Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3605476 times)

MMaRsu and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Bebpo

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #37980 on: February 16, 2022, 03:02:46 PM »
Been playing licensed games as it is actually my favorite genre:

Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions (PS3, 2010): I was thinking about how many times they've done Spiderverse stuff over the years and there's the TAS version in the 90s, it seems they did it again on Ultimate Spiderman TAS, this game, the follow up game Edge of Time, the actual comic series, Into The Spider-Verse, No Way Home, and Into the Spider-Verse 2. Anyway this is real solid but suffered a loading issue near the end of the game so I didn't finish it, but I beat it previously when it was new so whatever.

Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY (PS3, 2009): Been a while since I replayed this instead of just playing Arkham City. Story is definitely tighter, but the improved mechanics in the follow up games can make this feel a bit stiff and clunky at times. It's still real good, but it isn't as fun as the other Arkham games even if the narrative and structure is a bit better.

The Amazing Spiderman (PS3, 2012):
Much like the Raimi movie tie in games, this is better than it needs to be. It's really like a next gen version of those games and really the template for the PS4 version as well. It's very much coming on the heels of Arkham, with the fighting style being basically exactly the same, but also including a lot of sections of crawling through vents and stealth takedowns. It's kind of interesting that it directly follows up the movie storyline in a completely different direction than the actual movie sequel (the game sequel also does the same thing and brings in Carnage and Kingpin and other closer to the comics stuff), but also didn't get the likenesses of anyone in the movie except Rhys Ifans, who doesn't voice the role.

Batman: Arkham City GOTY (PS3, 2011): Coming directly from TAS1, it will take a bit to get used to it being slower and clunkier than the speedy, free running, high flying Spiderman.

I loved Shattered Dimensions back then. Was one of the best comic book fanservice games there is. The Spider-Man Noir stealth stages were great and 2099 getting representation was fun. Plus lots of Spider-Man villains.

Check out the Spider-Man DS game if you haven't. It's a 2d Metroidvania and pretty solid.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #37981 on: February 16, 2022, 05:55:08 PM »
didn't actually know/remember that bayo and vanquish had received an anniversary edition bundle on PS4. saw it was on sale and picked it up  8) :rejoice

been wanting to replay both of these for quite a while. haven't played either since the 360 days. have bayo 2 on wii u i been keen to play again also.... though i might try it on dolphin instead this time. my wii u pro controller been a bit janky. gonna be sweet to revisit ahead of bayo 3 (still this year sometime?).

picking up forbidden west tomorrow anyway. feels silly to jump into something like this with elden ring there. whatever happens, forbidden west will be dropped for the ring come friday week.
◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #37982 on: February 17, 2022, 12:40:32 AM »

Finished The Frozen Wilds up 100%. That was good stuff. Cool little story of an area. The plot doesn't add a lot to the overall lore but I liked that it was one connected story so all the audio logs you pick up at different parts all relate. One of my issues with the main game was how disconnected a lot of the audio log/text journals were from each other. You actually got to know this area and the people who were working there and what the project was and it ties into to the actual game narrative.

The snow was AMAZING. Literally the best snow area ever in a game. It sucks that you really can't capture it in screenshots because it's such a nice motion effect. There's so many different types of snow from mild snow coming off the mountains to full on white out blizzards. The area is really cool and the snow actually effects your visibility and makes it tougher. Whenever I warped to the main game map after hours in the expansion it was so weird seeing all this bright daylight and clear skies and vegetation colors.

The gameplay was great, definitely upped my skills which should help for Horizon 2. Feel pretty badass and even some of the more obscure challenges like the limited ammo hunters challenge was rewarding to figure out.

I think my only complaint is the Fireclaw enemies are annoying because without having googled it, it seemed like the only way you could immobilize them to get some damage in on their green sac areas outside of many, many ropecasters is to hit the electric nodes on their back with electric arrows. But they track insanely well so getting behind them to aim and fire a shot is a pain in the fucking ass. Maybe I'm just missing something and should google how to kill them efficiently.

I'm fine with Frostclaws and fine with Scorchers once I switched to the quick bow freeze -> hardpoint triple shots.

Some good quests, lots of good combat, resource management and modification management was still kind of a pain in the butt and always full and having to break down parts. Even with spear mods, spear seems useless against anything bigger than a scrapper.

Took me about 13 hours to clear it 100%. Was a solid length. Hopefully Horizon 2 gets a similar expansion.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 12:47:03 AM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #37983 on: February 17, 2022, 12:55:27 AM »

Not my video, but good showcase of the snow effects. I hope Horizon 2 has even better weather effects.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #37984 on: February 17, 2022, 06:14:09 AM »
Started playing The Last Campfire.

Cool little puzzle game, but not sure it has the variety to keep me interested until the end.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #37985 on: February 18, 2022, 01:35:00 AM »
Went back and played AC Valhalla for the first time in a year+ while waiting for Horizon 2 to unlock. Was a bit into the Cent arc and finished the arc and the Cent area 100%.

Going back to Valhalla is...interesting. Like the usual finnicky AC controls, the bugginess of the AI reacting to anything and other glitches (had Basim's speech finish on a horse ride and then start again from scratch on the same ride) stick out as yup AC. And the gameplay balance is absolute zero. Being in a lower power level area since I do everything makes it all a joke if you want to actually get into combat since you 1 shot everyone. It's very much a "let's do a ton of stuff, but nothing particularly great or deep at a core level of controls/gameplay" that AC has been for a long time.

