Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3586857 times)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #37680 on: November 17, 2021, 06:49:15 PM »
Played more of Breakpoint.
Now that i also deactivated enemy markings (both on screen and minimap) the difficulty is finally right, decent amount of tension cleaning up camps, and in 3-star areas (the hardest available) you really get fucked up if spotted.
Nothing as fun as tac-shooters, too bad they're so rare (or competitive only).

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37681 on: November 18, 2021, 10:10:41 AM »
More Lunar: The Silver Star:

Even though it's been remade so many times, the original Sega CD version still holds up pretty well (though the PS1 version is the one to play). One thing that impressed me was the level of NPC detail - they'll react based on the plot happenings, it's like Trails yeaaaaars before Trails. Some parts in the early game were fairly punishing (where you just had Alex and a lot of monsters that are only weak to magic, a limited resource) but now that I have a full party I've been flying through the game. I'm getting ready to meet the Red Dragon in the Volcano now.
^_^

BikeJesus

« Reply #37682 on: November 18, 2021, 08:40:42 PM »
Halo infinite feels like old Halo(2,3) with a light Sprint. Looks like it, too. Will probably hit a million concurrent on Steam.

Between Forza Horizon 5, Age of Empires IV and HALO Infinite (so far) Microsoft is knocking it out of the park this year. I've heard good things about Psychonauts 2 as well.
Not to mention the stellar BC, GamePass and continued support for the Xbox One X and increased support for PC.

If they keep this up with all their first party output  :whew

Except for constant bullshit rumors, SMTV and Metroid Nintendo has been almost invisible this year.

Yeah, i only cancelled gamepass because it was a pain in the ass to get my Steam Controller to work. If they decouple it from their locked folder bullshit, I'll re-sub.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #37683 on: November 21, 2021, 01:42:41 AM »
So my partner and I downloaded Zuma because we needed a chill casual game to play because we got all the achievements in Peggle 2. Great game but holy shit the difficulty is insane? I understand this was a launch game for XBLA back in 05, did anyone manage to beat this shit? lol

Also playing Forza Horizon 5 which I also suck at. Can't win races and I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing wrong. I might need to adjust the assist stuff - and apparently you can upgrade the cars though which is something I missed. The GaaS is overwhelming and theres just so much shit on the map. I am enjoying the tourism side of things, just driving around and enjoying the sweet Series X graphics.

Beat The Ascent. Had some highs but man the gameplay loop was repetitive. Some of the weapons and abilities were clearly much better than the others so in the end you couldn't really make too many choices in playstyle. Spiderbots were OP. Just a couple cheevs to knock out for the 1k

I've downloaded Halo Infinite so I will jump online and get my ass kicked in that soon as well

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37684 on: November 21, 2021, 04:17:45 AM »
In Forza you need to master drifting.
A quick tap on the brakes and then slide through the corners.
Upgrading cars can also work but be mindful that you don't upgrade it to the next tier, which opponents will match.
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #37685 on: November 21, 2021, 06:27:08 AM »
Just turn on the brake lines. Half the time you don't even have to brake. Just let go of the gas before a corner. Then punch it again when you leave the corner.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #37686 on: November 21, 2021, 11:07:39 PM »
i dont drift unless it's asked for or accidentally and haven't been having problems on "above average", i drive manual and ride hard on engine braking at the last minute and taking corners pretty sketchy. i have lines on for braking because it indicates when there's a corner coming up more than anything when the tracks arent super well defined.

p sure driving manual/paddle shift (not manual with clutch) generally gets you ~5% faster in straights and can go hard in improving your cornering allowing entry and exit a little faster. game is made for manual racing imo, auto just doesnt feel right in forza. also rec driving from within the car to hit dem lines right, but maybe that's just me. my times are significantly worse in third person.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 11:20:26 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #37687 on: November 21, 2021, 11:25:32 PM »
pretty funny how you can exploit how the "AI" works on unbeatable (big time cheev tip at the beginning of the vid i'll try when i get home :p @sceneman)

« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 11:38:54 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #37688 on: November 22, 2021, 06:49:49 PM »
Played some Guardians of the Galaxy last night. Game seems pretty cool. I hated Avengers and found very little fun in it, but this seems up my alley.

