Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3598559 times)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #35340 on: July 13, 2020, 05:08:00 PM »

Up to Mission 16 on Ace Combat 7.  I want to get the majority of the planes, but I don't think I'm willing to go for that much of a grind.  I have been picking up and playing the multiplayer from time to time just to rack up some munz...

Unless they patched it out, there's a cheat way to farm credits (which i used to buy all planes/upgrades).
Fuck farming.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35341 on: July 13, 2020, 06:30:07 PM »
Phew, nearly blasted my through all the NOD covert operations.

The MCV heist mission was the hardest one so far, mainly because you have to built your base next to the GDI base.
In the end the only thing I could do was to built a wall of turrets between me and GDI and wait out their relentless attacks.
After about 3 tries I could replace my turrets faster than they could destroy them and the harvest surrounding their base ran out
so their harvesters had to run through my base.  :doge

🤴

Svejk

« Reply #35342 on: July 13, 2020, 11:47:32 PM »

Up to Mission 16 on Ace Combat 7.  I want to get the majority of the planes, but I don't think I'm willing to go for that much of a grind.  I have been picking up and playing the multiplayer from time to time just to rack up some munz...

Unless they patched it out, there's a cheat way to farm credits (which i used to buy all planes/upgrades).
Fuck farming.
Shoot.. gonna look into that then..

daycru

« Reply #35343 on: July 13, 2020, 11:48:04 PM »
Having a lot of fun with Deadly Premonition 2 despite all of the obvious issues, plays like a combination of Yakuza and the open world/activities from No More Heroes. Very relaxing gameplay loop.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #35344 on: July 14, 2020, 01:54:30 AM »
playing like a new game a day sort of thing, just stuff on Steam so far, Gems of War, Regency Solitaire, Eight-Minute Empire, Cat Quest

been picking by using the new filtering for the library and clicking random tags until there's only like ten games or so and then picking from those

on deck: Project Warlock, Star Trek Timelines, Super 3-D Noah's Ark, Evil Bank Manager

edit: Cat Quest is surprisingly difficult, need to grind your level up or shit in the main quest just one hit kills you

Animation Throwdown is some mobile card game on Steam with acheesements and cards so I'm trying that too, and already this kind of image is happening:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 02:02:35 AM by benjipwns »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #35345 on: July 15, 2020, 10:48:47 AM »
Finished up Deadly Premonition 1 last night. It's a great game, but the last act is amazing.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
- Emily fighting Thomas in the clock tower
- "Francis York Morgan......WELCOME TO GREENVALE!"
- Raincoat Killer rampaging while Amazing Grace plays
- Zach
- Kaysen boss fight
[close]

:lawd

« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 11:41:09 AM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35346 on: July 15, 2020, 10:58:06 AM »
Finished Traysia, now playing Wonder Boy in Monster World. This is one of the games in the franchise I never really played much of (I have beaten Dragon's Trap, MWIV, and Monster Boy)... the extremely slow walking speed has always turned me off. But now I'm playing it some more - you get some boot upgrades that allow you to move a bit faster, but still I'm not crazy about the slow movement. I just beat the giant rock heads in the temple boss fight, and got the Poseidon's Trident, so now I can go underwater. I like the art in the game, it's a super early Genesis game, but the visuals are bright, and almost have a colored pencil look not unlike Yoshi's Island.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #35347 on: July 15, 2020, 02:28:15 PM »
Finished up Deadly Premonition 1 last night. It's a great game, but the last act is amazing.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
- Emily fighting Thomas in the clock tower
- "Francis York Morgan......WELCOME TO GREENVALE!"
- Raincoat Killer rampaging while Amazing Grace plays
- Zach
- Kaysen boss fight
[close]

:lawd

Damn, now you're making me want to replay this. I played about half when it came out on X360 but lost my save and never finished it. I liked the first half, but the gameplay was too painful for me to replay it.

Bebpo

« Reply #35348 on: July 15, 2020, 02:32:06 PM »
Ys IX

A few chapters in now and got the gist of this game. It's essentially a merger of a kiseki/trails-lite game & a Ys game. I thought VIII was trying to do that but it didn't feel very kiseki to me and just felt like a very talky Ys game. This feels almost like it could be a kiseki spin-off title.

if you enjoy both of those it's good for what it is.

