Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3608614 times)

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #29160 on: February 13, 2017, 07:18:51 PM »
started up skyrim special edition on ps4. the game crashed during the opening, I can't hear half the dialog because npcs keep walking up to say ignorant shit, and while I was saving a town from a dragon a bear came up from behind and killed me.

it's so good to be back :rejoice
pcp

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29161 on: February 13, 2017, 07:52:01 PM »
Started Payday 2, which was a $5 download during a recent Sony sale. Visited safehouse, chose first no-skull mission, The Diamond Heist. Not sure what I was doing, but "suspicious behavior" of just being in an alley and looking at a door called down the entire SWAT team. My pistol is tiny and ineffective, and has a shit-small magazine. I can't tell where I'm hitting. Or failing to hit. After flailing around for 5 minutes, three more players joined my mission, ignoring me and the mission goal, killing police endlessly and preventing the mission from ending. Finally they showed up at the van to revive my level-one-ass from SWAT perforation. Mission ended.

Left lobby, went back to GTA V. Played a storyline heist. Had more fun.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #29162 on: February 13, 2017, 09:46:17 PM »
Reinstalled and modded and tried the STALKER franchise for like the 5 or 6th time since those games came out. I've always wanted to like those games as they seemed like something that would be up my alley. Finally realized much like Dark Souls that I simply don't like this franchise no matter how many times I try it.

Uninstalled.

So I reinstalled and remodded Stalker Shadow of Cherynobyl again. Fortunately its a fast process of modding that takes likes 20 minutes compared to the dozen hours it can take for a decent skyrim or elder scroll modded installation.

For the first time I can say I'm actually enjoying the game.
There were some mod options to make the combat a lot more normal for a first person shooter that I never bothered to adjust. It's still weird and is very headshot dependent but it doesn't feel as insanely frustrating as it was yesterday when I just rage quit the experience. I'm happy I might be able to enjoy and finally put some time into the game.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29163 on: February 13, 2017, 11:23:33 PM »
Got to the part in Last Guardian where
spoiler (click to show/hide)
you run into the other Trico, you get shoved off the edge and into a new area where you get stuck in a tree
[close]

Game is pretty neat so far, I like Ico and other puzzle platformers so this is fine by me.
^_^

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #29164 on: February 14, 2017, 05:38:39 AM »
I dunno Tiesto I have it at home and can't bother to play it now. I like feelsy games like Two Brothers but this feels meh from the start.

A friend suggested it's because I got it for free.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29165 on: February 14, 2017, 09:30:28 AM »
I got Gears 4 from gamefly - anyone want to play Insane Co-Op? This game is Cross-Play right? Even PC can play with me  :-[
fat

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #29166 on: February 15, 2017, 02:30:59 AM »
Phantasy Star IV for the first time. This is pretty good. I am surprised the macro function didn't catch on.
reckt

Shuri

« Reply #29167 on: February 16, 2017, 07:14:56 PM »
I'm playing For Honor right now.. I dont know how to feel about it. I clocked lots and lots of hours into Chilvary and the Deadliest Warriors mode, and the combat feels so clunky in For Honor..

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29168 on: February 18, 2017, 11:10:02 AM »
Finished all the main story routes in Fate/Extella.  So.  Much.  Dialogue.  I guess this really should be classed as a Visual Novel/Musou hybrid game.

The last level got me a bit hyped, only to end up as a let down- Saber (Nero) gets all powered-up and you get to fight some new enemies (which end up just being some tentacle-things that just kind of stand there), then go into an alien spaceship and it's like a bonus level from Sonic 2 or something for a bit, then you just whack away at this sphere thing that does nothing, then it spits you out, and then rinse and repeat one more time only with some more enemies and the game play is over...followed by like another 20 minutes of VN.  :dizzy  Anyway, it was fun overall.  Finishing the game also unlocks very hard mode.  Games like this are best enjoyed with the difficulty up so I kind of wish this was available from the start.

I still have to do the side character stories now.  These are shorter and are more gameplay-focused, but maybe I should take a break for a while.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #29169 on: February 19, 2017, 01:46:09 AM »
Finishing up all the sidequests in Watchdogs 2 before doing the final couple of main story missions and I love the writing in this game so much.  Like I need to find out who wrote this so I can play whatever they write in the future.  This is easily the best dialogue in a game in forever imo.  It's also the perfect "80's kid" game.  So many great references/nods.  Also some really genius social commentary, crazy shit.

