Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3588970 times)

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #37620 on: November 08, 2021, 08:06:18 PM »
i heard people saying this about dread but they get it over with pretty quick, but there are some funny cutscenes. they're all fairly minimal. even fusion is worse for talky overexplaining imo

you happily sit through tedious visual novel trash breh so your criticism is moot on this point :p

I mean there are story action games like Uncharted or Gears or Halo or whatever.

And there are gameplay games that really should be almost pure gameplay with as few interruptions as possible. Metroidvanias generally fall into the later. Replaying Aria of Sorrow I already get annoyed every time every hour or so you encounter someone and the game stops and I have to read 5 lines of dialogue which I basically skip. It's just a genre where I don't care one bit about plot and just want to explore out a map, get upgrades and kill shit.

It's like if Street Fighter arcade mode had you stop every 2 fights and have a discussion with your enemy before the fight started. Which...some fighting game story modes are and that's why story modes in fighting games fucking suck.

Also Castlevania Lord of Shadows is a bad, bad game and the Kojima style amount of cutscenes is a huge part of why it is bad. Left a real bad taste in my mouth when it comes to MercuryStream, but then I played like 30 mins of Samus Returns and it's pretty cool and Dread seems good outside the cutscenes so maybe they're ok but they're definitely talky.

was just being cheeky on the VN comment ;) i have never actually played one. i think i enjoyed the story elements in dread. metroid lore is so silly, but i also find it kinda fun in that regard. glad they didnt go too wild with it. felt about right.
◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #37621 on: November 09, 2021, 02:41:32 AM »
So what the fuck I thought Joe was just enjoying Blue Light because it's

:uguu

but...

:leon

That's like close to what they scored SMTV and Tales of Arise
So this series is actually a good rpg?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37622 on: November 09, 2021, 07:43:33 AM »
So what the fuck I thought Joe was just enjoying Blue Light because it's

:uguu

but...

(Image removed from quote.)

:leon

That's like close to what they scored SMTV and Tales of Arise
So this series is actually a good rpg?

Second Light has a playable demo for Switch and PS4.  I want to say the save progress transfers over?  Worth a look, but it's VERY :uguu.
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #37623 on: November 09, 2021, 02:47:20 PM »
Second Light looks to be vastly improved over the first game. The first game was super low-budget with some nice character designs. Second Light has better looking/more varied environments, better controls, and better systems from what I've seen from the demo. It's still very animu though of course, so proceed with caution.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also the yuri levels are cranked up even higher, it now features hand-holding. :uguu
[close]

I want to say the save progress transfers over? 

It doesn't, but you get a couple of bonus items if you complete the demo.
©@©™

BikeJesus

« Reply #37624 on: November 09, 2021, 06:09:15 PM »
I got a new job that pays me more, and to celebrate I bought Forza 5 premium and the expansions for Snowrunner.

Forza is an OK looking game, but I still enjoy snowrunner a million times more. Going through the mud and the blood at 2km/hr is somehow much more engaging than flying around faux-mexico.

:nope

:ohyeah

naff

« Reply #37625 on: November 09, 2021, 08:52:20 PM »
they just seem like extremely different games...

snowrunner looks sweet
◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #37626 on: November 09, 2021, 09:01:06 PM »
Played a bit of Horizon 5

It's alright, PC version needs some work.

BikeJesus

« Reply #37627 on: November 09, 2021, 09:23:34 PM »
they just seem like extremely different games...

snowrunner looks sweet

100 hours before i got to the snow.

Bebpo

« Reply #37628 on: November 10, 2021, 01:23:40 AM »
Ok, got the graphics working on Forza Horizon 5. Played a bunch. The best part of the game's visuals are the car reflections are amazing. At certain times of day the game can look really good.

During the dry daylight desert it looks kind of crappy though. So kind of a mixed bag but more great than weak. The jungles in the rain and storm look fantastic.

One thing that takes me out is how every object in the environment is made of paper complete with a paper noise when you smash into railings and stuff. Really takes me out of it. Should at least have a nice crunch sound.

Pretty fun game. Dunno if I'll stick with it any more than FH4. Still seems more of the same.

Sometimes this game looks a lot like Death Stranding imo (that last shot could easily be from DS)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37629 on: November 10, 2021, 05:06:56 AM »
How do you keep the motion blur in photo mode?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37630 on: November 10, 2021, 06:18:18 AM »
Forza looks good not sure if I'm going to play it on PC or Xbox One X. Probably on the Xbox One X for the comfort.

