Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3601189 times)

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #37500 on: September 28, 2021, 09:54:54 AM »
I made it to the forest underneath the 3rd world's capital city... the capital city and palace are absolutely stunning in terms of art direction, insane level of detail. I'd argue this is the best looking 3d RPG ever.
^_^

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #37501 on: September 28, 2021, 01:27:21 PM »
It looks decent, maybe even good at times. But I can't really agree to that. I can easily list many many rpgs that look better

Bebpo

« Reply #37502 on: September 28, 2021, 10:54:42 PM »
Outer Wilds Expansion Pack Seems cool, but pretty obtuse and hard initially. Like once you get going it seems fine so far but the very beginning stuff was rough for me. Also got mild nausea from all the flying. I'm reading it's like 8-9 hours long which is pretty meaty since the main game took me about 15-16 hours. Since it's not just a short 2 hour thing, gonna shelve it and get back to it later when I can focus on it.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #37503 on: September 29, 2021, 09:47:49 AM »
The Artful Escape is basically an indie twee bullshit version of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which I kinda hate but also kinda love. The dualities.  :noah
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #37504 on: September 29, 2021, 01:32:22 PM »
So Kuro no Kiseki/Trails of the Black/Calvard Arc Pt.1 came out this morning and the graphics are TERRIBLE. Everyone is complaining about it coming from CS3/CS4/Hajimari it's a huge downgrade.

Game looks like it's 720p and sub-30fps. It's muddy, jaggy and sluggish. Coming from CS3/4/Hajimari being clean IQ 60fps.

It's a brand new engine and Falcom just suck at programming, plus making entire 100 hour games in 1 year including an all new engine is kinda a bad fucking idea but apparently if they take more than 1 year to make a game they go out of business because it sells so little they need the yearly sales.

Hoping for a quick performance patch. Otherwise expect a nice clean IQ/60fps when the USA release comes in a couple years and there's a PC version and an optimized PS5 patch/port.

So what are the benefits of the new engine that is bringing PS4 to its knees? Uhh, you don't have that 1 second load when going into houses. And there are basic reflections on windows & glass. That seems...about it! Though I guess the big deal is in the fields not having a transition into battle since you can Ys it up.

:-\

No real comment outside the visuals. I played like 45 mins and the game is probably 100 hours or something. I guess from the initial 5 mins the main two seem more grown up and less annoying than Rean & Alisa. Music seems ok so far.

Bebpo

« Reply #37505 on: September 29, 2021, 04:33:24 PM »
Trails of Kuro is ...interesting.

Outside the tech mess, and the combat system has some weird questionable choices like only able to see partial turn order and no skip spell/combat arts animations,

The combat system seems neat, complex and has potential. Instead of just being Ys real-time combat or Trails turn-based combat it's actually mix-use combat system that has you doing stuff in real-time to trigger benefits transitioning into turn-based. There's also aggro and RNG skill buffs/defs, positional based damage, etc...

Also the story and characters start off a built older and more mature than Cold Steel's High School shit thankfully. Feels closer to Crossbell which is what, especially with getting the Crossbell character artist back, is what I think they were going for since the two Crossbell games are their best. There's some blood and people actually dying from the prologue. Which makes sense because the visual novel prologue to this game was pretty violent.

There's also a black story character early on! Which I feel is like a first for the series. Falcom games are really white (I think one of the Zephyr guys in CS was the only black character in all 4 games), so that's a step forward. Still got boob shots and swimsuits tho

And the main guy Van is an asshole. Definitely take this over Rean, though going by jrpg tropes that means he'll have to become a better nicer person by the end sadly. Still better than Rean.

I'm enjoying the start and interested, but this game needs some QoL work. I feel like next years Calvard pt.2 will bring some of that based on their past games.