I have a soft spot for videogames where characters never stop talkiing. Like I know that annoys some people, but I love it and feel it adds flavor to these repetitive videogames. Really enjoying the dialogue/VA. Combat reminds me of PS2 action games, which isn't a bad thing.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37689 on: November 22, 2021, 07:08:31 PM »
pretty funny how you can exploit how the "AI" works on unbeatable (big time cheev tip at the beginning of the vid i'll try when i get home :p @sceneman)

Yeah that's how the Forza Horizon AI works. That's also why the game actually becomes easier the longer you play.
Most people don't play all the events so the earlier races get harder as time goes by.
🤴

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37690 on: November 22, 2021, 10:01:18 PM »
So my partner and I downloaded Zuma because we needed a chill casual game to play because we got all the achievements in Peggle 2. Great game but holy shit the difficulty is insane? I understand this was a launch game for XBLA back in 05, did anyone manage to beat this shit? lol

Also playing Forza Horizon 5 which I also suck at. Can't win races and I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing wrong. I might need to adjust the assist stuff - and apparently you can upgrade the cars though which is something I missed. The GaaS is overwhelming and theres just so much shit on the map. I am enjoying the tourism side of things, just driving around and enjoying the sweet Series X graphics.

Beat The Ascent. Had some highs but man the gameplay loop was repetitive. Some of the weapons and abilities were clearly much better than the others so in the end you couldn't really make too many choices in playstyle. Spiderbots were OP. Just a couple cheevs to knock out for the 1k

I've downloaded Halo Infinite so I will jump online and get my ass kicked in that soon as well

TrueAchievements lists several 2% completion 'cheevos and one 1% in there.
Remember, this was an early Arcade title, so its 200GS is harder to achieve than most 1000GS from full retail titles.

Svejk

« Reply #37691 on: November 22, 2021, 11:15:35 PM »
More Lunar: The Silver Star:

Even though it's been remade so many times, the original Sega CD version still holds up pretty well (though the PS1 version is the one to play). One thing that impressed me was the level of NPC detail - they'll react based on the plot happenings, it's like Trails yeaaaaars before Trails. Some parts in the early game were fairly punishing (where you just had Alex and a lot of monsters that are only weak to magic, a limited resource) but now that I have a full party I've been flying through the game. I'm getting ready to meet the Red Dragon in the Volcano now.
Although still good, I vastly prefer the Sega CD's OST over both the Remakes' OST.  Vane's music still gives me chill bumps.

:preach
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 07:22:03 AM by Svejk »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37692 on: November 23, 2021, 06:13:24 PM »

Waiting for the cartels to blow up my Weeb car with a rocket launcher :trumps
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37693 on: November 23, 2021, 10:32:02 PM »
Finished the Mafia remake, finally.
All in all, it was a really good effort, the city looks amazing, hard to believe this is the same engine that ran Mafia 3; the driving grew on me and by the end i actually enjoyed it quite a bit.
The shooting is still the weak link, too arcadey and dated (ironically), and just all around not fun nor interesting.

I honestly played the original too many years ago to remember any specific story change they may have made (i know they did) but what is here works well enough, even though i still find the casting choice for Paulie extremely puzzling.

Unfortunately, it didn't really scratch that nostalgia itch as i was hoping, for some reason, but it was an enjoyable experience and there's a mod that adds a bunch of stuff to the free roam mode, that looks kind of interesting to play around with.

The main theme still gets me in the feels tho:

Especially in the opening city fly-over.

Playing this reminded me how much worse Mafia 2 and 3 were.  :doge

Bebpo

« Reply #37694 on: November 24, 2021, 12:06:12 AM »
In Trails of the Black/Kuro no Kiseki started the 2nd to last chapter (assuming final chapter is probably just the final dungeon). At 95 hours in now, probably another 30-40 hours left.

This game has been the most boring game I've played in my entire life. In 95 hours nothing at all has happened. It's slower than Trails in the Sky FC and triple the length. I've actually fallen asleep at least a dozen, if not two dozen nights while playing over the last two months.

But, finally in this chapter something happened and now suddenly seeing all the NPCs you've followed for 95 hours and locations and cultural worldbuilding react to there actually being story is...pretty good and the game is fairly compelling now.

It still does not excuse wasting the players time for 90+ hours of nothing. Falcom really fucking sucks at this, but it does hit the right notes when things come together because of their method of madness.

Kinda looking forward to this chapter and the final chapter. Feels actually compelling for the first time since the intro.

Bebpo

« Reply #37695 on: November 24, 2021, 03:27:09 AM »
Also the problem with these games being 2-game stories that are 100+ hours each is stuff like characters actually starting to introduce their issues that would normally happen mid-story doesn't even start until 100 hours into game #1 which feels so late. The structure of Trails games even since Cold Steel has just been a mess.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #37696 on: November 24, 2021, 03:48:55 AM »
Why the fuck are you still playing them if they put you to sleep... What's wrong with you?

The end doesn't even sound like it's worth it. Straight up stockholm syndrome the videogame.

