Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3686312 times)

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #29820 on: September 01, 2017, 06:13:46 PM »

this shit looked awesome back in the day idc
pcp

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29821 on: September 02, 2017, 12:01:59 PM »
Oh I finished Undertale on ps4.. what a game
What

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #29822 on: September 02, 2017, 01:05:53 PM »
Checked out Euro Truck Simulator 2 and now I'm finding myself looking for Youtube Vids and blogs how to maneuver a truck backwards into a discharge spot  :doge

ETS2 (and American Truck Sim) are "comfort food" games. They're very relaxing.

Hot Shots Golf/Everybody's Golf/Minna no Golf - It has some issues (takes too long to unlock courses, graphics still kinda suck & art direction looks like Miis-imitation, PS3 control method is missing, online is kind of janky), but the golfing is still good ole HSG and the online is pretty fun and smooth. It's definitely a step down from the PS3 one in single player, but the MP is better (PS3 MP was incredibly jank).

It's the only golfing game I've ever cared about, so last night I had a bunch of fun golfing again for the first time in like 6+ years and couldn't put it down. It's a pretty easy game to review. Do you like HSG a lot? Then yeah, pick it up and join in. It's also pretty cheap, got mine for $30 so no complaints there.

Never played a HSG game. Played the shit out of Pangya though. Are they even remotely similar?

Yeah, they're both arcade golf games. I have 5 and 6 on PS3 and the Veetor: They're both fun but unlocking things is a grind/chore.

Speaking of F2P games...

Bethesda/Splash Damage randomly made BRINK F2P on Steam, it has 800-1200 player counts now after being dead* for six years: http://store.steampowered.com/app/22350/BRINK/

This happened a week ago and SirSwag has yet to address it. :ufup

*okay, so it had two servers when i last tried to play it randomly a couple years ago, and one of them had a full match worth of people

>BRINK
>having more players than Lawbreakers two-three weeks after launch

CliffyB: Just Cuck My Shit Up, Fam.
---

Played "The Last of Us: Left Behind." Man, that shit wasn't worth $10.  :-\

Not sure if I should bother with grounded mode, as that costs like $2-3 bucks on PS3 and fuck that for a difficulty mode.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29823 on: September 02, 2017, 02:33:16 PM »
fuck grounded mode. the gameplay is already gets annoying bc it's a stealth game that doesn't rely on predictability, but the thing that killed grounded for me was that they took out a bunch of checkpoints. i made it to the escape from the courthouse, before you go to bill's, and i spent a good 20 minutes slowly killing off all the guys in the first room only to die right as i was about to leave the second and final room. bam the game boots me all the way back to the start of the escape and i switched the difficulty down so fucking fast and never looked back. read up on it later and the game gets even worse about it later on, to the point where the final level has to be done all in one go. fuck everything about all that.
pcp

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #29824 on: September 03, 2017, 10:19:27 AM »
Finally got around to Deus ex MD

Oh how I've missed breaking into apartments  :rejoice

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29825 on: September 04, 2017, 01:16:16 AM »

Started playing Curses 'n Chaos, and either the game is legitimately too fucking hard or I am officially too old for hardcore games.

In b4 "git gud," but this game is wrecking my shit from the get-go.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #29826 on: September 04, 2017, 01:53:01 AM »
>BRINK
>having more players than Lawbreakers two-three weeks after launch
wow, Brink is still at 500 daily players? it's barely atrophied compared to what i would assume a six year old game that became F2P randomly without any big announcement would do, especially one that can so often be like Brink can (also, iirc, you can hit the level cap pretty damn fast)

Advanced Warfare, the lowest of the CoDs is around 150-200 daily, this has been consistent for years now because of some oddity

i'd actually love it if Brink didn't drop below AW before October, won't mean anything but i'll pretend it's a victory

meanwhile, SirSwag puts out another Overwatch main joke video instead of extensively covering Brink, #SkrubGate

Bebpo

« Reply #29827 on: September 04, 2017, 07:30:21 AM »
Finished Jotun - Man, the art, animation, setting are all incredible, but the game plays really bad. The stages are slow and dull and the boss fights have solid patterns for the bosses but your characters controls so incredibly sluggish they are not fun at all. I get that they were going for mere mortal vs giants & gods and so they wanted to gimp your movements/attacks, but when you play SoTC in boss fights your character always controls well and is fun to play as while taking on the challenge. Basically they didn't nail the "fun to play" part of the game and instead its just a nice art piece that's tedious to play.

