Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3605530 times)

paprikastaude

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #37740 on: December 15, 2021, 08:51:13 PM »
Why can't these consoles just do normal activity logs again :cat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37741 on: December 16, 2021, 01:18:30 AM »
Guild of Dungeoneers continues to be oddly stress relieving while suspenseful.
Ghost of Tsushima singleplayer is compelling enough, but there are some Suckerpunch janky bits:
  • That gold bird that flies around to point out interesting stuff has trouble; the AI makes it fly into the ground and into walls and then land randomly. It breaks my immersion for some reason.
  • No clear lock-on for managing a multiple opponent fight. Yes, I know it's there, but it's not intuitive. And somehow I end up facing away from even a single remaining opponent, after taking out the others. WTF, just whip my facing around, Suckerpunch.
  • Simple side missions have very utilitarian cinematics -- I mean, these are light years beyond the utter jank of inFamous 1's in-engine garbage, which was laughably rough. I suppose I should be praising these instead.

The fights are fun. Taking down Mongol bases is fun. It's a bit like Assassin's Creed.

Coax

« Reply #37742 on: December 16, 2021, 05:36:11 AM »
Began playing Death's Door after seeing it on sale. Charming little top-down action RPG-lite. First proper level jumps you pretty much straight into a boss fight.

Has a very forgiving death system where you don't lose spendable gems on bosses IIRC, only if dying to regular enemies.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37743 on: December 16, 2021, 08:33:08 PM »
Great Ace attorney was my number one at about 40 hours. That was about it, without my commute there's no reason to play this thing really except for smt 5.

Oh my God aliens fire team fucking sucks, what a bland and terrible looking game especially when you put it next to isolation

Did you end up playing Alien: Isolation in VR or regular flatspace? I hear it's overwhelmingly scary in VR.

« Reply #37744 on: December 17, 2021, 02:50:03 AM »
Had pre-ordered Kubinashi Recollection on a whim expecting the usual pretty average to subpar Touhou fan game that'd live off its charm. Well it released on the West e-store around last week and surprisingly it's one of the most fun games I've played in ages.

It's a nice platforming/puzzle game, the puzzles aren't too difficult to ruin the fun for someone who kinda sucks at puzzle games like me, but they aren't so easy as to be brain dead. Couple of them should stump a few people. The platforming mechanics, while not Mario, are solid enough to allow you to cheese couple of solutions too.

From what I can tell it has 10 worlds with 5 stage each and so far each world has been unique, which is kind of impressive I guess.

So far the only thing I'm iffy on is the time challenge ranking for each level which I guess is where the main challenge for this game comes from. I don't know if the creator had LilKirbs as a play tester or what, but the rankings are on ridiculously tight timer. Which is fair enough for S rank, which I don't think I've gotten a single one of, but even for B rank which is second from bottom it's pretty tight.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37745 on: December 18, 2021, 02:44:01 PM »
Played through The Great Circus Mystery for SNES last night, that was the second of the 3 Capcom Mickey games... it was alright, some parts were a tad challenging due to the sluggish controls but the game was super generous with its extra lives, continue checkpoints, and health... so I was able to make short work of it. I don't like the 'power ups' in this one, especially the donkey whose jumps are really unresponsive. Probably the weakest of the 3 games in the SNES Mickey trilogy.

Also finally beat Tokyo Xanadu, including the extra chapter (which was pretty pointless). Doing a quick NG+ run to see the bonding events I missed and to play the 6 new dungeons that unlock in NG+, and then it's time to move on.
^_^

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #37746 on: December 19, 2021, 04:40:39 PM »
halo infinite multi be spoiling me. even going back to finish off the "sam's story" dlc in metro exodus felt janky, and the gunplay in that game feels really good. took ~30mins of gameplay to acclimatize... sam's story do be fantastic dlc though. have put in ~7hours i think so must be nearing the end, though ive mucked around quite a bit and been doing all the sidequests. took a long time to get into exodus but once I "got" the game, it's become one of my favourite fps campaigns and my favourite in the metro series comfortably. sam's story has really pushed it over the top, very, very good fps scenario. not perfect, their boss design still kinda sucks but they really tried with this dlc, and attempted something new for them with a recurring boss type.

it's fantastic seeing 4A write a sccenario for a main character that's not silent. their american characterization with sam is really fun. there's even some elements that give it a bit of a post apocalyptic bond/metal gear vibe. really cool stuff. a direct continuation of the main scenario and the best part of the game
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 04:45:11 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37747 on: December 21, 2021, 01:37:12 PM »
Metro has subpar shooting in general, it's why i dropped all three titles before the end.

naff

« Reply #37748 on: December 21, 2021, 02:37:29 PM »
I think metro, esp exodus, is a cut above the average fps. I love the scrappy unique feel, weapons are very grounded and weighty, not as over the top in physics as resi 8s swaying, or weightless laser pointers. Well balanced. scrounging together bullets and utilising the ball bearing gun effectively is pretty satisfying. always like cobbling the funny guns together and turning them into makeshift masterpieces.
◕‿◕

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #37749 on: December 22, 2021, 05:00:04 AM »
Played some Loop Hero today.

