Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3602281 times)

Bebpo

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #35280 on: July 02, 2020, 02:14:28 AM »
Trying to get into Outer Wilds but this game is so hard and obtuse. Keep running out of fuel/oxygen/get dead even before the 22 min cycle runs out and then have to keep flying out and trying again. I like the concept, but this is like the opposite of fun. Would rather watch someone else play on youtube.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #35281 on: July 02, 2020, 04:13:24 AM »
Trying to get into Outer Wilds but this game is so hard and obtuse.

This is kinda the point of the game. You literally have to figure out everything for yourself. The little objective screen in the spaceship gives you some clue as to where to go, but all of the mechanics you have to find out for yourself.

Try with something simple as the guy on the moon. Talk to that dude. It'll give you some pointers on the objective screen. On the next cycle you figure out one of those pointers. Game is about gathering knowledge on the system you're in.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35282 on: July 02, 2020, 04:41:15 AM »
Got back into Hitman (2016/2).

This is just one of the best games ever made, i just can't believe how fun it is.
Also plays so much more fluidly than even Blood Money.
And it's very beautifl to look at, too.

:lawd

« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 06:03:26 AM by Don Rumata »

Bebpo

« Reply #35283 on: July 02, 2020, 04:29:15 PM »
Got back into Hitman (2016/2).

This is just one of the best games ever made, i just can't believe how fun it is.
Also plays so much more fluidly than even Blood Money.
And it's very beautifl to look at, too.

:lawd

It really is one of the best games ever made. A++ love it to bits. Hitman 2 is just as good and only slightly less content.

I'm excited for #3 and will play the heck out of another 100 hours of A++ amazement, but also a little sad that's going to be it. I wish these games were selling better and they made it like a sports franchise where they just keep making the game yearly/bi-yearly forever. The formula just works so well all you need are new levels and goals and it never gets tiring.

Maybe years later I'll come back and play some custom contracts and stuff from these 3 games and keep enjoying them.

This is all assuming they don't fuck up #3, which they probably won't but you never know.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35284 on: July 02, 2020, 04:57:50 PM »
The microcosms they create are just so wonderfull to explore and see unfold, and the mix of comedy/dark stuff works perfectly.
I agree with you i'd happily take a sport-game formula, there are so many ideas for levels they could do, but i suppose creating these massive webs of AI is a massive amount of design work, and they want to put a cap on it.
Too bad, they really had perfected the Hitman formula.

Bebpo

« Reply #35285 on: July 02, 2020, 05:19:22 PM »
Yeah, the writing/dialogue is really funny. There's so much of it in every level. All these little stories going on between characters and environmental storytelling. It's very dark humor, but that works great. If it was serious I don't think I'd enjoy it as much going around murdering all these people. But as a dark comedy game it's very fun. 47's deadpan VA making puns is so great, probably one of my favorite VA performances.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #35286 on: July 02, 2020, 05:41:44 PM »
Yeah the announcement that 3 would close out the trilogy bummed me out. They probably want to work on something else, but the insane value and fun I got out of my purchase of Hitman 2 would keep me buying these games for years and years if they were up for it.

Bebpo

« Reply #35287 on: July 03, 2020, 05:42:56 PM »
Damn, BallisticNG is great. As a huge Wipeout fan and someone whose actually pretty decent at them, all these Wipeout wannabe's like Redout and stuff have felt off. This feels just like Wipeout to the point I have no idea how they are allowed to sell this without a cease & desist from Sony. It's literally the same exact game. Same powerups, same campaign layout, same everything.

But hey I'll take it since there's no new Wipeout games anymore. Plus a new Wipeout game w/modding, custom tracks and online track sharing? Awesome. I see in the mod manager there's like 200+ tracks and I'm sure if you just stick to the top 10-20 highest rated ones there will be some good tracks in there.

Still bitter that Sony killed Wipeout. HD/Fury basically saved the early PS3 drought.

Bebpo

« Reply #35288 on: July 04, 2020, 03:30:43 AM »
Getting near the end of Outer Wilds. I like it a lot, but I've probably spent 20% of my playtime waiting for the cycle to get to the right spot for a handful of puzzles. On one hand the planet changing time required puzzles are cool events/solutions, but on the other hand they're kind of tedious, especially if they take a couple of tries to pull off.