Unless I hear a lot of praise about Sundered's movement & combat, I'm gonna skip that one because Jotun didn't show that these guys know how to make that fun. The steam reviews for Sundered are kinda 50/50 as well right now. It's a shame because the art is some of the best out there, but maybe the studio lead/programmer/designer should step back and hire a better game designer to make their games fun?

archie4208

« Reply #29828 on: September 05, 2017, 09:35:23 AM »
I dropped Rise of the Tomb Raider.  What a boring game.  :zzz

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29829 on: September 06, 2017, 07:51:09 AM »
I've started Dead Space like 3 times now, never manages to hook me.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29830 on: September 06, 2017, 01:14:46 PM »
dead space 1 = spooky, but mundane as shit

dead space 2 = amazing perfect

dead space 3 = you blew it
fat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #29831 on: September 06, 2017, 03:04:14 PM »
word. Dead Space 2 is that formula perfected. Great mix of action and horror. If the first doesn't pull you in, you could skip to 2.

The third game has a great first 1/3rd in the derelict space ships but then falls off a fucking cliff right after.
nat

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #29832 on: September 06, 2017, 08:28:02 PM »
Starting Xenoblade again, for the 3rd time now. I know there's a good game in there. It's just gotta "click". Right?.....right???
que

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29833 on: September 06, 2017, 08:42:55 PM »
Yes, absolutely amazing game
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #29834 on: September 06, 2017, 09:19:21 PM »
Starting Xenoblade again, for the 3rd time now. I know there's a good game in there. It's just gotta "click". Right?.....right???

Tell me what you don't enjoy, or isn't clicking with you. I'll tell you when it gets better!

Ps. avoid the billion sidequests unless you want to. You don't need to do them.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29835 on: September 06, 2017, 09:20:38 PM »
the billion sidequests was the most fun part. i played for like 30 hours and only made it thru 3 or 4 maps lol.
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #29836 on: September 06, 2017, 09:35:29 PM »
Yeah, I did them all too. But they're MMO quests and not required, so if you're not digging them best to just ignore and play the story.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29837 on: September 06, 2017, 11:00:56 PM »
Wow, fuck the Titanic Monarch zone in Sanic Mania... took me forever, and countless TIME OVERs to get through, then I game overed halfway through the final boss fight.
^_^

bluemax

« Reply #29838 on: September 07, 2017, 03:19:57 AM »
I'm always curious about F2P games; it's stupid, I have a massive backlog of fantastic shit, but I always want to try F2P stuff, and it is always disappointing. Today's example: Blacklight Retribution on PS4. This game has several different currencies, play modes, customization and progression ladders… ALL of it, completely opaque. Like a 7GB download and then another several GBs in added data to download; none of it is a tutorial, no in-game cues about menu usage, etc.

:aint_nobody_got_time_for_that.gif

DELETED.

I remember interviewing for the original Blacklight back in like 2010 or something. I always wanted to see that studio succeed, not because I thought the game was amazing but just because they were nice enough people and I understood the struggle, plus there weren't a lot of console studios in Washington back then.

Tell me what you don't enjoy, or isn't clicking with you. I'll tell you when it gets better!

Ps. avoid the billion sidequests unless you want to. You don't need to do them.

I think they're a big part of why I always stall out when trying to play Xenoblade. People praise it to high heaven but I found it a slog and it seemed like it was balanced around doing the sidequests.
NO

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #29839 on: September 07, 2017, 01:40:17 PM »
Xenoblade is balanced around not doing the sidequests. If you do them all you'll be way overpowered and just demolish the game. To keep the game balanced I think you are just supposed to do a few here and there until you get bored with them and then continue on with the rest of the main story. Then just do a couple more whenever you're in the mood and keep going again when you get bored.

