Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3608742 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #29640 on: July 16, 2017, 09:12:44 AM »
I don't know about the rest of the trilogy in the pack but the original first game is really like that though. In the DevsPlay, Rubin even admits they never play tested half the levels (not the first time he's said the level design is nonsense either), especially the side scrollers. There's all kinds of those borderline impossible timings where you basically have to take a hit. Can't find it with a thirty second YouTube search but there used to be a video of how the timings on the one pillars could easily get synced in such a way that you had to wait for the game to cycle through the timing triggers again to ever complete the jumps AND land on the one spot with the enemy's back turned. Otherwise it was really only truly survivable with invincibility or maybe max Aku Aku's and a little luck.

I popped it in my PS2 a few years ago for a bit with a couple other PS1 games I found that weren't with my others when moving shit around and barely got past the first world with lives. I couldn't believe that I somehow beat the game and collected most of the gems back originally.

2 and 3 are so much easier they had to add in all those time trials and stuff to make up for it. I have to assume most of the people who were wanting this and fondly think of the series never actually played the first game.

The GBA games actually play like the first one with those absurd jumping patterns and timings. And hilarious difficulty curves and spikes all over the place. IIRC, like the fourth stage or something is one of the three hardest in the entire game. And it comes after three levels where you can pretty much only die going for all the boxes.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29641 on: July 16, 2017, 09:23:44 AM »
There's an entire reddit dedicated to crash bandicoot and speedrunners and one of the top comments is the change to jumping and the weird collision (why you see yourself "landing" only to slip right off the edge)
fat

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #29642 on: July 16, 2017, 09:47:00 AM »
Yeah honestly, both the original and remaster are janky. The original we can of course forgive, but the remaster is an odd duck. It should be better but it never really had a great standard to live up to. Very strange.

I'll try Crash 2 and 3 soon.

benjipwns

« Reply #29643 on: July 16, 2017, 09:51:33 AM »
It's a remaster, not a port, so the new collision is a feature! :doge

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29644 on: July 16, 2017, 09:54:57 AM »
Lol this is far from a remaster, that excuse won't work for me
fat

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #29645 on: July 16, 2017, 10:46:34 AM »
All I'm saying is that they're both fucked up so there's no real need for an investigation

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #29646 on: July 16, 2017, 11:16:40 AM »
Due to that "Warframe open world" news i'm back to playing Warframe  :doge

FatalT

« Reply #29647 on: July 16, 2017, 10:01:00 PM »
So basically hold off on buying Crash Bandicoot until either it gets patched to fix the floaty physics or wait for a sale? I was really wanting to pick it up :(

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29648 on: July 16, 2017, 10:52:22 PM »
Up to the point of no return in Trails the 3rd, but I'm doing some grinding in the optional dungeon and finishing up the "doors" first. Which includes a stupid ass fishing minigame  :yuck
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29649 on: July 17, 2017, 01:11:23 AM »
So basically hold off on buying Crash Bandicoot until either it gets patched to fix the floaty physics or wait for a sale? I was really wanting to pick it up :(

They aren't going to patch it. Buy it, but just know you will die, and it won't be your fault. It's going to suck
fat

benjipwns

« Reply #29650 on: July 17, 2017, 07:41:36 PM »
the only thing they might patch are those oddly long load times especially for switching games, and maybe the strange framerate hitch on some launch PS4's, the game "plays as it's supposed to" especially since the camera is changed

in the case of the first game, cheap deaths are the norm anyway even with changed physics/collision, they'd probably have to go back over all the levels to fix it as altering the model would just cause ones in different locations

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29651 on: July 17, 2017, 09:52:35 PM »
Blog Post:

https://blog.activision.com/t5/More-Games/Go-Ahead-and-Jump/ba-p/10319197

tl;dr lul patch? plz look forward for comic-con for DLC
fat

benjipwns

« Reply #29652 on: July 17, 2017, 09:58:46 PM »
The modernization of the save and checkpoint systems make the first game a heck of a lot more forgiving than the original. On top of that, we added DDA (the dynamic difficulty adjustment that was originally only present in the second and third games) to our Crash Bandicoot, which gives Crash Aku Aku masks and checkpoints after a certain number of failures in a level. This certainly helps when players need it the most!
i forgot about this

i think Rubin said the first game actually does it too, in theory, except it can't change the box types so it doesn't actually do anything to give you more masks and stuff :lol

