  :lol  Tried a couple of times and decided I'll reroll next time.

*edit* ok, yeah, took the dude out in a few mins with a knight.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 12:55:10 AM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #29346 on: April 19, 2017, 08:18:45 PM »
Played some more DQ7 today.  Beat the 3rd island, got to the 4th.  The DQ series makes it seem like Horii is constantly struggling with depression in life.  Like Island 3 where everyone is stone:

"Here is a town where everyone did the rain dance each year and prayed for rain
then one day it rained ash and everyone turned to stone

THE END"

It's like straight out of Nier/Drakenguard weapon stories  :lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29347 on: April 19, 2017, 08:24:17 PM »
I'm back to Wachovia Doges 2 whenever my son isn't taking a top-3 slot in Infinite Warfare's multiplayer. That kid is tearing it up, kicking my skill's ass at FPS now. Couple years ago, he couldn't point the reticle in the right direction, it was hard to watch. Now he's destroying. ANYWAY, on WD2, I'm enjoying it. There was an update with new world events; it looks like the Armored Cars finally have something inside them, and it's meant to be a online/co-op thing? I can't figure it out, it's purple, but totally solo-able.

I love that the main villain in this is a man-bun wearing, fake-woke, rich, shitpile cracker.

Played some more DQ7 today.  Beat the 3rd island, got to the 4th.  The DQ series makes it seem like Horii is constantly struggling with depression in life.  Like Island 3 where everyone is stone:

"Here is a town where everyone did the rain dance each year and prayed for rain
then one day it rained ash and everyone turned to stone

THE END"

It's like straight out of Nier/Drakenguard weapon stories  :lol

That'd be a great emo or downtempo song lyric.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 08:28:53 PM by chronovore »

Bebpo

« Reply #29348 on: April 19, 2017, 08:33:59 PM »
I love that the main villain in this is a man-bun wearing, fake-woke, rich, shitpile cracker.

Yeah, he's totally lame but the game is full self-aware at his lameness and so it makes it great.

FatalT

« Reply #29349 on: April 19, 2017, 11:28:49 PM »
So there's this god-forsaken game on Facebook called Everwing that I can't stop playing. I'm in a group chat to do raid bosses and try to get higher scores but it's stupid and addicting and I hate it. I hate it because there's no IAP so I can't whale out and blow past everyone else. JUST LET ME GIVE YOU MONEY FOR A COIN DOUBLER DAMN YOU! I WANT TO USE A FAIRY OTHER THAN THE COIN DOUBLER FAIRY!

It plays like a top-down shooter and you level up your companion dragons and gun bullets. I can't stop. This is a problem, especially since I figured out you can play it on your computer and your phone.

https://www.facebook.com/EverWingGame/

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #29350 on: April 20, 2017, 07:11:45 AM »

Yeah, he's totally lame but the game is full self-aware at his lameness and so it makes it great.

Let me get this straight. The main villain of Watch Dogs 2 is your typical San Francisco urbanite?

:neogaf

Boredfrom

« Reply #29351 on: April 21, 2017, 03:30:36 PM »
I want to finish Breath of the wild so I can continue Persona 5. At times is the Best Zelda ever but at certain points I'm too burned out that I think is worse than a Ubisoft game.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29352 on: April 21, 2017, 04:29:04 PM »
LOL it definitely is not worse than an Ubi-game.
fat

Boredfrom

« Reply #29353 on: April 21, 2017, 05:21:43 PM »

Is not. But there is points when I feel "why I'm doing this" when some stuff only involves making a new shrine appear or a sub quest whose pay off is 50 rupees or a weapon I already have.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #29354 on: April 21, 2017, 07:46:01 PM »

Is not. But there is points when I feel "why I'm doing this" when some stuff only involves making a new shrine appear or a sub quest whose pay off is 50 rupees or a weapon I already have.
So stop.

Boredfrom

« Reply #29355 on: April 21, 2017, 07:57:14 PM »

So stop.

I already grind well enough to go against Ganon, so I will probably stop tonight.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29356 on: April 22, 2017, 11:14:04 AM »

Let me get this straight. The main villain of Watch Dogs 2 is your typical San Francisco urbanite?

