Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3607456 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #31620 on: August 02, 2018, 12:06:00 PM »
More Halo 5

Environments have gotten interesting. Planets with vegetation and cave formations and such. Up to mission 7 how.
I got curious to see how far I was in the game and it turns out it has 15 missions in total.
So I should be about halfway there and I'm not at all disappointed.
🤴

Freyj

« Reply #31621 on: August 02, 2018, 06:01:06 PM »
There are some intended and unintended shortcuts in the White Palace that will make you facepalm if you finish it before looking them up.

I know it's a DLC thing or whatever but I think the White Palace is indicative of my main complaint about Hollow Knight: it really seems like the devs wanted to make a different genre of game at times.

agrajag

« Reply #31622 on: August 02, 2018, 06:35:21 PM »
There are some intended and unintended shortcuts in the White Palace that will make you facepalm if you finish it before looking them up.

I know it's a DLC thing or whatever but I think the White Palace is indicative of my main complaint about Hollow Knight: it really seems like the devs wanted to make a different genre of game at times.

It feels like I'm playing Kaizo Mario

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31623 on: August 02, 2018, 07:22:36 PM »
Welp,
That's enough for me to write off Hollow knight. No thanks.
que

agrajag

« Reply #31624 on: August 02, 2018, 08:40:52 PM »
The god damn buzzsaw section  in the White Palace is gonna make me rage quit  :maf

I wouldn't mind it so much if there were a few more benches between sections but fucking up and having to start over really kills motivation quick.

the lack benches aren't a problem if you have the right charms (hiveblood gives you infinite health), but I don't understand why they made it so punishingly hard.

Anyway, I just made it through the long-ass section with the saws. It definitely requires a lot of patience.

agrajag

« Reply #31625 on: August 02, 2018, 08:48:22 PM »
I didn't know that about hiveblood. Guess I'm jumping back in

Yeah, you have to beat the Hive DLC, which isn't too bad, and pretty fun. It kind of reminds me of the beehive levels in DKC2, I love the bee aesthetic.

But the hiveblood charm basically auto-regenerates one mask, and since the saws only deal one mask of damage, you can let it recharge every time you die.

agrajag

« Reply #31626 on: August 02, 2018, 10:30:56 PM »
Damn, you're quick. I think I am almost through the white palace, but I am playing with a busted controller, which isn't helping.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #31627 on: August 02, 2018, 10:39:11 PM »
i've seen the light, breath of wild is legit

agrajag

« Reply #31628 on: August 02, 2018, 10:52:57 PM »
My left joycon analog stick will randomly drift to the left. Which can lead me to my death when trying to time jumps and shit if I am not careful.

agrajag

« Reply #31629 on: August 02, 2018, 11:12:15 PM »
What do you mean, they free float like the 5200 joysticks? If so, that is definitely not normal.

agrajag

« Reply #31630 on: August 02, 2018, 11:18:20 PM »
Oh gotcha. It definitely sounds like they loosened from use. It seems like Nontendo made a bunch of "fit and finish" errors with the Switch.

agrajag

« Reply #31631 on: August 02, 2018, 11:44:11 PM »
Yay, finally got through the fucking White Palace. Never want to do this shit again.

bluemax

« Reply #31632 on: August 03, 2018, 12:07:14 AM »
Tried some Doom VFR on PSVR last night and felt ill before the end of the tutorial level. While I don't get to play the gameplay part of the game I'm working on a lot, I don't think it has ever made me feel nauseous like Doom did.

The Last Guardian VR short demo thing was cool though.

Kinda cool/best is how I felt about almost everything on PSVR that I tried.

A lot of it is legitimately very neat... but also shallow.

I think more legitimitate projects are coming for PSVR this year. The next 6 months of PSVR software sales feel like they're going to be really important to Sony's future commitments of the platform. No insider info there, just my own gut feeling.
NO

agrajag

« Reply #31633 on: August 03, 2018, 12:32:27 AM »
I don't find that kind of platforming enjoyable, I like kinetic levels that you can run and bounce off things really fast, not calibrate shadowdashes within a millimeter or insta-die.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31634 on: August 03, 2018, 08:40:02 AM »
Playing Paper Mario Color Splash. The only reason to play this thing is to read Mario characters make awful (amazing) dad jokes.

The gameplay itself is crap.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31635 on: August 03, 2018, 10:01:43 AM »
More Nier.

More awesome bizarreness. Latest highlight was a robot death cult.  :doge
🤴

agrajag

« Reply #31636 on: August 03, 2018, 04:45:27 PM »
Yay, finally got through the fucking White Palace. Never want to do this shit again.

Did you go the easy route or the hard route....???

Easy route is doable after some hours, hard route is fucking impossible.

