Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3600941 times)

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #37800 on: January 17, 2022, 07:39:30 PM »
It was ok. Suitably short, and I certainly don't care for the shooting gallery sequences nearly as much as the story and exploration driven events with some light action thrown in. Guarma kinda rushed through an area with action setpieces I would've liked to explore and develop more of a connection with before bailing, but it makes sense in context why they did that. I enjoy the combat in RDR about on par with Uncharted 4's tps style and that's the only really comparable game I've played lately. I don't really rate Uncharted's gunplay that highly, best on low difficulty as the stop and pop gameplay on higher difficulties with unwieldy aiming is pretty boring, best to swing and run your way through without care for that. RDR2s aim assist shootin gallery style is ok, but if it's shooting had more of the tactile thrill of japanese TPS like Binary Domain and Vanquish or something meatier like Gears it would be a much better game. I don't know how you'd achieve that in a game like RDR, but the action feels a bit sterile and repetitive. Lacking something to make it more interesting. It especially starts to stand out in this latter half where it focusses on it so much. I keep thinking it just needed to give you some more abilities beyond upgrading dead eye, or different paths down which to upgrade dead eye. It's already got so many rpg lite mechanics, they could've expanded on this just a little bit and the ludonarrative dissonance is already so high why not give arthur/john some more ridiculous gun abilities with which to destroy your enemies and make things more strategic. Dead Eye and the aim assist is so strong as it is I rarely have to use cover.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 07:43:56 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #37801 on: January 17, 2022, 07:50:48 PM »
I absolutely love the exploration and story driven events in RDR. First halfs story was fantastic. Would love a more emergent gameplay structured RDR like a Rockstar developed New Vegas. An overarching plot but you effectively direct you and your gangs trajectory in how they navigate surviving the wild west.
◕‿◕

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37802 on: January 17, 2022, 08:10:29 PM »
I need to play New Vegas. I worked with a great guy who came from that team; it's amazing how revered that game is despite its bugs, and the insanely short development schedule they were allowed.

Svejk

« Reply #37803 on: January 17, 2022, 08:18:41 PM »
Kotor 2 - This one kinda sucks when compared to Kotor 1, doesn't it... Just shuttled down to that Moon still searching for the Ebon Hawk.  Story just seems... boring so far.  Not sure if it's a super slow burn, but it needs to drop some engaging twists sooner than later.

Baldurs Gate 2 - Finally got my BG1 character transferred and started a campaign (Shadows of Ahmn).  Definitely see a difference in writing.  Even though Im still working my way out the prison/lab, seems more an interesting story already than Kotor 2.

DQ V (DS) - Finally got past where I was stuck.  Just got married and have a ship to sail around the map with.  I'm assuming I'm nearing the end of the first generation.  Been making want to pick up DQ11 again and finally finish the 4th world in DQ Builders so I can get to Builders 2.

naff

« Reply #37804 on: January 17, 2022, 08:22:24 PM »
I need to play New Vegas. I worked with a great guy who came from that team; it's amazing how revered that game is despite its bugs, and the insanely short development schedule they were allowed.

on my recent playthrough the amount of mods i installed just to stop the random crashes and questline bugs was hilarious. then there was a brotherhood of steel sidequest where i got stuck, but disabling the mods and loading up the save unbroke it... but continuing past there without the mods i started getting random crashes again so i reenabled them  :lol game is still incredible though, fallout 3 is amazing too for different reasons. not actually sure which i prefer. generally i go for a "vanilla" experience but use mods for bug fixes and maybe some texture packs
◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #37805 on: January 17, 2022, 09:53:18 PM »

Pretty much the best crpg since 3d crpgs became a thing (aka post-Oblivion CRPG era). It's short and great and you should definitely check it out.

Bebpo

« Reply #37806 on: January 17, 2022, 09:58:12 PM »

Started playing Spookware and I realized why the fuck haven't more indie games copied Warioware/Rhythm Tengoku/Heaven? Like it's a great concept and it's not like there's a lot of competition in the genre of microgames lately.

So yeah having a new unlicensed Warioware game is pretty cool. Coming from WW I've only got a few complaints:

-You have to do a walk around adventure game segment each chapter before you get to the warioware back to back mini-games part. The adventure is fine and has mini-games throughout it and its short and the dialogue is trying real hard to be charming like Undertale but it's nowhere near as well written.

-The microgame marathons feel a bit off. Did warioware make you go through 9 microgames -> boss each set? It feels longer so if you die it can get a little tedious.

