Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3605375 times)

Bebpo

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #33360 on: July 17, 2019, 11:53:34 AM »
Made it to act 2 in Cold Steel 2. Enjoying this much more than the first game, everything seems to be moving at a faster pace, there's more focus on combat, no lame school sections, decent cinematics.

Yeah, I liked CS2 more than CS1 for this reason.

Beezy

« Reply #33361 on: July 17, 2019, 12:51:30 PM »
I started Dragon Quest Builders 2 today. This time around you have a bestie traveling with you. :heart

I didn't really follow this, especially since I find the main series mindnumbingly boring, but it seems like this game could fill the hole left by Rune Factory. But I also heard about some annoyances like handholding and no quest log, so I should probably wait until its first bomba sale.
It's not a difficult game and it's aimed at the Minecraft crowd. Of course there's handholding.

A quest log really isn't necessary, at least not on the first island of the game which I just completed. Once you start getting multiple quests at once, you'll be able to warp all over the island, including back to your town. If you forgot what to do for a quest, just go talk the NPC in town again. Warping back takes no time.

Bebpo

« Reply #33362 on: July 18, 2019, 01:21:31 AM »
I picked up the latest humble bundle and it had Rusty Lake Paradise. I've been interested in this series since I'm a big fan of adventure puzzle games/room escape stuff. I looked up the order you're supposed to play the series and saw that Cube Escape: Seasons was the first one and all the Cube Escape games are free as flash games on their website.

I played through Seasons and it was cool. It's a room escape game set over 4 time periods in the same room, so in the first time period or two you get used to all the places you can look and what you are generally looking for to advance which makes the later, more complicated, times play better. Then about 2/3rds through there's a neat twist and I thought the endgame was clever. All in all it takes about 30-45 mins max to play through and is a neat free room adventure though I don't know if it's worth installing flash for. You can buy it on mobile platforms I think.

Oh and it has nice little horror atmosphere.

Will play the next one at some point.

Bebpo

« Reply #33363 on: July 21, 2019, 01:17:15 AM »
Man, it's too bad you guys say The Messenger goes downhill later on because other than it being way too easy I'm really enjoying this more than most retro inspired indie platformers. The writing is my kinda writing. Reminds me of Yahtzee's writing in his PnC adventure games. Some of the conversations are hilarious. Like in Bamboo Creek when you ask about the level boss and the wizard says he says something like "I told you it's your like your day off. Would you fight a boss on your day off?"  :lol

Just got the wingsuit and having fun with it in the Howling Grotto. The Dr. Wily bit in the Necromancer fight was great!

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I like this more than Bloodstained :o
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #33364 on: July 21, 2019, 02:59:02 AM »
Started playing Nightcall. It's an interesting taxi driver simulator. Makes you think about stuff you never would have like for taxi drivers they get all these short glimpses into people's lives and their stories and then the person leaves and that's it. You never see them again or find out where their stories go. Neat concept for a game.

Bebpo

« Reply #33365 on: July 22, 2019, 02:42:39 AM »
Beat my first run of Night Call, did the Angel of Death story and got the right culprit and made it through alive. Was pretty cool. Lot of interesting little stories and very immersive. I was also kinda surprised at how goofy & surreal it gets. First time I drove a strange passenger I thought it was just a small joke character, but you see some strange stuff in this and it doesn't try to keep it super grounded. Reads more like a comic book than a novel. But I enjoyed that about it. Nice music, nice writing. I was fine with the mystery part even though most people seem pretty harsh on it. It took me a bit to figure out the killer and I wasn't 100% when I guessed it.

Was definitely worth a play and given that my passenger list looks less than 1/3rd filled, I'm gonna assume each of the 3 stories has a complete unique set of passengers filling the world, so it should be worth playing another two time to experience more of the short stories. Got it free with gamepass, but would've been happy to buy it. Definitely only for a certain audience though. But I think most people that like Papers, Please would enjoy this.

I think my favorite weird ass bit was Santa, either Santa or the Cat. The Larping dude and the dude that's cosplaying to impress his girl are pretty lol.
[close]

I like how each passenger has a story arc and if you keep picking them up it advances and eventually has an ending. Also being fluent in Japanese helped a lot for the Japanese passenger. His story (all in Japanese without translations) was pretty good.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #33366 on: July 22, 2019, 05:32:30 PM »
Inside is pretty darn good. Clearly the apex of this kind of puzzle-platformer/Flashback style game or whatever the genre is. Fantastic atmosphere and art direction.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #33367 on: July 22, 2019, 11:12:14 PM »
I thought Limbo was better.
fat

kingv

« Reply #33368 on: July 23, 2019, 02:53:45 AM »
I preferred inside, but wish the story had more clues to it. Limbo I think makes more sense.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #33369 on: July 23, 2019, 07:29:22 AM »
I thought Limbo was better.

