Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3607622 times)

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #29580 on: July 07, 2017, 08:10:23 AM »
thats true, but is parrying that necessary? i feel like parrying is best left for when you have a good grasp on what you are fighting and want to speed things up. It certainly makes stuff like the skeletons in shrine of storms easier to deal with, but trying to parry them first time through seems like a recipe for disaster.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #29581 on: July 07, 2017, 10:43:35 AM »
So far the module has not been for sale in any station I've been to and now I'm dealing with other issues in the game. I can understand pure sim for pure sim's sake if you're a single player game designed just to sim. But Elite is something different from that and requires more hassle-free approaches due to it. The existence of the landing module is evidence that its adequate by default.

Lol git gud, landing is easy, are you not using alternate flight controls for it or something? I will not accept this incorrect dirt on the Elite name

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #29582 on: July 07, 2017, 10:47:49 AM »
I saw using the landing module in Elite the same way I saw using auto-pilot in Eve Online. It'll do the job for you, but if you do it manually you can do it much quicker.
nat

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #29583 on: July 07, 2017, 03:57:28 PM »
I use a DC when grinding cargo CGs to relieve some of the monotony, and I suspect it's there for this very reason since trade loops are so repetitive. Even then I still end up taking control during the autodock a third of the time, if only to blast through the mail slot when it puts you in a landing que. Docking computers definitely don't exist because landing is too hard, the tutorial covers it pretty easily. Unless you're trying to do it with flight assist off for some reason it should be pretty simple

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #29584 on: July 07, 2017, 04:10:26 PM »
I like having one when pushing myself doing bounties, I'll often hit the auto dock to get me in the air lock before I run out of O2 because my canopy is shattered :lol

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29585 on: July 07, 2017, 04:27:36 PM »
Is that crash game worth 40 bucks or is it suck
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29586 on: July 07, 2017, 05:16:55 PM »
it rules
fat

etiolate

« Reply #29587 on: July 07, 2017, 08:46:59 PM »
I saw using the landing module in Elite the same way I saw using auto-pilot in Eve Online. It'll do the job for you, but if you do it manually you can do it much quicker.

This is what I've found. It's slower but works.

Elite is still a MMO and not just a Sim. I can somewhat put up with needlessly* cumbersome designs in a Sim if its singleplayer and the operation the vehicle is the only goal. Once you bring in the trappings of an online game and world then you're in a different scenario.

* Needless because the concept of this being a Sim is distinguished mentally-challenged. You can't simulate that which does not exist in current tech and life experience, so what htey do instead is cross reference a space mission and jet piloting from the current world and stick it into a far flung future where space ship ownership and travel is as common as cars today.  Now would you make a car sim where there cars were as difficult to operate and maintain as they were in the 1920s? No, cars evolved, became much easier to drive, infrastructure was built around them  and guess what? They can park themselves now.

Cumbersome is just something assbackwards about the sim crowd. I'm looking for fun.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29588 on: July 07, 2017, 11:18:29 PM »
Picked up Dragon Quest Builders. Oh god, I'm in trouble.

I picked that up today, too, got it for $18 at Gamestop because of a pricing error [it was marked as Dragon Quest Heroes, with the much lower price to match] and using my brother's pro gamer 20% discount. :obama
dog

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #29589 on: July 08, 2017, 03:50:09 PM »

I picked that up today, too, got it for $18 at Gamestop because of a pricing error [it was marked as Dragon Quest Heroes, with the much lower price to match] and using my brother's pro gamer 20% discount. :obama
Oh man, I hope you like it. Remember when I said I was in trouble? Yeah, I was up until 2am playing that thing. For some reason that game scratches my OCD needs.
que

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29590 on: July 08, 2017, 04:56:42 PM »
Builders was definitely one of my favorite games of last year. I never had any interest in Minecraft before but the DQ theme really sold me, of course.
^_^

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29591 on: July 08, 2017, 10:34:01 PM »

Oh man, I hope you like it. Remember when I said I was in trouble? Yeah, I was up until 2am playing that thing. For some reason that game scratches my OCD needs.

Never, ever play Viva Piñata, then. That game had its hooks in me. "I'll just finish these three, 2-minute tasks." Next thing I know, it's 2AM.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29592 on: July 08, 2017, 10:59:22 PM »
that was me with dqb too. ripped through all four worlds like my life depended on it. too damn fun. there's some fun videos out there of shit people made in free-build mode too. lots of weird automated stuff that uses the minecart.
pcp

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29593 on: July 09, 2017, 10:15:49 AM »
Played some DC games I picked up recently:

Elemental Gimmick Gear - cool action RPG with prerendered backgrounds and CG rendered characters/monsters. Has a very mid 90's look to it because of the graphic style, somewhere between SaGa Frontier and Wild Arms. Definitely want to play this some more, it seemed really cool.

