Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3591470 times)

Bebpo

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #37860 on: January 30, 2022, 10:39:40 PM »
How hard is Halo? I am bad at FPS games. Real bad. Is there an easy mode? I beat Halo 1-3/ODST normal back in the day but I also played more FPS games during that Xbox/CoD era.

And yeah, I'm thinking Tales would be a nice easy chill game to play for a few weeks until that stuff is out.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #37861 on: January 30, 2022, 10:44:37 PM »
there's an easy mode on halo yeah

ghost is totally worth it for a few hours just to check out the hot graphics at least.
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #37862 on: January 31, 2022, 02:10:04 AM »
Ended up playing a bunch of Horizon. Game is pretty fun. I thought it was going to be more stealthy but the combat feels really smooth at 60fps and feels pretty good.  Actually enjoying fighting stuff early on instead of sneaking around.

Only thing kinda weird is the climbing. Like it's so weird you can't even grab ledges or rocks normally unless they're very specific scripted locations meant for climbing. On one hand it helps balance the AC/BoTW thing of just being able to free climb anywhere around stuff with no challenge and boxes you in more to find safe routes. Otoh after AC and BoTW it feels kind of regressive not being able to free climb around.

I haven't paid any attention to the sequel, did they change the climbing mechanics to free climbing?

Svejk

« Reply #37863 on: January 31, 2022, 09:37:52 AM »
Ended up playing a bunch of Horizon. Game is pretty fun. I thought it was going to be more stealthy but the combat feels really smooth at 60fps and feels pretty good.  Actually enjoying fighting stuff early on instead of sneaking around.

Only thing kinda weird is the climbing. Like it's so weird you can't even grab ledges or rocks normally unless they're very specific scripted locations meant for climbing. On one hand it helps balance the AC/BoTW thing of just being able to free climb anywhere around stuff with no challenge and boxes you in more to find safe routes. Otoh after AC and BoTW it feels kind of regressive not being able to free climb around.

I haven't paid any attention to the sequel, did they change the climbing mechanics to free climbing?
Besides the stunning graphics, The combat really is the only saving grace for H:ZD. (The actual people parts are snoozy.) But the fighting gets extremely intense down the line, but is really solid.   Climbing though is very Tomb Raider-ish.  Supposedly, FW is more of the same...  kind of.  There is no indication of what's reachable when climbing.... However, if you use your focus, it highlights all the ledges you can grab... and looks kind of annoying actually.  Maybe it will be adjustable in settings hopefully, but when activating that, it looks like a silly constellation plastered onto the wall/cliff.  Not expecting better climbing, but off cliff hang-gliding BOTW style will make it more enjoyable.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 11:36:24 AM by Svejk »

Bebpo

« Reply #37864 on: January 31, 2022, 12:41:10 PM »
Being able to see ledges you can grab would definitely be helpful.

Svejk

« Reply #37865 on: January 31, 2022, 01:07:44 PM »
Being able to see ledges you can grab would definitely be helpful.
I agree, but it should strike a balance of subtle hints, not harsh yellow glowing beams.  The Sharted and TR games do it well imo.

This just looks a bit obnoxious...

Granted you can choose to not use the focus.. but I think there needs to be a bit of an adjustment if so. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 01:15:08 PM by Svejk »

Bebpo

« Reply #37866 on: January 31, 2022, 09:07:05 PM »
Eh, you can flick it on just to see where you can climb and then flick it off. Seems helpful just to guide you to wherever the scripted climbing section is vs Horizon 1 where you gotta find the yellow thing stuck into the wall to know there is a climbing section starting from there.

Also I actually think Horizon is a bit ugly game. Took me a bit to adjust. Too much lens flare. Like a JJ Abrams game. Once I adjusted though the day/night cycle is nice enough.

I just like how smooth the controls are. I'm so used to sandbox games feeling clunky, especially in combat, but this game just feels fucking good. Reminds me of MGS5 in that respect.

I also like that judging by the map and how short the intro section was, that this is not a giant ubi sandbox that will take a billion hours to fully explore. Like it's not super tiny, but it doesn't seem to big of a map which is a nice change for these kind of games. Ubisoft maps are just too fucking big now.