But it's definitely still fun stealthing around a base picking off people and sneaking through grass, climbing around things. The little environmental puzzles which are basically everything non-combat or story are fun. The 2 min world events quests are alright and the setting is still an interesting era and Eivor's VA is pretty good.

Other pros are I appreciate how you can fall from 1,000 feet and just take moderate damage in AC whereas in Horizon the majority of my deaths were from fall damage falling like 30 feet and dying instantly. I also appreciate how fast your sprinting horse moves in AC so you can get around quickly.

What I think I was most surprised about going back to Valhalla was how bad the graphics are. Like the game looked a lot better in my memories, but on the 60fps performance mode it looks really really last-gen. Coming from Horizon ZD, which is also last gen it's just night and day visual difference in the environment. ZD looks a generation ahead of Valhalla.

Anyhow now that Horizon 2's out I'm good on Vahalla for a bit. But it's a decent game when you're in an open-world checklist mood since you can just knock out a section of the map in a day or two and get your fill. I guess that's what GAAS AC Infinite will be.

Svejk

« Reply #37986 on: February 18, 2022, 09:59:46 AM »
Went back and played AC Valhalla for the first time in a year+ while waiting for Horizon 2 to unlock. Was a bit into the Cent arc and finished the arc and the Cent area 100%.

Going back to Valhalla is...interesting. Like the usual finnicky AC controls, the bugginess of the AI reacting to anything and other glitches (had Basim's speech finish on a horse ride and then start again from scratch on the same ride) stick out as yup AC. And the gameplay balance is absolute zero. Being in a lower power level area since I do everything makes it all a joke if you want to actually get into combat since you 1 shot everyone. It's very much a "let's do a ton of stuff, but nothing particularly great or deep at a core level of controls/gameplay" that AC has been for a long time.

But it's definitely still fun stealthing around a base picking off people and sneaking through grass, climbing around things. The little environmental puzzles which are basically everything non-combat or story are fun. The 2 min world events quests are alright and the setting is still an interesting era and Eivor's VA is pretty good.

Other pros are I appreciate how you can fall from 1,000 feet and just take moderate damage in AC whereas in Horizon the majority of my deaths were from fall damage falling like 30 feet and dying instantly. I also appreciate how fast your sprinting horse moves in AC so you can get around quickly.

What I think I was most surprised about going back to Valhalla was how bad the graphics are. Like the game looked a lot better in my memories, but on the 60fps performance mode it looks really really last-gen. Coming from Horizon ZD, which is also last gen it's just night and day visual difference in the environment. ZD looks a generation ahead of Valhalla.

Anyhow now that Horizon 2's out I'm good on Vahalla for a bit. But it's a decent game when you're in an open-world checklist mood since you can just knock out a section of the map in a day or two and get your fill. I guess that's what GAAS AC Infinite will be.
I keep telling myself I'll go back to this... flaws and all, there is a lot to like still...  But now with Elden Ring next week, then I plan on Horizon afterwards... and by the time I finish those, Saints Row will probably be out if not delayed further...  And would like to dive back in Cyberpunk and finish up sides and gigs and possibly even do a different life path... With so many open world games, I don't know when I may actually go back to Valhalla...  I may get a bit hyped again when the new stand alone DLC drops though.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37987 on: February 18, 2022, 12:42:35 PM »
Made it to the final save point in Koudelka. There's a superboss but it seems like it requires a LOT of grinding to kill, and I don't want to subject myself any more to the painfully slow battle system than I have to. Apparently, after every move, the game engine re-loads the battle system... which is some horrible programming and the reason for the slowdown. I also learned that Hiroki Kikuta was involved in this game, not only for the music but actually directing it... which was a shock. But it at least explains why the music sounds like rejects from the Mana series... it's the same guy!

The writing and dialogue in this game is interesting, it's cheesy and over-acted, but it works. The backstories of the characters are fairly interesting... it's rare you see a Gypsy lead in an RPG for instance. And the characters like to bicker between themselves, as they have similar objectives but much different morals and are only together out of convenience. It's a unique and interesting dynamic for the genre, I feel Berseria is another one that has a similar character dynamic, and I really liked it in that game too (Arise attempted this but kinda flubbed it by just making the cast kinda boring).

This game is tough for me to recommend... it's an innovative concept but it unfortunately combines the pitfalls of the survival horror genre (confusing camera angles, awkward movement, mashing the X button to find barely visible items, small inventory) with the pitfalls of the RPG genre (slooooooow battles, weapon breaking, confusing map system, reliance on a guide in parts, difficulty balance all over the place - you'll be one-shotting everything, including the bosses, then come to a boss who you can't even touch because you didn't invest in your DEX stat enough). I mean, like I said the characters are interesting, the game is super atmospheric (a run down Welsh monastery where something truly disturbing occurred), the way it ties into one of my favorite RPG franchises... but don't know if that's enough for people to overlook the flaws. At least the game is pretty short (my clock reads 15:30 at the final save point, and I did a tiny bit of grinding and let the game idle while i fucked around on the phone).
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #37988 on: February 19, 2022, 12:07:37 PM »
Finished Dark Souls 3 last night. Was fun, some frustrating moments, but otherwise pretty easy.

