Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3607515 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #29760 on: August 12, 2017, 12:25:04 AM »
Doom 3's X-box port was crazy. A bunch of New Yorkers porting a Texas tech-demo engine to it and sizing areas down to where it didn't feel like a GIGANTIC downgrade.

Vicarious Visions. :bow :bow
Weird I can't seem to find their postmortem on that for Gamasutra/GameDeveloper

enjoy this instead i guess:
RE2 N64: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131556/postmortem_angel_studios_.php
THPS PS1 to DC: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131563/postmortem_treyarchs_tony_hawks_.php

benjipwns

« Reply #29761 on: August 12, 2017, 12:30:19 AM »
found an old gaf thread asking for a gamecube port of Doom 3, half the thread is banned: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41167

Such a great bullshit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Carmack is big Microsoft fanboy... !
Quote from: Borys
Doom 3 went to Xbox not because it's the strongest console out there but because there's a market for this kind of game (FPS) on the green console. The majority of Xboxers (that's a neutral term, right?) love shooters and they'll love Doom 3.
Thats not true, the Majority of PC FPS players I know, including myself thought Doom3 was nothing more than a tech demo. We all got it for the hype and got bored of it after a few hours. I'm sorry but people won't love it just because it's an FPS.

benjipwns

« Reply #29762 on: August 12, 2017, 12:30:27 AM »
The day Duke Nukem forever comes out is the day doom 3 goes on gamecube.
woah this dude totally lied...and he's not banned?

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #29763 on: August 12, 2017, 06:15:39 AM »
No Man's Sky :rejoice

Bulleta©™®

• is probably playing some game
« Reply #29764 on: August 14, 2017, 03:51:08 AM »
Zelda 2 randomizer is so confusing (mostly the overworld). You really want to keep notes of where crap is or you'll spend 4+ hours on a seed.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29765 on: August 14, 2017, 04:21:54 AM »
Beat SOTN and futzed around with Richter for a bit.

Started Beyond Good & Evil yesterday. The camera(not the mechanic, the game itself) bothers me for some reason and a lot of the gameplay mechanics are pretty rusty, specifically the combat. But man do I like the saturday morning cartoon vibe, the world they built, and while the mechanics might not have stood the test of time I do find the game itself pretty interesting.

I'm a little annoyed now at how BG&E2 is some Destiny like game instead of building upon this, would love to see how the main gameplay hooks translate into now that we're two generations of hardware apart.

The tech demo for BG&E2 looked fantastic, but it was the original game's heart that won me over. It had a fantastic attitude and consistent feeling despite its obvious roots in Euro-comic weirdo-nonsense. I know I'm coming off as intentionally belligerent, and I'm half-sorry; it's just that, despite their inarguable beauty and visual competence, I've never read a European comic that was even half coherent. Metal Hurlant or a kiddie Incal is what BG&E feels like, and it's better for its simpler storytelling.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29766 on: August 14, 2017, 08:29:30 AM »
I beat Fire Emblem Echoes (Normal/Classic) and it was probably the most frustrating entry in the series yet.

This game SCREAMS RNG, from the horrible level ups to the whiffs on 90% hit. They even torture you by including the Turnwheel which gives you the ability to rewind turns (even so much as all the way to the beginning of the fight) if you fucked up and got a character killed.

Then they have Jedah, who can only be hurt every 4th hit. What the fuck.

The dungeon segments were neat. I liked how they let me use all my characters in fights (except the final fight) so I wasn't constantly having to switch things up so characters could get XP.

Next up: SMT4A
fat

Raist

« Reply #29767 on: August 14, 2017, 10:19:14 AM »
despite its obvious roots in Euro-comic weirdo-nonsense.

:trigger

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29768 on: August 14, 2017, 05:59:54 PM »

If you want to point me at a Euro-comic that's both not oriented at juveniles and makes coherent sense to American sensibilities, I'll read it. My collections of Metal Hurlant, Jodorowsky scribed singles, Dylan Dog compendium, and —let's face it— the majority of Moebius' works, have shown me that Americans are just on a different wavelength.

benjipwns

« Reply #29769 on: August 14, 2017, 06:07:56 PM »
Beat SOTN and futzed around with Richter for a bit.

Started Beyond Good & Evil yesterday. The camera(not the mechanic, the game itself) bothers me for some reason and a lot of the gameplay mechanics are pretty rusty, specifically the combat. But man do I like the saturday morning cartoon vibe, the world they built, and while the mechanics might not have stood the test of time I do find the game itself pretty interesting.