Like I was doing a side mission:
Just one of the uber driver missions.  Go pick up someone, drop them off, get rated on your speed.  So I pick up this guy whose depressed and it turns out through the conversation that he's a taxi driver and he's all upset about how uber is killing the taxi business and he's going to be out of a job.  And then you drop him at the point where he requests and he gets out of the car and leaves and you're waiting for the score to pop up and then a second later ALL THESE PEOPLE SHOW UP AND START SHOOTING AT YOU and you realize it was a setup and he had you drive into a spot where they'd kill you and the mission changes to "ESCAPE" and then you get out and it's like holy shit, I bet that's based off a real event where people have tried to kill uber drivers, possibly even because of the rage of uber killing the taxi business" :\
[close]

And then I did an uber mission where you pick up a guy and he's like "It's FRIDAAAAAAAY" and Marcus is like "Hahaa, yeah!  Friday, the black movie white people like!" :rofl game is so self-aware it's fantastic.

Also I did the sidequests that were the typical Ubisoft towers and 1) I'm glad they made them a total optional small sidequest in the game, and 2) Some of the tower climbs were pretty damn good.  Nice puzzles figuring out how to get to the top for the billboards.

archie4208

« Reply #29170 on: February 19, 2017, 12:03:54 PM »
How many times did it take you to beat Ludwig?

Bebpo

« Reply #29171 on: February 19, 2017, 12:27:58 PM »
Congrats Borys.  How'd you like the DLC?

Bebpo

« Reply #29172 on: February 19, 2017, 12:49:22 PM »
Hopefully next From Development game announcement.

Yeah Ludwig and Kos were rough.  Kos is a straight up Devil May Cry/Ninja Gaiden boss.  Maria too but she's a lot weaker.  Ludwig's main challenge is his size so he hits wide radius.  But it's such a cool fight that's ok.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29173 on: February 19, 2017, 01:47:35 PM »
Finished Gears 4 - insane solo. Trash game, and only got like 280 achievement points. Another ruined series
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #29174 on: February 20, 2017, 03:40:05 AM »
Finished Watchdogs 2 - fantastic.  This feels like the first time I played AC2, it's the kind of really great game/story that Ubisoft's been trying to get right but hasn't for a decade and most sandbox games in general struggle to do (outside of GTAV which is pretty great too in a different style).  Never used a single gun outside fucking around here and there.  Game works great as a stealth/hacking game and the city is sooooooooooooo good.  I really think this recreation of SF/Oakland is the best real world city sandbox ever.  It feels even more alive than GTAV's LA and it's super spot on in accuracy.  I could basically retrace every walk I took and everything I saw the last time I went to SF 2-3 years ago.  Also all the conservations, both texts and audio along with all the unique animations (I saw two little corgis playing in a park!) really sells it.  Some of the text/audio you pick up from people walking around is pretty funny too.

Marcus and crew were awesome.  It's too bad W1 sucked so W2's sales initally took a huge hit though it's having good legs thanks to word of mouth.  In a perfect world W3 would be a direct continuation of W2 with the same main cast like the multiple Ezio games.  Just like going from Ezio was rough in AC, going from Marcus just isn't going to work.  Like John Martson, or MGS3's Big Boss, He's an A+ protagonist and there aren't a ton of them in games.

Highly recommend it!  2016 was crazy in quality with Hitman, W2, Doom and (import) Persona 5.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29175 on: February 20, 2017, 11:35:27 AM »
Aww you didnt wait to play dlc for ng+? Thats what I did and shit was insane.

Maria is my fav boss tho, best song too in all bb
What

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29176 on: February 21, 2017, 02:40:54 PM »
Beat Lagrange Point, about to beat Last Guardian (in the final tower), and started Gravity Rush 2.

Don't like Gravity Rush 2 as much as the first game, the missions drag on a lot and some feel like there's only one specific way to do it. City layout is also annoying - lots of floating islands big distances from each other. The first game felt more compact and less filler.
^_^

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #29177 on: February 21, 2017, 09:44:57 PM »
Beat Lagrange Point

How is that game?