Here's me shitting on Nameless King (who seemed to be arguably the HARDEST boss but I shit on him in 2 tries)

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/demi/video/152559540
fat

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #37989 on: February 19, 2022, 01:23:06 PM »
Almost got got a couple times near the end  :whew
jon

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #37990 on: February 19, 2022, 01:35:55 PM »
The true Dark Souls is the camera
fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37991 on: February 19, 2022, 07:43:16 PM »

This game plays so good now.

The only issue I have is that when I dropped it I did about 20% of the story content but maxed out Street Cred with the gigs and side missions (because you couldn't really tell what was what on the map earlier).
And despite enemies scaling I'm a bit OP for the story content.

Fights are more intense though, enemies actually use their abilities and melee weapons now. Dudes trying to beat me up with hammers as I slice through them with a Katana  :whew
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37992 on: February 19, 2022, 09:29:58 PM »
Valfaris, which is a lot of fun

Bebpo

« Reply #37993 on: February 20, 2022, 02:19:40 AM »
I'm getting way too invested in Horizon 2 time-wise. This is not good with Elden Ring out Friday. Fuckkkk. Gonna have to drop this cold and try to come back a couple weeks later and still remember all this or jump in Elden Ring a few weeks late which is less fun because the passive community MP figuring things out secrets-wise. Guess I'll play a bit of Elden Ring on Friday and decide then.

Not totally loving Horizon 2, but it's good and getting better and is an addictive checkbox/grind game. Just leaving the tutorial area now after 10 hours...

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37994 on: February 20, 2022, 08:01:54 AM »
I'm getting way too invested in Horizon 2 time-wise. This is not good with Elden Ring out Friday. Fuckkkk. Gonna have to drop this cold and try to come back a couple weeks later and still remember all this or jump in Elden Ring a few weeks late which is less fun because the passive community MP figuring things out secrets-wise. Guess I'll play a bit of Elden Ring on Friday and decide then.

Not totally loving Horizon 2, but it's good and getting better and is an addictive checkbox/grind game. Just leaving the tutorial area now after 10 hours...
I currently have have a bunch of unfinished big action adventure games on deck, like Cyberpunk 2077, Sekiro, Valhalla and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and I'm not really sure in what order to play them.  :doge

Also a bunch that I bought last year and haven't even started yet like Paper Mario, Skyward Sword HD and Red Dead Redemption 2.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37995 on: February 20, 2022, 10:38:12 AM »
Went with Xenobrexit Chronicles 2 because why not.

Actually progressed in the story and summoned 2 rare blades :ohhh
🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #37996 on: February 20, 2022, 02:30:40 PM »
did you encounter any blushy crushy yet?
(ice)

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #37997 on: February 21, 2022, 12:15:08 PM »
Grabbed Gears Tactics for pc on the cheap, impressed with it so far
jon

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37998 on: February 21, 2022, 03:12:34 PM »
Valfaris was such a good game.  Highly recommend. 

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37999 on: February 21, 2022, 04:05:41 PM »

:pimp :heart
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #38000 on: February 21, 2022, 04:41:06 PM »
So is the game worth playing now if you like wrpgs?

Svejk

« Reply #38001 on: February 21, 2022, 05:11:25 PM »
Got up to the giant monkey in Sekiro.  It was a good point for me to sheath this game again till later, in time for Elden Ring…  …but holy crap, Sekiro is fucking good.  The way they progress the skill tree is well paced and balanced with progression and just keeps surprising with new gameplay.  The varied locations are brilliant with tons of verticality too.  Fromsoft are simply the shiznit pimps of level design.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #38002 on: February 21, 2022, 05:15:27 PM »
I installed Sekiro as well, but I wont be able to play it for a while. Destiny Witch Queen is tomorrow and it's all hands on dick for that

I did finish that weeb Metroid of Lodoss War game, was aight. Pretty short game, and the difficulty is non existent.
fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38003 on: February 21, 2022, 07:16:04 PM »
So is the game worth playing now if you like wrpgs?
It was always worth playing but pretty much all of the big issues have been fixed now and a ton of QOL improvements have been added.
If you enjoyed the Square Enix Deus Ex games, you will love this.
🤴

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #38004 on: February 23, 2022, 05:09:04 PM »
I've been playing Granstream Saga. Currently up to the fourth (out of four) "island".

This game is interesting, and I hardly see any mention of it. It's made by members of Quintet, post-Terranigma, but it's not nearly as strong as their other games. It's a fully polygonal game set at a birds-eye-view angle (think: original GTA). The graphics look pretty clean for an early polygonal game, boxy/low poly and lacking in all that colorful lighting, but has a very "clean" and crisp look, lacks the glitches and tearing and warping of other PS1 3D games, and runs at a pretty high framerate. But for some reason, there are no faces on characters. Not even a texture map of eyes or anything. It's kind of creepy looking and I think this is why the game got lots of negative press back in the day.

The game has a lot of "downtime" between action/dungeons for a game of its vintage - you're exploring towns, triggering events, talking to NPCs, engaging in non-combat tasks (i.e. like when you have to 'mine' (search the walls) for minerals in a prison labor camp). When you finally get to a dungeon, monsters are wandering around and contact with them brings you into a one on one battle.