I'm a little annoyed now at how BG&E2 is some Destiny like game instead of building upon this, would love to see how the main gameplay hooks translate into now that we're two generations of hardware apart.
Which version? PS2?

I want to say I wound up preferring the Gamecube version just because the controller seemed to work better. Like the lack of buttons made them map things better.

Bebpo

« Reply #29770 on: August 15, 2017, 01:44:59 AM »
I've been jokingly fighting back and forth with duckroll about Bravely Default's writing & localization. He thinks it sucks but I think is pretty damn great & charming!

I rest my case  :punch

Raist

« Reply #29771 on: August 15, 2017, 04:04:06 AM »

If you want to point me at a Euro-comic that's both not oriented at juveniles and makes coherent sense to American sensibilities, I'll read it. My collections of Metal Hurlant, Jodorowsky scribed singles, Dylan Dog compendium, and —let's face it— the majority of Moebius' works, have shown me that Americans are just on a different wavelength.

American comics aren't oritented at juveniles? :lol

Here's a few:

Blue is the warmest color
Torpedo
War of the trenches
Largo Winch and XIII
The dormant beast (and Enki Bilal's other works)
Elric of Melniboné comics
Thorgal
Lanfeust of Troy

And, of course, Corto Maltese.

Euro comics generally fall into 4 major categories
Sci-Fi / Fantasy
Thriller
Comedy
What I assume you qualify as the juvenile stuff? i.e Tintin, Asterix, Spirou and Fantasio etc. But honestly, these are great reads at any age :yeshrug

So there's something for everyone.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 04:13:25 AM by Raist »

Raist

« Reply #29772 on: August 15, 2017, 04:21:09 AM »

I just got those. Love the books so hoping the comic does them justice.

Which ones? There have been countless.

Arguably the best ones (even according to Moorcock himself) are fairly recent, by Julien Blondel.

Raist

« Reply #29773 on: August 15, 2017, 04:37:22 AM »
Well you're in for a treat then.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29774 on: August 16, 2017, 06:54:06 PM »

I just got those. Love the books so hoping the comic does them justice.

Which ones? There have been countless.

Arguably the best ones (even according to Moorcock himself) are fairly recent, by Julien Blondel.
Ooh, v1 of Elric by Blondel is like US$6; I'm all over that.

Thanks for those other suggestions, too! I've put them in my notes for future shopping.  :-*

Raist

« Reply #29775 on: August 17, 2017, 04:38:18 AM »
No worries. Hope you'll find something to your taste. :-*

There's also some damn fine examples of humorous comic strips, especially from Gotlib, a french Bande Dessinée legend. I doubt his work was ever translated into english, though. And if it was, I'm not sure it translates well. I suppose you could learn french in your spare time.

You'd get to know our finest superhero figure. Superdupont.

spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes, this is simultaneously taking the piss out of american superhero comics, and french folks
[close]

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #29776 on: August 18, 2017, 05:03:22 PM »
I 100%ed that game, with the exception of the endurance races.

I cannot bear the engine noise any more. I think they used the same square waves in the PS3 games.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29777 on: August 19, 2017, 11:13:50 PM »
Got 1000 on RiME -- the "ICO" game by Tequila Works

I enjoyed it, though it pretty much told the same story as Deadlight
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #29778 on: August 20, 2017, 02:53:03 AM »
Finished Ys VIII PS4 took around ~45 hours to do everything and get the true ending.

My recommendation if you're gonna play it is to play the ugly Vita version. All the PS4 additions are just another 10-15 hours of busywork which make a slowly paced padded game even slower and more padded and checkbox clearing. Game is ok when it's just a normal Ys adventuring with Adol and slashing stuff & fighting bosses. Everything else (story, dialogue, NPCs, sidequests, tower defense) is very mediocre and that's about 50% of the gametime. Everyone seemed to really like the Vita version, so I kinda wish I'd played that one. I'd give the PS4 game about a 7/10 and a lot of it reminded me of doing Achievement/trophy clear up checking off boxes work which I didn't care for, maybe the Vita one would've been more like an 8/10 with its less padding.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29779 on: August 20, 2017, 03:32:49 AM »
Can you play "Nightmare" difficulty (or whatever is the hardest) from the start? Thats how I played Celceta
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #29780 on: August 20, 2017, 03:58:18 AM »
Yes, but there's an Inferno difficulty that's locked until new game+

Easy/Normal/Hard/Nightmare/Inferno. Difficulty doesn't change the boss patterns/hit detection or at all, just damage taken increases and damage output decreases. I settled on Hard and it was challenging (or not with items). Nightmare was kinda 1 hit = dead on a lot of stuff which wasn't that fun for me. I find the hit detection kinda funky in the game so I needed some room for error.

