Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 1602497 times)

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #35220 on: September 11, 2019, 11:21:56 PM »
Playing WoW classic, and cycling thru steam indie games (rimworld, baba is you, painscreek killings) something about indie games I just like more nowadays than most AAA games, they donít have a lot of bloat or MTXs, they try different things (paincreeks killings is literally a walking simulator that you deduce who murdered someone by exploring the abandoned town for clues and then taking your guess at the end).

Itís just eye opening sometimes looking at modern games and how bloated theyíve become. I mean I did love playing though red dead 2, but give me the more byte-sized ďout thereĒ stuff 9 times outta 10.

Borys

• CAPTAIN OF XBOX DEATH SQUAD
« Reply #35221 on: September 12, 2019, 05:50:27 AM »
Platinumed Remnant - From the Ashes which is a fantastic SOULS WITH GUNS title.

Worst thing about this game is that it has MP only achievements (had to buy Xbox Live Gold).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 05:00:00 AM by Borys »

Bebpo

« Reply #35222 on: September 12, 2019, 04:23:25 PM »
How does it compare to the Soulsborne games?

Fifstar

« Reply #35223 on: September 12, 2019, 04:47:26 PM »
Just tried Ori and the Blind Forest four half an hour and felt it's kinda boring. Does i get better or is is just a run of the mill metroidvania with pretty graphics?
Gulp

Borys

« Reply #35224 on: September 13, 2019, 05:18:22 AM »
How does it compare to the Soulsborne games?

It's same but different kind of experience.

For starters any Souls game (cept Sekiro) has 3 levels of difficulty:

- EASY: use ranged magic
- NORMAL: use melee
- HARD: never level up (SL1 runs)

Remnant for 99.9% of its time is a ranged game. You use guns. Tons of guns. Sniper rifles, shotguns, UZIs, crossbows, hunting rifles, tommy gun etc. Yea there is melee but it is used for breaking crates. There are 2 mandatory bosses in the game that are unbeatable with melee weapons (as they are flying).

Imagine playing DS1/2/3 where you have - from the beginning - a super powered ranged weapon that drops mobs in 1-2 shots. And they leave ammo for it. It would be hella easy no? That is why Remnant has another thing going for it.

Adds.
Mobs.
Spawns.

Every single boss inside the game (there are 25+ bosses) has infinite amount of adds/ mobs/ spawns around him. You cannot clear them and focus on the boss, nuh huh, they will regenerate/ respawn wither immediately or after 10 seconds. This is their way of making Soulsborne bosses challenging while having ranged damage players.

If you cannot deal with the adds either by avoiding them or splitting your attention between damaging boss and killing the adds the game will be... very frustrating. I know I hated Soulsborne bosses with adds: The Royal Rat Authority, Skeleton Lords, Magus etc. They were kind of garbage challenges in Soulsborne games where the gameplay is geared towards 1 on 1 challenges. In Remnant there is no boss without adds. Yes, even twin bosses (think Ornstein & Smough, Twin Princess etc.) have additional adds... it is quite the headache.

The world is randomly generated from a pool of sets. You have your 4 main worlds and then they are generated from sets so for instance World #1 has 6 side bosses and 2 main bosses in the pool. Each campaign/ playthrough picks 3 out of those side bosses and 1 out of those main bosses. Yes, there are achievements for killing both main bosses so you have to do multiple, RNG playthroughs (you can reach the same main boss many times and lose tons of hours).

Gameplay and gunplay is fantastic. People are comparing it to The Division for what its worth. It is not a "janky" eurotrash Soulsborne clone. None of it. The game has its own flavour, brand and stands on its own. It is precisely what people are fantasizing about: what if FROM created sci-fi souls?!?

SOULS WITH GUNS!!!

There are Remnantish bonfires, estus, upgrade materials (shards, chunks, slabs), rings, armor etc. Armor sets give bonuses like in Diablo. Weapons have interchangeable mods - think Dark Souls 3 "arts" - but here they are ESSENTIAL for beating the game. I never used a single "Art" in DS3 in Remnant I was switching them up like crazy.