Bebpo

« Reply #29178 on: February 21, 2017, 09:53:55 PM »
Don't like Gravity Rush 2 as much as the first game, the missions drag on a lot and some feel like there's only one specific way to do it. City layout is also annoying - lots of floating islands big distances from each other. The first game felt more compact and less filler.

I heard the sidequests are all terrible and it's a much better game if you just run the main story.
Playing Gravity Rush 1 the sidequests are all terrible, so I am not surprised.

« Reply #29179 on: February 21, 2017, 10:02:46 PM »
I actually like the sidequests in GR2, but the issue with them is that they don't feel "side" in the sense that most of them can run just as long as the main quests, so they can feel like you aren't making any progress. It hasn't been an issue for me cause I'm playing the game on a slow burn, but I can see how it can get grating if you're just marathoning through it.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29180 on: February 21, 2017, 10:05:57 PM »
Beat Lagrange Point

How is that game?

Great aesthetics (it's extremely inspired by Phantasy Star 2), good monster designs, AMAZING music, an innovative (for the time) weapon fusion system but it's really grindy with an extremely steep encounter rate and there's not too much of a story... the second half of the game becomes pretty open-ended and it's hard to figure out where to go. It depends on your tolerance for really grindy old RPGs, really.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #29181 on: February 21, 2017, 10:07:05 PM »
The first sidequest I did in GR1 was the maid one.  Go get me chocolates and ice cream around town!  Oh and take the trash out to the dumpster area!  Oh and everything is on as strict timer.  Ok, fine here is your maid outfit >.>

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #29182 on: February 21, 2017, 10:09:43 PM »
Beat Lagrange Point

How is that game?

Great aesthetics (it's extremely inspired by Phantasy Star 2), good monster designs, AMAZING music, an innovative (for the time) weapon fusion system but it's really grindy with an extremely steep encounter rate and there's not too much of a story... the second half of the game becomes pretty open-ended and it's hard to figure out where to go. It depends on your tolerance for really grindy old RPGs, really.

Sounds cool and thanks for your opinions. I'll probably throw the translated rom on my NES Classic.

Bebpo

« Reply #29183 on: February 22, 2017, 01:43:08 AM »
Beat Undertale, some of these bosses were a pain in the butt.  I did a pacifist run but I started too late since I didn't realize how the game worked until the end of the first dungeon so I killed the enemies in the first dungeon and got to level 6.  But I couldn't get the pacifist bonuses and just had to deal with some hard bosses.  Spider-person was the first tough one, mettaton the next, asgore wasn't too bad, flowey was #%%#$ with that ninja star bullet pattern (is the creator a hardcore CAVE fan or something jeez).  Beat the boss again but ending wasn't any different.  Will read up on the other endings.

Pretty good game.  I really liked a lot of the scenes, felt very Earthbound-ish but genuine and not just a clone.  The combat system was great if you like shmups.  Lots of good humor, good characters.  Music was excellent.  Kinda short, but glad it doesn't overstay it's welcome.  Glad I finally played it.

Bebpo

« Reply #29184 on: February 22, 2017, 04:17:43 AM »
Ok, just finished watching the True Pacifist ending on YouTube.  That was really good.  But yeah, the true final boss, fuck, I'm glad I didn't play that.  I think for the type of happy friendly mother-esque game Undertale is, the insane Cave/Touhou level of shmup skill requirements feels out of place, especially for an rpg.  Something more casual friendly like Jamestown with optional higher difficulty levels might have been better.  I guess I don't think the game needed to be hardcore since it's main appeal is the story.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #29185 on: February 22, 2017, 05:49:21 AM »
I wanna play Oxygen Not Included but it's Windows only   :fbm

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29186 on: February 22, 2017, 07:10:14 AM »
The first sidequest I did in GR1 was the maid one.  Go get me chocolates and ice cream around town!  Oh and take the trash out to the dumpster area!  Oh and everything is on as strict timer.  Ok, fine here is your maid outfit >.>

At least it looks awesome in GR2!
What

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #29187 on: February 25, 2017, 05:54:17 PM »
Decided to say fuck it, and install windows 10 with Boot Camp.

ONI runs fine. It's pretty good. Super early pre-alpha whatever, but there's a really good foundation. As expected from Klei, the first playthrough are going to be a mess, till you figure out efficient ways to survive.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29188 on: February 26, 2017, 07:36:15 PM »
Started WATCH_DOGS 2, will post impressions in the main thread.

