Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3559687 times)

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #35100 on: June 04, 2020, 11:12:56 PM »
resident evil dead aim - man this game fucking blows. it's the last of capcom's cruddy Gun Survivor series and it's not hard to see why the series didn't last. it's not the worst thing in the world, but it's a three hour campaign of super simplified run-around-and-get-the-key bullshit with third person exploration and cruddy first person light gun shooting. dodging and repositioning is annoying as hell with the way the camera shifts and trying to move around all the slow tanky bosses just sucks. to top it off the game is ugly and bland looking and the story might as well not exist. the combo of exploring and shooting might have been cool with a good team behind it, but just like the original RE:Survivor this game is slight and forgettable.
pcp

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35101 on: June 04, 2020, 11:15:25 PM »
Was playing a bunch of River City Ransom but then my RGB modded NES shat the bed. The guy who did the RGB mod for me was a bit shady so god knows... I ordered another RGB modded NES off Etsy from a seemingly much more reputable source. Anyways yeah I grinded a bunch in RCR and beat the boss in the warehouse.

Also was playing Golvellius, I just beat the boss of the graveyard area and am off to the forest/swamp area now. Fun game though one thing I don't understand is - in boss battles you have 8-way movement, but in the regular overworld, it's only 4 way and the controls are STIFF (not to mention the shitty Master System d-pad aggravates matters). It's a cool game, it's like Zelda though a good deal more linear, with side scrolling and auto-scrolling overhead areas to break things up. Excited to play more...
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #35102 on: June 04, 2020, 11:25:09 PM »
resident evil dead aim - man this game fucking blows. it's the last of capcom's cruddy Gun Survivor series and it's not hard to see why the series didn't last. it's not the worst thing in the world, but it's a three hour campaign of super simplified run-around-and-get-the-key bullshit with third person exploration and cruddy first person light gun shooting. dodging and repositioning is annoying as hell with the way the camera shifts and trying to move around all the slow tanky bosses just sucks. to top it off the game is ugly and bland looking and the story might as well not exist. the combo of exploring and shooting might have been cool with a good team behind it, but just like the original RE:Survivor this game is slight and forgettable.

hahaha, yes this game is so bad

Bebpo

« Reply #35103 on: June 04, 2020, 11:26:31 PM »

Spent like 90 mins mastering FFXV fishing. In a better mood about the game now. Heading to Rock of Ravanaugh meteor place for the optional dungeon and to pick up a sidequest next.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35104 on: June 04, 2020, 11:35:32 PM »

i don't think i can even beat the last boss because it's basically a dps check and i don't have enough ammo for the good guns. fuck it; not every game in my backlog is worth clearing.
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #35105 on: June 04, 2020, 11:59:34 PM »

not every game in my backlog is worth clearing.

Yup

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #35106 on: June 05, 2020, 12:14:59 AM »
hard corps had the difficulty fucked up in localization. the original had a health bar.

Yup, get a ROM hack of the Japanese version translated into English and it's a whole different game.

The Contra Anniversary Collection comes with the Japanese version of Hard Corps.

Yeah, but it's not in English. :doge I mean if you care about the scenes ( :doge :doge :doge ) that's a deal-breaker, but otherwise it's basically the same thing.

What's hilarious about the European version is that it censors the boss of the Hard Corps "Don't screw this one up" as "Don't mess this one up." Clearly Europe can't have cursing. :doge

BisMarckie

« Reply #35107 on: June 05, 2020, 12:55:39 AM »
I vastly preferred being able to see boobs on network TV at any time of the day vs. cussing in vidya as a 12 year old. :pimp

Bebpo

« Reply #35108 on: June 05, 2020, 03:41:33 AM »
FFXV

Messing around with the mods. Some good outfits in there and the mod weapons are fun and surprisingly not OP. Got Buster Sword as a heavy blade and Tidus's weapon as a sword and the Hyrule shield.

Also food is busted as fuck. Before doing the Ravatoh optional dungeon I ate at the cafe and +400 ATK and +4,000 HP is  :lol was just warping around one shotting everything which was kinda fun. I mean how does gear even matter when you can buff like that??