Game has that Soulsborne hidden lore, Soulsborne hidden merchants and even branching points re: fighting bosses or not for different rewards (you can talk your way out sometimes if you have particular items). It's kind of refreshing in a Soulsborne game. Of course there are FOG WALLS before boss battles :)

If you like shooters (Destiny, Division) - but only the shooting part, there is no loot here as in shooter looters - and if you like Soulsborne games then this is a no brainer. Highly recommended. Game has amazing word of mouth for what its worth. Climbing those sales charts.

It's like Souls.... but kind of different.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 05:50:39 AM by Borys »

Borys

« Reply #35225 on: September 13, 2019, 12:51:13 PM »
Here's me vs a boss to give you an idea how the boss fights go. This was the winning attempt. The mods I have are also obtained from RNG bosses so bless up the RNG gods in my playthrough :bow

Legit Soulsborne title.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Botô
« Reply #35226 on: September 14, 2019, 01:36:10 PM »
Tetris on the GB. :rejoice

Svejk

« Reply #35227 on: September 14, 2019, 02:15:58 PM »
Started a Dark Knight class in Black Desert.  Still trying to learn the ropes.  Shit's kinda confusing... I thought I went onto the map and purchased a dwelling... I go to it and it's spire, but says I can't enter it with no explanation as to why.  And also the Central market... I dump my silver to it.  Went to purchase an armor set which showed being available, and when I did, it's not in my inventory... Wth am I doing wrong?  Getting a bit tired of having to look up shit in this game.

Also tried Arkham Knight.  Having not played any prior Arkham games, this game is impressive so far.  Went ahead and scooped the 1989 costume set.  8).  I may get into this game. ..

Which has me thinking... With the season practically here, wanted to play something Halloween-ish.  Arkham seems fitting, but I also have Bloodborne I only recently started.. Also fitting.   A bit torn on which though... A bit Souls fatigued after Dark Souls 3, so I'm leaning more towards AK.  Not a big fan of super hero stuff anymore like I use to, but it seems like a breath of fresh air in the genre for me.

Spieler1

« Reply #35228 on: September 14, 2019, 04:38:31 PM »
Also tried Arkham Knight.  Having not played any prior Arkham games, this game is impressive so far.  Went ahead and scooped the 1989 costume set.  8).  I may get into this game. ..

Start with the others. Though the remasters are poor last I heard.

Bebpo

« Reply #35229 on: September 14, 2019, 06:02:17 PM »
Thanks for the write up Borys, looks great. Will give it a play sometime in the near future. Always up for more Souls.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #35230 on: September 15, 2019, 02:37:54 AM »
Remnant is cash af
reckt

Svejk

« Reply #35231 on: September 15, 2019, 11:52:40 AM »

Start with the others. Though the remasters are poor last I heard.
I would if I had the time.   :-\  I just wanted to give it a try since it was free, but it's hitting some nostalgic chords kinda hard.  Besides the dlc suit, I get total 1989 Batman vibes form this game around the board.  This is the Batman game I always wanted as a kid!  I'm not too into the story in terms of keeping up with all the villains and whatnot, I just always liked all the gadgets and fighting n' shit.

Edit: Has it really been 30 years?!  Fuuuuuuuuuuuu I'm getting old. 

Spieler1

« Reply #35232 on: September 15, 2019, 12:18:13 PM »
it's not for the story, the prior games were better. pretty sure most of them have tons of additional suits also - at least City.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 07:01:56 PM by Spieler1 »

MMaRsu

« Reply #35233 on: September 15, 2019, 05:16:31 PM »
Remnant is cash af

Hi can you stop stealing my avatar thanks

The Sceneman

• got the hat on
« Reply #35234 on: September 15, 2019, 06:52:26 PM »
All Void Bastards, all of the time!!!

Game is so good. Will write a review at some point if I can be bothered

Bebpo

« Reply #35235 on: September 15, 2019, 09:02:26 PM »
Tried Fight N' Rage and got to stage 5 on normal before suspend quitting because need a break. It's pretty fun and good beat 'em up. Was kinda hoping the difficulty would ramp up quicker because I didn't want to play this long on my first run, just wanted to check it out. Also people were saying the combo system is really good so I went in expecting something combo-heavy like Guardian Heroes but the extent of combo seems to basically be wall juggles (or 2p stuff but I'm just playing 1p). Definitely seems worth the $4 or whatever it is on sale right now.