Bebpo

« Reply #37506 on: September 29, 2021, 09:05:27 PM »
Finished the prologue. Game is better than Cold Steel already.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37507 on: September 29, 2021, 11:35:58 PM »

Outside the tech mess, and the combat system has some weird questionable choices like only able to see partial turn order and no skip spell/combat arts animations,

The combat system seems neat, complex and has potential. Instead of just being Ys real-time combat or Trails turn-based combat it's actually mix-use combat system that has you doing stuff in real-time to trigger benefits transitioning into turn-based. There's also aggro and RNG skill buffs/defs, positional based damage, etc...

Also the story and characters start off a built older and more mature than Cold Steel's High School shit thankfully. Feels closer to Crossbell which is what, especially with getting the Crossbell character artist back, is what I think they were going for since the two Crossbell games are their best. There's some blood and people actually dying from the prologue. Which makes sense because the visual novel prologue to this game was pretty violent.

There's also a black story character early on! Which I feel is like a first for the series. Falcom games are really white (I think one of the Zephyr guys in CS was the only black character in all 4 games), so that's a step forward. Still got boob shots and swimsuits tho

And the main guy Van is an asshole. Definitely take this over Rean, though going by jrpg tropes that means he'll have to become a better nicer person by the end sadly. Still better than Rean.

I'm enjoying the start and interested, but this game needs some QoL work. I feel like next years Calvard pt.2 will bring some of that based on their past games.

Yeah iirc the black guy (Leo) in CS was from Calvard originally.

Thanks for the impressions, shame about the muddy visuals since from still shots they looked a step up from the CS graphics... plus the environments/biomes look a bit more varied than western Erebonia so far. Well, looking forward to it coming west one of these years.
^_^

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37508 on: September 30, 2021, 01:30:41 AM »
"Are you hungry?"

"No"

*stomach rumbles*

"Oh you are hungry"

*30 minutes later*

Narrator: And so they learned how to cook

Stomach rumbling hungry jokes are the staple of every piece of media made in Japan since ever
Also why games have the most detailed food textures and images.

Japan loves food & eating.

I love it

Japanese broadcast TV only has 3 things:
1. Food and eating
2. Celebrities
3. Celebrities eating food.

Bebpo

« Reply #37509 on: September 30, 2021, 02:10:10 AM »

Yeah iirc the black guy (Leo) in CS was from Calvard originally.

Thanks for the impressions, shame about the muddy visuals since from still shots they looked a step up from the CS graphics... plus the environments/biomes look a bit more varied than western Erebonia so far. Well, looking forward to it coming west one of these years.

So interesting enough they finally changed the magic system after all these games. Instead of equipping quartz to make spells, you just swap between magic devices that have preset spells and two custom slots. You then buy spells that you can equip in the two custom slots. The end.

Gives a little less flexibility in magic use, but I've always thought the quartz system was unnecessarily complicated. Although in Kuro the skill system is pretty much identical to the old quartz system so it's just as complicated but now instead of spells you get skills if you have like earth x 3 and fire x 4 quartz in a line.

About to finish day 1 in chapter 1 after about 7.5 hours already.

Bebpo

« Reply #37510 on: September 30, 2021, 02:11:33 AM »
In Kuro, I'm kind of surprised that random no-name NPCs actually look good. They put nice art design and detail into npcs this time. Outside the image quality and framerate, they did a good job making the city feel more alive and less static than previous games. Lots of NPCs walking around and animating. Cars driving by, trains moving, shirts blowing in the wind on a clothes line. The main Calvard city feels good like Crossbell but more modern 3d.

Also character cameo spoilers from chapter 1:

spoiler (click to show/hide)

Zin is looking good here.
[close]

Quaker

« Reply #37511 on: October 01, 2021, 02:22:32 PM »
Maybe the PC version let you remap controls?