Great little game. Hard to categorise or explain, but definitely a unique little experience.
Spud

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37750 on: December 22, 2021, 10:25:05 AM »
Tried out Cotton Rock'N'Roll (Fantasy) for a bit.  First impressions are pretty positive- seems like a really fun game!  No need to worry about performance issues like with the City Connection games- this one is all brand new and it's the same developer as the recent Umihara Kawase games.  Has the same type of look, using 3D graphics, but it's all clean and colorful.  You can select from different characters to use right from the start and the game runs in 100% full English.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37751 on: December 22, 2021, 11:39:07 PM »
Did a run on Cotton Rock'N'Roll and cleared the game once with Cotton.  It unlocked the boss as a playable character and another stage- there's several more to unlock and they pop up in the story mode as selectable levels.  Not sure if just clearing the game over and over unlocks them or if you have to do it on different difficulty levels or with different characters.  They play differently from each other, which is nice.

It looked like there were 3D levels in the trailer, but it turns out that these are only bonus stages.  Would have been cool to have both types of levels, but oh well. 

There's not a lot of story given that this is a SHMUP, but I like the goofy expressions all over the cut scenes.

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

The story is pretty much "Cotton is an asshole and doesn't remember knocking the end boss into space, who has now come for revenge."

« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 07:01:44 AM by bork »
ど助平

« Reply #37752 on: December 24, 2021, 04:07:03 AM »
Tales of Arise was dogshit. It’s probably the worst Tales game I’ve ever played.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37753 on: December 24, 2021, 09:08:21 AM »
Tales of Arise was dogshit. It’s probably the worst Tales game I’ve ever played.

:crazy
dog

Coax

« Reply #37754 on: December 25, 2021, 12:07:53 AM »
Wasn't expecting to but 100%'d Death's Door. Really enjoyed it. Spent about 12 hours for the regular ending.

• Combat is decent, particularly the solid mini/main boss fights and 'avarice' challenges (an arena where you fight waves of enemies to unlock new abilities after a boss fight). Most of the regions blend exploration/occasional puzzles well and some of the late-game regions make interesting use of the environment.
  • Pleasant music. Manages to squeeze a bunch of world themes out of a single motif but they're actually good :p
  • General charm with appropriately matched writing.
  • Death doesn't make you lose anything I found soon after my original post earlier. If you die you simply go back to the nearest fast travel door.
  • Concise level design with landmarks and no map to refer to. Characters/clues can give you a general direction without it being a tedious trek like a vast open world would. Home hub doors serve as fast travel between areas.
  • Hitting destructible objects/enemies refills magic/arrows. Turns the typically compulsive Zelda-esque crate/pot smashing into a useful mechanic (and only very occasionally items are found it them anyway).
  • By the post-credits game where a number of items are required to be collected I already had all but three since it was part of a natural process. Made 100%'ing for the secret ending easier.

Had a satisfyingly 'complete' feeling to it and didn't overstay its welcome which was nice.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 12:12:21 AM by Coax »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37755 on: December 29, 2021, 04:21:09 PM »
I'm playing SaGa Frontier Remastered. I haven't played this in a while and it has such nostalgia for me. I've always loved the diverse settings and environments and overall 'vibe' in this game. Been playing with a guide to do a lot of the sidequests I could never figure out when I was a kid (the rune/arcane quests in particular). Played through Emilia's and Blue's quest so far, and up to the Point of No Return in T260's (but doing a bit of grinding in the Bio Lab first). I've been taking advantage of the New Game+ feature but trying to build up a few different characters and do some different sidequests on my playthroughs (i.e. I went for Light/Rune/Time Magic on Emilia's quest, and Shadow/Arcane/Space on Blue's, did the Bio Lab on Emilia's, and the Owmi Mansion on Blue's) - think I have done all of the sidequests except for Furdo's mansion.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #37756 on: December 29, 2021, 06:16:19 PM »
Nice, game is amazing. Will be in my top5 for GoTY 2021. It's such a good version of a really cool game. Worth playing all the stories.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37757 on: December 29, 2021, 06:29:35 PM »
Nice, game is amazing. Will be in my top5 for GoTY 2021. It's such a good version of a really cool game. Worth playing all the stories.

