Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3687607 times)

FStop7

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #29940 on: October 04, 2017, 04:56:22 PM »
I figured it's following that "all this has happened before and will happen again" trope. There's a Link, a Zelda, and a Ganon and the story repeats itself over thousands of years.  Ganon remembers how he was defeated and learns from it, but Zelda and Link don't seem to retain their memories.  At least that's what I got from the early info dump from BotW.  That's all I really need.

Right now I'm spending more time finding shrines than I am worrying about the main quests.  I'm starting to get into areas of the overworld that are above my head, though.  Ran into some bokoblin dudes that broke my weapons before I could do more than a sliver of damage.  I only won because I lured them into a cave full of exploding barrels and detonated them with all of us inside.

BotW is a pretty amazing game.  I can see myself going back for a Master Mode run.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 05:03:22 PM by FStop7 »

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #29941 on: October 04, 2017, 05:46:55 PM »
I figured it's following that "all this has happened before and will happen again" trope. There's a Link, a Zelda, and a Ganon and the story repeats itself over thousands of years.  Ganon remembers how he was defeated and learns from it, but Zelda and Link don't seem to retain their memories.  At least that's what I got from the early info dump from BotW.  That's all I really need.
Yup. I like that they set BotW so far into the future and removed from the rest of the series, it is almost a soft reboot. It allowed them to cast off a lot of the timeline baggage and strip the story down to just Ganon/Link/Zelda.

It also sets them up nicely for sequels. They could take the story and gameplay in a whole bunch of directions.

FatalT

« Reply #29942 on: October 04, 2017, 07:42:42 PM »
Got an early access code for Star Wars Battlefront II and played it for a good 5 hours or so. Not a fan at all. I'll rent it for the single player but that's about it. I actually had more fun with the Call of Duty: WWII Beta than this.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29943 on: October 04, 2017, 10:42:29 PM »
Got an early access code for Star Wars Battlefront II and played it for a good 5 hours or so. Not a fan at all. I'll rent it for the single player but that's about it. I actually had more fun with the Call of Duty: WWII Beta than this.
Did you play the first one?

Did you like it?

If yes to both, what changed?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29944 on: October 05, 2017, 06:50:58 PM »
just had to look at a walkthrough for super Metroid :doge
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29945 on: October 05, 2017, 07:44:15 PM »
lmao this fucking casual get shit on go play metroid samus returns instead
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29946 on: October 05, 2017, 07:49:09 PM »
my Gameboy doesn't charge so i can't
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #29947 on: October 05, 2017, 09:07:10 PM »
Sen 3/Cold Steel 3 is insanely long. I'm less than halfway at 40+ hours now. Going to be over a 100 hours+ easily to just cover like 4-5 months of plot movement. So much exposition & events every chapter. Really good outside the probably about 30 hours of the game total wasted on a few school sim sections. But the other 70+ hours is good. Sen 3+4 is going to be like a 250 hour jrpg story, but that's what happens when you try to pull a MGS4 out of 7 prior games in an rpg series. Hopefully this one turns out a lot better than that did. Going good so far.

Also if you haven't played the Crossbell games that aren't available in English you're fucked. And if you haven't played the Sky trilogy you're fucked. And if you haven't played CS1+2, why would you play 3? Because you'd be extra fucked in that case.

No idea how Aksys/Xseed (I don't know who is handling it these days) is going to deal with this. Probably give you like a mini-book explaining all the events of prior games or something, or just not give a fuck and have the western players be really confused. Or you know, they can just hurry up and get the Crossbell games out in English already, it's only 2 games.

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #29948 on: October 07, 2017, 08:21:37 AM »
Finished Tyranny last night.

I quite liked it. It really reminded me of Fallout: New Vegas in the way you start as a nobody and are climbing your way up to power, manipulating the various factions around you in the process. But sadly FO:NV does almost everything better in that regard (except maybe companion interaction) ;) The factions in FO:NV are better drawn and their reactivity to your accomplishments is better handled, quests are more complex and engaging and so on. Everything in Tyranny feels kinda rushed and unaccomplished, the unspectacular ending included (though thankfully it doesn't end in a cliffhanger considering there most likely won't be a sequel).