Otherwise the microgames seem almost/just as good as Warioware stuff. So it's a pretty good replacement.

Also this is that Monlith game I was posting about last night. I know some of you are real into rogues, so if you're into rogues and shmups, you would very much like this one:

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #37807 on: January 17, 2022, 11:52:14 PM »
Finished Lost Judgment

Much better than the original!

- No dumbass Keihin Gang
- No mortal damage
- Hell of a lot less of Tailing (though it's there)
- Goofy stealth bits that are dumb but again minimal

- School Stories pretty much takes up majority of the game, though this is 100% optional side content

- Nice Yakuza 7 cameos
fat

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #37808 on: January 18, 2022, 07:59:46 PM »
Big back compat sale on Xbox. Picked up Bully and Asura's.

Bully is holy shit good.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37809 on: January 18, 2022, 11:06:36 PM »
Big back compat sale on Xbox. Picked up Bully and Asura's.

Bully is holy shit good.
BULLY is st00pid good. I've finished it on PS2, 360, and am playing it intermittently on PS5 now. I tried it on PC prior to my current HP OMEN rig and it did not run well at all. :lol

IIRC, much of that development team went on to make Sleeping Dogs.

naff

« Reply #37810 on: January 18, 2022, 11:45:46 PM »
sleeping doggs ruled. need to play bully
◕‿◕

Svejk

« Reply #37811 on: January 18, 2022, 11:47:08 PM »
Got to the 3rd generation in DQV.  This is the furthest I've gotten in a DQ game other than Builders.  The story's been pretty fun and touches on certain feels.  Other than DQXI, what are some other must play DQ entries?

Bebpo

« Reply #37812 on: January 19, 2022, 12:25:51 AM »
Got to the 3rd generation in DQV.  This is the furthest I've gotten in a DQ game other than Builders.  The story's been pretty fun and touches on certain feels.  Other than DQXI, what are some other must play DQ entries?

Play 4 next, then 6.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37813 on: January 19, 2022, 09:57:17 AM »

My first recs for newcomers to DQ (after 5 of course):
8 - Showed RPGs of the PS2 era how it's done, really impressive "open world" world map and super-charming characters, even if the story is a bit simple compared to some of the other DQ games
3 (though you might want to wait a bit for the HD2D remake) - this is where the series really took off in Japan and set the standard for so many RPGs to follow.
4 (I prefer the NES version to the English DS version - I hate the overdone accents in the DS localization) - I like the chapter based setup a whole lot. The NES version ranks just below Phantasy Star as the best 8-bit RPG for me.

After those, if you're still down for more:
1 - it's charming in its total barebones simplicity, but it only takes a few hours to power through, a good 'appetizer' game and worth it to experience one of the most important and influential games ever.
7 - the total opposite of 1 in that it's a monster of a game. Extremely long and involved (one of the longest RPGs up until some of the Cold Steel games), but with some of the best and most heartfelt mini scenarios in the series. Also one of the more difficult games, at least in the original PS1 edition.
6 - kinda similar to 7 in that it's long, difficult, with a grindy job system and some good mini scenarios. The SNES version is better due to its attractive pixel graphics, but the fan translation of that isn't 100% complete (most of the way there) and still has some issues.

Was meh on these:
2 - far too grindy and poorly designed, too many spots where you have no idea how to proceed (except if you're using a guide). The first DQ with multiple party members but the other 2 aren't very useful.
9 - didn't particularly care for this one, it felt very dated and in some ways, a big step back from 8 - probably being that it was made for a much weaker system than the PS2 (the DS). Also it lacks any type of characterization in favor of a 3-esque recruitable party, and the scenarios aren't nearly as memorable as the others. Back in the day there was a big multiplayer component and streetpass type stuff but this has been offline for a while. I never got into that but it was a big part of the game.
^_^

Svejk

« Reply #37814 on: January 19, 2022, 11:28:28 AM »

Play 4 next, then 6.

My first recs for newcomers to DQ (after 5 of course):
8 - Showed RPGs of the PS2 era how it's done, really impressive "open world" world map and super-charming characters, even if the story is a bit simple compared to some of the other DQ games
3 (though you might want to wait a bit for the HD2D remake) - this is where the series really took off in Japan and set the standard for so many RPGs to follow.
4 (I prefer the NES version to the English DS version - I hate the overdone accents in the DS localization) - I like the chapter based setup a whole lot. The NES version ranks just below Phantasy Star as the best 8-bit RPG for me.

