Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3558910 times)

Potato

• Senior's Member
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #33780 on: November 25, 2019, 10:45:04 PM »
Started on The Touryst. I love Shin'en games. Only just started, but seems very quirky.
Spud

bluemax

« Reply #33781 on: November 25, 2019, 11:46:10 PM »
I've always heard that they punish grinding somehow. Is it a warranted concern if you explore for treasure ('natural' grinding, if you can't avoid combat)? And what actually happens? Can you screw yourself?

It's a little easier to dodge encounters in RS3 than RS2. I think RS3 changes how quests become available from RS1 and RS2 so the battle counter probably isn't as big of a deal. I guess if you got into a lot of fights that you ran from you might be able to fuck yourself but it feels somewhat better balanced than other SaGa games.

I can link you to a site that has more info on mechanics if you are interested.
NO

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #33782 on: November 25, 2019, 11:55:11 PM »
Yespls!

Freyj

« Reply #33783 on: November 26, 2019, 01:16:30 AM »
Been playing a lot of Path of Exile in lieu of the D4 trailer and Exilecon announcements.

Maybe the most systemed game I’ve ever played. Not fully sure how PoE2 will shake things up but there are so many events and special currencies and stats to roll that it’s completely overwhelming at first.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33784 on: November 26, 2019, 07:35:10 AM »
Well its coming to Steam so ill eventually buy it
What

Freyj

« Reply #33785 on: November 26, 2019, 11:46:29 AM »
U got me interested in Ashen but just realized its not on Steam

Ill just pirate it then

Umm... why isn't it on Steam? It's an old game, from 2018! Is it Xbox One exclusive? :lol

It was an EGS exclusive but is releasing on Steam on Dec 9th I think.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #33786 on: November 26, 2019, 01:41:38 PM »
I finished Man of Medan last night - very short game (for a playthrough at least). Huge step down from Until Dawn. Once you beat the game you get a teaser for the "next game" (Little Hope) that seems to take place in a town with witches and shit.

What's disappointing is that Until Dawn had that supernatural and very real threat that gets revealed near the end, Man of Medan decides to go for the Uncharted "grounded in reality" route for its supernatural element

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everything that happens on the ship is a hallucination caused by a chemical leak
[close]
fat

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #33787 on: November 26, 2019, 06:55:32 PM »
Finished Control's critical path (and most side quests).
I loved it for the most part, there were a couple of things in the design i didn't like (the respawn system, some of the artistic visual choices impacting gameplay negatively, a bit of repetitiveness) but i'm very glad a game like this got made.
The setting was top shelf, visual design was amazing, combat was fluid and very fun to play (and nice to look at, with those animations).
Story felt a bit rushed in the finale, but it had many cool moments, but it didn't develop its characters enough to land the more emotional side, in my opinion.
There's a lot to mine there, though, i hope they'll consider a sequel or, even better, a "side-quel", kind of like Alan Wake is, in relation to it.

As a Metroidvania of sort, i'm not sure it handled the backtracking in the best way, you opened doors with increasing levels of key cards, which is a pretty basic way of going at it, and the only power that really opens up new areas, is levitation (which is amazing) and an immunization pill (which has no gameplay ramification, so might as well be another key card).
Plus the bonfire system felt out of place as i mentioned.

Anyway, the important thing is, i finally go back to loving Remedy like in the Max Payne days.  :'(
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 07:06:06 PM by Don Rumata »

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #33788 on: November 27, 2019, 12:15:25 AM »
Just beat Old Man's Journey, solely for the purpose of easy gamerscore for the 10,000 gamerscore in 10 days promo (MS gives rewards points equal to the gamerscore you earn in selected titles).

Gotta be one of the worst "adventure" games I've ever played. Barely a game, it's more reminiscent of an edutainment CD rom from the early 90s, except I remember Little Critter Goes to the Beach was more interactive. You can click on like, a dozen interactive widgets in the entire game. The rest is a bunch of basic puzzles involving dragging hills around. Some seriously wanky stuff, cant understand the 4/5 review average. Guess some people get turned on by pretty pictures or something. NGL some of the art was good.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #33789 on: November 27, 2019, 12:44:07 AM »
Hahahahahahahahahaha, there is a proper Blighttown in Ashen with slow down water, fucking archers all around you and scaffoldings EVERYWHERE.