I didn't know there were different routes. I try to avoid using guides, so I miss a bunch of stuff. But if it turns out I took the "easy" route I'm going to kill myself

Beat Grimm 3rd try. Not tough when you get his patterns down but goddamn was he fun. Dunno if I'll fight Nightmare King Grimm just yet.

I need to get started on that

ILikePizza

« Reply #31637 on: August 03, 2018, 06:42:13 PM »
Dunno if I'll fight Nightmare King Grimm just yet.

Prepare for an ass whoopin.  I couldn't find the right combination of abilities to beat this dude.  He's the only boss I said, "fuck it" and moved on from.  I need to try him again.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #31638 on: August 04, 2018, 12:50:05 AM »
Hooked up the PS2 via component. Playing Silent Hill 3 (never played it before). Holy goddamn what a game. Slow burn. No audio logs. Few words. Figure it out yourself. They don't make games like this anymore. (If they do let me know)

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #31639 on: August 04, 2018, 08:29:16 AM »
they do not :(

I've come to accept that we'll never see anything like SH 1-3 gain, but damn it still kind of hurts
pcp

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31640 on: August 04, 2018, 08:57:11 AM »
I have never really played a Silent Hill game

:snoop
What

paprikastaude

« Reply #31641 on: August 04, 2018, 09:31:11 AM »
Hooked up the PS2 via component. Playing Silent Hill 3 (never played it before). Holy goddamn what a game. Slow burn. No audio logs. Few words. Figure it out yourself. They don't make games like this anymore. (If they do let me know)

Bloodborne? :idont They rereleased SMT Strange Journey recently, which is pretty hardcore, but I think they casual'ed it up in the remaster (also animu'd it up). When it comes to specific atmosphere, I can't think of anything that was like (or as scary as) og Silent Hill ever - in any medium. Though Killer7 is gonna be rereleased soon, it has similar vibes imo (except the being scary part).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 10:26:42 AM by Spieler1 »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31642 on: August 04, 2018, 10:45:25 AM »
Maybe my tastes or standards have changed but I continue to like the HALO 5 campaign a lot.
Just shooting some covenant and those other dudes, driving vehicles and blowing shit up with a not too complicated story to keep things moving forward.
🤴

Freyj

« Reply #31643 on: August 04, 2018, 01:45:54 PM »
Anyone play Iconoclasts? If I hadn’t already preordered Dead Cells on Switch I’d probably just go ahead and buy it.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #31644 on: August 04, 2018, 02:43:34 PM »
Maybe my tastes or standards have changed but I continue to like the HALO 5 campaign a lot.
Just shooting some covenant and those other dudes, driving vehicles and blowing shit up with a not too complicated story to keep things moving forward.

It was so much better than the disaster that was Halo 4 I was like "oh yeah Halo is back, kinda, I guess"

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31645 on: August 04, 2018, 06:54:56 PM »

It was so much better than the disaster that was Halo 4 I was like "oh yeah Halo is back, kinda, I guess"
I never got very far in Halo 4, thinking about picking it up again when they patch it at the end of the year.
What I remember was narrow encounters beyond mission 1 and searching for buttons everywhere. I also recall running out of ammo all the time.

.... on second thought maybe I should just leave it.  :-\
🤴

agrajag

« Reply #31646 on: August 04, 2018, 07:20:06 PM »
Wtf, brehs.

I think I dicovered an easter egg in HK which I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere. When the banker leaves to go to the spa, I went to the empty bank, and I shadow dashed through it a bunch of time, and I destroyed the bank. WTF

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31647 on: August 04, 2018, 08:05:45 PM »
Holy crap. How can breath of fire 2 be even more a grind than the first game? Nearly everything in the game from graphics, to sound, to story to characters was made better but they somehow upped the already insane encounter rate. Again, still having fun and will soldier though, but man, how could they have done this?
que

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #31648 on: August 04, 2018, 08:11:31 PM »

Bloodborne? :idont They rereleased SMT Strange Journey recently, which is pretty hardcore, but I think they casual'ed it up in the remaster (also animu'd it up). When it comes to specific atmosphere, I can't think of anything that was like (or as scary as) og Silent Hill ever - in any medium. Though Killer7 is gonna be rereleased soon, it has similar vibes imo (except the being scary part).

only game I've found that compared to silent hill was unsurprisingly Siren, because it was made by the same creative team as SH1. unfortunately the game is brutally, absurdly difficult, so it takes real dedication to get into it. haven't played much of siren 2 or the s1 reboot ; they might be easier to get into.
pcp

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #31649 on: August 05, 2018, 03:52:10 AM »

Wasn't 4 the advent of 343 Studios inheriting the license? If so, it would be weird to think any dev team could get it right, straight out of the gate, following up from Bungie.

paprikastaude

« Reply #31650 on: August 05, 2018, 07:41:30 AM »

only game I've found that compared to silent hill was unsurprisingly Siren, because it was made by the same creative team as SH1. unfortunately the game is brutally, absurdly difficult, so it takes real dedication to get into it. haven't played much of siren 2 or the s1 reboot ; they might be easier to get into.