The writing's good and the story has some twists and turns.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35289 on: July 04, 2020, 10:59:55 AM »
Whittleton Creek in Hitman 2 keeps crashing to desktop. :fbm
Cursed mission.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #35290 on: July 04, 2020, 11:23:48 AM »
Whittleton Creek in Hitman 2 keeps crashing to desktop. :fbm
Cursed mission.
Dis maybe?
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Hitman_2#Issues_unresolved

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35291 on: July 04, 2020, 11:42:19 AM »
I have a 1060, so it could be. :thinking.
I'll try that hotfix when i have time.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35292 on: July 04, 2020, 12:08:00 PM »
Finally got around to playing Astral Chainvangelion.

What a great game. I love the neon animu aesthetic and it looks fantastic on my OLED.

All cops are waifu's 8)
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #35293 on: July 04, 2020, 09:46:49 PM »
Beat Outer Wilds. Interesting space adventure with some really cool puzzle concepts

spoiler (click to show/hide)
love all the quantum mechanic puzzles
[close]

And good atmosphere. 3/4ths brilliance, 1/4th tedious & frustrating. Good game, but not amazing.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #35294 on: July 04, 2020, 10:13:29 PM »
was having problems getting what i wanted done in risk of rain 2 mp and whaddya know i did it first try solo

Svejk

« Reply #35295 on: July 04, 2020, 11:44:02 PM »
Got past Mission 12 in Ace Combat 7.  :lawd

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35296 on: July 05, 2020, 07:19:47 AM »
Ended up going through the Hitman 2 mission without hotfix after all.

As a side note, i just remembered that i had to install the SSD drive in the M.2 slot under the GPU, i wonder if it had overheated (since that mission tanked my framerate).
I need to check the temps, next time i play.
They're usually a bit higher than the other M.2 slot's but they never were anything worrying so far.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #35297 on: July 05, 2020, 10:14:18 AM »
I wouldn't expect it to stream much data in a Hitman game or cause crashes when it throttles, but it can't hurt to check.

Bebpo

« Reply #35298 on: July 05, 2020, 01:36:01 PM »
Finished Trover Saves the Universe. Even at only 4-5 hours, I had to push myself through the last hour. The writing's funny and the platforming is fine, but the combat is zzzzzzzzzzz and as the worlds progress it gets less Mario 3d platformer and more God of War combat waves. There's also a lot of mini-non-level things in the last 1/3rd. Pretty much all the standard 3d platformer levels are in the first 2/3rds of the game. Kinda weird, maybe they ran out of budget.

Game would've been great if it was just a puzzle platformer without combat.

The end of the final boss was great tho.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35299 on: July 06, 2020, 12:53:49 AM »
I started playing Traysia for Genesis... it's one of those games I remember borrowing from a friend a LONG time ago (back in elementary school) but never making it too far. It's by all measures, not very good - the balance is all sorts of fucked up (you can equip multiple accessories, so buying a bunch of the "power stick" which increases your DEF and stacking it will make you practically invincible), the graphics have a grainy old Genesis aesthetic, with a sprawling interconnected world map where everything looks the same, and the UI is clunky as hell. But I'm enjoying it for whatever reason. Combat is kinda reminiscent of one of the early Ultima games, though the pathfinding AI is super clunky, and the music is probably the best part, some decent chiptunes here.

DariaPlaysRPGs has a decent video on it (I also own Sorcerer's Kingdom which I haven't played yet but am considering):
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 01:00:48 AM by tiesto »
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #35300 on: July 06, 2020, 02:46:37 AM »
So I got to the part where I need the slime key in Link's Awakening and after exploring everywhere and having no idea where to go next, looking it up

https://www.polygon.com/zelda-links-awakening-switch-guide-walkthrough/2019/9/20/20860710/slime-key-cavern-kanalet-castle-golden-leaf-richard-pothole-field-shovel

How the fuck are you supposed to figure this out on your own. This seems really unintuitive. Do a whole bunch of side stuff including a crane machine mini-game, to eventually get a banana to do another leaf collecting mini-quest, to get a dungeon key.   :doge

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #35301 on: July 06, 2020, 11:24:49 AM »
Playing way too much of the new trackmania. It's very much like the old ones, but I paid for it anyway.  :brain