It really shows that this was just kind of a side project for Obsidian compared to their Pillars games, which is disappointing because when it comes to writing, artstyle, music and atmosphere Tyranny is way better than the sadly bland Pillars of Eternity, at least in my opinion.

Combat was better handled than in PoE, mainly in that you just didn't have to fight that much compared to PoE and could often talk your way around fights similar to the Torment games. I also liked that they didn't overwhelm you with a plethora of abilities but that's just me. I'm too impatient for overly complex mechanics and play isometric crpgs mainly for their story so you may not agree with me here.

Ah yes, I played it with the Bastard's Wound expansion released last month installed and yeah, it was kind of a let down. While the microcosm of the underground colony you encounter in Act II in a dilapidated Oldwall ruin is interesting (renegades of the various factions are forced to live and work together there and you have to mediate) it's nothing spectacular in itself. They try to dig a bit deeper into the lore surrounding the Oldwalls but it ends up with nothing conclusive to say about their existence besides some speculations. The dungeons in Bastard's Wound are the same boring Oldwall ones from the main game - only more confusing and with way too much fighting in there. The best to come out of this expansion are the companion quests (as short as they are).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 09:28:27 AM by desert_punk »

Freyj

« Reply #29949 on: October 07, 2017, 10:32:54 PM »
I liked the ideas of Tyranny but not the execution. Even by Obsidian standards it’s a very unfinished game.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29950 on: October 07, 2017, 10:45:13 PM »

You should give Torment: Tides of Numenera a try, if you haven't already.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #29951 on: October 08, 2017, 01:34:02 AM »
I liked the ideas of Tyranny but not the execution. Even by Obsidian standards it’s a very unfinished game.

I thought the execution was pretty good outside the combat which was forgettable. Like it's a small game with a lot of replay-ability. Can't hate on that.

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #29952 on: October 08, 2017, 11:35:04 AM »
Yeah, I enjoyed the game but still... I kinda wish Obsidian had kickstarted this instead of PoE but I realize that that's not what people were wanting back then.

I just hope PoE2 will take at least some cues out of the things that made Tyranny the more interesting game (conceptually if not actually).

You should give Torment: Tides of Numenera a try, if you haven't already.
I was a backer actually but didn't come around to playing it just yet. It's the next isometric crpg I wanna tackle :hyper

But I did pick up some negativity surrounding Torment during release. Was that just because of the content inXile didn't or couldn't implement despite promises being made during crowdfounding?

Freyj

« Reply #29953 on: October 08, 2017, 04:01:09 PM »
In my brief bout of unemployment before starting a new job, I've managed to finish .hack//IMOQ, a few SNES classics and I'm 30 odd hours into Divinity: Original Sin. While I much much prefer RTWP, I've been pleasantly surprised by how much I'm enjoying Divinity. It seems like an absolutely massive game.

I thought the execution was pretty good outside the combat which was forgettable. Like it's a small game with a lot of replay-ability. Can't hate on that.

No hate, it just felt very much like a "we need to ship this to recoup costs pronto" sort of game. There's a grand vision that I'm very much on-board with that never quite gets implemented.

I think Deadfire will be a much much better game than Pillars at least partially because of Tyranny.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #29954 on: October 08, 2017, 09:20:00 PM »
Resident Evil

spoiler (click to show/hide)
REBECCA NOOOOOOOOOO  :brazilcry :brazilcry :brazilcry
[close]

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #29955 on: October 08, 2017, 09:36:54 PM »
Looked up this particular point and reloaded the save. Fuck. That.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29956 on: October 08, 2017, 09:39:10 PM »
lol you better move yr ass
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29957 on: October 08, 2017, 10:09:13 PM »
Rebecca is a mary-sue, leave her to die
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29958 on: October 09, 2017, 08:42:54 AM »
I played Saints Row 4 (re-elected) this weekend. Very fun game. Gonna do some achievement cleanup, then play Gat Out Of Hell.