I havent played it since it came out, but its probably a more pure "game" with more complex puzzles iirc.

I'm about 3/4 through Inside and man, theres some staggering presentation. The artistry, framing, and consideration that has gone into some of these set pieces is unprecedented afaik.

In particular:
The sequence where you have to traverse shelter to hide from the "sonic boom" weapon testing or whatever that is. Such brilliant atmosphere backed up by masterful sound design. This game is art, no doubt about it.
[close]

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #33370 on: July 23, 2019, 08:04:45 AM »
Everything "makes sense" in the game until the end sequence where it all just goes out the window and you're left with a pile of artwank in your hand wondering "where did it all go wrong?"
fat

Svejk

« Reply #33371 on: July 23, 2019, 08:37:27 AM »
I absolutely hated the ending... reason why I thought Limbo was better.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #33372 on: July 23, 2019, 11:18:56 AM »
I loved the ending.

kingv

« Reply #33373 on: July 23, 2019, 07:19:54 PM »
Been playing gungeon.

Man this game is really fun. I can pretty consistently get to the 3rd floor, and sometimes the 4th.

kingv

« Reply #33374 on: July 23, 2019, 07:20:12 PM »
That fucking dog never finds fuck all though.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33375 on: July 23, 2019, 11:50:05 PM »
Been playing My Time at Portia this week while waiting for Fire Emblem. It does a really good job of scratching that Harvest Moon/Rune Factory/Stardew Valley itch, without feeling like just a ripoff. Only thing that really bothers me is some iffy character designs, but other than that it checks all the boxes that I could really want for a game like this.

I really like that it automatically takes resources from your storage when you craft something, instead of constantly having to dig around to find what you need. Every resource/crafting game should do this.
dog

Beezy

« Reply #33376 on: July 24, 2019, 12:49:16 AM »
I really like that it automatically takes resources from your storage when you craft something, instead of constantly having to dig around to find what you need. Every resource/crafting game should do this.
Agreed. DQB2 does this also.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #33377 on: July 24, 2019, 01:10:48 AM »
That fucking dog never finds fuck all though.

He'll dig up a key or an ammo drop occasionally, but more importantly YOU CAN PET THE DOG
©@©™

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #33378 on: July 24, 2019, 03:59:47 AM »
Can see why the ending to Inside was divisive, but theres a time and a place for art shit. I liked it. Sweet game, just used a guide to find all the secrets I missed and knocked out the 1000/1000.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33379 on: July 24, 2019, 09:08:45 AM »
Agreed. DQB2 does this also.

I'll grab that the first time it goes on sale.
dog

Freyj

« Reply #33380 on: July 24, 2019, 05:22:30 PM »
Playing Elex after Dragon Tutorial Builders 2 made me long for a game that didn’t explain shit and just dumped me into its world.

eurojank  :rejoice

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #33381 on: July 24, 2019, 10:14:43 PM »
Okay Zoo Tycoon on Xbox One is pretty sweet.

Hosing down hippos :bow

Cleaning up elephant shit :bow

Bebpo

« Reply #33382 on: July 25, 2019, 02:12:13 AM »
Finished Dave Gilbert/Wadjet Eye's Unavowed. From the Wadjet Eye games I've played, this was easily the most polished. Great VA work across the board, good writing, lot of locations. Possibly the best game they've done...from a narrative experience. The game swings heavily in favor of narrative so while there is gameplay, it's pretty straightforward and only a handful of screens at a time with a couple of items and a handful of people to talk to. The puzzles are usually more from the progression of talking to people after getting new information vs. gaining items and figure out their usage. There's still that but from a gameplay-perspective I wouldn't put this up with any of the click and point greats, but from a story & atmosphere & presentation-perspective it's up with them, so overall very good! Just enjoy a nice narrative adventure.

