Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3558990 times)

demi and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Freyj

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #34800 on: May 11, 2020, 12:30:04 PM »
Started Trails of Cold Steel (1) after catching up on Crossbell (Ao best Trails game). Might actually be caught up on this series by the time quar ends.

Not a big fan of the school setting, but it still has the charm and world building of a Trails game so I can’t fault it too much for going in harder on tropes. Rean is the least interesting protag so far, but the supporting cast is good enough that I don’t really mind.

Started on Hard since I’d read that CS was the first series that got it “right” and while Normal is probably easier than Sky / Crossbell, JRPG difficulty balancing is still garbage and I’ll probably just play on Normal for the remaining CS games. Thankfully there’s enough ways to break the game with Quartz once you get past the first few chapters that it isn’t too irritating.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #34801 on: May 11, 2020, 02:08:23 PM »
Why is it a video of you being racist?
that's just the soundtrack to csgo

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #34802 on: May 11, 2020, 02:10:24 PM »
Started Trails of Cold Steel (1) after catching up on Crossbell (Ao best Trails game). Might actually be caught up on this series by the time quar ends.

Not a big fan of the school setting, but it still has the charm and world building of a Trails game so I can’t fault it too much for going in harder on tropes. Rean is the least interesting protag so far, but the supporting cast is good enough that I don’t really mind.

Started on Hard since I’d read that CS was the first series that got it “right” and while Normal is probably easier than Sky / Crossbell, JRPG difficulty balancing is still garbage and I’ll probably just play on Normal for the remaining CS games. Thankfully there’s enough ways to break the game with Quartz once you get past the first few chapters that it isn’t too irritating.

CS1 isn't really all too challenging, with the exception of a few boss fights (usually against Ouroboros and their cronies). CS2 is much more difficult, especially the grueling endgame areas and boss fights. 3 is actually a pretty easy game, with the exception of 1 or 2 fights.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #34803 on: May 11, 2020, 02:24:53 PM »

On the CS games I ended up playing on the highest difficulty and just toning it down occasionally for bs boss spikes. The games are brain dead easy compared to past Kiseki/Trails games.

What'd you think of Crossbell?

Cryo

« Reply #34804 on: May 11, 2020, 03:47:48 PM »
I'm not big on action games though I did enjoy Bayonetta and the 3D castlevania games  (:doge) when I did play them in the past, but I am enjoying Bayonetta 2 on switch so much that I'll probably do more than get stone & bronze awards every chapter on normal like I did with the first game. I feel like the game is pretty impressive in keeping the FPS high on the switch's shitty CPU, especially when there's quite a bit going on environment wise.

Which of the two did y'all like more?

Svejk

« Reply #34805 on: May 11, 2020, 04:21:47 PM »
Tried Samorost 3.  Game has a certain familiar charm to it.  The animation and sound are both well done.  I never finished Machinarium though... this is making me want to go back and finish it, soooo I picked it up again on the Play store.  :D

Bebpo

« Reply #34806 on: May 11, 2020, 04:53:17 PM »
Amanita Design's games are definitely charming. I haven't been able to finish any of the Samorost games because they're kinda too abstract, less compelling to me.

Really liked Machinarium, Botanicula, CHUCHEL and their card interaction based mobile game Pilgrims.

Their upcoming game Creaks is the most normal looking game they've ever done.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #34807 on: May 11, 2020, 05:28:07 PM »
I'm not big on action games though I did enjoy Bayonetta and the 3D castlevania games  (:doge) when I did play them in the past, but I am enjoying Bayonetta 2 on switch so much that I'll probably do more than get stone & bronze awards every chapter on normal like I did with the first game. I feel like the game is pretty impressive in keeping the FPS high on the switch's shitty CPU, especially when there's quite a bit going on environment wise.

Which of the two did y'all like more?