In battle, things get a little unorthodox. They play out kind of like a "duel", with tank controls (you're always focused on your enemy, but can sidestep, block, or dash). Combat is interesting at first but quickly gets frustrating. Enemies are faster than you, and will frequently block. You have to be reactive, i.e. as soon as an enemy attacks, you defend (or dodge) and then counter. In a way it's reminiscent a bit of the Souls games. But the problem is that each dungeon only has 2 or 3 different types of enemies. Once you figure out the best strategy against the enemies, it becomes boring and fights drag on forever (especially since both you and other enemies have "lives", and you can only take off one "life" at a time, enemies are constantly blocking or evading you, and once you get into a battle you can't run). You gain levels at set points in the story, and raise your life by finding items (in treasure boxes or nondescript crates/barrels), so most fights won't even reward you with anything (occasionally you'll get extra Gems, the game's currency, or some herbs). So fighting feels pretty overall pointless and I try to avoid battles as much as possible. There's magic you can get but MP doesn't get refilled at inns/save points, instead it's refilled via items or seldomly through defeating an enemy.

The story seems pretty straightforward - enact a "lifting verse" to raise floating continents that are sinking to the void, while an evil empire tries to stop you. It's got that Skies of Arcadia, Castle in the Sky, Baten Kaitos, etc vibe, although this game came out much earlier. Some of the individual vignettes are cool, the volcano on one of the islands will erupt if the balance goes out of whack, so entrants will have to be shuffled to one of the island's axes based on their weight. Another has a DQ5 style forced labor camp section. There are 2 girls who aid you, super polite, demure always apologizing girl, and tomboyish pirate girl, that provide some characterization (there's also a mascot bird character who can get frustrated with the player). But what's nice about the story is there are lots of short (~5 to 10 seconds) anime clips throughout the game, with full English VA, though the VA is pretty awkward.

The translation is a tad awkward with some misspellings. The game was released in America by THQ of all companies, it seemed in the PS1 era even the big western companies wanted to localize whatever RPGs they could get their hands on (see: Guardian's Crusade and Alundra 2 localized by Activision, Grandia localized by Ubi). Apart from the AKI wrestling games, I think THQ games are generally pretty shitty, so this is probably one of their best ever releases.

Music is by the Terranigma composer, and has a new agey theme. Sitars, pan flutes, etc. The battle theme is upbeat synthrock, the kind that feels more at home with mid 90s CD games than late 90s.

Overall, it doesn't seem like a super long game and although the battles get super repetitive, I'm still glad I played it. Playing it nearly 25 years after its Japanese release, some things feel very cliche (i.e. the floating islands, good guy sky pirates, accidentally walking in on a girl showering, even a burly Dogi-wannabe who breaks through walls to save your ass...) but back then it was probably much fresher feeling.
^_^

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #38005 on: February 23, 2022, 08:02:43 PM »
(...) The translation is a tad awkward with some misspellings. The game was released in America by THQ of all companies, it seemed in the PS1 era even the big western companies wanted to localize whatever RPGs they could get their hands on (see: Guardian's Crusade and Alundra 2 localized by Activision, Grandia localized by Ubi). Apart from the AKI wrestling games, I think THQ games are generally pretty shitty, so this is probably one of their best ever releases.
I was not a fan of many THQ games either, but they did release Saints Row and Red Faction: Guerilla in their day. If AKI games were enjoyable for you, check out the NGC era Wrestlemania X8, X9, and Day of Reckoning 1 & 2. Yuke's had 4 employees from AKI working on those.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #38006 on: February 24, 2022, 04:44:54 PM »
the Day of Reckonings had the best hell in a cell in a game :rejoice
(ice)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #38007 on: February 24, 2022, 08:47:30 PM »
I would definitely skip X8, it's real barebones and clunky. Wrestlemania XIX is more refined but still a bit wonky, but the storymode is a beat 'em up brawler with the AKI engine where you can belly to belly suplex security guards and cops off of construction sites and parking garages and shit :jeb . The day of Reckoning games are much better in refining and modernizing the N64 games. The true evolution is Def Jam, though :jeb
(...)
I'm glad you liked them. That was 4 years of my life, developing those.

The AKI guys were transformative for that culture during development. X8 was developed in 1 year, on the then-new NGC hardware, and launched just under half-a-year after the hardware debuted. It was quite a rush. The Create-a-Wrestler feature was a joke; it's basically a way to mix-and-match parts to make wrestlers who weren't on the roster. The chest hair you can select is mine. We had no reference photo, and the Japanese staff didn't have any chest hair, so I stripped off my shirt and they shot that.  :P

In X9 we improved the CAW mode to an insane level, and THQ made us remove a bunch of features immediately before Nintendo submission. That's a whole separate story. Good times.  :-\
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 02:18:54 AM by chronovore »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #38008 on: February 27, 2022, 08:50:58 PM »
I beat Granstream Saga, well... got one of the two endings, which is dependent on a late-game choice. Will go back tomorrow and get the other.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
game gets pretty dark in the later stages, lots of death and 'cycle of rebirth' type stuff... you have 2 love interests for the whole game and at the end you're forced to sacrifice one or the other. So I sacrificed pirate girl, next time I'll sacrifice daintly princess girl
[close]

Still making slow progress with Crash 1 as well. I'm in the middle of the 3rd island, just beat Pinstripe Potoroo.