After those, if you're still down for more:
1 - it's charming in its total barebones simplicity, but it only takes a few hours to power through, a good 'appetizer' game and worth it to experience one of the most important and influential games ever.
7 - the total opposite of 1 in that it's a monster of a game. Extremely long and involved (one of the longest RPGs up until some of the Cold Steel games), but with some of the best and most heartfelt mini scenarios in the series. Also one of the more difficult games, at least in the original PS1 edition.
6 - kinda similar to 7 in that it's long, difficult, with a grindy job system and some good mini scenarios. The SNES version is better due to its attractive pixel graphics, but the fan translation of that isn't 100% complete (most of the way there) and still has some issues.

Was meh on these:
2 - far too grindy and poorly designed, too many spots where you have no idea how to proceed (except if you're using a guide). The first DQ with multiple party members but the other 2 aren't very useful.
9 - didn't particularly care for this one, it felt very dated and in some ways, a big step back from 8 - probably being that it was made for a much weaker system than the PS2 (the DS). Also it lacks any type of characterization in favor of a 3-esque recruitable party, and the scenarios aren't nearly as memorable as the others. Back in the day there was a big multiplayer component and streetpass type stuff but this has been offline for a while. I never got into that but it was a big part of the game.

Word. Thanks brors!  Yeah, for some reason, I always get excited to play a DQ game, but usually lose interest pretty quick for some reason.  First one I had a chance to try and play, was VII on PS1.  Coming out right after FFVII, it just felt subpar at the time.  Since then, the entries just usually remained on radar, but rarely dive in.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37815 on: January 19, 2022, 01:41:54 PM »
Played Little Nightmares (and its DLC).

Very cute, cool monsters and locations.
Puzzles are brain dead though, and suffers the comparison with Inside.

The DLC instead is a waste of time (and money), mostly the same locations and monsters, but stretched thin, and with even worse puzzles than the base game.

Will try 2 eventually.

paprikastaude

« Reply #37816 on: January 19, 2022, 06:25:36 PM »
Replaying Gamecube games as the 20th anniversary of its PAL release nears. SNES might be a bigger classic, but Cube still unrivaled by everything that came after.

I don't like Sunshine or Wind Waker that much - though I appreciate the ambition. Yet it doesn't matter either way. F-Zero, Metroid Prime, Paper Mario, REmake... these were all hard 10/10 exclusives going well beyond what a Nintendo library usually offered after the SNES. Take away Mario or Zelda from other platforms like the Switch and the exclusive libraries completely crumble.

Also so many new IPs. Monkey Ball, Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, and Eternal Darkness in like the first year alone. Some goons try to trashtalk the latter, but I'm honestly shocked how well ED (including its writing) holds up of all things. Absolutely sick that Nintendo funded this. :playa Or straight up moneyhatting Resident Evil and Star Wars games with the best tech of the generation :lol imagine that today. First time localisations for Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing also. Best tech + more experimental than ever. :lawd

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37817 on: January 19, 2022, 06:52:33 PM »
GameCube was an under-served system. So many good titles on it, and the hardware just didn't move like everyone hoped.

I was happy when players found the NGC games I worked on due to the Wii's backward compatibility.

Bebpo

« Reply #37818 on: January 21, 2022, 03:49:15 AM »
That Playstation year end thing just reminds me that

Trails games are painfully too long,
AC Valhalla is painfully too long (only made it halfway through the game),
Judgement is a bit padded,
That doing every sidequest in Nier Replicant was a miserable and pointless waste of time,
and that Deathloop was a perfect length considering I did everything 100% in 28 hours.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37819 on: January 21, 2022, 01:00:27 PM »
^ I couldn't get my wrap-up to work. I'm sure the games on the list will be CS4, Yak 7, Tokyo Xanadu, and Arise.

Anyways, I'm playing Monke Kong Country 3. This is definitely a lot easier than the second, I'm on the final 'world', I think 3 or 4 more levels to go then fight the final boss. After I will go back and get all the bonuses I missed and do the postgame world. I like the 'fishing trip in the pacific northwest' vibe the game has, but the levels overall aren't as interesting and tricky as the 2nd game. I'd rate the games 2 > 3 > 1 overall.