Finished the main story of Tales of Arise. Still my GOTY so far but the final section and final boss were a bit weak after all that build-up and 3 faux endings.
There is more post-game content after you beat it and except for 1 owl there doesn't seem to be any content or sidequests that you can miss out on.

Now that I've completed I'll probably get back to Metroid Dread before diving into the next RPG.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #37631 on: November 10, 2021, 02:06:24 PM »
How do you keep the motion blur in photo mode?

Just max the shutter speed and focus on the car while moving.

Bebpo

« Reply #37632 on: November 10, 2021, 02:10:11 PM »
Also I finally read the instructions online and got VRR G-Sync working on my LG TV going from my PC.

Now I can only do 120fps @ 1440p because you need a 3000x series Nvidia card to do 4k @ 120fps HDMI 2.1 out and I have a 2080ti. But that works out better at least with stuff like FH5 anyhow since if I want more than 60fps I can't run maxed out 4k anyhow.

So I'm getting about 80-90fps maxed out 8x MSAA g-sync on my 4k LG and it looks pretty great and consistent image quality.

I guess I could do 30fps @ 4k like the XSX version quality mode but for some reason the 30fps lock doesn't seem to work.

While it would be cool playing PC games at true 4k/120fps tv-out w/g-sync VRR, at this point I think it's pointless trying to track day and pay for a 3080 when I assume 4080s will be out in a few more months and I might as well try to get one of those (though probably end up just buying off a scalper)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37633 on: November 10, 2021, 03:29:20 PM »
Rumor is Q3 2022 for the 4000-series. July at the earliest.

They are also power hungry beasts and offer twice the performance of the 3000-series.

GPU prices are still nuts where I live. GTX 1660 sets you back 600 Euro, was 220 Euro October 2020. At that price you might as well get the 3060 for ~750 Euro.
RTX 3070 can not be found for less than 1000 Euro.

🤴

naff

« Reply #37634 on: November 10, 2021, 04:48:01 PM »
They are also power hungry beasts and offer twice the performance of the 3000-series.

*rumoured to be

i bet they are power hungry. HIGHLY doubt a 2x performance bump.
◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #37635 on: November 10, 2021, 06:17:47 PM »
Eh, they'll be enough to run stuff at 4k pretty maxed out at 90fps-120fps which will be all I need for playing stuff on my TV-out for the next 5 years or so. 3080s are already pretty close to that for most stuff.

I've never upgraded yearly since the bump in performance isn't huge, but usually every 2-3 years gets you 2x performance which sounds good to me.

Hamarr

« Reply #37636 on: November 10, 2021, 08:23:56 PM »
I’ve been playing Forza Horizon 5, as well.  I enjoy the games a lot but they do seem to be the same in a lot of ways.  The campaign in FH2 might have been favorite.  I can see myself playing this one a lot more than FH4.  I liked the map in that, but wasn’t a fan of the season cycle.  I would drop the game when it got back to winter and forget to pick it up for awhile.  I kind of prefer doing the weather changes in dlc like with Storm Island and the winter expansion for FH3.

I’ve also been playing Destiny 2 a bit.  It’s good for playing with my friends.  Not sure if I will get the expansion.

Bebpo

« Reply #37637 on: November 10, 2021, 08:28:17 PM »
One thing with FH5 is I really like the fast-clock time of day changes that Forza 7 and Dirt 5 do where you start a race during the day and by the end it's night or vice-versa. I wish this did that. Seems like most races are just at set times of day.

paprikastaude

« Reply #37638 on: November 10, 2021, 08:31:47 PM »
Azure Striker Gunvolt - This is like a lost PS1 Megaman game in the best way. I'm getting more and more positive about IntiCreates.

Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 - This like a lost PS1 Megaman game in the worst way. Stop fucking talking. And how about don't add huge subtitles that literally cover half the screen during boss fights. Wth.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 09:58:06 PM by Spieler1 »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37639 on: November 10, 2021, 09:33:39 PM »

GPU prices are still nuts where I live. GTX 1660 sets you back 600 Euro, was 220 Euro October 2020. At that price you might as well get the 3060 for ~750 Euro.
Yeah i just pretend gaming is frozen until 2023, tbh.
Just go through the backlog or play with what you have (in terms of HW) instead of trying to bend over backwards to find a card that isn't 3x MSRP.

