Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3590847 times)

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #31740 on: August 16, 2018, 01:23:55 PM »
Wizardy 8 continues to be so excellent. Sorta surprised. I thought after finding Baldur's Gate 1 to be sorta..."meh" I thought maybe CRPGs from around that time were not for me. But this is fantastic!
que

kingv

« Reply #31741 on: August 16, 2018, 01:45:45 PM »
I think all of the earlier gtas were hampered by some uneven difficulty.

I really loved San Andreas... until I got to that mission where you have to scare some dude strapped to your car without killing him while cops are after you.

That one made me give up.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #31742 on: August 16, 2018, 03:24:47 PM »
That's one of the easiest missions in the game, just stay on the main "strip" road and drive on the opposite side.

The Driver is indeed one of the worst missions in any GTA game, because of the insane rubber band ability they give Hilary and the fact that one random car knocking into you basically fucks you over.  So many times I would almost win just to be hit by some schmuck in a Faggio and spin out.

kingv

« Reply #31743 on: August 16, 2018, 03:59:08 PM »
Huh, I wished I’d known that in 2004.

Himu

« Reply #31744 on: August 16, 2018, 04:38:24 PM »
Aaand finished Vice City. Didn't realise I was so close to the end. Enjoyed it thoroughly. Theme counts for a lot, as it turns out, even for a bouquet of gangster movie clishees.

Worst mission(s): "The Driver", which I complained about yesterday. Two dozen tries or so that took. /shakefist
spoiler (click to show/hide)
And then this fuck I arduously recruited dies during the heist! But OK; we raced so that I can drive the getaway car. Fair enough, Rockstar. But then the Pay'n'Spray is like 200m down the road from the bank!? And we're in a TAXI, wich looks IDENTICAL when it's resprayed!? :pacspit
[close]

The last mission was also trying, but only because of the endlessly respawning mooks. >:(
Thankfully I could switch to KBM. If I were stuck with a controller during this (or any of the shooting in this game, honestly), I would have broken at least one. I cannot imagine doing this with analogue sticks.

The Driver is awful.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31745 on: August 16, 2018, 04:44:26 PM »
Aaand finished Vice City. Didn't realise I was so close to the end. Enjoyed it thoroughly. Theme counts for a lot, as it turns out, even for a bouquet of gangster movie clishees.

Worst mission(s): "The Driver", which I complained about yesterday. Two dozen tries or so that took. /shakefist
And then this fuck I arduously recruited dies during the heist! But OK; we raced so that I can drive the getaway car. Fair enough, Rockstar. But then the Pay'n'Spray is like 200m down the road from the bank!? And we're in a TAXI, wich looks IDENTICAL when it's resprayed!? :pacspit
[close]

The last mission was also trying, but only because of the endlessly respawning mooks. >:(
Thankfully I could switch to KBM. If I were stuck with a controller during this (or any of the shooting in this game, honestly), I would have broken at least one. I cannot imagine doing this with analogue sticks.

The Driver is awful.

But Driver was pretty good back in the day:

dog

agrajag

« Reply #31746 on: August 16, 2018, 05:55:51 PM »
I tried the Monster Hunter GENERATIONS ULTIMATE!!!! demo on Switch. Never played a MH game before. I don't get it.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #31747 on: August 16, 2018, 06:24:25 PM »
Driver does have some pretty pain in the ass "half a second error margin" missions too.

Also the last mission is just respawning cars to ram you over and over. :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #31748 on: August 16, 2018, 06:25:35 PM »
I tried the Monster Hunter GENERATIONS ULTIMATE!!!! demo on Switch. Never played a MH game before. I don't get it.
I've heard the PC version of Monster Hunter actually literally rapes children every time someone plays it, so I wouldn't even look at it. It's shameful that they even sell it on Steam and such.

BisMarckie

« Reply #31749 on: August 16, 2018, 06:29:57 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

That tutorial mission in the parking garage :rage

That's the only thing I remember about it though :lol
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 06:42:52 PM by KennyLoggins »

benjipwns

« Reply #31750 on: August 16, 2018, 06:41:17 PM »
I used my DexDrive to download a save for immediately after the parking garage. :rofl

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31751 on: August 16, 2018, 06:56:17 PM »
Glad I'm not the only one that only remembers the garage and nothing else.
que

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31752 on: August 16, 2018, 07:22:36 PM »
I probably spent more time driving around the Miami map and launching myself off those steep little bridges than I did actually doing missions. :lol
dog

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #31753 on: August 16, 2018, 08:08:57 PM »
Reverse handbrake turn, bitches! Don't think I ever legit beat the game. The last mission was brutally difficult. Time sensitive, at night, raining, with insane police riding your ass.