50% of your time is going to be spent on kiseki sidequests and kiseki character slice of life stories mixed in with occasional 30-60 seconds of action pops and then 50% will be Ys dungeons & bosses.

The story/characters aren't as good as Kiseki because Ys doesn't have as established & interesting world lore and the budget here is A LOT LESS with very little voice acting outside key scenes & the cutscenes are way less flashy, but the writing/characters/cutscene direction is much better than any Ys before.

The action stuff is still just skill spam for normal enemy mobs with bosses being good stuff where you learn patterns and dodge/guard and counter.

If you're not interested in the kiseki-lite slice of life half, then it's going to be a slow paced Ys game like VIII was. But if you actually enjoying the questing slice of life NPC and character stuff then it's slower paced but constantly enjoyable game.

It also has a bit of a PS2/PS3-era take on an ubisoft game with each section of the map having x amount of treasures and collectibles which the map says and you can go checklist them off like an ubi game and turn them in for loot. This part is pretty damn budget & basic but it's sorta fun as a side thing when you're running around flying and running up walls.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35349 on: July 15, 2020, 02:42:41 PM »
the thing about deadly premonition is that the budget dried up quickly so the open world part is only in the first two chapters. the rest of the game is linear and iirc fairly short.
pcp

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #35350 on: July 15, 2020, 02:49:43 PM »
The combat is still not great, but it's at least less frustrating after the Director's Cut. By that, I mean it's super easy so you can just breeze through the combat sequences. I only died one time and it was during a QTE. I would like to have played the "No Combat" version of DP that they were making before the producers made SWERY add guns for the 'Muricans late in development.
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #35351 on: July 15, 2020, 02:58:05 PM »
Hmmm, I don't remember if I got past the open world part. Maybe I'll give it a replay later this year. I'll probably play DP2 but gonna wait and see if they do a PC version in the next year that runs better.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #35352 on: July 15, 2020, 03:04:06 PM »
It's technically all open world, but the side-quests and exploration are heavily front-loaded, and by the end you're just going from one story event to the next.
©@©™

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35353 on: July 15, 2020, 04:36:09 PM »
I find with RPGs I'm way more interested in bigger picture stuff than the slice of life stuff everyone else seems to love. A bit disappointing that Ys IX has a bit more of that, I like Trails to be my 'huge plot' game and Ys to be just go around beating the shit out of stuff while 80s buttrock and synthpop plays.
^_^

benjipwns

« Reply #35354 on: July 15, 2020, 06:25:39 PM »
Super 3-D Noah's Ark is so fucking hard even on Easy, I'll try Super Easy but I don't know if I can beat the first level. :dead

The goats are pretty easy once you know where they are but there's this fucking camel on the third map.

Bebpo

« Reply #35355 on: July 15, 2020, 07:57:43 PM »
I find with RPGs I'm way more interested in bigger picture stuff than the slice of life stuff everyone else seems to love. A bit disappointing that Ys IX has a bit more of that, I like Trails to be my 'huge plot' game and Ys to be just go around beating the shit out of stuff while 80s buttrock and synthpop plays.

Yeah, you might not like IX that much then.

For instance, you know how Trails games give you sidequests each chapter and you basically have to do a handful of required ones to unlock the next story progression? Yeah, Ys IX does that for the first half of each chapter.

IX doesn't even have a huge plot, but it has a city of NPCs and a cast and the sidequests are about the NPCs/city/setting and the story tends to be developing each cast member and their situation. I'm hoping because it's following a Trails formula that it means it will all build up to a big action packed satisfying final chapter. I'll see soon enough.

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #35356 on: July 15, 2020, 09:10:01 PM »
Ruiner is one stylish game goddamn

BisMarckie

« Reply #35357 on: July 15, 2020, 09:58:00 PM »
Super 3-D Noah's Ark is so fucking hard even on Easy, I'll try Super Easy but I don't know if I can beat the first level. :dead

The goats are pretty easy once you know where they are but there's this fucking camel on the third map.