If you're asking which Bayonetta I liked more, I will probably go with 2 overall, though both have their negatives
fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #34808 on: May 11, 2020, 06:27:41 PM »
Alexandria  :whoo

Aya :whew

🤴

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #34809 on: May 11, 2020, 07:49:50 PM »
the first game to me has higher highs in that it has tons of over the top shit and loads of incredible weapons, but damn the lows are low. there's the stuff wrath mentioned, and i'd also add in the stupid minigame at the end of every. fucking. level. bayo 2 only gets really crazy during boss fights and a few other parts, and the weapons overall are much weaker, but otherwise it plays much much smoother. also holy fuck the visual design is incredible.
pcp

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #34810 on: May 11, 2020, 08:07:14 PM »
Both are amazing, but the first one slightly edges out for me since it feels more like a cohesive adventure with actual level design instead of a combat hallway simulator like the second.
Margs

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #34811 on: May 11, 2020, 08:30:35 PM »
Why is it a video of you being racist?

I would never share videos of me saying gamer words. This is all on... ehm... Girth Lord. A random guy from Finland in my solo queue, who decided that the best way to shut up the Romanian on the team, was repeating some cool gamer words.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 08:37:41 PM by Mr Gilhaney »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34812 on: May 11, 2020, 08:59:33 PM »
Tried Samorost 3.  Game has a certain familiar charm to it.  The animation and sound are both well done.  I never finished Machinarium though... this is making me want to go back and finish it, soooo I picked it up again on the Play store.  :D
Good idea!
Machinarium and Samorost (3 in particular) are some of my fondest recent gaming memories.
I also happen to think that Samorost 3 has the best soundtrack in a videogame, it really appeals to my music tastes, but i loved Dvorak/Floex already before it.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #34813 on: May 11, 2020, 10:01:23 PM »
fat

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #34814 on: May 11, 2020, 10:16:48 PM »
Mission 10 of Ace Combat 7  :lawd

Lol that isn't even one of the best ones IMO. I love Missions 7 and 15. The majority of the game is fuckin awesome.

I'm up to mission 14 in my quest to get all the named enemy Aces (and beat game on Normal). Then i'll be beating game on hard and ace.

I also gave the first DLC mission a shot, damn its hard! I got a fail condition when the timer ran out even though I had reached the score - perhaps I let some baddies get too close?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #34815 on: May 11, 2020, 11:00:01 PM »
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #34816 on: May 11, 2020, 11:03:34 PM »
No
fat

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #34817 on: May 12, 2020, 01:00:24 AM »
Ugh, got wiped by
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Whisper Bahamut
[close]
at the end of FF7r, realized I'd have to do a bunch of shit over, and decided to hang it up for the night.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #34818 on: May 12, 2020, 01:14:35 AM »
There's usually a lot of checkpoints. Maybe it's not so bad? I died a few times and it always started pretty close.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #34819 on: May 12, 2020, 01:25:28 AM »
Just Magnify + Manaward and you win
fat

Freyj

« Reply #34820 on: May 12, 2020, 02:27:58 AM »
CS1 isn't really all too challenging, with the exception of a few boss fights (usually against Ouroboros and their cronies). CS2 is much more difficult, especially the grueling endgame areas and boss fights. 3 is actually a pretty easy game, with the exception of 1 or 2 fights.

On the CS games I ended up playing on the highest difficulty and just toning it down occasionally for bs boss spikes. The games are brain dead easy compared to past Kiseki/Trails games.

What'd you think of Crossbell?

I guess it’s just rough early on with some bosses but as soon as I could have Fie / Rean with 50% base Evasion nothing really mattered anymore.

Loved Crossbell, Ao especially although I wish I had a better translation for it. Can’t help but feel like I’d appreciate the Cold Steel group more if there were half as many with the better characterization of the Crossbell group.

Bebpo

« Reply #34821 on: May 12, 2020, 02:39:43 AM »
Yeah, CS struggles a bit with the larger cast. They're still good, but the characterization is just more spread out since they have to keep splitting up the party which also hurts the group dynamic.