Bebpo

« Reply #35236 on: September 16, 2019, 02:24:23 AM »
Here's me vs a boss to give you an idea how the boss fights go. This was the winning attempt. The mods I have are also obtained from RNG bosses so bless up the RNG gods in my playthrough :bow

Legit Soulsborne title.

I was asking a friend about this game because they bought it when it came out and was wondering if they were in line with your opinions and they told me the game is designed for co-op and solo sucks. Did you do the whole thing solo?

Borys

« Reply #35237 on: September 16, 2019, 06:06:49 AM »
Solo, of course. MP only for the last achievement (after getting 39/40 achievements) which contains: getting killed by a co-op partner (friendly fire) 10 times, getting revived by a co-op partner 10 times, reviving a co-op partner 10 times.

I joined a pub game and we didn't even do any boss. I am thinking bosses are hella easy in co-op because the 1st player focuses exclusively on the boss while 2nd player focuses exclusively on the adds.

MMaRsu

« Reply #35238 on: September 16, 2019, 09:01:16 AM »
Lets not forget Borys is a legend

Borys

« Reply #35239 on: September 16, 2019, 01:20:42 PM »
I'd replay this game from start to finish with Bebpo online, nuff said.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Botô
« Reply #35240 on: September 16, 2019, 02:52:40 PM »
Tetris
Dr. Mario
Operation C
Burai Fighter DX
Double Dragon
SML
SML 2
SML 3 Wario
Gargoyles Quest
Kirby's Pinball
Lock N Chase

Gameboy :rejoice

« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 09:06:41 AM by D3RANG3D »

CatsCatsCats

« Reply #35241 on: September 16, 2019, 02:54:35 PM »
Liked Dead Cells so much for free on Xbox I had to buy it for switch
😽💨

Borys

« Reply #35242 on: September 17, 2019, 04:09:09 AM »
Decided to continue my Souls-like binge and bought The Surge for $15.

Nobody told me it's like... Dead Space? Dead Space Souls.

The combat is... incredibly boring. Imagine running as Havel the Rock the whole fucking time and having your light attacks coming 3 seconds after you press the button... it's all just super slow, rigid, elongated.

Soulsborne features:

- corpse runs (this time on a counter)
- weapon upgrades
- Estus
- medbays --> bonfires
- upgrade shards, chunks, slabs etc.
- stamina/ blocking system
- fancy bosses with FOG GATES
- tons of shortcuts to bonfires
- weapons scaling to your level
- etc.

I mean the usual stuff... almost a carbon copy of the mechanics with some singular new ideas thrown into the mix:

- risk vs reward when not visiting bonfires for a long time: the longer you do not rest at a bonfire the bigger the multiplier for obtained "souls" after killing enemies
- interchangeable mods on your armor: pretty nifty idea... you get some slots for found mods and there are TONS of them available: from -10% Stamina Cost, +10% More Souls Gain, Estus Healing, +2 Weapon Proficiency etc. to Auto-Healing when Near Death

But wait there is more... there is some creepy, horror-like shit going on in this game. The intro was... something else and I was not expecting that :D Game veers towards Dead Space very strongly with:

- audio logs
- limb dismemberment system --> pretty cool as you get different rewards for different limbs being cut off
- horror atmosphere
- general aesthetic (blood & gore in a sci-fi enviros)

The mash up kind of works. Unfortunately it is a boring, unimaginative title that doesn't really invent anything in the genre. Worth $10 at least but really if you are starved for Souls content before Elden Ring hits.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ E L D E N   R I N G

MMaRsu

« Reply #35243 on: September 17, 2019, 06:19:20 AM »
Eh the Surge is to Dead Space like Pitch Black is to Event Horizon

Borys

« Reply #35244 on: September 17, 2019, 06:47:22 AM »
That's a great analogy :lol

I didn't even know The Surge 2 drops this month. It's supposedly open world.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35245 on: September 17, 2019, 09:03:41 AM »
Yeah, The Surge is just...fine. It's got a few things going for it, but never really takes off in an way that makes the overall package particularly interesting. Got it cheap, played for a while, then moved on.
dog

Stoney Mason

• No, little boy. Children shouldn't be on the court.
« Reply #35246 on: September 18, 2019, 12:23:15 PM »
Got and beat that game A Way Out which was recently on sale.