I still can’t believe Noah went on a murderous rampgae to cull the world’s goat population. The Bible eft out some pretty important details about this guy’s character.

benjipwns

« Reply #35358 on: July 15, 2020, 11:55:35 PM »
no, you "feed" them until they "go to sleep" see

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #35359 on: July 16, 2020, 12:07:11 AM »
Just like how BJ dealt with the Nazis.
©@©™

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #35360 on: July 16, 2020, 01:03:48 AM »
Just like how BJ dealt with the Nazis.

Yeah, he fed them lead   :gun
Margs

Bebpo

« Reply #35361 on: July 16, 2020, 04:02:10 AM »
Ys IX still rocking, really like the cast. I think this is the first Ys game ever that I actually give a shit about the characters and story and don't just want to skip all cutscenes to hit things.

That said there is definitely a decent amount of tower defense in this one. Probably more than VIII even if it's better implemented here. It's pretty clear that Falcom sees Tower Defense as part of the Ys formula now, just like the rock/paper/scissors battle system. Tower Defense stages are dirt cheap on the budget since it's just waves of existing enemies in a single location over and over and it let's them put in action segments to break up story that would otherwise require actual budget dungeons and bosses.

It's kind of a shame, but it is what it is and the tower defense is a little better here. I mean it is a little fun spamming skills on endless enemies for a few mins, but it's definitely the weakest part of Ys action gaming. At least there's still a lot of dungeons too. The dungeons in Ys IX are definitely the best dungeons since they moved away from top-down sprite action. Some of the other party members are a lot of fun to play as too. Good movesets.

benjipwns

« Reply #35362 on: July 16, 2020, 04:06:08 AM »
beat Noah's Ark level one on Super Easy, but ran out of ammo and died on the last map of level two, why did they make this game so hard lol

11:47 mang

17:12 oh god i can't this jam

Tektonic

• OG Cracker
« Reply #35363 on: July 16, 2020, 05:09:56 AM »
about 3 hours into AC:Odyssey. I'm 1/30th of the way through! YAY!

actually enjoying it, last AC i played was 4 - the pirate one... This one is pretty cool, I like sniping fools and then burning their war supplies.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #35364 on: July 16, 2020, 08:56:11 AM »
beat Noah's Ark level one on Super Easy, but ran out of ammo and died on the last map of level two, why did they make this game so hard lol

Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. :wag
©@©™

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35365 on: July 16, 2020, 10:00:45 AM »
So I escaped the whole stupid "plastic peripherals and instruments" trend of the mid 2000s (my brother on the other hand - had the fucking bongos, the whole Rock Band drums/guitar/mic set, the taiko drums, Wii balance board, the maracas, the turntables, etc)... but then my girlfriend went ahead and bought Wii Fit Plus for the original Wii. And she wants to keep it at my house  :P

We played a bit of it last night - my body was ready though, since quarantine I lost 20 pounds and am now just barely at the ideal BMI for my height.

Some of the minigames were kinda fun though I'll have to admit.
^_^

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35366 on: July 16, 2020, 02:34:11 PM »
missing out on the bongos for jungle beat is a tragedy
pcp

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35367 on: July 16, 2020, 08:03:49 PM »
missing out on the bongos for jungle beat is a tragedy

Tbf I did play my brother's copy... then he gifted me the game and a pair of bongos when he went to med school...
^_^

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35368 on: July 17, 2020, 03:13:05 AM »
Played (and finished in one sitting) Resident Evil 3 (remake).
I'm a big fan of the original RE3, and i was under the impression that this remake was disappointing because it cut some stuff and it was too short.
I now realize this game is a disappointment, because it's a shit game. :thinking

A graveyard of creativity, horrid writing even worse than the original (and we're talking about a cheesy zombie game from the PS1 era) and just a greatest hits of bad design decisions, rolled into just about 5 hours of gameplay.

Outlets giving this thing a 7 were taking the piss, i think i'd struggle to go above a 4, maybe a 5.
I hope Capcom knew what they were putting out, and this isn't indicative of the quality we can expect from RE8, but i did like 7, and loved the RE2 remake, so this one was probably just a turd they had to shit out quickly with little thought.