My only terror is if my 1060 were to die now, i use it for work, other than gaming, and it'd kill me to have to buy a new one at the current prices.
I'd probably try and survive with the intel integrated one, until someone opens a goddamn new semiconductor factory.  :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #37640 on: November 11, 2021, 12:50:23 AM »
Kind of getting tired of FH5 already. It's fine, but I guess this whole Forza Horizon experience was just something I enjoyed the first time with FH3 since I didn't have an Xbox One and that was the first one on PC. FH4 was fun for a few weeks and then I dropped it and I feel like I'll stick with this even less.

I surprisingly had more fun with Forza 7's campaign than this campaign so far...and I'm usually more an arcade person but a good racing game campaign goes a long way for me.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37641 on: November 11, 2021, 05:18:09 AM »

Yeah i just pretend gaming is frozen until 2023, tbh.
Just go through the backlog or play with what you have (in terms of HW) instead of trying to bend over backwards to find a card that isn't 3x MSRP.

My only terror is if my 1060 were to die now, i use it for work, other than gaming, and it'd kill me to have to buy a new one at the current prices.
I'd probably try and survive with the intel integrated one, until someone opens a goddamn new semiconductor factory.  :lol
I'm looking at audio and screen upgrades myself. Likely a new PC monitor this year and an audio upgrade next year.

Gaming laptops are also an option. For ~1000 Euro, you can buy a 15" notebook with an RTX 3050 which runs nearly everything if you disable ray tracing.
That's probably what I would do if my GPU suddenly died.
🤴

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #37642 on: November 11, 2021, 09:27:54 AM »
Another Forza boi. Very good so far, but more importantly, very pretty!

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #37643 on: November 11, 2021, 01:06:01 PM »
WHY AREN'T YOU GOSH DARNED DEGENERATES DOWNLOADING ANIME LIVERIES FOR YOUR CARS?  :comeon :comeon :comeon :comeon :comeon
(ice)

Tuckers Law

« Reply #37644 on: November 11, 2021, 01:09:21 PM »
Everyone’s waiting for the hentai liveries.  Anime is for disgusting weebs.

Hamarr

« Reply #37645 on: November 11, 2021, 03:25:08 PM »
Kind of getting tired of FH5 already. It's fine, but I guess this whole Forza Horizon experience was just something I enjoyed the first time with FH3 since I didn't have an Xbox One and that was the first one on PC. FH4 was fun for a few weeks and then I dropped it and I feel like I'll stick with this even less.

I surprisingly had more fun with Forza 7's campaign than this campaign so far...and I'm usually more an arcade person but a good racing game campaign goes a long way for me.

I have that issue, too.  I have to take breaks from it.  I think the way the events are laid out don’t help with long term play, at least for me.  FH2 had you rotating between like four huh areas.  Once a set of races were done you moved to the next hub and selected a new series.  That kept it a bit more fresh for me since you could do a different races or event types with different classes of cars.

I guess you can do that with the event editor, but I prefer the series format.  It’s a little closer to the main Forza series race wise.

Bebpo

« Reply #37646 on: November 11, 2021, 04:20:46 PM »
I still think Burnout Paradise had the best driving sandbox. You’d finish on event and there’d be a new one to start one or two lights away.

In FH5 I finish an event and the next event can be a bit of a drive. I wish Fast Travel wasn’t so gated initially. But even with fast travel I find there’s a good amount of downtime between events that BP didn’t have.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37647 on: November 11, 2021, 04:22:26 PM »
I played through Ghost Lion and the NES Metal Gear recently, and have just completed the first chapter of Magic of Scheherazade.

Metal Gear NES, at first I was happy because I was coming to terms with the flow of the game, but there comes a part where you have to rescue the Dr and his daughter that solidifies the game as hot garbage. They are both behind hidden walls you need to punch to open, with no indication that you can punch through them (or even any previous hints that punching through walls is a 'thing' in the game). Then to get through the daughter, you have to navigate through these pitfalls that open really quickly, with no indication of where they will be (you just have to memorize their positions), and the hit detection is so terrible - if you even slightly are skimming the side of them, it's an instant death. And you have to take about 10 min to get back to that spot. Luckily, there's an exploit where if you go to the menu as soon as the pitfalls open, they'll disappear.

Magic of Scheheazade seems pretty good so far though! An action RPG, with the occasional turn based battles... it's got time travel, an Arab theme, some charming designs, and is by far the best out of the NES games I've been playing lately.