I liked it with some caveats. I was surprised at how much of the game was out of the prison compared to in the prison. I thought it would be some elaborate and involved scheme to get out but it really isn't. You get out fairly quickly and simply.

Outside of that, I thought it was a good amount of fun if you get it at the right price. If I had bought it at full price, I would be much more tough on the experience but paying as much as I did for it puts it in the proper sort of context for fun/dollar value.

I kinda dug the ending. Surprised they went that way also. 

Mr Gilhaney

• Gaͨrͧfͫield
« Reply #35247 on: September 18, 2019, 05:47:53 PM »

MR GILHANEY IS BACK WIHT THE BIG  :brain PLAYS AGAINST SMOOTH BRAIN RUSKIS
b♿re

Bebpo

« Reply #35248 on: September 19, 2019, 02:06:32 AM »
I finally got around to playing Vanillaware's 13 Sentinels Prologue paid 3-4 hour demo and hoooooooolyyyyy mooooolly I can't believe I slept on this for so long. It's really awesome. Like it's a visual novel/adventure game but the art is fucking amazing and it's the most beautiful adv I've ever played. The story is cool and the way it's paced and cuts between scenes at different PoVs and different time periods from the 1940s to 2064 and is like epic time traveling tons of character sci-fi mecha vs aliens end of the world scenario is fucking cool. Also absolutely fantastic VA on the JP audio.

Gonna be there day 1 for the Japan release in November. Could be Vanillaware's best game. It's awesome it's getting western localization and hopefully it won't come too much later.

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #35249 on: September 19, 2019, 12:45:38 PM »
Undertale

So far, it reminds me of Earthbound so much that I'd rather just play Earthbound, which is a far, far superior game. :zzz
Never

MMaRsu

« Reply #35250 on: September 19, 2019, 02:14:05 PM »
 ???

dafuq

I never played Earthbound but Undertale is glorious. How far are you? I thought it was really amazing, since I had no knowledge of the game besides the name really  :lol.

I did read beforehand the game is much better if you go the pacifist route, so that's what I did. I just talked to everyone. Man what a glorious game.

MMaRsu

« Reply #35251 on: September 19, 2019, 02:16:00 PM »

MR GILHANEY IS BACK WIHT THE BIG  :brain PLAYS AGAINST SMOOTH BRAIN RUSKIS

oh shit son  :lawd :leon

Bebpo

« Reply #35252 on: September 19, 2019, 02:22:41 PM »
MMarasu, play Earthbound. Still good.

Undertale

So far, it reminds me of Earthbound so much that I'd rather just play Earthbound, which is a far, far superior game. :zzz

::)

Because Earthbound was a shmup.

Anyhow opening for Undertale sucks until you get to Sans. Did you get to Sans?

nachobro

• Live MŠs
« Reply #35253 on: September 19, 2019, 02:24:45 PM »
the feel of undertale reminded me of earthbound as well but i never got too far into it. it's one of those i know i'll get back to "one day".

it's dumb but the amount of times i'd hear that i NEEDED to play undertale and how AMAZING it was made me really less interested in it :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #35254 on: September 19, 2019, 02:26:11 PM »
Itís much more than an Earthbound clone. The battle system is darn good & incredibly original.

nachobro

• Live MŠs
« Reply #35255 on: September 19, 2019, 02:28:31 PM »
it's on game pass so perhaps i'll pop back in once i finish the ffxiv story. an rpg like that seems well suited to switch but i'm sticking to my "no game purchases til cyberpunk" stance :lol

MMaRsu

« Reply #35256 on: September 19, 2019, 02:32:47 PM »
Well if it's on Gamepass it can't hurt to get back into it. It's not even that long either.