Bebpo

« Reply #29840 on: September 07, 2017, 06:59:11 PM »
At the same time I think if you don't do any of them you're underpowered? idk, it's been a while. But then you can just do a few and grind a bit if you need to.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #29841 on: September 07, 2017, 07:00:41 PM »
The last time I stopped I think I got frustrated with how Xenoblade was like "fight like this!" and I was like "OK" and then they were like "haha! Just kidding that's not going to work! Do this instead!" Then I was like "OK" then when they were like "tee hee, now you wont do any damage that way, now you gotta..."

I just turned it off. Still, so many people that I respect their taste love the game, so I might be being too harsh. It was the same with DQ7. I thought it was a massive mess. But people I knew really loved it. On my third try it clicked and it's one of my faves in the series.
que

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29842 on: September 07, 2017, 11:30:39 PM »
I think some of the sidequests are to goad you into exploring a bit more of the regions... do a few here and there, especially those that are convenient for you (don't bother with some of the ones which have really rare spawns like some of the shit needed for Colony 9). I had to do em all b/c I'm OCD like that :P
^_^

bluemax

« Reply #29843 on: September 08, 2017, 03:06:55 AM »
Xenoblade is balanced around not doing the sidequests. If you do them all you'll be way overpowered and just demolish the game. To keep the game balanced I think you are just supposed to do a few here and there until you get bored with them and then continue on with the rest of the main story. Then just do a couple more whenever you're in the mood and keep going again when you get bored.

It really doesn't feel that way at all since you get shit XP and money from monsters and all the good rewards come from quests. I dunno, I think the core game of Xenoblade is probably fine to good, possibly great, but there's a lot of extra slop. MMO style quests. MMO style quests blocked by the day night cycle. MMO style quests that are missable. The crafting system. The affinity system. Rebuilding that colony. It almost feels like two games got merged into one game and they have such competing philosophies that the whole thing feels off.
NO

Boredfrom

« Reply #29844 on: September 09, 2017, 07:20:57 PM »
The last time I stopped I think I got frustrated with how Xenoblade was like "fight like this!" and I was like "OK" and then they were like "haha! Just kidding that's not going to work! Do this instead!" Then I was like "OK" then when they were like "tee hee, now you wont do any damage that way, now you gotta..."

I just turned it off. Still, so many people that I respect their taste love the game, so I might be being too harsh. It was the same with DQ7. I thought it was a massive mess. But people I knew really loved it. On my third try it clicked and it's one of my faves in the series.

A lot of the stuff that requires the knowledge of the most complicated parts of the battle mechanics is in the side stuff. Of this stuff is hidden in a sea of other side quests and story progression. As I remember, most story stuff can by overcome by being over leveled. Some of the reward of the side stuff will probably make your life easier, thought.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29845 on: September 09, 2017, 10:35:13 PM »
As a fitting way to celebrate 9/9, I beat Sonic Mania.

Also was playing some Satellaview games last night on my friend's Everdrive, including BS Zelda and Mario Excitebike.

And the day before that, was at same friend's house playing a bunch of euroshmups on the Amiga. Apidya, Awesome, Blood Money, and Xenon 2 Megablast. I never had an Amiga back in the day but I have a lot of nostalgia for the MOD music, since that was the format used in an old game creation program I used way back when.
^_^

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #29846 on: September 10, 2017, 12:45:31 PM »
Went to a barcade in Portland and played in a Star Wars Battle Pod, most fun I ever had doing the Death Star run in a videogame

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29847 on: September 10, 2017, 06:15:05 PM »
Went to a barcade in Portland and played in a Star Wars Battle Pod, most fun I ever had doing the Death Star run in a videogame

My son tried one of those out at a Dave and Buster's during our last trip. It looked like a lot of fun!

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29848 on: September 12, 2017, 12:22:17 AM »
... dying in the intro to nier 2 really makes you do the whole thing over again, including cutscenes? what the fuck is this
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #29849 on: September 12, 2017, 06:37:57 PM »
I think I may have posted this, but DQXI is the most charming game I've played in my entire life. Even better than earthbound and stuff. It's the only game I've played where I'm constantly smiling. Everything about it is utterly charming. Right now this and BoTW are my GoTY contenders.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #29850 on: September 12, 2017, 06:46:45 PM »
God I'm such a Dragon Quest whore. I just finished DQ Builders (for a second time) and am playing the Terra incognita mode right now, then I saw Dragon Quest Heroes 2 is on sale on PSN. I'm not usually a fan of "Beat up those 100 guys!...now beat up those 100 guys!" But...then...Dragon Quest.
que