And also started playing Mega Man X4. I played the shit out of this back upon its release, but never beat it. When I was in college I made it to Sigma's final form but couldn't seal the deal. This time I'll finally do it... Right now I've got 2 more robot masters to go before Sigma's stage. Will probably finish it sometime this week.
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #38009 on: February 28, 2022, 10:24:03 AM »
It's been 1 week since Destiny Witch Queen, and I'm back! Until reset

Witch Queen campaign is easily one of the best if not [the] best campaign. People cumming over Forsaken are taking Ls, Witch Queen is the new bar to set. And the good news is the lead behind Witch Queen is working on the next Expac - Lightfall. The "legendary" campaign hit all the right spots.

Void 3.0 is pretty nice, gives a lot of build and customization options like Stasis before it. Now all classes can use the same grenades, so you arent stuck using the same 3 grenades depending on your class choice.

Excited for the raid this weekend, I'm hoping it becomes the new gold standard there as well.
fat

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #38010 on: March 01, 2022, 03:16:31 PM »
Made it NG+ in Nobody Saves the World. There was a patch around the middle of the game where the difficulty spiked and I died a bit, but once you gain access to the more powerful forms you're pretty much unstoppable and the latter third of the game was a cakewalk. NG+ is where the game really begins though, the modifiers get really crazy so you need to experiment with all sorts of builds to succeed. Heaps of fun! Working on S ranking all of my forms as I progress, so well on the way to 1000/1000

Been playing a little Elden Ring too, but can't give it my full attention until I've 1k'ed the little indie gem NSTW lol. Be wary of rump

Polident Hive

« Reply #38011 on: March 06, 2022, 05:47:16 PM »
The Batman got me in the mood for more Batman. Figured I'd give those Telltale games a shot between Elden Ring sessions. Pretty cool. In the end they never got rid of the funkiness of these. Versions are whatever they gave away the twitch prime deal, some re-released with a noir mode.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #38012 on: March 11, 2022, 06:57:07 AM »
Been trying to play Earthbound Beginnings. Man I hate random encounters.
Spud

BikeJesus

« Reply #38013 on: March 12, 2022, 07:34:15 PM »
Got my Steam Deck so I'm going through my indie/2D backlog.

Octopath Traveller is like comfort food for someone who grew up on snes jrpgs.

Tails of Iron is a lovely 2D souls like where you play as a rat against the frog hordes. Very brutal, and the narration is by Geralt from Witcher.

The Deck is a fantastic device. Tons of games that haven't been verified work fine as well. Farcry 4 said it didn't have any info yet, but it is running at 60fps at high settings.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #38014 on: March 12, 2022, 11:47:30 PM »
Been trying to play Earthbound Beginnings. Man I hate random encounters.

Wait till you get to Mt Itoi... One of the most grueling final dungeons/grind in any RPG.
^_^

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #38015 on: March 14, 2022, 01:03:33 PM »
Playing some new stuff:

Crash 1 - kinda put this on the backburner because I keep dying near the end of Lights Out, and dying there means I have to replay Slippery Slopes. I really hate the save/continue system in this game, that coupled with the super long levels and wonky hit detection.

But for some reason, I picked up Crash 2. Much better, especially now that you can save after every level. The levels are also not nearly as long, though a few of them have some annoying elements and the hit detection still sucks. I managed to beat it, including the secret stages, though only got the colored gems (not the white ones), so not a true 100% clear. Oh well.

I beat MMX4 too, finally. Did X's route and am up to the Sigma stages for Zero's route.

And also am playing Legend of Mana. This is my 3rd time trying to play through, the first 2 times I've dropped due to getting bored. Using a guide as to not miss anything, since IIRC if you don't place the artifacts on the map properly you can get locked out of some quests. I didn't really like the lack of overarching plot and how it only really had a bunch of little sidequests at the time, nor the almost brainless difficulty level, nor the over-systemization of the game (crafting golems, crafting weapons, raising monsters, etc, none of which seems all that necessary), hence why I dropped. But having played a few western RPGs in the meanwhile since 2001(?) I'm a bit more familiar with nonlinear gameplay and quests like this... and the mindless difficulty is a bit of a relief after more challenging games like Crash and Granstream Saga. I'm like maybe 1/3 of the way through the quests. It's a bit more enjoyable to me as I'm not really engaging much with the crafting systems and following a guide so I'm not running around aimlessly trying to trigger new events nor having anxiety about missables. I just love the artwork, and even the music is decent (I'm not a big Shimomura fan).
^_^

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #38016 on: March 21, 2022, 11:13:36 AM »
Just got 2 more quests to go before Legend of Mana is complete. The game wasn't really very endearing to me. The "precious moments" art style was unique for the genre but I still preferred the art in 2 and 3. The backgrounds are beautiful but they repeat too much making navigation super confusing (it doesn't help that everything is presented on a belt-scroller style angle with passages up and down, instead of more twisty and windy layouts like the other games. I didn't like how too many quests required being in the right place at the right time to discover, playing this without a guide would've been a nightmare.