Record of the Lodoss War - a western RPG dungeon crawl, reminds me of the Infinity Engine type games except with more of an action RPG combat system. One of those games that is pretty uncommon, but surprisingly not too expensive. Most older western RPG gameplay didn't translate that well to consoles, but this seemed to do OK so far.

Marvel vs Capcom - I prefer the sequel, but the music in this is much better. I like how each character has their own theme, the rendition of Ryu's is awesome. A bit harder to do the moves in this than its sequel, especially with the shitty DC controller.
^_^

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #29594 on: July 09, 2017, 01:09:16 PM »
Accidentally re-subbed to WoW again...... I'm ashamed of myself. :doge

But it's a lovely game (especially for a Blizzard/MMORPG slave like me). Too bad my guild has died out and I'm forever alone in-game. Now I have to make new friends. *shivers*

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #29595 on: July 09, 2017, 01:38:55 PM »
Accidentally? :gurl

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #29596 on: July 09, 2017, 05:07:43 PM »
I can't stop playing Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth even though I bought a bunch of other great games during the steam sale. :doge

It's essentially the perfect game for me. I can hop on and play a couple rounds and hop off and not feel like I've wasted a huge chunk of my day.

FatalT

« Reply #29597 on: July 09, 2017, 07:42:22 PM »
So apparently the Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor Game of the Year Edition that was on sale on PSN for $3.99 pulls that same garbage that The Witcher 3: Complete Edition did where the trophies and game saves consider it an entirely separate game. Great and all for trophy hunters but I already had the original downloaded and was pretty far into it. Oh well, I was thinking about starting over anyways. I don't even know why I bothered, the two DLC "expansions" are supposed to be garbage. It was late and the $4 enticed me. That and I thought the DLC would just get added into the original regular game.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29598 on: July 09, 2017, 07:44:30 PM »
So apparently the Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor Game of the Year Edition that was on sale on PSN for $3.99 pulls that same garbage that The Witcher 3: Complete Edition did where the trophies and game saves consider it an entirely separate game. Great and all for trophy hunters but I already had the original downloaded and was pretty far into it. Oh well, I was thinking about starting over anyways. I don't even know why I bothered, the two DLC "expansions" are supposed to be garbage. It was late and the $4 enticed me. That and I thought the DLC would just get added into the original regular game.
:bow2
Thanks for taking one for the team. I was waffling on it, and ultimately decided I'd probably played enough of it as-is, and "didn't really need the DLC." Finding out that it isn't actually DLC is enough for me to wave off entirely.

FatalT

« Reply #29599 on: July 09, 2017, 09:10:46 PM »
:bow2
Thanks for taking one for the team. I was waffling on it, and ultimately decided I'd probably played enough of it as-is, and "didn't really need the DLC." Finding out that it isn't actually DLC is enough for me to wave off entirely.

Lol no biggie. It was only $4 so I'm not too butt hurt about it but my internet is terrible lately so it'll take 14 hours to download it at my house. I had already made it to the second area and figured why not, it's kinda fun again. I had gotten bored of it because of the old stereotypical loop of open-world games and towers but blegh. Frustrating to find that out. I even compared the trophies to someone who had the game of the year edition and saw after the fact that they had NONE of the trophies from the game that I did. Oh well. Stupid "Game of the Year" editions.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #29600 on: July 09, 2017, 10:58:58 PM »
Still playing Rogue Legacy, took out the first two bosses. Really able to sink time into this game :lol

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #29601 on: July 10, 2017, 07:29:34 AM »
I picked up Suikoden 2 back at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo in October '16.

Still haven't played it. :lol

I bought and started it so long ago I didn't even know where to go for the best ending
Thankfully I had all the stars at least

Holds up so well, crazy that it'll be 20 next year

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #29602 on: July 10, 2017, 02:13:04 PM »
I'm studying Chinese history now and find that geography is really difficult for me. I figured, "Hey, why not play some Romance of the Three Kingdoms?" to help.  I downloaded the PSone Classic ROTK IV. I used to play it all the time on the SNES with friends. But man, I've forgotten everything. Are any of the future iterations must plays?
que

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #29603 on: July 10, 2017, 02:14:38 PM »
Oh and blasted through almost all of chapter 2 in a day. That might be a little slow since I decided to build a moat around my town and am building a second story to my city.  But I'm right at the end of this chapter at this point. I'm going to miss this game when its done.
que

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #29604 on: July 10, 2017, 02:29:48 PM »
Started a new game on Dark Souls 3 to play the DLC. Holy shit Sister Friede is bullshit. The second phase wasn't even the final phase? Fuuuuck that.
zzzzz