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29851 on: September 12, 2017, 06:48:46 PM »
every time i see someone post something cool-looking from dqx, i die a little inside. still dqxi is my most-wanted game right now.
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #29852 on: September 12, 2017, 06:54:53 PM »
I think the only negative I can say about XI is that I don't think it has fishing. Which makes me sad everytime I see a body of water and want to fish there. FFXIV and Falcom games have spoiled me on being able to fish everywhere. There's also no cooking, just mats & equipment crafting which is fine. Oh and the armor isn't visible like an MMO, just the weapons. But the weapons look really neat.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29853 on: September 12, 2017, 07:30:31 PM »
God I'm such a Dragon Quest whore. I just finished DQ Builders (for a second time) and am playing the Terra incognita mode right now, then I saw Dragon Quest Heroes 2 is on sale on PSN. I'm not usually a fan of "Beat up those 100 guys!...now beat up those 100 guys!" But...then...Dragon Quest.

Dragon Quest Heroes 1 was lit. DQH2 is supposed to be wayyyyyy better
fat

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29854 on: September 12, 2017, 11:02:40 PM »
Died against DJ Octavio in Splatoon 2. Other than that, there's one more scroll for me to get and then I'm done with it. Starting Ys this weekend...
^_^

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29855 on: September 13, 2017, 06:54:37 AM »
Playing War of the Chosen on PS4. Its really awesome but the performance is straight ass on a base ps4.
What

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #29856 on: September 13, 2017, 02:45:17 PM »
Ys VIII is really fun. How is Adol only 20 tho and been on a million adventures already, wtf?
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29857 on: September 13, 2017, 08:53:54 PM »
Ys VIII is really fun. How is Adol only 20 tho and been on a million adventures already, wtf?

That's basically retirement age in JRPGs, though.
dog

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29858 on: September 14, 2017, 09:27:33 AM »

And why do ship captains still let him board?
^_^

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29859 on: September 14, 2017, 05:10:14 PM »
pcp

Rahxephon91

« Reply #29860 on: September 14, 2017, 05:55:22 PM »
The games are not in chronological order. Games like VII haven't happen yet.

Why Falcon thinks they should have stories I don't know.

I could not get into those Trail games at all.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29861 on: September 15, 2017, 06:33:16 AM »
Anyone got a beta code for DBZ Fighters by any chance?
What

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #29862 on: September 15, 2017, 09:18:28 AM »
bought fortnite, gonna try it later. (yes i realise it will be f2p next year)

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #29863 on: September 15, 2017, 04:57:48 PM »
Stepson downloaded Titanfall 2 through EA Access, gonna give it a whirl this weekend.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #29864 on: September 15, 2017, 05:15:13 PM »
great game, should be proud your stepson has excellent taste bless up

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #29865 on: September 15, 2017, 06:07:18 PM »
8th mission of the Zerg Brood War campaign is absurd. I just cannot beat it. No idea how I managed 20y ago. Getting old I suppose  :fbm

benjipwns

« Reply #29866 on: September 15, 2017, 08:14:36 PM »
outside of like say old NES games or something, real time strategy is the one genre where i found the games seem infinitely harder going back to them, when AoE II HD came out i was like they had to have notched this up ten levels or somethin...but they actually reduced the difficulty in a lot of ways :fbm

and i tried playing Z last year and was like nope after half an hour

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #29867 on: September 15, 2017, 09:09:19 PM »
Does the campaign serve as a good tutorial or should I just learn from getting rocked in multi?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #29868 on: September 15, 2017, 10:47:19 PM »
play singleplayer