Having a lull in Headlander right now. Want to go back to it before I forget the controls.

Played several hours of Ghost Recon: Wildlands open beta over the weekend. Pretty sure this is my next new game purchase. I haven't played any previous Ghost Recon games, I assume this is a big deviation for the series. It's a third-person perspective, open-world game with a minimal storyline but interesting framing for the "go here, kill this person" or "activate this item." There are several factions, one of which is interested in helping you, and can be called on for mortar strikes, etc. It has drop-in/drop-out online co-op for up to four-person fire teams.

tl;dr - this is the Mercenaries sequel we need, and maybe even the one we deserve.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29189 on: February 27, 2017, 10:46:43 AM »
I made it to
Hekseville
[close]
in GR2

Definitely liking the game better even though the first city (Jian Para Lhao or whatever it's called) is pretty poorly designed - too much dead space between islands and a bit too large for its own good. I've assigned myself to the fact that sidequests are almost as long as main missions. The biggest problem is that since the geometry is much more complicated than the original, it's really easy to get stuck on geometry if you gravity shift into the wrong spot. Up to chapter 18 in the main story with about half of the sidequests done. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm gonna finish this before the Switch hits so I'll probably have to put it on hold to play through Zeruda (then Nier, then Persona... so many games!)
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #29190 on: February 28, 2017, 12:13:28 AM »
Think I'm gonna try to finish up Life is Strange ep4 tonight.  Shit hit the fan towards the end and I gotta imagine I'm at the final segment of the episode.  Game is pretty compelling now.

Bebpo

« Reply #29191 on: February 28, 2017, 03:39:07 AM »
Well ep4 ending with a bang and so played straight through ep5 to the end of Life is Strange.  Ep5 was alright, but kinda a step down with lots of long monologues and a dream sequence that's all over the place and lasts like an hour before the final scene.  Didn't feel like it flowed all that great and the ending choice was bs.

Overall I liked it and even with all the flaws I'd still put it up with Walking Dead S1 as the best new-age cinematic style adventure game.  It was kinda of slow for the first couple of eps, but got better at 3 and 4 was great and then 5 was ok.  The art, music and dialogue were all really good.  Felt like a neat tv series and while all of the characters outside of Max and Chloe were just kinda one-note videogame characters, the main two were really well developed.  Wasn't a huge fan of Chloe, but Max was a great lead. 

Still not really sure how a game like this got funded by Square Enix, but glad it did.  Will be interesting to see how their next game is, though I'm not looking forward to it as much given the setting since I thought the best parts of Life is Strange was the real world modern youth dialogue and real world Oregon location and their new game Vampyr is like...gothic vampire action adventure?  Weird.  Then again I guess they did Remember Me, which I didn't play, so their new Vampire game looks more like another Remember Me type game rather than another Life is Strange type game, but does anyone really want that?

Bebpo

« Reply #29192 on: February 28, 2017, 10:41:44 PM »
Was thinking about the ending of Life is Strange which is kind of bullshit, and online the editorials I've read on it seem to agree.  But I was thinking this is one of those games where if you just re-write the plot slightly, it could be a deeper, more interesting story.  I was thinking one way it would almost make sense is:

If when Chloe dies at the start of ep1, Max can't cope with it and creates a fantasy world where Chloe is still alive in her head and the tornado is reality that she can't put off forever coming and destroying the fantasy and bringing her back to reality where Chloe is dead. 

But that interpretation doesn't work because the serial killer subplot of the teacher and how she "knows" he's a serial killer because of her time traveling so in the "kill chloe" ending she unmasks the teacher using her knowledge of the future :|

Fwiw I wasn't a big fan of Chloe but I still chose the kill everyone in Arcadia Bay ending.

One thing that was really annoying in Ep5 plot-hole writing is how texting David at the start of class creates a HAPPY ENDING where the teacher gets busted right away, but then she resets again and doesn't enter a photo and somehow that still leads to the original timeline of her getting kidnapped and everyone dead?  Wouldn't she have texted David in that timeline and get the teacher busted and had the ultimate happy ending?  Eh, time travel plot holes ><
[close]

I did enjoy my time in Arcadia Bay though and will think nostalgically about it in the years to come.  Good art & music picks helps a lot.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29193 on: February 28, 2017, 11:32:56 PM »
Well ep4 ending with a bang and so played straight through ep5 to the end of Life is Strange.  Ep5 was alright, but kinda a step down with lots of long monologues and a dream sequence that's all over the place and lasts like an hour before the final scene.  Didn't feel like it flowed all that great and the ending choice was bs.