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35302 on: July 06, 2020, 11:33:41 AM »
Playing way too much of the new trackmania. It's very much like the old ones, but I paid for it anyway.  :brain
I played some of the free version.
fun as usual, great graphics and i like the ice ground (didn't remember it from the old ones).
The new car design looks horrid though.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #35303 on: July 06, 2020, 06:20:57 PM »
after like fucking 20 min we all thought i finally had it...

https://streamable.com/90vxs5

>:(

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #35304 on: July 06, 2020, 09:57:03 PM »
Deadly Premonition is still awesome. 8)
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #35305 on: July 07, 2020, 12:13:51 AM »
So I got to the part where I need the slime key in Link's Awakening and after exploring everywhere and having no idea where to go next, looking it up

https://www.polygon.com/zelda-links-awakening-switch-guide-walkthrough/2019/9/20/20860710/slime-key-cavern-kanalet-castle-golden-leaf-richard-pothole-field-shovel

How the fuck are you supposed to figure this out on your own. This seems really unintuitive. Do a whole bunch of side stuff including a crane machine mini-game, to eventually get a banana to do another leaf collecting mini-quest, to get a dungeon key.   :doge

So I went ahead and did this and this was actually all pretty straight forward other than the very first step that requires you to win the yoshi doll in the crane game, since those kind of mini-games in zelda are typically just optional stuff and not plot required.

That crane game was pretty bs though. Trying to get the heart container in it is ><

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #35306 on: July 07, 2020, 08:27:35 AM »
Fired up Lost Oddysey on the bone xtreme and played an hour or so, and shed REAL GAMER TEARS at that first dream :shh

I’d not touched it since it came out and forgot how good the music is :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice
(ice)

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #35307 on: July 07, 2020, 09:07:41 AM »
Just 100% Spongebob rehydrated. Just like I remember it. An average collectathon platformer but good use of the license. Spongebob > Last of Us: Part Deux

Had fun.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #35308 on: July 07, 2020, 09:27:52 AM »
I hope you feel good about yourself helping fund one of the worlds biggest child sex trafficking rings :hmph
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35309 on: July 07, 2020, 07:26:08 PM »
Playing C&C Remastered The Covert Operations GDI missions.

They really pulled out all the stops in terms of getting creative with the units, map lay-outs and AI in these missions.
Sometimes you can only beat a mission by tricking the AI into targeting certain units so your handful of infantry isn't burned by flame tanks.

Still outside of obvious events and triggers, the AI feels less scripted than in the regular campaign.
🤴

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #35310 on: July 09, 2020, 12:04:25 AM »
Finally playing Spider-Man.

It’s really good. Has the same compelling “just one more sub-mission” feeling that I had when I played Viva Piñata. That’s dangerous. I end up playing much longer than I think I have.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35311 on: July 09, 2020, 12:06:02 PM »
Finished the final GDI Mission of Covert Operations.

This one is not as hard as NOD 11 but still quite challenging.
First you need to clear out two bases with the Commando.

As the mission starts 2 flame troops rush towards you, which you have to immediately take out in order not to get torched within a second.
Next, you have to attack the NOD base, which is quite well defended. If you are lucky this leaves you with your commando half in tact.
The biggest gripe with these commando missions is the enemies that spawn randomly after you destroy a building. They shoot immediately after the building explodes.
In this case you have to take out a turret, about 20 more soldiers and of course the 2 SAM sites.

Anyway, once you've cleared out the SAMs you get a few engineers to capture the buildings but you don't have any credits.
So next you have to sell a few buildings so you can train some infantry. Because all the way to the left is another heavily fortified base.

With a half dead commando and  the little troops you can afford you have to capture that as well. The hard part here is an active Obelisk placed strategically above the entrance.
The solution is to walk over the Tiberium (which damages your troops), destroy 2 turrets and break the wall with a few rockets all while dodging the Obelisk (which in C&C has a crazy range).
Once that's done, again send in the Commando, kill the troops in the base and evade the Obelisk (and Harvester) to take out the remaining SAM sites. This unlocks the airstrike, so you can take out the Obelisk.
I had to do this part like 10 times, because every time the Harvester would run over my troops trying to take out the turrets and wall.