:neogaf

Yeah, that's about right. He's got a man-bun, he has a full beard. He does yoga and says "namaste," but is also always trying to alpha-male any other dude he finds himself around, as well as being passive-aggressive and hiding behind irony. It's awesomely self-aware.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29357 on: April 24, 2017, 09:44:13 PM »
Got back to playing some other games now that I'm finished with Persona 5, messed around with Bayonetta PC a bit and then got in some time with Cosmic Star Heroine. The latter is really clicking with me, it goes right for the 16-bit JRPG-ness of the Phantasy Star series and Chrono Trigger, dashed with a bit of mid-90s PC feel [think Shadowrun SNES and Fallout], and it does it really, really well. At first glance is doesn't look that much different from the sea of RPG Maker games that infest Steam, but rather than feeling like something that was slapped together with a game-making program and mostly stock assets, this feels like an actual JRPG from the SNES/Genesis era. They've clearly put a lot of work into this that very few games of this kind have in a long time, which is pretty impressive for what's essentially a two-man show. They even went to the effort of putting in little animated cutscenes.

And it's got a really stellar soundtrack:

https://hyperduck.bandcamp.com/album/cosmic-star-heroine-original-soundtrack
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 10:26:58 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #29358 on: April 24, 2017, 11:22:26 PM »
I played a little of that and thought it was neat.  I'll always support nice sprite-work indie devs who seem like decent folk (at least on gaf the main guy is very humble and polite in rpg threads).
The music and the cutscene animations are great.  I love all the variety to the combat locations in the first area.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29359 on: April 25, 2017, 10:45:55 PM »
Yeah, I've been following Cosmic Star Heroine for a while (and I've played through all of Zeboyd's other titles), shame it comes out in a really heavy period for RPG releases... I'm hoping to snag the physical from Limited Run, though. Really happy to see the success they've had, since I've been a fan since discovering Breath of Death VII on the wasteland that was XBLIG.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #29360 on: April 27, 2017, 04:47:57 AM »
Started Dark Souls III proper the other day.  Made it past the opening high wall and used the banner to fly to undead settlement.  Not sure what kinda build I'll go for, did Soul Arrow mage in demon souls, Katana dex bleed build in DS1 and dual melee club STR power build in DS2.  Right now used the Claymore to get through the High Wall area.  Lvl.20 now and been evenly splitting stats until I figure out what build/weapons I wanna go for.

Bebpo

« Reply #29361 on: April 27, 2017, 05:15:26 PM »
So I did most of Undead Settlement this morning before work.  I like that it's basically RE4's starting village.  Got to the abandoned church but there's some dude that looks straight up like beast mode Artoris of the Abyss and he wrecked me once and I don't see any bonfires/shortcuts nearby so I just went back, grabbed my souls and high tailed it outta there.

I know I'm really early on, but one thing I gotta say about Dark Souls III is that it's the first Soulsborne game that's not really doing much for me yet.  I liked Dark Souls II a lot last year when I played it outside like 2-3 bullshit areas, but the starting areas/mythos/atmosphere was great and very different than DS1/DeSouls/Bloodborne with its woody giants opening area.  DS3 kinda feels been there, done that so far.  The High Wall of Lortheric and Undead Settlement are solid, but just doesn't feel like they have unique character to them yet.  The first boss Jundix whatever in the starting area was pretty awesome, especially with the beast mode Bloodborne shit, the second boss Vort of the Boreal Valley was kinda easy/boring.

Anyhow, it's super early, so I'm hoping the locations/story gets interesting.  The atmosphere/lore is what I play these games for and DS1/Bloodborne/DS2 all paid off in spades there.  The most interesting part of DS3 so far as been the intro movie and the firelink shrine throne room.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29362 on: April 27, 2017, 05:48:37 PM »
Is there a 5˘ tour version of why Bloodborne is not just another title in the Dark Souls series?

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #29363 on: April 27, 2017, 05:54:39 PM »
bloodborne has no shields, you get health back by attacking and it generally plays faster so it's a more aggressive game. but idk the main difference is more aesthetic imo, victorian carriage drivers in  lovecraftville vs self-serious berserk larpers

Bebpo

« Reply #29364 on: April 27, 2017, 06:01:35 PM »
Is there a 5˘ tour version of why Bloodborne is not just another title in the Dark Souls series?