I also played through Tail Gator, a fun little arcadey action platformer for Game Boy. Limited Run did a re-release of this for some reason so I picked that up (since the original game CIB can go for $500+). It moves a tiny bit slow, your jumps are kinda floaty, but it's enjoyable and the amount of onscreen enemies is quite impressive. Unlimited continues and a password feature made it pretty manageable - the first 2 levels I breezed through but the difficulty ramped way up in the 3rd level, with tricky Mega Man style disappearing blocks and monsters coming at you every which way (but the final set of levels wasn't all that bad).

My fiancee bought me Kid Icarus GB for Christmas last year so that'll be my next playthrough.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #38017 on: March 26, 2022, 08:10:46 PM »

Finished FF Origin - Stranger in Paradise aka Jack & Chaos buddy game. Took about 22 hours on normal with about half the sidequests done along the way.

Despite the jokes, this was a damn good technical character action game. The stages are fun and there's a lot of build variety like Dark Souls, there's a good # of stages and each has a boss fight and almost all of the bosses are real good and a really technical dance of parrying, dodging, blocking and getting hits in.

This is a game where if you get over-eager, you get dead. It plays a lot like DMC's Royal Guard and Sekiro boss combat. Very technical reacting to boss moves. One reason is that unlike a lot of character action games you can't parry/dodge instantly out of an attack animation. Once you attack you're committed and boss moves (and even normal enemies) come out FAST. So doing a 3 hit combo is likely to have the boss do a move by the 3rd hit and murder you for 75% of your HP and maybe guard crush to finish the one-shot. Better to get a couple hits in unless you know it's safe.

On the offense you get like 30 different playing jobs with their unique abilities, like 6-8 weapon types with their own combo enders you can set. And a whole ton of instant abilities that you can fire off if you have MP (which you gain from hits or successful parries). The job types & instant ability (called command abilities) shuffling is basically the meat & potatoes of creating your own style for dungeons/bosses while reacting defensively.

On normal, the game is pretty hard. It was definitely the hardest action game I've played since Sekiro. Bosses took me about 15-30 mins on average with the final boss taking about an hour to get down. It's really just learning patterns and figuring out good offensive strats. Real satisfying stuff.

Dungeons are a lot of fun for experimentation of different jobs. I used all the jobs by the end and some clicked and some didn't click at all. Lotta fun useful jobs in there. There's some quality dungeon designs in there too like the FF12 stage.

The story was fine. Like if you compare it to similar games in the genre (DMCs, Bayonettas, NGs, etc...) it's got a better story than most of those  :lol  It's not a lengthy story filled with tons of cutscenes, but it's a story and there are cutscenes and Jack basically smacks down jrpg tropes for a lot of it. Jack isn't Dante or Bayonetta, but he's a solid lead character. Ending is good.

Oh and the story is crazy like KH style Nojima twists and turns plot.

The graphics are fine, feels like playing a PS3 From Soft game, maybe PS4. Runs mostly 60fps on PS5 but drops all around but doesn't really effect the gameplay much. Sometimes it feels cheap like input lag kills you but it's usually just you were committed to an attack animation and that's why you died. Being unable to break out of attacks defensively makes the game a lot tougher than most character action games, but it also just makes it a more technical combat of being defensively aware of what's going on and not mashing.

Music was ok. You get to go through stages from every FF game in existence, but you barely recognize any of the tunes because they only use a few chimes and it's mostly original music.

English dub VA is great. I always play Japanese games in Japanese audio, but English just fits Jack better here.

Honestly, as an action game I'm real satisfied. I think this is a better character action game than Bayonetta 2 and MGR and is about on par with DMCV and less good than like the old school greats of DMC3/NG:B/Bayonetta 1. The one difference is it's not combo heavy and instead focuses more on weaknesses with all the FF elements and enemies having elemental weakpoints.

As an FF spinoff, it's probably one of the better ones and it's not Dirge of Cerebus crappy game. This one actually plays well and the story is fine. But it's also not super FF fanservice-y like World of FF or Chocobo Racing or Theaterhythm. Yeah the jobs and enemies are from FF, but it feels 75% like an original action game, 25% like FF fanservice dressing.

I'd actually say the game isn't super recommendable to people who just like FF, but it's highly recommendable to people that like technical action games even if they couldn't give a shit about the FF franchise. It has some Souls stuff, but the Souls DNA is a very small part like Sekiro so I wouldn't say it's necessarily for Souls fans. A lot of people coming from Elden Ring were having trouble with it in the Era thread because it's more a technical character action game which is a pretty different genre.

I love technical character action games though, so this is one of the best games I've played so far in 2022 and best action game since Sekiro. Very much was worth full price and I'll pick up the DLCs when they come out for more bosses and whatever crazy alternative ending stories they tell.

4 random geared goofy parties out of 5
Better game than Horizon 2.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 08:53:22 PM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #38018 on: March 26, 2022, 10:52:12 PM »
Hmmm, ok, the one area where it doesn't really hold up to like DMC or Bayo is there isn't much of a post-game. You can replay all the stages on CHAOS difficulty which ups the enemy level and gear drops progressively to replay the campaign and still have it be challenging. And there's co-op to do this with other people. But by ~25-30 hours in you have all the jobs and moves/abilities unlocked so there's nothing to grind towards or mix up your moveset. The enemies are the same just one or two-shotting you and taking more effort to kill, but nothing really new to make it interesting. Enemy layouts seem the same, boss movesets seem the same.

