Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3598555 times)

Bebpo

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #35040 on: May 30, 2020, 10:31:43 PM »
Actually, looking into the ini performance tweaks it looks like there's some potentially good stuff to make FF15 look a heck of a lot nicer on PC than it defaults to even maxed out. Gonna play around with the settings tonight. Good things there's still lots of sidequest stuff to do back in the first area so I can check out the better visuals there while doing them.

Oh one other small gripe I have with FFXV is their version of the world map random encounter where a ship drops a group of soldiers on you that are around your level here and there. My gripe is that when I'm doing a hunt that is tougher and the fight takes longer I'll often have like 2 waves of soldiers dumped down on me during the length of the fight which makes an already decently challenging hunt a lot more annoying when suddenly a bunch of soldiers appear and are shooting your team down suddenly while you're doing the hunt. I kinda wish the soldiers would leave you alone during hunts.

yeah stop doing all the quests and hunts in FFXV. almost all of them are boring and pointless, and they'll make the rest of the game boring because you'll be so overleveled. do cindy's to improve your car, maybe cid's if you want a better sword, but leave the other bullshit alone.

But the hunts are fun combat scenarios. FFXV's hunts remind me a lot of FFXII's hunts. FFXII also had a billion hunts to do and they were fun combat challenges.

Like doing hunts that are a few levels above my team is a pretty good challenge, especially using wait mode and trying to do it strategically. Best part of the combat so far.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35041 on: May 30, 2020, 10:35:55 PM »
i remember some of them being good, like cool flying enemies, but i thought a lot of them were stupid "kill 12 regular monsters gathered here" type bullshit. been a while since i played, so i might be remembering it wrong.
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #35042 on: May 30, 2020, 10:43:14 PM »
Yeah, but as long as you're doing ones that are higher level and not lower brain dead level, you get to challenge yourself against each type of enemy and figure out strategies like weakpoints and stuff. I'm finding it fun. I mean it's not like I'm fighting most of these monsters on the main story path and it's sorta MMO-like where these monsters are roaming around but there's no reason to fight them otherwise.

There's definitely bits about it that remind me of FFXIV.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35043 on: May 30, 2020, 11:20:16 PM »
It's a mix of both. Some generic shit and some unique monsters but those are more endgame (Adamantoise, Melusine, etc)
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #35044 on: May 31, 2020, 03:54:42 AM »
Man, I am totally surprised but FFXV is so cool. Like I get it's not for everyone and a lot of the stuff is shallow like most open world game activites/sidequests, but it's really fun doing all these quests and exploring and fighting all these hunts and exploring these little rest stops and listening to the conversations and talking to people (I like that every diner has a unique NPC). The first city is AMAZING, like it's a real bustling city with tons of people and animations and conversations. I love that there are all these shops you can stop and interact with even if they're just splitting the shop items between multiple shops. Just feels a lot more immersive. Lots of little quests and places to eat. Yeah, everything is fairly low poly to have a city like this in an open world design, but it reminds me a lot of Xenoblade 1/2 cities/towns and that's a good thing.

Like, ~13 hours in now and I'm enjoying this as much as a good mainline FF. All these years I felt like people were really down/negative on this game like it sucked like FFXIII (a lot of people were like FFXIII was better than FFXV), plus I was a Versus/Nomura-stan and thought Type-0 was kinda sucky so I didn't have a lot of faith in Tabata, but man this is so much better than the bore of 13. Even the fun 13-2 wasn't as fun as this. I'm enjoying this basically as much as the FFVII remake so far.

Bebpo

« Reply #35045 on: May 31, 2020, 03:58:23 AM »
Oh and with the 4k textures and the Special K mod to smooth out the game's performance + some tweaks on sharpening the TAA blurryness and AFx16...game looks and runs great!

Bebpo

« Reply #35046 on: May 31, 2020, 04:15:33 AM »
Also I like the chaos of some of the emergent encounters

Like when you have 2 different sets of hunts on top of each other and then a group of magitek soldiers drop down and there's a dozen enemies going everywhere so you just throw a magic and try to AoE and dodge shit.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #35047 on: May 31, 2020, 05:46:57 AM »
Anyone give Ghost Recon Breakpoint another try with the immersive mode and is it worth playing now?