And I never messed around with mixing items into the magic crafting so suddenly I'm like wtf dualcast/quintcast/healcast and instead of x 3 spells, getting like x10 each craft and magic, which was already good, is EVEN BETTER. For large group enemies dropping a dualcast Blizzara and wiping everyone in one shot is nice.

thisismyusername

« Reply #35109 on: June 05, 2020, 12:29:02 PM »
Have you figued out a way to make magic not awkward on controller? Noctis having to aim the bottles or whatever while the big ass dead-eye monster rushes his ass is  :doge

Bebpo

« Reply #35110 on: June 05, 2020, 03:13:26 PM »
Have you figued out a way to make magic not awkward on controller? Noctis having to aim the bottles or whatever while the big ass dead-eye monster rushes his ass is  :doge

Do you have wait mode on? I just wait until the action pauses and then select a magic and the enemy I want to toss it at and then toss it.

What's nice about FFXV's combat is that wait mode doesn't make the game completely turn-based and waiting-based like FFVIIr's turn mode difficulty. In FFXV you still play normally, just at times during the combat if you want to pause and do something like aim a magic spell or aim a friend's link attack at a specific enemy you just stop for a second and the combat completely pauses and lets you do what you want and then go back to normal action combat. Plus there's bonuses like extra damage to enemies if you scan them in wait mode first or easier breaking of body parts if you do a warp strike when in wait mode.

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #35111 on: June 05, 2020, 05:02:55 PM »
I started the outer worlds on PC, trying to get my M&K skills back after being a controller user for so long, pretty much just finishing the first world

I just selected what power should be cut off, as for the story does it get better after this? Seems pretty lame so far and I'm not really hooked.

Also gamepass, I keep getting these weird audio glitches, basically the music will go sometimes, then other times the gun sounds go, which is urm, interesting when in battle.

Anyone had that issue, how do you fix, found going into menu would fix it for a bit then would start again.

TY!

:)

Beezy

« Reply #35112 on: June 05, 2020, 06:27:02 PM »
Finished the Ace Combat 7 campaign on normal earlier this week. That last mission and the campaign overall was awesome, but I still have no idea which country I was fighting for. Switched my controls to Expert after, tried a few missions on easy, then started playing online. I'm not sure if I just suck or if the online community is just filled with amazing players. I've only had one match so far where downed multiple fighters.

I also just tried Rocket League for the first time. Why did I wait so long to play this? It's easy to pick up and fun as hell.

thisismyusername

« Reply #35113 on: June 05, 2020, 11:19:39 PM »

Do you have wait mode on? I just wait until the action pauses and then select a magic and the enemy I want to toss it at and then toss it.

What's nice about FFXV's combat is that wait mode doesn't make the game completely turn-based and waiting-based like FFVIIr's turn mode difficulty. In FFXV you still play normally, just at times during the combat if you want to pause and do something like aim a magic spell or aim a friend's link attack at a specific enemy you just stop for a second and the combat completely pauses and lets you do what you want and then go back to normal action combat. Plus there's bonuses like extra damage to enemies if you scan them in wait mode first or easier breaking of body parts if you do a warp strike when in wait mode.

No, I'm using whatever the default is. Maybe the developers wanted the rest of the boy band to be throwing these? IDK, but it's stupid.

paprikastaude

« Reply #35114 on: June 05, 2020, 11:53:27 PM »
Megaman Zero. What in god's name is that saving- and progression system :confused  :crazy Die a couple of times and then every level/boss you fail even once at becomes unavailable on that save forever? What.

Maybe I have yet to see the bigger picture, but right now this is the dumbest shit I've ever seen and very frustrating.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 12:28:08 AM by Spieler1 »

Bebpo

« Reply #35115 on: June 06, 2020, 12:18:22 AM »

No, I'm using whatever the default is. Maybe the developers wanted the rest of the boy band to be throwing these? IDK, but it's stupid.

Go into options and set combat to wait.

Bebpo

« Reply #35116 on: June 06, 2020, 12:25:16 AM »
FFXV progression is so weird. I feel like ch.8 is endgame in an rpg where I've been spending a dozen hours wrapping up optional stuff before heading to Altissa. Almost done with all the quest lines from NPCs and doing the occasional hunt. I'm holding off on what I consider endgame quests that are recommended lvl.45 or above, but doing everything else (not counting hunts) before heading to Altissa.