Also: Survival mode. SF map. Watch the cops fly past you on the hills. Endless entertainment.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31754 on: August 16, 2018, 10:01:26 PM »
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #31755 on: August 16, 2018, 11:28:02 PM »
Didn't realize No Man's Sky was still $60 normally. Damn. Borys' posts have got me wanting to try it but will have to wait for next sale.

paprikastaude

« Reply #31756 on: August 17, 2018, 08:18:48 AM »
Getting to the end in Final Fantasy 12 Zodiacs. This had some annoying mechanics towards the end, in particular invisible traps all over the place that fuck you up constantly. You could see them with one character up until a certain point, but then that stopped and I didn't really see any skills to change that. I can now go to the last boss afaik, though the second to last boss I did was probably the hardest that was left in the main story. Took me one or two hours of trying all sorts of strategies, especially since I didn't want to backtrack through the final dungeon. Steamrolled through the bosses afterwards.

I'm not sure whether I'll do the high end game.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #31757 on: August 17, 2018, 09:23:00 AM »
you use libra to see the traps. it's an ability and it's also attached to some accessory you get a ton of early in the game. you can also cast float on everyone to avoid the traps.

no man's sky was going used for like under $10 earlier this year and I'm kicking myself for not grabbing it then.
pcp

paprikastaude

« Reply #31758 on: August 18, 2018, 10:59:15 AM »
The FF12 boss was kind of sick, since I was like 15 levels below him. That was the first time I had to go back to normal speed in the remaster (which at that point felt like superchill slowmotion) to do super finnicky manual menu work for over half an hour, so my party didn't automatically jump into their doom or waste any turns for redundancies.

e: pretty shit that you can solely start NG+ after the final boss without getting a menu option for it, plus then you have to get to the first checkpoint in the game to keep it for later.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 11:03:16 AM by Spieler1 »

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #31759 on: August 18, 2018, 12:51:49 PM »
Game pass stuff mostly besides my regular Overwatch chores

Steredenn — pretty fun, almost killed the battleship a few runs

Doom — lol very entertaining
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 02:13:28 PM by CatsCatsCats »

paprikastaude

« Reply #31760 on: August 18, 2018, 02:29:42 PM »
I was quite addicted after the underwhelming start with Vaan, but probably would've liked the og significantly less. Without 2x speed the maps would have been way too big (especially the dungeons that need backtracking) and the job system gives auto-battles enough substance. The world building and exploration was very good, though the ingame graphics were much better than the plastic-looking junk in CGI cutscenes. Thankfully there wasn't much of the latter. I liked the story except for Vaan (him being shoehorned into the climax was particularly striking/goofy), though it reminded me of Legacy of Kain, in which I liked listening to what's spoken while paying attention to the actual content was secondary. :doge
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 02:36:49 PM by Spieler1 »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #31761 on: August 18, 2018, 05:54:57 PM »
along with the 2x/4x speed the other huge improvement is auto saving. nothing sucked like dying an hour into searching a new area and having so start all the way the fuck over good lord.
pcp

BikeJesus

« Reply #31762 on: August 18, 2018, 07:06:52 PM »
I just finished Deus Ex: Mankind Divided last night, and it was a great game. Very detailed environments, a good story, and satisfying gameplay with plenty of player choice. Steam says I sunk 43 hours into my playthrough, and there is still 3 DLC missions to play, and a Breach mode.

I played the game stealthy, and finished it without killing anyone. That said, whenever I would get spotted, I would go on a psycho killer rampage and unload all my ammo. It was fucking awesome.

Oh, and some nice butts.
 :nsfw
[close]

Also funny shit like this . . . I slipped through this whole area and looted all the guns, and then when the cutscene played, the npc's didn't have their weapons. Probably a glitch, but I laughed.

[close]
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 08:59:18 PM by BikeJesus »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #31763 on: August 18, 2018, 09:27:40 PM »
Home for a week, where I've left my PS4 while working remotely. REALLY not sure what I want to play. TORCHLIGHT overstayed its welcome — I can't help but feel I would have been more engaged on Hard difficulty, but it also didn't seem like something that'd set me on fire even if it was harder to progress.