Worst game i've played this year so far.
I hated this game, and personally resent anyone who worked on it. ;)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35369 on: July 17, 2020, 10:58:35 AM »
ya man we told you

glad you figured it out though
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #35370 on: July 17, 2020, 12:13:15 PM »
Look I ain't gonna defend a 7/10 RE game, but it's not that bad.

I bet if you replayed it you'd like it more since you know what to do and where to go. Sometimes games seem like nothing but bad design decisions on first run when you don't know what the game expects you to do. This happens to me allll the time.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35371 on: July 17, 2020, 12:42:45 PM »
Look I ain't gonna defend a 7/10 RE game, but it's not that bad.

I bet if you replayed it you'd like it more since you know what to do and where to go. Sometimes games seem like nothing but bad design decisions on first run when you don't know what the game expects you to do. This happens to me allll the time.
Maybe the initial shock would be mitigated somewhat, but i don't think "not knowing what to do" was ever a problem? The game is super linear for the most part and i was never confused as to where to go or what to do, tbh.

The two major problems for me, even not considering the changes to the original, were:
The awful way the story is told (there's basically no build up, everything is rushed, the RE6 style action beginning undermines any sense of progression in stakes being raised).
The fundamental misunderstanding of what made Remake2 FUN.

Having a labyrinth of ways you had to wade through, every time making a mental check of risk vs reward, depending on you resources, whether you wanted to spend bullets or health, or maybe take the long route to get to the same location.
This is what made the Police Station amazing, and then just when you started to get too comfortable with the layout, the dropped in Mr.X.

In this one none of that happens, they have no interesting layouts, just rooms filled up with zombies (with a damage system that is also out of wack) and so since they didn't know how to balance it out, what do they do? Fill you up to comical levels with ammo.
so now it's just a damn shooter, you just enter a room and start blasting.

Only turns out, as a shooter this game is quite poor.  :-\
Nemesis is also not nearly as interestingly used as Mr.X, because his pursuit lasts at most a couple of rooms every time, and there's no reasoning you're supposed to do to avoid him, just run straight and dodge a couple of times.
You had to handle X in several ways, keep a mental note of where he was, try not to shoot other enemies, as to not to make noise, etc.

Another thing i hated were the boss fights, whatever happened to the rule of 3? These things go on forever with the same pattern, and once again you're just blasting ammo for the most part.
Not to mention in the second to last boss fight, they had the balls to drop in fucking zombie mob along with the boss, i was feeling second hand embarrassment at that point.
RE2 didn't have masterpiece boss fights either, tbh, but at least they didn't drag on forever in an attempt to mask creativity with length.

Even on its own this game was incredibly poor, then if i go back and remember why i like the original, it fares even worse.

the things that i did like, were mostly carried over by the work done on 2, like the amazing engine/graphics, and a couple of musical tracks that were cool.
I also like the (visual) design of NEST2 better than those of NEST1, too bad that area was also annoying on the gameplay side of things (again, nothing very creative, just fill up every other room with 10 zombies and give the player infinite ammo).

Bebpo

« Reply #35372 on: July 17, 2020, 04:19:00 PM »
I didn't think the bosses were too long once I figure out the strategy.

Honestly I read all your complaints and I think if you played it a second time going for a speedrun to get a good ranking you'd enjoy it a lot more and come to like, but not love, the game.

The story sucks, Nemesis sucks, it's too short, sure. But the areas are pretty decent and fun to speed through. The game just needed more of them and to have Nemesis be more like Mr.X as a presence throughout.

Bebpo

« Reply #35373 on: July 17, 2020, 04:22:44 PM »
Ys IX - One thing I forgot to mention is this game has TROLL DUNGEONS. There is a (maybe optional) sidequest every chapter where you play as a different character, kinda like Dana in Ys8, and go through a short dungeon full of hard to see traps where everything kills you in 1 hit and gives you a game over screen and makes you retry from the start over and over and over.

It's fucking terrible and they know it is because when you die in these sections the game over screen has an option to "skip this bullshit dungeon and just jump to the end cutscene with no penalty"

I beat the first one, but midway through the second one after I started raging a bit I'm just like why am I bothering stressing about this crap, fuck gamer completion pride, I'm just skip this.

