Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3591933 times)

demi and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Bebpo

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #35220 on: June 16, 2020, 01:01:58 AM »
I tried Sky Rogue but it was so slow for an arcade style flight shooter. I was expecting exciting ace combat and it felt closer to flight simulator. Not sure if you just start with a slow plane, but I kept trying to hit a boost button that didn't exist.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35221 on: June 16, 2020, 05:00:20 PM »
Somehow never got around to playing Resident Evil 7, so I got the Gold Edition at a sale for the Xbox One X.

This is some intense shit. I like it a lot   8)
🤴

BisMarckie

« Reply #35222 on: June 16, 2020, 05:22:33 PM »
Somehow never got around to playing Resident Evil 7, so I got the Gold Edition at a sale for the Xbox One X.

This is some intense shit. I like it a lot   8)

Played RE7 in VR. Talk about intense, especially for me who doesn't really deal with horror games all that well  :doge

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #35223 on: June 16, 2020, 06:04:18 PM »
Going through Last of Us. Hope I can have it done by friday so I can actually compare both gameplay and story with the sequel.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #35224 on: June 16, 2020, 06:07:13 PM »
first time?
What

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #35225 on: June 16, 2020, 10:32:33 PM »
Damnation
...is a TPS set in an alternate reality US where the civil war lasted decades, steam engines prevailed over combustion engines, natives have lay-on-hands healing powers, precognition (and ridiculous outfits), an evil industrialist fascist has taken over control of the nation, is working everyone to death aided by a green go-juice - which, when abused, turns people into berserking lobotomites - and where everything is just fuck-huge.

Many levels are set in mile-deep canyons. One features a 10-storey high golden statue as part of an aqueduct. Another a locomotive the size of a scyscaper laid onto train wheels. Artillery pieces with barrels the size of a coal plant's smoke-stacks. The only place that seems to have any green vegetation left (called Terra Verte :doge) looks like something out of the prequel trilogy, complete with a Poseidon statue guarding its harbour which would fit neatly into any old God of War game.

It can't escape the polished-turdness of PS360-era Unreal Engine 3, or the prevailing brownness of the era. The textures are muddy, animations too stiff, and post-processing effects overbearing, but its art is remarkable nonetheless. Perhaps the only thing that is remarkable about it.

With this grand scale comes a lot of verticality and some edge-grabbing, ledge-shimmying platforming and even the occasional light puzzles that would not feel out of place in a classic Tomb Raider game.

The weapons feel and sound awful, enemies are stupid, boring high speed bike-rides down empty tunnels, terrible turret sections, bad boss fights, uneven voice-acting, etc. All of which makes it a 'bad game', but I enjoyed my time clicking heads in Will Smith's Wild Wild 40K.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/12790/screenshots/

Dark Void
Another TPS. Another alternate reality. Not nearly as much scene-setting. You play as Nolan North William, a cargo pilot whose next job re-unites him with his ex, Ava. Ava fails to mention that she is part of a secret society, or that their course over the Bermuda Triangle will see them crash land on and in the titular Void - a place 'in-between' - to join the fight against the Goa'uld Locust Watchers. An alien race that was banished there by their own creations, but covertly manipulates events on earth to eventually fascilitate their escape. Someone was chosen to stop their meddling and prevent their return. Nikola Tesla! You're protecting him. And using his toys. And you're the chosen, actually. Of course you are. You're also an "adept", because your plot armour needed an explanation that only raises more questions.

This one has a cover system, but with a twist. Chest-high walls - ...on the walls! At first, you can only 'take cover' at certain edges, i.e. you peer over to shoot, and descend very gracefully, one platform/cover at a time. But that is not this game's draw, no. It's the jet pack, which not only allows you climb chest-high cover, but also to fly not unlike a jet and get into dogfights with alien gyroscopes and even capture them.