To be fair on Ao, I don't think the dialogue in these games are anything special, it's the story plotting/characters/events, so I'd imagine even with a rough translation it'd still convey the bulk of it. Yeah, I love how Ao's last 30+ hours ditch the episodic and is just like a 30 hour exciting paced rpg conclusion to it all. Lot of really cool events too in those final battles.

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #34822 on: May 12, 2020, 05:19:13 AM »
Raging Brachydios in Monster Hunter  :titus  :crazy This will not be managable with randoms. Nor alone. Not sure there's a point to even trying raging Rajang.

Furious Rajang is way easier imo.  It’s almost the same as the normal Rajang.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #34823 on: May 12, 2020, 09:10:21 AM »
Been playing Mario Odyssey on Yuzu

It runs surprisingly well, already got almost all of the moons in the sand kingdom and I moved onto the water kingdom but there is a weird visual glitch there :(
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34824 on: May 12, 2020, 09:18:59 AM »
What I should be playing: Final Fantasy VII Remake and Trials Of Mana

What I've been playing instead: Animal Crossing, Tetris, Samurai Shodown, and Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero.  Just finished the latter after realizing I never beat it and wanted to at least get the main game cleared before the sequel comes out in a few weeks.  Was really fun and I finished it with all the items/power-ups found in six hours total.  Nothing tedious, although there were some mildly difficult platforming/flying bits on the last level.  Only took 2-3 tries so not frustrating.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #34825 on: May 12, 2020, 01:17:28 PM »

It runs surprisingly well, already got almost all of the moons in the sand kingdom and I moved onto the water kingdom but there is a weird visual glitch there :(
Gonna try yuzu...  Mario Odyssey is the only game I care to play on the Smitch (that I can't play elsewhere.)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34826 on: May 12, 2020, 02:00:44 PM »

Gonna try yuzu...  Mario Odyssey is the only game I care to play on the Smitch (that I can't play elsewhere.)
Same, at least until they announce this supposed Mario 3D collection or whatever, then it'd be cool to have them all in one spot.
I was kind of curious about Astral Chain, but i know the double stick combat thing would get on my nerves immediately.

paprikastaude

« Reply #34827 on: May 13, 2020, 07:14:55 PM »
Put the Wii back into my gaming setup. Now it's finally time for Castlevania Rebirth, which I got before the Wii shop closed down. So far, pretty damn promising. These Konami Wii games aren't even rehashes. This game and Contra Rebirth, which I might as well just replay, offer tons of new elements.

Even for current Konami, it's just stupid af to leave these games in oblivion. They could even resell them as if they were new games, considering that absolutely no one took notice of WiiWare. Absolute shame.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 01:44:49 AM by Spieler1 »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #34828 on: May 13, 2020, 07:39:38 PM »
Diddy Kong Racing
The silver coin races aren't as bad as I remember them being. The boss fights are tough, but manageable.

And then comes Wizpig and demands the most precision of anything. Finally beat the fuck, only to find out that it's a false ending... :maf

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #34829 on: May 14, 2020, 01:07:19 AM »
Played and finished the first season Batman telltale game.

It was pretty good. I was surprised. I generally like the telltale stuff quite a bit but the Batman one never interested me because I figured they wouldn't be allowed to do anything interesting with the property. But it does a good job of playing with your expectations and subverting them. It plays like an interesting alternate universe vision of the property. With a few tweaks it could have been really great but it settles nicely into being a solid showing.

Apparently season 2 is free via xbox live next month so that is nice.

Finished up the second season of this.

Was surprisingly great. Even better than the first season. Emotionally comic book stuff will never be my favorite stuff but these two games are from a design and execution point, the high point imo of the tell tale stuff. I was amazed at how much this one actually branched and for once there were actual difference sequences built around some of your end game choices. Impressive.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #34830 on: May 14, 2020, 01:37:27 AM »
Almost biffed my controller playing Ace Combat 7 last night. One of the last "named Aces" was such a motherfucker to spawn and I kept screwing up.