I haven't played GTA Online in a dog's age. May go back to that.

Mainly feel like reading tabletop RPG manuals.
:expert

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #31764 on: August 19, 2018, 09:41:35 AM »
Bought a bunch of games for cheap. Deus Ex:MD, Dishonored 2, FFXV and Re7. Gonna take me a while to paddle through all that.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #31765 on: August 19, 2018, 01:52:29 PM »
Nioh - Imagine Dark Souls, but you can force every boss to fight you in slow mo, and you're invincible for a quarter of the fight. That's this game. Still fairly fun, but man is it easy to just completely break. If you engage with the revenant system at all the game's balance just completely falls apart, and the magic/living weapons are just absurdly OP.
zzzzz

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #31766 on: August 19, 2018, 01:54:35 PM »
Still really want to get Nioh but I've heard the pc port is kinda shoddy so I might just wait until I get a ps4.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #31767 on: August 19, 2018, 02:07:44 PM »
I'm playing on PC and minus a couple crashes it's been mostly ok.
zzzzz

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31768 on: August 19, 2018, 03:21:32 PM »
When I played it on pc it ran fine
What

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31769 on: August 19, 2018, 05:18:13 PM »
Wizardry 8 have enemy scaling. I hate that. You make all this progress, then go back to an earlier area and get your ass handed to you by a cockroach.
que

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31770 on: August 20, 2018, 01:54:31 PM »
Finding now that I wasn't taking Wizardry 8 serious enough. The game is like "Strap in bitch, I'm not joking." Last night I had my first encounter where I foolishly went into a crossroad without thinking and somehow over the course of 5 minutes aggroed no less than 34 enemies, in one fight. The ensuing fight depleted me of a lot of my stock and ended up killing one of my characters. But I made it. That feeling of triumph and accomplishment is something that I've only felt on occasional games like bloodborne, Doom 2016 and Civ.  I think I get it now. I can't take anything, even the automapping for granted. I wish more games were like this.
que

kingv

« Reply #31771 on: August 20, 2018, 03:22:38 PM »
So wizardry 6/7/8 are free on twitch prime this month... if you were to play just one, is 8 the move to make?

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #31772 on: August 20, 2018, 03:28:56 PM »
Wizardry 7 is the GOAT
©@©™

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31773 on: August 20, 2018, 06:42:39 PM »
Only Wizardry game I played was the NES port of the first game... bone-crunchingly difficult dungeon crawler. Was 7 and 8 when the series switched over and became mostly Japanese developed, or were they from the original team?

Been playing Octopath Traveler, myself. Some ways into Chapter 2. Really enjoying it, it definitely gives me the feeling of Square's 16 bit games. Lovely monster sprites too. I don't care altogether too much about the stories not really intersecting (though a Live A Live esque finale would have been stunning, though I don't really predict that's the case here). My biggest issue is that the dungeon design is a bit weak - a dungeon just usually seems to be one or two areas  that don't really have any distinct puzzles, environmental hazards, or memorable layouts. (this may change as I play more)
^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31774 on: August 20, 2018, 07:24:19 PM »
7 and 8 were still the original team at Sir-Tech.
dog

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31775 on: August 22, 2018, 09:58:47 AM »
Got Yoshi's Woolly World today. Found it without the Nintendo tax. Now I only need claymation Kirby and my WiiU library is complete.

Game is way too easy, but it's pretty much what I expected. Hopefully the bonus levels bring something to the table.

Edit: First bonus level I played was cool.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 12:28:34 PM by HardcoreRetro »

Mistress 9

« Reply #31776 on: August 22, 2018, 02:22:21 PM »
Ive kinda wanted to get back into No Mans Sky again but last time I tried playing after the updates I was so confused with all the new stuff, since there was no explanation of how to do anything. It was also so long that I'd played that I forgot the controls anyway. Should I just start the game over completely to relearn everything or just wing it and figure it out?

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #31777 on: August 22, 2018, 03:39:12 PM »
Is it actually a good game now? Might try it out if it is.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31778 on: August 22, 2018, 04:14:12 PM »
I think it's now pretty much the game they promised from the beginning. So if that sounded cool to you, get it.

Mistress 9

« Reply #31779 on: August 22, 2018, 04:15:26 PM »
I thought it was good pre-updates. But then again I didn't watch or read about any of the hype surrounding it before its release so I wasn't disappointed like everyone else.