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #37512 on: October 01, 2021, 04:34:40 PM »
Industria runs like ASS, and there is too many bugs.... But I am still enjoying it a lot. A whole lot. Also considering it's like a 5 man dev studio, it looks impressive at least. It's very half lifeish

Bebpo

« Reply #37513 on: October 01, 2021, 05:25:26 PM »
Wow, that looks like Half-life 3

5 person dev team? Very impressive.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #37514 on: October 01, 2021, 06:25:58 PM »
I dont remember where I got 5 devs from. Went to look around for the number, and the only number I can find is their facebook, which says 2 man developer  :lol

The main guy behind it has worked on it since he was 19, and is now 25. Quite impressive. The visual quality does vary quite a bit. But it looks great at its best for sure. As I said, runs like ass. My 3090 is struggling hard with ray tracing on. But they seem dedicated to fixing it, seems like a real passion project that they needed to release soon to keep going. I would wait a bit playing it, but I still recommend it. Such a cool thing so far.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37515 on: October 02, 2021, 05:52:07 AM »
The GOTY is not what you thought it would be

[close]
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #37516 on: October 02, 2021, 06:30:02 AM »
That Industria game reminds me a lot of Singularity. Why the fuck are they stuck making map packs for COD...

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #37517 on: October 02, 2021, 10:41:36 AM »
20 levels into Dragons Dogma; love the combat and the friendly AI is good, but crafting/inventory sucks and theres no fast travel yet which is grinding the experience
jon

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37518 on: October 02, 2021, 04:05:06 PM »
That Industria game reminds me a lot of Singularity. Why the fuck are they stuck making map packs for COD...

Raven getting exiled to the CoD mines is a travesty. :mjcry
dog

paprikastaude

« Reply #37519 on: October 02, 2021, 08:31:19 PM »
Bloodstained Classic DLC

- plagiarism?
         /
:isthis

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #37520 on: October 02, 2021, 09:12:57 PM »
More Xbox gaming:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds

These are beat em up type games, but they're pretty simplistic. If you are a fan of the show, you'll probably get a lot more enjoyment out of them.

The first game is pretty well done, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Some frustrating bits near the end, but overall I liked it.

The second game drops the quality a lot, but it was released when the show began gaining steam and popularity I think (it takes place around Season 5 or something). They let you play as some of the other cast of characters, but they all mostly play the same. Level design is shit and they have these dumb little puzzles that you have to do to proceed in the level with pretty much zero explanation for most of it.
fat

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #37521 on: October 03, 2021, 05:42:05 AM »
First game was by The Collective and, as it says, only on Xbox. Second was by part of Eurocom.

Bebpo

« Reply #37522 on: October 03, 2021, 02:45:24 PM »
About 20 hours into Trails of the Black and it's pretty good. I have issues with it, but it has the following which I like:

-CARS
-Quest ending choice branches (Mass Effect -lite style)
-Occasional actual detective puzzles
-no Rean
-Did I mention that the main guy is a gear-head and there is a lot of CARS and even choose your own adventure Initial D racing?

Calvard seems like an interesting place. Story is very slow but world building and NPCs are great as always with these games. Music isn't Falcom's best, but it's not bad either. Solid ost and good art.

20 hours in I'm still not sure where I stand on the battle system. To its credit, Falcom finally did a real reboot of Trails battles and this doesn't feel like Sky/Crossbell/Cold Steel. Otoh, being an all new system, and not at end game stuff yet, I'm still figuring out how to break it and some fights drag out a bit in simplicity where all I can basically do is knock off 1,500-3,000 damage per turn and the boss has 30k HP so it takes like 10 turns which is a lot for Trails where everything tends to be fast and broken.

Also, can I say how tired I am of every Trails boss in every game going into RAGE MODE in the last 20% and healing like 20% HP and buffing all stats? This is fucking lame.

Given Trails past, each sequel will iterate on the combat and add new sub-systems, so I think with some more sub-systems this good be a really cool and fun battle system. Right now it's not a bad battle system, but it's not fast, great or deep. Feels...interesting but limited. Though this might open up more later in the game when I have more crafts/spells/skills/characters to play with.