Bebpo

« Reply #37697 on: November 24, 2021, 12:14:04 PM »
yes

naff

« Reply #37698 on: November 24, 2021, 05:12:40 PM »
 :tocry

i find it hard to put more than 50hrs into an rpg even when i really like it. the amount of time games try to demand is fucking insane
◕‿◕

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #37699 on: November 24, 2021, 06:09:42 PM »
I find it hard to put more than 5 hours into any game these days. Unless it's something I can put down and then pick up again two months later and still know what I'm doing, I just won't be able to play it.
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37700 on: November 24, 2021, 06:16:33 PM »
I find it hard to put more than 5 hours into any game these days. Unless it's something I can put down and then pick up again two months later and still know what I'm doing, I just won't be able to play it.
I would like it if most games had a start menu option to “replay tutorial“ without having to risk starting a new game and wiping out your old save.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37701 on: November 24, 2021, 06:49:34 PM »
I was surprised to see that in my Xbox Museum one of my top 5 most played games was Tales of Arise.

My most played game was Assassins Creed Odyssey which isn't strange considering it's a massive timesink.
Same for Banjo Nuts & Bolts which came in second. But I played some other games quite a bit that I doubt at the time the play time was recorded for.
🤴

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37702 on: November 24, 2021, 08:56:25 PM »
Nuts and Bolts is the best Lego game ever.

Bebpo

« Reply #37703 on: November 24, 2021, 11:02:37 PM »
Why the fuck are you still playing them if they put you to sleep... What's wrong with you?

The end doesn't even sound like it's worth it. Straight up stockholm syndrome the videogame.

Anyhow, the real talk is that Trails is essentially an epic fantasy book series in the game medium. I'm already 700 hours+, 10 games in committed to the on-going story so for a while I will put up with mediocre time waster entries until I finally bail or the story finishes.

If this was a book series, it'd be around book #11 now and it's been kind of bloated and shit since ~book #7 and only the diehard fans still stick around reading the bloated things while most people have already bailed from the series.

Only difference is that instead of likelihood of the author dying before it's finished, there is a likelihood of the game developer going out of business before it's finished.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #37704 on: November 24, 2021, 11:52:54 PM »
So, it's The Wheel of Time and the original creator is about due to die soon and be replaced by Brandon Sanderson?

Edit: Posted my reply without reading your last paragraph. Lol.
Spud

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37705 on: November 25, 2021, 10:40:11 AM »
Heh, speaking about Trails, I've been playing Tokyo Xanadu. Which is definitely a "b-tier" game, it's rather low budget but it has its charms. I like how it's basically modern day Trails, and it's nice that all the plot threads/character arks are gonna get wrapped up in this one game. I just finished the 4th chapter. Favorite npc is a Polish weeb chick :uguu

I also beat Land of Illusion for Master System which is one of the best Mickey Mouse games ever. The level design 'borrows' quite a bit from Mario World, Mega Man 2, etc but there are lots of places where the game really becomes its own thing and has some interesting level design/puzzles. Easily a top 5 SMS game.

And beat Magic of Scheherazade (that final boss was obnoxious!), and up to the final battle(s) in Lunar: Silver Star.
^_^

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37706 on: November 28, 2021, 02:04:38 PM »
Played some Red Alert Remastered, specifically the Allied campaign

The soundtrack :lawd

The mission design  :delicious

Tanya :uguu
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37707 on: November 28, 2021, 05:01:16 PM »
NFSU3  8)

🤴

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37708 on: November 29, 2021, 03:33:32 PM »
I beat Magic of Scheherazade and Lunar: The Silver Star, and then spent most of the vacation playing Tokyo Xanadu. Just made it to chapter 7.

Scheharazade - as I said before, has a ton of interesting ideas for its early (1987!) Japanese release date. A unique theme, some time travel, randomized solar eclipses that affect the # of items you can get, a mix between action RPG and command based battles, large full-screen boss encounters, a host of 11 recruitable characters you can use in battle. But damn, the final boss was BULLSHIT with an insta-kill attack. The weakest point of this game are the BS boss fights, where they just move around randomly with no rhyme or reason and you just have to keep firing your wand aimlessly and hope for the best. There are some places where it's not super clear what you're supposed to do so it's recommended to use a guide (I leaned on FlyingOmelette's quite heavily) but I highly recommend it to fans of NES gaming who have already played through Crystalis, Faxanadu, and the Zelda games.