The genre-blend works really well once you have your full capabilities. You might start in the sky, land on a structure, do some objectives inside, and then take to the skies again to shoot down more "hubcabs." Sadly, there are not many opportunities for this back and forth, as the game hurries toward its conclusion (ran out of money, I'm guessing), this structure is abandoned in favour of long stretches of boring indoor fighting, and a very long stretch of boring flying. Decent game nonetheless. They had something.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35226 on: June 16, 2020, 11:45:19 PM »
Continuing with the Master System playthroughs...

Been playing a bunch of Alex Kidd in Shinobi World. It's a short game, and not really that difficult... today I made it to what seems to be the room right before the final boss. So I feel I can definitely beat this one soon after a few more tries. The game only takes about 20 min to get through, it's crazy short. But pretty fun, it's got tighter control than the other games in the series and a lot of people call it the series best. Though it's length and lack of challenge could be seen as a negative.

Also did a quick replay of Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap. I made it to the final boss when I first got my SMS, but never actually beat him even after multiple attempts. This time I'm determined to do it for reals.

After that it's time to play some Turbo - namely Neutopia and Xak III (PCEWorks fan translation)
^_^

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #35227 on: June 17, 2020, 12:00:24 AM »
I also enjoyed the 007 Legends game which felt like it was probably based on the same engine. In fact I might play that if I can find a crack in 2020.
I'm pretty sure 007 Legends is basically a Call of Duty mod.

Still failed so hard it killed off Eurocom.

EDIT: I infact did not realize you can upscale on PCSX2 and played RA in muddied ass 480p :lol Also weirdly the higher I uprez in Spiderman 2, the more the graphical glitches ease at the expense of framerate though. But I have it running at 3x the resolution and it plays at pretty much 60 :leon I didn't realize PS2 games could look this good
PS2 games are similar to GCN except even worse as they often had lower than 480p resolutions. We seem to constantly be having consoles that can stream content for graphics faster than they can draw frames adequately at what we consider good resolutions. Dreamcast and Xbox were the only consoles that generation in which every game would run at 480p IIRC.

PS2 especially can be the case as some of the games are on DVD-9 and have like 5-6GB worth of stuff like textures, etc. streamed but the game is in 480i or something. God of War 2 comes to mind. You can get bullshot quality on lots of them because all the bullshots were the game being run at some higher resolution on the devkits. One of the GOWs even has that progressive scan code you can enter. (Heck, even the PSP games upscale pretty well.)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 12:23:27 AM by benjipwns »

Bebpo

« Reply #35228 on: June 17, 2020, 03:12:18 AM »

Played through Dungeons & Lesbians from the Itch.io bundle. It was pretty cute and funny. Reminded me of some people I know haha. Was short around 20-30 mins first playthrough and then a few mins for the other branches. Some nice music and font choices.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #35229 on: June 17, 2020, 07:24:37 PM »

so

close

pls let me get that finale win tomorrow

i can die happy

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #35230 on: June 17, 2020, 07:36:52 PM »
What do you get at lvl 10
What

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #35231 on: June 17, 2020, 07:48:35 PM »
I get to say I was there.  :gaben

Spent 3,5k hours in this fucking game, so getting the highest level both in the official matchmaking (which about half the people I play with did) and on faceit (which is quite a bit harder) would be very cummy.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #35232 on: June 18, 2020, 05:45:01 PM »
It fucking happened. i want to thank god, my mom, my father who was never there, the smooth crew, god, my record label, and my manager jeff

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #35233 on: June 18, 2020, 06:01:54 PM »
What a boss
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35234 on: June 20, 2020, 09:25:49 AM »
Played some Oni Will of Wisps

Very beautiful and wholesome but not very challenging so far
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35235 on: June 20, 2020, 09:54:45 AM »
Played some Oni Will of Wisps

Very beautiful and wholesome but not very challenging so far
about as challenging as the first one, maybe a tad less.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35236 on: June 20, 2020, 10:30:11 AM »
Its not challenging - I played it on Hard mode too
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #35237 on: June 22, 2020, 10:50:27 PM »
Pretty far through Trover Saves the Universe and some parts of this game get me rolling.