Beezy

« Reply #35048 on: May 31, 2020, 12:17:09 PM »
Bebpo is making me wanna go back to FFXV. I beat the main game, but I think all the DLC is on gamepass right now.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35049 on: May 31, 2020, 12:32:16 PM »
Anyone give Ghost Recon Breakpoint another try with the immersive mode and is it worth playing now?
I did, with the 6 hours trial.
I had only played the various betas with the old version though.

It plays much better without loot shit, and the completely customizable difficulty/survival aspects is something i really like, that hopefully they'll consider in other Ubisoft games.
That said, there are still some fundamental problems in my opinion, that still don't make it as fun as even Wildlands.
The map is still dull, the drones are still omnipresent and annoying bullet sponges, and the movement is still less reliable over all.
The problems with ballistics and all those kinks, still persist, as far as i can tell (played too little to tell for certain, tbh).

It's a much better experience than launch, but still not as fun as Wildlands was, and i don't think that's something they can just "patch in".
Couldn't play it in coop however, which to be fair is how i played 90% of wildlands, so a bit hard to compare.
To me a kind of shitty tac shooter is still worth playing though, so i'll think about getting it in a year or two, when it's like 5€ (if they don't shut the servers down before then).

Svejk

« Reply #35050 on: May 31, 2020, 04:54:01 PM »
After a long break from being stuck, I decided to jump back into Ace Combat 7 and try to get past Mission 11... Absolutely annihilated it.  Reached the mission score with over 7 minutes to spare.  8) The key was using the right bomb... That one that has the ring display on the ground when aiming?  Totally wrecks shit.  I feel like I can finally jump back into this game.

Bebpo

« Reply #35051 on: May 31, 2020, 04:58:03 PM »
I'm thinking about rewatching Kingsglaive. I watched in theaters in 2016 when it played for a week like 6 months before FFXV came out. I vaguely remember bits of it (basically what was shown in the recap in the game) and that was...ok. But maybe I'd get more out of the world building/lore for the game if I re-watch it now. I read to watch the anime Brotherhood after ch.7, so will do that and will play the DLCs. Dunno if I'll read the novel thing that the final DLC turned into.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35052 on: May 31, 2020, 05:05:42 PM »
I think the approach to have all  this "lore" in separate media didn't work out well.

I'm not really sure what Kingsglaive really offers to help "understand" the game - but more just introduce you to lore and the world of FFXV. Nobody bothers to read the in-game lore nuggets why would they care to go watchin animes, movies, and read books (unironically)?
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #35053 on: May 31, 2020, 05:44:03 PM »
Been going in hard in on a Super Paper Mario replay recently. I wanted to give this another chance, because this series seems to be like Sticker Star forever now. Thanks to that current situation, I definitely think of Super more highly than before. Back then it seemed too wack, but these days it just feels good to play a Mario adventure game with unique characters and setpieces that aren't just Toads, Koopas, forest- and lava level variants. Including a story and lore that takes itself seriously beyond all the gags and metajokes. Still, a few parts I still think are too wack. That caveman chapters is like a collection of the ugliest designs ever created by Nintendo. Still way better than more trite New Mario Bros.-inspired worlds though, no question about it.

Gameplay though still is mixed. Some padding moments are still as bad as I remember. A few positives about exploration I forgot, but also some negatives like the floaty controls. Overall, this is like TTYD lite, despite no RPG combat.

God, one of the final chapters is nothing but to track back and forth a vertical stage with no gameplay purpose. I was prepared for some of the other padding that I still remembered, but blocked out shit like this. This is why the game was hated back then. But then it goes back to the story and it's like, "This is what real Paper Mario needs to be like :tocry". Forgot all about the smaller plot twists too.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 05:53:17 PM by Spieler1 »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #35054 on: May 31, 2020, 05:44:26 PM »
I'm not really sure what Kingsglaive really offers to help "understand" the game
I didn't watch it before I played, which made the way the news is broken to Noct come off like a hilarious subversion of the burning village trope.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #35055 on: May 31, 2020, 06:07:27 PM »
Beb's: Does the Special K mod fix the pagefile/memory leak issue that the game has? It keeps crashing within like an hour or so of straight playing. :doge

Bebpo

« Reply #35056 on: May 31, 2020, 07:47:45 PM »

Man, just did the Titan section in FFXV and that was some awesome God of War stuff. Honestly it was more God of War epic scale fight than anything in GoW2018. The part mid-battle where all the empire missile dudes start launching onto it while you're fighting was pretty damn cool.