And it was fine, and I'll probably skip all the rest of them. It'd be one thing if these troll dungeons were well designed like a Souls game, but they aren't and the gimmick is just constantly killing you out of nowhere and making you restart, which is shitty design and they should've just axed these bits from the game in the first place.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35374 on: July 17, 2020, 04:29:32 PM »
maybe you just need to replay it now that you know what to do. lol
fat

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35375 on: July 17, 2020, 06:55:49 PM »

Honestly I read all your complaints and I think if you played it a second time going for a speedrun to get a good ranking you'd enjoy it a lot more and come to like, but not love, the game.

The story sucks, Nemesis sucks, it's too short, sure. But the areas are pretty decent and fun to speed through. The game just needed more of them and to have Nemesis be more like Mr.X as a presence throughout.
ill do a second run at some point, but my point is the fun in doing re2 a second time was optimizing routes, in this one you're usually going straight and the challenge comes mostly from excessive combat.

I did like the hospital somewhat, it at least felt like more of a true area, even though compared to the police station, it's really nothing amazing.
But even then, the part with Carlos with the zombies coming in, is like worse than the one in RE4, ffs, a game from 15 years ago.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #35376 on: July 17, 2020, 07:17:40 PM »
Far Cry Primal seems pretty cool at first impression, imagine it gets super samey/grindy later but may be fun in smaller doses?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35377 on: July 17, 2020, 07:51:18 PM »
Finished the C&C Covert Operations NOD Campaign.

The last two missions were fun but the second to last was another crazy one.
This time you are completely surrounded by GDI forces on three sides. Each group consisting of 2 rocket launchers, 2 light scouts, 2 medium tanks, 2 mammoth tanks and 20 or so infantry. They also drop Air strikes from time to time.
They will not attack unless you attack them or until you wipe out one side or drop a nuke on them.
You can sneak out one stealth tank to find a crate for some extra credits, but other than that you just need to sell off most of your starting base, which gives you about 5000 - 6000 credits in total to come up with a strategy.

My first thought was to try and break through with the little starting force which didn't work. Then I went for Obelisks. Again I got steamrolled.
It took me about 5 tries until I discovered that a well placed shot from the otherwise useless artillery can trigger them into moving one unit at a time.
Sniping away some units and spending most of my credits on light tanks to surround 2 strategically placed obelisks got me a force big enough to finally stave off the attack and do a counter attack on their base.
They don't produce units (they even send the harvester to attack lol) so after the initial assault, if you have enough units and play it tactically the base shouldn't be a problem.

I watched a few walkthroughs afterwards and I see everyone ending this mission with 1 or 2 units left, while I still had about 10 to 15 units.
It seems like the arty trick I discovered has gone unnoticed for 25 years.  :doge

The last mission gives you about 9 units to try and destroy a GDI Advanced Communication Center to take out their Ion Cannon. Some fun triggers in this mission as well. Like money crates that make all enemy units chase the unit that stole the credits first.
Such a diversion can help to get your stealth tanks into a position long enough to destroy the Adv. Comm Center and beat the mission and Covert Operations campaign.

Now onto the mellow previously N64 exclusive console missions. Which are compared to the Covert Ops and looking at the two I have beaten so far much easier.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #35378 on: July 17, 2020, 08:10:36 PM »

ill do a second run at some point, but my point is the fun in doing re2 a second time was optimizing routes, in this one you're usually going straight and the challenge comes mostly from excessive combat.

I did like the hospital somewhat, it at least felt like more of a true area, even though compared to the police station, it's really nothing amazing.
But even then, the part with Carlos with the zombies coming in, is like worse than the one in RE4, ffs, a game from 15 years ago.

Yeah, the hospital is the best map. The game only has like 2 regular RE2 style maps. It's so ridiculously small.

Streets = regular-sized map
Hospital = regular-sized map
Sewers = mini-mini-sized map
Labs = mini-sized map

Streets, if you're not comparing them to the original RE3, are good & hospital is good. Labs are fine but so short and you can just magnum/shotgun everything and sewers are whatever fire grenade a couple times. Add in 4 boss fights and that's your whole game.