Overall I liked it and even with all the flaws I'd still put it up with Walking Dead S1 as the best new-age cinematic style adventure game.  It was kinda of slow for the first couple of eps, but got better at 3 and 4 was great and then 5 was ok.  The art, music and dialogue were all really good.  Felt like a neat tv series and while all of the characters outside of Max and Chloe were just kinda one-note videogame characters, the main two were really well developed.  Wasn't a huge fan of Chloe, but Max was a great lead. 

Still not really sure how a game like this got funded by Square Enix, but glad it did.  Will be interesting to see how their next game is, though I'm not looking forward to it as much given the setting since I thought the best parts of Life is Strange was the real world modern youth dialogue and real world Oregon location and their new game Vampyr is like...gothic vampire action adventure?  Weird.  Then again I guess they did Remember Me, which I didn't play, so their new Vampire game looks more like another Remember Me type game rather than another Life is Strange type game, but does anyone really want that?

Remember Me was pretty; more than anything else, it was a gorgeous game. I was surprised at the improved writing in Life is Strange, and the more-coherent UI. It was likely improved by it being a minute-to-minute adventure game rather than a derivative action game. LIS gets the visuals pretty well, but I imagine a team that put out something that pretty one time will want to reprioritize something with high graphic fidelity not found in LIS.

Bebpo

« Reply #29194 on: March 02, 2017, 12:50:03 AM »
Yeah, makes sense they'd wanna do bigger and better things, but at the same time why not stick to what you're good at, at least for a little while and do another adventure game first.

Anyhow, what I've been up to in my gaming time lately:

Nier Automata - Holy fuck this is great.  Feels super Nier, but the combat is very platinum.  Tons of weapons, attack variety, NPCs mumble oddball shit like Nier, main story is very compelling, incredible music, tons of useless quests like Nier if you wanna do, weapon stories are still there and all, cutscenes are great.  Translation is A++.  I'm playing JP voice, English text and they match up perfect with excellent editing and translation on the subs, coming from the worst dubtitle english ever in FFXIV this is very refreshing!  I'm still early on because the game is so good and big with its open areas that it's the kind of game that is made for sinking tons of time into at once and marathoning, and while I'm playing FFXIV that's not gonna happen, so might put this on the backburner until a month or so from now and then marathon through.  But it definitely could end up being GoTY from the first few hours.  Also, glad it sold well in Japan.  As long as it doesn't bomb internationally SE should be giving Taro & Platinum more $$$ for more projects in the future and that's excellent news.  Platinum realizes Taro's gameplay way more than Cavia.  Now the gameplay is actually fun!

Super Robot Wars V - Great SRW.  And hey it's available in 100% English right now off the Singapore PSN store (ENGLISH VERSION).  After Z3 being awful and unfun, V feels like it's making up for the last decade of mediocre SRW games by just making it really fast and fun.  Almost no padding thanks to only being 1 game (as opposed to part 1 & part 2), animations are fast and load fast, all the new animations are great!  Crossbone Gundam is crazy good looking.  All the Z3 units are just sprite rips and dumped in for better or worse so they're still stiff, but the story doesn't focus on them and they're just there for fun and more playable units.  The story is basically YAMATO 2199 THE GAME.  It's the background core plot and every mission is basically one 1 episode of the show.  The visual novel parts are done really well and Yamato is a beast of a unit Ideon style.  Gonna be the best unit in the game for sure and the core of my team.  SRW V from the 10 or so missions I've played feels like a great jumping in/starting point for licensed anime Super Robot Wars which problem has to do with it being the first version in English.  They've revamped the gameplay systems to make it more fun with instant boost dash or multiple turns or criticals using EV points you gain from kills like G Generations.  Also the skill system is AWESOMELY BROKEN.  You buy your pilot skills with team tactics points and then assign them to whoever.  So like I bought Hit & Away really early on and just gave it to Captain Okita of the Yamato, which basically made the Yamato even more unstoppable (I had 4 battleships take shots at it one turn with no armor upgrades and it didn't even take 1 damage on hard mode lol).  Now you don't have to individually grind PP with units to get the skills you want, you just buy them and stick them on the units you want.  Game is the easiest SRW I've played since maybe W, but it's easy in a really fun way of just blowing through being badass and having a good time and I am A-OK with that.  If I want challenge I can get them from OGs.