Is Agents of Mayhem basically Saints 5? Not sure why they just didnt call it Saints 5.

Got Uncharted: The Lesbian Legacy from Gamefly as well.

Finished SMT4A finally, and of course I jump right into DQ7. Yikes

SMT4A was really good, way bettter than SMT4.
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29959 on: October 09, 2017, 11:31:16 PM »
But I did pick up some negativity surrounding Torment during release. Was that just because of the content inXile didn't or couldn't implement despite promises being made during crowdfounding?

I'd say that a sizable chunk of the negativity was because of the missing content, some of which has made its way back into the game via updates.
dog

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #29960 on: October 10, 2017, 12:43:16 AM »
Resident Evil

REBECCA NOOOOOOOOOO  :brazilcry :brazilcry :brazilcry
[close]

Unless you're going for the achievements: Don't worry about it. The canon ending is
Barry, Rebecca, Jill, and Chris all leaving
[close]
which the game kinda ignores for obvious reasons.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #29961 on: October 10, 2017, 07:03:34 PM »
Doom 64 using Doom 64 EX. The spookiest Doom? Possibly. Only played the first 3 levels so far, but it's striking just how small they are. I shouldn't be surprised, but still.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29962 on: October 10, 2017, 07:42:46 PM »
keep at it. the game gets sooooo much more atmospheric and cool as you go on. i fucking love that game.
pcp

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #29963 on: October 11, 2017, 12:31:52 AM »
Beat Resident Evil with Chris.

Saved Rebecca and Jill
[close]

Gonna run through it again with Jill later this week and then switch to Silent Hill eventually

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #29964 on: October 11, 2017, 01:56:52 AM »
Platinumed Dragon Quest Builders. No ragerts.
que

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #29965 on: October 11, 2017, 12:13:13 PM »
Doom64 EX is fuuuuuucking stellar.
zzzzz

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #29966 on: October 12, 2017, 01:30:54 AM »
I played Saints Row 4 (re-elected) this weekend. Very fun game. Gonna do some achievement cleanup, then play Gat Out Of Hell.

Is Agents of Mayhem basically Saints 5? Not sure why they just didnt call it Saints 5.
Sorta but also not, rather than you powering up one character you created, there's these various characters that you pick three from who have their own powers and limitations and personalities and so on. But you can change which three in and out at your base or something like any standard RPG.

Mission wise and stuff it's pretty similar if seems a bit toned down in scale, though the open world seems so vacant, if you only have played 4 (and Gat) you probably won't notice as much. (Or haven't played The Third or 2 or 1 in a long while.)

They had other plans for Saints Row, so spun this off of it.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #29967 on: October 13, 2017, 10:29:16 AM »
I've played a little bit of Cuphead over the last day or two.

I don't think I like it very much. I'll admit that I'm dying a lot and having to restart - which is kinda the point. I don't think it's that aspect that I don't like. I think the actual design is kind of... boring? Very basic platforming levels and the bosses haven't really done anything for me. I finished the first bi-plane boss that turns into a taurus and I kinda just feel very :yeshrug about it.
nat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29968 on: October 13, 2017, 10:42:39 AM »
the more I watch of cuphead the less I want to play it because the visuals look like they're taken directly from my childhood nightmares
pcp

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #29969 on: October 13, 2017, 04:41:33 PM »
I think the actual design is kind of... boring?

Everything I've seen of the game screams this at me, but everyone's going nuts for the game so I don't know what to think. I'll need to try for myself I guess.
zzzzz

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #29970 on: October 13, 2017, 05:10:49 PM »
I'm super early and I haven't really fully formed my thoughts yet. I just left feeling indifferent to it.

I also wish it was on Switch so I could more easily pick it up and put it down.
nat

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #29971 on: October 14, 2017, 05:28:10 PM »
This Jill playthrough is  :jeanluc

I've got a better grasp of the castle layout but her taking more damage doesn't make up for her 2 extra inventory slots.