At that point you can capture the refinery for some credits and slowly train enough engineers to capture the rest of the base and destroy the remaining buildings.
Now comes the real mission. You're given 1 transport helicopter to move across an impassible river with your troops to capture yet another NOD outpost, which you need to take down two more bases,
One base keeps sending tanks, the other a large number of troops and even engineers to recapture your small and outgunned outpost. If the Commando is still alive at this point he'll likely be executed
by a helicopter which occasionally drops by to pick off your troops.

This was some intense shit  :whew
🤴

BisMarckie

« Reply #35312 on: July 10, 2020, 08:34:47 PM »
I said a couple of weeks ago that I had no interest in buying and replaying Persona 4?

Guess who bought that game?  :doge

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35313 on: July 10, 2020, 09:42:24 PM »
i finished RDR2 and i kind of want to start over and play it again. i feel like this is the game i've been waiting for rockstar to make since i first played gta3. it finally feels like they made a cohesive world and i fucking love it. and i'm so happy they got some new writers because the game feels better with most of the embarrassing juvenile humor toned down.
pcp

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35314 on: July 11, 2020, 03:12:49 PM »
i finished RDR2 and i kind of want to start over and play it again. i feel like this is the game i've been waiting for rockstar to make since i first played gta3. it finally feels like they made a cohesive world and i fucking love it. and i'm so happy they got some new writers because the game feels better with most of the embarrassing juvenile humor toned down.
You and me both.
I sympathize with the critique at the rigid mission design and more or less bad aiming control, but overall, i think it's the best game they've made, and what GTAIV(and RDR1) tried to be but failed at.
Also one of my favorite this gen.

BisMarckie

« Reply #35315 on: July 11, 2020, 03:49:55 PM »
The pacing though, the pacing... :notlikethis

Said the guy who pressed A for 2 hours before anything happens in P4G.  :doge

Bebpo

« Reply #35316 on: July 11, 2020, 05:05:58 PM »
I still think RDR1's my favorite rockstar game, but it might've been the novelty. I also think the story is more straight-forward and better told though without the deeper character development nuances of RDR2. Sorta like Last of Us 1's story vs Last of Us's 2 story.

But RDR2 is a better "game" no doubt. Much better gameplay, better map, more stuff to do.

But I also really liked GTAV. The gameplay and world were amazing and I enjoyed the cast/story. Tough to decide between these 3 games.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35317 on: July 11, 2020, 05:15:39 PM »
i think the pacing for the main storyline was pretty great. much better than previous R* games that were filled with "hey go do something absolutely insane for me for very little compensation" "ok sure!" i sympathize with people who can't get into the games deliberate pacing tho, because a lot of it is very much an "our way or no way" kind of thing, but if you are ok with it man is it fun. the story, the sidequests, the various activities, the light sim aspects, all fit together in a way that makes sense in the context of the world they built and it was super easy for me to get absorbed in it. the little touches like interactive dialog with everyone, or the bethesda-like stories and easter eggs scattered around, made it feel like so much more than running-to-the-checkpoint type of game. it took me two weeks to finish and i can't remember the last time i blazed through a game that fast.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
"you're a good man, arthur morgan"

[close]

soon as i finished i popped in undead nightmare since i've never played it, and i'm gonna replay RDR1 next.
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35318 on: July 11, 2020, 05:19:03 PM »
see i liked RDR1 a lot, but so much of it still felt like the random rambling wackiness of GTA and i thought it didn't fit great with the setting. RDR2 saved that stuff for some of the stranger stories and the movies and whatnot and i much preferred that. also in 1 it really bugged me how hard it was to get away from npcs. it very rarely felt like you were wandering in the middle of nowhere. 2 though you can get deep in the swamps or mountains and it really helps with that hunt to survive mechanic they have.
pcp

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #35319 on: July 11, 2020, 06:06:36 PM »
Yeah there's still a bunch of wacky stuff and weird characters in RDR1 that don't really fit the world. But I guess that was a different period for Rockstar. Personally I think GTA V and RDR2 are really the best games they have ever made. I have such a huge appreciation for how rich those worlds feel. The gameplay isn't always perfect. But the story and how the games draw you in really is something that most games cannot top.
What

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35320 on: July 11, 2020, 06:33:48 PM »
The pacing though, the pacing... :notlikethis

Said the guy who pressed A for 2 hours before anything happens in P4G.  :doge
Pace of the main story is fine.
It's a long game, so you gotta accept that aspect, but beyond that, it justifies itself better than the predecessor, because it doesn't really have a ticking time bomb style plot, you're asked to go around explore the surroundings of your camp and just do stuff.
In RDR1 you're supposed to hunt people on the run, and you stop 10 hours to do chores and cart races for the Snake Oil Salesman in the middle of the game.
The common complaint is you pour money into the camp and little changes, but i see that more as the game not being annoyingly punishing, giving you more money they they should.