There's a part I just did where you can accidently kill an NPC and then the MC goes on a rant of why the fuck did you do that, you broke the game, now you can't trigger the next event and you need to quit and start over, wtf is wrong with you, don't kill that guy.

(and you actually have to quit and reload because you broke the game)

I hadn't watched Rick & Morty until I started playing this, but this has got me going through S1 of that because Trover is pretty damn funny. Decent platformer too, reminds me of Psychonauts but less ambitious and more traditional 3d platformer. Plays really well in VR and alright without.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35238 on: June 23, 2020, 12:04:21 AM »
Finally beat Dragon's Trap and Alex Kidd in Shinobi World this weekend.
Pretty far along in Xak III, it's like a darker, more MACHOOR Ys with much worse music and a slightly slower pace. The fan translation is somewhat shitty and the translator tries to shove his shitty pro-republican opinions in there.
^_^

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #35239 on: June 23, 2020, 01:59:53 AM »
fired up Siege again

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #35240 on: June 23, 2020, 03:06:10 PM »
Took me fucking 40 hours to finish TLOU2. Loved it though.

Now back to finish another game with a deeply emotional and heart-wrenching story…

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Kingdom Hearts III
[close]
Margs

paprikastaude

« Reply #35241 on: June 24, 2020, 11:04:54 PM »
Man those last two or three stages in Doom Eternal became an exercise in tedium. Before that it was alright, but then I just couldn't care anymore, especially with those lame ass bosses. Overall, it had several improvements over the predecessor, but they put way too much modern game shit in this. Bloated with horrendous tutorials, visual clutter, a gazillion samey mechanics mapped to unintuitive button prompts, completely useless RPG sub-sub-sub-systems, etc. There was room for improvement in 2016 and I was hoping for several things they did, like more platforming and stage variety, but then they just went overboard and killed the gameplay purity of the reboot.

paprikastaude

« Reply #35242 on: June 26, 2020, 01:37:54 AM »
Picked up Contra a couple of times the past few days on DS during home office. Didn't really aim for it, but got a no-death-run :win
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 12:53:26 PM by Spieler1 »

archnemesis

« Reply #35243 on: June 26, 2020, 03:33:48 AM »
Firewatch (PC) is another good walking simulator. I was hooked from the start and it doesn't overstay its welcome.

Cosmic Star Heroine (NSW) is an homage to old RPGs like Chrono Trigger and Phantasy Star. Despite having excellent sprite work, solid music, and a deep combat system it's not fun. The story, characters, and pop culture references gives a fanfic vibe that overshadows everything else.

I decided to give Glass Masquerade (NSW) a try after reading a recommendation for it. It's a visually stunning relaxing puzzle game where you piece together glass mosaic. Such a simple concept and yet surprisingly awesome. I'll pick up the sequel in a few months when I feel like revisiting the idea.

Having never played a Phoenix Wright game I picked up the trilogy for the Switch. The first game is fantastic. I didn't expect high quality writing in an almost 20 year old video game released for a console generally targeting kids.

Playing through Detroit: Become Human (PS4) will probably take me three months, but I'm thoroughly enjoying every moment of it. Especially after watching Westworld and reading many  scifi novels recently. I can't wait to see what Quantic Dream releases for the PS5.

Yoku's Island Express (NSW) is another game that I would never have discovered by myself. The concept of pinball platforming might sound weird, but everything about it is great. I'm playing it in short bursts since getting all the collectibles requires accurate timing and pinpoint precision. It's even made by a tiny studio in my home town.