Gonna also start a replay of Treasure Hunter G, I beat it back in my college days but it will be nice to play again. I love the battle system and music in this one... and I guess between SaGa Frontier and DKC3 I'm on a 'mid 90s Silicon Graphics cg game' kick.
^_^

Svejk

« Reply #37820 on: January 22, 2022, 02:42:26 PM »
Finished Frozen Wilds. The last boss is a total arrow sponge, but was still easier than other bots. That cauldron looks gorgeous at 60fps. Wanted to finish it before FW... Although I'm not getting it at launch, wanted to tick it off the backlog.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37821 on: January 22, 2022, 07:52:37 PM »
Beat Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition. Highly recommend playing this again.

Then I played some TimeSplitters 2 which holds up incredibly well in 4k 60fps after tweaking the controls a bit. 
Challenging game though. Played it quite a bit with a friend back in the day but I never had this one on GameCube myself, I could only get TS3 when it released as TS2 was impossible to find.
🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #37822 on: January 23, 2022, 02:54:40 PM »
Been playing Riders Republic here and there after getting it for cheap, its pretty fun and worth 25 units of your local currency if you enjoy xtreme sportz games.
(ice)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37823 on: January 23, 2022, 07:05:19 PM »
Been catassing RDR2 so I can move on. Finished the main story. Was good. Will post impressions in its dedicated thread.

Bebpo

« Reply #37824 on: January 25, 2022, 01:12:21 AM »

Finished Spookware - Episode 1

+Good music & art
-So-so writing

+More creative in structure than Warioware (each chapter plays like a different game, for instance chapter 2 is Ace Attorney murder investigation where you use microgames to get clues to object to people's testimony)
-Microgames themselves aren't quite as good as Wariowario/Rhythm Heaven.

Overall
+Probably better than that last Warioware game
-Not as good as the best Warioware games

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37825 on: January 25, 2022, 10:28:24 AM »
The 2nd to last main game stage in DKC3 with the stupid Koins who try to push you off the cliffs is pissing me off so I went back and got most of the secrets I missed... only have a few more stages to clean up.

I put some time into Treasure Hunter G, completing the first 2 islands. IIRC the bulk of the game is on the 3rd island. Will continue with the game tonight. Battle system is just as fun as I remember, music is great, characters have that SNES RPG charm to them. Is ST!NG still around? They made neat games but I feel some of their later ones are a bit -too- obtuse.
^_^

Tasty

« Reply #37826 on: January 25, 2022, 12:01:10 PM »

I'm cracking out on Yugioh Master Duel. Don't be surprised if I'm homeless and sucking dick for digital cards in two weeks.

Tasty

« Reply #37827 on: January 25, 2022, 12:02:30 PM »
The 2nd to last main game stage in DKC3 with the stupid Koins who try to push you off the cliffs is pissing me off so I went back and got most of the secrets I missed... only have a few more stages to clean up.

I really disliked going through DKC3 the first time about ten years back. Some extremely frustrating level gimmicks, and Baby Kong was just lame.

Beezy

« Reply #37828 on: January 25, 2022, 01:16:53 PM »
Trying to play through Cyber Shadow and Xeno Crisis before they leave Game Pass.

Bebpo

« Reply #37829 on: January 25, 2022, 02:19:06 PM »
Trying to play through Cyber Shadow and Xeno Crisis before they leave Game Pass.

Ya, I tried that too. I don't like Xeno Crisis because of the limited ammo. If that wasn't a thing I'd probably have stuck with it since I liked old school top-down shooters like Smash TV. But running out of ammo for your basic gun in the middle of a fight is crap.

Cyber Shadow is solid, but I didn't stick with it just because I don't have the patience right now. Too many real cheap bits Castlevania medusa head style in there.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37830 on: January 25, 2022, 07:03:12 PM »
Sekiro

Never got very far on Xbox One X, because the framerate and pacing just didn't click with me.
On Xbox Series X I can finally time things right  8)
🤴

paprikastaude

« Reply #37831 on: January 26, 2022, 12:03:32 AM »
Replayed Resident Evil 2 remake. I found it even better this time, especially since I was prepared for some gripes like little bg music and less involved ng+ options. Not easy for me to say, but I think it's better than the original, which I also replayed. Though both are obviously very different and I wouldn't want anyone missing out on the original. But tbf I don't know if I like the original a little less because I finished it about 10 times already. On the other hand, I remembered the remake having a simpler map and progression, but it's the opposite, despite having one floor less in the mansion.