Sometimes I stumble into a lvl.45+ quest on accident and basically have to cheese through it with item burn at my levels. Like I did a base attack and it was easy until the final bosses popped out with two lvl.50 something mechs and that took foreeever with my levels.

Also did the FFXIV quest and it was awesome and one of the best designed quests in the game. Pretty clear the FFXIV team designed it as it felt more meaty than basically anything in the main game. The it was designed for lvl.45 so yeah pretty much had to chip damage through it, but was still fun.

And got the off-road Regalia and it's pretty good. This should've been in the game from the start but I guess it makes Chocobos pretty pointless and they wanted people to use chocobos.

Anyhow I've been banking all my xp and up to 250,000 xp banked currently. Really curious when I beat the main story and unlock all the xp at some 2x or 3x hotel how many levels I'm gonna gain. Probably be like 500,000xp banked by then.

Bebpo

« Reply #35117 on: June 06, 2020, 12:38:36 AM »
Oh and I finished Cid's weapon upgrades for the main sword and got the Ultima Weapon, which again makes it seem like I'm at endgame before the final dungeon with the whole map unlocked and all the optional dungeons lvl.45 open and stuff...but there's like 6 more chapters left.

*edit*

Also fishing quests done! I actually like the fishing in this, I just wish there were more quests considering there's so many spots & fish but only about 6 fishing quests. Also more gear. Also give me Deamon Waters to fish in like they added in the VR Fishing spinoff and FFXIV added recently where you fish monster fish.

Paired my quest list down from pages long to now fitting on one page w/only endgame/post-game stuff. Ready to get back to the story and uncap my levels at the 3x hotel.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 05:30:41 AM by Bebpo »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #35118 on: June 06, 2020, 01:12:50 PM »
going back to origins and wow yeah bayek and this setting still rules

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35119 on: June 06, 2020, 01:19:34 PM »
i just finished up Curse of the Pharaohs the other day and i gotta say it's one of the best dlcs I've ever played. the art direction, the attention to detail in the writing, the amazing sense of place in the map design, the whole game is one of the best released this generation.
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #35120 on: June 06, 2020, 04:17:58 PM »
Yeah, I bailed around the skiff stuff because I wasn’t having fun.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #35121 on: June 06, 2020, 05:00:18 PM »
I played a bit of it when it came out and it felt too light and floaty for gears, or at least what I remember gears feeling like :doge
(ice)

thisismyusername

« Reply #35122 on: June 06, 2020, 05:43:28 PM »

Go into options and set combat to wait.

I mean, I guess that works but that doesn't negate that the magic system is really awkward.

Sometimes I get Libra information in the middle of combat. So surely it's not just a "wait mode" thing?

Bebpo

« Reply #35123 on: June 06, 2020, 06:34:21 PM »
Ignis casts libra randomly. So sometimes you get enemy info, sometimes not. It's pretty stupid.

In wait mode if you hold the trigger you get enemy info although for some bosses they block info which is bullshit for a game that is all about hitting weakpoints. Basically on those bosses just need to shuffle and try everything until you get a orange (weakpoint hit) or white (normal hit) and figure it out yourself.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #35124 on: June 06, 2020, 08:32:38 PM »
Gears 5: Mostly fun if I could mute all dialogue, but the skiff section is dogshit. Really the whole 3rd act isn't particularly fun at all.

cover shooting traps them so bad. If I was somehow magically in charge of Gears going forward I would dump more resources behind Gears Tactics and I would make the mainline gears game shift to something that looks more like a sony first party game. Imagine a Gears that looked and played more like Last of Us or maybe something like the modern Tomb Raider games.

Bebpo

« Reply #35125 on: June 06, 2020, 08:50:46 PM »
Yeah, I feel like from my vague old memory of Gears 1/2 that they were more set pieces and moving forward than sit in cover fighting waves and then move forward and sit in cover fighting waves and repeat.

If they were always like that, then yeah they need to be more set piece focused like Sony 1st party stuff.

Bebpo

« Reply #35126 on: June 06, 2020, 10:52:27 PM »
FFXV

Took the xp cap ring off and leveled up at this point in Altissa (cool city btw).