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #29653 on: July 18, 2017, 07:15:37 AM »
Crash remake is fantastic and it has always been agonizingly tough. Demi is just frustrated because he's coming to grips with being old and realizing he's not as good as he once was. :gloomy

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29654 on: July 18, 2017, 07:19:19 AM »
next he'll start blaming it on the controller smh
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #29655 on: July 20, 2017, 06:08:36 AM »
Finished Steins;Gate. Teared up a lot at that ending. I really liked the first half mystery sci-fi w/goofy cast & hilarious dialogues. The second half, the

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Repeating the same week over and over again to stop Mayuri's death
[close]

Was serious and a lot less enjoyable to me as the plot device got repetitive and the MC made some dumb choices. It did have it's good powerful moments though, I especially liked Faris & Suzuha's storks, so it was still solid.

Then the true end was long and very good and satisfying. So I liked the first half and the endgame, which was enough to make it a story that leaves a strong impression. I may check out the anime because it's one of the few stories I think could be improved by a tighter edit (VN was like 20ish hours, so anime would be half that), although the loss of the awesome in-game otaku dictionary is a big negative, even as a super Japan nerd myself there was a lot of stuff in there I didn't know so was educational and cool.

But yeah, that ending. I just didn't want it to end. I wanted it to keep going and going. But I'm glad it at least went as far as it did. Could've ended at the credits which would have been a lot less satisfying.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29656 on: July 20, 2017, 08:19:50 AM »
You could play Steins Gate 0, which takes place

After coming back from Failing to save Christina (where she still gets killed anyway the first time), instead of going back one more time, he stops there. I think it explains how the video message happens, and goes more into Daru's future waifu
[close]
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #29657 on: July 20, 2017, 02:03:45 PM »
You could play Steins Gate 0, which takes place

After coming back from Failing to save Christina (where she still gets killed anyway the first time), instead of going back one more time, he stops there. I think it explains how the video message happens, and goes more into Daru's future waifu
[close]

Yeah, I looked it up. When I said I didn't want it to end, I meant the

MC x Christina relationship, which was where 99% of the emotional investment in the endgame was.

While it makes canon sense in terms of where to tell a new story, playing a game from the B timeline of the 15 years of depressing MC, dead Christina and WW3 is a story have 0 interest in. I'd rather see a sequel about MC x Christina's romantic comedy slice of life adventures following the true end (half-joking)
[close]

I think the major thing was how well written the characters were. MC was extremely likeable with his eccentricity, Christina was fucking funny at putting him down constantly, Daru was hilarious, and the rest of the cast was fairly funny and played off each other well. It's why I liked the first half so much, the entire cast had fantastic chemistry and it was really entertaining watching them all interact thanks to the strong dialogue and character writing.

Someday I'd like to try playing Chaos;Head and Robotics;Notes if the writing/characters/dialogue is similar quality.

Anyhow, from my very limited experience with VNs, Steins;Gate is my second favorite VN after Time Travelers. 999 would probably be my 3rd favorite, but again I've only played like 5-10 VNs in my life.

Bebpo

« Reply #29658 on: July 20, 2017, 03:11:58 PM »
Also, Steins;Gate is the first time I've seen a tsundere trope that isn't lame & annoying. Normally that trope just creates jerk unlikeable characters and pathetic opposites. But here it works because the MC is sorta insane and the tsundere is the "normal" person reacting to their insanity and jokingly shutting them down all the time AND the MC doesn't pathetically get hurt by it but actually shoots back creating a battle of the wits that's charming.

And I wanna give some props to the main guy's VA. Dude carries the insanity really well and it goes a long way.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #29659 on: July 20, 2017, 04:21:17 PM »
Alien Resurrection for the PS. And early dual-analogue shooter that had some reviewers baffled. Quite atmospheric and looks pretty good for what it is, but performance is shit and the ship interirors look very samey, so it's easy to get lost. No map, either. Still fun though.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 05:03:51 PM by Rufus »

etiolate

« Reply #29660 on: July 20, 2017, 11:59:32 PM »
Gigantic hit Steam and wide release today.  I was in the Alpha but didn't keep up with it since it was in Alpha/Beta forever. Release feels solid so far. Grinding points so I can unlock Mozu.