Beb's: Does the Special K mod fix the pagefile/memory leak issue that the game has? It keeps crashing within like an hour or so of straight playing. :doge

I think so. Turn Steam overlay off. I was having hitching everytime it wanted to stream in some new objects and had a couple crashes until I turned off the steam overlay and special k mod smoothed it out. Also using nvidia sharpening at about .05 strength to fix the TAA bluriness and forcing AFx16 there too since the game only supports up to AFx8 normally.

Bebpo

« Reply #35057 on: May 31, 2020, 07:51:00 PM »
Also, on kind of a random note with FFXV, the English translation/localization was so bad I finally gave up and changed the subtitles to Japanese to go along with the Japanese audio because the English subtitle script was just so different and even out of character for what the characters were saying in Japanese.

FFVIIr was a great translation and FFXIV's had really good translations/localization, so I'm fine playing those with JP audio and ENG subtitles since even though they're not literal, they get the jist of the Japanese dialogue and they're well written. But it's pretty clear whoever did the FFXV localization is a different group than those because it just seems...kinda shitty. Until this point in the game there was so little story I didn't really care, but now that there's a plot I switched the subs over.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35058 on: May 31, 2020, 07:52:55 PM »
Thats weird because even near the end of the game there's no plot
fat

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #35059 on: May 31, 2020, 09:08:20 PM »
Ace Combat 7: All stages cleared with an S-rank with expert controls on Ace difficulty :punch

Now I 'just' have to grind out 40,000,000 MRP which isnt too bad but the real kicker is 76,000km flown in campaign. Like, I've cleared all stages on all 4 difficulties and I'm halfway there. Theres still more medals and unlockables to aim for so guess I'm still playing. I'm still not bored of the game! It's just so much fun and you can always get a little better at it. Might take a break and focus on some other games for awhile though

Bebpo

« Reply #35060 on: June 01, 2020, 03:26:24 AM »

FFXV - Got to ch.6, ~20 hours in now. Now that car is back I'm back to sidequesting before moving on to the next area. Still having a lot of fun. Saw my first summon at the car base fight with Ramuh. Framerate died but makes sense since it instantly zooms out the whole detailed map and then nukes it which was pretty awesome. Do summons only happen during certain boss fights (like FFVIIr)? And is it random which summon appears?

Also plot-wise I thought it was pretty funny that they decide to infiltrate an entire enemy base to get their car back. Like that's the only motivation and they could have just like...got another car  :lol

Oh and the phantom weapons super mode seems pretty whatever? Maybe when you have more it's more damaging, but right now it's just a few seconds of high burst damage and then your meter is gone. Doesn't seem particularly useful.

Bebpo

« Reply #35061 on: June 01, 2020, 06:06:58 AM »
40 sidequests down! (probably about the same in hunts).

So like, I enjoy fishing in videogames and it's kinda relaxing to chill and catch different fish, but I find it sorta annoying here in that there's like 2 dozen lures and without looking at a guide you when you're at a new fishing spot and don't know the types of fish you can catch there, you either have to spend way too much time trying one lure at a time and recasting until you get the right one or you don't bother. I've mostly been not bothering, but a couple times I ran through all my lures until I caught the unique bigger dots. Also I don't like how stuff like stronger lines are locked behind fishing levels which require a ton of fish to advance. Basically makes me feel like the spot I'm at, not only do I need to find the right lure, but I might be underleveled in fishing skills to catch the fish.

I'm still early enough in the game that I don't want to start looking at wikis and spoil stuff overall, but as I get closer to the end I'll probably look up a fishing guide for what lure I need for each spot. It's too bad because it should've been like RDR2 which got it right with you basically have river, lake, sea lures and then unique versions of the 3 lures for legendaries, so if you run across a lake you know if you use the lake lure you can catch whatever is there for the most part (FFXV and RDR2 both use time/weather for a few).

Also I wanna say the most loldumb filler side activity on the map has to be helping people whose cars have broken down on the road. Noctis the good samaritan. Not even a mechanic, just a guy carrying around a bunch of repair kits (that you can buy in your car) and then you go up to them and press X and get 300xp and 900gil and I think it counts on your sidequest completed list. At least the injured people who you use a potion on (which is dumb too) has the added gameplay of trying to find the people. I guess the car breakdowns are like that too but it's like you see a car and then stop and it's probably one of these.