I would complain that you have to use items to fast travel, but you seem to get a bunch of them so it's not a big deal so far.

Beezy

« Reply #37867 on: January 31, 2022, 09:39:15 PM »
On chapter 8 and 300 achievements in Cyber Shadow. I'll stop here. I've been dying a lot because I'm playing impatiently and it's starting to stress me out, but it's one of the better retro games that I've played. Pretty sure I own it on Switch or Steam also, so I'll revisit it someday.

Svejk

« Reply #37868 on: January 31, 2022, 10:02:14 PM »
Eh, you can flick it on just to see where you can climb and then flick it off. Seems helpful just to guide you to wherever the scripted climbing section is vs Horizon 1 where you gotta find the yellow thing stuck into the wall to know there is a climbing section starting from there.

Also I actually think Horizon is a bit ugly game. Took me a bit to adjust. Too much lens flare. Like a JJ Abrams game. Once I adjusted though the day/night cycle is nice enough.

I just like how smooth the controls are. I'm so used to sandbox games feeling clunky, especially in combat, but this game just feels fucking good. Reminds me of MGS5 in that respect.

I also like that judging by the map and how short the intro section was, that this is not a giant ubi sandbox that will take a billion hours to fully explore. Like it's not super tiny, but it doesn't seem to big of a map which is a nice change for these kind of games. Ubisoft maps are just too fucking big now.

I would complain that you have to use items to fast travel, but you seem to get a bunch of them so it's not a big deal so far.
Yeah, the world feels vast with almost just enough fat trimmed to keep it from feeling bloated.  But I totally agree about the MGSV comparison.  The controls and combat are ultra tight and solid, especially for an open world game.

Purchase/obtain a backpack(?) as soon as you're able.  It allows for fast travel whenever at no cost.  And I'd highly suggest doing the side stuff to get the shield weaver armor late game.  It's like switching on God mode.

Bebpo

« Reply #37869 on: January 31, 2022, 10:49:46 PM »
Is there something that shows where sidequest start points are? So far I've just found ones I've stumbled into while grabbing the bonfires.

Svejk

« Reply #37870 on: January 31, 2022, 11:33:51 PM »
Is there something that shows where sidequest start points are? So far I've just found ones I've stumbled into while grabbing the bonfires.
Can't remember, but they're usually easy to come across and not easily missable.  They're not cryptic or shoved into a random corner of the map.  Usually just people with a certain icon above their head you can spot easily near a path or towns. Or when you're near them, a grayed out marker pops up on the map too iirc.

Bebpo

« Reply #37871 on: February 01, 2022, 03:51:43 AM »
Yeah, damn, the boss fights in Horizon are fucking awesome. This does feel a lot like a Metal Gear game in combat. Having a ton of fun. Pretty intense but you have some good options and I like how breaking parts disables attacks of the enemies.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #37872 on: February 01, 2022, 05:06:00 AM »
Horizon zero dawn is the best dutch game ever made
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #37873 on: February 01, 2022, 05:15:15 AM »
You must've meant A2 Racer.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37874 on: February 01, 2022, 08:09:41 AM »

I beg to differ, sir:

ど助平

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #37875 on: February 01, 2022, 08:11:46 AM »
Anvil-Soft is a German dev.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37876 on: February 01, 2022, 08:15:59 AM »

Then there are no good Dutch games.
  :goty
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #37877 on: February 01, 2022, 08:56:23 AM »

I beg to differ, sir:

(Image removed from quote.)

Wtf I dont even know that lmao
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #37878 on: February 01, 2022, 08:57:45 AM »

Then there are no good Dutch games.
  :goty

Well the Age of Wonder games are good I think
What

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #37879 on: February 02, 2022, 01:45:49 AM »
Age of Chunder imo
◕‿◕

« Reply #37880 on: February 02, 2022, 04:37:34 AM »
daemon x machina is free on eggs so i have been playing it for a couple days now. the story and cutscenes are dogshit. fighting is very fun but the missions are all so short and in tiny arenas that it doesnt really feel intense.