Bloodborne is more of a character-action game like Devil May Cry/Bayonetta.  Roll around, slicing and parrying and equipment isn't that important. Demon/Dark Souls are slower paced, tons of equipment, more stat based and wider build options.  Dark Souls III seems like it's a halfway between the two.

Story-wise/atmosphere are totally different too with Bloodborne being a Lovecraft Victorian Elder Gods game, and Dark Souls being dark fantasy.

As a fan of Lovecraft & character action games, Bloodborne was the best so far for me.  Although I thought the plot/lore of Dark Souls 1 was really good.

Freyj

« Reply #29365 on: April 27, 2017, 07:43:01 PM »
Started Dark Souls III proper the other day.  Made it past the opening high wall and used the banner to fly to undead settlement.  Not sure what kinda build I'll go for, did Soul Arrow mage in demon souls, Katana dex bleed build in DS1 and dual melee club STR power build in DS2.  Right now used the Claymore to get through the High Wall area.  Lvl.20 now and been evenly splitting stats until I figure out what build/weapons I wanna go for.

I always play new souls games with big heavy 2H build. It just feels right.

I'm really looking forward to replaying 3 with a Faith build and doing DLC though.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29366 on: April 27, 2017, 07:56:09 PM »
If ANY OF YOU JERKS end up inspiring me to go back to Dark Souls, I'm going to blame you for the inevitable psychological damage and high blood pressure.
 :maf :doge  :'(

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29367 on: April 27, 2017, 08:29:03 PM »
DON'T DO IT CHRONO. it's not worth the inevitable frustration/boredom. just watch a couple YouTube videos until you find something else to play.
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #29368 on: April 27, 2017, 11:12:21 PM »
 ??? ??? ??? ???

The Soulsborne/Nioh games are not overly difficult. This isn't a har har git gud kinda thing, but if you're struggling in any of these games, dying over and over, getting frustrated, you're honestly playing the game incorrectly.  There's a couple of those kinda parts every game, but we're talking about a boss dozens of hours in, or an area 30+ hours in, and by that point you should have the hang of the game and you know it's just a stupid part you gotta keep trying until you get through and then it'll be fine again.

I am not a great gamer! I do ok, but I play games on normal, FPS games are way harder than Souls for me and I've turned a few down to easy. I play a lot of sandbox games like Watchdogs 2/Red Faction Guerilla on easy. The only genre I'm legit good at is the character action DMC/Bayo stuff and those I play on hard/very hard/etc...

Here's my tips of how to play all Soulsborne games.  I haven't played Nioh outside the demo but I think this probably applies there as well.  Since I just did the first couple hours of Dark Souls III, I'm a good example:

-At first you're lvl.1 or lvl.10 or something.  You suck, with your starting weapon it probably takes like 4 hits to kill a grunt enemy and they'll kill you in 2-3 hits or combos.

understand why this is happening. 

1.  Offense: The reason why it takes 4 hits to kill grunts is your weapon atk power is weak, once you upgrade to +1/+2 or use stronger weapons and upgrade them it'll make a huge difference.  I was taking 4 hits to kill grunts with my starting long sword as a Knight.  I think it had like 90 atk power or something.  I upgraded it to +1 and then it was like 120 and took 3 hits.  I found a claymore which started at like 130+ and upgraded it a couple of times and now at like 170 atk power I kill grunts in 1 hits usually when holding it 2H.  Holding a weapon 2H gives 1.5x attack power.

So now since I know the range of my slash I just run up and slash once to kill each enemy before they can even do anything.  Easy.

The other things that effect your damage output is the stat that scales with the weapon.  So if it's a STR based weapon with C scaling, then that 170 damage +2 Claymore will actually be 170 + 40 = 210 damage, the 40 being like 20 points into STR or something.  So pumping stats into STR or DEX or whatever feeds your weapon grants bonus damage.