Yeah I might play Earthbound if I get the time for it. It's on my SNES Mini which never gets any love :(

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35257 on: September 19, 2019, 02:37:53 PM »
M E G A L O V A N I A
dog

nachobro

• Live MŠs
« Reply #35258 on: September 19, 2019, 02:46:12 PM »
i went back to earthbound a year or so ago and was surprised at how difficult it was. i don't remember having to grind as much when i was playing it as a kid :lol

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #35259 on: September 19, 2019, 02:48:24 PM »
Undertale requires no grinding and can easily be beat on Lv 1.
©@©ô

MMaRsu

« Reply #35260 on: September 19, 2019, 03:32:40 PM »
I cannot bring myself to replay it tho

but thats not because the game isnt good

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35261 on: September 19, 2019, 04:29:39 PM »
i went back to earthbound a year or so ago and was surprised at how difficult it was. i don't remember having to grind as much when i was playing it as a kid :lol

The intro is kinda rough. The difficulty evens out around Threed I think.
fat

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #35262 on: September 19, 2019, 04:34:47 PM »
???

dafuq

I never played Earthbound but Undertale is glorious. How far are you? I thought it was really amazing, since I had no knowledge of the game besides the name really  :lol.

I did read beforehand the game is much better if you go the pacifist route, so that's what I did. I just talked to everyone. Man what a glorious game.

Made it to the first town.

The dungeon with the skeletons and the puzzles was kind of embarrassing. I'm not going to have to keep doing bad puzzles am I? The dungeon design seems to be "going from point A to point B". It's good that resources are limited. I haven't killed an enemy so far. I liked that it kept track that I restarted the game after killing the giant Furry at the beginning when I didn't want to after looking up the solution online.

I've gone pacifist route.

So far it just feels fan made game and not a professional product.

MMarasu, play Earthbound. Still good.

Undertale

::)

Because Earthbound was a shmup.

Anyhow opening for Undertale sucks until you get to Sans. Did you get to Sans?

Yeah I met Sans and his incredibly incompetent brother and got tired of how dumb he was and the "puzzles".
Never

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #35263 on: September 19, 2019, 04:35:50 PM »

There's this mountain dungeon that's a challenge at first. It's the worst part of the game. Then it's smooth sailing and the game never lets up.
Never

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35264 on: September 19, 2019, 05:08:42 PM »
Undertale had some interesting ideas with the 4th wall breaking and save scumming, and I liked the bullet hell combat that changes based on your enemy, and also excellent music (the lava dungeon especially)... the game's characterization and dialogue just felt wayyy too hard to tug at your heartstrings or be memeable, that it became overbearing. The rabid fanbase made that even more obnoxious too.
HOUSE

MMaRsu

« Reply #35265 on: September 19, 2019, 05:33:07 PM »
Ive said this before and Ill say it again, every series has a rabid fanbase. Just avoid all contact with crazy fanbases.

Except maybe Trekkies, those are cool.

MMaRsu

« Reply #35266 on: September 19, 2019, 05:33:59 PM »
Also Cindi I really can't remember many actual 'puzzles' in Undertale but I could be mistaken.

It's more like an awesome little rpg adventure. And with the music..man the music is dope!

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #35267 on: September 19, 2019, 07:19:17 PM »
Okay Undertale gets good during the first town and the battle(s) with Papyrus. I went on a date with him. What the fuck.
Never

MMaRsu

« Reply #35268 on: September 19, 2019, 08:00:50 PM »
yeah once you hit that first town it starts to pick up and also the music!

that papyrus guys seems like a lovable idiot sorta guy

i didnt even really care fot that sans dude all that much myself

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #35269 on: September 19, 2019, 10:21:53 PM »
Past Undyne.

Itís a solid game. While the battle system is unique though, as someone playing a level 1 no kill run I donít find it fun. :yeshrug Itís gimmicky. It relies far too much on knowledge. While enemies require knowledge in many single player games usually you can win if youíre careful. In Undertale each enemy uses a unique attack pattern so itís almost impossible to beat a boss on a first try. Which means you have to learn their entire attack pattern. Moreover, the battles just go on and on and on until you find the gimmick.

So while I can admit itís unique I also donít find that itís actually any good nor actual fun.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 10:41:34 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
Never

Bebpo

« Reply #35270 on: September 19, 2019, 11:10:45 PM »
Why are you trying to do a lvl.1 no kill run on your first run  :mindblown
You sound like you're doing a Borys run. Of course it's going to be less fun.

Just play it normal.