I don't think it breaks it as the main difference between level 35 -> 73 is your HP is like 6,000+ instead of like 1,800. Even doing lvl.20ish hunts in Altissa, my damage output isn't too crazy whereas  lot of the lvl.35-45 hunts and sidequests I was clearing before going to Altissa were basically everything one shotting me over and over again and just spamming potions non-stop because of it, so having more HP should make it a lot better. Also that extra 500 AP will help. I'm still missing a lot of skills on the sphere grid which is kinda of bad in this game.

Also in Royal Edition you get the boat to drive around but....is there going to be any content to drive to? I mean since it wasn't in the original game there would be no original content unless they added a bunch of things to do in the Royal edition.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35127 on: June 06, 2020, 10:59:02 PM »
the boat is for fishing
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #35128 on: June 06, 2020, 11:10:05 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #35129 on: June 06, 2020, 11:16:50 PM »
Btw, story-wise there's one thing that makes no sense about the plot in this game so far.

Noctis's journey to meet Lunafreya and get married was because of the peace treaty, which didn't get signed and the empire murdered everyone.

On top of that, the empire apparently wants to kill or capture Noctis.

So why is Noctis still trying to marry Lunafreya and everyone keeps talking about the wedding like nothing changed from the original plan when Noctis set out before the fall of Insomnia? And why is everyone acting like as a wanted fugitive it totally makes sense to have a public wedding? wat.

Everything else plot-wise in the game I'm ok with so far even if things are rushed, barebones and messy, but the whole let's go to Altissa to get married backbone of the plot has made zero sense since Noctis learned about the fall of Insomnia around ch.3

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35130 on: June 07, 2020, 12:32:23 AM »
Because he's tryna hit that
fat

thisismyusername

« Reply #35131 on: June 07, 2020, 12:36:23 AM »
Because he's tryna hit that

Does he even want to? I got the feeling it was a shotgun/arranged marriage. Half the time, the boy band is like "NOCTIS YOU LUCKY DOG!" and he's just "meh, whatever. I guess..."

I got up to chapter 5, but the game crashed in the middle of a cut-scene. :beli So I might have to redo the Titan battle again. Not thrilled about that, but I'm like level 30 or so now. :lol If the 3xEXP hotel was open this early, I'd probably blow up in levels due to doing the side-quests, the fucking game eating my EXP numbers via Ardyn and others resting for the night automatically is some :maf shit.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35132 on: June 07, 2020, 02:34:19 AM »
You just want him to lick on Gladiolus peepee
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #35133 on: June 07, 2020, 03:38:41 AM »
Friends wanted a change of pace for online shenanigans, so we dropped into Worms: Battlegrounds. It's been so long since I last played this game, I had forgotten what a great multiplayer game it is -- and how shitty the controls are. The contextual weapon-control changes when using a ninja-rope or jetpack are unnecessary and baffling. Adding a singleplayer campaign doesn't make any of it more compelling, or the controls more forgivable.

Bebpo

« Reply #35134 on: June 07, 2020, 04:10:03 AM »
FFXV

Arena! Good thing I like FFXV's combat...oh wait it's a dumb uncontrollable monster AI fight zzz, surprised they messed this up considering the combat system would be good for an arena.

Altissia is weird. It's cool looking but there's really really little to do there. Oh wow, fight mob hunts in the city at a few spots zzz. I thought there'd be at least some sidequests (I think there are, but I guess they open up later in the game) for some variety of stuff to do in the city. I tried the moogle carnival back when the game launched and I remember lots of minigames and things in the city. I wonder if there's a way to access the carnival version anymore?

The leviathon stuff was yeaaaaah. Definitely was messy. Although on the first try the fight was like a two seconds part one and then super saiyan invincible fight just holding O for 5 mins breaking fins and it was like wtf is this.

Then because the translation seemed so bad I couldn't even understand the actual implications of the major dialogues I ran through it again with Japanese text and discovered that if you piss Leviathon off the the first part of the fight actual goes on longer and you can take damage? But it still ends once you do some damage so idk what the point is, I also learned that the 2nd super saiyan part is meant to played like ZoE with circle strafing and lock on missiles and not physical up close can't see shit and doing low damage. Played as ZoE it's pretty quick and flashy and fun though it's still a joke since you're basically invincible.