BUT, when you're talking about an extra couple of points of damage out of 170+, is it really worth wasting a stat point on that?  Eventually, sure.  Plus good weapons will have stat requirements to wield them.  However, if you want to add stats into something that will increase your damage output to kill enemies before they can even attack you, it makes more sense to pump stats into ENDurance because often when you hit enemies they go into hit stun and you can keep hitting them until you run out of endurance.  So if it takes 4 hits to kill an enemy and you can get 3 in, you'll hit 3 times and then the enemy will hit back and fuck you up.  But pump some stat points into endurance so you can hit 4 times and now you can kill that enemy before they can fight back and you'll go through an area of them without losing health which is pretty important because stages are endurance/survival battles between checkpoints. 

2.  The reason why are you dying in 2-3 is your HP bar is low and your equipment is weak.  The latter can be solved as you pick up good equipment from drops of chests, but early on and throughout the entire games, HP BAR IS THE KING.  A combo from an enemy that kills you if you have a bit more HP will leave you alive so you can run/roll back and drink your health potion drink and survive.  Because the Souls games give you an refillable mutli-use flask HP potion, having enough HP to survive getting hit so you can heal makes things much easier.  In Dark Souls 3 HP bar is its own stat with Vigor, I think II was like that but in 1/Bloodborne I think HP is tied to Vit.  You want to have an easy time?  Upgrade your HP stat/Endurance/Equip Load (vit), do that and you can have strong armor and take hits. 

So once you get a weapon with some +1/+2 upgrades and get some stats into your HP bar, you're running around killing things in 1-2 hits before they can hit you and even if you get hit, you take the hits, kill them and then heal, no big deal.

3.  At this point the main thing is just to be careful not to get swarmed.  Since you can kill enemies before they can even hurt you, as long as you move carefully through the levels and don't rush in on your first time you'll be able to run up and kill each enemy before they can do much damage.  Even if your initial combo doesn't kill them (big enemies), often you just need to dodge roll once and then hit 1-2 more times and then they're dead.  But if you're swarmed by a bunch of enemies and while you hit one the rest are kicking your ass, you're gonna have problems.  So generally try to take on 1 enemy at a time, or 1-2 enemies and always group the enemies in front of you so your weapon hit slashes them all and hopefully kills/stuns them all at once.

4.  That's pretty much it.  In the Souls games your refillable HP flask will upgrade as you go along and find items.    So instead of having 4 potions between checkpoint spots, you later on have 6-8 potions between.  So as long as your careful you'll be able to keep progressing further and further refiling your HP as you go. 

5.  But, bosses are a whole different thing.  There's generally a bonfire/shortcut near all of them, otherwise it's just pattern learning and doing damage and healing at safe spots.  I like to use high power/damage weapons so I just try to get the 10 or so hits in to kill them before they can kill me.  Some Souls bosses are pretty dumb and staying up close to them makes their big flashy attacks go over you so you can beat them up easily.  Always good to know.  Bloodborne bosses not so much.  Bloodborne bosses require more skill imo but I'm sure that's debatable.

Anyhow, even if you follow all that you're gonna die sometimes, but it's not a big deal.  I'm like 3-4 hours into Dark Souls III and I still die a couple of times an hour, but it's usually doing something stupid or a new boss/mini-boss and then I get back no problem and grab my souls and do it better the next time.  But it's not frustrating because there's always ways to get stronger even without skill and everything gets easier as you get stronger.  Every soulsborne game I've played eventually when you get a +10 max upgrade weapon you're ridiculously overpowered and it's pretty easy although Dark Souls II balanced it the best out of De/DS1/BB and still had some real tough stuff in the endgame.

But yeah, these are great games and honestly they are for everyone, but you gotta learn how to play them.  If you don't know what you're doing and your playing them wrong with lvl.1 weapons and low endurance/hp, it'll just be frustrating and unfun.  Once you get the hang of one though, you're set for the whole genre and it opens up a ton of really fun gaming.  Lots of cool exploring in all these games and neat secrets everywhere.  Just don't rush on 1st look at an area and you'll enjoy.  On 2nd time in an area though (like if you died and you want to get back to your souls) you can pretty much speedrun most areas since you know where the encounters are and which ones you can avoid and just run past.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29369 on: April 27, 2017, 11:55:13 PM »
There are guides that literally hold your hand on how to play the game.
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29370 on: April 27, 2017, 11:58:55 PM »
Dark Souls games really aren't all that hard. I mean, sure, you're going to die a lot, but the actual punishment for dying is pretty minimal and you can always recruit someone through multiplayer to help you out with a particularly difficult area or boss. The only secret to winning is figuring out boss patterns and exploiting them.
dog

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #29371 on: April 28, 2017, 01:02:03 AM »
Loving the specter knight expansion to shovel knight. Nearly X good as the base shovel knight game
que

El Babua

« Reply #29372 on: April 28, 2017, 02:48:42 AM »
Played DOOM arcade mode between all the other games the last couple months.