(Image removed from quote.)

And holy shit! @ this last (final?) map reveal and look. Insane what this art style delivers sometimes. I hope that is the Last Boss Palace in the distance, gotta get there...

(Image removed from quote.)

looks good. has been on my radar for a bit, but not because i'm really interested in another souls clone but because it's a new zealand studio.
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #33790 on: November 27, 2019, 04:34:14 AM »
Started playing Phoenix Wright: Yakuza Attorney, aka Judgement. It was $25 at Best Buy.
©@©™

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #33791 on: November 28, 2019, 04:03:53 PM »
Tinkering with Luigi’s Mansion before heading out for T-Day. Even after indulging fancy PC tastes for a few weeks, this game’s visuals are still outstanding. I don’t know what the special sauce is, but this is probably tops for visuals for me this year. Between this and Link’s Awakening, Nintendo is really impressing me when it comes to delivering on a tech budget, more than they normally do.
serge

Chooky

« Reply #33792 on: November 29, 2019, 05:03:30 PM »
still on a metal gear kick so I figured I'd play the few that I never touched.

metal gear 1 is surprisingly still a lot of fun. it cracks me up that so many people want a remake when the game is already filled with stuff that was reused later on. guiding a Nikita across an electric floor, donning an enemy disguise, fighting a helicopter and tank, it's all here. the beginning of the game is too tough as you try to figure out enemy ai, and there is some 8bit trolling with pits and one way doors and whatnot, but otherwise it's still very smooth. nice level design and creative items make it a blast.

on the other hand, metal gear survive. I'm only a few hours in and it's not a total abomination, but damn is it boring. going it picks up when I can get in to base building mechanics.

Chooky

« Reply #33793 on: November 29, 2019, 07:59:00 PM »
still on a metal gear kick so I figured I'd play the few that I never touched.

metal gear 1 is surprisingly still a lot of fun. it cracks me up that so many people want a remake when the game is already filled with stuff that was reused later on. guiding a Nikita across an electric floor, donning an enemy disguise, fighting a helicopter and tank, it's all here. the beginning of the game is too tough as you try to figure out enemy ai, and there is some 8bit trolling with pits and one way doors and whatnot, but otherwise it's still very smooth. nice level design and creative items make it a blast.

Funny you mention that as MG2: Solid Snake is so much like MGS that MGS might as well have been a remake of it.

that's what i've heard, that it's basically 2D MGS1. it's the only metal gear i haven't played (besides PO+) so i'm looking forward to it. MG1 is relatively barebones compared to Kojima's post-Snatcher games so i'm excited to see how much MG2 adds.

Chooky

« Reply #33794 on: November 30, 2019, 04:39:02 PM »
it has been years and years since i played a game i thought truly sucked. like i honestly can't remember the last time i played something that pissed me off and felt like it was wasting my time. it certainly couldn't have been this gen because there's just so much good stuff that's came out. having said that: metal gear survive really, honestly, sucks my ass. fuck this bullshit ass game.

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #33795 on: December 01, 2019, 09:30:31 AM »
Got my free month of origin access. Played and beat Titanfall 2 in one sitting. Really fun game, definitely worth checking out.

I don't think there is much else I'd want to play on origin though. Will give NFS (2015) a go, and maybe BFV  :-\
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Bebpo

« Reply #33796 on: December 01, 2019, 05:51:17 PM »
Just beat Old Man's Journey, solely for the purpose of easy gamerscore for the 10,000 gamerscore in 10 days promo (MS gives rewards points equal to the gamerscore you earn in selected titles).

Gotta be one of the worst "adventure" games I've ever played. Barely a game, it's more reminiscent of an edutainment CD rom from the early 90s, except I remember Little Critter Goes to the Beach was more interactive. You can click on like, a dozen interactive widgets in the entire game. The rest is a bunch of basic puzzles involving dragging hills around. Some seriously wanky stuff, cant understand the 4/5 review average. Guess some people get turned on by pretty pictures or something. NGL some of the art was good.