I've always loved the game (even with its out-of-whack balance, obtuse systems, saving in areas you can't leave effectively deadlocking your game, and nonlinearity) but back in the day only really beat Red's quest (made decent progress in a few of the others, T260 I remember getting stuck at the final area for instance)... so playing through this and the new chapter is something I've been eager to do.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 12:07:16 AM by tiesto »
^_^

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #37758 on: December 31, 2021, 08:10:46 AM »
Bought Ready or Not (Swat 4 Gold but new)

And Escape from Tarkov

Both very tactical games but both very fun in their own way
What

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #37759 on: January 02, 2022, 07:06:10 PM »
It would have been cool if they called it Ready or SWAT.
©@©™

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37760 on: January 02, 2022, 11:09:17 PM »
Just have to beat Red's final dungeon in SaGa Frontier Remastered, then it's off to do the brand new Fuse chapter in this edition.
^_^

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #37761 on: January 03, 2022, 10:35:16 AM »
The writing in Far Cry 6 is really really bad.

Unless the point of it is that I'm meant to hate the main character and her/his group of friends.

Breaking point was when our group of "heroes" lynched one of the antagonists and started taking selfies, then at the afterparty one of the characters walks up and starts talking about how hard it is to be a vegan... Jesus Christ, why is modern game writing such fucking garbage.

Literally every action taken by "the good guys" is through emotion and not a single well thought out plan. The dictator is literally a better person than this group of fuck ups. At least there's some reason to his actions.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #37762 on: January 03, 2022, 01:28:05 PM »
That's been the case with every FC game since 2.  2 was definitely the worst (though I haven't played 6 yet).  Like why am I killing myself to save these douchebag rich kids?

Haven't been gaming too much lately.  I got the MyArcade SF2CE mini cabinet from Target for $20.  Definitely better than their older stuff but the joystick is still kinda crap.  Also got back into Phantasy Star Online via a modded PS Classic, but I'm not sure how far I'll get through the game single player.  Played a few ROM hacks, mostly NARC Uncut, which puts back in the violence and drug references cut for the NES version.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #37763 on: January 03, 2022, 02:31:41 PM »
That's been the case with every FC game since 2.  2 was definitely the worst (though I haven't played 6 yet).  Like why am I killing myself to save these douchebag rich kids?

That's Far Cry 3. Far Cry 2 is the one in Africa with the malaria mechanic.

These characters are so much worse than the ones in 3. At least the ones in 3 barely show up in the game. The ones in this like to talk down to the player.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #37764 on: January 03, 2022, 04:34:11 PM »

Unless the point of it is that I'm meant to hate the main character and her/his group of friends.

Breaking point was when our group of "heroes" lynched one of the antagonists and started taking selfies, then at the afterparty one of the characters walks up and starts talking about how hard it is to be a vegan... Jesus Christ, why is modern game writing such fucking garbage.

Literally every action taken by "the good guys" is through emotion and not a single well thought out plan. The dictator is literally a better person than this group of fuck ups. At least there's some reason to his actions.
Because modern games writers are garbage and the whole medium and the media surrounding it has been overtaken by a bunch of pseudo-activist wannabe revolutionaries who think their ideas about overthrowing capitalism are groundbreaking.

Meanwhile, the entire industry is the most consumer-driven and "fuck you" capitalist industry outside of social media circles of hell.

Who would write for video games with television productions riding so high with unprecedented budgets and production values? Shit writers, that's who.
Spud

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37765 on: January 03, 2022, 04:44:06 PM »
I enjoy many Ubisoft games, but their writing is particularly bad on a consistent basis.
I can't even remember one game of theirs with decent writing since, like Beyond Good & Evil, maybe.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #37766 on: January 03, 2022, 07:02:36 PM »
I think what irks me is that it's actively preaching at the player. Like the Last of Us 2 synagogue scene with the jewish character talking down to the player about the holocaust. Literal condescension towards the player. It wouldn't be that bad if these things were of actual relevance to the story, but it's literally the writer stepping in to talk down to you about shit.

It isn't just that the writing is bad, it's offensively bad.

Hamarr

« Reply #37767 on: January 03, 2022, 11:10:08 PM »

Yes.  I would agree, especially if you get through the ending and find his motivation for a bit of it. 