Got the bastard after 3 hours :punch

Only 3 more dude to kill for the achievement, then I gotta beat the game on hard, then S rank all missions on ace (will take me a long time) and that should wrap up the 1k

BIONIC

« Reply #34831 on: May 14, 2020, 03:06:02 AM »
Started FF12 last night, and played for about 3.5 hours.

I don’t hate it, but it feels kinda dull so far.

The whole time I was playing it I couldn’t help but have the “What next? A license to make toast in my own damn toaster!” meme in the back of my head since the game is the literal personification of that  :rofl
Margs

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #34832 on: May 14, 2020, 09:13:24 AM »
Put the Wii back into my gaming setup. Now it's finally time for Castlevania Rebirth, which I got before the Wii shop closed down. So far, pretty damn promising. These Konami Wii games aren't even rehashes. This game and Contra Rebirth, which I might as well just replay, offer tons of new elements.

Even for current Konami, it's just stupid af to leave these games in oblivion. They could even resell them as if they were new games, considering that absolutely no one took notice of WiiWare. Absolute shame.

Yeah, it was oft-rumored that Konami would re-release the Rebirth series for the Switch, including making an all new Rebirth (Twinbee Rebirth? :O)... but that never came to be :(
I missed the boat on CV and Gradius Rebirth so it would be nice to get those in a place not locked to freakin WiiWare. How hard would it be to throw them all up on a Switch cart?
^_^

paprikastaude

« Reply #34833 on: May 14, 2020, 09:40:01 AM »
Wish Castlevania had a faux "password" save system. Shit gets a little too tough for a single sitting and there's infinite continues anyway.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 12:44:54 PM by Spieler1 »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #34834 on: May 14, 2020, 12:00:48 PM »

My boy Tiptup in front, like in 95% of the races. 8)

Wizpig 2 was MUCH easier than the first. The silver coin challenge in the last plane race was worse.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #34835 on: May 14, 2020, 12:18:41 PM »
Man why can't they just steal this for any Mario Kart. DKR is ahead of the curve even today
fat

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #34836 on: May 14, 2020, 12:26:14 PM »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #34837 on: May 14, 2020, 12:44:39 PM »
dkr sooooo good
What

paprikastaude

« Reply #34838 on: May 14, 2020, 12:46:25 PM »
Wizpig 1 literally unbeatable if you don't know that you can get better boosts from those powerpads if you hit A.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #34839 on: May 14, 2020, 01:18:33 PM »
Wizpig 1 literally unbeatable if you don't know that you can get better boosts from those powerpads if you hit A.
Taj very briefly pops up after one of the earlier races to tell you about it (as well as drifting, I think). Easily missed if you're mashing to get back to the overworld.
It's never mentioned again. You can't ask him about it directly, even though they could have included an option. Not even the manual lists it. :lol

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #34840 on: May 14, 2020, 01:56:12 PM »
He got repeatedly railed by a giant Walrus until I tagged in the crocodile to deal with it. Tiptup was never the same after that.

Svejk

« Reply #34841 on: May 14, 2020, 02:09:27 PM »
Banjo getting his centipede sammich on.

Pennywise

« Reply #34842 on: May 14, 2020, 02:41:10 PM »
Almost done with FF7 classic.

Gonna try out AI The Somnium Files next. I've always wanted to try it out, but it was rather annoying to get the physical version for a decent price over here.

Bebpo

« Reply #34843 on: May 14, 2020, 06:57:38 PM »
Been trying to find something motivating during this quarantine, so I thought maybe I'd try writing about games again. Thought maybe I could play random indie games for 30 mins or so to get a feel for them, do a little research and then write previews. Started with two today, idk if I'll stick with it. Writing is pretty rusty but I figure I need the practice doing something other than work and posting.

Richard & Alice

At a time when post-apocalyptic stories are increasingly relevant warnings of the current global pandemic climate, we look back at this 2013 point & click adventure game made by Owl Cave (Charnel House Trilogy, and whose creator Olivia White is heavily involved in the No Sleep horror podcast).