Also how is the remake already 3 years old :stahp
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 12:07:43 AM by Spieler1 »

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #37832 on: January 26, 2022, 05:53:51 PM »
Strange Horticulture, it's like an Victorian/Edwardian Papers Please but you run a plant shop and have a map you can explore for more plants/notes
itm

Borealis

« Reply #37833 on: January 26, 2022, 11:17:41 PM »
Kotor 2 - This one kinda sucks when compared to Kotor 1, doesn't it... Just shuttled down to that Moon still searching for the Ebon Hawk.  Story just seems... boring so far.  Not sure if it's a super slow burn, but it needs to drop some engaging twists sooner than later.

Got a lot better after the Peragus astroid start for me, but I'm baffled at how that part is so much worse compared to 1's Taris.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37834 on: January 27, 2022, 12:14:00 AM »
Strange Horticulture, it's like an Victorian/Edwardian Papers Please but you run a plant shop and have a map you can explore for more plants/notes

Looked into this, it sounds pretty interesting. Gonna check it out...
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #37835 on: January 28, 2022, 12:19:47 AM »
I feel like Windjammers 2 really needs a damn playable tutorial. I don't understand how to do any of the medium/advance techniques stuff and I'm getting my ass kicked against the cpu on easy and it's really annoying.

Bebpo

« Reply #37836 on: January 28, 2022, 12:44:50 AM »
Ok, cleared easy mode on arcade but honestly it was more stressful than the toughest Souls boss. Partly because I don't know what I'm doing and the moves never go where I want and it's just incredibly frustrating. Like I don't even know how to toss the disc just barely over the net. It says B but I hit B and it just lobs it all the way in the air to the other side's goal making it an easy catch.

Also the cpu keeps doing these charged special moves over and over without super meter and I have no idea how to do that. I also don't understand the point of slams since all it seems to ever do is just throw the disc down in a spot for like 2 points or they grab it if they're near.

Bebpo

« Reply #37837 on: January 28, 2022, 04:07:45 AM »
Sooo,

I really like Drinkbox studios. Both Guacamelee games are some of my favorite metroidvanias of all time and I really enjoyed their vita touch dungeon crawler Severed.

I saw they put out a new game Nobody Saves the World last weekend. But it looked like a top-down zelda-ish game and was $23 and I wanted to support them but top-down zeldas just aren't my thing so I figured I'd wait until it was like $15.

Then I turned on game pass for the first time in a few weeks to see what was new and saw it was on there. So I gave it a shot...and 5 hours later I had to pull myself away from the game. I have some issues with the game but for the most part it's really fun and it very much has that Diablo/Grim Dawn/PoE/Torchlight can't stop playing aspect. All because the carrot on the stick job leveling system is really good! And you want to keep playing and leveling up all the jobs and unlocking new ones.

I like how the job quests are almost puzzles in that they require you to mix and match skills from other jobs.

Some of the jobs suck and it's a pain to level them initially. And some of the side quests are annoying and the main big dungeons where you don't gain any job xp while in them is the worst. But damn it's fun. I clicked hard with the Magician job using its rabbit & tiger helpers to murder everything. Once you find a job you really enjoy the combat is super fun.

Seems like another great game from Drinkbox. If I can transfer my save to steam I'll probably double dip and grab it there. Or I'll just pick it up after I beat it on game pass to support them.

*edit* googled and found a webpage on how to move game pass save to steam so picked it up on steam and playing it there.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 05:05:13 AM by Bebpo »

Hamarr

« Reply #37838 on: January 28, 2022, 04:08:20 AM »
I’ve been binging Dice games.  I think I finally kicked the 2042 habit for now but have been playing V and I a bit.  Also, Star Wars Battlefront 2.

I also fired up Valhalla.  I couldn’t get into it before, but something is clicking this time around.  Who knows a few hours from now.  The newish AssCreed formula is pretty good. 

Svejk

« Reply #37839 on: January 28, 2022, 07:43:46 AM »
I’ve been binging Dice games.  I think I finally kicked the 2042 habit for now but have been playing V and I a bit.  Also, Star Wars Battlefront 2.

I also fired up Valhalla.  I couldn’t get into it before, but something is clicking this time around.  Who knows a few hours from now.  The newish AssCreed formula is pretty good.
I've been pseudo enjoying Valhalla.  Loved Odyssey, but Valhalla is almost too bloated... and too long.  But damn it looks purdy.  I'm roughly 40 hours in and supposedly only 1/3 of the way through the story.  Feels so difficult just to progress in that game, other than "just go explore and fill the map where the allotted power suggests".

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37840 on: January 28, 2022, 08:16:57 AM »
I feel like Windjammers 2 really needs a damn playable tutorial. I don't understand how to do any of the medium/advance techniques stuff and I'm getting my ass kicked against the cpu on easy and it's really annoying.