Also like Positive Touch said, they relegated the (awful) R* wacky humor to side quests only, which is a godsend.

paprikastaude

« Reply #35321 on: July 11, 2020, 07:45:54 PM »
When I got the R* downloader with San Andreas last year I immediately remembered how I can't stand that GTA gameplay, at least PS2 era - despite wanting to like it for the settings. But I'm about to replay Chinatown Wars first time in a decade, I really liked 2D GTA back in the day. Or maybe it's the setting. Perhaps I should also try Sleepy Dawgs.

Bebpo

« Reply #35322 on: July 11, 2020, 08:45:30 PM »
Got dungeon #7 in Eagle Tower in Link's Awakening, which meant doing a lot of the side stuff like getting the ocarina and songs and flying rooster and I finished the trading quest and got the boomerang since I thought the trading questline was what I was supposed to be doing. Feel like I'm pretty close to the end with most of the map cleaned up and just these 2 dungeons left.

Should finish it next time I play. Like it a lot so far although Dungeon #5 with the Hookshot where you have to fight the skeleton guy 4 times and go through basically the entire dungeon without being able to do anything until you get the hookshot was really really tediously annoying. Rest of the dungeons have been great. Bosses were baby easy until around dungeon #5 and difficulty picked up and been fine since.

I do wish there were more interesting dungeon items. The game started really original with the jump feather and adding dash for dash jump, but when dungeon #6 was just "slightly stronger bracelet" I'm kinda hmmm.

Bebpo

« Reply #35323 on: July 11, 2020, 08:47:27 PM »
Maybe it's just because it was so long ago I don't remember, but I don't remember RDR1 being anymore "wacky" than RDR2? I remember RDR1 being this really good serious story and having side strangers that were wacky...which is how it is in RDR2.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35324 on: July 11, 2020, 09:25:32 PM »
a lot of the first part of the game especially is the wacky stuff. there's a whole section where you're either taking quests from the snake oil salesman, or the necrophiliac, or some other weirdo i forgot.

i went and played Undead Nightmare, and it was....eh. fun idea and all, but it falls flat with the gameplay. every town is infested with zombies and you have to fight off waves of them to be able to save, quick travel, or get ammo. there's 20 towns and it gets real old real fast. you can ignore some of them, but the main storyline isn't much better, with lots of fetch quests or even more fights against zombie waves. it's not awful or anything, it's just not varied enough to make it worthwhile. oh well.

decided to wait on RDR1 and went for Catherine instead since my 360's hooked up. what the fuck is up with the sound design in this? terrible audio levels across the board, no subtitles, and that damn bell never stops. game seems alright but i'll have to play in spurts to avoid getting too annoyed.
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #35325 on: July 11, 2020, 10:20:52 PM »
Yeah, Undead Nightmare wasn't very good. I think the whole "zombies!!!!" craze of videogame modes was pretty lame with the occasional thing where it worked. Glad the industry is mostly past that.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35326 on: July 11, 2020, 10:25:33 PM »
cries in left for dead 3
pcp

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #35327 on: July 11, 2020, 10:40:22 PM »
Red Dead Redemption 1 totally has freaks as every character in the game. Act 1 in RDR1 is John recruiting a snake oil swindler, a corpse robber schizophrenic, an alcoholic, and a sheriff to take over a fort. The game feels uneven tonally, serious moments and character building in between very spaghetti western story beats.

RDR2 is so much more subdued and it works, it works spectacularly well. Characters feel like they live in the world they inhabit, rather than serving a purpose for storytelling or plot. In general, RDR2 has legitimate story themes, Arthur Morgan is probably the best protagonist this gen, and the best protagonist in any Rockstar game (besides Max Payne).

I remember rushing thru RDR1 when it came out, and I truthfully didn't really dig it until the ending. The more I replayed it, the more I appreciated about it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 10:45:52 PM by mormapope »
OH!