Richard & Alice tells a story in a world where an endless snowstorm has created a global disaster wiping out scores of humanity in the frozen wastelands. The player assumes the control of Richard, a father whose been locked in an unground prison cell that is part of a project for humanity’s survival. He has a TV which humorously enough likes to show nature sloth channels and anime visual novel adaptations, a bed, shower, and a computer to submit any complaints for anything that bothers him such a “hey guys, the shower water’s kind of cold”. For a time this has been Richard’s daily routine.

This all changes when the prison cell across from him, which had been under construction following a collapse, receives a new prisoner in the form of Alice. Quickly the two bond and through player controlled flashbacks Alice begins to tell her story of the current outside struggle and how she ended up in a cell across from Richard.

While the puzzles and the interface may leave a little to be desired, with a fairly basic look/interact command system and the sprites running on the Adventure Game Studio engine, they do have their simplistic charm in a Maniac Mansion way. But mostly it’s the writing in Alice & Richard which shines and makes the game stand above your average indie adventure game. From the get go the story, worldview and characters are engaging & intriguing. Part-thriller, part-horror tale, part-prison buddy adventure, Richard & Alice sinks the hooks in early on to invest the player into the story of Richard & Alice and where they may go.

As Owl Cave’s first commercial game, Richard & Alice solidifies the studio as great storytellers and sets up promise for the future titles. Like the game’s protagonists, a reminder that storytelling can bring hope into a grim world
[close]

Aegis Defenders

Within the first five minutes, it’s clear that developer GUTS department are unabashed fans of Miyazaki Hayao’s Nausicaa. The art style shares many similarities and the playable duo of Bart and Cluo are just outside copyright infringement levels of Miyazaki’s classic.  In this 2d side-scrolling puzzle platform tower defense game, the duo search through the ruins of a long fallen world for scrap as they fight shelled beasts.

However, Defenders is more than simply a Ghibli look-a-like. The gameplay, which has players switching between the two lead characters (or controlled separately in a two-player co-op mode) is a unique mashup of genres. For the first part of each level, players will guide Bart and Cluo through gorgeous forests and landscapes in a puzzle platformer, finding secrets and using their unique abilities to help each other progress to the goal similar to classics like Lost Vikings or, somewhat more recently, the Trine games.

Upon reaching the end of each level, the duo finds an ancient rune at which point the gameplay switches over from puzzle platformer to a side scrolling tower defense gameplay (hence the Defenders name). Here the defense segments are split into build phases, and wave phases. In the build phases, characters use their abilities that had previously for puzzles such as building bombs or turrets, to set up defenses to defend against the incoming waves of enemies trying to destroy the ruin. There is also an Ikaruga style color switching mechanic where the enemies come in different colors and Cluo & Bart are each strong against a specific color type. Together with crafted traps and playing and swapping characters to join in the attack, players attempt to get through increasingly difficult defense waves.

Surviving each stage takes players to a base camp hub where they can spend the currency discovered in the levels and won from the tower defense sections to upgrade their weapons or discover new recipes for craftable items. These downtime sections also allow the characters to chat around a campfire and sprinkle in world lore and character development.

The story in Aegis Defenders is presented through good looking comic cutscenes, and mid-stage dialogues between the Bart and Cluo. These interchanges even have small dialogue choices, where depending on the choice, bonus points are awarded. It’s doesn’t have a huge effect, but it does bring a bit of nice agency and likeability to the pair. The story itself tells a tale of great immortal beings who survived after the great fall of the world and now humanity has raised them up as gods, each god ruling a different region and having a different ruling style. It’s an interesting enough backstory to give narrative hook to the puzzle platformer tower defense hybrid.