Bulleta©™®

• is probably playing some game
« Reply #29661 on: July 21, 2017, 12:02:38 AM »

Missed one of my pulls. THE DAY OF 11/11.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 02:40:19 AM by Bulleta©™® »

Bebpo

« Reply #29662 on: July 21, 2017, 02:19:33 AM »
Watched ep1-6 of the Steins;Gate anime. Seems competent adaptation. Cuts a lot of the science out (boo) and the character designs take a derpy downgrade. One thing the anime reminds me of is how great the localization/translation of the VN is. One of the top translations I've seen. The anime loses a lot of the dialogue charm because the translation is much weaker. Still seems like a fine alternative and enjoying it but definitely prefer the VN so far. The anime moves really fast, if it wasn't the middle of the week I could see myself blowing through this in one or two sessions. Probably will do that for the remaining 20 eps over the weekend.

Also they made Daru a lot smaller  :'(

Another thing thinking about Steins;Gate that I really liked was:

How Mayuri the childhood friend wasn't sexualized and isn't even a romance subplot. Like it's nice that a childhood friend is just a childhood friend in anime. In general the VN does a good job not sexualizing most of the characters. Even Maid girl Faris is smart and cool and can keep up with the MC in dialogue and doesn't pander outside trolling. The only sorta sexualized character is Moeka and only a little although the sorta getting-close-to-rapey scene in her chapter was kinda uncomfortable to read.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 02:26:45 AM by Bebpo »

benjipwns

« Reply #29663 on: July 21, 2017, 02:41:33 AM »
Alien Resurrection for the PS. And early dual-analogue shooter that had some reviewers baffled. Quite atmospheric and looks pretty good for what it is, but performance is shit and the ship interirors look very samey, so it's easy to get lost. No map, either. Still fun though.
This is a game, like Disruptor, that I either hear is an underrated gem (people playing it in retrospect) or complete garbage (often mainstream reviews at the time). Funny enough, I think somebody like Game Informer gave it a 6 when it came out and then revisited it years down the line positively for its mood/controls/etc. with a comment bashing the press for missing the boat on it. :doge

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29664 on: July 21, 2017, 08:56:17 AM »
Platinum all Crash games.

I downloaded the free level and got the gem on it. Its not that difficult, people losing 30-40 lives on it...

Tried the time trial a few times but just wanted to move on to other games.

Horizon next
fat

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #29665 on: July 21, 2017, 09:38:09 AM »
This is a game, like Disruptor, that I either hear is an underrated gem (people playing it in retrospect) or complete garbage (often mainstream reviews at the time). Funny enough, I think somebody like Game Informer gave it a 6 when it came out and then revisited it years down the line positively for its mood/controls/etc. with a comment bashing the press for missing the boat on it. :doge
Heh. Wish I had played it back then, without any experience of modern FPS controls. This game was ahead of its time, but I'm not sure I would have appreciated it any more than reviewers.

I've only played two of ten levels so far, but it's been a frictionless experience outside of getting lost in level two. I simply didn't see a ladder and redundantly crawled through a vent maze thinking I had gotten turned around in there. Have I mentioned everything looks the same? I don't expect much more variety going forward. There are only so many ways to have aliens pop-out of monster closets and have you hit a switch or find a keycard to progress, but it has me interested enough to check.

Further observations:
+ There's a quickturn on R3.
+ Sticky ladders, which take too long to detach yourself from, but sometimes have helpful signs the the top so you don't step off to the wrong side.
+ No jump, hence no platforming. (Looking at you, Powerslave. :maf )
+ Xenomorphs often crawl on ceilings and bound off walls before they come at you. Impressive and unsettling, but also gives you time to line up a shot (i.e. backpedal and aim straight ahead, as they take up half the screen and will line up for you).
+ Supports the PS mouse, which I'm going to have to try, if possible. I suspect it will make the game very easy.
- The X and Y axes were inverted by default.
- Moving while crouched has an extreme sway to it. To indicate that you are, I suppose?
- Vibration is uncomfortably strong and very sustained, to the point where I had to turn it off. Not entirely sure it's the game or the emulator not mapping them correctly to a 360 controller. Can't find references to it online, so I don't know.
- Mid-level save points. They add tension, I suppose, but I just started save stating the moment I had to repeat half a level because a Xenomorph hidden around the corner shredded me.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #29666 on: July 21, 2017, 02:06:12 PM »
Older Alien games are often real fun imo. In addition to the classic Alien vs Predator I really liked Alien 3 for Mega Drive (longplay video) when I was a little baby. It is a sidescroller where you are running around extremely samey looking mazes trying to find men to rescue and shoot aliens when you encounter them, but you gotta conserve ammo. It was pretty scary and fun, even if it is just slightly less repetitive than pacman.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #29667 on: July 21, 2017, 03:33:41 PM »
The only one I've ever played before this was a demo of Alien Trilogy from a PS demo disk. Wonder how that holds up.