Bebpo

« Reply #35328 on: July 12, 2020, 02:32:03 AM »
Finished Link's Awakening (switch). Never played the original, so first time going through. Pretty impressed for a gameboy game how content filled and deep this was. I was expecting a simple short zelda, but this is basically about the same quality as Link to the Past. It's a good game, the first half is kinda of baby easy but the second half really ramps up the puzzles and bosses get more challenging to figure out. Liked the final boss, but yeah some parts felt like I had to use a guide because they were so obscure. Like you get to the final dungeon in Wind Fish Egg and it's like "OK NOW WHAT"  and then it's like ohhh did you get the magnifying glass? Did you go back to the libary and look at the new book? Did you write down the coded guide?  :doge

Enjoyed the side scrolling bits and references from other games.

Anyhow as a remake from what I saw of the original, this seems pretty damn good and faithful. Great art style.

Story/setting-wise this feels like such a Ys game lol. Swap Adol for Link and it'd work as a Ys game no problem story-wise.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35329 on: July 12, 2020, 07:11:41 AM »
Finished Link's Awakening (switch). Never played the original, so first time going through. Pretty impressed for a gameboy game how content filled and deep this was. I was expecting a simple short zelda, but this is basically about the same quality as Link to the Past. It's a good game, the first half is kinda of baby easy but the second half really ramps up the puzzles and bosses get more challenging to figure out. Liked the final boss, but yeah some parts felt like I had to use a guide because they were so obscure. Like you get to the final dungeon in Wind Fish Egg and it's like "OK NOW WHAT"  and then it's like ohhh did you get the magnifying glass? Did you go back to the libary and look at the new book? Did you write down the coded guide?  :doge

Enjoyed the side scrolling bits and references from other games.

Anyhow as a remake from what I saw of the original, this seems pretty damn good and faithful. Great art style.

Story/setting-wise this feels like such a Ys game lol. Swap Adol for Link and it'd work as a Ys game no problem story-wise.
Yes, a fantastic game and it looks so good.

Such a wholesome game  :heart

Anyhow the Covert Operations NOD missions are getting crazy now.
I have to recover my stolen MCV from inside an enemy base with a single stealth tank. This feels like some Fast & Furious style heist.
During my last attempt I got the MCV but then I couldn't get my economy running fast enough so my base just got rolled by relentless GDI attacks.
I rage quit for the day when their engineers captured my refinery  :lol
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #35330 on: July 12, 2020, 03:35:57 PM »
Tried out Doom64. Never played it. The level design seems really good early on. Pretty surprised how puzzle focused it is. I don't remember the original Doom I/II being like that but I haven't played them in 20+ years so idk. This almost feels more a puzzle game than action game.

Bebpo

« Reply #35331 on: July 12, 2020, 04:16:05 PM »
Tried out Dicey Dungeons. Cleared a run with the starting character and doing a run with the thief now. It’s good, but it’s a bit too slow in progression for me. My time is valuable and I’d rather have glass cannon rogue games where they get hard and kill you fast but if you win you can knock out a run fairly quick. Slower run rogues feel like games made for people who have jobs where they can multi-task and run these all day in a window while they’re working.

That said, great music and style as all his games have. Super Hexagon wasn’t really my thing, so I still like vvvvvv the best, but Dicey Dungeons seems pretty good if I was willing to spend the time.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35332 on: July 12, 2020, 05:06:47 PM »
Played some Pixel Ripped 1989

I like the vibe of this game. Gets you back to those days of being a little kid playing your handheld.
Especially nice when the 'real' world mixes with the game world and you sort of get these 3D VR platform segments that appear outside of your handheld.

The 2D game of the first level was very basic though, hopefully that improves as well. The concept is certainly executed very well.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #35333 on: July 12, 2020, 06:03:04 PM »
Actually kept playing Dicey Dungeons. I like how varied the characters are, really feels like a different game with each. Cleared the first 4, gonna see if I can clear all 6 characters first run.