Ghost Lion is one of the few RPGs localized in the 8 bit, post-DQ boom era and is a mess of a game. There are some interesting ideas here - like how you get to summon different creatures from items you find throughout your adventure, or how the game is fairly nonlinear with lots of optional items to pick up and dungeons to explore, but the repetitive nature of combat, high encounter rate, the most GRATING rpg battle music ever, and a system where you find "fragments of hope' to level up instead of getting EXP, make it a chore. Luckily it doesn't take more than ~6 hours, the dungeons are small and easily navigable, and due to the 'fragment of hope' system there's hardly any grinding - if you fight all the battles you come across (which you will probably be forced to, since you have maybe about a 20% chance at successfully escaping), you don't have to worry about gold.

One of the summons is a tad racist too, you summon a black warrior dude from a spear :P

But seriously, listen to this horrible battle theme. Now imagine hearing it hundreds of times throughout the course of the game.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 07:41:28 PM by tiesto »
^_^

naff

« Reply #37648 on: November 11, 2021, 05:06:17 PM »
Eh, they'll be enough to run stuff at 4k pretty maxed out at 90fps-120fps which will be all I need for playing stuff on my TV-out for the next 5 years or so. 3080s are already pretty close to that for most stuff.

I've never upgraded yearly since the bump in performance isn't huge, but usually every 2-3 years gets you 2x performance which sounds good to me.

you dont even get a 2x perf jump from a 1080ti to a 3080ti though (close enough, and you get new features obvs that aren't available to that chipset). a 2x performance boost by simply increasing silicon and power consumption is unprecedented let alone in an era where chips are so precious. just wild speculation imo. comparing a 3080 to 4080 i'd be surprised by an effective 40% bump in perf. they will be good cards, just the spec that the like for like price point cards between gens eg 3080 to 4080 will garner a 2x perf boost is unheralded and incredibly unlikely to be true
◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #37649 on: November 11, 2021, 06:56:22 PM »
ehhh, pretty sure any modern game like FH5 or whatever at 4k is going to be double the framerate or more at 3080 vs 1080.

I get what you're saying though. The typical boost is like 33% increase in FPS each year.

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #37650 on: November 11, 2021, 07:27:06 PM »
I still think Burnout Paradise had the best driving sandbox. You’d finish on event and there’d be a new one to start one or two lights away.

In FH5 I finish an event and the next event can be a bit of a drive. I wish Fast Travel wasn’t so gated initially. But even with fast travel I find there’s a good amount of downtime between events that BP didn’t have.

Yeah, I agree. Also very little filler/cutscene watching once it gets started. Burnout Paradise's absolutely no fucking around mindset was way ahead of it's time. clustering events around race finish points was smart. paradise indeed.

One improvement I have noticed over FH4 (maybe placebo?) is the post race screens/filler unskippable explanations feel a lot shorter. In FH 3/4 it was unbearable and sometimes I felt like I was spending more time looking at bars filling up on the post race screen than driving cars fast. I haven't had too much time to play 5 but I still feel like I get to tear around more often
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 10:33:44 PM by remy »

Bebpo

« Reply #37651 on: November 11, 2021, 07:49:22 PM »
Yeah I hate the cutscenes bloat in racing games.

In FH5 when you pick a car to use on a race is there was way to skip/turn off the cutscene of the car spinning around the show room before the race starts? Just makes the race start loading feel longer. Post-race seems fine.

Also on PC this game takes a long ass while to boot and get you into the game on SSD. I'd tinker with the graphics settings to improve framerate but almost every graphic setting change requires a restart and sitting through that stuff over and over is something I can't deal with.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #37652 on: November 12, 2021, 04:25:37 PM »
As someone who has absolutely no knowledge of PC hardware, is there a huge performance difference between a similar speced gaming desktop vs laptop?

I need to upgrade my old laptop and want to get something that will play some modern games. I prefer the convenience of a laptop over a desktop, but want to get value for my cash.
Spud

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #37653 on: November 12, 2021, 06:48:30 PM »
If you're looking for value, certainly dont go for a laptop. Ever. You can probably get a decently performing laptop, if you get some real THICC gamer laptop but.... That kind of defeats the purpose of a laptop and will cost you a lot more.

GPU prices are still kind of fucked though.