Far Cry 6 was probably the worst from the standpoint of everything seeming inconsequential.  I’m guessing they didn’t have much time with the main bad guy but he’s not in the game anywhere enough to be well developed.  The other characters just annoyed me.  I’m not usually big on stories in games, but everything else in Ubisoft open world games is so cool and paste that the story needs to be at least somewhat compelling.  There’s an endgame where you retake zones in a weekly quest.  I couldn’t be arsed and uninstalled the game.

I have been bouncing around between Halo Infinite, Forza, Battlefront 2, Diablo 2 and BF 2042.  I picked up a bunch of stuff on sale.  I also got Metroid Dread but haven’t fired it up yet.  I haven’t been this into games upon years but it was kind of fun to veg over the holiday break.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37768 on: January 04, 2022, 12:26:38 AM »
Play a game in 2021 2022 for the stories, brehs...
Read a book.
Then play a game.
You'll probably be happier.

Hamarr

« Reply #37769 on: January 04, 2022, 12:33:11 AM »
Play Ubi junk while listening to podcasts imo.

paprikastaude

« Reply #37770 on: January 04, 2022, 02:04:38 AM »
Don't play Ubi whether it's from last year or 15 years ago imo.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37771 on: January 04, 2022, 06:18:53 AM »
Actually Far Cry 5 was pretty funny how it confused both sides of the political spectrum, as it wasn't clear who it was making fun of.  :lol

You had people on Era-like places going on about the ending legitimizing white supremacists, and 4chan-like places, angry about "le white man bad" aesthetics.  :doge

It was still insufferable and i tried to skip all cutscenes i was allowed to, but that was amusing (and obv. not done on purpose).

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #37772 on: January 04, 2022, 08:14:15 AM »
It's what made me not hate that one.

Having a somewhat interesting take through sheer incompetence is preferable above the writers taking a hard stance and failing to deliver anything.

You even have gun nuts flocking to the Cult's choir music.

Ubisoft turned off the comments after the Rittenhouse verdict. Fucking amazing.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #37773 on: January 04, 2022, 10:08:05 AM »
Damn Tarkov got its hooks in me!
What

Bebpo

« Reply #37774 on: January 04, 2022, 03:42:43 PM »
Been getting back to Guardians in the Galaxy. This game is a real good Uncharted. I think I'm enjoying it more than the Tomb Raider Uncharteds. Worse platforming, but way better dialogue.

I was worried about the combat but it's actually pretty fun with the assists. Feels like the kind of battle system you'd get out of a Japanese action (not character action) game in PS2/PS3/PS4 days.

The art tech is super nice too. Art design is solid but all the shiny tech makes it look great.

I maintain that the problem with Avengers is that you cannot make a good platformer where you play as multiple characters with different traversal options on the same stages without any variations to the stages. Even in Guardians, while you can sorta control the other team members, you can only play as one base character for all the traversal/platforming so the stages can be tailored around that.

There is just no fucking way to make a stage that platforming challenges flying Iron Man/Thor, swinging Spiderman, and grounded characters like Black Widow/Hulk/Kamala/Panther. So instead the Avengers game just made extremely bland stages where everyone can magically jump a billion feet or swing up to some heights or wall run every chasm. Just not satisfying.

I think the only way to pull that off would be to have stage variations in a single player game where the stages themselves are modified to different variants based on which hero you play as. But that obviously wouldn't work in MP so yeah it's pretty much fucked.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #37775 on: January 06, 2022, 05:11:05 AM »
Dicey Dungeons has gotta be the most addictive game I've played in a long time. So hard to put down, it's always a case of "one more go". I've just finished all of the warrior levels, and moving onto the the thief now. It's cool how differently the characters play. The music is so catchy and good. The enemies are cute and hilarious. Terry Cavanagh and Chipzel can do no wrong. Most exciting roguelike I've played since Void Bastards.

Game is so good it's pushed aside Hades, Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5 and is commanding my full attention. I also bought it on Switch because it was on sale. Gamepass is unstoppable in general now

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37776 on: January 07, 2022, 10:32:24 AM »
I've done 4 out of 7 Fuse cases so far and tbh this is a tad disappointing. While it's amazing they included it, nearly every case so far seems like 'cliffs notes of the main character quest'. Lute's case was the only one that I felt really added any kind of backstory.