Fifstar

« Reply #29781 on: August 20, 2017, 07:11:47 AM »
Thanks to based Benji I started Stardew Valley. Game is really fun. Addicting as hell but also relaxing. At first I thought that it's just a souped up clicker game (the farming aspect) but the slow pace of the game and the writing mixes things up. Plus the game keeps bringing in new elements.
Gulp

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29782 on: August 20, 2017, 10:24:01 AM »
Finished Ys VIII PS4 took around ~45 hours to do everything and get the true ending.

My recommendation if you're gonna play it is to play the ugly Vita version. All the PS4 additions are just another 10-15 hours of busywork which make a slowly paced padded game even slower and more padded and checkbox clearing. Game is ok when it's just a normal Ys adventuring with Adol and slashing stuff & fighting bosses. Everything else (story, dialogue, NPCs, sidequests, tower defense) is very mediocre and that's about 50% of the gametime. Everyone seemed to really like the Vita version, so I kinda wish I'd played that one. I'd give the PS4 game about a 7/10 and a lot of it reminded me of doing Achievement/trophy clear up checking off boxes work which I didn't care for, maybe the Vita one would've been more like an 8/10 with its less padding.

Oh shit... from what I read in the import impressions for the game, this was a bit of a return to form after the padded 7 and Celceta. That's a bit depressing to hear that this continues with the padding, and tower defense?  :yuck
^_^

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29783 on: August 20, 2017, 08:42:37 PM »
I started Deadly Tower of Monsters, which was free on PSN. I played for about two hours and determined that, despite a clever pulp sci-fi movie presentation gimmick, the game is utter garbage. DNF

Styx: Master of Shadows was also a free PSN game which I finally downloaded and tried. It's scratching an itch that I didn't know I was feeling: creeping around and killing low-polygon guards in a Warhammer-like grim fantasy setting. It's fun, but there are all kinds of quirks with its stealth model. It also did an auto-save right after I turned visible in front of a half dozen guards, so I will have to back up to my ONE manual save, and replay a fair bit. Still worth it for now. May end up just playing the Mordheim tactics game instead, but that's not a stealth action thing, it's turn based and has its own problematic euroquirks.

FStop7

« Reply #29784 on: August 20, 2017, 09:48:10 PM »
I've been completely sucked in by PUBG.  Over 10 hours since Saturday plus another 5 or 6 spent watching Twitch streams.  The best finish I've had is 13th place with 4 kills. 

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29785 on: August 20, 2017, 11:03:32 PM »
decided to play thru sonic adventure for the first time since release, and god damn that game still sucks. i can't imagine they played the hub world maps and thought any of that shit was fun. and after playing sonic mania it's even clearer how much sa lost the biggest part of what made sonic levels fun: the constant alternate paths. old sonic gave you tons of options to explore, but it always made sure you kept moving forward. sa just keeps you moving forward while you deal with the shit camera and controls.

it's funny looking at the reviews section of its wiki. the original had everyone hyping it up saying it's one of the best games ever, changes everything, etc. then the Gamecube port comes along just four years later and it's a bunch of 4/10s, this game is trash, don't play this. fucking massive backlash.
pcp

Raist

« Reply #29786 on: August 23, 2017, 02:34:55 PM »
Haven't played an RTS in fucking forever (I don't really count stuff like Anno etc). Played a bunch of Starcraft/BW and RA back when they came out... 20 years ago? Fuck me.

Anyway I got Starcraft 2.Played through a good chunk of WoL for now.

Who the fuck wrote the plot/dialogues and designed the campaign missions. What the fuck happened.