Anyhow, Nomura definitely really liked AC2 given Altissia being Venice lol

Then starting ch.10...was interesting. Through all the years of people talking about this game and all the pre-release whatever, I thought the entire game map was just Lucis continent + Altissa city. So this is all new stuff to me. Also apparently we're in Xenogears disc 2 now?

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #35135 on: June 07, 2020, 06:29:04 AM »
I played a bit of it when it came out and it felt too light and floaty for gears, or at least what I remember gears feeling like :doge

I installed the originals when I got to 4 and 5 and the contrast is real stark. Time to kill in the newer games seems higher and it lacks the visceral weighty combat of the original trilogy. It's as if The Coalition only cares about the graphics and story and never pauses to see if the games actually feel good to play. They seemingly create so little unique stuff for the campaign they have to put horde mode and multiplayer maps into the singleplayer component.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #35136 on: June 07, 2020, 06:46:01 AM »

I installed the originals when I got to 4 and 5 and the contrast is real stark. Time to kill in the newer games seems higher and it lacks the visceral weighty combat of the original trilogy. It's as if The Coalition only cares about the graphics and story and never pauses to see if the games actually feel good to play. They seemingly create so little unique stuff for the campaign they have to put horde mode and multiplayer maps into the singleplayer component.

The main man nintex posted this in the gears thread, it has none of the weight or attention to detail that the originals had :thinking

(ice)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #35137 on: June 07, 2020, 06:56:27 AM »
Beat Dead Rising 4. Playing modernish games at full settings :aah

I only played I think one of the free demo/prologue for one of the games on 360, but it seemed like that was a lot more varied and silly with the weapons than 4 was. I skipped all of the cut scenes because who gives a fuck but really all of the weapon types played/handled pretty much exactly the same so despite the seemingly hundreds of weapons, it really only felt like you were playing with 4 or 5 throughout the entire game. I did enjoy it and the map is really vast to have at times like 300-400 enemies on screen at once being chopped up/blown up/run over. I did most of the game as Street Fighter characters.

Is the Capcom Heroes mode literally just the same story mode but you play as various Capcom characters instead?

Oh Stro you should really grab Dead Rising 1 on Steam. Its the best game in the series.
What

thisismyusername

« Reply #35138 on: June 07, 2020, 12:07:25 PM »
You just want him to lick on Gladiolus peepee

:larry I do have the cool young dude taking a lot of photos of Gladio... :larry

But that doesn't refute my opinion. Noctis has like little to no interest in Lunafrya until like Titan. And then it's a mild concern. Might just be the shitty/rushed writing, but it really feels like he doesn't care and it's just an arranged marriage that both agree to because "that's their jobs" while the rest of the boy band and world at large doesn't really know that.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #35139 on: June 07, 2020, 02:06:55 PM »
Another?

paprikastaude

« Reply #35140 on: June 07, 2020, 02:21:00 PM »
Megaman Zero. What in god's name is that saving- and progression system :confused  :crazy Die a couple of times and then every level/boss you fail even once at becomes unavailable on that save forever? What.

Maybe I have yet to see the bigger picture, but right now this is the dumbest shit I've ever seen and very frustrating.

Seems like the best option is to farm EXP and continues in an early level for practice and then reload that save whenever you think you've got a level/boss down to beat with one live. Completely stupid. Actual gameplay is great though, especially learning the bosses (if you've farmed lives to be granted actual retries...).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 02:43:24 PM by Spieler1 »

thisismyusername

« Reply #35141 on: June 07, 2020, 02:41:40 PM »
Another?

I guess he considers Greece one? :idont

thisismyusername

« Reply #35142 on: June 07, 2020, 10:52:07 PM »
Ok, reached the woods that Iris wants to go to. Chapter 6 nearly done and am like level 40-42 for the party. I'm starting to see where you're coming from with the over-leveling feeling, Bebs.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35143 on: June 07, 2020, 11:49:36 PM »
Another?

It's a super common setting / theme in games overall. I'm sure AC guys will do w good job of it, same way they did with Greece but it's a bit played our for me.
I don't much like what they did with Greece, tbh.
Thankfully this is the Origins team, they seem to be the top dog when it comes to good ACs.
And they already said it won't go as supernatural as Odyssey did, so that's already good news.