Yeah, I tried playing this and it sucked and I like walking sims and simple adventure games and stuff. Don't understand the reviews either. Deleted it after an hour.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #33797 on: December 01, 2019, 07:41:50 PM »
A this-but-this of ReCore
I had forgotten every impression of this by the time I started it up, but I was pleasantly surprised. At least initially.

- Combat and traversal feel good and your bots are very useful throughout (prioritize Duncan, he cleans shop).
- Dungeons rely mostly on combat and traversal challenges, no puzzles to speak of.
- Fights are fun for a while, but then they start forcing you to defeat waves of bullet sponges, dragging things out needlessly and highlighting how samey the fights are. Variety in types and encounters only changes what and how you dodge, not how you fight.
- You can decide if you want to yank enemy cores out (for upgrade juice) or blast it to bits (for upgrade mats). Later on you will be yanking them out just to get it over with, as that can be done at two-thirds of their health bar.
- Build up a 10-hit combo and you can insta-yank a core, even from a full HP enemy. You can even bank one insta-yank for the next fight.
- You can have one bot out and two on-hand, but there are three in total. Technical limitation, probably, but it's super annoying when you explore the overworld and run into a spot where you need one you left at home.
- The biggest kick in the balls though: you will at one point need 15 (then 30) McGuffins to progress the main story, which you can find by exploring the overworld or, most commonly, from what I had assumed to be optional dungeons. Almost stopped then and there, but kept going, cause I am stupid.
- The final dungeon is an infurating gauntlet set in nearly featureless environment. Same basic design as the challenge dungeons, except textureless cyberspace, i.e. this is where they blatantly ran out time and money. Was it really THAT much cheaper to make a bunch of filler than to make another dungeon or two? I'm guessing yes. :doge

tl;dr
Good fundamentals, but padded to shit.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 07:52:47 PM by Rufus »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #33798 on: December 01, 2019, 11:35:20 PM »
Started Doublefine's RAD, probably their last independent game now that they've been bought by Microsoft. It's compelling. The moment to moment gameplay is fun, engaging and relatively challenging. The economy seems to work so far, esp. now that I've finally understood that the bank in town holds all cash banked by Reborn (your player  character) across each delve attempt. So  I've lost about 300 so far just from failing to grasp that mechanic.  It has the usual DF charm if that works for you (it does for me) and the music and visuals are excellent.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #33799 on: December 02, 2019, 03:24:49 PM »
Game Pass rules

Anyway

- Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Great game, I think SOTN is better but this is a good follow up.

- Guacamelee 2

More Guacamelee. They seemed to have upped the "git gud" approach with the platforming. Combat can get frustrating at times.

- Tacoma

Easy 1000, also fat lesbians rule

- Hollow Knight

Just started. Might as well experience this one. Apparently the Xbox version has achievements for shit like doing the permadeath mode, while PS4 doesn't. Pussies (I'm just going to play the classic / story mode and get what I can out of that)
fat

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #33800 on: December 02, 2019, 03:41:33 PM »
Started ReCore on game pass, game is pretty fun but also not very difficult. Fun little way to pass the time though. Also even with a Ryzen 2600 and 2070 Super this thing still somehow dips below 60fps sometimes, it's just that poorly optimized :lol

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #33801 on: December 02, 2019, 06:04:40 PM »
Oh, it will get more difficult. Some of the bullshit encounter design is downright infuriating. :maf

Installed Forza Horizon 4. It sure is a racing game. Yup. Pretty though.
Gonna try and progress to the supercar tier, but I might get bored much sooner, as usual with racing games these days.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 06:08:55 PM by Rufus »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #33802 on: December 03, 2019, 07:27:10 AM »
So far I disagree
fat

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #33803 on: December 03, 2019, 11:17:45 AM »
So far Fallen order falls flat. If it wasn't a star wars game I don't think it'd be notable. The combat's good. They should have just focused on that instead of trying to cram every popular game into it.  I mean who at the pitch meeting heard
 "You get all these awesome Jedi powers! And you use them to do things like jump and climb! and clamber!"
"Ok what about combat?"
"Oh yes, that's quite good. But only after you jump and climb and squeeze and crawl"
"But wait, any dolt can climb and crawl, why make the player a jedi then make them do mundane things?"
"Oh and they can slide like sonic!"