Yeah, was surprised it didn't have something like that available.

https://gamerjournalist.com/how-to-unlock-disc-man-in-windjammers-2/

This site has all the moves listed, plus shows how to play as the hidden character.
ど助平

Hamarr

« Reply #37841 on: January 28, 2022, 10:49:13 AM »

I've been pseudo enjoying Valhalla.  Loved Odyssey, but Valhalla is almost too bloated... and too long.  But damn it looks purdy.  I'm roughly 40 hours in and supposedly only 1/3 of the way through the story.  Feels so difficult just to progress in that game, other than "just go explore and fill the map where the allotted power suggests".

I noticed after finishing the first big quest chain in Englands it s ms like there is a bit of a gap in power level for the next quests I have, or the raid missions.  It seems like I need to go find random stuff for the skill points.

No idea if that will change. Reading about how big and bloated the game was put me off before.  I liked Origins size a bit.  They put dailies in here, too.  Not every game needs to be a forever game.

Bebpo

« Reply #37842 on: January 28, 2022, 04:56:51 PM »
Blew through like half+ of Nobody Saves the World in 6-7 hours. My main issue with the game besides the repetition is that the dungeons level scale which makes leveling pointless and I stopped feeling more powerful after a while and started just feeling weaker every dungeon since I couldn't blow through them anymore with attack spam.

Basically I fucked up because I focused on clearing every job quest and a lot of side quests before progressing, so I ended up at a high level with the dungeons scaled to that. If I hadn't done any of that stuff and just did some job quests I'd be half the level at this point and my stats would be pretty close.

Also some of these gimmick dungeons/bosses/sidequests are the terrible troll stuff from Guacamelee but there's a lot more of it here. Kind of losing interest tbh. Might just do the remaining main quest stuff and finish it out and not bother with anymore optional dungeons and side quests.

Beezy

« Reply #37843 on: January 28, 2022, 08:14:36 PM »
Taiko no Tatsujin: The Drum Master on Game Pass just took over my night. I love these music games.

Bebpo

« Reply #37844 on: January 29, 2022, 04:52:15 AM »
Beat Nobody Saves the World. Was long & fucking fuck hard, and not in a fun challenge good way :maf
The steam achievement for clearing the game says 9.1% of players have it.

It's got a great concept, but to bring in the challenge they do a lot of stupid stuff that just makes it annoying to play as you get further in. The endgame is basically spending hours dying over and over trial & error trying to figure out a perfect build to get through a dungeon of bullshit or a boss of pain. They took the color shield system from Guacamelee and made it way worse and annoying here.

Good game, but too much up its own ass with some bad design.

Took me 14 hours and I skipped a lot of side stuff towards the end. Probably a full 20 hours to do all the sidequests and optional dungeons. I may sit down and bang my head against a wall clearing it all over the weekend, or I may just call it done and move on.

Initially the game makes a really great impression, but after finishing it I think it's Drinkbox's weakest game. It's still a B- or something, but just needed some better design decisions. I think the 9/10 scores it got are more than a bit generous.

Bebpo

« Reply #37845 on: January 30, 2022, 03:43:27 AM »
Finished Guardians of the Galaxy - That was really good! A little too combat scenario heavy in the last few chapters. The combat itself is fine, just a bit too much. The story stuff and writing and VA was great. The final battle was awesome and very SE jrpg. This is definitely up there with Insomniac's Spider-Man games and the Arkham games as the top-tier comic book game adaptations.

Also there is soooo much comic fanservice in this.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I can't believe there is a Fin Fang Foom section & boss fight. Fuckkkkk.

Plus Nova Worldmind, Adam Warlock, Thanos brief fight, Cosmo & Knowhere, etc...
[close]

I think the story/writing/va may actually make this a better GotG than either movie so far. Hope Gunn does a good job with

Adam Warlock
[close]

Also ending the final boss with

The Final Countdown

Was a fucking awesome way to finish
[close]

Beezy

« Reply #37846 on: January 30, 2022, 10:29:06 AM »
Not a real issue, but I hate that the achievements in Cyber Shadow are all like 16 or 31, which doesn't leave you gamerscore total with a whole number unless you get a certain amount. :maf

I'll try to ignore this pet peeve of mine and just enjoy the game.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 01:45:59 PM by Beezy »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37847 on: January 30, 2022, 01:03:33 PM »
So I hooked up my new Series X and the first game I played was the XB1 version of Titanfall 2. My brother had been nagging me to play the SP of this game for a little while now and...