Bebpo

« Reply #29668 on: July 21, 2017, 07:48:50 PM »
Hey Demi, I'm in the VN mood now after Steins;Gate. Any other ones you recommend that I might not have played? I could go back to Zero Time Dilemma but not really feeling a desire there. Also haven't played Dangan Ronpa yet. Looking for a good story like Steins.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29669 on: July 21, 2017, 07:58:18 PM »
Uhhh I wouldnt be the guy to ask, Ive only really played Zero Escape, Danganronpa, Steins;Gate and the two freebie VNs (via PS+) on Vita:

Amnesia -- This one was too girly for me (ez plat though). You play as a girl who lost her memories and you have this fairy girl who's with you until you learn your memories. Theres a scenario where your boyfriend locks you in a dog cage.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/amnesia-memories/cid=UP0031-PCSE00647_00-AMNESIAMEMORIES1

Code:Realize -- This one wasn't that bad. Its about a girl who's skin is made of acid, so if you try to touch her you melt (incl. clothes, wood, doors, etc.). Has characters like Victor Frankenstein, Arsene Lupin, Van Helsing, etc. Eventually the story gets not as girly and has a bad guy and you have to defeat him to save the world etc. There's some cool action scenes. Steampunk setting.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/code-realize-guardian-of-rebirth/cid=UP1024-PCSE00763_00-CODEREALIZE00000
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #29670 on: July 21, 2017, 08:03:53 PM »
Theres a scenario where your boyfriend locks you in a dog cage.

Code:Realize -- This one wasn't that bad. Its about a girl who's skin is made of acid...

Is it just me or are VNs kinda weird as fuck  :dayum

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29671 on: July 21, 2017, 08:04:27 PM »
Girls are weird creatures
fat

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #29672 on: July 21, 2017, 08:20:39 PM »
Alright, Alien Resurrection is genuinely good for what it is. Ammo is limited, combat comes in small, frantic bursts, the motion tracker is useful and while the Xenomorph 'AI' as such isn't smart, they have just enough health to close the distance. Turns out they can also jump behind you. That quickturn is mandatory.

The one thing I find simply annoying are the facehuggers. Especially when you have to coax them out of their eggs first usng the infinite ammo pistol. They're not even that nimble, but they still facerape you due to how many they can throw at you at once. Gestation is about 90 seconds, but aborting the xeno-fetus using portable autodocs is easy and plays a little xray animation of it being detected then somehow dissolved. While neat, it's not something that lends itself to repetition. Building a level around this idea would have been more interesting.

Speaking of: level design is as predicted. Ambushes until you find an obstacle, search for switches/keycards, backtrack, get ambushed, progress, repeat. Dying in the middle of one such sequence can be really disorienting and only reinforces my save-scumming ways.

Also, first (dumb) boss fight. Giant queen aimlessly pacing around a room, lamely attacking you with acid spit and claws. Meh. Also meh: the flamethrower. Feels like a sprinkler. Makes 'em run, but doesn't kill fast. And they can still get swipes in. :<
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 08:53:10 PM by Rufus »

benjipwns

« Reply #29673 on: July 22, 2017, 02:23:34 AM »
I don't think Alien Trilogy would hold up, similar to the Jag Aliens v. Predator, that pseudo 3D where it's a really lot of fancy sprite work really always feels dogslow because you're not actually moving in 3D-space even compared to even slow polygonal FPSes on PS1 (though emulation fixes the latter)

only random thing i remember about Trilogy is that i think you play the films out of order? something like 2-3-1 or 2-1-3 maybe, and i never could find a reason why when i went looking once

it's not an aliens game exactly...well, i guess it sorta is, but one i liked was PO'ed, which other than some questionable texture decisions, has some fancy tech for being a 3DO port for the first year of the PS1 by i think like four people, when you get a jetpack you can actually move and the camera tilts appropriately...that one is sprite enemies with 3D polygon levels around them so it seemed fast for the time

here's those 3DO developers* playing it for like an hour and a half:

*the guy playing made this:
[close]

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #29674 on: July 22, 2017, 02:39:13 AM »

Code:Realize -- This one wasn't that bad. Its about a girl who's skin is made of acid...

https://vndb.org/r9307

Please read this. It's super short, but really fucked up.