Like one thing I really hope they add in the sequel is this game does a better link system than Cold Steel. Instead of changing your link from a menu, you just walk within a few feet of the character you want to link with and you're linked and do a bit more atk/def and follow up attacks. The downside is having to group your characters together. Anyhow what I'd like to see in the next game is the ability to stack links so if you have three characters next to each other, you do one attack and get 2 follow up attacks from both other characters nearby. The way it's executed here that seems logical and a no brainer but it doesn't happen and just picks one of the two you are next to as your follow up attacker.

Oh and so far, given how the map of Calvard is done, there's no indication this is going to be a 4 part (first half/2nd half) country. There's no easy division of Calvard's map and it sure seems like you'll go to all the major places in Calvard in games #1 & #2. So maybe they'll learn from Cold Steel and at most do a 3rd/Hajimari style epilogue wrap up game at the end, but I don't think this is going to be a four game arc. Should be done in a couple years if they stick to one game a year.

But this game is definitely going to be 100 hours like CS3/4. It's paced exactly the same, especially if you talk to every NPC after every time of day update. I'm like midway through ch.2 now at 20 hours.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37523 on: October 04, 2021, 05:38:32 AM »
More Xbox gaming:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

These are beat em up type games, but they're pretty simplistic. If you are a fan of the show, you'll probably get a lot more enjoyment out of them.

The first game is pretty well done, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Some frustrating bits near the end, but overall I liked it.

The second game drops the quality a lot, but it was released when the show began gaining steam and popularity I think (it takes place around Season 5 or something). They let you play as some of the other cast of characters, but they all mostly play the same. Level design is shit and they have these dumb little puzzles that you have to do to proceed in the level with pretty much zero explanation for most of it.
I had the first one on xbox, it was really fun and i remember it having cool fight animations.
Played it a bunch of times, but i wish it had coop.

Apparently (just found this out) it had a secret multiplayer/debug mode, wish i'd known then.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #37524 on: October 04, 2021, 10:49:07 AM »
Spooktober gaming:

The Thing (Xbox)

The whole "manage your team or they'll go crazy" stuff is so paper thin, it pretty much doesnt matter at all, majority of the characters turn at scripted parts, and the game is segmented in levels so you cant really take them with you the whole way, so they just disappear and probably die anyway. Starts out riding that movie cock, then it immediately deviates to some sort of quasi-resident evil where the gubment has been working on the alien virus and testing it on people and uh

Then you just go through the motions and shoot random aliens, then gubment soldiers. Theres some dumb (and I mean dumb) boss fights as well.

Also this game has this weird bug where whenever you pause the game, the camera does this weird zoom out and constantly does it to the point where the xbox can hardlock. So if you catch it in time, the game will zoom quickly back into frame. Lmao

Just a pretty crap game tbh.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 11:32:34 AM by demi »
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #37525 on: October 06, 2021, 10:31:20 AM »
More Xbox gaming:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

I really wanna play the Xbox Buffy game ya
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #37526 on: October 08, 2021, 06:57:22 PM »
Spooktober gaming:

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (Xbox)

This game is DARK - like, the brightness doesnt do shit. Also this game is extremely frustrating with the medical system. When you're solving the puzzles it's fun stuff, but then there are moments where you have to shoddily shoot fishmen with your crappy guns, or sneak around with the awful sneaking. It just goes onnn and onnnn and then abruptly ends. This game sucks
fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37527 on: October 08, 2021, 07:17:17 PM »
Making my way through Tales of Arise.