I played the reimagining which was okay. It felt more like "typical" J-horror and not all that much like Silent Hill in its specific obscurity. I kinda regret selling it though, I don't remember what my problems were except for a little jank and some progression mechanics being too confusing.

agrajag

« Reply #31651 on: August 05, 2018, 09:34:25 AM »
Wtf, brehs.

I think I dicovered an easter egg in HK which I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere. When the banker leaves to go to the spa, I went to the empty bank, and I shadow dashed through it a bunch of time, and I destroyed the bank. WTF

Haha I didn't know that. I know you can find the banker near by and kill her for your money.

Nah, she doesn't die. But you can get double from her than what she stole. It's kind of tedious though, because you have to beat it out of her and it takes a long time. And kind of sadistic, she starts crying and shit.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31652 on: August 05, 2018, 04:19:25 PM »
Finished HALO 5.

The final bit was a bit of a drag but it sets up a lot of new stuff for them to work with.
Overall I'd recommend playing the campaign. It's a proper Halo experience and there aren't many games that do this sort of single player campaign thing well.
🤴

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #31653 on: August 05, 2018, 04:31:59 PM »
I can't say it enough but I seriously hate how Microsoft doesn't consistently port halo games to pc.
pcp

agrajag

« Reply #31654 on: August 06, 2018, 12:37:37 PM »
Wtf, brehs.

Haha I didn't know that. I know you can find the banker near by and kill her for your money.

Nah, she doesn't die. But you can get double from her than what she stole. It's kind of tedious though, because you have to beat it out of her and it takes a long time. And kind of sadistic, she starts crying and shit.

I think I want to try this. Where do i find her when she runs away?

The Pleasure House in City of Tears

bluemax

« Reply #31655 on: August 06, 2018, 11:05:59 PM »
More Nier.

More awesome bizarreness. Latest highlight was a robot death cult.  :doge

spoiler (click to show/hide)
BECOME AS GOD
[close]
NO

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31656 on: August 07, 2018, 01:03:35 PM »
Moar Nier MOar Nier MOear NieR

Shit, finished it.....

Wait what, now I get to play everything from 9S' perspective but everything remains unlocked as a new Game+ and he can hack into everything like a Russian?!
BECOME AS GODS BECOME AS GODS BECOME AS GODS

:rejoice :rejoice :rejoice
[close]
🤴

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #31657 on: August 07, 2018, 01:42:12 PM »
You ain't finished shit yet.
©@©™

NTR

« Reply #31658 on: August 07, 2018, 03:58:25 PM »

Shit, finished it.....

Wait what, now I get to play everything from 9S' perspective but everything remains unlocked as a new Game+ and he can hack into everything like a Russian?!

[close]

Lol you haven’t even started the game yet

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31659 on: August 07, 2018, 04:48:25 PM »
You haven't even made it to the real Dark Souls yet.
dog

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31660 on: August 07, 2018, 05:56:17 PM »
Keep going Nintex.
que

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #31661 on: August 07, 2018, 06:09:28 PM »
I finally got around to playing past the first twenty minutes of Witcher 3 and holy shit it's great.  :aah :whew

Trying real hard not to look at the quest guides online and rolling with whatever choice I go for initially. There seems to be....a lot of game here.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31662 on: August 07, 2018, 06:14:29 PM »
I finally got around to playing past the first twenty minutes of Witcher 3 and holy shit it's great.  :aah :whew

Trying real hard not to look at the quest guides online and rolling with whatever choice I go for initially. There seems to be....a lot of game here.
Witcher 3 one of the best games period.
I won't spoil anything but you ain't seen nothing yet.  :rejoice
🤴

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31663 on: August 07, 2018, 06:24:10 PM »
Bloody Baron :whew
dog

NTR

« Reply #31664 on: August 07, 2018, 08:50:53 PM »
Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine  :whew

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #31665 on: August 07, 2018, 10:42:50 PM »
I always say it won't happen and yet it does, every single time. A new WoW expansion comes out and I jump back in for a few months. :doge Oh well, so I'm playing WoW again and enjoying a few different classes. Also installed a new UI which takes from GW2 because the UI is the only good thing about that stupid game. Though the story is at least interesting again. Warlords and Legion were kinda meh at launch but this one is at least pushing Horde vs Alliance a lot more.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #31666 on: August 07, 2018, 11:19:33 PM »

I just got past this and am in Novigrad. Like...just hit 13 and seems like I should go to Skellige soonish but LAWD there are a lot of ??? out there.  :mindblown

I am not playing Gwent really at all...