Lastly, it would be hard to write about Aegis Defenders and not at least mention the sprites, as the spritework in the game is high quality work with charming animations and nice style such as a comic panel looking picture in picture view during the defense segments when the other character is out of view. Even if Aegis Defenders’ gameplay wasn’t unique & fun to play, Aegis Defenders would be worth a look for its visual presence alone, even in a medium where great looking platformers are almost a dime and dozen.

Overall, whether Aegis Defenders can keep the gameplay routine of exploring, defending and upgrading exciting for it’s ~10 hour game length*, will have to be seen. However, early on Aegis Defenders definitely shows a promising formula and even if you’re someone who rolls their eyes at the words “tower defense” (i.e. this writer), the platforming and puzzle sections are enjoyable enough to give this game a look.

*According to howlongtobeat.com
[close]

*fyi Aegis Defenders is free on humble games today.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #34844 on: May 14, 2020, 07:13:48 PM »
You should contribute to rom translations instead and be a contributing member of society
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #34845 on: May 14, 2020, 09:12:56 PM »
You should contribute to rom translations instead and be a contributing member of society

lol, thanks this cheered me up.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #34846 on: May 14, 2020, 09:14:54 PM »
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #34847 on: May 14, 2020, 09:19:14 PM »
Bitch I aint kidding here I'll link some easy ones that need a translator

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=29842.0

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=28699.0

Ehhhh, thanks for the links and honestly maybe I'll take a look at the scripts.

But just like the reason I didn't like reviewing games for a job was not getting to choose the projects, I don't know how much interest I'd have in working on some random games I've never heard of and have no interest in.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #34848 on: May 14, 2020, 09:23:02 PM »
Then don't pick the ones you aren't interested in, it's just a suggestion

Or you can keep writing about indie games I guess

A translation will be appreciated by many people - unless you use the t-slur then you will get cancelled on the spot like Tom did, so don't do that
fat

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #34849 on: May 15, 2020, 08:29:20 AM »
I picked up Battletech on sale and then saw that Mechwarrior 5 was added to gamepass so I guess mecha's on the menu this weekend.  :rejoice

Svejk

« Reply #34850 on: May 15, 2020, 06:26:45 PM »
Hope to get close to the end of FF7R this weekend... 

But the WIND IS PUSHING MEEEEEEEEEEE again...  Downloaded a shit ton of mods for Dragon's Dogma; 2K textures, tons of clothes mods, nude mods, lighting fx ENB, unlimited carrying capacity, Into Free intro music, etc...  Been feeling the hype for no reason other than it's still my favorite ARPG plain and simple.
Got the platty on PS3, now I'm hoping to working on getting all the Steam achievements.  Bitterblack Isle is beckoning... greatest fantasy dungeon in gaming history.

BIONIC

« Reply #34851 on: May 15, 2020, 06:45:23 PM »
Finished Trials of Mana in 34 hours. 4 of those were in the post-game content. The challenges for the fourth class were cool but the rest is just a recycled dungeon(s) filled with trash mobs that you slice through until the big bad. Nothing really notable.

Overall the game really fun, and I had a good time with it. They should’ve just axed the shitty post-game and integrated the unique parts but it’s no big deal either way.
Margs

Bebpo

« Reply #34852 on: May 16, 2020, 04:42:29 AM »
Tried Raiden V - ughhh. The reviews were bad for this one, but yeah this feels like an insult to Raiden. Really bland, visually bad, non-stop stupid talking shmup.

To wash that out played some Jamestown+ - I remember eight years ago being extremely impressed by Jamestown and it was basically the best western take on Cave shmups with great visuals, music, enemy/level design and a lot of replayability and unlocks. Then about 6 months ago out of nowhere a definitive edition popped up that added 2 new stages and like 8 new ships. Getting back into the game and got through the first of the two new stages and used a couple of the new ships, yup, Jamestown is still a darn good shmup, probably one of the best and some extra content is pretty nice though it's been so long it's not like I remember the original stages much anyhow. Scoring system is simple but really well designed and fun. The mechanics of the new ships I've unlocked have been really fun too. Will definitely play a bunch of hours on this and try out all the new content along with beating the original game stages again and unlocking all the ships.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #34853 on: May 16, 2020, 12:08:14 PM »
I had a hankering to play PSP but it looks like my PSP battery is starting to bulge and won't fit in its compartment anymore. So I ordered a new battery off of ebay. I've been spending more time using Gameye to categorize my collection than actually play anything, lately :P
^_^