Really great update. Removes secret hunting and just focuses on combat. Gives me an even greater appreciation on what id accomplished compared to when I just beat the campaign again on Ultra-Violence. Got way better at combat too compared to then.  Imagine that, a single-player FPS that actually builds/rewards skill.

Any of you who want to replay the game, I really recommend trying it on Arcade Mode.

One critisicm I have of it is that the scoring system rewards a certain way to play where you stack 3 medals for every kill limiting variety when it comes to achieving the high score. Just look up any top scoring videos made recently and see what I mean.

Bebpo

« Reply #29373 on: April 28, 2017, 02:50:23 AM »
Man, Soulsborne is way too addicting.  Was just gonna play a little for some fun and then get back after I finish the other games I'm far into, but Dark Souls III has me pretty tight in its grip.  Finished Undead Settlement, Tree Boss & Ice Knight mini-boss, got to Road of Sacrifice then Farron Keep, just beat Crystal Sage who was kinda annoying in the very last bit with like 7 clones firing soul arrows >< 

Messed around with a lot of different weapons, I like the Irithyl Straight Sword but I am fucking terrible at getting those twinkling titanite shards from sparkling lizards so don't want to roll a weapon I can't upgrade that'll get outclassed.  Katana actually seems kinda slow and not that great here.  My Claymore is good for damage but the slowness is getting me killed more than I'd like.  I read somewhere that it's not that the Claymore is any slower than before, but since all the enemies move much faster it's rough.  I'd never rolled a standard fast sword build, so I might do that here.  I'd go with the rapier but I hate how the attacks are straight on with no spread for enemy groups.  Maybe I'll look into short swords or something.

In Bloodborne, since the game was so fast paced I mained the sawblade short form since it kept me very agile.  Since DS3 moves so quick, I might wanna go in that direction here too.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29374 on: April 28, 2017, 03:21:03 AM »
"figuratively" – There are guides out there for vocabulary, too.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #29375 on: April 28, 2017, 08:48:24 AM »
Just wanted to mess around with CRT shaders on Retroarch but ended up playing a bunch of Streets of Rage 2. Got pretty far my first time. You can cheese it pretty hard. The soundtrack is reason enough to play.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 09:28:28 AM by Rufus »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29376 on: April 28, 2017, 09:01:13 AM »
"figuratively" – There are guides out there for vocabulary, too.

And you literally suck shit at Dark Souls. Nobody's perfect
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29377 on: April 28, 2017, 01:01:29 PM »
Just wanted to mess around with CRT shaders on Retroarch but ended up playing a bunch of Streets of Rage 2. Got pretty far my first time. You can cheese it pretty hard. The soundtrack is reason enough to play.

Streets of Rage 2 is one of my all-time favorite games. Played that a ton when I was a kid, still holds up really well after all these years.
dog

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #29378 on: April 28, 2017, 02:00:39 PM »

Streets of Rage 2 is one of my all-time favorite games. Played that a ton when I was a kid, still holds up really well after all these years.

you know you're made a big tune when every single version of it bangs yuzo koshiro the fucking god

:lawd

:mindblown

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29379 on: April 29, 2017, 01:01:20 AM »
"figuratively" – There are guides out there for vocabulary, too.

And you literally suck shit at Dark Souls. Nobody's perfect

I went with the standard edition, and didn't get the tube of feces from the Collectors' Edition.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #29380 on: April 29, 2017, 12:55:33 PM »
Finished Yakuza 3. That was a really fun time.
que

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #29381 on: April 30, 2017, 02:50:26 AM »
Where my Mario Kart Deluxe 8 bros at?