It is suppose to be better though.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31780 on: August 23, 2018, 03:47:12 PM »
Almost done with Assassin's Creed Rogue. It's basically just more AC4, but they also introduced a new enemy type which they should've kept.

This new enemy can use the same mechanics as the player, so they're waiting on rooftops or hiding in bushes waiting for a stealth kill. Pretty cool.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #31781 on: August 23, 2018, 03:48:23 PM »
DQXI in a little over a week :rejoice
:9

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #31782 on: August 23, 2018, 04:10:22 PM »
Going through Shenmue and considering finally STICKING to Lost Odyssey. Might fuck with Ys Origins.
reckt

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31783 on: August 23, 2018, 07:02:32 PM »
I wanted to love Lost Odyssey. I really did.But too much loading. Too slow. I remember I timed how long it took to load from flash scene to the first fight command input and it was like 11 seconds or something. 
que

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #31784 on: August 23, 2018, 07:14:42 PM »
Still going through Bayonetta on Switch

Saw that Joy cutscene  :doge

Grace and Glory are massive fuckers :fbm

The whole handheld to tv concept really works with this game.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31785 on: August 23, 2018, 08:47:16 PM »
Going through Shenmue and considering finally STICKING to Lost Odyssey. Might fuck with Ys Origins.

Well, to play through Origins once takes about ~12 hours, a little faster the second time (you have to beat it 2x to open up the TRUE final boss)... extremely fun game and my personal favorite Ys.
^_^

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #31786 on: August 23, 2018, 09:51:51 PM »
Nioh's kinda meh. I find the combat very easy to exploit, and you're mostly fighting the same handful of enemies over and over in similar looking caves and shrines. How some people say this is better DS I have no idea.

Hoping The Surge is better. Will be playing that next (ty papa GR).
zzzzz

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #31787 on: August 23, 2018, 10:17:42 PM »
Hoping The Surge is better
nicca i hate to be the bearer of bad news
reckt

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #31788 on: August 23, 2018, 10:19:53 PM »
Nah The Surge ain't bad. The level design is just shit. I'll definitely check out the sequel. The developer has already improved since Lords Of The Fallen.
reckt

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #31789 on: August 24, 2018, 10:41:18 AM »
Ive kinda wanted to get back into No Mans Sky again but last time I tried playing after the updates I was so confused with all the new stuff, since there was no explanation of how to do anything. It was also so long that I'd played that I forgot the controls anyway. Should I just start the game over completely to relearn everything or just wing it and figure it out?

start over. the newer quest stuff is apparently totally broken in older saves. i got it after the NEXT update and can say that it's only partially broken with a new game. there were several points where quests would be totally broken that would later seemingly fix themselves out of the blue for no discernable reason, so that stuff is progressable if you're willing to be a little extra patient. black holes totally broke on me though, still not sure if they're working again lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #31790 on: August 24, 2018, 09:09:47 PM »
Went back to Headlander, an 80% complete save… and I have no idea how to do anything.

Quit a metroidlike at 80%? Bad idea.

Bunch of new stuff in GTA Online, but figured it out pretty quickly. Except the part where I catch fire and die repeatedly. I guess someone has an orbital laser.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #31791 on: August 24, 2018, 09:46:44 PM »
think I'm gonna try and stick it out with FF15. Maybe try some of the DLC.

I got Murasma Rebirth on my Vita, along with Soul Sacrifice Delta (been picking at this for years now), Oreshika and Sundered.
reckt

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31792 on: August 30, 2018, 11:39:51 PM »
Just wrapping up the last of the chapter 2 quests in Octopath. My opinion of the game hasn't changed much at all, still a shit ton of fun, still think the dungeon design could've been a bit more interesting.

Also downloaded The Messenger but haven't played it yet. Ninja Gaiden is one of my favorite NES action franchises (2 being an all time great for me), so I'm eager to play this. Even if the 8 -> 16 bit switching looks like it could get a bit gimmicky.
^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31793 on: August 31, 2018, 07:23:40 AM »
Also downloaded The Messenger but haven't played it yet. Ninja Gaiden is one of my favorite NES action franchises (2 being an all time great for me), so I'm eager to play this. Even if the 8 -> 16 bit switching looks like it could get a bit gimmicky.