Bebpo

« Reply #29787 on: August 24, 2017, 01:19:37 AM »
Finished Oxenfree. I liked it and though the dialogue and VA was very good and reminded me of Life is Strange except without Chloe getting all annoying half the time. Gameplay was really minimal, which is ok but it's closer to a walking sim than an adventure game (again, which is perfectly fine). The gameplay is mostly revolved around branching choices that give an illusion of choice sometimes and real choice other times. The ending is slightly different based on the choices as are some of the dialogues that play out, but was a little disappointed outside like 1-2 things you couldn't make any major choices that change how the game plays. But yeah, was a good well-written and acted short story and was worth the 4 hours-ish that it takes. Also has like 2 really great songs and the rest of the ost is ambient and ok but not too memorable.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #29788 on: August 24, 2017, 07:04:50 AM »
Haven't played an RTS in fucking forever (I don't really count stuff like Anno etc). Played a bunch of Starcraft/BW and RA back when they came out... 20 years ago? Fuck me.

Anyway I got Starcraft 2.Played through a good chunk of WoL for now.

Who the fuck wrote the plot/dialogues and designed the campaign missions. What the fuck happened.

If you want a play a good recent RTS, give the newest Homeworld a try. Deserts of Kharak I think it's called. It gets a little tedious bat times but I really loved it.
nat

Bebpo

« Reply #29789 on: August 25, 2017, 01:31:36 AM »
Dragon Quest XI is so great. Pretty much enjoy every minute with it and have a smile going the whole time. If you break it down to its core, DQXI is basically what FFXIII tried to do but DQXI actually does it right. It's a story-based fairly linear game (so far at least where I'm at) with a few sidequests, but otherwise you're just progressing from small map zones to dungeons/towns. But it works! And it works great. The story is paced real well and is a lot of fun, the characters are good, there's lots of towns and NPCs and they're all varied, the dungeons have fun gimmicks, the map zones are really pretty. It's a little annoying in that why can't FF pull off a game like this? And to top it off DQXI PS4 which looks incredible (UE4) and is apparently like a 70 hour full size game, was made from start to finish in a 2 year development period by ex-Cavia people.

The insane efficiency and accomplishment of the game is a sight to behold. Maybe UE4 helped a lot! I want to believe that was a big part of it. Because if it means jrpg developers can make full size great looking rpgs in 2 year dev periods that don't feel rushed or unfinished, that's going to be a huge step forward for Japan and console gaming.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 01:36:47 AM by Bebpo »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29790 on: August 26, 2017, 01:30:10 AM »
I just finished Clock Tower 3 on PS2, jesus was that so bad. LMAO

Got some survival horrors lined up for some October gaming
fat

Freyj

« Reply #29791 on: August 26, 2017, 07:59:10 AM »
FF can't pull off a DQXI because of the obsession with redefining the series with each new entry.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29792 on: August 26, 2017, 08:30:42 AM »
I just finished Clock Tower 3 on PS2, jesus was that so bad. LMAO

Got some survival horrors lined up for some October gaming

ugh that game is a disgrace. pretty amazing how shit it is on every level. i do kinda regret passing on haunting grounds, but i could imagine it being just as terrible. what else you got lined up tho?
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29793 on: August 26, 2017, 10:44:45 AM »
Well I dont have Haunting Grounds or Rule of Rose for obvious reasons, so I've been getting smaller titles that I may have never played (or briefly).

Started playing Extermination (PS2)
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29794 on: August 26, 2017, 11:08:47 AM »
rule of rose makes clock tower 3 look like a masterpiece. it's a stretch to even call it a finished game. just pure unadulterated shit and honestly one of the worst games i've ever played. please never pay money for it unless it's to resell it for profit.
pcp

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #29795 on: August 26, 2017, 11:23:37 AM »
Extermination is decent. The last boss sucks though. Conserve your health items as much as possible.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29796 on: August 27, 2017, 11:27:11 PM »
Finished extermination, you were right on the last boss, idk how you even do that correctly.

Put in X-Files: Resist or Serve (PS2). They made one xfiles game for ps1 and pc in the vein of myst (i own it, will probably play it soon). They also made this game on ps2, it plays like a resident evil.
fat

Raist

« Reply #29797 on: August 28, 2017, 03:24:25 AM »
Finished SC2's Heart of the Swarm. MUCH better than Wings of Liberty. Although whoever thought that Primal Zerg bosses mission was a good idea can kiss my ass.
Time for some Protoss shenanigans.