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #29382 on: May 01, 2017, 03:48:10 AM »
Finished up the Order 1866 and man that game is garbage.

Felt like Babby Developer's first AAA game with 95% of the design choices they made re "the cinematic experience".

Most of it comes off as hand holding and can be easily broken due to its heavy reliance on scripting and QTE elements. And while the Gears/Uncharted combat is passable (a shit ton of waist high cover not withstanding  :lol) at best, its other combat options for the special enemies feels extremely rote (especially if you fucked up and have to do it again).

The story wasn't also anything to write home about as it tries to shoehorn some of the fantasy elements with some real world events which came off more of tinfoil hat wish fufillment, most characters were pretty flat and their actions in the latter half of the game made some of them regress even further.  Plus its incomplete nature due to sequel baiting also did it no favors  :lol :lol :lol

If there is one major positive about the game its the graphics and how technically sound it is, so at least the devs did something right there. 

Is this game worth the 5 bucks i paid for it? not exactly  :larry  but at least i was able to see what its about. Would have been absolutely livid if i bought this at release though  :beli
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 04:19:56 AM by Purple Filth »

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #29383 on: May 01, 2017, 09:04:19 AM »

Felt like Babby Developer's first AAA game with 95% of the design choices they made re "the cinematic experience".

It was. :-\

Ready at Dawn got dropped hard by Sony after that colossal financial bomb. :'(

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #29384 on: May 01, 2017, 09:56:00 AM »
Taking small breaks from Persona with something a little smaller.

Played through all of Little Nightmares which is a Limbo like light platformer that relies heavily on atmosphere and world design. I enjoyed it a bunch but I thought it was a tad on the short side. It's a little under 3 hours total. Felt it may have benefited from one additional chapter. It doesn't require much in the way of complex puzzle solving or precise jumps, but there are a lot of tense moments and cool setpieces. It's spooky and fucked up.

Then right after I started playing Hollow Knight which I'm already loving. It's a real fucker at times. Takes the right elements from Dark Souls, Metroidvania, and Speklunky and mixes em up. You explore a world in a Metroidvania style, but when you die you lose all your currency and your *spirit* pool is cut in half and you have to go fight your *soul* back at you death spot to get that stuff back. The currency is used to buy maps, open shortcuts, and access certain save points. The spirit is used for certain projectile weapons and also healing. It's a cool mechanic where you can heal yourself with spirit but you only gain spirit by attacking enemies, so it requires you to put yourself at risk to heal back up.

It's got a GREAT feel. Super snappy and precise. So far the bosses have been challenging and fun too. I really like it.
nat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29385 on: May 01, 2017, 08:18:28 PM »

It was. :-\

Ready at Dawn got dropped hard by Sony after that colossal financial bomb. :'(
Yeah, that was my take as well: they had been a solid deliver for Sony for several titles, and we're finally given a AAA chance. They were accustomed to taking top-down orders from the publisher, and I bet they were interfered with to hell and back.

Bebpo

« Reply #29386 on: May 01, 2017, 08:40:44 PM »
I liked The Order  :lol
I found it really engrossing going through the gorgeous areas dripping with atmosphere.  Story was solid and action was decent but I'm not into shooters so I have low Blood on the Sand standards for cover shooters.

I get the complaints, but I'm actually pretty bummed they didn't get to do a sequel because I thought the story and world lore was interesting and would've like to see where they went with gameplay improvements.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29387 on: May 01, 2017, 08:48:44 PM »
I liked The Order  :lol
I found it really engrossing going through the gorgeous areas dripping with atmosphere.  Story was solid and action was decent but I'm not into shooters so I have low Blood on the Sand standards for cover shooters.

I get the complaints, but I'm actually pretty bummed they didn't get to do a sequel because I thought the story and world lore was interesting and would've like to see where they went with gameplay improvements.

Epic callback. Sceneman and I have your back on this.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #29388 on: May 01, 2017, 09:43:42 PM »
"Where's my skull?"

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #29389 on: May 01, 2017, 09:51:45 PM »
Blood on the Sand was fucking great.

Bebpo

« Reply #29390 on: May 01, 2017, 10:41:39 PM »
"Hey Fifty!"