Bebpo

« Reply #29675 on: July 22, 2017, 05:09:25 AM »
Watched another 6-7 eps of Steins;Gate through ep13. By about ep6/7 it's found its groove and feels like a very faithful and solid adaptation just with worse art. There's only been like 1 original scene added in the 13eps, and most of the scene cuts have just been jokes, science explanations or a few repetitive scenes. Feel pretty comfortable recommending this to my non-VN-reading friends as a way to check out the story.

Another thing that struck me watching the anime is I'm at a loss as to why Steins;Gate hasn't been remade into a US TV series yet? It's gotta be that it's just too underground and no one has stumbled upon it and at some point some writer/producer will and it'll happen. I mean you could almost do Steins;Gate as a stage play even, and as a TV show it'd only need a shoestring budget. It's a story with like 8 characters that takes place in like 2 rooms and a street for 95% of it; yet it's a highly gripping thriller. Seems like easy money if remade for the west. Probably would need to change the MC's eccentricities to be more western-ish, but otherwise no reason it couldn't play as is. Science is a little wacky but no more than most hollywood sci-fi.

https://vndb.org/r9307

Please read this. It's super short, but really fucked up.

Bookmarked for tomorrow.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #29676 on: July 22, 2017, 02:13:33 PM »
Alright, Alien Resurrection is genuinely good for what it is.
And just as a praise it, a completely shit level comes along. Endless combat, barely any resources. I had to wing it with the pistol for long stretches. This is where I would have stopped playing were it not for save-states. Even with, some spots were very tricky to get through without taking damage. :stahp

Also, performance is SO bad, even with CPU overclocking through the emulator. The framerate is completely unlocked, so it can drop from 60 as you look at a wall, to sub-20 as you pan around the room. Wasn't doing my weather induced headache any favours.

Finished now, had to use GameShark codes to do it, as I completely ran out of everything and taking down even one Xenomorph using the pistol is a gamble. Didn't want to start the level over, so fuck it: infinite health and pulse gun ammo. The difficulty simply increases much too dramatically. You get nowhere near enough resources to stay ahead, but you also can't run from anything. Never miss, never lose health, find all the stashes, memorize the ambushes. Bleh. I can only assume they did this to pad the play time, as it's not a very long game otherwise. I can't image doing this relying on save points alone. I struggled even with save states. Oh well.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 09:10:42 PM by Rufus »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29677 on: July 23, 2017, 11:01:45 PM »
Just about up to the final battle(s) of Trails the 3rd. After that I'll probably get back to Gravity Rush 2, which I stopped halfway through to play a host of other games.

Also bought Splatoon 2, I never played much of the first one. It's fun but it seems like it could get repetitive rather quickly. I don't like how there's only 2 boards you play on for every couple of hours or so, don't understand the logic in that one. The music is horrible. Game has a 90's nicktoons vibe, even the music reminds me of Rugrats.
^_^

Bulleta©™®

• is probably playing some game
« Reply #29678 on: July 24, 2017, 01:38:08 AM »
So it's a sequel to the first game, sounds like.

Bebpo

« Reply #29679 on: July 24, 2017, 02:37:28 AM »
Started playing Oxenfree and Jotun over the weekend for my indie dips. Jotun is cool for the north mythology, really nice art and fun boss battles but moving slow through the big stages is a bit annoying. I'm really enjoying Oxenfree. The direction is top notch and the music is very cool and adds a lot. Not sure about the gameplay yet, but the presentation has me hooked in a way I haven't been since Life is Strange.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #29680 on: July 24, 2017, 11:09:10 AM »
I started playing a game called Yonder which has a gimmick where there is no combat. Nothing can kill you and you don't kill anything. In a lot of ways it's similar to something like Stardew Valley without the dungeon crawling. It's got a full farming system, crafting, cooking, building, etc. You run around the world doing quests for people and explore the world for secrets.

It's super pretty. It's a very laid back kinda thing. 
nat

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #29681 on: July 27, 2017, 09:02:02 AM »
Alright, Alien Resurrection is genuinely good for what it is. Ammo is limited, combat comes in small, frantic bursts, the motion tracker is useful and while the Xenomorph 'AI' as such isn't smart, they have just enough health to close the distance. Turns out they can also jump behind you. That quickturn is mandatory.