Bebpo

« Reply #35334 on: July 12, 2020, 09:57:38 PM »
Ok, beat it with the 5 characters not counting the hidden character. Witch is pretty hard and kinda RNG. The Kraken is awful and the hardest enemy for the Witch. Took me about 2 hours of tries to beat her run. Started on the 2nd episodes and did the Knight one w/curse every round. Was alright. Was hoping the bosses would be different each episode, but I guess they're the same fights but with variations and that's it. Probably good on the game at this point. Pretty good stuff. Not quite a Slay the Spire, but solid card based rogue.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35335 on: July 12, 2020, 10:05:39 PM »
Tried out Doom64. Never played it. The level design seems really good early on. Pretty surprised how puzzle focused it is. I don't remember the original Doom I/II being like that but I haven't played them in 20+ years so idk. This almost feels more a puzzle game than action game.

yeah the game is much heavier on the puzzles than the pc games. personally i unironically fucking love the game. the slower gameplay, the great atmosphere and soundtrack, and the large number of hell levels made the game extremely memorable for me. very happy that it got brought back from obscurity.
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #35336 on: July 13, 2020, 04:00:39 AM »
Started playing Ys IX because coming off Link's Awakening I felt like I wanted to play Ys.

I'd been putting off starting this because I don't like modern Ys that much and really didn't care for YsVIII or Celceta, plus after Falcom shitting the bed with Cold Steel 4 expectations are low for them right now.

But...uh, YsIX is great? Like it's still not an amazing game because rock/paper/scissors party system Ys just is never going to be, but for a post-YsVII game this seems pretty good. The combat feels good and maybe best yet of those games, the dungeons feel like dungeons, there's an actual party again where you make a team of three out of what looks like it'll be six characters, an actual plot and characters, and best of all the vertical traversal options really benefit the dungeons by making a lot of fun exploring and platforming to find hidden chests and get good loot.

Adol starts off with a grappling hook which can grapple set points around town and in dungeons and each time a new party member joins you get their traversal abilities added. So like the first party member gives you running up walls. So being able to grapple around and run up walls they start doing cool things with hiding chests so you need to use your mini-map and look around and figure out platforming ways to them. It also makes Falcom be more detailed with the level design so you can't break the level and get up somewhere too easily.

There's still a bit of tower defense, but it seems really, really minor in the scheme of the game compared to VIII. The main city is a bunch of sections and you have invisible walls blocking them off until the story gets to them. You unlock them with a short tower defense bit and then once unlocked you can traverse the whole unlocked areas of the city without any loading between them and getting around is easy and fun. There's also quick respawning 30-60 second battles you can trigger with no loading by running into battle nodes in the city and beating them gives you a chance to get a chest with loot.

Music is solid. The character models in IX are probably the best yet for Ys, but the environment still looks pretty dated. Runs well enough and almost no loads (just when going in houses for about 2 seconds).

About 6 hours in on hard.

Svejk

« Reply #35337 on: July 13, 2020, 07:10:13 AM »
Tried that Mortal Shell beta....  Couldn't even get past the beginning tutorial before uninstalling.  The hardening mechanic was an instant turn off.  I'm sure there's a pun there somewhere.

Up to Mission 16 on Ace Combat 7.  I want to get the majority of the planes, but I don't think I'm willing to go for that much of a grind.  I have been picking up and playing the multiplayer from time to time just to rack up some munz...

Got the Frozen Wilds DLC on the current sale.  Game still looks gorgeous.... As detailed and well captured the characters are, still don't care for them.  I just want to go hunt some bots.  Besides the sequel, I'm looking forward to what mods are planned for the PC version.  It's probably a safe bet, but I'd like to see 2B in this.... Would feel fitting. 

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35338 on: July 13, 2020, 09:22:24 AM »
Made it to the final chapter in Traysia - the game is still super broken because the enemies still aren't damaging me (as I've been able to keep up with purchasing equipment), but some of the scenario is really cool - like a giant city made up of 13 towns, each further underground... with a plot you need to piece together by discussing with the NPCs (and trying to parse a fairly poor translation), wherein a group of wizards manipulated the city's noblemen to keep pushing further and further underground, eventually the enslaved citizens ran up against curses (turned to stone) and uncovered ghosts and other horrors down there. Still not the greatest game but interesting enough and super obscure for an English-released RPG.
^_^

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #35339 on: July 13, 2020, 04:20:47 PM »
Finally finished TLOU2, and now playing Paper Mario Origami Killer or whatever it's called. About 5 hours in and I am enjoying it so far. Never played the first one, so had no real expectations.