And didn't say, "wait. this makes no sense."

I mean, it's a step in the right direction. But still...

Anyone playing Romancing SaGa 3? usually SaGa games don't hold up at all. Does this one?
que

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #33804 on: December 03, 2019, 11:39:12 AM »
I kind of agree, but also the think the combat ISN'T very good at all.
It's basically a carbon copy of Sekiro, without any of the fluidity.
The whole thing is incredibly mediocre so far, aside from the fact that Star Wars games are usually dog shit.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33805 on: December 03, 2019, 04:28:28 PM »
Jedi Knight II still better
What

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #33806 on: December 03, 2019, 09:01:56 PM »
So far Fallen order falls flat. If it wasn't a star wars game I don't think it'd be notable. The combat's good. They should have just focused on that instead of trying to cram every popular game into it.  I mean who at the pitch meeting heard
 "You get all these awesome Jedi powers! And you use them to do things like jump and climb! and clamber!"
"Ok what about combat?"
"Oh yes, that's quite good. But only after you jump and climb and squeeze and crawl"
"But wait, any dolt can climb and crawl, why make the player a jedi then make them do mundane things?"

Anyone playing Romancing SaGa 3? usually SaGa games don't hold up at all. Does this one?

I've played the original SFC one, not all the way through of course... was pretty fun if you don't mind Kawazu-style obtuseness. Beautiful graphics and music too.
^_^

bluemax

« Reply #33807 on: December 04, 2019, 01:05:11 AM »
"Ok what about combat?"

I made a post in one of these threads about it. I got sidetracked with a bunch of other stuff but TLDR RS3 is the best of the SNES SaGa games. It's not as fondly remembered as RS2 (by the Japanese populace anyhow) but it has better balancing for the most part.

Good site for info: https://romancing-saga-3.blogspot.com/
NO

Propagandhim

« Reply #33808 on: December 04, 2019, 11:05:35 AM »
LISA: The Painful RPG.   How did I miss this?  Hilarious game and great storytelling.

paprikastaude

« Reply #33809 on: December 04, 2019, 11:13:25 AM »
Wanted to try that free Monster Energy racing game that comes with PS+ while Titanfall was loading - a biking game, why not? The video looks okay  :doge  30 seconds to a minute wasted on logos, another 30 seconds to get to the starting menu. Then another minute of loading. Then a stuttering mess of a game and getting it de-installed  :doge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #33810 on: December 04, 2019, 12:53:09 PM »
LISA: The Painful RPG.   How did I miss this?

Probably by not watching the premier contenfluencer on Youtube.

©@©™

« Reply #33811 on: December 04, 2019, 02:20:13 PM »
I’m playing thru death stranding and oddly liking it? It’s like if David Lynch watched a delivery man anime and then made a game based on it.

Freyj

« Reply #33812 on: December 06, 2019, 01:31:05 PM »
Finished Trails in the Sky SC after a decade hiatus and I’ve turned around on the series after playing the PC version with one notable improvement: a customizable Turbo Mode for both battle and field. My main beef with FC was that the battles were just obnoxiously slow at times and this cuts right through that.

Gonna take a break before moving onto 3rd / Cold Steel but happy to be happy with a JRPG again, it’s been a while. I know they’re old games at this point but the release of FC on the PSP came during a time when I was growing pretty jaded on the direction of JRPGs and I’ve mostly fallen off the wagon on trying any new JRPGs in the last 6-7 years.

Started SaGa Scarlet Grace last night and as always with SaGa: what a bizarre little game but god damn is the battle system good here.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #33813 on: December 06, 2019, 07:49:51 PM »
No because artificial challenges like SL1 are stupid
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #33814 on: December 07, 2019, 12:44:49 AM »
Tried out one of the indie games in the humble bundle because I liked the style, called Desert Child

It's a Cowboy Bebop inspired hip-hop funk on mars hoverbike racing and chill game. Visuals are great, music is great, but the gameplay kinda sucks. There's no indication of when the race is gonna end and the CPU rubberband keeps up with you if you boost ahead so within 10 mins it became apparent the best strategy is to hang back just behind the CPU and save your boost and when you see the finish line boost ahead, the end.