Fifstar

« Reply #29798 on: August 28, 2017, 06:25:10 AM »
Checked out Euro Truck Simulator 2 and now I'm finding myself looking for Youtube Vids and blogs how to maneuver a truck backwards into a discharge spot  :doge
Gulp

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29799 on: August 28, 2017, 01:42:35 PM »
Bought homefront revolution for ps4.. 10 bucks.. seems allright tho?
What

Raist

« Reply #29800 on: August 29, 2017, 06:35:34 PM »
Finished Legacy of the Void. Except the epilogue. Not sure I can be arsed. Was way too spammy overall.

I think I need some SC/BW to cleanse my palate. Is the remaster really worth it or just getting the OG for free good enough?

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29801 on: August 29, 2017, 09:10:00 PM »
Nearing the end of Sanic and Splatoon 2 single player. Gonna hold off on sinking my teeth into a big RPG afterwards and just hold out for Ys 8.
^_^

benjipwns

« Reply #29802 on: August 29, 2017, 09:19:09 PM »
Bought homefront revolution for ps4.. 10 bucks.. seems allright tho?
was highly recommended by tom chick, as despite some real imported euro jank parts had some unique concepts that other similar games haven't been doing as smartly with their similar open worlds (ala the division, etc.), and counter to what i saw from a lot of professional video game analysts who seemed to focus on that jank like stuff randomly popping in or having to retrigger missions over what the game actually did or didn't do gameplay wise

i also picked it up a while back for $8 for the complete whatever that adds

also i was hoping i could stop by paddy's pub and other famous landmarks like the italian market to haggle with gypsies

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29803 on: August 29, 2017, 10:14:02 PM »
I gave up on XFiles. Shit got distinguished mentally-challenged difficult. Even the guide on gamefaqs pretty much said "yeah this shit is distinguished mentally-challenged, just use cheats"

By the way this game has cheats. Thats wild.

Resident Evil: Dead Aim next
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29804 on: August 30, 2017, 03:20:25 AM »
I'm always curious about F2P games; it's stupid, I have a massive backlog of fantastic shit, but I always want to try F2P stuff, and it is always disappointing. Today's example: Blacklight Retribution on PS4. This game has several different currencies, play modes, customization and progression ladders… ALL of it, completely opaque. Like a 7GB download and then another several GBs in added data to download; none of it is a tutorial, no in-game cues about menu usage, etc.

:aint_nobody_got_time_for_that.gif

DELETED.

benjipwns

« Reply #29805 on: August 30, 2017, 04:02:21 AM »
There was a time when Blacklight: Retribution was actually a pretty good game. (Hence the surprisingly good metacritic/gamerankings scores.) Then as other F2P stuff took over and its player base dwindled (steamspy say it's at 100 players...from a year where it was over 5000 which is CoD numbers), it really fell into a hole of a million currency types, god awful menus, etc. Plus it swapped publishers, lost the publisher and then Zombie got shutdown and the whole game is now run by an offshoot band of the developers who I think are mainly focused on...um, I dunno, banning cheaters from time to time I guess.

When it was announced for PS4 around launch it was a fairly decent "get" based on how the Steam version was at the time. It was basically Call of Duty with a Batman Vision pulse and better maps with one currency that was mostly focused on cosmetics. (And you could buy the airdrop stuff, but anyone on your team could pick them up so it balanced out.) Everything else was in an unlock tree. (Which you could obviously pay to advance in quicker.) I remember lots of the guns felt great to use, unlike CoD half the time. And smart use of the pulse did a lot, especially as the maps had lots of shortcuts and sideroutes before those were common in the modern MP FPS.

It did always have that problem of making you think it was installed and then it was all hey, guess what here's another 10GB we need to download. And server issues. And patches that made performance worse.

From checking on Steam, I guess a few years ago they canned the PC branch and brought the PS4 branch over as the main one, which made dramatic changes to the gameplay, eliminated whole tiers of items people had accumulated and basically killed the playerbase on top of the server issues and now even more performance issues since it was for PS4 spec.

I too have that F2P fascination and even when something that looks decent like Gigantic comes along I'm more drawn to this other generic shooter with a terrible name, no clear "hook" and god awful designs everywhere, especially menus.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29806 on: August 30, 2017, 06:03:39 AM »
Yeah, what is it with shit-tastic front-ends on F2P games? They're always needlessly opaque and/or complex. I love World of Tanks, but it's a fucking shitshow to navigate as a n00b.