Not sure if I'll play it more than once, but still fine with it being a good 20-25 action game even if there's not much replayability.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #38019 on: March 27, 2022, 09:24:21 PM »
I am not enjoying Sekiro, at all

This combat is dogshit, and I dealt with enough Parrying in Bloodborne
fat

Svejk

« Reply #38020 on: March 28, 2022, 09:59:46 AM »
Daughter and I beat the main campaign in MHW! Onward to Iceborne finally!

Well, actually we're going to grind Xeno'jiiva a few times to get the armor sets if possible, as we both like it a lot. It was WAY easier than the prior 3 monsters. They were so darn frustrating!

It's weird though... We were both at HR 15 before the last boss. After we beat it, hers jumped to HR20, but mine jumped to HR25 for some reason.  ???

Hamarr

« Reply #38021 on: March 28, 2022, 11:53:44 PM »
It's been 1 week since Destiny Witch Queen, and I'm back! Until reset

Witch Queen campaign is easily one of the best if not [the] best campaign. People cumming over Forsaken are taking Ls, Witch Queen is the new bar to set. And the good news is the lead behind Witch Queen is working on the next Expac - Lightfall. The "legendary" campaign hit all the right spots.

Void 3.0 is pretty nice, gives a lot of build and customization options like Stasis before it. Now all classes can use the same grenades, so you arent stuck using the same 3 grenades depending on your class choice.

Excited for the raid this weekend, I'm hoping it becomes the new gold standard there as well.

How is the raid?  I am mostly a solo player, but Witch Queen is a blast so far.  I’m enjoying most of the new content. 

I also got Tiny Tina’s Wonderland recently.  It seems like no one else is okaying it with all of the other releases.  So far, it’s a bit more fun than he Borderlands 3, but maybe not as deep?  They lean a bit more into RPG stuff like more gear slots, and actual stat points for your character.  The character creation is decently in depth. I haven’t gotten to where you have a second class yet.  The spell system is pretty fun, and the melee weapons, too.

The overworld is a cool idea, too. The enemies feel a bit repetitive but the gameplay feels more fun overall than the mainline Borderlands to me.

I was also playing a little AC Valhalla here and there.  It’s so mindless and repetitive but great for having something to do while listening to books or lectures or podcasts.  For some reason I bought Rafnorak but still have a ton o do in the main game and the other expansions.  I’m doing the Druid one right now.

Also, I suck at the drinking mini game.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #38022 on: March 29, 2022, 09:59:35 AM »
Dragon Valor for PS1. It's a fun game that's somewhere between a brawler and an action RPG in its level of complexity. Multiple routes through the game (depending on a few choices you make during the way) add some nice replay value, the music is good too, and the controls are solid. Graphics are rather mediocre and the character models look silly, it definitely feels dated considering that it was made by Namco, who made some of the most technically impressive PS1 games (Tekken 3, Soul Blade, Ridge Racer 4). I'm enjoying it though!
^_^

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #38023 on: March 30, 2022, 05:41:07 PM »
I got the Arcade1up MK2 Midway Legacy deluxe edition on clearance from Best Buy.  The quality is definitely a step up from the wave 1 cabinets I have.  But why did they put Paperboy on there?  It plays like crap with a joystick.  Something like Robotron would have been a much better fit.

Svejk

« Reply #38024 on: March 31, 2022, 08:59:53 PM »
Being a bit meh on FFVI Pixel Remaster, went back to playing Chrono Trigger DS.  I still can't get over the QOL they did for this port!  The UX is just sublime.  Every classic RPG from 8 to 32 bit era should be ported like this.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #38025 on: April 02, 2022, 01:29:41 PM »
Finished Sekiro

Not my favorite game. I wouldnt even call it a Souls, felt more like a generic action game. Glad its over and I can move on.

Probably play Tiny Tina Wonderland and Stranger of Paradise next. I do want to play another Souls... maybe Code Vein
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #38026 on: April 02, 2022, 01:53:17 PM »
Congrats. Beating Sekiro is legit.

You'll probably like Stranger in Paradise more. It's not better than Sekiro but it's probably more up your alley for action games.

Bebpo

« Reply #38027 on: April 02, 2022, 01:54:04 PM »
Being a bit meh on FFVI Pixel Remaster, went back to playing Chrono Trigger DS.  I still can't get over the QOL they did for this port!  The UX is just sublime.  Every classic RPG from 8 to 32 bit era should be ported like this.

What turned you off of FFVI?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #38028 on: April 03, 2022, 03:33:50 PM »
Tiny Tina is enjoyable. It's definitely "just" borderlands, but I'm enjoying the set pieces and the whole "overworld" thing. Nice sense of progression. And it doesn't go too overboard on all the collectible shit. Even doing all these grants you perma-buffs in the game, if you want.
fat

Svejk

« Reply #38029 on: April 04, 2022, 10:58:53 AM »

What turned you off of FFVI?
It's not the game itself, it's the platform I got it on; Android.  I wanted it to be super accessible in my pocket at any time, but the lack of one-handed mode sucks and the touch screen button UI in landscape is pretty clumsy and lacks options. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #38030 on: April 04, 2022, 08:40:43 PM »
Getting bored with Ghost of Tsushima. Probably need to try to finish it before I can't remember the controls. It's a pretty game, even more so in 4K 60fps, but it's the same grouping of enemies all the time now, health upgrades seem pointless compared to minmaxing the loadout for Resolve-based healing, and the "getting hotter/getting colder" vibration feature is not clear in comparison to, say, Red Dead Online.