Lunar: The Silver Star - Those final few dungeons definitely dragged ass, the Grindery in particular felt like a Phantasy Star 2 dungeon in terms of complexity and length. With a high encounter rate and battles that you can't run from, I felt super overpowered by the end of the game, so the final battles were a cakewalk (I remember Ghaleon being MUCH more difficult in the PS1 game). The economy is also weird, for the first 3/5 of the game you feel like weapons and armor are way too expensive, so you either hope you find good loot in the dungeon or save up for a few pieces of good armor... but then about 3/5 of the way through the game you're introduced to a shop with the best armor that you can outright purchase, so once you buy that there's literally nothing else to buy for the final 2/5 of the game, where dungeons are at their longest, encounter rate is at its steepest, and enemies drop the most gold. The best healing items will be given to you for free right before you go to the final sequence of dungeons.
Tokyo Xanadu has filled a bit of gap for me this year, as I've exhausted most of Falcom's US-released library (okay, still need to do the original TG-CD Dragon Slayer, and Zwei 1... I'll skip Brandish SNES and the PSP Gagharv's though :P ) and am eagerly awaiting the 4 upcoming Trails releases. The way it uses a similar UI and font and even some systems makes it feel like a modern day take on CS, even right down to having Towa. I love all the little cameos and references to past Falcom games - seeing a reference to "First Steps Toward Wars", the iconic Ys 1 song, on the back of Yuuki's hoodie made me smile.

Of course, it feels like Persona, Cold Steel, and Zwei 2 had a baby - the dungeons, although repetitive, are kinda neat on how they're bite-sized and have performance grades so you're encouraged to speed run. The combat feels clunkier than Ys but at the same time, much less mashy (definitely more Zwei 2 than Ys). Enemies hit HARD although they have obvious patterns and telegraphs to their moves, so you're encouraged to dodge and play a bit defensively. Some of the boss fights were pretty epic, though the witch boss fight at the end of chapter 5 was terribly-designed... unfortunately the camera just doesn't work when you're in a tight space with multiple large enemies around. Each character feels familiar enough to use but has their own subtle unique style, so I like using most instead of sticking with one or two I like best, which is typical of me for the genre. I also like how there are limited movesets instead of having bloated movelists most you don't even bother with (i.e. modern Ys), the orbment system for Trails feels kinda bolted on in this one however, but the limited # of orbment slots and challenging gameplay makes it a bit more important to think about what orbments you might need.

The story is, ehh... it feels very low stakes even at chapter 7 and definitely has that anime series feel where everything is a small contained story. And even many of the story beats feel like a warmed over rehash of Persona 4 (fog engulfing the town, missing villagers, pop idol with issues). Each chapter has the same formulaic progression, which does get tiring but even with playing practically nonstop last week I don't really feel all too burnt out yet. I do like some of the NPCs (especially cool to see someone from Poland in the game) and it definitely has the Trails thing going on where you talk to them every day and they say something new. However, I can't really get into those typical high school student NPC substories of like someone on the track team unable to get past their plateau. The intermission at the hot spring seriously DRAGGED ASS as well.

But oh man, the music kicks a lot of ass. Feels very CSish (and a few songs even remind me of Blue Destination). I especially love this particular dungeon theme, some LTJ Bukem vibes with this one:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 03:42:42 PM by tiesto »
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #37709 on: November 29, 2021, 05:25:16 PM »
I miss good music like that in Trails games...

Kuro has some good tracks, but that style of music has been lost by Falcom's Trails composers at this point. These are probably the best you're gonna get out of Kuro besides some nice soft sad piano tracks that are good.

Tokyo Xanadu comes together pretty well story-wise in the true ending. Found it very satisfying and made me want a TX2 but the game didn't sell well enough to do it :(  TX1 definitely sets up the world lore in a way to have bigger and more interesting sequels.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 06:43:43 PM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #37710 on: November 29, 2021, 05:29:20 PM »
I'm in the final chapter in Kuro right now ~130 hours in. Lotta NPC talky left and then final dungeon stuff. Guessing it'll be around 150 hours, or about 30 hours longer than CS4 was. Hajimari was like 90-100 and shorter than CS3/4.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37711 on: November 29, 2021, 06:54:04 PM »

This classic Lamborghini  :whew
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #37712 on: December 01, 2021, 10:57:35 PM »
140 hours+ and finished Trails of Kuro/Black

It was bad

Like it got good in the chapter before the final chapter after 90s hours of slice of life zzz and then you'd expect the final chapter to be even better since if there's one thing the franchise has done well it's exciting final chapters with lots of twists and turns and character showdowns. But...this was the worst final chapter they've done in the series. Not only is the story stuff bad, but it's a ton of repetitive stuff that basically feels like work for 15-20 hours to get to the final battles and then they're pretty weak story-wise.