Bebpo

« Reply #35244 on: June 26, 2020, 11:06:21 AM »
Yeah, I finally sat down the other day to play the free PS+ copy of Detroit since I needed to clear HDD space for Last of Us II and it was taking up a bunch. Only played like an hour myself, but it was better than expected and visually looked really nice and polished. Plus I like branching in games. Will probably get back to it. Have finished all their games since Fahrenheit because they usually look nice and are at least compelling/interesting.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #35245 on: June 26, 2020, 12:26:04 PM »
Cage da gawd :rejoice
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35246 on: June 26, 2020, 05:32:00 PM »
Resident Evil 7

There was a thunderstorm outside so why not.... fuckin' bugs  :killme

I thought for a moment that I could take the chainsaw with me and start murdering fools after the battle against Daddy. The flamethrower is nice though, stupid bitch  :pimp
[close]
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #35247 on: June 26, 2020, 06:42:54 PM »
Cage da gawd :rejoice

lol, I dunno about that. I don't think any of his previous games are greattt (I probably liked Heavy Rain the most of the three), but they're solid enough adventure games with $$$ visuals if you like PnC adventure games.

Bebpo

« Reply #35248 on: June 28, 2020, 03:06:22 AM »
Started playing Housemarque's Nex Machina. I never knew this game existed and I like Housemarque. This is pretty great twin stick shooter but fuck it's hard. Feels like they're going for a hotline miami kinda die/die/die and learn a level style with the 99 continues on normal. I got to world 3 of 5 and called it good for now. Kinda sucks that you can't save between worlds and have to run the whole game in one sitting since each world is 15 stages which is a bit long. I remember having that same issue with Super Stardust.

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #35249 on: June 28, 2020, 11:05:30 AM »
Finished tlou 2

I enjoyed it, it's a good game

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #35250 on: June 28, 2020, 03:01:27 PM »
Started playing Housemarque's Nex Machina. I never knew this game existed and I like Housemarque. This is pretty great twin stick shooter but fuck it's hard. Feels like they're going for a hotline miami kinda die/die/die and learn a level style with the 99 continues on normal. I got to world 3 of 5 and called it good for now. Kinda sucks that you can't save between worlds and have to run the whole game in one sitting since each world is 15 stages which is a bit long. I remember having that same issue with Super Stardust.

Yeah it's fucking hard, great game though. Not all of the shot types are created equal. Great game I still play often. Really looking forward to their take on TPS

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35251 on: June 28, 2020, 06:11:51 PM »
Played a lot of Resident Evil 7 today.
Wow wow wow wow. I continue to be impressed with this game.

The birthday party sequence was super fucked up, like burning alive, holy fucking shit  :lol
[close]
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #35252 on: June 28, 2020, 08:04:56 PM »
Just kinda clicking around on my huge indie game backlog and trying random stuff atm.

Beat Lieat I - Short little Japanese indie rpg. Only about an hour long and takes place in one town. The music is really good and the spritework carries a lot of personality in that Nippon Ichi extreme low pixel way. The combat is pretty simple being so short, but the final boss was a good challenge. It's a cute little story and comfort nostalgic gaming for me growing up on this stuff during SNES->PS2 days. The game comes with Lieat I/II/III, so will probably play the sequel stories too.

Reminds me a little of Kino's Journey?

Svejk

« Reply #35253 on: June 29, 2020, 09:45:08 AM »
I'm nearing the end of Fallen Order I think. (About 85-90%ish?)  It's been a fun Star Warsy adventure, but man... it definitely needs more polish... you can tell it was rushed more than most games...  Either that, or it despises my HDD or something...  The main thing is the audio buggery and syncing...

Took a quick break from it to try Sekiro mods again on my PC.  It was initially messed up with something and wasn't showing certain things ( I think it was the Tenchu UI graphics)... Plus the Kunoichi model looked ...not that great and very out of place... So I deleted all the mods and started from scratch.  This time I'm using a Ayame inspired mod with the prosthetic still and even had a voice change tweak to it, so it looks and feels much more natural to the game.  Totally going to play it this way!