« Reply #37881 on: February 02, 2022, 05:15:35 AM »
Playing Sekiro in preparation for Elden Ring. The main game is pretty good, but also might be the weakest of From Soft's recent games. They should have either taken the stealth element out or committed more fully to it. Same thing with the story, they should have committed more fully to it. The battle system and the boss fights on the other hand are so fucking good. Can't remember the last time I played a game with boss fights that felt this intense thanks to the parry system.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37882 on: February 02, 2022, 06:49:12 AM »
Playing Sekiro in preparation for Elden Ring. The main game is pretty good, but also might be the weakest of From Soft's recent games. They should have either taken the stealth element out or committed more fully to it. Same thing with the story, they should have committed more fully to it. The battle system and the boss fights on the other hand are so fucking good. Can't remember the last time I played a game with boss fights that felt this intense thanks to the parry system.
Playing this too, the dude on the horse outside the castle gate fucked me up real good just after I thought I was getting the hang of things  :doge
🤴

« Reply #37883 on: February 02, 2022, 07:58:59 AM »
Playing this too, the dude on the horse outside the castle gate fucked me up real good just after I thought I was getting the hang of things  :doge

Yeah the first two bosses are the ones I spent the most time trying to beat because the game does a terrible job explaining how to play it. I suggest trying the lady butterfly boss which is in an optional area you can already unlock by the time you get to the horse guy. By the time you beat her, you'll be familiar pretty much with how to handle most of the other bosses I think.

For most of the bosses the aim is to break their posture rather than deplete their health, so the main thing to get right is the parrying. So just try and stick close to the horse as much as possible and try and parry the boss' attack at the right time so it gives a big spark then you can slash one or two more times. Rinse and repeat until his posture is broken. Also if your other resurrection node is filled, you can afford to die before the first death blow. After giving the boss a death blow it'll unlock the second resurrection node. Useful to remember for bosses so you can save up on healing items.

Svejk

« Reply #37884 on: February 02, 2022, 08:09:08 AM »
I stopped playing Sekiro at the arrow lighting boss at the top of the Ashina castle.  I got to his 3rd phase, but just got too annoyed at the time.  Would like to try again with the next gen boost...
Also got annoyed with REEEEEEjects snide advice was always, "start playing it like a rhythm game, then it'll click!"   
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Coax

« Reply #37885 on: February 02, 2022, 08:35:47 AM »
Sekiro's art direction and music

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37886 on: February 02, 2022, 08:59:54 AM »

Yeah the first two bosses are the ones I spent the most time trying to beat because the game does a terrible job explaining how to play it. I suggest trying the lady butterfly boss which is in an optional area you can already unlock by the time you get to the horse guy. By the time you beat her, you'll be familiar pretty much with how to handle most of the other bosses I think.

For most of the bosses the aim is to break their posture rather than deplete their health, so the main thing to get right is the parrying. So just try and stick close to the horse as much as possible and try and parry the boss' attack at the right time so it gives a big spark then you can slash one or two more times. Rinse and repeat until his posture is broken. Also if your other resurrection node is filled, you can afford to die before the first death blow. After giving the boss a death blow it'll unlock the second resurrection node. Useful to remember for bosses so you can save up on healing items.
I think there's a hint somewhere about a poisoned horse..., which is what I'm going to try out first
[close]

Overall I find it much easier to play on Xbox Series X with a stable framerate than the Xbox One X.
It ran ok enough but every stutter messes up the timing.
🤴

« Reply #37887 on: February 02, 2022, 09:25:25 AM »
I stopped playing Sekiro at the arrow lighting boss at the top of the Ashina castle.  I got to his 3rd phase, but just got too annoyed at the time.  Would like to try again with the next gen boost...
Also got annoyed with REEEEEEjects snide advice was always, "start playing it like a rhythm game, then it'll click!"   
[close]

For that boss you just have to jump as the lighting hits and press rb as you land. It takes a massive amount of his health and frees you up to go to town on him. One or two of them and he is done.

Most of the advice I read on this game early on when I was having trouble seemed like vague advises that just came down to people telling you be aggressive which doesn't really mean anything, that just made me think it should be played like Bloodborne. But ultimately it mainly comes down to watching for that bigger circle flash spark that means the enemy has parried your attack so it's time to defend or vice versa where you've parried their attack and it's time to attack. So I can kind of see what they mean by the rythm advice even if it doesn't make much sense since you aren't relying on a rythm and are watching for a visual cue instead.