At the 4th Lord now, which completely destroyed me so I've been charging up on side quests and buying new weapons to see if I can win next time
:dice
🤴

Straight Edge

• Boots & Braces
« Reply #37528 on: October 08, 2021, 09:37:43 PM »
Battlefield 2042 beta. It's a huge departure from prior entries. Also got killed by someone named "GiantDad" who I assume posts here.
Oi Oi

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #37529 on: October 09, 2021, 12:58:25 AM »
More xbox gaming:

Otogi: Myth of Demons
Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors

I had never played these, and I know they get praise for some reason, but that might be nostalgia talking because these games really arent that good now. Combat is bad, controls suck, levels suck - though there is a lot of levels in here, almost 30 levels per game. The idea is that you get stronger by replaying levels, but leveling itself its a grind and boring. The levels are generally different, and the goal is to complete the task given. Problem is the main mechanic in this game is a draining magic meter, so you are pretty much timed, total boner killer.

I gave up on these, there are much better action games to play out there.
fat

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #37530 on: October 09, 2021, 01:02:14 AM »
I know they get praise for some reason
graphics + SEGA generally

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37531 on: October 09, 2021, 02:45:27 AM »
Juggling Arise, Actraiser Renaissance, and now Dread

Beat Arise 2 days ago and now just playing through the postgame. May try to platinum it if I don't get fed up with fishing.
Up to Aitos (4th world) in Actraiser Renaissance. A remake that's definitely worse than the original, though the remastered music is very nice.
And just got the Morph Ball in Dread. Fun game, wish you could remap controls, EMMI fights are annoying.
^_^

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #37532 on: October 09, 2021, 04:12:18 AM »
I know they get praise for some reason
graphics + SEGA generally

Also From Software

The destructability of the stages is pretty awesome though, and the atmosphere is dope
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #37533 on: October 10, 2021, 01:30:50 AM »
Spooktober gaming:

Curse: The Eye of Isis (Xbox)

This game is a budget Resident Evil, I'm surprised. The difficulty is pretty non-existent, the directions arent very clear, and the map is awful. Also the boxart is awful. But I'm not disgusted by it, so I plan on finishing this one.
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #37534 on: October 10, 2021, 02:58:49 AM »
Finished the second chapter in Kuro no Kiseki. It was...20 hours long, lol. Was enjoyable, but it wasn't a particularly great chapter/town arc and would've been better at half the length. Kuro very much still follows the same episodic chapter formula of new town, new story arc, new "experiment", fight some boss guys that run away, etc...the game is better than Cold Steel 1 so far, but it's not really taking any/many risks to break the formulaic mold.

If every chapter is going to be ~20 hours long from this point...yeesh. This game's gonna be 120-140 hours...

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #37535 on: October 10, 2021, 09:03:52 PM »
Beat the 3rd kingdom in Tales of Arise. The game is even better now that I have the full party.
©@©™

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #37536 on: October 11, 2021, 05:53:12 AM »
Using my Xbox series x to play ... Castlevania Circle of the Moon. Putting that power to good use. Aside from looking great The Ascent is a bit dull. Maybe I need some better guns and powers?

Also picking away at too many other games. Rise of the Tomb Raider, No More Heroes 3, Super Metroid.... Still playing Going Under as well but damn the last achievement is hard. Imposter mode is some bullshit

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #37537 on: October 12, 2021, 12:27:09 AM »
Spooktober gaming:

Obscure (Xbox)

Hot off the heels of Curse, comes another Resident Evil starring 5 students in a school. Kind of like The Faculty, except replace aliens that thrive in water with plants that thrive on darkness. This game is neat that you can group up with another student, each student having their own unique ability (one can point out if you missed an item in a room, one can pick locks quicker, one can heal more...). If one of these characters die, they are gone forever. You can beat the game using only one character, but if everyone dies, time to reload or start over. You can even play in local co-op, with one person controlling the other student.