Anyhow, this game is really killing my sleep. One of the most addictive games I've played in a while. If I was younger and could pull all-nighters I'd just play this for hours into the night straight.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 06:12:09 AM by Bebpo »

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #35062 on: June 01, 2020, 11:52:12 PM »
You might have sold me on FFXV. Game looks totally weird but I was one of those freaks that enjoyed FFXIII so hey. It's on Gamepass so what have I got lose except for my COMPLETION RATIO ON TRUEACHIEVEMENTS DOT COM

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35063 on: June 01, 2020, 11:57:11 PM »
You'll never catch up to me, just enjoy the game
fat

thisismyusername

« Reply #35064 on: June 02, 2020, 12:22:21 AM »
Also I wanna say the most loldumb filler side activity on the map has to be helping people whose cars have broken down on the road. Noctis the good samaritan. Not even a mechanic, just a guy carrying around a bunch of repair kits (that you can buy in your car) and then you go up to them and press X and get 300xp and 900gil and I think it counts on your sidequest completed list.

It does. I got one of the "Spin a Yarn"/sidequest (10, 20, 40, 80?) achievements just giving a repair-kit to someone on the side of the road.

I'm not as far as you. I've been doing hunts and am like level 15 with 11 hours and just finished Chapter 2 according to the achievement that unlocks here.

It's not bad, but playing Pocket Edition's free episode (that ends during the invasion scene) it's really funny how many filler quests the main-game has that PE sort of chops off to focus on the main plot.

You might have sold me on FFXV. Game looks totally weird but I was one of those freaks that enjoyed FFXIII so hey. It's on Gamepass so what have I got lose except for my COMPLETION RATIO ON TRUEACHIEVEMENTS DOT COM

It's not terrible but it's clear like MGS6: The Phantom Pain/Ground Zeroes that it's extremely rushed to get a product that was in development hell (in this one's case) out the door. The invasion scene in Pocket Edition doesn't have the King's scenes, for instance and the main games is really jarring. Because they have him attacking the other kingdom [granted, after being attacked himself] and it's like "but why? Why are they invading after a peace-talk was made in the introduction?] and apparently one of the anime or movie or whatever explains that.

Steam Comrads is dead. Which is a shame as I wanted to try that in multiplayer, but I've been doing like a quest or two of that and then going around doing hunts to level up before pushing the main-quest because as a FF12 whore, I'm all about the hunts.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35065 on: June 02, 2020, 12:28:45 AM »
ffxv at least had the benefit of an additional year of development after release. there is a TON of additions when comparing the royal edition to the day one release. the game is still a janky mess, but the extra stuff helped out a lot.

also comrades was dead the day it was released. the most useless matchmaking i've ever seen in a game. still a decently good time in single player.
pcp

thisismyusername

« Reply #35066 on: June 02, 2020, 12:36:27 AM »
Also I'll disagree on the combat being good. It's pretty brain-dead, in my opinion. I haven't really broken anything and just spam the big-ass sword that Smart-Bara (HE READS A BOOK!) and you get against most enemies to quickly down them. The Chapter 2 boss was the first "holy shit" because it took forever and had high-damage, but barring that and a like 1-2 high level (20+ level apparently) enemies, I haven't really had a problem with enemies within 3-5 levels above you doing that.

I don't even know the point of Iggy's "DIRECTIONS!" ability or the cool young dude's Snapshot/gun ability. I just use the muscle-hunks and then warp in with the O/B button prompt to do damage. :lol :lol :lol

Also the fishing mode sucks. I probably won't level Noctis' abilities on that because I absolutely LOATHE fishing in most games and this ones "oh you have to attract the fish and then slam on your stick and not try to reel it in to avoid breaking shit and it might hop out of the water so QTE TIME BITCH then go back to reeling/waggling your stick" is so stupid/spastic that it isn't fun (IMO).

At least the other three's abilities auto-level on their own. I wish Noctis' would, but I might just Cheat Engine that shit to avoid the fishing if there's some useful ability there that I need.

Edit: Also the Framerate absolutely TANKED during the final scene of Chapter 2 and I have no fucking clue why. :lol Really annoying slide-show and then the frame-rate was totally ok right after. :rofl

Bebpo

« Reply #35067 on: June 02, 2020, 06:11:50 PM »
FFXV - So the balance in this game is weird. They kinda went too open I think. I was doing a sidequest to kill a giant frog which led me to a forest dungeon where I picked up a weapon from a chest that was obviously way further into the story and a lot stronger, then after killing the giant frog the dungeon path went on further so I kept walking and came to a lvl.38 bandersnatch boss. I wasn't sure if I could take him but I tried and was able to beat him and then it's like here is another royal arm and I was like wtf, I thought that was part of the storyline.