The one thing I find simply annoying are the facehuggers. Especially when you have to coax them out of their eggs first usng the infinite ammo pistol. They're not even that nimble, but they still facerape you due to how many they can throw at you at once. Gestation is about 90 seconds, but aborting the xeno-fetus using portable autodocs is easy and plays a little xray animation of it being detected then somehow dissolved. While neat, it's not something that lends itself to repetition. Building a level around this idea would have been more interesting.

Speaking of: level design is as predicted. Ambushes until you find an obstacle, search for switches/keycards, backtrack, get ambushed, progress, repeat. Dying in the middle of one such sequence can be really disorienting and only reinforces my save-scumming ways.

Also, first (dumb) boss fight. Giant queen aimlessly pacing around a room, lamely attacking you with acid spit and claws. Meh. Also meh: the flamethrower. Feels like a sprinkler. Makes 'em run, but doesn't kill fast. And they can still get swipes in. :<

It's on my games-to-buy list for PS1. :hyper

No mention of that game is complete without laughing at Steven Garrett, video game reviewer extraordinaire!

The game's control setup is its most terrifying element. The left analog stick moves you forward, back, and strafes right and left, while the right analog stick turns you and can be used to look up and down. Too often, you'll turn to face a foe and find that your weapon is aimed at the floor or ceiling while the alien gleefully hacks away at your midsection. Add to the mix a few other head scratchers - such as how the triangle button controls item and health use - and you'll be wondering how Sony let this get by without requesting a few different control configuration options.

:mindblown

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29682 on: July 27, 2017, 11:58:49 AM »
Weren't there already plenty of games out that used analog sticks for movement and face buttons for aiming (or vice versa) around that time?  WTF?  :lol
ど助平

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #29683 on: July 27, 2017, 01:08:41 PM »
Looking at its contemporaries, I did notice that Time Splitters came out about two weeks after. :betty
http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/2000/action/shooter/1st-person/

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #29684 on: July 27, 2017, 01:54:24 PM »
Weren't there already plenty of games out that used analog sticks for movement and face buttons for aiming (or vice versa) around that time?  WTF?  :lol

I bet he was a nintard who just looooooved the N64's C-button and how great they worked in Mario 64

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #29685 on: July 27, 2017, 03:12:43 PM »
Looking at its contemporaries, I did notice that Time Splitters came out about two weeks after. :betty
http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/2000/action/shooter/1st-person/

©@©™

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29686 on: July 27, 2017, 08:45:41 PM »
Started playing Oxenfree and Jotun over the weekend for my indie dips. Jotun is cool for the north mythology, really nice art and fun boss battles but moving slow through the big stages is a bit annoying. I'm really enjoying Oxenfree. The direction is top notch and the music is very cool and adds a lot. Not sure about the gameplay yet, but the presentation has me hooked in a way I haven't been since Life is Strange.

That kinda reminds me of a slowed down version of Gigi D'Agostino "I'll Fly With You", a big dance track of the late 90's:

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 10:27:05 AM by tiesto »
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #29687 on: July 28, 2017, 04:42:01 AM »
I was thinking the other day that Resident Evil 7 really was one of the most enjoyable big budget games I've played this year and the best RE game since RE4 to me. Hope they stick with that style for at least another game. Was a nice refreshing surprise outside the terrible final boss fight.

Bebpo

« Reply #29688 on: July 30, 2017, 04:20:00 AM »
Been playing Bravely Default and just past the first crystal I'm really enjoying it. Boss fights are good shit, art direction is incredible and the localization for the English version is top-tier. I really like the dialogue thanks to the flavor they added. I've heard the 2nd half where you repeat the same stuff over and over sucks, but duckroll says it's the best part with awesome boss fights, so I guess I'll see at some point. Wasn't feeling the first hour or two of this game, was kinda boring until you got more jobs and the boss fights got challenging, but once that happened it's been great.