Freyj

« Reply #34854 on: May 16, 2020, 12:16:16 PM »
Finished Cold Steel 1. My least favorite Kiseki so far, just behind FC, but I still enjoyed it a lot. Probably going to take a Kiseki break as I’ve played Zero Ao and CS1 since mid March.

Have read that CS2 is the missing final chapter for CS1 and that makes sense. I think you could’ve probably had one or two less field studies and squeezed it in in that case but we’ll see.
[close]

Without giving away spoilers does CS3/4 bring back the Persona 3/4/5 school schedule structure? I get why they did it but it’s far less engaging than the Bracer Guild / SSS.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #34855 on: May 16, 2020, 12:28:57 PM »
CS2 is so much better than CS1. CS1 is just the warmup. Just like Trails Sky 1 was

Havent played CS3 yet
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #34856 on: May 16, 2020, 12:48:21 PM »
Finished Cold Steel 1. My least favorite Kiseki so far, just behind FC, but I still enjoyed it a lot. Probably going to take a Kiseki break as I’ve played Zero Ao and CS1 since mid March.

Have read that CS2 is the missing final chapter for CS1 and that makes sense. I think you could’ve probably had one or two less field studies and squeezed it in in that case but we’ll see.
[close]

Without giving away spoilers does CS3/4 bring back the Persona 3/4/5 school schedule structure? I get why they did it but it’s far less engaging than the Bracer Guild / SSS.

CS3 does, but it's still the best game in the set.

But CS2/4 have their own structure repetition issues. Essentially CS1/CS3 are a normal Kiseki games chapters prior to the final chapter where they're episodic and CS2/CS4 are the final chapters stretched to 50-100 hour games. Which you think might be cool and work like Ao's 30 hour final chapter, and at times it does, but for the most part it just makes the "final chapter" segments boring. Still I like CS2.

For me CS3 > CS2 > CS1 > CS4

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #34857 on: May 16, 2020, 12:52:38 PM »
Yeah, CS2 is much better paced for the majority of the game, though there are points where it gets a bit nonlinear too (which is interesting for a normally pretty linear series)... the last quarter of the game feels really drawn out with super long and repetitive dungeons and constant boss rushes against high HP, powerful enemies. Unfortunately that quarter kinda soured me on CS2. 3 is probably my favorite in the CS series so far though, it goes back to the school structure of the first game, but there are less field studies (and each field study is longer and more thorough).
^_^

Svejk

« Reply #34858 on: May 16, 2020, 01:16:28 PM »
Tried Raiden V - ughhh. The reviews were bad for this one, but yeah this feels like an insult to Raiden. Really bland, visually bad, non-stop stupid talking shmup.
Glad you mentioned this.. I've had it in my wishlist for the longest time out of curiosity, but sounds like a good skip.  Now, if only DARIUSBURST Chronicle Saviours would drop in price some day...  ::)

Bebpo

« Reply #34859 on: May 16, 2020, 01:34:50 PM »
Yeah, CS2 is much better paced for the majority of the game, though there are points where it gets a bit nonlinear too (which is interesting for a normally pretty linear series)... the last quarter of the game feels really drawn out with super long and repetitive dungeons and constant boss rushes against high HP, powerful enemies. Unfortunately that quarter kinda soured me on CS2. 3 is probably my favorite in the CS series so far though, it goes back to the school structure of the first game, but there are less field studies (and each field study is longer and more thorough).

I'm very curious to see how everyone reacts to CS4.

Also before that CS5-ish game is out mid-summer in Japan so also curious to see how much it can repair CS overall.