So either some of the royal arm tombs are optional, or you can really sequence break this game BoTW style.

Also I was reading up on overleveling and balance and saw recommendations to use the ring that keeps you from leveling up. I hadn't used it because I thought it just meant you got 0xp from everything and was worried I'd end up underleveled for post-game but I read it still keeps your xp and just doesn't spend it. Which is even better because you can amass a huge amount and then spend it at a place that gives you like 2x-3x return on your xp.

Also read that levels don't even matter that much in the game and enemies way under your level can still give you trouble and vice versa because equipment and AP skills are more important for fights. So I'm just eating basic toast at camp now.

My party is lvl.35 and I read the final boss is only lvl.45, so I'm gonna just stick at 35 until either the endgame where I'll unlock it and jump 20 levels or after I beat the main story for post-game. This way I'm still doing all the sidequests and stuff now but not getting any more leveled up than lvl.35 though I am getting some higher level gear like I just got along the way.

I feel like when the fights are somewhere around your level and you are totally OP, the combat is a lot of fun. I like the boss fights where I have to mess with gear accessories and weapon equips and skills on everywhere and defend and dodge a lot and just get blindspot link strikes in and use link attacks and magic on cooldown while defending/dodging. It's the stuff where you just blow through it OP that gets a little repetitive/boring.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #35068 on: June 02, 2020, 07:08:34 PM »
It's impossible to die, so just have fun.
©@©™

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35069 on: June 02, 2020, 07:14:21 PM »
a level 1 run is viable so it's better to stay at a low level and boost with food if you want any sort of challenge
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #35070 on: June 02, 2020, 07:27:55 PM »
It's impossible to die, so just have fun.

I game over'd and lost 30 mins of playtime on the lvl.34 coeurl x 5 fight because they auto-kill you when you attack when they're crouched :(

I even went back and used food boost for magic defense+++ and equipped thunder resist and then I saved and did it and got destroyed pretty quick again but summon popped and one shotted the whole hunt.

Only time I ever died though. I get in danger a decent amount though but I just pop potions. I wasn't carrying any phoenix downs when I died above which is why it game over'd.

Bebpo

« Reply #35071 on: June 02, 2020, 07:29:59 PM »
a level 1 run is viable so it's better to stay at a low level and boost with food if you want any sort of challenge

Yeah I'll probably try to finish the rest of the sidequests and main game at lvl.35. If I get stuck and can't beat it I'll level up but I'll gain so many levels at once that it'll OP me for sure at that point.

Bebpo

« Reply #35072 on: June 02, 2020, 10:37:04 PM »
I did the hunt against the giant walking monsters in the wetlands for the meat sidequest for Takka. Lvl.38 and it killed all my party members and I just tried doing the fight 1 on 1 without items. Basically kept moving and luring out the head breath & smash and warped behind the legs and did damage while dodging the foot smashes. Was really intense and satisfying like a DMC fight.

But then beat it and...didn't get the drop which I looked up and is 50% drop chance, so I have to do it again and again to finish this quest? Uhhhhh, no thnx. I'm not down for drop chance sidequests on big longer fight enemies (small enemy grinding whatever). Have a feeling this is going to be the start of avoiding a lot of sidequests.

Bebpo

« Reply #35073 on: June 03, 2020, 12:45:37 AM »
Found out there's a food that doubles drop rates, so 50%->100% and decided to get that before doing anymore sidequests...only to find out that where I'm at in the story all the NPCs have mysteriously just vanished from Lestallum and apparently won't be back until ch.15. So just going to do the rest of the main story I guess and then see if I'm still interested in sidequests & hunting after. Got the vesperpool lake dungeon in ch.7.

At this point, having seen most of the map, and kinda of spoiled a bit on wikis (haven't read any story spoilers, just gameplay/progression stuff like half the dungeons being optional along with half the royal arms), I can see most of the flaws of FFXV already. I still think it's a lot of fun and there's a great game in there but it's missing the connective structure of linking all the content (which was probably mostly leftover content assets from Versus) to make the great game out of it. It feels like it needed another 6-12 months to expand the main campaign to cover all these dungeons and include more of the hunt enemies and stuff in the main story progression as well as needing a lot of small UI tweaks still and better balancing. Also the soundtrack seems incredibly small for an FF game and like 70% of the game time is in the car with no music outside your stereo.