Getting real close to bailing on this series. I think Kuro #1 overall is worse than Cold Steel 4 and the weakest game in the franchise even if the plot is a bit less stupid than CS4. CS has better characters than Kuro so far imo, both in the main cast and support cast. Locations are nice in Kuro but there aren't a ton of them and you spend more time in them instead. A lot fewer mysteries and excitement in Kuro and more slice of life focus. Plus weaker music.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37713 on: December 02, 2021, 11:07:03 AM »
Shame to hear about Kuro, Bebs... I've heard from some people that it was kinda getting the series back on track after CS4 and Hajimari, but guess not. How's the gameplay and the changes to the battle system?
Kinda wish Falcom went back to making shorter, more fast-paced, less story intensive games i.e. Zwei and the pre-7 Ys.
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #37714 on: December 02, 2021, 01:01:10 PM »
Kuro 2 will come out and Bebpo will play another 200 hours and be like "you know, this is kind of good! maybe i had nihon falcom all wrong. haha i'm so silly"
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #37715 on: December 02, 2021, 02:28:24 PM »
Shame to hear about Kuro, Bebs... I've heard from some people that it was kinda getting the series back on track after CS4 and Hajimari, but guess not. How's the gameplay and the changes to the battle system?
Kinda wish Falcom went back to making shorter, more fast-paced, less story intensive games i.e. Zwei and the pre-7 Ys.

I thought the battle system was bad for the first half, so about 60-70 hours. Fights would take a few turns instead of being quick almost one-shot battles like the previous games.

But by the last 25% the combat is all one-shots and boss fights are fun, but honestly it feels exactly the same as the Cold Steel battles. I'd have to go back and play some of Hajimari to notice the difference. They changed the names of a few sub-systems but almost all are equivalents to older ones. It's pretty fun, but basically they locked a lot of the good fun battle stuff behind quartz skills which you don't unlock until you have the higher end quartz in the back half.

Like the biggest change imo is the turn order and AT bonuses. Instead the AT bonuses being tied to a position in the turn queue, it's tied to a character's next turn. So even if a character moves around the turn queue, their AT bonus sticks with them. That means if a boss has a critical AT bonus coming up, no matter how much you delay their turn when they have their turn they will still have a critical.

Then at the very end of the game you can put a skill on people that lets you steal an AT bonus from an enemy upon hitting them with like 30% success rate which you can boost up to around 90%. So finally you can start to manipulate the turn queue AT bonuses a bit, but you can't change the bonuses on your side though there's a quartz skill that increases the chance a random AT bonus will appear on your character by +90%.

But gone are the days of waiting for a critical turn to come up and S-craft shortcutting a character onto it for maximum damage.

I'm not a big fan of this change and think it overall makes for a less strategic and fun battle system, but by the end when you can at least steal AT bonuses it's mostly fine and still fun.

Also you can switch in characters with no penalty. This is a slight balance of the fact that bosses still do the bullshit turn queue skipping at 25%/50%/75% HP drops where they say a little dialogue and suddenly their turn is next and they are S-crafting everyone to death even though you've planned your shielding and healing on the position in the queue they were a second ago. Especially if the boss has a critical AT bonuses they are bringing with them, then you can either switch in someone to shield or survive w/large HP pool or someone with the AT bonuses stealer skill to at least steal the critical (though you could miss, especially if you don't have any boosts and it's only 30% chance).

The other big change is how shields work. Half your party have shield crafts which shield everyone within an AoE area. Instead of shields just blocking all damage for 1 or 2 hits, they add a 2nd HP bar which is drained before your main HP bar. This feels pretty similar to how shields work in an MMO and basically just give extra HP.

Now for 90% of the game this makes your party invincible because with the extra shielded HP, normal enemies aren't going to hit hard enough to even get into your real HP pools. But on the other hand, against the later bosses, their S-crafts will instant wipe your whole team without shields because they do more damage than your max HP pools, so with shields maybe you all survive with most of your HP or half your HP left and then can re-shield and heal your base HPs. But then when the final bosses spam S-craft every turn it gets a bit tricky >_<

Again, this feels like a balance change for just changing things up and I don't think it's a great change since like I just said it makes your party invincible for 90% of the game and then becomes a requirement for a dozen boss fights towards the end.

Otherwise there's a bit more positioning, which is a positive. The links are a bit better handled and the sub-systems are fine. I'm hoping they make a few more tweaks and add some more sub-systems to make the battle system great in the next game. It's close and every game they add a few more things so it could get there.