Anyway cummy

Bebpo

« Reply #37654 on: November 12, 2021, 07:51:32 PM »
Yeah I hate the cutscenes bloat in racing games.

In FH5 when you pick a car to use on a race is there was way to skip/turn off the cutscene of the car spinning around the show room before the race starts? Just makes the race start loading feel longer. Post-race seems fine.

Also on PC this game takes a long ass while to boot and get you into the game on SSD. I'd tinker with the graphics settings to improve framerate but almost every graphic setting change requires a restart and sitting through that stuff over and over is something I can't deal with.

So I realized the showroom car spin thing before a race is actually the loading screen for the race so yeah can't skip that. I guess it's pretty short.

Hamarr

« Reply #37655 on: November 12, 2021, 11:42:50 PM »
Maybe because I’m playing this one on a series x, but it does seem a lot faster.  I don’t notice any bars filling up after a race most of the time unless I am doing a championship series.  Most things seem to load a lot quicker than in the previous couple of games. 

I also notice my wheelspins are mostly giving me cars and cash in this game.  I got so many emotes and clothing items in FH4 that I was often too broke to get more cars.  I know some people like that crap, but I’m glad to see it dialed back.

Also, I tried out the BF 2042 trial on Xbox.  I could only play the AI tutorial conquest match.  Gameplay felt a lot more noob friendly than previous BF.  The servers for the other matches appeared to be down.  I can’t get into any matches at all.  There were a bunch of 1 star reviews on the Xbox store from people who had paid for early access seeing the same thing.  Is this the launch of early access today?

Hamarr

« Reply #37656 on: November 12, 2021, 11:44:14 PM »
Sorry for the double post.  I’m wondering if I should bother buying a new video card or maybe get a cheap pre built machine.  I got rid of my PCs when I moved and just have an X51 r2 that was hooked up to the tv for a bit.  The rest of the specs are okay but it has a 7600 gt.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37657 on: November 13, 2021, 12:52:49 AM »
A couple of months back, seemed like prebuilt was a way to get GPUs with a reasonable (not great) price, but now it seems even that avenue ran dry, and the absurd prices caught up.

Linus has a video on that, too.

Bebpo

« Reply #37658 on: November 13, 2021, 01:37:31 AM »
I also notice my wheelspins are mostly giving me cars and cash in this game.  I got so many emotes and clothing items in FH4 that I was often too broke to get more cars.  I know some people like that crap, but I’m glad to see it dialed back.

Eh, it's RNG.

I've gotten so many emotes and clothing from wheelspins. Just been nothing but shit luck. I'm super broke in FH5 and don't have many cars. I hate wheelspins and RNG.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37659 on: November 13, 2021, 08:33:33 PM »

dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #37660 on: November 14, 2021, 03:29:23 AM »
Finished House of Ashes - easily the best entry since Until Dawn. Worth a play.
fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37661 on: November 14, 2021, 04:35:04 AM »
Played some Forza on the G7. Surprised to see it does Ultra on my RTX2070 Super.
It's hard to describe how smooth and vibrant this panel is.
The curve at 32" somehow makes for more comfort up close.

The only thing I'm still tinkering with is Windows HDR. It works but I'm unsure what the right settings are.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #37662 on: November 14, 2021, 08:03:39 AM »
Finished House of Ashes - easily the best entry since Until Dawn. Worth a play.

awesome, glad they nailed it.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37663 on: November 14, 2021, 08:20:01 AM »
Battlefield 2042 is hot garbage so far.

Sure 128 players is cool but the desert map I played was ugly as sin (despite having cranked up quite a few settings)
It all seems so random and bullet spongey and to 'fix' the risk of dying in wide open spaces they just made nearly every gun practically useless at a distance.

Not much to unlock either and there's a total of 2 handguns. :wut
I think it needs at least another 6 months in the oven.
🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #37664 on: November 14, 2021, 11:04:44 AM »
So thats 2 clearly unfinished shit shows in a week :whew

god bless ea and 2k for needing that festive season papes and saying fuck it and putting the games out instead of delaying :preach

(ice)

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #37665 on: November 14, 2021, 11:10:54 AM »
Played through Deus Ex Human Revolution Directors Cut. I've played the base game several times, but never the DC. Its still a classic, but it is looking a little rough around the edges now, especially the npc models. Not really sure what changes they made to the boss battles in this version, may an extra terminal or two. They feel the same as the base game (I know they were a point of contention back in the day). The DLC integration was pretty nice too, though it does still feel a bit of an "inconsequential" expansion.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I can now also do this pro gamer move:

Be gone girl gamers!!
[close]
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37666 on: November 14, 2021, 01:41:50 PM »
Got Ghost Recon Breakpoint during the recent sale (9€).
After years of patches and additions... the game is finally as fun as Wildlands, if it wasn't for the boring map (Bolivia was amazing, this made up island is lame af :fbm), i'd like it more, even.