Oh and every arc in it has multiple ending decisions in a bioware/mass effect kind of simple way with the ending still reflecting your choices like a Black Isle/Obsidian game. Kinda neat and I enjoyed that aspect and got the "best" ending with all the choices I made even if I really wasn't sure what the "right" choice was for one of them.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #33383 on: July 25, 2019, 05:24:47 AM »
Just finished Cuphead, working on Expert now. Whoever says this game is difficult is a stupid bitch and you suck and stop playing videogames lmao

Also this game is so good, what the fuck. Cant wait for the DLC
fat

Svejk

« Reply #33385 on: July 25, 2019, 11:49:19 AM »
Cuphead's coming to tesla cars even, but not PS4...  What in the actual shit.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33386 on: July 25, 2019, 11:53:24 AM »
Cuphead's coming to tesla cars even, but not PS4...  What in the actual shit.

:lol

Get it on Steam?
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33387 on: July 25, 2019, 11:17:28 PM »
Kill La Kill IF:

Got this on Switch Wednesday off the J-eShop and just cleared the first story mode.  This game makes you unlock EVERYTHING- I was wondering if this even had online multiplayer, but once I finished it with Satsuki, ranked and player match options popped up.  So weird.

This is an arena-style fighter with simplistic game play, but it controls well and is worth checking out if you like KLK (if you don't...there's not enough here to bother with).  The Satsuki story mode is kind of an alternate-reality take on the anime story with a lot of cut scenes.  Beating it unlocks Ryuuko's story mode, which I'm about to start playing.  It even gives you a preview, anime-style, before you start playing.  Nice to see that Senketsu does have a speaking role after all.
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #33388 on: July 27, 2019, 09:40:32 AM »
Dragon Quest Builder 2,
I got this early because of a friend and it feels like it had the potential to be a GOAT life sim RPG, the systems and world are great, but it sadly is crippled by being handholding central. I didn't think it was going this bad - it's honestly on the handholding levels of Zelda Skyward Sword. Maybe even worse, because it gives you freedom, just to punish you for using it on your own.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 09:49:37 AM by Spieler1 »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #33389 on: July 27, 2019, 09:46:45 AM »
Just finished Cuphead, working on Expert now. Whoever says this game is difficult is a stupid bitch and you suck and stop playing videogames lmao
demi! be nice to dean!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33390 on: July 27, 2019, 10:51:06 AM »
Played some more Wolfenstein: Youngblood

Up to 20% after 2 hours of play.

Pros
- Shooting Nazi's
- Neu-Paris is really cool
- The new characters are great
- Extended weapon customization
- Mission types are varied so far
- Catacombs resistance area has a much better layout than the submarine did
- No overly obnoxious characters

Cons
- 80's vibe feels much like the previous game (mostly the same tech, weapons etc.), even though it should be a new era
- Low difficulty, ammo everywhere
- Dumb AI (your sister if playing SP as well as the enemies)
- Bullet sponge enemies
- Poor map (only a mini map) for an 'open space' game
- Only a few combat lines: "Good job sis" "Dude" which get repetitive really quickly

A fun spin off I guess but not really taking the series in an interesting new direction.
🤴

Freyj

« Reply #33391 on: July 27, 2019, 06:49:28 PM »
Dragon Quest Builder 2,
I got this early because of a friend and it feels like it had the potential to be a GOAT life sim RPG, the systems and world are great, but it sadly is crippled by being handholding central. I didn't think it was going this bad - it's honestly on the handholding levels of Zelda Skyward Sword. Maybe even worse, because it gives you freedom, just to punish you for using it on your own.

It really never gets any better.

The second and third islands are a neat toss up on the formula but the training wheels are so god damned irritating.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #33392 on: July 28, 2019, 05:37:45 AM »

Pros
- Shooting Nazi's

Cons
- 80's vibe feels much like the previous game (mostly the same tech, weapons etc.), even though it should be a new era
- Bullet sponge enemies
- Only a few combat lines: "Good job sis" "Dude" which get repetitive really quickly

A fun spin off I guess but not really taking the series in an interesting new direction.

How's the writing this time around?

Thought the second one faltered a lot in that area. The concentration camp scene with the fucking diesel-punk Nazi mechbots in the first one managed to feel less heavyhanded than any of the segregation spiel the second one tried to tackle.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33393 on: July 28, 2019, 06:29:48 AM »

Pros
- Shooting Nazi's

Cons
- Bullet sponge enemies

How's the writing this time around?