At this point FFXV reminds me a lot of a less polished FFXII, or maybe a game that's entirely the 2nd half of FFXII. Because the weird missing rushed stuff is exactly what the back half or 1/3rd of FFXII feels like because of its development issues. The hunt system is also really similar and other parts of the game have some similarities too. Lestallum reminds me of an FFXII city more than other FF games.

I guess you can say the back of half of FFXII and FFXV are also kinda like FFVI's World of Ruin in the somewhat non-linear nature and lack of cohesion.

Still enjoyable though, just like those games were. Guessing if I stick to the main story I'll finish it up real fast since I'm one-shotting most enemies and can just run through stuff.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35074 on: June 03, 2020, 05:17:15 AM »
the thing with the music is that they produced a ton of it for the dlcs, like over 10 hours of it. they brought in loads of great composers for it too. main game has some good stuff and a fair number of forgettable tracks, but the rest of the game has some real nice eargasm shit.
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #35075 on: June 03, 2020, 01:23:57 PM »
You mean like the optional content?

Yeah, I feel like music-wise the only tracks I'm hearing during this game are:

-Main waltz overworld theme. Great track, but when all you hear is this over and over + your car music for 95% of the time...
-Main battle music
-Big scary enemy awesome battle music
-Dungeon theme (do all the dungeons just use one track?)
-Rest stop music
-Lestallum music
-A couple of cutscene tracks

And that's about all I hear on repeat in the game so far. Feels like could use a lot more variety, like different overworld themes for each chunk of the map, different dungeon themes (maybe there are different ones but they just sound similar in the dungeons so far), more unique themes for bigger rest stops, etc...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 01:50:11 PM by Bebpo »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35076 on: June 03, 2020, 01:33:43 PM »
yeah, like the Episodes and Comrades
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35077 on: June 03, 2020, 01:40:50 PM »
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #35078 on: June 03, 2020, 01:48:57 PM »

So I did the ch.7 dungeon and it was great.

I really enjoy the combat in this game. It's not as deep, strategic, or smart as FFVIIr's combat, but I'm finding it just as fun, if not more. FFXV's combat is more just a good action game of dodging shit and countering and using a variety of weapons, FFVIIr's more a strategic half-way between action & turn-based. Going forward I'd prefer more jrpgs with combat like FFVIIr but there's room for good action systems like FFXV too.

And because I like the combat a lot, I like the dungeons a lot too. Give me a twisting branching dungeon with character banter talking about the place and lots of moderately challenging enemy encounters that keep me on my toes and cause me to burn through my items (the daemons that attack max HP are great because the danger system is too much of a crutch) and a cool big boss and I'll have a blast. So even though a lot of the dungeons are optional I'm looking forward to going through them all.

Level capping with no food benefits at lvl.35 is definitely helping too. Levels don't really matter that much outside about a 10-20 level difference. So the lvl.28-32 enemies and boss were still wrecking me at lvl.35 and it was exciting.

One thing I still don't get is real death mechanics in this game. Like I get the reason I instant went to death on the Coeurl's is because if you hit them while they're crouched they have an instant death counter that skips the danger transition and gives you a game over unless you use a phoenix down. But on Quetzalcoatl boss of ch.7, I had like 75% HP and got hit by some major lightning shot and I went straight to death when it hit me, skipping the danger phase, and would've game over'd if I didn't use a phoenix down. But I googled that boss's movelist/stats and I don't see anything that says it has an instant death attack so idk what happened? A lot of the mechanics in this game are very underexplained and confusing.

I also started watching the Brotherhood anime and it actually helped a lot. I only watched the first 3eps so far, but 30 hours into the game I didn't know anything about any of the main four. I didn't really care and was not invested in any of them, though I didn't dislike them either. They were just action game characters on a journey and Noctis was mostly a Persona 3/4/5 style player-avatar with no personality (but I also get that his dad just died and almost everyone he knew just died and his kingdom and home were lost, so him being just a guy in depression/shock the whole time sorta makes sense).

Anyhow, actually getting backstory on each of the team members was great. Just from a 10 min anime ep, now the characters have more to them and I'm actually interested in them as characters. Will finish the last 2 eps of Brotherhood tonight.

Then going to play Episode Gladious before doing the ch.8 dungeon since it takes place while Gladious was gone in ch.7. Will be interesting to see the approach for these DLC episodes.