Also playing it I was thinking "please don't be made by a white guy" and looked up the main guy and yeah, it's made by a white guy.

https://geeksociety.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/IMG_20170611_191259.jpg

It's not a huge strike against it, but I just feel like these days if you're trying to make a game about a certain culture (like black culture here) and you're a white dude who probably didn't grow up and has very little understanding of it outside media that it's kinda cringy. Like when I saw the Guacemelee 2 credits pop up and the entire Drinkbox team making games about Mexican culture was 100% white Canadians. Doesn't make the game bad, just kinda cringy.

I'll give the guy this though, he did the soundtrack pretty much himself (along with everything else in the game since it's a 1 person dev game) and it's pretty darn good:

https://icecreamsandwich.bandcamp.com/releases
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 12:49:30 AM by Bebpo »

FatalT

« Reply #33815 on: December 07, 2019, 01:13:49 AM »
I picked up Code Vein during the Black Friday sale on PSN and it's been a joy to play. It's basically a very simplified Souls-like with an actually follow-able story-line that doesn't require you to look up item descriptions and things like that just to understand entirely what's going on. It's also hella weeb and I love it for it.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #33816 on: December 07, 2019, 03:56:44 AM »
Like when I saw the Guacemelee 2 credits pop up and the entire Drinkbox team making games about Mexican culture was 100% white Canadians. Doesn't make the game bad, just kinda cringy.

You must be spending too much time on ResetEra.

They did their homework on Mexican history.

"I'm an archaeologist who works in Mexico and this game is littered with funny and well-researched nods to Mexican history and pre-history. I imagine that matters less to the non-archaeologists out there, but the fact that they took the time to research all their jokes speaks to the care that went into this game."

Unless you feel like only people of a certain skin colour can make games about a certain cultures, which seems racist in itself and probably leads to widening the racial divide instead of bridging that gap.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #33817 on: December 07, 2019, 03:59:26 AM »

Bebpo

« Reply #33818 on: December 07, 2019, 04:10:18 AM »
It's not a black/white thing.

The problem with stuff like Guacamelee is that while they obviously were trying to make a positive game celebrating Mexican culture, they also included a lot of stereotypes of Mexican culture. It's not harmful, but if you're a team 10 white people making a game about Mexican culture it feels like it'd be smart in 2019 to have 1 consultant in Mexico to run things by.

I know if I was making a game about a culture I'd want someone from that culture to at least consult on the game since no matter how much I research it's not my culture.

https://kotaku.com/im-mexican-am-i-supposed-to-be-offended-by-guacamelee-476018607

Obviously in the case of something like Desert Child where it's an entirely 1 person developed game it's a little different than a Drinkbox size team of 10 people or so.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #33819 on: December 07, 2019, 04:45:28 AM »
Augusto 'Cuxo' Quijano- 🇲🇽 Concept Lead at @DrinkBoxStudios.

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/i-made-guacamelee-to-create-a-mexican-hero/

Edit: I like the kotaku link with their clickbait garbage though.

Chooky

« Reply #33820 on: December 07, 2019, 04:56:46 AM »
Unless you feel like only people of a certain skin colour can make games about a certain cultures, which seems racist in itself and probably leads to widening the racial divide instead of bridging that gap.

hey look my eyes just rolled all the way back into my head

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #33821 on: December 07, 2019, 05:16:26 AM »

hey look my eyes just rolled all the way back into my head

Here's a quote from the article by the mexican immigrant that worked on Guacamelee.

"Nowadays, many creators think that they can’t tell stories with characters that are not their exact ethnic background. This is ridiculous. In our search for equality, we’ve created fear. When someone says, “I can’t write a Mexican protagonist because I’m not Mexican,” I know they are afraid of offending someone, but what I also hear is they can’t connect to Mexicans as people. Fear should not be driving our creative decisions. I know increased awareness of cultural appropriation has made it a risk to write characters that aren’t our own cultures, but I think it’s way riskier to avoid even trying.