It's pretty damn good! I'm up to the beacon area (I think it's the 6th level?) and it's a really fine game with some great traversal and interesting level design. I honestly thought the Mirror's Edge guys made the game due to the way you can wall run and double jump, and the levels incorporate this. The levels started off kind of cliche (oh great a sewer) but then got really interesting really quickly - the giant assembly line that was making prefab homes being especially interesting, or one where you travel through a lab switching between the thriving past and apocalyptic present - a part that was cool was having to wall jump back and forth while toggling between past and present since some platforms would only appear in one of the time zones.

Apparently the game was a bit of a bomb though :(

I'm also in the process of finishing up Treasure Hunter G (up to the final island), and DKC3 (up to the Lost World). Once these 3 are done I'll play some Infinite.
^_^

Beezy

« Reply #37848 on: January 30, 2022, 01:45:47 PM »
Titanfall 2 deserved better.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37849 on: January 30, 2022, 02:24:19 PM »
So I hooked up my new Series X and the first game I played was the XB1 version of Titanfall 2. My brother had been nagging me to play the SP of this game for a little while now and...

It's pretty damn good! I'm up to the beacon area (I think it's the 6th level?) and it's a really fine game with some great traversal and interesting level design. I honestly thought the Mirror's Edge guys made the game due to the way you can wall run and double jump, and the levels incorporate this. The levels started off kind of cliche (oh great a sewer) but then got really interesting really quickly - the giant assembly line that was making prefab homes being especially interesting, or one where you travel through a lab switching between the thriving past and apocalyptic present - a part that was cool was having to wall jump back and forth while toggling between past and present since some platforms would only appear in one of the time zones.

I'm also in the process of finishing up Treasure Hunter G (up to the final island), and DKC3 (up to the Lost World). Once these 3 are done I'll play some Infinite.
Titanfall 2 has one of the best modern FPS campaigns.

It's kinda weird though, sometimes these things don't get recognized at launch. I remember HALO 3's campaign received a lukewarm response back on the Xbox 360. People enjoyed it but it was by no means considered the strongest part of the game. Now it shows up in nearly every top FPS campaign list. I played Reach again on the Series X and I didn't remember it being this good so I definitely look forward to playing HALO 3 again as well.

Today I mostly played Streets of Rage 4  8)

🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37850 on: January 30, 2022, 02:50:14 PM »

Titanfall 2 has one of the best modern FPS campaigns.

It's kinda weird though, sometimes these things don't get recognized at launch. I remember HALO 3's campaign received a lukewarm response back on the Xbox 360. People enjoyed it but it was by no means considered the strongest part of the game. Now it shows up in nearly every top FPS campaign list. I played Reach again on the Series X and I didn't remember it being this good so I definitely look forward to playing HALO 3 again as well.

Today I mostly played Streets of Rage 4  8)

:confused

I remember everybody enjoying the Halo 3 campaign because of the online co-op for up to four people.
ど助平

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #37851 on: January 30, 2022, 06:41:32 PM »
Basically haven't been able to play anything but Dicey Dungeons for the past few weeks. It's so ridic good. At like 43/53 cheevos now so getting close to 100%

I was pumped to try Nobody Saves the World next, but Bebpo said it was a lot worse than his initial impressions :(

I loved the Guacamelee games and got 100% achievements in both of them including all DLC - is this game harder or on par with Guac?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37852 on: January 30, 2022, 07:01:40 PM »
Not a real issue, but I hate that the achievements in Cyber Shadow are all like 16 or 31, which doesn't leave you gamerscore total with a whole number unless you get a certain amount. :maf

I won’t even play games that give Achievements with Gamerscore that aren’t a multiple of 5. Some shitbird game designer wants to play with my OCD? They can go fuck themselves. It’s manipulative.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #37853 on: January 30, 2022, 07:05:15 PM »
Basically haven't been able to play anything but Dicey Dungeons for the past few weeks. It's so ridic good. At like 43/53 cheevos now so getting close to 100%

I was pumped to try Nobody Saves the World next, but Bebpo said it was a lot worse than his initial impressions :(

I loved the Guacamelee games and got 100% achievements in both of them including all DLC - is this game harder or on par with Guac?

Take Bebpo with a grain of salt, his initial posts said he just ran through the game and caused himself to be stuck due to his bad choices. Someone like you and I tend to take our time and explore a game and have a better understanding of it.