Bebpo

« Reply #37716 on: December 02, 2021, 03:35:33 PM »
Oh and there's also zero mini-games. No card battlers, no fishing, no nothing. I'm assuming this was a time crunch thing and they'll add all of that to the sequel. There's a casino/gambling in multiple cities so that makes sense to add next game, plus there are NPCs that fish and fishing has been in every Trails game except this one so I think they'll add it.

Hopefully they add some racing mini-games since Calvard is all about cars and the story has lots of car scenes but you never get to control/drive a car.

Bebpo

« Reply #37717 on: December 02, 2021, 05:16:06 PM »
Though to be fair, western players are about to get a bunch of Trails goodness that will sell them back on the franchise.

The top games in the Trails series are: Sky the 3rd, Trails of Zero, Trails of Azure, Hajimari (Trails of the Reverie). The next 3 western releases are Zero/Azure/Hajimari. I think people will really enjoy them and get sold back on the series and then when Kuro/Black hits they'll be back on the wtf is this shit that was Cold Steel.

Japan release order has had a more consistent decline in the series over the last decade with Hajimari being the exception because it was made by another team that actually took some risks in gameplay & narrative design.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37718 on: December 02, 2021, 11:12:49 PM »
Though to be fair, western players are about to get a bunch of Trails goodness that will sell them back on the franchise.

The top games in the Trails series are: Sky the 3rd, Trails of Zero, Trails of Azure, Hajimari (Trails of the Reverie). The next 3 western releases are Zero/Azure/Hajimari. I think people will really enjoy them and get sold back on the series and then when Kuro/Black hits they'll be back on the wtf is this shit that was Cold Steel.

Japan release order has had a more consistent decline in the series over the last decade with Hajimari being the exception because it was made by another team that actually took some risks in gameplay & narrative design.

I'm actually surprised about all the love for Sky 3rd with Trails fans. I thought by the time I played 1 and 2, the game had way too much asset reuse and the dungeon crawling style with (albeit some real interesting) mini stories didn't work for me as much as the more traditional Trails format - go to new region with a hub town, solve problems that slowly reveal the main objective, move on.

I was really hyped for Kuro because some of the environment screens made it seem like this game would have a much more diverse set of biomes than what was in Liberl/Crossbell/Erebonia.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #37719 on: December 02, 2021, 11:53:40 PM »
I'm actually surprised about all the love for Sky 3rd with Trails fans. I thought by the time I played 1 and 2, the game had way too much asset reuse and the dungeon crawling style with (albeit some real interesting) mini stories didn't work for me as much as the more traditional Trails format - go to new region with a hub town, solve problems that slowly reveal the main objective, move on.

I was really hyped for Kuro because some of the environment screens made it seem like this game would have a much more diverse set of biomes than what was in Liberl/Crossbell/Erebonia.

I liked 3rd because the story was interesting, the doors had some really good quality stories and dividing the game up simply between dungeon crawling gameplay (which had better gameplay than Sky FC/SC) and story scenes (which had good story focus) that you could do in your own order really helped the pacing.

Hajimari is similar. If you feel in the mood for dungeon crawling fun gameplay you can do that. If you want to watch a good story in a door you can do that. These games have awful pacing in general so letting the player control the pacing improves it. Plus like 3rd, Hajimari has the best gameplay in the CS series.

Bebpo

« Reply #37720 on: December 02, 2021, 11:56:45 PM »
Anyhow even if you don't like 3rd you should like Hajimari because not only does it have dungeon crawling and doors but it has a full traditional narrative game with 3 routes like Suikoden III that you change between on the fly. You essentially get your cake and eat it. Great game and Kuro is a very large step back from it.

Bebpo

« Reply #37721 on: December 03, 2021, 03:28:04 AM »
Started playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and this is...better than I had expected this series to be. This is pretty fun for a simple brawler, the boss fights and patterns are actually fun to dodge and lots of characters already. Even the grind seems pretty fun like a good musou. Actually seems like it might be worth the $40 black friday price.

Also playing Guardians of the Galaxy and a few chapters in it's pretty great. Very pleasant surprise and looks fantastic tech-wise. The writing & VA are so good. The VA that does Rocket is amazing.

Good Marvel fun. Would try out Spider-Man in Avengers but that means redownloading Avengers and having to play Avengers.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37722 on: December 04, 2021, 07:34:10 AM »
Finished the Allied Campaign of the Red Alert remake.

After all these years I discovered Tanya in the indoor Missile Silo mission that I could never complete (and that the timer depends on the previous mission).
Interesting how all those classic FPS games had these indoor MOBA-like missions (Warcraft 2 / Starcraft / Red Alert etc.)
Overall I'm just better at scoping out the map events than I was as a kid and there's a lot of hidden stuff in the missions to make them easier. Some missions are less strategy but more like a puzzle.