Bebpo

« Reply #29807 on: August 30, 2017, 12:32:40 PM »
Hot Shots Golf/Everybody's Golf/Minna no Golf - It has some issues (takes too long to unlock courses, graphics still kinda suck & art direction looks like Miis-imitation, PS3 control method is missing, online is kind of janky), but the golfing is still good ole HSG and the online is pretty fun and smooth. It's definitely a step down from the PS3 one in single player, but the MP is better (PS3 MP was incredibly jank).

It's the only golfing game I've ever cared about, so last night I had a bunch of fun golfing again for the first time in like 6+ years and couldn't put it down. It's a pretty easy game to review. Do you like HSG a lot? Then yeah, pick it up and join in. It's also pretty cheap, got mine for $30 so no complaints there.

benjipwns

« Reply #29808 on: August 30, 2017, 12:41:53 PM »
Speaking of F2P games...

Bethesda/Splash Damage randomly made BRINK F2P on Steam, it has 800-1200 player counts now after being dead* for six years: http://store.steampowered.com/app/22350/BRINK/

This happened a week ago and SirSwag has yet to address it. :ufup

*okay, so it had two servers when i last tried to play it randomly a couple years ago, and one of them had a full match worth of people

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #29809 on: August 30, 2017, 01:41:37 PM »
They actually dropped the Hot Shots name in NA and just went with Everyone's Golf for the first time.
©@©™

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #29810 on: August 30, 2017, 02:33:08 PM »
Speaking of F2P games...

Bethesda/Splash Damage randomly made BRINK F2P on Steam, it has 800-1200 player counts now after being dead* for six years: http://store.steampowered.com/app/22350/BRINK/

This happened a week ago and SirSwag has yet to address it. :ufup

*okay, so it had two servers when i last tried to play it randomly a couple years ago, and one of them had a full match worth of people

:tocry :tocry :tocry :tocry :tocry :tocry :tocry

i had this one on pre-order

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
i love how the first video result for brink on yt rn is "DO NOT play this, play dirty bomb instead"
[close]

Raist

« Reply #29811 on: August 30, 2017, 03:36:14 PM »
Hot Shots Golf/Everybody's Golf/Minna no Golf - It has some issues (takes too long to unlock courses, graphics still kinda suck & art direction looks like Miis-imitation, PS3 control method is missing, online is kind of janky), but the golfing is still good ole HSG and the online is pretty fun and smooth. It's definitely a step down from the PS3 one in single player, but the MP is better (PS3 MP was incredibly jank).

It's the only golfing game I've ever cared about, so last night I had a bunch of fun golfing again for the first time in like 6+ years and couldn't put it down. It's a pretty easy game to review. Do you like HSG a lot? Then yeah, pick it up and join in. It's also pretty cheap, got mine for $30 so no complaints there.

Never played a HSG game. Played the shit out of Pangya though. Are they even remotely similar?

archie4208

« Reply #29812 on: August 30, 2017, 03:54:33 PM »
Very much so.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #29813 on: August 31, 2017, 06:32:59 PM »
Timing based swing meter golf games  :rejoice
Analog swing simulator garbage golf games  :kobeyuck

Totally getting Everybody's Golf
zzzzz

Raist

« Reply #29814 on: September 01, 2017, 01:35:37 PM »
StarCraft remastered. Halfway through the Terran campaign. So much better than SC2 :rejoice.

The UI etc is a bit rough after SC2 though :lol

Also thought they'd have remade the CG cutscenes. That was a bit of a shock. Looked amazing back then.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #29815 on: September 01, 2017, 05:39:58 PM »
I played some No Man's Sky while I was waiting for Everybody's Golf updates to download (6.2GB Day 1 patch for a fucking golf game, lick my taint Sony :maf ).

I had to run 10 minutes across a toxic, radioactive hellscape to get the resources I needed to repair my ship and I died right before I got there and had to do it again.

Fuck this game. Fuck Sean Murray. Fuck Sony. Fuck videogames. Selling my PS4 and buying an Xbox One XS to watch 4K BD's.
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #29816 on: September 01, 2017, 05:42:34 PM »
DF posted a sorta neat video about it, they rebuilt the original game from scratch, flaws and all just with better support for modern hardware:

though it does use all old videos and even animation cycles as part of that keeping it in line with the original game's timings

according to the comments the N64 version of the game doesn't have the 12 unit selection limit he mentions so clearly that's the best version to get now