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29605 on: July 10, 2017, 09:33:58 PM »
Midway through chapter 6 in Trails the 3rd... some of the short stories are cool but the game feels pretty disjointed and made from lots of fragments of the previous 2 games. Kinda like FFXIII-2 or something. The music is the best out of the 3 Trails games (though it uses a few songs from 1 and 2), here are some choice cuts

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:46:22 PM by tiesto »
^_^

Bulleta©™®

• is probably playing some game
« Reply #29606 on: July 10, 2017, 10:53:44 PM »
I came within a minute of my PB on 100% in AM2R, so I might try that again tonight, then do a fake "speed run" of FF12 International for you folks wanting a preview of The Zodiac Age thing. It'll be at my stream if you are really bored.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29607 on: July 11, 2017, 08:50:15 AM »
Crash Bandicoot really is the Dark Souls of platforming

The amount of stupid deaths I've had  :derp
fat

archie4208

« Reply #29608 on: July 11, 2017, 09:09:22 AM »
Speaking of which, I got the plat on Crash 2 last night.  It was significantly easier than Crash 1, if only for the fact running shoes made most time trials trivial.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #29609 on: July 11, 2017, 09:40:55 AM »
Beat Friede. On to the Ringed City, which seems like a way more interesting area. Ariandel was pretty lame.
zzzzz

Chim Richalds

• Professional Doctor
« Reply #29610 on: July 11, 2017, 11:17:51 AM »
Currently playing the living shit out of Friday the 13th on Steam.  I think I have 60+ hours logged now, it's consuming me. 

Also started a new character in Bloodborne this past weekend, haven't played it since the Old Hunters came out.  I forgot how fucking amazing the game is.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #29611 on: July 11, 2017, 01:19:04 PM »
Bit on the $4 goty Shadow of Mordor, will be checking it out tonight

Bebpo

« Reply #29612 on: July 11, 2017, 10:42:52 PM »
Steins;Gate is kicking the shit out of me every night. I turn it on in bed thinking I'll read/play like 30 mins and next thing I know it's 3 hours later fuck fuck fuck.
Not even sure if I like the plot anymore in the 2nd half. First half was pretty interesting sci-fi science & comedy, second half feels kinda like what I expect from a VN. Should finish my first run pretty soon, hoping it finishes strong!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29613 on: July 11, 2017, 10:45:37 PM »
I think it does. 2nd half has an alarming lack of stupid sexy hacka Daru
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29614 on: July 12, 2017, 03:56:46 AM »
It's a very good game. It's missing something that would have kicked it into "great" territory, but it's definitely well-executed. The goblin/orc captain matrix was oddly compelling for keeping grudges going and managing who went where. I stopped short of Platinum because I didn't want to end up hating the game from the bullshittery required for a couple of Trophies. Still like the game a lot.

etiolate

« Reply #29615 on: July 12, 2017, 04:59:04 AM »

But it's a lovely game (especially for a Blizzard/MMORPG slave like me). Too bad my guild has died out and I'm forever alone in-game. Now I have to make new friends. *shivers*

S H A M E

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #29616 on: July 12, 2017, 09:28:31 AM »

S H A M E
It's ok, I bought PUBG today which seems to do a great job of keeping me away from WoW for now. :lol

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #29617 on: July 12, 2017, 04:09:13 PM »
It's a very good game. It's missing something that would have kicked it into "great" territory, but it's definitely well-executed. The goblin/orc captain matrix was oddly compelling for keeping grudges going and managing who went where. I stopped short of Platinum because I didn't want to end up hating the game from the bullshittery required for a couple of Trophies. Still like the game a lot.

I dipped my two in it last night, I found myself wishing it was a little more linear but had lots of fun. I think I will adjust to the format better when I can sit on my ass and play for a longer time

Bebpo

« Reply #29618 on: July 12, 2017, 06:34:25 PM »
I think it does. 2nd half has an alarming lack of stupid sexy hacka Daru

Here's my issue. I'm at ch.7 and

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I called Daru being Suzu's dad a while back when she said he was at an otaku meetup and Daru was gone attending the meet and he cancels and she doesn't find her dad. Still I don't mind that one, I wasn't 100% sure, it wasn't a big plot point and it was nice seeing Mayuri be smart and point it all out.

Anyhow my issue with almost the entire half a dozen hours second half since the MC starts leaping, finds out Moeka is with Sern and Mayuri keeps dying is he spends all these leaps, and all these hours of game time trying to figure out how to stop it and trying to find an IBN1500 when what happened is incredibly obvious and apparent to the point it was apparent even when it happened. Moeka keeps asking where he found the IBN1500 over and over and over and then sends a d-mail to herself in the past that no one actually sees what she wrote and then the timeline changes and she's gone and so is the IBN1500. Like how no one figured out righ away after that, that Moeka went and got the IBN1500 before the MC crew did is crazy considering everything else they figured out. Even when the MC learns she works for Sern and her mission is to acquire IBN1500s he still hasn't made the connection and figured that she took it, which is nuts. Right now I'm at the part where he's chasing Faris because he thinks her D-mail was what caused the loss of their IBN1500.