Before any switching happens, you're going to get to run through what is the equivalent of a full 8-bit game.  I'm in the-bit parts now and things have started to ramp a bit difficulty-wise.  Got owned by the boss on the current level.  :'(
ど助平

Beezy

« Reply #31794 on: September 01, 2018, 10:13:29 AM »
I finished Legend mode of Hyrule Warriors on normal last night and just moved on to Adventure Mode. This shit looks massive. I might just do one map then take a break from this game.

Freyj

« Reply #31795 on: September 01, 2018, 02:09:20 PM »
I would absolutely be playing NMS rn if it weren’t $60.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #31796 on: September 01, 2018, 04:08:51 PM »
No Man's Sky

Finally there!

First I did the Polo & Nada missions up to the last one i.e. Zoology LVL10. Afterwards I did the Atlas Path then the Artemis (16/16) one - chosen to "refuse" Atlas (did not want to spawn a new simulation) and was transported 500k LY back :rofl Then it was a pure nightmare of:

a) warp to the furthest Black Hole system possible
b) summon your freighter
c) land inside and switch your main ship to the shitty one (no upgrades)
d) go through the Black Hole with your shitty ship
e) summon your freighter
f) land inside and switch your shitty ship to the main one (best Hyperdrive)

Repeat a) - f) ad nauseum. Actually it wasn't ad nauseum... only about 100 times (!). Yes, it was one of the WORST GRINDS EVER - in the same shitty league as killing 700 Silver Knights on Anor Londo stairs in Dark Souls III or killing Adamantoises in Final Fantasy XIII.

The work above took me about 10 hours, literally, doing nothing else. Jesus does this game suck or what??? Top three worst grinds ever.

And that ending... is no ending as this game is infinite. JOKE'S ON ME, hahahaha.

Avoid this game. Have some pics instead.

It is - at the same time - the best and most important game of the last 10 years:

+ 100% procedural
+ infinite
+ seamless cave to galaxy
+ Asimov/ 2001 atmosphere
+ unparalleled and delivered ambition

and the worst one:

- grind to get to the end
- mobile games stamina
- limited everything
- farm everything

I hate it and love it. I am glad I finished it right at the very moment they released the first "community event" as I fear it will turn from this beatiful, incredible, stoic almost therapeutic tranquil sci-fi odyssey into a "multiplayer fiesta" with weekly events, grinds etc. like Path of Exile or Final Fantasy 15. Note: Path of Exile is excellent but there is no end to the content they are releasing!!! It should stop! 10 incredible Acts is enough!

And to think people were sending death threats to Sean Murray because this game lacked MP........... why? It does not need MP at all.

imagine that grind but black holes stop working 60k away from the center and you have my last 7-10 hours in the game lol. i still haven't done any of the freighter stuff beyond the very first stages so i might get around to it in a few months, but boy oh boy did that take the wind outta my sails. i did enjoy most of my time with the game though, despite it being pretty janky, especially the quest stuff. a pretty enjoyable, simplified mix of stuff like Rust crossed with Elite Dangerous.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #31797 on: September 01, 2018, 04:28:24 PM »
Sounds like you bought the bullshit just like Molyneux, congrats
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #31798 on: September 01, 2018, 06:19:56 PM »
been slowly picking at Horizon. was bored as shit for the first few hours and couldn't for the life of me figure out why. then i turned off the hud and remembered games are way more to me fun when i can play them intuitively instead of relying on a million icons and guides and whatnot.

also playing Mafia 3... and while i can sorta see how reviewers didn't like it, this game is still fun as fuck. it definitely feels unambitious in that it plays like a ps2 game, but it's still fun sneaking around and stabbing hillbillies in the throat. shame they couldn't have the whole game be scripted missions with lots of cutscenes like the first hour tho, bc the writing is really good.
pcp

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #31799 on: September 01, 2018, 09:32:20 PM »
Finally fired up my 360's copy of DISHONORED. I love the world, the look, and the overall atmosphere. It's steampunk without everything having brass gears glued to it. It has internal consistency.

But I'm not very good at it just yet. The movement is unusual, made more so by my controller's somewhat misbehaving left analog stick. I slide when I don't intend to. I slip under tables as i approach to read a letter that's on top of it. I fall from rooftops. It's annoying, but the game appears to allow for scumsaving, so I'm getting accustomed to using that before trying anything weird. It feels SO STRANGE to scumsave on a console game.