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #31667 on: August 07, 2018, 11:23:16 PM »

I just got past this and am in Novigrad. Like...just hit 13 and seems like I should go to Skellige soonish but LAWD there are a lot of ??? out there.  :mindblown

I am not playing Gwent really at all...

see you in 100 hours bro lol

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #31668 on: August 07, 2018, 11:25:35 PM »
I am kinda bout it.  :ohyeah

kingv

« Reply #31669 on: August 08, 2018, 01:34:53 AM »

Shit, finished it.....

[close]

There’s even more after the 9S playthrough.
Even though that game is pretty critically acclaimed.. I still think it is somewhat underrated. The story is something truly unique.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31670 on: August 09, 2018, 01:32:40 PM »
Done with Breath of Fire 2 my god what a slog. That encounter rate is immense and so, SO much back tracking. Like I said earlier, so much was improved from BoF1 (story/graphics/menu/combat/interaction) but dungeons, backtracking, and encounter rate all got way worse. How does that happen?

Now I'm trying to decide what's next. BoF3 (never made it passed the child arc), replay Suikoden 1 and 2 (already played these), Illusion of Gaia (never played this, I tried Soul blazer, but it felt too archaic, I did play like 20 minutes of this last night and it felt a lot better than Soul Blazer) and of course all the talk about Xenogears has got me interested in doing that again too (but that damned text speed so SOOOOOO sloww....) Maybe I should do the FFIX steam version so I can up the battle speed.

I'm open to other suggestions/recommendations.
que

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31671 on: August 09, 2018, 01:43:55 PM »
Emerald Dragon, Live A Live, or Treasure of the Rudras, sfc games with translation patches. Or if you want another grind heavy game but with great music, Lagrange Point for Famicon
^_^

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #31672 on: August 09, 2018, 01:52:18 PM »

paprikastaude

« Reply #31673 on: August 09, 2018, 01:58:20 PM »
Go straight to BoF4. It trimmed all the fat hard.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 02:05:14 PM by Spieler1 »

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31674 on: August 09, 2018, 03:08:33 PM »
Emerald Dragon, Live A Live, or Treasure of the Rudras, sfc games with translation patches. Or if you want another grind heavy game but with great music, Lagrange Point for Famicon
No more grinds please LOL. I've never heard of Treasure of Rudras or Emerald Dragon. I'll check those out along with those 100 best lists. That'll take me a while, I'm sure.

I thought I heard that BoF4 was inferior to 3? Is that not the case?
que

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31675 on: August 09, 2018, 04:19:29 PM »
Go straight to BoF4. It trimmed all the fat hard.

>Implying that BoF3 should be skipped. :bolo
dog

paprikastaude

« Reply #31676 on: August 09, 2018, 05:46:56 PM »
If one felt the last game was a drag, maybe one shouldn't go to the slow paced 60 hour game, but to the one with 10 minute long dungeons :trumps

Corporal

« Reply #31677 on: August 10, 2018, 09:53:59 PM »
Got roped into buying Go Vacation for the Switch because of local WiFi coop.

This is such a Wii game. They didn't even try to mask it.

Spurious waggle permeates the minigames. Graphics are servicable, but certainly don't come anywhere close to what the Switch is capable of. Popup everywhere. Textures are a wild hodgepodge. The poly count in a scene is quite low. The less said about the soundscape, the better. Yikes. Driving a Quad should not sound like someone sprinkled gravel in a mixer.

The control layout is just a straight up travesty.

Putting jump on the ZR trigger is just ... I have no words. Someone tell me who's responsible for this so I can stuff a rabid weasel down their collective gullets. No camera control via Rstick, only a rarely-working center-behind-player action performed by wildly and fruitlessly mashing the L bumper. That's borderline criminal. Oh, but sometimes you can control the camera with the Lstick for no reason. The Rstick might as well not exist.

It still has its charm though. A clear throwback to the Wii days. I like it as such, but it's certainly not worth the 40 bucks they're asking for. Maybe half that. Or less.

And I haven't even given the local coop a go yet.
!list

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31678 on: August 10, 2018, 11:28:21 PM »
So I settled to move away from 16 bit for a bit and started Wizardry 8 I've never played this installment. I wonder if I should play 7 first so I can import those characters. But I do have a huge backlog and I already know Wizardry will likely take me 50-60 hours by the time I'm done Dragon Quest XI will likely be out, no way I can get through 7 AND 8 in that time.
que

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31679 on: August 11, 2018, 07:30:52 AM »
I've been playing Monster Hunter World since it released on PC.. It's my first Monster Hunter game and so far it's pretty fucking amazing.

Took down a big t-rex like beast called Anjanath or something last night. That was dope as fuck
What