The Carlos hospital horde mode section is ok. On its own to do once it's fine and plays well enough, but the problem is that on replays it's the slowest part of the game since you can't speedrun it and have to wait it out and it's zzzz.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #35379 on: July 18, 2020, 04:25:51 AM »
maybe you just need to replay it now that you know what to do. lol

Why you always gotta be such a hater bro 😂
What

benjipwns

« Reply #35380 on: July 18, 2020, 06:10:34 AM »
played some Hell Let Loose free weekend on Steam

ran around for ten minutes lost near Foy dying a few time from tanks blowing up everything nearby, then got lost some more but came up behind two Germans on a stair well, shot the first one, realized with a garand i can't reload, so i then shot the second one who hadn't turned around, then ran towards a bunch of my teammates on the map for three more minutes, got there and we won the game two seconds later, leveled up to level 4

three stars

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #35381 on: July 18, 2020, 07:30:20 AM »
I also played a joined a german server because it wouldnt let me join any other servers. I ran around some fields, got shot twice, respawned and ran towards a river where my team was making a push. I tried crossing thd e river and I drowned

3/5 stars because I couldnt figure out how to swim
What

Bebpo

« Reply #35382 on: July 18, 2020, 04:06:40 PM »
Man, I am so incredibly disappointed by Donut County. Part of it is probably expectations. From what I understood going in this game is was a Katamary Damcy-like where you start with a small sinkhole that grows as each object falls in and you get bigger and bigger swallowing larger things.

Was nostalgic for Katamari today so gave this a play. It's incredibly poor designed and a waste of opportunity and you can tell it was made for mobile.

The stages are all bite-sized. They last about 3 minutes and only cover one small area. Worse is within the stages, they are divided into sub-stages with only like 10 objects each sub-area and you have to swallow them all before moving to the next area within the one stage map. So you don't even have the Katamari-like challenge of figuring out which objects to grab first among an area with 50+ objects.

I don't think there's even a timer or anything, so essentially it feels like there's no gameplay. You have 10 objects at time, grab them in the order from smallest to largest. Stage over. That's the whole game. They throw in a couple of unique physics interactions but that's it.

And the size and scale never gets too long, I youtubed the last stages to see if the scale eventually ramps up, but nope, you're still just swallowing cars and small shacks and boulders.

This game would have been easy to make where you start swallowing tennis balls and eventually are swallowing up entire cities and volcano islands in a reverse Katamari. I would've loved to see stages start small and continually get larger like Katamari to reach that point. But it doesn't. So expectations totally let down.

On its own it's a weak game because there's so little gameplay and compared to Katamari it's even worse. Yeah the visual style is nice and the writing is cute & funny, but this game is not very good and works better as a mobile title when you have 2-3 mins to move a small sinkhole around with your finger and drop everything in the stage and you're done for the session.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35383 on: July 18, 2020, 11:32:09 PM »
Finished Wonder Boy in Monster World. Not really one of my favorites, the enemies respawn really fast, and there are some really cheap areas - like one part with shifting platforms that give you barely any time to navigate them, and if you fall down you have to fight a drawn out miniboss battle over and over... think it took me about 30 times before I finally beat it, then died on the area boss when he had 2 or 3 hits to go... the game also has ice and conveyor belts that make traction extremely difficult... either you cannot get enough speed to go against it, or you slip around waaaaay too much and too fast. There are lots of little annoyances that put this at the bottom of my Wonder Boy tier list (haven't really played enough of the original 2 games to judge).

With Bebpo talking about Ys IX, and me realizing I forgot a lot about Dawn of Ys aside from the fact I loved it, I think I'm gonna replay that next. Then onto SNES games.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #35384 on: July 19, 2020, 04:11:33 AM »
Ys' IX - I cleared out what I thought was most of the map 100% and...total game map completion is 50% :o Was wondering how this was a 40 hour game since I'm around 21 hours. Should finish the chapter I'm on tomorrow which story-wise seems like the end of the episodic chapters. Will be interesting to see where the game goes for the 2nd half.