Bebpo

« Reply #35144 on: June 08, 2020, 12:23:37 AM »
Another?

It's a super common setting / theme in games overall. I'm sure AC guys will do w good job of it, same way they did with Greece but it's a bit played our for me.
Thankfully this is the Origins team, they seem to be the top dog when it comes to good ACs.
And they already said it won't go as supernatural as Odyssey did, so that's already good news.

The main AC team did AC3 & Unity  ;)

Whereas the B-team did Black Flag & Syndicate   ;)

But yeah Origins was great, so main team seems good again.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35145 on: June 08, 2020, 12:51:02 AM »
Another?

The main AC team did AC3 & Unity  ;)

Whereas the B-team did Black Flag & Syndicate   ;)

But yeah Origins was great, so main team seems good again.
They have at least 3 teams.
Syndicate was done by the team that made Odyssey.
Black Flag, Origins and Valhalla are done by the same team.
Although they all work on everything and directors move around, so i'm not sure how much it matters.

thisismyusername

« Reply #35146 on: June 08, 2020, 01:04:05 AM »
Whose the one that did 2, Brotherhood, and Revelations? That one should be doing more Assassin's Creed. Specifically: Ezio games. :doge

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #35147 on: June 08, 2020, 01:56:26 AM »
:piss  Assassins’ Creed :piss2

Debating the quality of modern UbiFactory games  :teehee
Margs

Bebpo

« Reply #35148 on: June 08, 2020, 02:18:21 AM »
FFXV - Got to Ch.13, the one everyone hates so they made an alternate route. Story-wise the original route seems to make more sense so playing through that. It's ok, the story in this game is very much a weird cliff notes skipping around with no impact. So basically Xenogears disc 2 except not as well done. Still ok, I think I got the gist of the plot/story.

The story guide thing says it's ok to play Episode Ignis & Ardyn after ch.13 but before you beat the game in ch.14? That seems odd since I read both are pretty heavy overall plot spoilers. Figure when I'm at ch.14 might as well just finish the main story and then do those episodes. Might do Episode Prompto next time before doing the rest of ch.13.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35149 on: June 08, 2020, 03:51:10 AM »
:piss  Assassins’ Creed :piss2

Debating the quality of modern UbiFactory games  :teehee
Good point, there's no debating that they're good quality. :thinking

FFXV - Got to Ch.13, the one everyone hates so they made an alternate route. Story-wise the original route seems to make more sense so playing through that. It's ok, the story in this game is very much a weird cliff notes skipping around with no impact. So basically Xenogears disc 2 except not as well done. Still ok, I think I got the gist of the plot/story.

The story guide thing says it's ok to play Episode Ignis & Ardyn after ch.13 but before you beat the game in ch.14? That seems odd since I read both are pretty heavy overall plot spoilers. Figure when I'm at ch.14 might as well just finish the main story and then do those episodes. Might do Episode Prompto next time before doing the rest of ch.13.

(Image removed from quote.)

Also quoting for the new page.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #35150 on: June 08, 2020, 06:56:31 AM »
Another?

Is it?  Which ones were there? God of War and Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice? Christ, we're absolutely getting killed with these viking games.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35151 on: June 08, 2020, 08:00:29 AM »
there's tons of viking games out there not sure why you're getting butthurt

do those dlcs after the main game, as they spoil the ending. you can do prompto's now tho.
pcp

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #35152 on: June 08, 2020, 09:34:03 AM »
Feudal Japan has to be somewhere in the Assassin's Creed pipeline. It's been the most requested setting for multiple gens at this point.  :lol
OH!

Svejk

« Reply #35153 on: June 08, 2020, 09:48:55 AM »
Feudal Japan has to be somewhere in the Assassin's Creed pipeline. It's been the most requested setting for multiple gens at this point.  :lol
They've missed their chance by now.  Ghost of Tsushima will fill that void.

As for Valhalla, ...I loved GOW, Hellblade, and the History Ch. Vikings series (for the most part)... so I'm pretty much down for an Assy Crud take on all this.  However, seeing s the release window seems to be around next gen launch, I'd rather wait and play it on the PS Fif.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 09:53:19 AM by Svejk »

thisismyusername

« Reply #35154 on: June 08, 2020, 10:35:53 AM »
They've missed their chance by now.  Ghost of Tsushima will fill that void.