I found this guide for the way to get a lot of the side story stuff and when to do it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXV/comments/b73rcl/final_fantasy_xv_royal_edition_a_complete_story/

Only skimmed up through where I'm at but it seems like I've missed a few camp character development scenes. Which is weird because I think I've camped every camp spot. I've only seen one cutscene/tour for each party member. It seems like the camp cutscenes are chapter specific which is kinda dumb.

Anyhow still liking the game. Looking forward to the rest of the story content and all the optional dungeons and big hunts. I agree at this point that all the small hunts (of which there are too, too many) are repetitive and zzz, but the tougher bigger hunts are pretty exciting and fun to do, especially at lower levels.

yeah, like the Episodes and Comrades

Should I...try playing an hour or so of Comrades in single player when I get to the end?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35079 on: June 03, 2020, 01:51:52 PM »

blessed mitsuda
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35080 on: June 03, 2020, 01:59:04 PM »
i wouldn't try Comrades at least til you're at the final dungeon of the single player game, but it's worth checking out if you're enjoying the combat. comrades gameplay is basically the same as noctis' but with tighter controls, real spells, and a crafting system that allows for different builds. a lot of the fights are more challenging versions of the bosses from single player too. it could have been a lot lot better but it's decent fun for fucking around.
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #35081 on: June 03, 2020, 02:00:36 PM »
Does comrades work SP since MP is dead?

blessed mitsuda

:0 I didn’t realize Mitsuda did any tracks for it.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35082 on: June 03, 2020, 02:06:50 PM »
yeah it's all single player. the matchmaking was pure trash so multiplayer was almost impossible since day one.

the soundtrack brought on mitsuda, the nier composer, the ffxi composer, uematsu, even some dude that composed a bunch of anime. it's pretty sweet
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #35083 on: June 03, 2020, 02:23:55 PM »
I tried out Blazing Chrome, a CONTRA x Metal Slug inspired 16 bit shoot em up, but I suck at those games and it is pretty unforgiving so after about 15 continues to get through the 2nd stage I called it quits.

:'(

Yeah, I mean if you find Contra frustrating, this isn't going to be any better. I really liked Blazing Chrome, it's a complete ripoff almost to a clone level of Contra, but I love Contra, so I enjoyed it a good amount.

Bebpo

« Reply #35084 on: June 03, 2020, 05:40:40 PM »
It seemed cool, definitely nailed the look and aesthetic and felt good to play, I just am not good at those games and am too old to put in the time to git gud

Yeah, totally fair. There are genre/games I'm like that too.

And Contra and its genre is straight up trial & error. Just die and learn, die and learn. Generally I don't like trial & error gaming, but I can enjoy it in Contra if I'm in the mood.

I still need to load up the Genesis Mini and beat Contra Hardcorps...

BisMarckie

« Reply #35085 on: June 03, 2020, 05:52:57 PM »
Yeah, I could never really get into Contra. I rented Hard Corps on the Genesis/Mega Drive back in the day and couldn’t finish it. :stahp

I think I only beat the first Contra with the Konami code.

Classic Castlevania is the sweet spot between trial&error and skill for me.

Bebpo

« Reply #35086 on: June 03, 2020, 06:27:07 PM »
Yeah, CV is generally a lot slower paced so you can see what's coming and react. The medusa head knock backs are the only thing close imo and that's only if they're not random and you can repeat their patterns and adjust.

Contra is like "whoops, you were in the wrong spot when the screen moved forward and a boss jump into you instantly killing you. Try again"

I don't think Contra ever clicked with me (I liked the original and Super Contra casually) until Shattered Soldier on PS2 where I took the time to learn everything to try to 1CC kinda run levels/bosses. It's pretty satisfying when you learn the levels/bosses well enough you can basically 1CC through a tough stage.

paprikastaude

« Reply #35087 on: June 03, 2020, 06:36:57 PM »
Contra 1 NES is fair. Hardcorps is just dumb hard.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35088 on: June 03, 2020, 07:54:40 PM »
hard corps had the difficulty fucked up in localization. the original had a health bar.
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #35089 on: June 03, 2020, 08:14:00 PM »
Finished watching FFXV Brotherhood and read the short story that takes place right before Kingsglaive/game opening. Also watched The Dawn & The Omen trailers (why weren't these in the game?). Actually added a lot and now I'm way more interested in the story/world/characters than I was just playing the game. Think I'll re-watch Kingsglaive tonight before getting back to the game.