At this point the story & cast are pretty good and I'm mainly playing to see where the story goes which is a first for a Ys game. This is definitely more a Kiseki/Trails game that Adol just happened to wander into than it is a Ys. Closer to something like Tokyo Xanadu story-focused action rpg. I'm ok with this because I haven't liked Ys games in a while and I generally like the Trails games. I enjoyed Tokyo Xanadu a lot.

The biggest issue with the plot that I'm having is because I have paid zero fucking attention to the plot of previous Ys games, I have no idea what the worldview setting is with the different countries and religions and all that stuff and the story in this leans pretty heavily into that. I think I'm gonna hit the Ys wiki tonight and see if I can make some more sense of this. The in-game journal is good for descriptions of all the people you meet in the game, but there's no page for locations/settings/worldview in the journal.

*edit* ok, maybe that was a bad idea. Already hit some spoilers for Ys IX. Probably wouldn't recommend reading the Ys wiki until after playing it.
But the setting does make more sense now. The whole weird alt-history roman empire thing Ys has always had going always just came across as really stupid to me. Seems like Ys IX's story is still in-character for the political/religion stuff that's been on-going along the games, just it's presented more legit like a trails game, so now it works instead of being a dumb throwaway plot in the background.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 03:24:53 PM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #35385 on: July 20, 2020, 02:58:08 AM »
Ok, yeah Ys IX is moving now towards the endgame. Definitely going to end up as the best story in a Ys game.

At the same time I don't know how much credit I can give Falcom for just doing the same story structure over and over. They just took the Trails story structure of:

New region with political instability issues
New supernatural/sci-fi/fantasy mystery related to past history
Chapter by Chapter run sidequests for NPCs and develop the region, the cast and sneak in bits of hints and more info about the political story & supernatural/sci-fi/fantasy story
Find out that the political story & fantasy story are interconnected
Eventually build up to a big climax where shit goes down with both stories coming together at once and it's exciting
Have a good finish
the end

That is like...every Trails game! Ys IX is just them popping the formula into Ys and instead of a full country region it's just a big capital city. Which isn't thaat different than the Crossbell games though the scale is still smaller. Then just switch up the turn-based dungeons/bosses for Ys dungeons/bosses and add some collectibles around the city and call it a day.

At the end of the day, I can't bitch too much because I enjoy this formula and enjoy the games. But it is getting a little old and I wish Falcom would change things up more in their story structure.

Anyhow, the climax stuff is pretty good so far, so just hoping this has a good satisfying finish at this point.

*edit* though the casts really make the games standout. Really enjoying the main party cast and support NPC cast by endgame. Better cast than Trails of Cold Steel, though not as good as Sky/Crossbell just because it's smaller scope and just one game. But great stuff. Will be the most memorable cast in a Ys game for a while.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 05:40:20 AM by Bebpo »

Thirty-Ought-Six

« Reply #35386 on: July 20, 2020, 04:44:53 AM »
Beat Doom 2016. I'm not a FPS fan but this was fucking amazing.

The sheer hectic speed is what made it work for me. You stop moving, you die, so you regularly pull things off like going into a full sprint away from a pack of demons, double jumping and spinning around to blow a demon away with a shotgun in midair. Super shotgun is perfect for playing like that, but my favorite weapon turned out to be the remote detonation rocket launcher. Adding the extra element of timing detonations on top of all the chaos is great. Plus it's the only weapon that seemed universally good. Running/jumping speed, crowd control, single big target, fast target, slow target, front-armored target, close or long range, it does everything.

The only real complaint I have is that there could have been more level variety.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35387 on: July 20, 2020, 10:29:32 AM »
if you enjoyed 2016 you will cum to Eternal
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #35388 on: July 20, 2020, 10:40:25 AM »
if you enjoyed 2016 you will cum to Eternal

Not really though
What

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #35389 on: July 20, 2020, 04:30:53 PM »
Margs

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35390 on: July 20, 2020, 07:21:55 PM »
Played some Mirror's Edge Catalyst as I'm going through my backlog.

They absolutely nailed the movement in this game and it has the same vibe and visual style as the original with some tweaks to modernize it.
The OST is also quite stellar and I love how they've improved the Runners Vision. First I felt bad about skipping out on this before... but all these great systems are in service of a mediocre game.