So let's see what I'd rank all the main quests:

1. Red - this was the quest I originally beat back in the day as a kid. It's long, good variety of areas, and I like the sentai-esque theme.
2. T260 - another interesting conceit, being a robot whose memory was wiped who has one mission to maintain. Another one with a great variety of locales and a clear direction... favorite parts were definitely the virus-infected mainframe and one of the best boss fights in RPG history (and most difficult in the game) - the cyberpunk Phantasy Star 2-esque grid, the awesome music, the Terminator 2 reference that pops up when the boss does his crazy OP attack.
3. Emilia - escaping from prison to find your lover's murderer was a neat concept, and her quest is also pretty linear but not nearly as long as Red's. This was the first I played in the remake so I spent much more time in this one, doing a plethora of side content and grinding.
4. Blue - this is one of the more nonlinear quests, but I'm glad it forces people into doing the sidequests. It's easy to get screwed (like if you went to Omble instead of Luminous right at the outset) however. The Time Lord and Space Lord's regions are both super creative and I never really got to see them when I originally played this game (as I kind of ignored magic). Final boss is super challenging too.
5. Asellus - I feel this is a fan favorite but it didn't work for me. It had a much slower start than the other quests, and then it became "go around to different areas hoping a boss battle would trigger". The remake adds some neat side stories in areas that otherwise had no purpose in the original. Final boss is the biggest wimp out of all of them, the multiple endings were a cool concept (I got Half Human and Full Human, didn't bother replaying to get Full Mystic)
6. Lute - it's fun because it's the most open-ended, but if you're doing New Game +, you can beat it in 30-40 min. T
7. Riki - this could've been higher up... you have a good variety of areas to go to, lots of direction, an introduction into monsters and how to build them up... but for one reason it goes to the absolute bottom... an extremely frustrating spike maze in Mosperiburg Castle. Those who played it know what I'm talking about... you have to follow a woman walking along a path through spikes, and if you stray from the path, you get into an encounter. Unfortunately, the woman wanders around all over the place (instead of keeping to the route you need to be on) and the controls aren't really precise (I keep forgetting PS1 didn't have analog movement), making this an exercise in frustration. Someone joked that "I know what the prisoner sentenced to a million years in Despair did... he designed the Mosperiburg spike maze!" and I agree!
^_^

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #37777 on: January 07, 2022, 09:16:00 PM »
Its pretty scary playing Tarkov alone  :(

But I ratted as a Scav (scavenger) and shot a guy in the face with some cheap ass gun, he was a rank 41 and had a decked out set of gear I proceeded to take for myself. But im a super hoarder so I find it hard to use some of those awesome weapons till I have access to them myself.
What

Bebpo

« Reply #37778 on: January 07, 2022, 09:36:01 PM »
I've done 4 out of 7 Fuse cases so far and tbh this is a tad disappointing. While it's amazing they included it, nearly every case so far seems like 'cliffs notes of the main character quest'. Lute's case was the only one that I felt really added any kind of backstory.

So let's see what I'd rank all the main quests:

1. Red - this was the quest I originally beat back in the day as a kid. It's long, good variety of areas, and I like the sentai-esque theme.
2. T260 - another interesting conceit, being a robot whose memory was wiped who has one mission to maintain. Another one with a great variety of locales and a clear direction... favorite parts were definitely the virus-infected mainframe and one of the best boss fights in RPG history (and most difficult in the game) - the cyberpunk Phantasy Star 2-esque grid, the awesome music, the Terminator 2 reference that pops up when the boss does his crazy OP attack.
3. Emilia - escaping from prison to find your lover's murderer was a neat concept, and her quest is also pretty linear but not nearly as long as Red's. This was the first I played in the remake so I spent much more time in this one, doing a plethora of side content and grinding.
4. Blue - this is one of the more nonlinear quests, but I'm glad it forces people into doing the sidequests. It's easy to get screwed (like if you went to Omble instead of Luminous right at the outset) however. The Time Lord and Space Lord's regions are both super creative and I never really got to see them when I originally played this game (as I kind of ignored magic). Final boss is super challenging too.
5. Asellus - I feel this is a fan favorite but it didn't work for me. It had a much slower start than the other quests, and then it became "go around to different areas hoping a boss battle would trigger". The remake adds some neat side stories in areas that otherwise had no purpose in the original. Final boss is the biggest wimp out of all of them, the multiple endings were a cool concept (I got Half Human and Full Human, didn't bother replaying to get Full Mystic)
6. Lute - it's fun because it's the most open-ended, but if you're doing New Game +, you can beat it in 30-40 min. T
7. Riki - this could've been higher up... you have a good variety of areas to go to, lots of direction, an introduction into monsters and how to build them up... but for one reason it goes to the absolute bottom... an extremely frustrating spike maze in Mosperiburg Castle. Those who played it know what I'm talking about... you have to follow a woman walking along a path through spikes, and if you stray from the path, you get into an encounter. Unfortunately, the woman wanders around all over the place (instead of keeping to the route you need to be on) and the controls aren't really precise (I keep forgetting PS1 didn't have analog movement), making this an exercise in frustration. Someone joked that "I know what the prisoner sentenced to a million years in Despair did... he designed the Mosperiburg spike maze!" and I agree!