The new mode (motherland) is basically throwing out all the bullshit from the main game and letting you free the map Wildlands-style, and with all the immersion/survival/difficulty cranked up to max, it becomes quite fun.

It's still a bit too on the easy side for me, especially if you play in more than 2, but i'll try to deactivate the hud and see how that works.

Still, sunk 8 straight hours of coop into it tonight, without even noticing (thgank God it's Sunday  :lol)

Also you can play in coop indefinitely with only one copy (some friend pass thing), which was nice.
I wish Far Cry 6 had this.

Sman

« Reply #37667 on: November 14, 2021, 02:10:20 PM »
Noticed that Bandai Namco sale earlier today.

"you know, you haven't played a Tekken game in, like, 2 decades". Yeah, those games were clunky, janky and button-smashing nonsense. But Tekken 7 is only 10 bucks, come on, you know you are curious to see how much the series has evolved.

*pays the money and downloads it onto Xbox One*

"Let's go!"

"gee, this looks rougher than I had expected"

"but plays just as clunky as I remember"

*throws controller away in disgust*

:yuck

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37668 on: November 14, 2021, 05:37:10 PM »

Do you know one of those last scenes from Tenet when 2 armies you can't tell apart spawn at random and start fighting in a wasteland.
That's Battlefield 2042.

I'm not saying it doesn't have its moments and there isn't some cool shit you can do but it probably won't retain a player base for very long if that's all it has going for it.
🤴

Borealis

« Reply #37669 on: November 14, 2021, 05:50:57 PM »
Do you know one of those last scenes from Tenet when 2 armies you can't tell apart spawn at random and start fighting in a wasteland.
That's Battlefield 2042.

I'm not saying it doesn't have its moments and there isn't some cool shit you can do but it probably won't retain a player base for very long if that's all it has going for it.

Beta was rough for me and with Early Access, I'm honestly having a really bad one with this. The great squad moments seem fleeting compared to the bullshit like having to fucking walk out in the open or the shitty bullet deviation beyond 25-30mm firefights. Playing solo without mates is pure suck unlike previous BFs where there's a semblance of team cohesion.

UI is the worst it's ever been, beyond dumpster fire of bugs, shitty colours and terrrible attachment system.

Honestly, way too many one step foward and two steps back elements about 2042.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37670 on: November 14, 2021, 06:47:51 PM »
They keep missing the mark with these games. Driving tanks is better than it was in BFV though, I'll give them that.
If it didn't have the Battlefield name and EA shills to fall back on it would hit a 6/10 - 4/10 mixed reception on Metacritic at best.
EGM gave it a 100/100. :dead

They already removed the campaign, TDM and stripped the content down to the bare minimum.
None of which improved the quality of what is there. I don't know how they can salvage Battlefield at this point.
It's a decade since Battlefield 3 and it has gone downhill since. There were some good moments like that Pacific expansion for BFV but overall it has just been a mess.
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37671 on: November 14, 2021, 06:54:52 PM »
That's a shame.
From the E3 (was it E3?) reveal, it seemed like a home-run idea, with ditching the pointless campaigns and focusing on the large scale multi, the mixed time periods mode, and especially the customization stuff.

Is it a matter of fixing it up and polishing though, or is it broken to the marrow? Because good comebacks from broken launches, aren't a rarity anymore, if the company is dedicated enough.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37672 on: November 14, 2021, 08:07:17 PM »
That's a shame.
From the E3 (was it E3?) reveal, it seemed like a home-run idea, with ditching the pointless campaigns and focusing on the large scale multi, the mixed time periods mode, and especially the customization stuff.