The soundtrack was made for these Edifier speakers, holy shit. The cinematics and story, certainly on the Allied side with the exception of the Tanya stuff less interesting than the original C&C.
I think the overall issue is that after they do Einstein killing Hitler and give you Tanya (arguably the best unit in any RTS ever) everything else is just not as interesting.

Also playing Guardians of the Galaxy and a few chapters in it's pretty great. Very pleasant surprise and looks fantastic tech-wise. The writing & VA are so good. The VA that does Rocket is amazing.
Hearing good stuff about this. I never figured this would be the 'good product' this holiday season. Reminds of that EA Star Wars game that was better than anyone expected.
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #37723 on: December 04, 2021, 07:42:46 AM »
Hearing good stuff about this. I never figured this would be the 'good product' this holiday season. Reminds of that EA Star Wars game that was better than anyone expected.

Intertoys had it at 30 euros for the Black Friday thing they had. Maybe you can snag it at that price again around Christmas.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37724 on: December 04, 2021, 09:16:33 AM »

Intertoys had it at 30 euros for the Black Friday thing they had. Maybe you can snag it at that price again around Christmas.
Yeah it sold out quickly but that means it won't stay at 60 for very long.
Probably 30 by early next year as with most Square Enix titles that aren't RPG's.
Not a lot of Christmas sales happening this year, outside of digital.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #37725 on: December 05, 2021, 10:01:10 PM »
Playing FF4 Pixel Remaster today and like almost midway through already? Haven't played original FF4 in 20-30 years, though I played the DS remake when it came out. Game is pretty weird gameplay-wise with your party constantly shuffling. You have times with like 1 melee and 3 mages and magic seems to incredibly outperform melee (melee doing like 150-200 damage while spells doing 300-1,200 damage for ~ra and ~ga).

Story/music/art still enjoyable and man this game moves at a crazy quick pace. But yeaaah, the gameplay feels worse than FF1-3 PR so far on replays. It's like the FF13 equivalent where it's so on-rails there's not much of a feeling of doing anything gameplay-wise.

Svejk

« Reply #37726 on: December 06, 2021, 12:39:45 PM »
Been finally making good progress in Monster Hunter World.  Now that my daughter and I can play together, it's like a night and day difference on making progress.  I totally see now why this franchise, and this entry in particular, has been so popular.  Totally breathed new life into it for me.  Got the Iceborne DLC last month, but still haven't gotten my HR high enough yet to even access it. lol  Holy crap this game has some content!   And runs like a dream on PS5 too.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 11:54:56 PM by Svejk »

Bebpo

« Reply #37727 on: December 08, 2021, 12:30:09 AM »
Man, I forgot that FF4 is just as death happy as FF2. Since they don't have the ability to make your party in both games they just keep killing your characters to open slots for new ones. It's pretty hilarious.

Game is still fun though. Just cleared Tower of Babel in the PR version and it's a memorable enough location/story bit that I actually remembered it from the DS and original.

Bebpo

« Reply #37728 on: December 09, 2021, 12:47:52 AM »
Finished FF4 Pixel Remaster

Game was alright. It was the first jrpg I ever played and pretty much the game that got me into rpgs in the first place. Definitely was groundbreaking at the time and sets a lot of the foundation for the modern cutscene-heavy linear rpgs.

That said, the game is a bit boring. The gameplay is zzz and the story/characters are a bit shallow and short. Some fun bits, nice music, nice art, but I think the first hour or two of the game is the strongest part of it. I preferred FF1/2/3 over this on this replay in Pixel Remaster form.

I never played The After Years, now that I've just refreshed on FF4's plot & characters I wonder if I should give it a try.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37729 on: December 09, 2021, 09:54:37 AM »
FF4's always a game that I have a fondness for - as a kid it was my all time favorite, and I love just how... simple it is. No worry about convoluted systems, bosses have that classic FF "puzzle" design, no dungeons or plot threads really drag on for too long (well, the end dungeon is a bit long), the constantly-revolving party each with their own varied skillsets and stats keeps you on your toes, the music was mindblowing for the time and still gives me the nostalgia tingles, and the game overall isn't that large (like less than 25 hours to get everything) while still feeling satisfying.

After Years is absolute junk, I don't recommend it. It reuses way too many dungeons from FF4 (although there are the occasional new dungeon/new section to dungeons), the story feels like an amateur making a sequel to FF4 using RPGMaker and asset packs, the difficulty level was upped tremendously, and there's tons of filler content. One of the chapters, for one of the twins, was the worst, as it had you navigating back and forth through the underground waterway no less than 3 times.