Yeah the Fuse stuff is more epilogue than anything. It's fun but wasn't a huge amount of content.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37779 on: January 07, 2022, 10:20:50 PM »
Been using Amazon's generous return policy to try out some of the Anbernic emulation handhelds.  Have gotten more than what I ordered due to being sent the wrong models, but used that to my advantage for more testing!  The stock firmware that these things ship with is super-dated and kind of janky for certain things.  Some units also lack sleep functions.  Fortunately, all of this is easily fixed with custom firmware, which not only improves functionality, but even improves video quality and some performance with newer emulators.

RG350: I was sent one of these instead of a 280M.  It's kind of crappy.  Build quality is OK, but the buttons and d-pad felt like garbage.  There are newer RG350P and 350M models that improved on this a lot.  The only reason I even tried this was to see how HDMI-out was.  It wasn't very good and had no options for screen size (everything was stretched out to 16:9), some emulators didn't work right with it, and the sound still came from the handheld.  If this is what Anbernic was putting out 2-3 years ago, they have really improved A LOT since then, although the HDMI-out isn't any better on newer units.  They removed HDMI-out entirely on the 280 and 351 lines and it really doesn't matter.

RG280V: This is the first one of these handhelds I got.  Decided to try this one because of the video below.  That guy's channel and site has a lot of useful information on all these devices, BTW.  Made putting custom firmware on them a snap.  The 280V is a *tiny* handheld that lacks an analog stick and is not the most comfortable device to hold (it's a bit too small and the shoulder buttons are awkwardly-placed too high up), and yet it's just so cute n' cool, lol.  Once you flash it with ADAM firmware, it's a really snappy device and the picture is surprisingly good.  It works best for 8-bit systems, Genesis/Sega CD/32X, and SNES, arcade, and PS1 games that don't need more than four buttons.  This is by far the most "pocketable" device and is super-light and easy to carry around.

RG280M: This is basically the same as the 280V, but with a horizontal form factor, an aluminum chassis, and a single analog stick that looks and feels like a Switch stick.  Performance is the same, but the device feels much more premium and is more comfortable to hold and use.  Is overall my favorite right now.  It's just the right size and the quality is really good overall.

(I did not get this color and opted for a silver/metallic finish instead!)

RG351MP: This is the newest out of the units I tried.  It's also got the same premium, all-metal chassis and uses the same larger 4:3 screen that the O.G. Gameboy-styled RG351V uses.  Basically it's a mash-up of the RG350M's shell and buttons with the internals and screen of the 351V.  There is some noticeably better performance and platforms like Capcom's CPS3 run perfectly on this, whereas those games don't run at full speed on the older units.  Disappointingly, some other arcade games that didn't run well on the old units, like Asura Blade and Asura Buster, still run poorly.  This can also run N64, DS (although it only displays one screen and there's no touch functionality), Dreamcast, and PSP games, but a lot of the performance leaves a lot to be desired.  Some games will run well, like Ridge Racers on PSP, but then something like Crazy Taxi 2 on Dreamcast runs at sub-30 and is extremely choppy.  I wouldn't buy one of these for those platforms.  I wouldn't buy one of these at all, in fact- even though the hardware is better, you just can't beat the ADAM custom firmware, IMO, and it's not available on the 351 series (at least not right now).  For the price the 351MP sells for, you can get the newer Retroid Pocket 2+, which has much better performance, plus HDMI-out.

Overall, from what I tried, I think one of these units is worth picking up if you want to play anything 8-bit or 16-bit, (most 2D) arcade games up through the 90s, and most PS1 games.  Anything beyond that may not run well and the newer devices aren't worth paying extra for.  The 280M is my pick for the best one, although I am going to keep the 280V, too, because it's just a really cool little novelty.  Also to note, while the d-pads are good on these things, they're a bit too stiff, which can be a problem for fighting games and some arcade games.  Fortunately, the analog sticks work really well as mini joysticks. Something to consider when looking at the 280V.

Something to also keep in mind is that these devices come with cheap, crappy micro SD cards that are prone to failure and may not work right out of the box- if you get one, make sure to use a reliable micro SD card.  You can use a 16gb or 32gb card for the firmware and then a larger card (128 will hold a LOT of old games!) for the ROMs.  I recommend getting a 350 or 280 series unit because of the ADAM CFW.  ADAM is not only very fast and reliable, but the emulators are also all pre-configured with the best video settings and filters.  You can just pick up and play without having to do anything.