I think there's a hint somewhere about a poisoned horse..., which is what I'm going to try out first
[close]

Overall I find it much easier to play on Xbox Series X with a stable framerate than the Xbox One X.
It ran ok enough but every stutter messes up the timing.
I don't think that's a hint for the boss. If you are having trouble, you can buy fireworks prosthetic from one of the npc on top of a hill near the stairway idol which helps with the boss, actually it helps with all bosses I think. Even the last boss.

Svejk

« Reply #37888 on: February 02, 2022, 09:33:07 AM »
Ok, you guys have me wanting to jump back in Sekiro now.  :hyper Gonna do that this weekend.  Would be a good prep for Elden Ring anyhow.

A slight dilemma though... Been playing it on both PS and PC.  About the same place on both.  I'd want to continue on PS for the trophies and the couch/4K tv playing, but on PC I have a mod to play as Ayame from Tenchu.  (They even modded the voice)  :hmm
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 09:40:30 AM by Svejk »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #37889 on: February 02, 2022, 10:11:38 AM »
I was gonna play a From game to work on the ol backlog as well. Probably Dark Souls 3
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #37890 on: February 02, 2022, 02:43:32 PM »
The more I play Horizon the more it's like yup this is Sony's Assassin's Creed ubisoft sandbox checklist game. I gotta give it to Sony they did a good job cloning their own AC franchises with Horizon & Ghost. Now they've established 1st party lineups of story climbing shooters, ubisoft sandboxes, action adventures (Spider-Man). Just need a good FPS franchise, a good rpg franchise, and a good arcade racing franchise to compete with Horizon.

Anyhow, yeah like everyone says the dialogue/story/VA in Horizon is fucking terrible and Aloy seems like the most bland lead ever (I like her VA as an actress, but I don't think she's a good VA here. She sounds like some 2015 era generic white girl isekai'd into Horizon's world instead of some post-apocalyptic badass ranger). I wonder how much of the weird stilted dialogue/VA is because English isn't the native language of Guerrilla Games.

Gameplay is fun as fuck though yeah. This is definitely scratching the AC itch for me that I enjoy ever few months. Too many damn icons on the map just like ubisoft. My OCD makes me do everything and it's a lot of icons.

Also I think the game needs Horizon 2 because the visuals are almost there. They can have gorgeous lighting at certain times of day, but during the day the image quality is just below what it needs to be and has that pixely, jaggy, shimmering look a bit which feels like a lower-res game. Probably should've gone with the PC version but I already had the PS4 version sitting around. Horizon 2 just cleaning up the image quality should make the game look nice af.

I'm also surprised Death Stranding looks a billion times better on this same engine on the same hardware (PS4). Kojima's team are geniuses.

Anyhow I am not so sure I want to play Horizon 2 any time soon after this since I can only do so much checklist sandbox gaming at a time. But having fun here and will get to H2 sometime this year.

Bebpo

« Reply #37891 on: February 02, 2022, 04:33:21 PM »
Also I like that sidequests are actually meaty and not just a 3 minute "run to a spot and do a thing and you're done" like AC and most sandbox games. Even if the writing is whatever, the multiple steps to that actually make them feel unique content.

I think the side thing I like the least so far are the bandit camps straight out of AC cloned to the maximum. zzzz.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #37892 on: February 02, 2022, 06:56:57 PM »
Been playing Bloodborne PSX it's janky but I can't stop playing it.

It's pretty much just Nightmare Creatures, but with a gimped Souls control scheme obviously the physics didn't make the transition so it feels like something era appropriate with adapted Souls mechanics done as best as possible due to self imposed limitations.
[close]

I guess some people might be turned off by the controls and PSX aesthetic but fuck it if it doesn't shine through these self imposed warts.
[close]
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 04:31:04 AM by D3RANG3D »

Bebpo

« Reply #37893 on: February 02, 2022, 10:02:19 PM »
10 hours in, hitting 25% in Horizon. Did the first Mecha Base and man some of these fights make you sweat. Never finding it frustrating or anything, just intense fun combat. This is some of the best action combat I've played in a bit.