I still can't get over how good this looks on my PC over PS4... I feel like I've been lied to about my PS4 this whole time. LOL

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #35254 on: June 29, 2020, 11:02:31 AM »
Sell that old PS4, invest i n your pc, then buy a ps5 later so u get all your games back on ps5
What

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #35255 on: June 29, 2020, 12:33:56 PM »
i gotta stop sleeping on sekiro

Svejk

« Reply #35256 on: June 29, 2020, 12:53:02 PM »
i gotta stop sleeping on sekiro
I'm sure many others will disagree, but Sekiro makes me have a Love/Hate relationship with FromSoft.    I LOVE that they finally revisited Tenchu in spirit, but hate, hate, HATE that they shoehorned Souls shit into it.  The losing exp when you die, on top of the DragonRot mechanic, kills a lot of the fun of the game imo.  The fights can be very challenging, which is fine (for the most part), but the whole losing exp doesn’t fit in this game.  Feeling the need to grind in a non-ARPG is a big no no to me.  It’s like they put it in there just to appease to Souls fans.  Modded that shit out.  Git Gud can Git on deez nutz.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35257 on: June 29, 2020, 01:05:10 PM »
As a Tenchu fan, i think the Sekiro comparisons are really farfetched.
It may have started as a Tenchu project, but it certainly retained nothing of it.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #35258 on: June 29, 2020, 01:37:33 PM »
Id rather have a new Ninja Gaiden from Itagaki god but Sekiro is cool too
What

Svejk

« Reply #35259 on: June 29, 2020, 01:57:39 PM »
As a Tenchu fan, i think the Sekiro comparisons are really farfetched.
It may have started as a Tenchu project, but it certainly retained nothing of it.
You think so?  Personally, I find it hard to ignore the Tenchu vibes from it...  I mean, I can see it being so tainted with Souls crap to deter that, but the core gameplay mechanics feel the same to me, especially with the grapple, albeit more free range with such vast environments.   That being said too, it loses some of the arcadey type elements like Fatal Shadows had due to smaller environments, but after modding out/altering the Souls-like elements, this game feels like the brand new Tenchu I've been wanting since Tenchu Z (which was such a huge disappointment, even though I platinum'd it... or 1000 gamescore..whatever xbox does).  It has it's strange corrupt cults, creature like beings, trees you can jump in (fucking FINALLY since Tenchu 1), gritty art style and story... other than the scale tipping slightly more to the combat than stealth, this game gives me those Tenchu vibes I've missed for so long.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35260 on: June 29, 2020, 03:20:59 PM »
Tenchu did dabble in supernatural stuff (though, at least the first two from Acquire, not really all that much, aside from Lord Mei Oh and Onikage being sort of immortal) but in terms of vibes, Sekiro is so grand, fantasy and removed from realism, that definitely feels more of a Japanese Souls, to me.

Gameplay wise it ditched a lot of the Souls aspects, it's more action, but its stealth mechanics are so bare bones and basic that even there, i don't feel like i'm playing a Tenchu most of the time, the gameplay loop is just fundamentally different.

In Tenchu you're genuinely trying to complete a level never being seen, to get Grand Master.
In Sekiro, the extent of Stealth is mainly to remove a healthbar from mini bosses.

paprikastaude

« Reply #35261 on: June 29, 2020, 03:52:19 PM »
Dead Space 2 - Why do I have what feels like all suits and weapons for free at the beginning? Is this normal, does anyone remember?

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #35262 on: June 29, 2020, 04:10:50 PM »
Dead Space 2 - Why do I have what feels like all suits and weapons for free at the beginning? Is this normal, does anyone remember?