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #35271 on: September 19, 2019, 11:24:11 PM »
"Trying"? I'm just playing what feels natural. There's no goal here. I don't want to hurt anybody. If given the option I'll always try to do non-lethal manners of play. I thought the game was offering these options because it means it'll allow you to play it any way you want it to. You mean you're not supposed to play it this way the first time? What's even playing "normal"? Seems I was right: Undertale is a knowledge game. I'm playing this blind.
Never

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #35272 on: September 20, 2019, 12:47:34 AM »
Why are you trying to do a lvl.1 no kill run on your first run  :mindblown
You sound like you're doing a Borys run. Of course it's going to be less fun.

Just play it normal.

A no kill run is normal, you monster.
©@©ô

Bebpo

« Reply #35273 on: September 20, 2019, 01:16:12 AM »
idk, I just played normally and I killed a few guys. It happens?

Nintex

• Unindicted co-conspirator engineer
« Reply #35274 on: September 20, 2019, 02:55:14 AM »
In Earthbound you're just fucking around and what could a New Age Retro Hippie or a Clumsy Robot do when Tough Guy goes down in 1 hit. Instant murder of children that's what.
god

MMaRsu

« Reply #35275 on: September 20, 2019, 07:08:49 AM »
idk, I just played normally and I killed a few guys. It happens?

Aww so u didnt even get the real ending? That sucks man :/.

But seriously cindi git gut because I dont remember dying to any bosses in undertale once except maybe one boss

Its not really a knowledge game afaik, I didnt have any going in and never looked anything up besides the no kill thing.

That part doesnt actually make the game harder though? The battles are very much the same either way I believe

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #35276 on: September 21, 2019, 11:51:23 AM »
Git gud? Lol the game isnít hard. Iím criticizing the way the game mechanics are structured.

Take Undyne.

It introduces a new battle mechanic (green mode) and its half way through the game.

Thatís knowledge.

Then it introduces a bullet you have no idea how to counteract without experimentation. The one that goes to one side and then to another.

Level 1? Youíre gonna die a few times figuring things out because you simply lack the HP to survive and you might be down on resources.

Then you have to figure out the bosses every single pattern. Some patterns are hard to react to without knowledge. Bebpo compared it to a 2D shooter but 2D shooters teach you all of the ins and outs on level 1.

Ergo, Undertale is a game of knowledge. Not a game of skill. And an RPG based on knowledge is tedious as fuck. Most games teeter on the balance of being knowledge-based or skill-based. Soulsborne works out by balancing both. Undertale, with its unique enemy attack patterns and modes requires knowledge and it keeps introducing new elements more than halfway through the game despite being a 6 hour game.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 11:59:52 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
Never

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #35277 on: September 21, 2019, 01:12:33 PM »
lol what the hell. The game keeps introducing new mechanics and elements and itís end game.

At least the game tells you what orange is for beforehand.

If you make a 6 hour game and youíre still introducing new elements by hour 5 you fucked up. Rather than have you go through crappy ďpuzzlesĒ in the beginning they should have taught you Blue, green, orange out the gate and made the intro dungeon for learning that. Then build from there.

Poor game design. If Undertale designer made Mario, they would have had you go down a pipe on 7-1 rather than 1-1
Never

Bebpo

« Reply #35278 on: September 21, 2019, 01:19:32 PM »
Cindi, your posts on Undertale fucking trigger me.

So now introducing new fresh things all the way through a game is a bad thing  :doge :doge :doge :doge

I wish every game did that. This is why most people don't finish videogames! And why most games are front-loaded. Because after a certain point it's just repeating the same loop/mechanics over and over without anything new. Games that keep introducing stuff until the end are awesome.

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #35279 on: September 21, 2019, 01:34:12 PM »
I prefer games that force mastery.

Introduce all the elements at the front. Build up, make it more complex as it goes on. Making twists to those elements is how you keep things fresh. You get Cappy on the first level of Mario Odyssey. So the game has you master Cappy and platforming with him. Then you get to a level where YOU DONíT HAVE CAPPY. Which forces you to master the game without him. Thatís the twist and how you keep things fresh.

A good game puts all its cards on the table right from the beginning and twists and pulls those elements to fit new situations.

Otherwise weíd be using the i-block in Tetris on level 10 rather than 1. Or Ikaruga introducing black bullets on level 5.

Basically, you can tell Undertale is a fan game.
Never