Grabbed some shots on the PS5:

The variety in environments and lighting is really nice. H2 gonna be a gorgeous photo mode game.

Bebpo

« Reply #37894 on: February 03, 2022, 02:06:04 AM »
Finally went to the Carja border fort to continue the main story. Medieval Bloodborne/Castlevania stone town outta nowhere! Yeah, in the first 1/3rd of the map there's more environmental variety than I've seen in full sandboxes of other games. Lots of really cool areas. I had this sitting in my backlog for years, very much underestimated this game.

When I finally sit down and play Ghost of Tsushima, I'll be surprised if I like it more than this. This really is clicking with me. Most fun I've had with a sandbox checklist game in a while. Valhalla was solid, but this is so much better and not 150 hours long.

Have very few complaints about it so far. Mostly just that inventory space limitations shouldn't exist. Inventory management over and over as you run out of space has no place in a game like this, though it's pretty clear they were going for a wrpg with this game. The conversations feel so Bethesda rpg and even the combat could easily be turned into a turn-based rpg if they wanted with the different elements and tear & corruption and breaking boss parts to weaken them. It's basically an arpg.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37895 on: February 03, 2022, 02:25:02 AM »
HORIZON: You have plenty of ways to "improve your Satchel" to get past that limitation. I found that to be a pretty compelling gameplay function, but now I'm seeing it as low-hanging fruit game design.

They did the same thing in RDR2, and one of the ingredients is iguana, which are only usually found in a territory that isn't even visited during the story. There's a way to get them during the Story, but you'd have to know to go to an island without any reason to go there. :maf

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #37896 on: February 03, 2022, 05:04:07 AM »
Anyhow, yeah like everyone says the dialogue/story/VA in Horizon is fucking terrible

I love this cutscene so much. House of the Dead quality voice acting on Brom.

Svejk

« Reply #37897 on: February 03, 2022, 08:00:10 AM »
When I finally sit down and play Ghost of Tsushima, I'll be surprised if I like it more than this. This really is clicking with me. Most fun I've had with a sandbox checklist game in a while. Valhalla was solid, but this is so much better and not 150 hours long.
Ghost is basically the same thing, but with samurai... The combat is fucking solid and fun as hell...  And the landscapes are drop dead gorgeous....  but expect the side stuff and people interactions about the same as Horizon (in terms of caliber)  The story is simple with a few twists here and there, but nothing to write home about.   Worth playing though!  It does feel more like a streamlined Asscrud.  Doesn't feel bloated either.

Got to the underworld in DQV.  Just realized what the Solar Stone does, should have no problem now beating this now. lol  Seems almost unfair to spam, but whatever.  Never thought I'd say this, but it's been kinda nice grinding levels.  It's so old school, it brings a nostalgic contentment of sorts.  :lol

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37898 on: February 03, 2022, 11:05:55 AM »
Beat Titanfall 2 last nite, tonite I'll go in to sweep some collectibles and achievements that I missed.
Great game, although the end was a minor letdown compared to the stunning mid-section. Probably some of the best moving mechanics in a shooter that I've seen since Mirror's Edge and Vanquish.

Beat Treasure Hunter G the other day too. Another game I'd have loved to see its mechanics expanded upon, or some type of re-release.

Also in the Lost World of DKC3. I have one more bonus to get before I unlock the final area. While this game likes to give you the chance to retry bonus areas you fuck up on, there are a few that you have to restart the level, unfortunately this is one of them and it's quite a punishing level (it's called "Swooping Salvo" and has a bunch of birds with unpredictable arcs bumrushing you). DKC3 really feels like where they just threw in every unused idea they had through the course of the series and threw them together to hold people over who didn't upgrade to an N64 yet in Christmas 96 (or more likely: who didn't upgrade to a PS1).

One of the local retro store owners opened up an amazing arcade in my local mall - 100+ games all with CRTs/vector screens and refurbished cabs. It's got everything from Pac Man all the way up to MvC2, with a couple pinball machines and N64/SNES/Genesis hooked up to a projector in the back. All the standards, and some obscure classics you don't see too often (LadyBug, Time Soldiers with the rotary controller, Crystal Castles, Midway Open Ice, the 6 player X-Men cab). It's $20 for the whole day to get in (all the machines are on free play), $25 on weekends. So the other day I went and played a shit-ton of the overhead run n guns with rotary controllers - Time Soldiers, Ikari Warriors, and Heavy Barrel... along with introducing my fiancee to Arkanoid, Tempest, LadyBug, and (her new favorite) Tapper.