Anyways - I beat the main game of Tokyo Xanadu... but I still have the epilogue chapter, an additional epilogue (reminds me of CS2 where they kept on having epilogues after the main game completed), and then I'm gonna do a quick NG+ run where I skip all the plot and quests so I can get some trophies. My opinions of the game haven't really changed since I last spoke of it - the final 2 chapters of the main game started to up the number and length of dungeons a bit, but since the dungeons were still pretty short it wasn't so bad (now I'm spending 25 minutes in a dungeon instead of 12? That's fine...)
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #37730 on: December 09, 2021, 01:48:44 PM »
It's even shorter than 25 hours in the non-3d versions. Like my game time clear was ~13 hours and my real life time was ~9 hours since I use 1.5x gamespeed hack for most of it. It's a really short ass game. Even FF1 took me longer in the Pixel Remaster ~10 hours real life time.

I remember loving the 3d version on DS that completely changed the game in both story (expanding the narrative and good cutscene direction w/voice acting) and gameplay (making it more like a Shin Megami Tensei game about buffs/debuffs & weakpoints). Replaying the original basically SNES/SFC version here with PR I think every decision the 3d version made in that remake was the right one. The game is a nostalgic classic, but it's too simple, easy and dated and doesn't hold up. Improving the narrative and gameplay is exactly what FF4 needs to be better modern game though 12-15 years later since the DS version idk how well that version even holds up.

If I ever replayed FF4 again though I'd replay the 3d version. I watched this video last night and apparently the steam/android release of FF4 3D nerfed the difficulty from the DS and hard mode is closer to the original DS experience.

I'd almost like to play the PSP version because some of the enemy spritework is fantastic and way better than even the pixel remaster, but I really don't like how the characters look and the size of the enemy sprites (like goblins being GIANT SPRITES) just looks weird to me. It's a very mish-mash art direction but some of the redone higher resolution sprite-work is amazing.

« Reply #37731 on: December 11, 2021, 02:30:49 AM »
Playing La-Mulana and I'm kind of enjoying the exploration and having to dig around to find which area to progress to next. But the boss fights really blow, there is only so many times I can tolerate dying before quitting. At least this version has the quick continue, can't imagine having to put up with this if I had to start back from the save point every time.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37732 on: December 11, 2021, 08:57:02 PM »
Playing La-Mulana and I'm kind of enjoying the exploration and having to dig around to find which area to progress to next. But the boss fights really blow, there is only so many times I can tolerate dying before quitting. At least this version has the quick continue, can't imagine having to put up with this if I had to start back from the save point every time.
A friend of mine singlehandedly did the PSVita port for that game. It seems like a monumental feat to me. After that, he quit the company and started his own studio; decided if he was going to work that hard, it might as well be to make money for himself.

Svejk

« Reply #37733 on: December 13, 2021, 06:24:16 PM »
Just got past the Voodoo boys quest in the Mall/Cinema in CP2077.    Find myself putting more into quickhacks.  I want to buy some rides, but feel I need to upgrade my cyberware first and foremost.  This game is so freakin good!  :lawd

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #37734 on: December 14, 2021, 12:35:56 PM »
Finished The Artful Escape. Besides the cool visuals it really didn't have a lot going for it.

For a game about a musician the soundtrack wasn't really all that strong either. They keep repeating the same rock opera stuff with a whiny guitar for almost the entire duration of the game. It just becomes noise at some point. The only music I actually enjoyed was the folk song at the start.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #37735 on: December 14, 2021, 02:29:22 PM »
https://switch.nintendo.com/year-in-review/

I'll try to finish SMT and Pokeman by the end of the year.
©@©™

archnemesis

« Reply #37736 on: December 15, 2021, 04:51:13 AM »
My top 3 Switch games this year were:
  • Picross S6
  • Picross Mega Drive
  • Metroid Dread

I also need to get back to Shin Megami Tensei V. I got side tracked by Total Warhammer 2 and Loop Hero. Both are great!

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #37737 on: December 15, 2021, 05:19:59 AM »
It gave me:

-Monster Hunter Rise: 46 hours
-Minecraft: 31 hours
-No More Heroes 3: 24 hours

Mostly been clearing shorter games from my backlog this year.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37738 on: December 15, 2021, 05:26:41 PM »
Game I played the most was the recent Story of Seasons game, played about 44 hours or so.
dog

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #37739 on: December 15, 2021, 06:15:18 PM »
Great Ace attorney was my number one at about 40 hours. That was about it, without my commute there's no reason to play this thing really except for smt 5.

Oh my God aliens fire team fucking sucks, what a bland and terrible looking game especially when you put it next to isolation