Personally, I’d rather be appropriated than invisible, but avoiding both doesn’t have to be that hard. If you choose to include more Latin American characters in your work, don’t work in a vacuum: talk to Latin Americans. Do your research. Society is demanding us as storytellers to rise to the occasion. I wish creators could start to see this as a problem to solve and not as one to be avoided."

But I guess just rolling your eyes and asking for segregation is better.

Chooky

« Reply #33822 on: December 07, 2019, 05:46:18 AM »
ah yes, right wingers really just want more diversity. of course.

the issue isn't fear, it's authenticity. if you don't know the culture you're going to fall back on tropes and stereotypes and create something inauthentic at best or harmful at worst. like if, say, a bunch of Japanese devs tried to put Christianity in their world and it came off looking silly to us because the missed a lot of nuances. or if a bunch of white Canadians and one Mexican dude made a game about Mexico where the biggest sidequest was "please help me build my taco."

but sure, this is about segregation and not overreaching. all a part of the plot to keep the white man down, ofc.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #33823 on: December 07, 2019, 09:29:22 AM »
ah yes, right wingers really just want more diversity. of course.

the issue isn't fear, it's authenticity. if you don't know the culture you're going to fall back on tropes and stereotypes and create something inauthentic at best or harmful at worst. like if, say, a bunch of Japanese devs tried to put Christianity in their world and it came off looking silly to us because the missed a lot of nuances. or if a bunch of white Canadians and one Mexican dude made a game about Mexico where the biggest sidequest was "please help me build my taco."

but sure, this is about segregation and not overreaching. all a part of the plot to keep the white man down, ofc.
Not the best example, since this is 60% of JRPGs and even stuff like Silent Hill (which btw, is part of why Silent Hill made by westerners doesn't work) is founded on the distorted interpretation of a foreign culture.

When you get jokes in the mix, it can certainly get cheap and offensive, but in general, this is just a dumb argument.

As a side note, i don't know what getting a guy from the culture as a "consultant" means in practice, since a "culture" is such an abstract and broad concept.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33824 on: December 07, 2019, 09:41:15 AM »
Once you go down the road of "You can only use your own culture or what you've personally experienced in your art" you might as well just throw the creative arts in the dumpster, because they're dead. I agree that if you're going to create something that is very specifically about a different culture other than your own you need to exercise care, but anyone should be able to use anything they want and not feel constrained to never venture outside their "lane."

The issue of representation/diversity among creatives themselves is a separate issue entirely, however.
dog

Chooky

« Reply #33825 on: December 07, 2019, 10:31:52 AM »
Once you go down the road of "You can only use your own culture or what you've personally experienced in your art" you might as well just throw the creative arts in the dumpster, because they're dead. I agree that if you're going to create something that is very specifically about a different culture other than your own you need to exercise care,

well yeah, people aren't saying to never write about culture that isn't your own, the issue is what you said in your second sentence. if you're gonna make the focus of your story a culture that you don't know firsthand, then you better make sure you do it right or expect criticism. also in a collaborative project like most videogames, it's appropriate to ask why they'd hire a writer to write about something they don't know about when the project would require detailed knowledge of the topic.

paprikastaude

« Reply #33826 on: December 07, 2019, 11:50:03 AM »
Critique of "cultural appropriation" has turned nationalistic and anti-globalist at this point. "Only Chinese people are allowed to make Chinese food" - is pretty much every rightwinger's ideology, except if you come from the idiot's US identity politics.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 05:25:51 AM by Spieler1 »

Chooky

« Reply #33827 on: December 07, 2019, 12:30:55 PM »
"we want to be able to tell our own stories"

"wow so now we're not allow to tell your stories? wow what is this apartheid 2.0"  :doge

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33828 on: December 07, 2019, 01:30:00 PM »
If you're making a WW2 shooter you better get some insight from a retired member of the Waffen SS.
Don't want your game to be riddled with tropes and stereotypes.  :snob
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #33829 on: December 07, 2019, 01:45:48 PM »
"we want to be able to tell our own stories"

"wow so now we're not allow to tell your stories? wow what is this apartheid 2.0"  :doge
???
What "stories" are we even talking about?

Chooky

« Reply #33830 on: December 07, 2019, 02:13:52 PM »
narratives in various forms of media??