FFXIV - I'm a chunk into the first and only currently available expansion Heavensward (next expansion comes out in June).  It's great!  Good looking areas, amazing music, good characters and a solid plot.  Plus flying and all that.  Lotta stuff to look forward to, so still playing this regularly.  Will definitely finish it before Stormblood comes out in June.

Resident Evil 7 - Haven't touched it in a week or so, need to get back to it since I do like it.  Now that I finished Life is Strange, this will be the next "short" game I probably clear.

Gravity Rush 1 - same as above.

Also got Horizon the other day.  Haven't popped it in yet.  Will pop it in just to check out the graphics, play an hour, but then it's going in the backlog with Nioh until I finish some of these long games.  Will do the same with Zelda next week.  But luckily there's nothing coming out I'm interested in after that until Ys8 PS4 on May 25th, so I've got a couple of months to finish the above stuff I'm playing.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 12:54:51 AM by Bebpo »

Fifstar

« Reply #29195 on: March 02, 2017, 04:47:17 PM »
Playing Steamworld Dig. Great little game.
Gulp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29196 on: March 04, 2017, 06:35:54 PM »
I'm glad the beginning of resident evil 7 takes place in the same map as the demo, because the familiarity is taking some of the edge off and keeping me from peeing on my couch
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29197 on: March 04, 2017, 09:09:34 PM »
taking a break from re7 with the ps4 version of final fantasy 7. man, this game is still fun as hell. just fantastic variety in scenarios and gameplay. up to don corneo's mansion and there hasn't been a single slow moment at all. just so much fun. also the pc port that this is based on cleaned up the dialog a lot better than I remember. some of the npcs still speak gibberish, but the main script is pretty good.
pcp

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29198 on: March 04, 2017, 09:16:22 PM »
BOTW - I don't even feel like I've scratched the surface. I think I died more in the first few hours of playing than every single other 3D Zelda combined.

There's a lot of stuff I'm not into but I'll stick with it... seems they heeded all the complaints about Skyward Sword being too hand-holdy and easy and made a game far too open ended and punishing. Some stuff is ridiculous, like too realistic - like I died a few times by getting struck by lightning, didn't realize it was because I had a metal weapon equipped.
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29199 on: March 04, 2017, 11:08:07 PM »
How is that punishing? Learn from it.
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #29200 on: March 04, 2017, 11:14:00 PM »
BOTW - I don't even feel like I've scratched the surface. I think I died more in the first few hours of playing than every single other 3D Zelda combined.

There's a lot of stuff I'm not into but I'll stick with it... seems they heeded all the complaints about Skyward Sword being too hand-holdy and easy and made a game far too open ended and punishing. Some stuff is ridiculous, like too realistic - like I died a few times by getting struck by lightning, didn't realize it was because I had a metal weapon equipped.

Ok that last bit is hilarious.  I love the realism.

tuna_love

« Reply #29201 on: March 05, 2017, 05:03:43 PM »
ive been playing Zelda and having a pretty good time. then i found a shrine that made me play motion controlled putt putt.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29202 on: March 05, 2017, 07:58:11 PM »
Having a Switch was supposed to mean my kid had a separate screen and I could reclaim my living room TV. Instead, it means I moved my 360 up to my room and am playing Dead Space on a 20" TV. On the bright side, I'm going through my backlog.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29203 on: March 06, 2017, 11:17:59 AM »
Finished The Last Guardian last night in a single sitting. Absolutely terrible game. Holy motherfucking christ, why did this get released
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29204 on: March 07, 2017, 02:54:00 PM »
Now play the best ps4 game

Horizon zero dawn
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29205 on: March 07, 2017, 03:51:57 PM »
P5 isnt out until April
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29206 on: March 07, 2017, 03:55:01 PM »
Trust me Demi, HZD is the best new Sony IP since TLOU. A must play if you own a ps4
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29207 on: March 07, 2017, 04:05:17 PM »
Sounds pretty shill, I bet you loved Last Guardian too
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29208 on: March 07, 2017, 05:21:46 PM »
Nah dawg i didnt even play that i dont have time for mediocre games