It just has your typical open world orb collectibles, chip collectibles, another type of chip collectibles and a number of challenges and delivery missions scattered throughout the open world map.
You have to do some side stuff to get EXP and unlock skills to progress but you can't unlock most things until you do certain story missions. After playing the intro and one 'real' mission, the completion rate is already at 9% for the story.

So yeah, what has a ton of potential considering how they nailed the controls and other systems is limited by very poor combat (it seems like I can no longer steal guns like in the first) and a mostly empty boring map with similar events.
I'll probably run through the story, but man this really is a missed opportunity that I assume killed off the franchise.
🤴

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35391 on: July 20, 2020, 09:08:03 PM »
the story levels are as good or better than what was in the original, and that's what really counts. the hub map is dull because you'll be running the same few paths and the story itself is trash, but the game is good where it matters. shame it bombed.
pcp

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #35392 on: July 20, 2020, 10:26:44 PM »
Forager
Crafting/building/light dungeoneering with clicker-like pacing. Turns out this is an unholy combination. I had a really hard time tearing myself away. Only 'woke up' when the "played 3 hours" achievement popped up.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #35393 on: July 20, 2020, 10:58:56 PM »
Finished up A Plague Tale on game pass and liked it a lot. Plays a bit clunky and linear, but was gorgeous and they kept stacking gameplay cleverly in a way that didn't overwhelm. Lots of styles mashed up, but mainly puzzle combat? There were a few parts that gave Ico vibes. Hear they are doing a sequel as well and I am day one on that.

PROTIP throwing is WAY quicker than even an upgraded sling. Makes last two chapters so much easier. Apparently the last boss gives people a lot of trouble, but if you've beaten Titan in FFXIV you will walk through.

Also looked up the studio after and see they are developing Microsoft Flight Simulator next.  :idont

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35394 on: July 20, 2020, 11:31:33 PM »
I died a bunch of times at the final boss, but it gave me trouble only in the sense that up to that point, the game kind of plays itself.
It's a very rigid game unfortunately, i wish it allowed you to play around with the systems more, be creative, take different paths in the map; whereas you usually just have to follow the indicators and go through the obvious puzzles.
Story and gameplay are sort of whatever, but the atmosphere and soundtrack are really well done.

benjipwns

« Reply #35395 on: July 20, 2020, 11:47:10 PM »
was cruising along in Tumblestone and ran right into a difficulty spike and can't see any other way to do this level except for the ones that will obviously fail :idont

Bebpo

« Reply #35396 on: July 22, 2020, 01:41:59 AM »
Gonna finish Ys IX next session, but unless they really fuck up the finale, this is really good and either going to be my favorite Ys game or just behind Oath in Felghana.

It also could have easily been a mainline Kiseki/Trails entry with this being a single game story about a smaller country. Pretty much has everything you'd expect out of a mainline Trails story game. Maybe it's a bit less epic and it's missing the cast of anime villains to match up with the party protags in showdowns, but otherwise it's got great characters, a good story with lots of twists, the same great writing. It's also super backloaded like every Trails game but ehhh, it still keeps working.

It's a better story & cast than Cold Steel, so that makes up for CS4 a bit and gives me some hope in future Trails games again.

I think the biggest negative other than just being slow paced is the soundtrack is a bit bland. It's serviceable like Cold Steel 4, but the last great Falcom ost I thought was CS3 which had about 3-6 really great tracks including the final dungeon song being awesome.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35397 on: July 23, 2020, 09:03:22 AM »
Playing Kirby Super Star and going through the Great Cave Offensive at the moment.
^_^

paprikastaude

« Reply #35398 on: July 23, 2020, 09:47:08 AM »
Playing Kirby Super Star and going through the Great Cave Offensive at the moment.

Secret one of the best SNES games. Everything after has been stale af, except experiments like Kirby Mass Attack.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #35399 on: July 23, 2020, 09:39:14 PM »
Carrion is neat. Put around 3 hours on Switch. Going in I thought it would be about constantly getting bigger and more powerful but you need to change sizes a lot to use different abilities. Very Super Metroid.