Tried out GTA Online's PS5-native version. There are some UI changes that caught me up and frustrated me heavily, but now almost make sense. It's not like GTAV's menu options were ever good. They have consistently been text-heavy, opaque, and overloaded. Now they've tried to trim it back, and focused on Playlists instead of individual Jobs, which makes sense, but they're still difficult.

Polident Hive

« Reply #38031 on: April 05, 2022, 05:43:28 AM »
Accidentally started going through the Kirby series again. Only intended to try out this colorization rom hack for the first game. Finished it in half an hour, so I moved onto Dreamland 2. My understanding is that Adventure on NES released between those two, but since it has a remake on GBA, I’ll play that.

I’m surprised how little nostalgia I have for Kirby 1. Before going in I forgot it lacked the copy gimmick. Dreamland 2 and the 64 game, the animal and power combos were somehow retained since the Clinton era.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #38032 on: April 05, 2022, 09:42:40 AM »
I beat Tiny Tina's Wonderland last night, just got the post-game Chaos Chamber left to do. It was fun.
©@©™

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #38033 on: April 08, 2022, 03:14:30 PM »
Beat 2/3 of the Dragon Valor routes. It's a pretty fun game but I don't think I needed to do all 3 routes back to back, things have gotten a bit repetitive (though there is some new content between the routes, there's still a lot of repetitive content). Although I am nearing the end of the 3rd route and thus my playthrough. I was reading some reviews from back in the day and mainstream media absolutely eviscerated this game. Which I'm surprised at, since it's certainly entertaining and competent in most areas, with some fun boss battles and a couple bangers on the soundtrack. The story is pretty plain and it feels quite 'quaint' and unpretentious compared to the constant stream of legendary RPGs of the PS1 era, but whatevs.

Also playing Tomba 2 and I'm not really as into it as the original, and I wasn't hugely into the original. I feel it's kinda glitched on the PS3, especially the music since the bgm will stop playing and then revert to some skippy glitchy sound after a few minutes. The fetch questy gameplay gets old fast and the perspective changes are a bit confusing and difficult to follow.

Gonna start Mega Man X5 this weekend. Never played it but picked up a beautiful condition copy for $18 a few weeks ago. I hear mixed things about this one (I've only played 1, 2, and 4 out of the X series, with 4 being my favorite).
^_^

Polident Hive

« Reply #38034 on: April 11, 2022, 01:25:55 AM »
Kirby update: don't see myself plaything through the full series. My nostalgia with the series starts getting thin after 64. GBA, DS, and Wii are a blur outside of canvas curse and epic yarn.

I'm really learning for the first time how they approached the GBA/DS similarly to the Castlevania games. Reusing sprites and mixing things up. Reading about it, around that time Sakurai's involvement lessened or stopped.

Anyway, all have been really fun. If I look beyond my nostalgia, I'd be harder on Kirby 64. Main gimmick of combining powers is great. But it's slow and clunky. The 2.5d gimmicks and camera angles detract from the feel. It's a product of its time.

paprikastaude

« Reply #38035 on: April 13, 2022, 01:44:34 PM »
Panzer Dragoon Orta - First time playing any PD; pretty cool and easy to see why the RPG version would be a perfect fit. The controls could be a little more intuitive, but I blame the OG Xbox controller.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #38036 on: April 13, 2022, 02:15:06 PM »
Was getting back into Phantasy Star Online but my save file got corrupted.  Fucking RetroArch.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #38037 on: April 16, 2022, 10:55:24 PM »
Stranger of Paradise - This game rules. Also despite the LUL videos shared online, all of that happens VERY early on and there actually isn't really any more cutscenes like that (that's why you hardly see any clips beyond the popular ones shared around). Got all 1000 on it, since it's very easy to farm level 300 gear, not that there's any reason to play hard difficulty.

Tiny Tina Wonderlands - Nice condensed Borderlands experience, after Borderlands 3. Enjoyed this one, it didn't feel like it overstayed its welcome. Got 1000/1000 thanks to a dupe glitch for gold.

Narita Boy - Played this before it left GamePass. Was ok, nice visuals.

Code Vein - Currently playing. Very slow and badly balanced. Apparently you DONT want to level up, as it completely screws up other aspects of grinding. Also your co-op partner pretty much solos the entire game themself. Not unlike Stranger of Paradise's AI partners.
fat

Beezy

« Reply #38038 on: April 17, 2022, 04:26:02 AM »
Code Vein - Currently playing. Very slow and badly balanced. Apparently you DONT want to level up, as it completely screws up other aspects of grinding. Also your co-op partner pretty much solos the entire game themself. Not unlike Stranger of Paradise's AI partners.
Good to know. I planned to go back to this after I finish my second run through Scarlet Nexus.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #38039 on: April 17, 2022, 06:21:19 AM »
Yeah I saw this post on Reddit, explains everything pretty much

https://old.reddit.com/r/codevein/comments/dc49y8/recommended_levels_for_each_area/f544k9u/

Also I've just been having the co-op partner solo everything while I kite enemies around
fat