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #33831 on: December 07, 2019, 06:25:35 PM »
narratives in various forms of media??
If we agree that anyone can write about, or use elements of, cultures other than their own. And we agree the more sensitive the subject, the more care is to be applied.
What even is the point of contention?

I'm not sure who you were mimicking with those quotes, is all.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #33832 on: December 07, 2019, 08:38:33 PM »
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Yeah, I don't know that this is for me. Just seems like a chore to play. Gonna give it a couple more hours, since I spent so much time downloading this, but I'm not too excited to go back.

Freyj

« Reply #33833 on: December 07, 2019, 09:11:21 PM »
Finished Act 10 and the first few quests for Zana in the Atlas of Path of Exile for the first time and I’m going to retire this Necro until 3.9 hits on the 13th.

Not sure why I waited until now to give it a go but it’s essentially all I needed out of a followup to Diablo 2. It’s also maybe the most complicated game I’ve spent much time with. Most builds are fairly easy to play and center around a handful of synergies and a single “6L” RMB skill, but the number of systems and currencies and subsystems and subcurrencies are just a lot to absorb. It’s unapologetic in its complexities and I suppose that’s not a bad thing overall. If this were a Blizzard game PoE2 would completely rip out the passive skill tree in favor of a single binary / ternary choice every 10 levels, condense modifiers on Rares and Uniques to a max of 1-2 and reduce skill gems to a pool of maybe 10 choices per class.

bluemax

« Reply #33834 on: December 07, 2019, 10:23:43 PM »
Started Indivisible and... I dunno if I can play this game.  It really isn't a JRPG at all. It's a very basic Metroidvania with a combat system for fighting game players. I mean I shouldn't be surprised or anything, I just thought maybe it would have more traditional JRPG progression to balance out my crappy dexterity, but I'm getting destroyed by basic fights because I have crap timing. At least save points are frequent and you don't lose much by dying.
NO

Svejk

« Reply #33835 on: December 07, 2019, 11:06:25 PM »
Yeah, I don't know that this is for me. Just seems like a chore to play. Gonna give it a couple more hours, since I spent so much time downloading this, but I'm not too excited to go back.
I've been on the fence about getting this game.. It seems like it would benefit more being in VR... Maybe next gen?

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #33836 on: December 08, 2019, 05:51:27 AM »
I've been on the fence about getting this game.. It seems like it would benefit more being in VR... Maybe next gen?
That would actually make sense. It's all about realism and immersion as is, VR would only improve it. The camera is already attached to your head (and your body fully modeled and animated), but as usual with these 'realistic' cameras, it's not stabalized; something I've come to despise as it feels like your're permanently drunk or have vertigo.
The combat would benefit from motion controls as well, because it basically works like Skyward Sword already, only more complicated and fuzzier.

paprikastaude

« Reply #33837 on: December 08, 2019, 10:18:59 AM »
picked up Tembo The Badass Elephant during a sale because someone wrote about it here. Seems like it's bog standard platforming, whose entire reason for existing is that elephants are cute.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 01:30:08 PM by Spieler1 »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #33838 on: December 08, 2019, 10:23:42 AM »
Friends came over and we had a Ninja Turtles themed game day...

We played TMNT 1-3 NES, the first 2 GB games, and Turtles in Time...

I managed to beat Turtles in Time with my friend (on normal mode with the lives counter jacked up), and Back from the Sewers (on easy). Got to the end stage of Fall of the Foot Clan then the game crashed. Also was unfortunately having sync and crash issues for the 3 NES games which was putting a damper on them. Not sure if it was because the games were dirty (probably not since I regularly q-tip/rubbing alcohol clean them) or because my RGB NES has issues.

As far as GB games go, I prefer Fall of the Foot Clan to Back from the Sewers. The sequel seems to have many more cheap hits owing to your lack of dexterity. It's also kinda weird how stiff and upright the Turtles stand in the game.
^_^

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #33839 on: December 08, 2019, 11:31:36 AM »
Rufus was right. ReCore wanted me to grind out a bunch of shit and it's not interesting enough for all that so :nope

So instead I'm going back to grinding in Division 2 :lol