I didnt think GG had it in them after KZ shadowfall ( garbage)

Im super surprised this game is as good as it is, but it really is above any other open world games period. Im pretty sure this is what they call, a killer app
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29209 on: March 07, 2017, 05:27:48 PM »
If you dont trust me :'(

Then at least trust John Carpenter

What

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29210 on: March 07, 2017, 09:27:24 PM »
can i get a detailed answer about what makes horizon so good? i was interested in it initially but everything I've seen recently makes it look like nothing but an ubiclone with nice graphics.
pcp

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #29211 on: March 07, 2017, 09:32:14 PM »
robot dinosaurs are actually fun to shoot

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29212 on: March 07, 2017, 09:41:45 PM »
ok but people are saying it's one of the best games they ever played and I'm like wat
pcp

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29213 on: March 07, 2017, 11:05:20 PM »
Played a bit of Nier Automata and I like this much better than Zelda so far. Because it's nice to have an actual soundtrack and not just some random hitting on a xylophone, and it's nice to have weapons that don't break every 2 seconds. I'm gonna focus on this one I think and then pick up Zelda after I'm done... this already seems too good. Love the shmup sections reminiscent of Ikaruga.
^_^

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29214 on: March 07, 2017, 11:19:42 PM »
can i get a detailed answer about what makes horizon so good? i was interested in it initially but everything I've seen recently makes it look like nothing but an ubiclone with nice graphics.

Story
Atmosphere
Gameplay
Fun and interesting combat
Robot dinos are fucking amazing
The graphics are off the charts, steady 30fps 1080 on base ps4 too.
The world is a joy to explore
Traversal is fun
Diverse strategy against machines

Game reminds me of RDR, without the bugs but all the polish. The story is excellent scifi. It actually makes you give a shit about the characters and the story.

It even outshines TW3 for me personally, because the setting is much more unique. Everything is polished to the nth degree, except lip sync in some parts. The quests are all well done too, no wonder sincd they had peeps from CDPR and Obsidian help with that stuff.
What

Coax

« Reply #29215 on: March 07, 2017, 11:37:11 PM »
ok but people are saying it's one of the best games they ever played and I'm like wat

This is pretty much where I'm at. Despite the high praise nothing about it grabs me, and that Brom scene re-enforced the impression of it seeming all facade and no depth. It's strange as usually it's easy to recognize why some game is considered goty/goat material as I can appreciate it on some level without necessarily having played it (recently for ex, Nioh, or even the hyped excitement over BoTW) and yet even having watched and read Jim Sterling's fawning reviews of it the game still frankly seems like some Far Cry Primal 2 in the future.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29216 on: March 08, 2017, 07:19:59 AM »
Except Far Cry Primal was boring as fuck to play, the story was shit, the excecution of almost everything was mediocre.

Also the game gets wayyyy better the longer it goes on, story wise and gameplay wise. But oh well. Comparing this to any Ubisoft title is a serious detriment to this game.
What

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #29217 on: March 08, 2017, 08:32:31 AM »
No games matter until I beat Zelda. I purposefully avoided Horizon Zero Dawn and Nier so I wouldn't be distracted from Breath of the Wild. What an incredible game.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29218 on: March 08, 2017, 09:07:53 AM »
My Destiny co-op buddy and I decided to fire up Gears of War because I never finished it singleplayer. He's a huge GoW fan, and was happy to reconnect his 360 so we could play. NO EXAGERRATION: 90 minutes of updates combined with account login/password/recovery before we were actually playing. Once in, we were both pretty surprised at how good the game generally looks, but the framerate, screen tearing, and texture loading are really noticeable now. Not only that, but so much camera logic has clearly improved substantially in the 11 years since its launch are substantial.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29219 on: March 08, 2017, 09:55:57 AM »
Started playing Nier and I'm having much more fun with this than Zelda. I mean I like the puzzles and exploration in Zelda but it's nice to have a game where the weapons don't break every second and the music is better than random hitting on a xylophone. Gonna play through Nier first then go back to Zelda. I mean it starts with an Ikaruga reference for chrissakes!
^_^