Thought the second one faltered a lot in that area. The concentration camp scene with the fucking diesel-punk Nazi mechbots in the first one managed to feel less heavyhanded than any of the segregation spiel the second one tried to tackle.
The writing is more witty this time around and the plot is more straightforward so far.
The US is now free and the rebel lady from the previous game runs the FBI and her baby from the previous game is now grown up and is friends with the Blazkowicz sisters.
Those characters are basically a mixture of BJ and Anja. So they just want to kill Nazi's and laugh and mess around if the blood spatters on the screen.
The other supporting characters are a French female fatale, a mute guy with scars and the likes. They don't play a very big role and the German army is comically villainous as always.

The political stuff is kinda pushed to the sides a bit but there are some clearly left leaning elements in there. Such as reports about global warming being ignored by the Nazi's.
Another weird thing is that no one else is fighting the Nazi's because countries are focused on their own differences vs. the global threat. So they claim the world is liberated in full(?) and the Nazi's only control Europe.
That however doesn't make sense because in TNO we learn that the Germans nuked Russia, colonized Africa and were allied with South America and Asia (through Japan). It seemed unlikely that the entire world could be that easily liberated just by a revolution in the US. I wonder how it ends because I'm not seeing a lot of ways the series can go from here story wise.
[close]
🤴

paprikastaude

« Reply #33394 on: July 28, 2019, 07:16:31 AM »
Dragon Quest Builder 2,

It really never gets any better.

The second and third islands are a neat toss up on the formula but the training wheels are so god damned irritating.

:fbm
Maybe the third one gets better in that regard, although there seems to be way too few people actually asking for any improvements on that front. Certainly not those dumber-than-pigeons game reviewers, they are probably happy about it. I guess Rune Factory Wii will remain the GOAT for now.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #33395 on: July 28, 2019, 06:33:45 PM »
I can't bring myself to care about vidya much these days  :fbm

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #33396 on: July 29, 2019, 04:21:28 AM »
Go outside, enjoy yourself. When you feel like gaming again there'll be a bunch of releases waiting for you at cheaper prices.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #33397 on: July 29, 2019, 02:55:18 PM »
Go outside, enjoy yourself. When you feel like gaming again there'll be a bunch of releases waiting for you at cheaper prices.

:heartbeat :heartbeat :heartbeat

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #33398 on: July 30, 2019, 05:38:43 AM »
Started Hollow Knight. Very slick presentation and well designed gameplay, kinda gruelling tho but I guess thats the idea. Cool world building.

I'm loving the Hunter Journal with the descriptions of the enemies - with the Hunter's snarky comments once you kill enough. Nice gameplay hook.

paprikastaude

« Reply #33399 on: July 30, 2019, 06:01:35 PM »
Doing a few things in Dragon Quest Builder 2 before the endless tutorial tells you to and it completely breaks the dialogue/cutscenes. :goldberg

Freyj

« Reply #33400 on: July 31, 2019, 07:27:39 PM »
Playing Elex after Dragon Tutorial Builders 2 made me long for a game that didn’t explain shit and just dumped me into its world.

eurojank  :rejoice

Elex was a good eurojank, a little let down by the early game promise of the jet pack. The best uses of it are some early set pieces after which it's mostly a means of getting higher faster. Also wasn’t a fan of how the stats served no purpose but to restrict equipment. Up to level 15-20 is kind of a slog without any real upgrades in power.

Onto Amid Evil which is insanely good so far.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #33401 on: August 01, 2019, 08:32:21 AM »
So Hollow Knight gets a lot better after the first couple of hours huh? Plenty of stuff to strive for now that I've found a few vendors, and good loadout considerations now that many charms and slots are available.

I'm loving the difficulty - feels good to platform with a bit of consequence after breezing through Gucamelee on "hard mode" with not much to worry about. The enemy behaviour design is nicely tight - tests you initially and keeps that ongoing pressure to traverse the areas well with the soul/health system. One of the few (only?) games where comparisons to "Soulsborne" are justified, both in regards to world building and gameplay loop. Team Cherry are a talented team for sure!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33402 on: August 03, 2019, 09:40:28 AM »
Started a New Game+ after 3 years on Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Woah, does this look good on Ultra on a RTX 2070 Super  :o
Such an underrated gem, easily one of the best games of the generation.
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33403 on: August 03, 2019, 10:00:57 AM »
Boring ass game that is
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #33404 on: August 03, 2019, 11:04:02 AM »
Lmao Mankind Divided is trash. Stay losing
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #33405 on: August 03, 2019, 12:58:49 PM »
So was Human Revolution, so I'll believe it :idont

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #33406 on: August 03, 2019, 01:06:56 PM »
 >:(

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33407 on: August 03, 2019, 02:23:09 PM »
I still think Human Revolution was a pretty damn good game, also the game starts so much stronger than Mankind Divided.