Is it a matter of fixing it up and polishing though, or is it broken to the marrow? Because good comebacks from broken launches, aren't a rarity anymore, if the company is dedicated enough.
Some things can be solved. A lack of content with content drops (first one is planned for February)
Balancing issues, hit detection and bugs with patches as we go along. DICE has been known for signifcant overhauls in game balance if necessary and add missing features.
I expect they will add voice chat soon enough (yes it shipped without voice chat)

But restoring the class system, replacing garbage map and UI design, being able to select a squad, a scoreboard, a difference between teams, having a reason to play and unlock things, more modes...
Technically also possible but how much support will this game get if most of the players have already left by February? Especially if most post-launch support is again spend on trying to keep the cheaters at bay.
🤴

Borealis

« Reply #37673 on: November 14, 2021, 09:53:36 PM »
They keep missing the mark with these games. Driving tanks is better than it was in BFV though, I'll give them that.
If it didn't have the Battlefield name and EA shills to fall back on it would hit a 6/10 - 4/10 mixed reception on Metacritic at best.
EGM gave it a 100/100. :dead

They already removed the campaign, TDM and stripped the content down to the bare minimum.
None of which improved the quality of what is there. I don't know how they can salvage Battlefield at this point.
It's a decade since Battlefield 3 and it has gone downhill since. There were some good moments like that Pacific expansion for BFV but overall it has just been a mess.

I'd argue BF4 eventually got it right and BF1 was solid with terrible post-launch schedules and patch bugs, but yeah definitely kind of a fat mess you can pin on DICE Stockholm doing whatever their executives are smoking until DICE LA steps in to smooth or sort things out.

Lack of TDM is a bit shocking. I have no qualms about removing campaign development because they always sucked. But it really seems like the dev/time resources behind that went nowhere or were simply cut back to get this out in time.

The worldbuilding/tonal whiplash you get from the relatively bleak intro to end-of-round specialists sounding off the cringiest of quips (like Apex or Overwatch summer tournament) will break necks. Only Irish comes out solid, everyone else I want to mute and have them STFU.

naff

« Reply #37674 on: November 15, 2021, 04:34:59 PM »
That's Battlefield 2042.

Beta was rough for me and with Early Access, I'm honestly having a really bad one with this. The great squad moments seem fleeting compared to the bullshit like having to fucking walk out in the open or the shitty bullet deviation beyond 25-30mm firefights. Playing solo without mates is pure suck unlike previous BFs where there's a semblance of team cohesion.

UI is the worst it's ever been, beyond dumpster fire of bugs, shitty colours and terrrible attachment system.

is it true they did away with squads? seems like that would be incredibly important for this game. none of my friends play shit like this online, well a couple do but not reliably. they'll be like yo lets play fall guys or nba 2k  :'( real keen for an fps squad
◕‿◕

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37675 on: November 15, 2021, 05:21:02 PM »
That's Battlefield 2042.

is it true they did away with squads? seems like that would be incredibly important for this game. none of my friends play shit like this online, well a couple do but not reliably. they'll be like yo lets play fall guys or nba 2k  :'( real keen for an fps squad
They included squads but you can no longer select the squad the wish to join. It's all automatic.
Considering the resources they have there is absolutely no reason for this game to be such a mess.

https://twitter.com/BF2042Hub/status/1460179494271078407
🤴

naff

« Reply #37676 on: November 15, 2021, 08:00:08 PM »
they're working with pretty tight deadlines, money can't solve that problem. i feel like anything moderately ambitious in scope is just destined to be a crapshoot on release these days, but yes, i wish BF games were a little tighter. i really like BF1 and V so will give this a crack at some point. with Halo Infinite being on PC and f2p i probably won't bother for a year or so when things have been tightened up and it's free with gamepass/base ea play
◕‿◕

BikeJesus

« Reply #37677 on: November 15, 2021, 08:40:42 PM »
Halo infinite feels like old Halo(2,3) with a light Sprint. Looks like it, too. Will probably hit a million concurrent on Steam.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #37678 on: November 16, 2021, 04:24:07 PM »

we hot

were even more behind than when this video starts

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37679 on: November 16, 2021, 06:48:18 PM »
Halo infinite feels like old Halo(2,3) with a light Sprint. Looks like it, too. Will probably hit a million concurrent on Steam.

Between Forza Horizon 5, Age of Empires IV and HALO Infinite (so far) Microsoft is knocking it out of the park this year. I've heard good things about Psychonauts 2 as well.
Not to mention the stellar BC, GamePass and continued support for the Xbox One X and increased support for PC.

If they keep this up with all their first party output  :whew

Except for constant bullshit rumors, SMTV and Metroid Nintendo has been almost invisible this year.

🤴