Between this, Round 1 in Hicksville, the different Barcades in NYC, Next Level, and Sunshine Laundromat... it's a good time to be an arcade/pinball fan in the tri-state area.
^_^

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #37899 on: February 03, 2022, 04:43:43 PM »
Anyhow, yeah like everyone says the dialogue/story/VA in Horizon is fucking terrible

I love this cutscene so much. House of the Dead quality voice acting on Brom.
Everything about that is embarrassing...the writing, the acting, the direction. But hey, it looks pretty so gamers will froth over it like it's some sort of achievement
Spud

Rahxephon91

« Reply #37900 on: February 03, 2022, 09:32:01 PM »
Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth for the Switch.

With SMTV done this is my at work game. Very good so far, even though I know nothing about Lodoss War.

Bebpo

« Reply #37901 on: February 04, 2022, 04:17:19 AM »
Finished the first half of the map in Horizon exploring every inch of it. Problem was that just exploring around killing stuff and finding collectibles wasn't getting me any levels or skill points. And I started finding some of the furthest out stuff being level-gated like bandits or mechs way above my level where I couldn't do much damage and I'd die in like 1 hit.

Also to be honest, while I was scouring out the map and finding every nest of enemies to turn their grey icon to white...there doesn't really seem like there's any point to finding enemy nests? Like you don't get any xp and you can find the same enemies at a bunch of other places if you need parts. Seems like a big waste of OCD time and a lot of the map, while gorgeous, doesn't have much meaningful content to do besides turn icons to discovered.

So instead of doing the same inch by inch exploration from the midpoint gate to the main city I just ran to the city so I can get some quests since that's where the bulk of the xp comes from. Surprisingly not a lot of of sidequests. There's like 3 in the big city (which is a really impressive cool city) and didn't find any sidequests along the way. Meanwhile in that first 1/3rd of the game every little campfire fort had a couple of sidequests to give xp.

Just gonna stick to the main quest and sidequests for a while until I get some more levels and then gonna get back to exploring. I'm like lvl.23 but some of the stuff I'm seeing is lvl.28ish. I wish the game didn't have levels. Not a big fan of that in the new God of War or the last 3 AC games. At least it's not that bad and mecha enemies seem to stay at the same levels throughout the game, but humans seem to scale to whatever level they want for bandit camps.

*edit* Oh and it's not the writing/cutscenes/VA that is the worst part of Horizon, it's the human combat. Fighting mecha dinos with elemental weaknesses at parts = awesome, fighting humans with armor and arrows = sucks. Considering I'm halfway through the game but I've seen almost all the dinos already (I think maybe there's like 5-6 left), definitely a little worried the game will ramp up the human combat in the back half.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 04:55:15 AM by Bebpo »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #37902 on: February 04, 2022, 04:37:54 AM »
it's 4:30am and I just spent my night grinding to level 95 and building a team to beat the shiva superboss in SMTV

first try of course cause he aint shit

time to get my true neutral ending (1st playthru) and move on
fat

Svejk

« Reply #37903 on: February 04, 2022, 09:13:01 AM »
Finished the first half of the map in Horizon exploring every inch of it. Problem was that just exploring around killing stuff and finding collectibles wasn't getting me any levels or skill points. And I started finding some of the furthest out stuff being level-gated like bandits or mechs way above my level where I couldn't do much damage and I'd die in like 1 hit.

Also to be honest, while I was scouring out the map and finding every nest of enemies to turn their grey icon to white...there doesn't really seem like there's any point to finding enemy nests? Like you don't get any xp and you can find the same enemies at a bunch of other places if you need parts. Seems like a big waste of OCD time and a lot of the map, while gorgeous, doesn't have much meaningful content to do besides turn icons to discovered.