benjipwns

« Reply #29817 on: September 01, 2017, 05:45:05 PM »
also the comments in general are great:
Faiyez
1 week ago (edited)
Here's some consolation Starcraft 1 to hold you over cause you sure as hell know Star Citizen is vaporware.
Jay F
1 week ago
wow a pc game that's not a console port, but instead a remake of a 1998 game lmao
PS4 PRO
1 week ago
This is a remaster lmfao I thought pc has no limits but this is what we get
Arseni Plotnikov
1 week ago
7,5fps and 15fps? Do you pc players think this is acceptable for a remaster considering you make fun of 30fps console games?
VLAD URBAN
1 week ago
PC just isn't a platform for AAA-gaming.
This is the place for classic and indie games.
Even online games are better on consoles due to abscence of cheaters.
CastleWhisper
1 week ago
PC exclusive games are boring. Their only appeal is the big online userbase focused on e-sports. That´s what drives PC gaming nowadays. If you look up on steamstats you can only find 1 or 2 games (GTA V one of them) that are multiplatform and have a big userbase on PC. Everyone is on LoL, Dota 2, CS GO, Pubg, Overwatch, heartstone, Diablo, WoW, WoT. That´s all. Games using old engines and old mechanics and games that you run on any 3 year old laptop, wich everyone has. This is pc gaming. PC gaming is not driven by desktop PCs with powerful graphics cards. That´s a niche, according to steamstats. Why? Because there isn´t a single PC exclusive that pushes the available hardware to its max. A game built from scratch exclusively for PC taking advantage of a GTX1080ti, taking advantage of advanced volumetric lightning or advanced tesselation like Crytek did with Crysis 1 10 years ago. A real PC exclusive. Those games are gone. PC = esports RTS MOBA CardGames f2p

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29818 on: September 01, 2017, 05:57:47 PM »
also the comments in general are great:
Faiyez
1 week ago (edited)
Here's some consolation Starcraft 1 to hold you over cause you sure as hell know Star Citizen is vaporware.
Jay F
1 week ago
wow a pc game that's not a console port, but instead a remake of a 1998 game lmao
PS4 PRO
1 week ago
This is a remaster lmfao I thought pc has no limits but this is what we get
Arseni Plotnikov
1 week ago
7,5fps and 15fps? Do you pc players think this is acceptable for a remaster considering you make fun of 30fps console games?
VLAD URBAN
1 week ago
PC just isn't a platform for AAA-gaming.
This is the place for classic and indie games.
Even online games are better on consoles due to abscence of cheaters.
CastleWhisper
1 week ago
PC exclusive games are boring. Their only appeal is the big online userbase focused on e-sports. That´s what drives PC gaming nowadays. If you look up on steamstats you can only find 1 or 2 games (GTA V one of them) that are multiplatform and have a big userbase on PC. Everyone is on LoL, Dota 2, CS GO, Pubg, Overwatch, heartstone, Diablo, WoW, WoT. That´s all. Games using old engines and old mechanics and games that you run on any 3 year old laptop, wich everyone has. This is pc gaming. PC gaming is not driven by desktop PCs with powerful graphics cards. That´s a niche, according to steamstats. Why? Because there isn´t a single PC exclusive that pushes the available hardware to its max. A game built from scratch exclusively for PC taking advantage of a GTX1080ti, taking advantage of advanced volumetric lightning or advanced tesselation like Crytek did with Crysis 1 10 years ago. A real PC exclusive. Those games are gone. PC = esports RTS MOBA CardGames f2p
:neogaf
What

Raist

« Reply #29819 on: September 01, 2017, 06:00:37 PM »
I played some No Man's Sky while I was waiting for Everybody's Golf updates to download (6.2GB Day 1 patch for a fucking golf game, lick my taint Sony :maf ).

I had to run 10 minutes across a toxic, radioactive hellscape to get the resources I needed to repair my ship and I died right before I got there and had to do it again.

Fuck this game. Fuck Sean Murray. Fuck Sony. Fuck videogames. Selling my PS4 and buying an Xbox One XS to watch 4K BD's.

:umad

There's the creative mode for people who aren't very gud at vidyas  :hitler

DF posted a sorta neat video about it, they rebuilt the original game from scratch, flaws and all just with better support for modern hardware:

though it does use all old videos and even animation cycles as part of that keeping it in line with the original game's timings

according to the comments the N64 version of the game doesn't have the 12 unit selection limit he mentions so clearly that's the best version to get now

I have no issue with the ingame graphics. They hold up pretty well. The CG cutscenes though...? :kobeyuck