I might try the Retroid Pocket 2+ whenever sellers start offering them on Amazon (need that no-BS return policy), but I don't really need it since I have the GPD Win 3, which outperforms all of these things by a country mile.  Was interested in these devices since they're much smaller and lighter in comparison.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 10:34:35 PM by bork »
ど助平

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #37780 on: January 08, 2022, 03:41:33 PM »
Grabbed the chief collection on steam when it was a cool $20......soooo goood. Matchmaking takes a bit too long, but awesome collection of games and multi has never been better
jon

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37781 on: January 10, 2022, 10:25:33 AM »
I played through the entirety of Rambo for NES yesterday. It's a janky game that borrows a lot from Zelda II (even though it beat it to the US by a few months), but it's not nearly as bad as its reputation. There's also a lot of Japanese weirdness in the game, like shouting out the kanji for "Ikari" and turning the commander into a frog at the end game, or bosses whose heads turn big when you kill them. Was definitely worth a play, although a walkthrough certainly helped.

Gonna start Mega Man X2 tonight. Made it to the final boss when I rented it back in the day, but never actually beat it.
^_^

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #37782 on: January 10, 2022, 10:27:19 AM »
I played through the entirety of Rambo for NES yesterday. It's a janky game that borrows a lot from Zelda II (even though it beat it to the US by a few months), but it's not nearly as bad as its reputation. There's also a lot of Japanese weirdness in the game, like shouting out the kanji for "Ikari" and turning the commander into a frog at the end game, or bosses whose heads turn big when you kill them. Was definitely worth a play, although a walkthrough certainly helped.

Gonna start Mega Man X2 tonight. Made it to the final boss when I rented it back in the day, but never actually beat it.

It's kinda of a bad game but I played the shit out of it as a kid.

SmokyDave

« Reply #37783 on: January 11, 2022, 08:06:25 AM »
I'm not kidding, the game I have played most in 2022 so far is Pet Simulator X on fucking Roblox. Kid got me to play to help her along and now I'm rolling 8 deep with mythical pets and I'm busting gingerbread chests left, right, and centre. Getting myself a sled before the xmas event ends.

When I come up for air and realise how I've been spending my free time, the depression will crush me.

In anticipation, I've picked up 'Gun Gun Pixies' on the Switch. Just looks like one of those PS2 titles I would've grabbed from Forbidden Planet in 1998 at random. Played the tutorial, enough to know that it'll make a nice palate cleanser when I can get off Roblox.

My 2022 gaming is pretty fucked up. First game I bought this year was Train Station Restoration Simulator. S'alright man.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #37784 on: January 11, 2022, 02:53:20 PM »
So not a train simulation, not a train station simulation, but a train station restoration simulation?

Seems like that games is after a very niche audience
 :neo
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37785 on: January 12, 2022, 12:24:44 AM »
So not a train simulation, not a train station simulation, but a train station restoration simulation?

Seems like that games is after a very niche audience
 :neo
Japanese porn has taught the world that real money can be made by addressing the most niche interests.

Bebpo

« Reply #37786 on: January 12, 2022, 07:54:22 PM »
So they released a new port on Switch of SNK v Capcom Card Fighters Clash (Neo Geo Pocket one). I loved that game in the pocket days and then I find out there was a DS one later out that wasn't very good and I guess I never played it because reviews said it was bad? I feel like as a game collector I own most of the good DS games but I don't have that.

Went to check out a video of it and wtf is some of this card art. Like Capcom has hundreds of pieces of Felicia art from all these games/promotional art. Where the crap did that come from? Looks more like they grabbed something off deviant art than a professional artist illustration.

Hamarr

« Reply #37787 on: January 13, 2022, 03:40:27 AM »
BF 2042 got old fast.  It was a impulse buy I knew I would regret and it was purchased with MS funny money.  Meh.

I have been playing some more BFV.  I suck at it, but it has been improved a lot since I last played it and actually feels like Battlefield.  Also been grinding out co op in SW Battlefront 2.  Unlocking cards and weapons on 2x or 3x xp days.

I bought a bunch of stuff on sale but haven’t played any of it yet, like Metroid Dread and Axiom Verge 2.  Also picked up the expansions for the Outer Worlds. 

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37788 on: January 13, 2022, 05:42:34 PM »

Press F to pay respects to Noble 6 :salute
🤴

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37789 on: January 13, 2022, 06:09:20 PM »
Just started playing original HALO REACH on 360. Part of me admires how beautiful they managed to make it for that hardware, at that time. Part of me is getting queasy at the uneven framerate and interleave/blur effects. May need to play it on better hardware.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37790 on: January 13, 2022, 06:37:03 PM »
Just started playing original HALO REACH on 360. Part of me admires how beautiful they managed to make it for that hardware, at that time. Part of me is getting queasy at the uneven framerate and interleave/blur effects. May need to play it on better hardware.
Because everything was cancelled for New Years I got an Xbox Series X instead and I had completely forgotten how good Reach was.