So instead of doing the same inch by inch exploration from the midpoint gate to the main city I just ran to the city so I can get some quests since that's where the bulk of the xp comes from. Surprisingly not a lot of of sidequests. There's like 3 in the big city (which is a really impressive cool city) and didn't find any sidequests along the way. Meanwhile in that first 1/3rd of the game every little campfire fort had a couple of sidequests to give xp.

Just gonna stick to the main quest and sidequests for a while until I get some more levels and then gonna get back to exploring. I'm like lvl.23 but some of the stuff I'm seeing is lvl.28ish. I wish the game didn't have levels. Not a big fan of that in the new God of War or the last 3 AC games. At least it's not that bad and mecha enemies seem to stay at the same levels throughout the game, but humans seem to scale to whatever level they want for bandit camps.

*edit* Oh and it's not the writing/cutscenes/VA that is the worst part of Horizon, it's the human combat. Fighting mecha dinos with elemental weaknesses at parts = awesome, fighting humans with armor and arrows = sucks. Considering I'm halfway through the game but I've seen almost all the dinos already (I think maybe there's like 5-6 left), definitely a little worried the game will ramp up the human combat in the back half.
I usually get to around a half way point in open world games when I start to b-line the main stuff.  Open world fatigue I guess.  I think there's only the 2 bandit camps and that's it.  Should be robos the rest of the way through with some end game surprises still.   Horizon has a pretty easy Platty to achieve too, if you like to hunt trophies.

Speaking of humans, that's actually what concerns me about FW.  So many people probably griped about the human interactions being so dull in ZD that they felt obligated to put more focus on humanism in FW... and I guess they want to spruce up everything, which is understandable, but don't want them to lose focus on what make ZD so great; the robo combat.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #37904 on: February 04, 2022, 11:40:22 AM »
so doing all that work for the TRUE NEUTRAL ending was a waste of time, because that ending was so shit and unfulfilling. Like, jerking off and looking down at my wilted cum stained penis didn't make me feel as bad

Anyway SMTV was ok. SMT4A was better
fat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #37905 on: February 04, 2022, 11:45:05 AM »
Honestly, SMTV got worse the longer it went on.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #37906 on: February 05, 2022, 02:21:44 AM »
the only thing I've been playing for the past almost year, FGO

Bebpo

« Reply #37907 on: February 05, 2022, 06:35:03 PM »
On Era there's a thread that Destiny 2 - Forsaken campaign is the best SP campaign Bungie has done since all this Destiny stuff and it's getting removed (maybe forever) on the 22nd. I played like 4-6 hours of Destiny 1 at launch and liked the gunplay feel but bounced because I was looking for a good SP campaign and Destiny was not it with all the story in cards or some shit.

I'm mildly interested enough to install Destiny 2 now (downloading it currently) and see if I can endure the 6 hours it takes to get to the Forsaken campaign. Will see if I make it there.

I'm knee deep in Horizon 1 and any free gaming time I'm gonna want to be that world doing mecha-dino stuff, but ~16 days until Forsaken is gone completely is not a lot of time, so if it's good I'll prioritize that. But it better be good good.

Also a little afraid that if I actually like Forsaken I might actually start playing Destiny 2 and that is a timesink in itself. Already have 2,000 hours in FF14. Don't need any other MMO in my life.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #37908 on: February 05, 2022, 07:32:15 PM »
Uhh, I would definitely not recommend playing Forsaken campaign because someone says it's good. You would have zero idea who the characters are and why shit is even happening.

All Destiny campaigns are pretty shit. Forsaken has the most "effort" put in, but to get there you have to deal with the shit before that which is ZZZZZ

Compared to a FF14 campaign (which I have not played) I'm sure it takes liquid shits all over Destiny's attempts at a campaign
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #37909 on: February 05, 2022, 08:59:53 PM »
I’m having a hard time with the intro. Like it’s terribly confusing what I am supposed to be doing. How this game doesn’t have more handholding at the beginning after all these years Idk.

Bebpo

« Reply #37910 on: February 05, 2022, 11:14:50 PM »
Almost done with the intro. At the strike now. Then just gotta grind 270k xp to unlock Forsaken. I'll see how confusing it is playing that as the first Destiny campaign.

Uhh, I would definitely not recommend playing Forsaken campaign because someone says it's good. You would have zero idea who the characters are and why shit is even happening.