You'll probably enjoy it much more than he did
fat

Beezy

« Reply #37854 on: January 30, 2022, 07:09:35 PM »

I won’t even play games that give Achievements with Gamerscore that aren’t a multiple of 5. Some shitbird game designer wants to play with my OCD? They can go fuck themselves. It’s manipulative.
Glad to know its not just me. I have 6 cheevs, so I need 4 more before this leaves gamepass. :exxy :notlikethis :era

Bebpo

« Reply #37855 on: January 30, 2022, 07:42:17 PM »

Yeah, Dicey Dungeons is fantastic. Terry Cavanagh makes great games like VVVVV and Super Hexagon.

I think Nobody Saves the World is harder/less fun than Guacamelee. I don't think the two Guacamelee games are hard outside Treetops which is very hard platforming and tries my patience. Everything else was pretty fun and fair imo.

But I'm good at character action games and I'm good at 2d metroidvanias and I'm good at 2d platformers so Guacamelee is up my skill set. I am fucking terrible at Diablo/Grim Dawn/Path of Exile games. Like I barely am able to beat these games on normal and I get swarmed and die a lot in most of them. This definitely played into Nobody Save the World being pretty hard for me. It's just a genre of combat I'm not great at.

That being said Nobody Saves the World is less about execution skill like Guacamelee and more about figuring out the right puzzle for exactly what to do for each bit. The game gives you 100s of potential character builds, but then you need very very specific builds to get through certain parts in the back half. So like 2-3 builds total work and at this point there's no good walkthroughs/guides so if you can't figure out a build that works you just keep dying trying different builds and it feels bullshit. There's also a few troll BS bits in there.

An example of this is one of the hardest dungeons in the game which took me like 90 mins of 5 min retries to barely clear by the skin of my teeth has a modifier that enemies do 1.2x damage and status effects last 5 times longer and enemies consistently poison and slow you the entire dungeon while swarming you with very strong enemies that do a shitton of damage. I found out after I beat it that the solution to the dungeon is:

Status effects lasting 5x includes buffs. So you can buff ATKx5 & DEFx5 [normally those buffs wear out before you can get more than x1-2] and basically be super powered and invincible the whole dungeon, which is how the devs obviously meant for players to clear.
[close]

I didn't realize that and I still got through it but it was just incredibly difficult and knowing the "trick" basically makes it ez pz.

But still, even if I didn't have issues with the balance or level scaling, the game is just not as fun to me as the Guacamelee games because I prefer that genre of gaming. It's still a good game, just those are greats and I don't think this one is as good in the end though it makes a great impression initially. 

Bebpo

« Reply #37856 on: January 30, 2022, 07:52:21 PM »
Now that I finished Guardians of The Galaxy, looking for another AAA or AA kind of game to play until Elden Ring/CHAOS/GT7 at the end of the month. After Nobody Saves the World I feel like something really easy & stress/annoyance free.

Between this stuff, what's good and easy?

Lost Judgment
Halo Infinite
Tales of Arise
Ghost of Tsushima
Horizon
P5 Scramble
TWEWY2
Dark Anthology Little Hope

Actually I just realized Horizon 2 is out in like 3 weeks. Game hasn't been on my radar at all since I never got around to the original. Maybe I should play Horizon next. Is the game easy or is there an easy mode or something if I just wanna blow through it?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #37857 on: January 30, 2022, 09:34:50 PM »
You might as well just play Horizon if you want to play Horizon 2, but lets be honest Elden Ring / etc are going right on the backlog along with that list you just posted
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #37858 on: January 30, 2022, 10:24:03 PM »
You might as well just play Horizon if you want to play Horizon 2, but lets be honest Elden Ring / etc are going right on the backlog along with that list you just posted

Nah, From Soft Souls games are day 1 for me. GT7 I'll fuck around with but unless it's compelling I won't stick with it any more than I did Forza Horizon 5, so like a week. Stranger in Paradise, yeah, gonna get backlogged since I'll be playing Elden Ring.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #37859 on: January 30, 2022, 10:35:45 PM »
you can blast through Halo in a weekend or so. tales is a nice, straight forward and easy to follow game for the first half (?) at least but it's also long,  I fell off it at the point where I imagine the anime bullshit kicks in. ghost is fucking loooooong, but I enjoyed it for about 20 hours and was approx 1/3 of the way through until hitting a wall with it, it ultimately made me appreciate how well ubisoft have nailed the AC formula. not played the rest, but halo is the quickest one to strike off.
(ice)