It just makes it feel like everything now is filler and stretching the game out because once the MC figures it out he can not tell Moeka the location and fix all of it. The MC being this obtuse to miss this is so out of character for these scientists it's really frustrating and it's why I'm not enjoying the second half as much as the pre-time leap game.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 07:29:30 PM by Bebpo »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29619 on: July 12, 2017, 08:06:22 PM »
Every part after the timejump is just typical VN shit.

Each chapter is dedicated to each girl (er... including Luka) and if you give enough responses you get their ending.

It does drag a little (Luka's chapter, Faris' chapter, Suzu's chapter) in the middle parts but the last third(?) it gets better when you start dealing with Mayushi and Christina. The "true" ending wraps things up pretty good.

I dont even care to play Steins Gate 0 tbh
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #29620 on: July 12, 2017, 08:09:18 PM »
But you didn't find it annoying in the last 1/3rd that the MC doesn't get what happened? I mean it's so obvious. I find shit like that frustrating in stories, especially if the characters act intelligent otherwise and should be able to figure it out.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29621 on: July 12, 2017, 08:47:36 PM »
He posts on 4chan and calls himself a crazy mad scientist
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #29622 on: July 12, 2017, 09:32:20 PM »
Haha, that is true!

So I just got the non-true ending on ch.7 with Faris. It was well done but uh, hope I can get back and past this part quick, so I can see the rest of the story.

Bebpo

« Reply #29623 on: July 12, 2017, 09:53:47 PM »
Looks like first flag for true ending is chapter 4 and my oldest save is ch5, so FF from start to ch4 now zzz

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29624 on: July 12, 2017, 10:02:51 PM »
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #29625 on: July 12, 2017, 10:27:32 PM »
Yeah, using a guide from now on. First time I answered every call & read & replied to every email which I guess got me too many Faris points so I got stuck with her ending and didn't have a choice to continue.

Might get the other character endings, but next I definitely want to see the story through.

Bebpo

« Reply #29626 on: July 13, 2017, 04:59:22 AM »
Got back to where I was in about 90 mins and got to chapter 8. I'd never realized when you get emails clicking on the different blue links gives different replies. Lot more branching than I thought. Also did Suzuha's ending along the way, so I'll have at least 3 when I get the true ending. I like how long and substantial each ending is, it's enough that I kinda want to get all 6 endings to see the stories that go with them.

archie4208

« Reply #29627 on: July 14, 2017, 09:40:17 AM »
I forgot how many bad vehicle levels Crash Bandicoot 3 has.  :yuck 

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29628 on: July 14, 2017, 09:57:22 AM »
I got the Plat on Crash 1

Truly the Dark Souls of platformers
fat

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #29629 on: July 14, 2017, 12:10:02 PM »
getting colored gems in crash1 is awful, the other stuff isn't too bad.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29630 on: July 14, 2017, 01:40:56 PM »
You are talking about the remake right?

It took me at least 5 sessions over a period of hours just to finish a Relic run of High Road among others
fat

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #29631 on: July 14, 2017, 08:55:22 PM »
On a scale of 1 to 6, what would you give the Crash Trilogy out of 10?
©@©™

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29632 on: July 14, 2017, 10:58:04 PM »
Until they patch the jumping and hitboxes this remake is a pass
fat

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #29633 on: July 15, 2017, 09:54:09 AM »
Blasted through Shadow of Mordor in like four days. Shit's pretty fun.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #29634 on: July 15, 2017, 11:23:51 AM »
Demi is a glutton for punishment. Crash 1 is as tough as it's always been, no surprise there.

The entire remake is fantastic and a must-buy if you like the original PS1 games.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #29635 on: July 15, 2017, 06:59:17 PM »
Started Suikoden II and I'm hooked already.

Translation is still a but spotty but the animation has improved quite a bit

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29636 on: July 15, 2017, 07:07:56 PM »
Blasted through Shadow of Mordor in like four days. Shit's pretty fun.

Did you do much of the side stuff, or just run through the story?

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #29637 on: July 16, 2017, 02:17:08 AM »
Luca has got to go  :pacspit

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #29638 on: July 16, 2017, 03:29:23 AM »
Crash Bandicoot really is the Dark Souls of platforming

The amount of stupid deaths I've had  :derp
https://clips.twitch.tv/HelplessMuddyNuggetsNerfBlueBlaster

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29639 on: July 16, 2017, 08:43:20 AM »
Yup, that will happen a lot. Its distinguished mentally-challenged. It has to be some cardinal sin to remake a game then absolutely fuck up the core gameplay
fat