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #29869 on: September 16, 2017, 12:05:52 AM »
Singleplayer bw absolutely does not prepare you for playing online beyond teaching you the actual mechanics of the game. If you've never played SC before give it a whirl and learn the units, learn how to macro and do basic micro. Otherwise just learn2scout and spend time on liquidpedia studying build orders

benjipwns

« Reply #29870 on: September 16, 2017, 02:04:28 AM »
the first part of what seagrams said also kinda applies to Titanfall 2, not that playing the campaign isn't worthwhile on its own merits or helpful

the one good thing about getting into it now is that Frontier Defense is out which is you and three others against AI waves so you can mess around with the weapons and abilities and such and level up super fast to unlock stuff and on easy mode you don't have to worry about harming the teams efforts too much as two people can do 80+% of the work, plus you'll be helping in your own way

also the new matchmaking system means you're no longer limited to attrition, you can actually play the modes with objectives beyond just killing other players (hardpoint, bounty hunt) while you get your feet wet before flipping attrition on (and then livefire) to minimize waiting in queue times...or really just play attrition along with those since it's not too bad for MP, whole game is more forgiving than CoD for example

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29871 on: September 16, 2017, 03:40:52 AM »
Does the campaign serve as a good tutorial or should I just learn from getting rocked in multi?

RTS games in singleplayer are just scripted sequences of enemies coming at defined map or resource milestones. So you can end up encountering stuff WAY TOO EARLY if you explore outside the area the designer intended, or overspend on a resource that ends up being useless against the arbitrarily chosen next wave of enemies.

In multi, everyone has the same access to map and resources.

If you play "multi" against AI, you'll get better and be a little better prepared for competitive multiplayer.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #29872 on: September 16, 2017, 07:42:10 AM »
Finally beat it :rejoice

I was so :umad I spent an extra half an hour cleaning the map of every single cpu unit :lol

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #29873 on: September 16, 2017, 08:37:56 AM »
I like Fortnite so far

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29874 on: September 16, 2017, 09:05:54 AM »
I noticed D&D Neverwinter is f2p on PS4, so I am giving that a try. It's pretty basic, overall. Not lame, but not enthralling yet by any means. Big world, lots of little jobs. The UI does weird stuff, where it shows systemwide notifications in the originating player's language, so stuff in Italian, French, and German shows up in the middle of my screen, blocking my view of an active enemy.

I played a fair amount of Happy Wars on 360, and Toylogic's sequel, Happy Dungeons just came out on PS4. For a sequel to an online game using many of the same systems, it's remarkably incompetent in dealing with load, streaming, and concurrent users. I'm hoping they will patch soon, because they've hit 2M downloads, but I can't see anyone sticking with it when play is choppy as a chopped park chop.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29875 on: September 16, 2017, 01:07:43 PM »
Was able to get myself a code for DB Fighter Z. Wow this game is all sorts of amazing. As a fan of tag team battle games like the Marvel vs Capcom games, and especially as a fan of the original DBZ series this is totally amazing. The actual fighting is on a whole new level with teleports, counters and air dashes ala Guilty Gear. You can tell its an arc system works game for sure.

The graphics are great as well, really bringing home that original DBZ series look.

All in all probably one of the best Dragonball games ever so far.
What

Beezy

« Reply #29876 on: September 16, 2017, 05:15:40 PM »
How do you get a code?!

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29877 on: September 16, 2017, 07:16:22 PM »
I'm sorry I don't have a key bro's, I got an invite from someone I know at a games website. I have to write a little preview for it.

Either way I took some footage and edited it so there is no lobby bullshit.

I also have a three hour stream up but I was still learning how to play at that point and really sucked haha.

I got bodied in that second fight lol.
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29878 on: September 16, 2017, 09:01:40 PM »
Streaming some more :
What

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #29879 on: September 17, 2017, 01:37:01 PM »
I was playing Destiny 2 but I'm already kinda over it. I got it through game share as on my own I wouldn't buy it but since its essentially free in this case decided to play it. I know everybody has unique individual tastes and if you enjoy a game then that's what matters and who cares what anybody else thinks.

That being said, the time people put in this game with the relative amount of content in it baffles me. I never played the original that much outside of the beta or trying a friends copy but now that I have my own copy, the fact that this is essentially Diablo with less replay-ability is pretty clear to me now. I don't understand the desire to grind when there are better grinding experiences out there if that's your bag.

I actually kinda like pvp. It's way less obnoxious than the first game with less supers and less power ammo and just less bullshit. But grinding the pve is the less interesting part of the package for me here. Not a horrible game by any stretch but one I will dip into occasionally rather than focus on.

Back to POE.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 01:51:37 AM by Stoney Mason »