All Destiny campaigns are pretty shit. Forsaken has the most "effort" put in, but to get there you have to deal with the shit before that which is ZZZZZ

Compared to a FF14 campaign (which I have not played) I'm sure it takes liquid shits all over Destiny's attempts at a campaign

I mean which is a better single player FPS campaign if I wanna play one? Destiny 2 - Forsaken campaign or Halo Infinite? If Forsaken, even being the best of Destiny, still sucks compared to a campaign like Halo Infinite, then yeah I probably should cut my losses on time investment and play Infinite's campaign instead.

Bebpo

« Reply #37911 on: February 06, 2022, 04:00:10 AM »
Unlocked Forsaken and did the first mission of New Light. Going through the menus there are a a billion things in the game and I have no idea what order to do anything in. Or even what level stuff is that doesn't say power level. I'm like 1150 and a bunch of stuff says 1100 still.

Bebpo

« Reply #37912 on: February 06, 2022, 05:45:06 AM »
Played some of Forsaken. After a night of Destiny 2 I'm enjoying the combat, especially as a Warlock with magic stuff, a lot. Tons of variety with the guns and good gunplay. Nice graphics too. Also the 3rd person melee weapon stuff is kind of fun.

Overall structure is still kinda wonky but I can live with being confused at what I'm supposed to be doing on a regular basis. Got to the first open part of Forsaken and you have to go around doing a bunch of filler bounties just to get the next story bit to unlock.

Also I don't really understand how Destiny exists with this respawn thing. Like outside the respawn restricted boss bits, you can beat anything just by doing damage and dying and respawning and repeat over and over? It's weird.

I'll probably stick with and finish this campaign. Not sure if it's worth playing any of the other campaigns afterwards.

Svejk

« Reply #37913 on: February 06, 2022, 12:54:38 PM »
Sekiro
Beat Genchiro at the top of Ashina Castle on 3rd try! First try reaching his last form. (Thanks, Kunai!) I just powered him to a wall and managed to time my mikiris and jumps just right.  Such a relief to have him out of the way.  Explored and wondered into the Sunken Valley.  Seemed like a dead end?  Seems like I'm on a quest to find ingredients or something?  So many choices of directions to go.. will probably head to the Senpou Temple area next. 

Bebpo

« Reply #37914 on: February 06, 2022, 06:50:30 PM »
I don't understand why Destiny doesn't have matchmaking for the non-high-end content that is 1-3 players. It's an MMO, it's more fun and easier co-op. Let me play co-op with randoms.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37915 on: February 06, 2022, 07:55:58 PM »
I don't understand why Destiny doesn't have matchmaking for the non-high-end content that is 1-3 players. It's an MMO, it's more fun and easier co-op. Let me play co-op with randoms.
I was always getting Randos dropping in during the loading process. I’m at a loss trying to figure out why you don’t.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #37916 on: February 06, 2022, 08:50:58 PM »
He is probably referring to the story missions. Those do not have matchmaking
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #37917 on: February 06, 2022, 09:54:57 PM »
He is probably referring to the story missions. Those do not have matchmaking

Yeah, nothing has matchmaking outside strikes.

The planets are populated with randos for like public event stuff, but otherwise all the actual legit things in the game require pre-planned teams outside strikes from what I can tell.

I'm almost done with Forsaken, the difficulty level came WAY DOWN when I realized that swords are awesome for people who don't like shooting guns in FPS games. I just save my sword ammo for bosses or pinches and then just spam sword and use cooldowns for health regen. Been working well so far. Bosses go down fast. Whereas with guns they'd take a while.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #37918 on: February 06, 2022, 11:02:28 PM »
Yes heavy slot items generally do more damage than a rifle
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #37919 on: February 06, 2022, 11:10:14 PM »
Well the thing is that they know sword beats everything so bosses constantly are designed to fuck over your sword by flying or having invuln states constantly and doing 1 hit KO melee range stomps.

Pretty annoying.

The bosses that don't have those go down in like two secs. But like the final boss The Voice of the Riven all flying around so my sword couldn't do anything and even my super kept fucking flying past it and missing it, took foreeever having to use actual guns.

That fight is why I don't play the FPS genre. I somehow beat it after a few deaths but it was just too annoying.