Not just Reach looks really, really good but also Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

360 games aged like fine wine on Xbox Series X  8)
Screenshots however, don't show the Auto HDR which is one of my favorite features of the Series X.

The Mass Effect remasters also look amazing, played those last year around release but they have just launched on GamePass.
There's also a bunch of next-gen patches coming for Witcher 3(confirmed), AC: Origins(rumored) and Red Dead Redemption 2.
Considering the sorry state of most development houses that list will continue to grow.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 06:43:05 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #37791 on: January 15, 2022, 12:51:45 PM »
Reach looks really good on pc too
jon

Rahxephon91

« Reply #37792 on: January 15, 2022, 02:44:56 PM »
Halo 4. Now that looked amazing on the 360.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37793 on: January 15, 2022, 05:04:38 PM »
I need to revisit HALO 4 sometime as well. But even though it probably looks great it kinda lacks in the gameplay department.
🤴

Hamarr

« Reply #37794 on: January 15, 2022, 05:08:06 PM »
I need to revisit Reach.  That is the only one I never got around to playing on my own. 4’s gameplay is kind of meh.  It does look good but I’d rather have the flood than the new enemies.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37795 on: January 15, 2022, 06:21:09 PM »
I need to revisit Reach.  That is the only one I never got around to playing on my own. 4’s gameplay is kind of meh.  It does look good but I’d rather have the flood than the new enemies.
Reach is very accesible now that it is part of the MCC and GamePass plus it only takes about 8 hours to beat.
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #37796 on: January 15, 2022, 09:24:05 PM »
Started dabbling in Railway Empire on PC.

It's enjoyable enough, but not sure I am prepared to sink in the time and effort to play it to its fullest extent.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #37797 on: January 17, 2022, 05:11:33 AM »
Spent all night learning how to do more complex hex value editing in cheat engine with pointers and floating integers. Still couldn't figure out some stuff I wanted to mess with but I was able to at least make a working pointer value that works across any game instance. Was satisfying and useful info.

Was because I played Monolith: After the End a bunch this weekend. Quite good rogue shmup, but like a lot of rogues it gets ridiculously fucking hard by the end and unless you're a god gamer you're not seeing the final stuff. There's no real permanent progression so it's a real rogue and it is bullet hell-y like Cave shmup style that gets more crazy as you go and some of the random room layouts can make fights even tougher.

Still, I hate/like rogues and this is a good addicting one. But after this I'm good on it. Rogues are way too stressful. Still bitter about that Returnal $70 down the drain.

naff

« Reply #37798 on: January 17, 2022, 04:51:57 PM »
Back into Red Dead Redemption 2, post Guarma now. Just finished Resident Evil 8 and the Metro Exodus Sam's Story DLC on PC, been playing Deep Rock Galactic and Borderlands 3 with friends. DRG fuckin rules. Of all the modern games with fancy graphics I've played maxed out on the big rig lately, the PS4 version of RDR2 played in BC mode on PS5 consistently impresses me more. Sure, Cyberpunk, Halo Infinite, RE8 and Metro Exodus look incredible on pc, but the incredible production design and complexity of RDR2 with just the PS4 build is consistently so amazing. Such a technical marvel. Wish they were making RDR3 instead of GTA6  :P
◕‿◕

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37799 on: January 17, 2022, 06:46:12 PM »
Back into Red Dead Redemption 2, post Guarma now. Just finished Resident Evil 8 and the Metro Exodus Sam's Story DLC on PC, been playing Deep Rock Galactic and Borderlands 3 with friends. DRG fuckin rules. Of all the modern games with fancy graphics I've played maxed out on the big rig lately, the PS4 version of RDR2 played in BC mode on PS5 consistently impresses me more. Sure, Cyberpunk, Halo Infinite, RE8 and Metro Exodus look incredible on pc, but the incredible production design and complexity of RDR2 with just the PS4 build is consistently so amazing. Such a technical marvel. Wish they were making RDR3 instead of GTA6  :P

I recently returned to my incomplete run on the single player game of RDR two as well, and played through the Guama sequence for the first time. I did not enjoy it at all. There are just a couple of things to do, it feels like that whole moment is on rails instead of having any real player choice, and generally felt full of despair. There’s enough despair in the main campaign.

What did you think of the Guarma sequence?