For some reason I liked Jensen more in the first game too, second game he was more annoying than cool.
What

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #33408 on: August 03, 2019, 06:25:22 PM »
Ahhhh shit playing an alpha for one of my fav ea games y’all

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33409 on: August 03, 2019, 07:26:44 PM »
You mean the retail version?  :awesome
🤴

Freyj

« Reply #33410 on: August 04, 2019, 01:20:18 AM »

Elex was a good eurojank, a little let down by the early game promise of the jet pack. The best uses of it are some early set pieces after which it's mostly a means of getting higher faster. Also wasn’t a fan of how the stats served no purpose but to restrict equipment. Up to level 15-20 is kind of a slog without any real upgrades in power.

Onto Amid Evil which is insanely good so far.

AMID EVIL fucking rules. Hexen, Heretic, Quake feels all over. Can't recommend it enough. Was really tempted to immediately launch into DUSK (it's Quake-y brother) after finishing it.

Gonna try to finish Outer Wilds while starting Three Houses next.

kingv

« Reply #33411 on: August 04, 2019, 04:53:41 AM »

Never go full Shinobi.
 :sistine

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #33412 on: August 04, 2019, 12:40:44 PM »
Idgi

But the alpha is real fun

Bebpo

« Reply #33413 on: August 10, 2019, 02:02:03 AM »
Played about an hour of Where the Water Tastes Like Wine on xbox pc game pass. Neat concept for an adventure game. Walking across old time USA running into stories with branching and then having conversations with 16 major characters trying to up their companion points by telling the right kind of stories you've learned (so if they want to hear something happy, you tell them a happy story you ran into), and upping their companion points reveals more of their story told across multiple encounters.

Good music and VA. Writing seems good too and setting is neat. You move kinda slow if you're not hitchiking (which only goes from city to city so if you wanna experience the stories along the way, walking is better), but otherwise it's a pretty original concept and executes it pretty well.

Oh, one issue I have with it is the game is about running into stories yet when you hitchike it just takes you to the next city in silence. Considering hitchiking is often about storytelling it seems like a missed opportunity to not have a random set of hitchiking stories that play out sometimes when you hitchike.

Anyhow, for free it's worth a try!

Svejk

« Reply #33414 on: August 10, 2019, 10:59:29 AM »
Tried the Black Desert beta last night.  It's certainly overwhelming at first but started to get use to the interface.  I thought it ran ok on base PS4.  Framerate seemed decent, but the buffering of textures was muddy often.  Nothing to take away from the fast gameplay and what with all's going on.  I'm a total sucker for good character creators (which this has the best hands down) and cosmetic options, in which this appears to have tons of dye options.  Looking forward to diving into the release to do more.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #33415 on: August 11, 2019, 09:06:34 AM »
I finally got a chance to play an Amstrad GX4000 and ZX (aka Zed Ex) Spectrum... most of the games were absolutely terrible. Confusing controls and abysmal framerates. The best game I probably played on either system were ports of Pang (GX4000) and Bomb Jack (Spectrum).
^_^

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #33416 on: August 12, 2019, 04:02:51 AM »
Been a mental couple of weeks with Uni and work so haven't had much time for vidya.

Have been playing My Time at Portia when I can. Decided to check it out since it was on Xbox Game Pass and Rumbler said it was good. Yeah this game is chill, fun and very addictive. Great game design, and some damn awful character art, but it's not too much of a big deal.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #33417 on: August 12, 2019, 04:16:02 AM »
I finally got a chance to play an Amstrad GX4000 and ZX (aka Zed Ex) Spectrum... most of the games were absolutely terrible. Confusing controls and abysmal framerates. The best game I probably played on either system were ports of Pang (GX4000) and Bomb Jack (Spectrum).

I loved playing on the Amstrad CPC. Waiting 3 minutes for the tape to load a shitty version of frogger. :D

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #33418 on: August 12, 2019, 12:20:37 PM »

Cookie :rejoice

JetPac : :jeb

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #33419 on: August 12, 2019, 05:16:15 PM »
Was looking for some couch co-op fun with the fam, came across Full Metal Furies on gamepass. Pretty fun, plus you get to read it as furries the whole time