Also, apparently I beat the game with Chris on "easy" even though the difficulty description looked like it would be "Normal" so I'm actually playing on Normal now...pretty weird.
[close]

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29972 on: October 15, 2017, 11:09:46 AM »
ok how come no one ever told me final fantasy tactics had a graphics upgrade for smartphones wtf ff community

pcp

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #29973 on: October 15, 2017, 12:33:34 PM »
http://decisionproblem.com/paperclips/index2.html

:goty2
:stahp
[close]
I turned the entire universe into paperclips. I'm free. :rejoice
[close]
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 02:14:39 PM by Rufus »

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #29974 on: October 15, 2017, 03:05:14 PM »
Shadow of War is pretty fun

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #29975 on: October 15, 2017, 10:22:49 PM »
Think I'm finally kinda figuring out Warframe.
nat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29976 on: October 15, 2017, 10:23:24 PM »
ok how come no one ever told me final fantasy tactics had a graphics upgrade for smartphones wtf ff community

(Image removed from quote.)
Very few people in this forum have the wisdom to realize that FFT is the only worthwhile FF in the series, so they try and hide the good stuff about it. ( :teehee )

Sorta but also not, rather than you powering up one character you created, there's these various characters that you pick three from who have their own powers and limitations and personalities and so on. But you can change which three in and out at your base or something like any standard RPG.

Mission wise and stuff it's pretty similar if seems a bit toned down in scale, though the open world seems so vacant, if you only have played 4 (and Gat) you probably won't notice as much. (Or haven't played The Third or 2 or 1 in a long while.)

They had other plans for Saints Row, so spun this off of it.

Wait, so this is not a team-based multiplayer game? I assumed it was Volition's Overwatch answer. It's singleplayer friendly?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29977 on: October 15, 2017, 10:41:54 PM »
pcp

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #29978 on: October 15, 2017, 11:12:40 PM »
Wait, so this is not a team-based multiplayer game? I assumed it was Volition's Overwatch answer. It's singleplayer friendly?
It's just singleplayer, not even co-op, though it certainly appeared that way at first.

Think I'm finally kinda figuring out Warframe.
Same. Not especially thrilled about the Plains of Eidolon update though, which is what inspired me to revisit the game.

Currently farming Meso S5 relics to get Saryn Prime Neuroptics so I can become a general with Steel Meridian and get my hands on some augments for Rhino and Excal, as well as a shiny Vaykor weapons, the most coveted of which I won't be able to use until I can pump my Mastery Rank up to 12 (?), which is going to take forever. End me, please. :stahp

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #29979 on: October 15, 2017, 11:21:29 PM »
It's a single player only game.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29980 on: October 16, 2017, 10:00:49 AM »
Played & Finished Uncharted: The Lost Lesbian

It was... well, generic.

In its own Uncharted way.

You go through jungle, explore amazingly detailed environments and solve neat temple puzzles, then wind up doing something totally not-treasure-hunting on some modern landscape (in this case, a railyard). The "open world" level was extremely out of place.

Very short game too. Good rental at least.
fat

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #29981 on: October 16, 2017, 10:05:25 AM »
Danganronpa V3. Kaede is my gurl.
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29982 on: October 16, 2017, 05:58:21 PM »
It's a single player only game.

Is it safe to say that it was marketed in a way that did not service that impression?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29983 on: October 16, 2017, 06:33:32 PM »
i think it's safe to question whether it was marketed at all
pcp

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #29984 on: October 16, 2017, 09:43:49 PM »
being playing Warframe as per usual but specifically the new Plains of Eidolon open world section they just added.

Its interesting and a big area but there are things that are either not currently in or are very half backed shows how new these guys are at open world stuff tbh. Things such as the party system in respect to an open world, the paltry rewards being given, mission ending bugs, the limited amount of randomly generated missions that are used, no easy way to go back to the starting area once you are done, the method that would help with the previous issue is initially behind a timer and being part of a clan (or you can pay using plat aka real money  :lol) plus that's just to allow the method to be used. In actually using it you need an item that's a consumable you have to build.