Preorder/Collector's Edition/etc DLC that was included out of the box in the PC version.
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35263 on: June 29, 2020, 05:48:59 PM »
Completed Resident Evil 7.  :whew

What I loved about it:
- Unlike other recent Resident Evil games this one actually gave me a few jump scares
- The environmental design and puzzles are interesting and well made (but this is usually the case in modern RE's)
- Visually it looks great although character models aren't quite on the RE2/RE3 level
- The focus on the family members as 'bosses' and the relatively small scope of the story
- The first person cinematics
- Fun references and easter eggs to previous Resident Evils like the chainsaws
- The VHS mechanic showing you earlier events to help you progress in the game
- The pacing is great, not a lot of filler content and padding, with just a slight dip halfway reminded me a lot of RE4 in that regard

What I liked less:
- Although it looks great, I feel that the piss and poo filter is a bit too aggressive and reminds me of last gen
- Not a lot of variety in enemies, mostly just the same molded
- The mines are just a straight corridor
- The gun sounds are a letdown
- The family members are fun but the actual big monster bosses are weak

In the end you discover
Creepy grandma was the final boss all along  :lol
[close]

Anyhow it has gotten me even more hyped for Resident Evil 8 and I'm sure gonna check out the DLC episodes I got with the Gold Edition.
🤴

BisMarckie

« Reply #35264 on: June 29, 2020, 08:46:54 PM »
Played some Dad of War. Couple of hours in. This better become good fast because so far it has been incredibly boring. :snore

Bebpo

« Reply #35265 on: June 29, 2020, 08:59:29 PM »
Played some Dad of War. Couple of hours in. This better become good fast because so far it has been incredibly boring. :snore

Nah, it's pretty boring. It gets good in the middle but falls flat again at the end.

Bebpo

« Reply #35266 on: June 29, 2020, 10:20:23 PM »

Lieat legit has great jrpg music. Very impressed by the ost of these games and will follow future games by Miwashiba.

Bebpo

« Reply #35267 on: June 29, 2020, 11:21:21 PM »
Tried Outer Wilds

Seems neat, but I hate the flying & jetpack controls and the fact that there is no save feature at all and you have to play 20 min sittings at a time is Bleh. Enough people have said this is a GoTY quality title, so I wanna give it a fair shot, but will need to play on the weekends when I can play in larger chunks.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35268 on: June 30, 2020, 01:40:40 AM »
I think this is one game that got killed by not running on that infamous SSD.
I assume many of the game's baffling level design and pacing decisions, are down to having to load massive areas """seamlessly""", from a crusty-ass HDD.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35269 on: June 30, 2020, 09:11:27 AM »
Played a bunch more Neutopia and am now up to the final battle. It's a pretty fun game, a slightly more polished version of the original Zelda basically, but it really doesn't do anything -that- original. Some of the boss fights (the ones that aren't blatantly aping Zelda that is) are pretty cool and challenging, and the music is nice as far as Hucard games go.

Also played some FX Unit Yuki - it's a PCE CD homebrew platformer that has sendups of various famed Turbo franchises. A stage based on Cotton, Bonk, Dracula X, etc. The stages go on for a bit too long and the level design isn't terribly inspired, (one stage where you're swimming around an underwater maze looking for levers is a low point), but the music is pretty damn good (all redbook audio). Since it's a homebrew from 2 years ago on a retro system, it's a bit anachronistic with its humor. There are unlimited continues, I wish there was a save feature though.

After this I think I'm gonna start Traysia on Genesis.
^_^

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #35270 on: June 30, 2020, 09:27:48 AM »
Melodics and Kpop America Simulator XV

Freyj

« Reply #35271 on: June 30, 2020, 12:05:56 PM »
Tried Outer Wilds

Seems neat, but I hate the flying & jetpack controls and the fact that there is no save feature at all and you have to play 20 min sittings at a time is Bleh. Enough people have said this is a GoTY quality title, so I wanna give it a fair shot, but will need to play on the weekends when I can play in larger chunks.

I gave it two honest tries on EGS and neither stuck. I see the appeal but not for me.