Game seems really stingy on healing items, at least early on. Also the saves are limited. It has some cool interaction where you can break glass for reasons (unlock a door, smash vending machines for healing, or even smash windows to bring sunlight in - though the sun goes down soon enough and that plan goes to shit).
fat

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #37538 on: October 12, 2021, 09:11:07 AM »
Featuring Sum 41 from the Warped Tour series! I hope it has Fat Lip playing on a non-stop loop. :rock
©@©™

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #37539 on: October 12, 2021, 11:31:10 AM »
I remember the second game being hilarious. Some guy described it as American Pie meets Silent Hill which seems apt.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #37540 on: October 12, 2021, 11:39:44 AM »
Featuring Sum 41 from the Warped Tour series! I hope it has Fat Lip playing on a non-stop loop. :rock

It's "Still Waiting" and it plays during the intro cutscene

Stan even looks like the same guy from The Faculty, lol

fat

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #37541 on: October 15, 2021, 03:34:36 PM »
FC6. It feels like I have played this game before. Powerful enigmatic baddie who just walks away from set pieces after dropping a grenade, soulless and heartless, and you only see him in cutscenes every 4 hours followed by having people tell you what to blow up over the radio. The characters are all the same scripted bullshit. Crazy weapons guy, fat bootlicker, the FAMILY IS EVERYTHING guy.

In Yara there are 3 areas:

Area 1:

"WE DON'T TRUST YOU"
(Kills 1500 people and steals a small country's GDP)
"VIVA DANI!!!!"

Go to Area 2:

"WE DON'T TRUST YOU"

oy

Some reason I am addicted to this crap. Helicopter piloting has been so well handled starting with FC4 and it makes it a joy to just overpower places with guns guns guns from the sky.
rub

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #37542 on: October 15, 2021, 03:53:25 PM »
i'm sticking with far cry 6 more than any other in the series for whatever reason, i usually drop them after 5 hours or so :anhuld

it's not even that different to any of the others
(ice)

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #37543 on: October 15, 2021, 04:52:38 PM »
it looks better, and you don't have to do all those inane sidequests and hit a completion amount to trigger story missions like far cry 5. hate that design. i probably won't bother playing fc6 because it sounds like it incorporates too many grindy rpg lite elements in a way i dislike in what should be an fps, in particular the constant ammo collection and crafting for different enemy types zzzz... but it seems like a return to form in many ways.
◕‿◕

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #37544 on: October 15, 2021, 05:31:24 PM »
I never change bullets, theres usually a mix of weak against either types anyway which makes it a waste of time.
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37545 on: October 15, 2021, 06:03:35 PM »
https://twitter.com/TalesofSeries/status/1449057517728894985

Still playing Tales of Arise, possibly the GOTY for me.

Even though it is not that different from other JRPG's it's just such an enjoyable game to play.
At about 40 hours and @ level 35 I believe I'm about to head for the final section of the game after what I assumed was the final section.  :doge
🤴

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #37546 on: October 16, 2021, 03:58:42 AM »
I never change bullets, theres usually a mix of weak against either types anyway which makes it a waste of time.

The bullet mechanic is silly but after a while it won't matter. Snipe snipe snipe. 
rub

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37547 on: October 16, 2021, 01:43:50 PM »
Started RE8, finally.

I love the setting, as i said i loved the Bloodborne setting pre-Lovecraft twist, so this is exactly up my alley.
The game however is kind of... bland.
I just finished the castle/House Dimitrescu (why they pronounce it "Dimitresc", btw? I always read it "Deemeetrescoo", like "Romanescoo"), and the three daughters were a complete push over, barely a boss fight, and even Lady D herself, was kind of tame as a stalker (barely tried to keep up with me) and her boss fight was finished pretty quickly, too.

In general you feel very little tension going around the castle, and you know, puzzles.... they are what they are in a RE game. :thinking

Hoping it picks up on that front, because otherwise i love the look of it.