Plus its also kinda empty  :yeshrug

They have already taken steps to fix some of the issues (they have increased the rewards and fix the mission failing randomly bug) but hopefully they can iron out the rest

The other game i have been playing is Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor and its cool but man i couldn't give any less of a shit for that story and just turning my brain off.

The nemesis system is awesome and since i'm kinda rubbish at the game its doing its job.

One of my rivals just fucking leaves every time he downs me  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 10:08:53 PM by Purple Filth »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29985 on: October 17, 2017, 12:25:01 AM »
That Nemesis system was the high point of the game. Building emergent rivalries and having to track multiple miniboss-level baddies with their individual weapon/tactic-resistances. Good stuff.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29986 on: October 18, 2017, 12:10:24 AM »
Just putting more time into Ys 8, damn this is a long-ass game. 35 hours in and in the middle of chapter 5, have about 75% map coverage.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #29987 on: October 18, 2017, 02:11:50 AM »
Just putting more time into Ys 8, damn this is a long-ass game. 35 hours in and in the middle of chapter 5, have about 75% map coverage.

Yup, padded Falcom is padded.

Cold Steel 3 is like 120+ hours long, longer than P5 which was probably the longest single player rpg I've ever played. I'm 65 hours into Cold Steel 3 now and just barely over halfway.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29988 on: October 18, 2017, 08:34:32 AM »
Honestly, they could've totally axed the whole Dana component of the game and just left it as a game about being castaways and all the drama that entails (like the end of chapter 2 was the high point of the story so far for me). Map coverage, finding survivors, defending your village (except with a few less of the village defense battles), and make the game 25-30h and it would have been perfect.
^_^

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #29989 on: October 18, 2017, 07:45:17 PM »
Beat Resident Evil again with Jill. Soon, I'm gonna switch over to Silent Hill

archie4208

« Reply #29990 on: October 18, 2017, 07:48:16 PM »
I beat ActRaiser in 3 hours.  I don't remember that game being so short and easy.  Still fun, although my nostalgia made it better than I remembered.

Bebpo

« Reply #29991 on: October 18, 2017, 08:46:20 PM »
Honestly, they could've totally axed the whole Dana component of the game and just left it as a game about being castaways and all the drama that entails (like the end of chapter 2 was the high point of the story so far for me). Map coverage, finding survivors, defending your village (except with a few less of the village defense battles), and make the game 25-30h and it would have been perfect.

Yeah, I don't think the Dana side was well implemented at all. Barely appears until pretty far in and rest is ehh. Ditch that, ditch some of the tower defense stuff and it'd be a better paced game.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29992 on: October 19, 2017, 07:43:20 AM »
Making progress in Bloodborne. Just started the red moon after killing Rom.
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29993 on: October 19, 2017, 08:54:00 AM »
Making progress in Bloodborne. Just started the red moon after killing Rom.

You taking it slow huh? :P.

Amazing game, even better dlc.
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29994 on: October 19, 2017, 08:56:14 AM »
Playing other games in between, actually
fat

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #29995 on: October 19, 2017, 11:18:33 AM »
Got emulators running on my Wii U and started playing Virtual Boy Wario Land. Still amazing. My first time playing it since I played it on the VB as a kid, and I immediately recalled the overwhelming smell of the VB's spongy eye pads. :lol
zzzzz

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #29996 on: October 19, 2017, 02:38:00 PM »
http://decisionproblem.com/paperclips/index2.html

:goty2
:stahp
[close]
I turned the entire universe into paperclips. I'm free. :rejoice
[close]
I've had a browser window open with this since you posted. It's oddly fascinating

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #29997 on: October 19, 2017, 03:20:05 PM »
Be careful with these clicker things. Seriously addictive and distracting. At least this one has an ending...

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #29998 on: October 19, 2017, 05:53:44 PM »
Oh I know. I put like 300 hours into clicker heroes lol

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #29999 on: October 19, 2017, 05:57:23 PM »
You made me look at mine and now I'm sad.

4510 hours. :stahp
Or in other words, the uptime of my PC from the time I installed the game to the time I uninstalled it.
[close]