Bebpo

« Reply #35090 on: June 03, 2020, 11:52:01 PM »
Kingsglaive was actually pretty helpful since I'd forgotten the whole thing other than the ending. Ok, time to boot up Episode Gladious now and then get back to the main game.

Also as a movie re-watching it, the first half is pretty solid, but the action drags once the empire starts attacking and it takes 30-40 mins of action. I mean it's still no Advent Children, but not every CG movie can be ;)

Bebpo

« Reply #35091 on: June 04, 2020, 02:04:34 AM »
Well the DLC episodes definitely are way more polished. Graphics seemed a little better, cutscene direction better, and the combat and combat interface were a lot better. I liked Gladious's parry system even if the timing was kinda off peculiar on some of those attacks. Also idk if it's because I beat the DLC episode or if it's just part of the main story when Gladious rejoins in ch.8 but now he has the gameplay systems of the rage attacks from the DLC episode in the main game. It's fun playing as him now in battle.

I like the idea that parry counters on bosses should be like Kingdom Hearts cool unique scripted quick scenes.

Also I like how the first part of Episode Gladius looks like a Souls level and you're fighting armor ghost knights parrying and countering them.

^^
one ugly ass moogle

Btw, Cor seems kind of weird in FFXV. He feels like a character that is supposed to be from Brotherhood or Kingsglaive or some prior content that we are familiar with Cor so when he shows up it's a big deal. But he hasn't been in any of the side material stuff so it just comes off as odd.

I also don't get why the power plant astronaut dress up was all for a couple minute mini-game where you beat it up a few enemies with a timer and then that's it. I thought it was going to be a full power plant dungeon.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #35092 on: June 04, 2020, 06:14:24 AM »
do they explain who the fuck jared is in the updated version? :lol :lol :lol
(ice)

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #35093 on: June 04, 2020, 10:38:15 AM »
do they explain who the fuck jared is in the updated version? :lol :lol :lol

:jared
©@©™

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #35094 on: June 04, 2020, 02:46:47 PM »
hard corps had the difficulty fucked up in localization. the original had a health bar.

Yup, get a ROM hack of the Japanese version translated into English and it's a whole different game.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35095 on: June 04, 2020, 03:33:13 PM »

Yup, get a ROM hack of the Japanese version translated into English and it's a whole different game.

The Contra Anniversary Collection comes with the Japanese version of Hard Corps.
dog

paprikastaude

« Reply #35096 on: June 04, 2020, 03:33:47 PM »
Megadrive Mini too. Haven't played it yet though.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #35097 on: June 04, 2020, 06:31:28 PM »
Hard Corp gave us

spoiler (click to show/hide)
He marries a monkey.  :kermit
[close]
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #35098 on: June 04, 2020, 08:29:47 PM »
I have to say that I find FFXV a somewhat/slightly frustrating game on my "need to do everything" gaming OCD. I never know what I should do next, my sidequests are all over the place level-wise. I'll do some lvl.12 quest and then get a quest that's lvl.99 and try it at lvl.35 and can't make a dent. (apparently the lvl.99 boss was added in a patch post-game, then why not hold the quest until post-game? Why unlock it in Ch.8 when you're in lvl.30-40s?). I'll get a fishing quest and have no idea if my fishing level/gear is high enough that I'm supposed to be able to complete it because my line breaks midway. I can do never ending hunts, or do the main story, but the main story seems like it's about 5 hours long total since every chapter is basically "warp/drive/walk to the next location point, watch a cutscene or do a dungeon -> chapter over" so I try to do a lot of stuff between main story quests.

And sometimes the auto drive is willing to fast travel to a spot and other times it won't and wants to drive 5 mins there? I thought maybe you could only fast travel to the outpost locations and the P parking spots are just auto-drive spots to sit and drive to. But then I fast traveled to one on a hunt so it just seems random.

I'm definitely making some progress as I clear a few quests/hunts each session, but it definitely has that issue of not feeling like making a lot of progress sometimes.

The overall map icon side stuff setup feels like it was designed by a schizophrenic person.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 08:34:14 PM by Bebpo »

paprikastaude

« Reply #35099 on: June 04, 2020, 09:57:47 PM »
Doom Eternal -  :lol Not gonna get a Bethesda account, so I'm keeping this offline. So what are they doing? First minute of gameplay has a beeping "YOU'RE NOT ONLINE" banner. Returns after every death or bigger checkpoint, including a 5 second connection test. Not giving in though, fuck you.