:foodcourt

@Bebs: Comrads said to not start it until you finish the main game, I started it anyway. There's very little there that impacts the main story (beyond Cid being there when he shouldn't be. :doge ), I wouldn't worry too much about the episodes spoiling you or anything if you want to play them before finishing the main game.

Bebpo

« Reply #35155 on: June 08, 2020, 11:56:32 AM »
Yeah, on Comrades I'm just gonna watch the 1 hour youtube video of all the cutscenes.

I like FFXV's combat, but honestly as an open world combat action game, FFXV just doesn't have enough depth/progression to last beyond about 30 hours (outside the slightly dull starting area, I think FFXV makes a generally good impression of a finished game through about Titan. After that once it's like "uh, Noctis, go touch 3 branches to get Ramuh" the campaign cracks begin to show), and almost 50 hours in I'm good. I still am having enough fun on the open world gameplay side that after beating the story I'll finish up probably every quest in the game and all the optional dungeons and a good amount of the hunts, but I don't need a multiplayer expansion thing of more FFXV combat. Over the length of the time FFVIIr's combat & progression definitely outshine FFXV.

Bebpo

« Reply #35156 on: June 08, 2020, 12:12:00 PM »
FFXV - I was looking up at the Umbra dog chapter rewind thing works and saw that basically from ch.9 on it's completely linear and basically a whole different game while allowing you to go back to the original game. No wonder ch.8 felt like the endgame and basically every quest was available if you had the levels and most of the optional dungeons, ultimate weapons, etc...it really is the endgame for the actual game that makes up ch.1-8 and then 9-14 is just FFXIII style FFXV's story but with making more sense plot-wise, less sense progression-wise and missing a whole lot of the character development at least FFXIII had.

Needless to say, even before finishing the plot, I definitely liked the first half of the game much better. While it has jank, and oooooh boy does it have jank in a way that the game feels like it could have come out in 2006, it's at least a fun gameplay game where you go around doing sidequests and hunts and exploring while doing story quests here and there. There's a base structure to it that works.

FFXV's first half feels like one of those "developers first attempt at an open world game" like Assassin's Creed 1, Infamous, Saints Row, etc, etc... like it's solid and fun and the base is there, but it's also empty and unpolished and doesn't quite hold up in 2016-2020 era of open world games. But what that also implies is that if they tried to do this formula again with FF, they'd probably nail it with a great more fleshed out and fun open world game like how AC2/Infamous 2/SR2 etc...were. I'd be pretty excited and optimistic about another ubisoft x wrpg x jrpg hybrid open world FF after FFXV.

But then the second half...yikes. Yeah. I don't think Tabata knows how to tell a story for the life of him. And I'm not talking about the writing but how 3rd Birthday, Crisis Core, Type-0, FFXV 2nd half all share the same jumping around from scene to scene to progress the story while skipping/lacking all the between scenes that transition between story moments and develop the characters and world. I'm definitely not sad to see him gone from SE at this point.

Also I have a strong feeling that the first half open world game, which is 2006-era good was mostly what Nomura/KH's team put together over the years. Especially after KH and FFVIIr I'll give Nomura and that team the benefit of the doubt. Wouldn't be surprised if Tabata & his team basically just retooled their open world game to make it releasable and then put together this 2nd half to string together the rest of the story.

If they had another year or so of development, I wonder if they could've made a 2nd smaller open world map to do the 2nd half in. Same story beats/cutscenes but at least fill it with some places to explore, sidequests, hunts, optional dungeons to flesh it out. Also Altissia should've had some basic surrounding areas outside of the city to put a dungeon or two in and some hunts (instead of hunts in the city itself).

Anyhow will finish up the story this week for sure along with probably the episodes.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #35157 on: June 08, 2020, 12:33:44 PM »
there's tons of viking games out there not sure why you're getting butthurt.

Show me them because I'd like to play them.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35158 on: June 08, 2020, 12:36:32 PM »
pcp

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #35159 on: June 08, 2020, 12:49:37 PM »
Played both games already. Really good.