Bebpo

« Reply #37548 on: October 16, 2021, 03:32:01 PM »
I mean it's not a tense survival horror game. It's an action FPS. It's not the greatest thing ever, but it's pretty fun and looks nice which is enough for it to get by. I think it's a good RE, probably somewhere in the middle-tier of RE game rankings.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #37549 on: October 16, 2021, 04:11:58 PM »
If you want a decent RE, CVX is available on Games With Gold right now
fat

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #37550 on: October 16, 2021, 04:29:18 PM »
Margs

paprikastaude

« Reply #37551 on: October 16, 2021, 06:15:37 PM »
Started RE8, finally.

I love the setting, as i said i loved the Bloodborne setting pre-Lovecraft twist, so this is exactly up my alley.
The game however is kind of... bland.
I just finished the castle/House Dimitrescu (why they pronounce it "Dimitresc", btw? I always read it "Deemeetrescoo", like "Romanescoo"), and the three daughters were a complete push over, barely a boss fight, and even Lady D herself, was kind of tame as a stalker (barely tried to keep up with me) and her boss fight was finished pretty quickly, too.

In general you feel very little tension going around the castle, and you know, puzzles.... they are what they are in a RE game. :thinking

Hoping it picks up on that front, because otherwise i love the look of it.

The game is better on hard, however hard mode also makes the opening too difficult on a first playthrough. So that kind of drags it down.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37552 on: October 16, 2021, 10:15:41 PM »
I mean it's not a tense survival horror game. It's an action FPS. It's not the greatest thing ever, but it's pretty fun and looks nice which is enough for it to get by. I think it's a good RE, probably somewhere in the middle-tier of RE game rankings.
I'm liking the game, as i said i dig the setting a lot.
I just don't think they balanced it very well, especially if you compare it to something like RE2remake, which is godly, especially in the first half.

As an action shooter it works even less for me, because you rarely have anything to even shoot at, let alone something interesting.
But now that i'm done with Beneviento, it seems to be picking up steam in terms of action, at least.
there's a big wolf monster stalking me that's quite scary, i just wish they would be a bit more relentless in the chase, like Mr.X was in RE2r.

I agree i should've probably started it on hard, but i guess i wasn't sure how much of a pain in the ass it was going to be.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #37553 on: October 16, 2021, 11:52:48 PM »
Still playing Tales of Arise, possibly the GOTY for me.

Even though it is not that different from other JRPG's it's just such an enjoyable game to play.
At about 40 hours and @ level 35 I believe I'm about to head for the final section of the game after what I assumed was the final section.  :doge

There's at least three different "final" sections, the end of this game never ends.
©@©™

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #37554 on: October 17, 2021, 09:52:01 AM »
i need to get back on tales

last time i played it i got to the part when they find the spaceship and were going to one of the other planets to whip some renan azz :shaq
[close]
(ice)

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #37555 on: October 18, 2021, 09:57:57 AM »
It's taken me several attempts to get into over the years, but I just finished Alpha Protocol over the course of like 2 days lol. Game feels hella jank *but* I think its a very cool concept. I hope Obsidian get another attempt at a SpyRPG at some point.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Bebpo

« Reply #37556 on: October 18, 2021, 03:01:39 PM »
Alpha Protocol is still my favorite Obsidian game.

The writing and the branching is amazing. The gameplay is fun jank MGS.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37557 on: October 18, 2021, 06:49:01 PM »
Platted Arise, up to Northwall in Actraiser Renaissance, and am just about to go fight the final boss in Dread.
After all those, gonna play Deltarune ch 2 :uguu and then go play some retro for a bit.
^_^

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #37558 on: October 19, 2021, 05:46:25 AM »
Metro Exodus looks so darn good on the Series X, holy moly. Awesome game so far, I played 2033 and Last Light and liked those a good deal so it's good to be back in this world

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #37559 on: October 19, 2021, 06:44:50 AM »
Alpha Protocol is still my favorite Obsidian game.

The writing and the branching is amazing. The gameplay is fun jank MGS.

Yeah the stealth aspects gave me major MGS vibes. Now I'm imagining a combination of the super fluid MGSV gameplay with obsidian writing  :drool
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