Somewhere between 1/3rd and halfway through Ys VIII PS4. It's good with nice combat and dungeons and great art/music. But it's like 50+ hours long I think and packed to the gill with forced filler that kills the pacing like a Trails in the Sky kinda slower game. It is what it is. If Cold Steel 3 isn't a return to form for Falcom in terms of pacing & padding, I think all their franchises are a lost cause in that department at this point. But I'm more accepting of a slow pace in the world building turn-based quest-focused Trails than in an action-rpg like Ys.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #29689 on: July 30, 2017, 04:52:51 AM »
Did you play any of the early Ys games? They're love. :heartbeat

Bebpo

« Reply #29690 on: July 30, 2017, 07:25:13 AM »
Sorta! I tried playing 1 a few times but never finished it. I like the look and music, but the whole running into enemies thing never clicked with me.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29691 on: July 30, 2017, 08:34:40 AM »
what the hell man play oath in Felghana
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #29692 on: July 30, 2017, 09:34:14 AM »
what the hell man play oath in Felghana

I did? I started at Oath/Origin/6 era. But the classics aka 1-5, I haven't really played outside some time with Ys1.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29693 on: July 30, 2017, 10:18:06 AM »
ahh ok my bad. i'd still say 1 and 2 are worth going thru, especially since they're so short. 1 is like a good intro to 2, which is imo one of the best arpgs from the late 80s/early 90s
pcp

archnemesis

« Reply #29694 on: July 30, 2017, 10:38:08 AM »
I prefer Ys 1 & 2 to the modern games (Seven, Memories of Celceta). They hold up incredibly well, although it takes some time to get used to the unusual combat system.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #29695 on: July 30, 2017, 10:40:22 AM »
Oath is my favorite, but Origin is great too. Like PT said, play I and II as well if you have time. They're short but fun!

Been considering playing Cave Story+ again. Or jump a little between games. It's been quite a while since I played a single-player game, and I've got a lot of good ones in my Steam library.

Bebpo

« Reply #29696 on: July 30, 2017, 04:55:05 PM »
Yeah, I'd like to play I&II at some point. I really like the art/music. Just gotta adjust to the combat.

Maybe after VIII.

Bebpo

« Reply #29697 on: August 01, 2017, 04:05:54 PM »
So after playing some Dragon Quest XI and having fun, I loaded DQVIIr back up to give it another shot and did the current arc I was at where all the people were turned to animals and animals to people. Playing DQVII again (I've been playing on & off for about 6 months and am only 10 hours in), I pretty much came to the realization that the reason I didn't really care about DQXI until I actually played it was that DQ9 -> not playing X -> DQ7r sequence pretty much killed DQ mainline completely for me. Playing XI makes me remember that I really liked 4-6 and 8 and they were great fun rpgs.

Playing VIIr...man, the early parts are just such a bore. I think I'm on the 4th island and they all play the same so far. 1 town -> 1 dungeon, very short story (I do like the town stories), backtracking, easy to get stuck/confused by not seeing a door/stairs or something on the side, and the combat 4 islands in is still

MC: attack or heal or def up spell
Magic girl: attack or fireball or explosion but tiny tiny MP pool, so basically just attack 95% of the time
Prince guy: attack or 0 cost flaming sword attack

and that's it. There's so few combat options that the battles all play out the exact same with mostly, attack, attack, and 0 cost flaming sword attack every turn. Add to that the dungeons are boring looking so far and the encounter rate in dungeons is insane in the 3ds version with a battle every 2-5 steps; the game is pretty tedious and soul destroying. Which basically for the last year killed my enjoyment of DQ and made my most recent memories of DQ that its boring and ugly.

Like I know 7 is just a "slow starter" and picks up eventually and like 30+ hours in there will actually be a job system, but I think I'm just gonna put the game down and never go back and just enjoy the other DQs (I still want to play 1-3 at some point, and X...idk, no more MMOs for me!).

9 wasn't great, but it wasn't that bad either. So it's really just 7 that soured me on the series. I played 4-6 & 8 so long ago I don't remember them too much anymore other than they were great.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29698 on: August 01, 2017, 06:26:05 PM »
Coworker brought in the 3DS DQ11, and I got to play for a bit with him translating. Was fucking awesome. Gameplay-wise it really feels like DQ7 3DS, though combat was a tad faster. Switching to 2D was awesome, and it felt like DQ6 all over again. I really hope both editions come to the US, though it'll probably be just the PS4 one because SE seems dead set against releasing 3DS games here without Nintendo's help.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #29699 on: August 01, 2017, 06:53:50 PM »
Weird. Playing them back to back yesterday I thought DQXI was like the furthest thing from DQVII, but that was the PS4 version. I wonder how different the 3ds version of XI is. I'll youtube some videos later.