Bebpo

« Reply #35272 on: June 30, 2020, 01:33:44 PM »
I just can't deal with a game with no ability to save in 2020. I often play stuff in 5-15 min bursts. And unlike a console/portable that has easy sleep mode, on PC it's like I don't want to put my entire PC to sleep.

I wonder if there's a way to sleep mode a specific program on PC?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35273 on: June 30, 2020, 02:23:37 PM »
i've been neck deep in Red Dead Redemption 2 for the last couple weeks and haven't written anything on it because i could easily go on forever about how fucking much i love this game. GTAV was incredible to me and felt like the first time Rockstar had made a really cohesive game, but RDR2 feels even more solid than that. it's like a whole interactive tv series right here on the disc. i understand the slow style is not for everyone but it's exactly what i want right now.

it feels so good to do all the simple sim stuff like hunting, setting up camp, bringing along appropriate attire, heading into town to sell off extras, etc etc. exploring feels good because the map is bursting with small events, unique locations, and tons of weird easter eggs. i never thought i'd see a game do the midwest justice (because who gives a fuck tbh) but it really nails the look so much so that it's great to poke around for new plants or check out the great views.

also the amount of dialog and animations in the game is absurd. i can't even imagine how much work they put into the campsites; there's never been a "town" in video games that has this much detail and character in it. you can wake up and say good morning to everyone while doing chores, go out on a quest or two, come back in the evening and talk about your day with others while singing songs over the campfire, view some unique interactions, then head to bed and do it all over again. the way the missions all work as interactions with your gang works so much better than taking on tasks from randoms like in previous rockstar games.

blah blah blah anyways this game is incredibly detailed and ridiculously fun and i love it. can't wait to keep going.
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #35274 on: June 30, 2020, 02:27:04 PM »
also the amount of dialog and animations in the game is absurd. i can't even imagine how much work they put into the campsites; there's never been a "town" in video games that has this much detail and character in it. you can wake up and say good morning to everyone while doing chores, go out on a quest or two, come back in the evening and talk about your day with others while singing songs over the campfire, view some unique interactions, then head to bed and do it all over again. the way the missions all work as interactions with your gang works so much better than taking on tasks from randoms like in previous rockstar games.

Yeah, the camp is amazing. In all the time I played I kept seeing people do new things and having new conversations. There's so much content with them it brings them to life instead of feeling like npcs on a repeat routine.

BisMarckie

« Reply #35275 on: June 30, 2020, 05:21:29 PM »
Dad of War update: Stopped playing it and instead bought the physical Stardew Valley collector edition.
Dad of War is just boring, heavy handed and combines the worst parts of cinematic gaming.
10/10 game, it has a little something for everyone

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35276 on: June 30, 2020, 06:38:40 PM »
Finished Katana Zero.
It's fun, but super short, and this is a really shameless "part 1" of the story.
Should've been called "episode 1" or something, they throw in a lot of characters that you never interact with, and just ends at the story's act 1.
In general it also has just too few levels.

The core gameplay is a bit shallow but fun.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #35277 on: July 01, 2020, 08:04:10 AM »
Im playing Sleeping Dogs, just got past the wedding  this time im going to finish it!

Question are all the side missions worth my time?
What

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #35278 on: July 01, 2020, 10:19:32 AM »
Im playing Sleeping Dogs, just got past the wedding  this time im going to finish it!

Question are all the side missions worth my time?

It's been a long time since I played the game, but it's one of the few open world ones that I got 100% completion on.  Generally they are, the cash comes in handy and (more importantly) they will give you extra experience to level up your abilities.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35279 on: July 01, 2020, 05:59:21 PM »
Beat the NOD campaign of C&C: Remastered today

Mission 11 is some bullshit and after that everything else is a cakewalk.
The ending cinematic is pretty wild. NOD hackers taking over the Ion Cannon.

I destroyed the White House, obviously  8)
🤴