Yeah, game was great, but it's the definition of an average TPS on the gameplay-side.  It worked, was serviceable and everything else was so great.  While The Order is leagues away from the greatness that is 50 cent, I think the shooting was about the same quality.  Then again The Order has like one 5 min fight every 15 minutes whereas Blood on the Sand is non-stop action.

I also really enjoy Walking Sims, so that's probably why I'm cool with The Order.  Walking Sim with occasional serviceable combat. 

Anyhow I think Ready at Dawn are pretty awesome, so kinda bummed that they lost all funding from Sony after The Order fiasco and are now making little indie kid games.  Still, at least they're better off than the Wipeout guys who no longer have jobs ;_;

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29391 on: May 01, 2017, 11:05:50 PM »
Blood on the Sand was much better than it had any right to be. Although the most obnoxious part of the game (the constant fights against helicopters), was apparently a request from Fiddy's 7 year old son :P
^_^

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29392 on: May 02, 2017, 03:27:35 AM »
"Hey Fifty!"

Yeah, game was great, but it's the definition of an average TPS on the gameplay-side.  It worked, was serviceable and everything else was so great.  While The Order is leagues away from the greatness that is 50 cent, I think the shooting was about the same quality.  Then again The Order has like one 5 min fight every 15 minutes whereas Blood on the Sand is non-stop action.

I also really enjoy Walking Sims, so that's probably why I'm cool with The Order.  Walking Sim with occasional serviceable combat. 

Anyhow I think Ready at Dawn are pretty awesome, so kinda bummed that they lost all funding from Sony after The Order fiasco and are now making little indie kid games.  Still, at least they're better off than the Wipeout guys who no longer have jobs ;_;

Oh, RAD doesn't have jobs. Whomever is making those little indie kid games are not the same massive group of people that made The Order. RAD went through huge layoffs, and their personnel have largely moved on.

Bebpo

« Reply #29393 on: May 07, 2017, 11:31:07 AM »
Grabbed Steins;Gate for $3 on the PSN sale on Vita, started it up and the production values are nice for a VN.  I'm used to like Higarashi lol

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #29394 on: May 07, 2017, 06:06:10 PM »
After needing a palette cleanser for finishing the Order 1866 i have been playing some TitanFall 2 campaign. Really digging it so far and BT is already the MVP  :lol. Interested to see how this story unfolds.

The game feels fast as hell due to the 60fps it tries to uphold and how smoothly you can traverse the environment with your movement abilities.

Right now i'm still rubbish at it but once i get the hang of it :lawd  :lawd :lawd :aah

« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 06:10:37 PM by Purple Filth »

Shuri

« Reply #29395 on: May 13, 2017, 03:33:53 PM »
 :goty2

bought a GTX 1070, returned to MechWarriors Online after 2-3 years of hiatus and OMGWTF. I'm getting slaughtered. My old trusty hero Atlas, the Boar's Head, used to be a killer machine, is now 100% useless against all the latest clan mechs. It's... so outdated and under powered compared to all the new tech. I would rip apart 3-4 mechs per game, but now I can barely get a kill.

I also am now deep into Battlegrounds. The game is a blast.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29396 on: May 14, 2017, 02:13:23 PM »
started playing Tales from the Borderlands bc it's free on psn and good god damn this game is fantastic. played thru damn near the whole thing in under a day. like so far pretty much every single scene has been great and memorable. I almost want to go grab the handsome collection and replay b2 when this ends.
pcp

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #29397 on: May 15, 2017, 12:04:42 AM »

I might be crazy. I'll get some better pics later.
rub

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29398 on: May 15, 2017, 12:55:10 AM »
Lul, we played Baby PacMan at Portland Retro. So bad
fat

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #29399 on: May 15, 2017, 07:23:42 AM »
Lul, we played Baby PacMan at Portland Retro. So bad

Yep. It's is seriously one of the weirdest monstrosities in gaming and I love it. Like Pacman? Like pinball? Here's two bad versions of each in one game!

Also note that the MAME cocktail was randomly featuring the game Journey, the arcade game that features a looping cassette of the band playing Seperate Ways. MAME emulates that too thank goodness.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 07:28:54 AM by zomgee »
rub